NATION

PASSWORD

Racial Disparity in School Suspensions

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Utvara
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Ex-Nation

Racial Disparity in School Suspensions

Postby Utvara » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:10 pm

NY Times wrote:In many of the nation’s middle schools, black boys were nearly three times as likely to be suspended as white boys, according to a new study, which also found that black girls were suspended at four times the rate of white girls.

School authorities also suspended Hispanic and American Indian middle school students at higher rates than white students, though not at such disproportionate rates as for black children, the study found. Asian students were less likely to be suspended than whites.

The study analyzed four decades of federal Department of Education data on suspensions, with a special focus on figures from 2002 and 2006, that were drawn from 9,220 of the nation’s 16,000 public middle schools.

The study, “Suspended Education: Urban Middle Schools in Crisis,” was published by the Southern Poverty Law Center, a nonprofit civil rights organization.

The co-authors, Daniel J. Losen, a senior associate at the Civil Rights Project at the University of California, Los Angeles, and Russell Skiba, a professor at Indiana University, said they focused on suspensions from middle schools because recent research had shown that students’ middle school experience was crucial for determining future academic success.

One recent study of 400 incarcerated high school freshmen in Baltimore found that two-thirds had been suspended at least once in middle school.

Federal law requires schools to expel students for weapons possession and incidents involving the most serious safety issues. The authors said they focused on suspensions, which often result from fighting, abusive language and classroom disruptions, because they were a measure that school administrators can apply at their discretion.

Throughout America’s public schools, in kindergarten through high school, the percent of students suspended each year nearly doubled from the early 1970s through 2006, the authors said, an increase that they associate, in part, with the rise of so-called zero-tolerance school discipline policies.

In 1973, on average, 3.7 percent of public school students of all races were suspended at least once. By 2006, that percentage had risen to 6.9 percent.

Both in 1973 and in 2006, black students were suspended at higher rates than whites, but over that period, the gap increased. In 1973, 6 percent of all black students were suspended. In 2006, 15 percent of all blacks were suspended.

Among the students attending one of the 9,220 middle schools in the study sample, 28 percent of black boys and 18 percent of black girls, compared with 10 percent of white boys and 4 percent of white girls, were suspended in 2006, the study found.

The researchers found wide disparities in suspension rates among different city school systems and even among middle schools in the same district.

Using the federal data, they calculated suspension rates for middle school students, broken down by race, in 18 large urban districts.

Two districts showed especially high rates. In Palm Beach County, Fla., and Milwaukee, more than 50 percent of black male middle school students were suspended at least once in 2006, the study showed.

Jennie Dorsey, director of family services in the Milwaukee district, said the district had recognized that its suspension rate was too high and had begun a program aimed at changing students’ behavior without suspensions.

The program has brought only modest reductions in the suspension rate so far, but Ms. Dorsey predicted sharper reductions over several years.

Nat Harrington, a spokesman for the Palm Beach County district, disputed the study’s statistics, but acknowledged that “all the data show an unacceptably high number of black students being suspended.” He said the district was using several strategies to reduce suspensions.

Hardly surprising, but totally unacceptable nonetheless.
Last edited by Utvara on Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To create a national fund, out of which there shall be paid to every person, when arrived at the age of twenty-one years, the sum of fifteen pounds sterling, as a compensation in part, for the loss of his or her natural inheritance, by the introduction of the system of landed property."
--Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice

Yootwopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Yootwopia » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:12 pm

I don't see why your skin colour ought to let you off if you break the rules.
Technically a Polanski.

Zephie
Senator

Founded: Oct 30, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Zephie » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:13 pm

How is this unacceptable? So black kids get in more trouble than white kids. How is that discrimination? I doubt it goes like this.

-Black student walks into office-
Student: What did you want Mr. Bob?
Mr. Bob: You're being suspended for being black.
Yootwopia wrote:I don't see why your skin colour ought to let you off if you break the rules.

Uh what are you talking about?
Last edited by Zephie on Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.
Senestrum wrote:I just can't think of anything to say that wouldn't get me warned on this net-nanny forum.

Yootwopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Yootwopia » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:15 pm

The same thing as you, Zephie.
Technically a Polanski.

Bydlostan (Ancient)
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Bydlostan (Ancient) » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:16 pm

rules are racist.

