NATION

PASSWORD

Which God?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ashaven
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ashaven » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:56 pm

Lelouche wrote:
Muravyets wrote:.

EDIT: Last word: "24" would be far from the only show or movie to act as propaganda for an ideology. Hell, "Avatar" is a big liberal screed, I hear. There's nothing wrong with selling one's world view via the arts. It's part of what the arts are for. It's just that I happen to view "24"'s world view as pernicious, false, corrupt, and just about every other bad thing you can think of.

lol, Avatar is the exact same plot as for Battle for Terra. it's not even original

and yeah, I wouldn't take 24 as a lesson in the way people should view the world either

Yeah, I actually had Battle for Terra confused with Avatar when Avatar came out.
May your beds be warm and your markets free! - Ashaven

My military is entirely feasible. - Kharsus

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:56 pm

Ashaven wrote:
Muravyets wrote:
Nordicus wrote:
Muravyets wrote:You just keep saying the same things over and over again, including the same flames and insults. You add nothing to the debate. You ignore half the points that are made to misrepresent what I said. You run in circles. (EDIT: When called on your flaming reflex, you backpedal while still trying to cop a superior attitude.) You're boring me. Back into the box you go. 'Bye.

Yeah, except that you did misinterpret what was a pretty clear statement on his part, given the context. Seriously, this is your response to him clarifying that for you? You are doing nothing except proving him right to the onlookers.

No, I didn't, and (ahem, official statement) I am not the topic of this thread.

Too late :(

Too late for what? For me not to be the topic of this thread? I swear if that OP tries to worship me, I'll kick his ass.
Kick back at Cafe Muravyets
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )
I agree with Muravyets because she scares me. -- Verdigroth
However, I am still not the topic of this thread.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:12 pm

Muravyets wrote:
Ashaven wrote:
Muravyets wrote:
Nordicus wrote:
Muravyets wrote:You just keep saying the same things over and over again, including the same flames and insults. You add nothing to the debate. You ignore half the points that are made to misrepresent what I said. You run in circles. (EDIT: When called on your flaming reflex, you backpedal while still trying to cop a superior attitude.) You're boring me. Back into the box you go. 'Bye.

Yeah, except that you did misinterpret what was a pretty clear statement on his part, given the context. Seriously, this is your response to him clarifying that for you? You are doing nothing except proving him right to the onlookers.

Too late for what? For me not to be the topic of this thread? I swear if that OP tries to worship me, I'll kick his ass.

Hmmm...
I'm not the OP...
*worships Mura*
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:17 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Muravyets wrote:
Ashaven wrote:
Muravyets wrote:
Nordicus wrote:

Hmmm...
I'm not the OP...
*worships Mura*

:eyebrow: I'll deal with you later.

;)
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:18 pm

Muravyets wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:
Muravyets wrote:
Ashaven wrote:
Muravyets wrote:
Nordicus wrote:

Hmmm...
I'm not the OP...
*worships Mura*

;)

Promise?
Definitely a convert, the prayers worked...
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:25 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Muravyets wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:
Muravyets wrote:
Ashaven wrote:
Muravyets wrote:
Nordicus wrote:

Hmmm...
I'm not the OP...
*worships Mura*

;)

Promise?
Definitely a convert, the prayers worked...

:lol2: Oh, all right, yes, I promise. *adds Dyakovo to the list*

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:28 pm

Which makes it occur to me: Wouldn't it be great if gods could refuse worshippers? Like the Soup Nazi -- "No prayer for you!" You know, if someone comes nosing around, looking for a god, and the god doesn't like the cut of their jib, the god could cause some revelation that just says, "Hey you! Yeah, you with the face, your money's not good here. Hit the road, bum."

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:34 pm

Ifreann wrote:You say that now, but you just wait till I find the Babel fish.

The babel fish has SO(32) and E8xE8 gauge symmetries.
A little homework for you!

What part of L(f(t)) = Int(exp(-s*t)*f(t),t,0,inf) don't you understand?

Ashaven
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ashaven » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:35 pm

Muravyets wrote:Which makes it occur to me: Wouldn't it be great if gods could refuse worshippers? Like the Soup Nazi -- "No prayer for you!" You know, if someone comes nosing around, looking for a god, and the god doesn't like the cut of their jib, the god could cause some revelation that just says, "Hey you! Yeah, you with the face, your money's not good here. Hit the road, bum."

