NATION

PASSWORD

Why Is Everyone Hiding Behind Puppets?

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cormactopia Prime
Minister

Founded: Sep 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Cormactopia Prime » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:01 pm

Altheriol wrote:The Honest Defender, meanwhile, is a troll, and is the textbook example of the imagined Defender Under The Bed that stops people like NES and Cormac sleeping at night; and given that no real defender would actually act like that leads us to assume that they're being run as a false flag by somebody like NES or Cormac.

For perhaps the millionth time, I am not "The Honest Defender." I have a doctorate in sh*tposting, not a GED.

Shizensky
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 29, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Shizensky » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:16 pm

I can understand some cases where someone might want to post as a puppet. If someone like Unibot had something really important to say, it might be best to use a puppet or pass the message through someone else. A lot of people get caught up on messenger and often ignore the message itself. Ad hominem is alive and well on the GP forums. I can see legitimate strategic reasons to use a puppet for a GP post.

What's happening now got stale pretty fast though. THD was funny for maybe two posts before it try-harded a little too hard. It'd be a great idea for a regularly satire news bit if it had any grasp on the concept of subtlety. Could you imagine a panel of these accounts? The Honest Defender, The Rowdy Raider, and The Ignorant Independent working together to play the caricatures of GP? It could probably be pretty fun if it wasn't so contrived already.
"Look, that's why there's rules, understand?
So that you think before you break 'em."
My favorite thing about UDP jokes
is I don't care if you get them or not.

The Honest Defender (Ancient II)
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Honest Defender (Ancient II) » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:29 pm

Shizensky wrote:I can understand some cases where someone might want to post as a puppet. If someone like Unibot had something really important to say, it might be best to use a puppet or pass the message through someone else. A lot of people get caught up on messenger and often ignore the message itself. Ad hominem is alive and well on the GP forums. I can see legitimate strategic reasons to use a puppet for a GP post.

Ad hominem is; indeed alive and well. I might use one; there are so many people against the idea of an honest defender; no problem if we hide in the shadows; but the moment we try to be honest; everyone goes craaaazy.

I cant try too hard to be honest; I either am honest; or aren't honest;
Last edited by The Honest Defender (Ancient II) on Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Just do what a defender do <

Nifidium
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 05, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Nifidium » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:43 pm

The Honest Defender wrote:

Fixed that for you.

You're welcome. :lol:

Edit: Alright, honestly, I can't take anything you say as genuine. Just use your main.
Last edited by Nifidium on Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Witherwards.
Chances are high
the puppet is Swith's
adhouse

Join us in mayhem
Why is everyone a social justice warrior?
Why didn't any of you choose a different class,
like social justice mage or social justice thief?
´*•.¸´*•.¸♥¸.•*´¸.•*´­
Swithy ❧ Vulpes Zerda Dostoyevskii
Fractal Hacker, Vent Fennec and (veloci)Raptor Queen.

Zhopgrad
Envoy

Founded: Nov 07, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zhopgrad » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:55 pm

Uinted Communist of Africa wrote:I hate puppets...people make them just to post horrible stuff. needless to say I get trolled all the time by puppet states!!
Im a one country type of guy..i only have one country and I wont make another. I think everyone should be like that!!

Not all the time, puppets can also be used to talk to people in other regions when the Government of the region won't make embassies, and I made a few to represent that the Communes that make Zhopgrad are semi-autonomous. They're are a bunch of other reasons puppets can be made as well. We just need to ignore the Shitposters until they give up.
Welcome to Zhopgrad! A great Worker's paradise! I proudly use NS stats, even though they might be as OP as Russian Bias.
Factbook - National Anthem (Bit outdated now) - TSAR WARS

News: Sergei Petrov has been assassinated, Zhopgrad is now going through a process of liberalization.

Essence
Civilian

Founded: Jan 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Essence » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:22 pm

I too am outraged at the recent puppet-posting epidemic.