Brandenburg-Altmark
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Brandenburg-Altmark » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:16 pm

So the reason is discrimination as opposed to the higher rate of rule breaking that is the absolute first thing one can infer from this? :eyebrow:
Economic Left/Right: -7.50 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.21
TOKYONI UNJUSTLY DELETED 19/06/2011 - SAY NO TO MOD IMPERIALISM
Tanker til Norge.
Free isam wrote:
United Dependencies wrote:Where's inda? Or Russa for that matter?

idot inda is asias gron and russa is its hat ok :palm:

Zephie
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Zephie » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:18 pm

Yootwopia wrote:The same thing as you, Zephie.

It's a logical fallacy that it's racially driven if more Black and Hispanic kids get disciplined than White kids and Asian kids. If the politically correct brigade had it their way, there would be discipline quotas. 25% of Blacks get suspended 25% of Whites get suspended, 25% of Hispanics get suspended, and 25% of Asians get suspended. Oh the stupidity.

It's the urban black culture that is most likely to blame for their behavior. Same with the hispanic students. I'm sure the Asian students get in the least amount of trouble because they are more disciplined by their family.

Brandenburg-Altmark wrote:So the reason is discrimination as opposed to the higher rate of rule breaking that is the absolute first thing one can infer from this? :eyebrow:

What else could you expect from the type of people that see only races, not people?
Last edited by Zephie on Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.
Senestrum wrote:I just can't think of anything to say that wouldn't get me warned on this net-nanny forum.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:20 pm

Don't see why skin color is an issue. You break the rules; you get punished.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Zephie
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Zephie » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:21 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:Don't see why skin color is an issue. You break the rules; you get punished.

Don't you know silly bean? Unless every race in America has an equal amount of the wealth, an equal amount of the crimes, and an equal amount of everything - it's racist!
Last edited by Zephie on Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Utvara
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Utvara » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:22 pm

And why do black children break more rules than white children? It's because, nationwide, they're monkeys with no sense of social order! Right? Right? Right....?

... no? Then perhaps... there could be some sort of... racial inequality in this country?
"To create a national fund, out of which there shall be paid to every person, when arrived at the age of twenty-one years, the sum of fifteen pounds sterling, as a compensation in part, for the loss of his or her natural inheritance, by the introduction of the system of landed property."

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:22 pm

Utvara wrote:
NY Times wrote:In many of the nation’s middle schools, black boys were nearly three times as likely to be suspended as white boys, according to a new study, which also found that black girls were suspended at four times the rate of white girls.

School authorities also suspended Hispanic and American Indian middle school students at higher rates than white students, though not at such disproportionate rates as for black children, the study found. Asian students were less likely to be suspended than whites.

The study analyzed four decades of federal Department of Education data on suspensions, with a special focus on figures from 2002 and 2006, that were drawn from 9,220 of the nation’s 16,000 public middle schools.

The study, “Suspended Education: Urban Middle Schools in Crisis,” was published by the Southern Poverty Law Center, a nonprofit civil rights organization.

The co-authors, Daniel J. Losen, a senior associate at the Civil Rights Project at the University of California, Los Angeles, and Russell Skiba, a professor at Indiana University, said they focused on suspensions from middle schools because recent research had shown that students’ middle school experience was crucial for determining future academic success.

One recent study of 400 incarcerated high school freshmen in Baltimore found that two-thirds had been suspended at least once in middle school.

Federal law requires schools to expel students for weapons possession and incidents involving the most serious safety issues. The authors said they focused on suspensions, which often result from fighting, abusive language and classroom disruptions, because they were a measure that school administrators can apply at their discretion.

Throughout America’s public schools, in kindergarten through high school, the percent of students suspended each year nearly doubled from the early 1970s through 2006, the authors said, an increase that they associate, in part, with the rise of so-called zero-tolerance school discipline policies.

In 1973, on average, 3.7 percent of public school students of all races were suspended at least once. By 2006, that percentage had risen to 6.9 percent.

Both in 1973 and in 2006, black students were suspended at higher rates than whites, but over that period, the gap increased. In 1973, 6 percent of all black students were suspended. In 2006, 15 percent of all blacks were suspended.