Most gods probably would, if they cared about us.
May your beds be warm and your markets free! - Ashaven

My military is entirely feasible. - Kharsus

Unidos
Envoy

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Unidos » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:55 pm

Muravyets wrote:
Small Huts wrote:Alright believers. Let's say I'm willing to grant the supernatural entity's existence, that I've had a personal revelation that leads me to say, "I have felt the presence". Which religion should I follow?

Ki-lo-knee, the great teacher of Tai Kwan Leap

http://www3.pair.com/mtfaco/fun-taekwanleap.html
RepentNowOrPayLater wrote:They aren't hounding you. Hounds chase and yelp and slobber at you.

These ads are more like quiet, brightly colored puppies who ask you if you want a bigger penis.

Unidos
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Unidos » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:20 pm

Risottia wrote:
Velka Morava wrote:
Risottia wrote:
Small Huts wrote:Alright believers. Let's say I'm willing to grant the supernatural entity's existence, that I've had a personal revelation that leads me to say, "I have felt the presence". Which religion should I follow?

A non-genocidal one.

I know it's difficult to find such a god.

Priapus?

That's a good one, though he has been confronting allegations of rape. :lol:

And remember, if your revelation of Priapus lasts more than 4 hours Seek immediate medical help :D
RepentNowOrPayLater wrote:They aren't hounding you. Hounds chase and yelp and slobber at you.

These ads are more like quiet, brightly colored puppies who ask you if you want a bigger penis.

Unidos
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Unidos » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:15 pm

Soviet Commu-Facism wrote:
If I didn't know this 'hell' was made up by powerhungry types to scare the gullible crowd, I'd not be best pleased about the likely overcrowdedness of the place, which in itself could be considered 'hell'.

"Heaven for climate,Hell for society." - Mark Twain

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:18 pm

greed and death wrote:I am my own god, and my birthday is my most important holiday.

Careful there, someone might mistake you for a Satanist. ;)
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Mostrov
Minister

Founded: Aug 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mostrov » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:49 pm

Lelouche wrote:
UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:
Lelouche wrote:Religion is fairly outmoded anyways

The earliest belief system, was none at all
Lower Primates don't have a concept of higher power
I view the move towards such as an example of de-evolution.

There's no such thing as de-evolution.

evolution in a backwards direction

IE the selection of traits, not advantageous to development
of course that's a value judgment

so from a human standpoint, yes it does
from a purely technical standpoint, no. Natural Selection just had a hiccup

Actually Devolution is the decentralization of a government and that is the only meaning of it...

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:19 pm

You know that lady that knocked the Pope over? Her. :)
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Allbeama
Senator

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Allbeama » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:21 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
greed and death wrote:I am my own god, and my birthday is my most important holiday.

Careful there, someone might mistake you for a Satanist. ;)

Hail Satan, y'all! :p
Agonarthis Terra, My Homeworld.
The Internet loves you. mah Factbook

Hope lies in the smouldering rubble of Empires.

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:55 pm

the real god is the one that's big, friendly and invisible, and not obliged to resemble what any belief pretends to know about it (and that includes ALL the names it is or has been called by). gives good hugs too. and i know i'm almost certainly repeating myself saying this.

(a lot of little friendly invisible spirits that give good hugs are mostly harmless and real too)

at least that's how i see it anyway.
Last edited by Cameroi on Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Milks Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Milks Empire » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:01 am

The one that you feel most drawn to.

Diseased Imaginings
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Diseased Imaginings » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:39 am

which God?

I dunno. I suppose the only thing you can do is worship the one/ones that you like. I figure that in the extremely unlikely event that God actually exists, it'll like the fact that you took joy in your pursuit of it. If it doesn't, it's an asshole and not worth your time anyway.

the whole notion of worshiping a vengeful, jealous, and cruel God that restricts the pursuit of inherent pleasure is completely asinine to me.
Last edited by Diseased Imaginings on Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"This topic brings me to that worst outcrop of herd life, the military system, which I abhor... This plague-spot of civilization ought to be abolished with all possible speed. Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!" -Albert Einstein

Zombie PotatoHeads
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Zombie PotatoHeads » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:56 am

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:
Only religion worth following is this one:
http://www.dudeism.com/
How many other religions advocate white russians and bowling?