Ndaku
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Ndaku » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:17 pm

Integrity is now unheard of.
'Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. I charge you therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who will judge the living and the dead at His appearing and His kingdom: For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables. But you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.' (II Timothy 4:1-5 NKJV)

Non-denominational Christian. Savopia is my WA puppet nation. Feel free to telegram me!

Integrity McJustice
Civilian

Founded: Aug 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Integrity McJustice » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:02 pm

Ndaku wrote:Integrity is now unheard of.

*clears throat*

You called?

Jakker
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jakker » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:04 pm

Perhaps we all need to take a step back realize we play a political game. :P

Having standards is important, but I just don't get hating on people who want to post on random puppets. If you want to call out the opinions of said puppets, go for it. If you want to not take their opinions seriously because it's "hiding," then whatever. We are all puppets anyways if you think about it.

The Lazarus situation is obviously tricky and I'm sure there are many motivations for these players to use puppets. I don't even understand why people care if their identity is hidden. So you can diminish the opinion because of their identity? I'm just not too sure why it matters so much.
Last edited by Jakker on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One Stop Rules Shop
Getting Help Request (GHR)

The Bruce wrote:Mostly I feel sorry for [raiders], because they put in all this effort and at the end of the day have nothing to show for it and have created nothing.

Jueia
Attaché

Founded: Jun 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Jueia » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:07 pm

Probably people just wanting to state their opinions without retaliation on their main nation based on their beliefs.

Or people wanting to troll NS forums as always.
The (Eastern) Empire of Jueia

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Honest Defender (Ancient II) » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:09 pm

The only integrity; is defeating darkspawn. My defenders and I; have always used puppets to achieve our means; from the battlefield to the forums; people like myself and; all the recent puppets. If you have a problem with integrity; you have a problem with defending; but this is impossible unless you are darkspawn.

Jueia
Attaché

Founded: Jun 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Jueia » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:12 pm

The only integrity; is defeating darkspawn. My defenders and I; have always used puppets to achieve our means; from the battlefield to the forums; people like myself and; all the recent puppets. If you have a problem with integrity; you have a problem with defending; but this is impossible unless you are darkspawn.

What exactly is "darkspawn."
The (Eastern) Empire of Jueia

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Honest Defender (Ancient II) » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:16 pm

Jueia wrote:
The Honest Defender wrote:The only integrity; is defeating darkspawn. My defenders and I; have always used puppets to achieve our means; from the battlefield to the forums; people like myself and; all the recent puppets. If you have a problem with integrity; you have a problem with defending; but this is impossible unless you are darkspawn.

What exactly is "darkspawn."

According to my overlords; in TGW; they are 'invaders'. Roavin teaches us; we should use every skill we can; to defeat them. He has shown us the way in TSP; we must continue in other regions;. >.> <.<

Brevity is Wit
Secretary

Founded: May 21, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Brevity is Wit » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:18 pm

Puppets used for journalism should only be frowned upon if they're pushing an agenda that isn't comedy.

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Honest Defender (Ancient II) » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:19 pm

Brevity is Wit wrote:Puppets used for journalism should only be frowned upon if they're pushing an agenda that isn't comedy.

What if it is defenders; pushing defenderisdom‽

Brevity is Wit
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Brevity is Wit » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:22 pm

Brevity is Wit wrote:Puppets used for journalism should only be frowned upon if they're pushing an agenda that isn't comedy.

What if it is defenders; pushing defenderisdom‽

I already answered you in what you're quoting, Punctuation Punisher.

Dark Side Escade
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Dark Side Escade » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:26 pm

Cormactopia Prime wrote:For perhaps the millionth time, I am not "The Honest Defender." I have a doctorate in sh*tposting, not a GED.

I mean, Cormac at least provides a certain level of entertainment to the audience - even if it's frustration.

Some wannabes can only dream of being a hangnail - on Cormac's left toe.

Valerius the Whisperer wrote: While anonymity can be and is used for nefarious purposes in plenty of instances, it can just as well be used to provide protection to the author of the posts for a variety of legitimate reasons, such as voicing a deeply unpopular opinion that they want to air and discuss but know that they will incur potential social stigma for doing so, someone coming forth to expose certain actions without blowing their cover, someone concerned that who they are will drown out the actual substance of what they are saying, etc. We can attack someone for not being brave enough to tie their words to their own face, and in plenty of instances this may well be a fair charge to lay against them, but even cowards can make legitimate and valuable contributions, especially when they can bypass the hurdles such a nature places before a person.