Among the students attending one of the 9,220 middle schools in the study sample, 28 percent of black boys and 18 percent of black girls, compared with 10 percent of white boys and 4 percent of white girls, were suspended in 2006, the study found.

The researchers found wide disparities in suspension rates among different city school systems and even among middle schools in the same district.

Using the federal data, they calculated suspension rates for middle school students, broken down by race, in 18 large urban districts.

Two districts showed especially high rates. In Palm Beach County, Fla., and Milwaukee, more than 50 percent of black male middle school students were suspended at least once in 2006, the study showed.

Jennie Dorsey, director of family services in the Milwaukee district, said the district had recognized that its suspension rate was too high and had begun a program aimed at changing students’ behavior without suspensions.

The program has brought only modest reductions in the suspension rate so far, but Ms. Dorsey predicted sharper reductions over several years.

Nat Harrington, a spokesman for the Palm Beach County district, disputed the study’s statistics, but acknowledged that “all the data show an unacceptably high number of black students being suspended.” He said the district was using several strategies to reduce suspensions.

Hardly surprising, but totally unacceptable nonetheless.

Correlation≠causation
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Zephie
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Zephie » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:24 pm

Utvara wrote:And why do black children break more rules than white children? It's because, nationwide, they're monkeys with no sense of social order! Right? Right? Right....?

... no? Then perhaps... there could be some sort of... racial inequality in this country?

"In 1999, according to the U.S. Bureau of the Census, 33.1 percent of black children lived in poverty compared with 13.5 percent of white children."
http://www.heritage.org/research/report ... erty-rates

There's a correlation between poverty and crime. More blacks are in poverty, therefore more blacks are likely to commit crimes. It's simple as that, really.
Last edited by Zephie on Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Utvara
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Utvara » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:26 pm

Zephie wrote:
Utvara wrote:And why do black children break more rules than white children? It's because, nationwide, they're monkeys with no sense of social order! Right? Right? Right....?

"In 1999, according to the U.S. Bureau of the Census, 33.1 percent of black children lived in poverty compared with 13.5 percent of white children."

There's a correlation between poverty and crime. More blacks are in poverty, therefore more blacks are likely to commit crimes. It's simple as that, really.

Why are they overwhelmingly more poor, again?

(And, really, is it so hard to imagine white school administrators giving harsher punishments to black students versus white students?)

Call to power
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 13, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Call to power » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:26 pm

the fact that its both blacks and Hispanics shows something

we need to kill the poor.
The Parkus Empire wrote:Theoretically, why would anyone put anytime into anything but tobacco, intoxicants and sex?

Vareiln wrote:My god, CtP is right...
Not that you haven't been right before, but... Aw, hell, you get what I meant.

Tubbsalot wrote:replace my opinions with CtP's.

Bydlostan (Ancient)
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bydlostan (Ancient) » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:27 pm

They should just punish whites kids more and black kids less. The whites killed all those people in Hiroshima and enslaved the blacks.Blacks are oppressed minorities and their so-called misbehavior is simply an expression of class warfare that should be accepted and encouraged.

Call to power
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 13, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Call to power » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:28 pm

Utvara wrote:Why are they overwhelmingly more poor, again?

because minorities where second class citizens up until the 80's and the sort of demographic change needed to fix this is slow but results are appearing

Utvara wrote:(And, really, is it so hard to imagine white school administrators giving harsher punishments to black students versus white students?)

yes.
The Parkus Empire wrote:Theoretically, why would anyone put anytime into anything but tobacco, intoxicants and sex?

Vareiln wrote:My god, CtP is right...
Not that you haven't been right before, but... Aw, hell, you get what I meant.

Tubbsalot wrote:replace my opinions with CtP's.

Malikov
Minister

Founded: May 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Malikov » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:29 pm

Bydlostan wrote:They should just punish whites kids more and black kids less. The whites killed all those people in Hiroshima and enslaved the blacks.Blacks are oppressed minorities and their so-called misbehavior is simply an expression of class warfare that should be accepted and encouraged.

So a black man kills a white man, and doesn't get punished for it, and when a white man calls the black man a name, he gets jail for life?

Yes, it was taken to the extreme, but only to show how completely illogical your argument is.
Last edited by Malikov on Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current flag request.
The Official Factbook Of The United Peoples Of Malikov
Official Malkovian Flag
Official Malikovian Seal
Regional Map Of The United Peoples
Defcon:1 2 3 4 [5]
Military: .5% Standing Military|1.5% Reserves
Organizations:The Phoenix Conglomeration
The Trews - Highway of Heroes

In Flanders Fields the poppies grow
Between the crosses row on row
That mark our place, and in the sky
The larks still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below...

R.I.P.
The Conglomerate
Tiurabo wrote:Your forces are weak because you are capable of reigning them in.
"Friendship is two pals munching on a well cooked face together."

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:29 pm

Call to power wrote:the fact that its both blacks and Hispanics shows something

we need to kill the poor.

Like enlisting them in the military and shipping them off to Iraq/Afghanistan?
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Zephie
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Zephie » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:29 pm

Utvara wrote:
Zephie wrote:"In 1999, according to the U.S. Bureau of the Census, 33.1 percent of black children lived in poverty compared with 13.5 percent of white children."

(And, really, is it so hard to imagine white school administrators giving harsher punishments to black students versus white students?)

There's 3x as many poor black children than poor white children, and the black children get in trouble 3x as much as the white children. That my friend, is a correlation. I would say them being poor is a combination of their shitty start in the country, and the culture they created for themselves that appears to me to be self-destructive.

Bydlostan (Ancient)
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bydlostan (Ancient) » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:35 pm

Malikov wrote:
Bydlostan wrote:They should just punish whites kids more and black kids less. The whites killed all those people in Hiroshima and enslaved the blacks.Blacks are oppressed minorities and their so-called misbehavior is simply an expression of class warfare that should be accepted and encouraged.

So a black man kills a white man, and doesn't get punished for it, and when a white man calls the black man a name, he gets jail for life?

Yes, it was taken to the extreme, but only to show how completely illogical your argument is.

No, its to achieve diversity and equality.

Zephie
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Zephie » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:35 pm

Bydlostan wrote:
Malikov wrote:So a black man kills a white man, and doesn't get punished for it, and when a white man calls the black man a name, he gets jail for life?

A lot of people have a fucked up definition of equality.

Utvara
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Utvara » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:35 pm

Zephie wrote:
Utvara wrote:

There's 3x as many poor black children than poor white children, and the black children get in trouble 3x as much as the white children. That my friend, is a correlation. I would say them being poor is a combination of their shitty start in the country, and the culture they created for themselves that appears to me to be self-destructive.

"They" created for "themselves". Right.

Drinent
Attaché

Founded: Feb 11, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Drinent » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:36 pm

If black children don't have the discipline to do right in school, then obviously the will be punished more, same with any other race. This is the most wasted amount of time spent on research ever, is not even discrimination or has to deal with civil rights in any way. Some of the people in America are just ridiculous and stupid.

Zephie
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Zephie » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:36 pm

Utvara wrote:
Zephie wrote:There's 3x as many poor black children than poor white children, and the black children get in trouble 3x as much as the white children. That my friend, is a correlation. I would say them being poor is a combination of their shitty start in the country, and the culture they created for themselves that appears to me to be self-destructive.

"They" created for "themselves". Right.

If they want to be better off they need to take the initiative, not blame everybody else for their plight. I have a lot of black friends and know a lot of black people who live very well, have good jobs, a nice family, etc. I never heard them once blaming everybody but themselves for their problems.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhPqmJynQPU
Last edited by Zephie on Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Malikov
Minister

Founded: May 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Malikov » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:37 pm

Bydlostan wrote:
Malikov wrote:So a black man kills a white man, and doesn't get punished for it, and when a white man calls the black man a name, he gets jail for life?

Yes, because diversity and equality are acheived through racism. :palm:
Current flag request.
The Official Factbook Of The United Peoples Of Malikov
Official Malkovian Flag
Official Malikovian Seal
Regional Map Of The United Peoples
Defcon:1 2 3 4 [5]
Military: .5% Standing Military|1.5% Reserves
Organizations:The Phoenix Conglomeration
The Trews - Highway of Heroes

In Flanders Fields the poppies grow
Between the crosses row on row
That mark our place, and in the sky
The larks still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below...

R.I.P.
The Conglomerate
Tiurabo wrote:Your forces are weak because you are capable of reigning them in.
"Friendship is two pals munching on a well cooked face together."

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General