Small Huts
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Small Huts » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:48 pm

Muravyets wrote: I swear if that OP tries to worship me, I'll kick his ass.

I can respect a god who is intimidating.
Current:
World Assembly Delegate of The United Federation of Planets
Governor of The United Federation of Planets
Cure Squad Security of Equilism
Former:
World Assembly Delegate of Equilism
Chief Minister of Equilism (and minister in all departments)
ερωτâv πάντα

Iniika
Ambassador

Founded: May 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Iniika » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:58 pm

Small Huts wrote:
Muravyets wrote: I swear if that OP tries to worship me, I'll kick his ass.

I can respect a god who is intimidating.

You should read the Gita. Krishna damn near makes Arjuna piss his pants 8D
"Sir, I admit your general rule, / That every poet is a fool; / But you yourself may serve to show it, / That every fool is not a poet."
— Alexander Pope
“He who knows one, knows none.”
- Max Muller
"The English language has rules for a reason. Abusing them doesn't make you a special snowflake; it makes you an idiot."
- Unknown

Coffin-Breathe
Minister

Founded: Nov 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Coffin-Breathe » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:37 pm

This might be helpful:http://godisimaginary.com/

Soviet Commu-Facism
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Commu-Facism » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:21 am

Muravyets wrote:
Muravyets wrote:
F1-Insanity wrote:
Mrl2583838 wrote:Jesus/God (Christianity is definitely the way to go. Read The Case for Christ

Lord of the Rings is fiction too, but more entertaining. So no, thanks. :)

That's a pretty broad statement to make. Read God at Ground Zero; that is totally non-fiction, in fact, it's more of a biography. Not to mention there are millions of stories people who have stories to tell about God, ask any number of them, they are all very good and the majority are very true.

You have no way to prove that "the majority are very true." Assertions of truth in the factual sense of "true" are always totally unprovable for ALL religions, including the one you like. The mere fact that millions of people tell stories does not in any way prove that those stories are true.

In any event, I would argue that claims of "truth" -- meaning external, factual actuality -- are not a reason to worship a god -- any god -- because such claims are always observably false, and almost always traceable to a self-serving motive on behalf of those who promote said claims the most loudly.

In my opinion, a far better reason to worship a god is that said god answers a personal inner need, for which no external proof or testament of others is needed, and for which an understanding of truth or lack thereof is intuitive.

I meant that these were things that actually happened, personal stories not Biblical stories Although 'I' feel the stories of the Bible to be true, I can't make anyone else, even if I could prove them, and I do have some supporting truths. But the stories from other people are all stories that have happened and I know a number of them. If you would like I could tell you a few, but there are many. But still... LET ME BE YOUR GOD!!!! I WILL PURGE YOUR PEOPLE OF IMPURITIES!!!!

As I said, you have absolutely no way to know that these things "actually happened" as described in the stories, if they are the stories of other people which you did not personally witness with your own eyes.

So now officially everyone is a liar? Okay then, I refuse to believe that the world is round until I see it with my own eyes! :palm: Please, it's almost as if your saying that every single story about someone having a personal experience with God is a lie. Well there are a couple hundred billion stories about it. I am lucky enough to have witnessed a few of them. And I go to Church so I see plenty and hear of plenty true miracles. What your saying is another one of those "Do we really exist?" statements.

Also, Dalmatian flagged person said something about them having discovered that some other religion was older. My question; How? Do tell how they determined it. Carbon dating? Sorry, but that system is still theoretical in my opinion due to the fact that too many things can go on in the testing. So really, you don't know. Perhaps I should just go ahead and admit that I can not prove it to anyone, but you can't prove what your trying to prove either. So it is there that we are equal.

Coffin-Breathe
Minister

Founded: Nov 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Coffin-Breathe » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:00 am

Soviet Commu-Facism wrote:I am lucky enough to have witnessed a few of them. And I go to Church so I see plenty and hear of plenty true miracles.

...care to explain, or tell about some ? Would be interesting...which miracle have you seen, and what makes you believe it´s true ?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General