The light use of puppets makes sense for several of the reasons outlined here and can be effective if used sparingly. I actually don't really think most of us have issues with puppets in general (although I think there may be genuine curiosity about who for example Curious Observations is but also it doesn't really bother me not to know because I already attributed them like points.).

Nifidium wrote:If we habitually contribute nothing of value, people are not going to put much stock in our words. If we habitually fill our posts with nasty commentary, people aren't going to want to read more toxicity from us - even when we're departing from the norm in order to make a valid point. Those that have to resort to puppets to "allow readers to focus on the writing" have failed, miserably.

The puppets have no credibility. We can not associate them with their owner's tenure in Gameplay. Instead, they come across as trifling noobs eager to get people to notice them.

This speaks to probably the inherent bias. There is probably at least one or more GP characters whom we ignore on the principle of not really finding anything they say to be worth the time or attention.

So perhaps a puppet might be able to counteract the bias through carefully constructed posts. Again, we are as a community always up in each other's business so the question of who they are would probably be brought up still (and the scary scientific types can probably discern use language\posting analysis).

Shizensky wrote:I can understand some cases where someone might want to post as a puppet. If someone like Unibot had something really important to say, it might be best to use a puppet or pass the message through someone else. A lot of people get caught up on messenger and often ignore the message itself. Ad hominem is alive and well on the GP forums. I can see legitimate strategic reasons to use a puppet for a GP post.

What's happening now got stale pretty fast though. THD was funny for maybe two posts before it try-harded a little too hard. It'd be a great idea for a regularly satire news bit if it had any grasp on the concept of subtlety. Could you imagine a panel of these accounts? The Honest Defender, The Rowdy Raider, and The Ignorant Independent working together to play the caricatures of GP? It could probably be pretty fun if it wasn't so contrived already.
[/quote]

I completely agree.

I disagree but TL;DR is funny.
Last edited by Dark Side Escade on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Brevity is Wit
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Brevity is Wit » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:28 pm

Dark Side Escade wrote:

I disagree but TL;DR is funny.

Flattery will get you nowhere but everywhere.

Die Zwiebel News Network
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Die Zwiebel News Network » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:45 pm

Thanks, we hope to reopen our news service in the near future.

Sincerely, the Anonymous Journalistic Team at DZNN

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Honest Defender (Ancient II) » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:46 pm

If I start a new service; it will be with this nation; this lack of anonymity should make you happy Brevity is wit; >.> <.<

Brevity is Wit
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Brevity is Wit » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:51 pm

The Honest Defender wrote:If I start a new service; it will be with this nation; this lack of anonymity should make you happy Brevity is wit; >.> <.<

Don't piss on my leg and try to tell me it's raining, THD.

I Deny Im A Puppet
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby I Deny Im A Puppet » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:54 pm

Some of us post with puppets for the lulz. Not that I would ever do that. :)

Brevity is Wit
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Brevity is Wit » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:55 pm

I Deny Im A Puppet wrote:Some of us post with puppets for the lulz. Not that I would ever do that. :)

Don't piss on my leg and, oh wait I already used that line...

Soyouso
Ambassador

Founded: May 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Soyouso » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:08 pm

If I've seen a nation enough there is a chance I can tell exactly who owns a puppet by their diction. When people try to fake multiple people in an RP so they can win it's really obvious to me. There's people pulling that and here I am forgetting about my puppets a lot, lol. I need to be more alive with them.

Shizensky
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 29, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Shizensky » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:26 pm

Jakker wrote:We are all puppets anyways if you think about it.

How Can Puppets Be Real If Our Mains Aren't Real
"Look, that's why there's rules, understand?
So that you think before you break 'em."
My favorite thing about UDP jokes
is I don't care if you get them or not.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay