NATION

PASSWORD

Turkish PM quits, possibly after row with Erdogan.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Turkish PM quits, possibly after row with Erdogan.

Postby Valaran » Thu May 05, 2016 5:50 am

Linky

Turkey's Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu says he will stand down at an extraordinary congress of his ruling AK Party later this month.

Mr Davutoglu is believed to have fallen from favour having disapproved of Mr Erdogan's plans to move Turkey to a presidential system of government.

But in a speech, Mr Davutoglu pledged his loyalty to President Erdogan, saying he bore no anger to anyone.

His successor will be chosen when the congress meets on 22 May.

[...]

He also told Turkish TV that the country and its economy would stabilise further "when a prime minister more closely aligned with President Erdogan takes office".

I'm sure most posters are well aware of Erdogan's authoritarian tendencies, but this is yet another sign of increasing control. What's more interesting is the rise and fall of Davutoglu, formerly the champion of Turkey's 'no enemies' foreign policy, that has now utterly failed. He's also been seen as something of a relative moderate, which actually sort of comes out here, with his increasing unease over Erdogan's latest bouts of power mania. In some ways, this could be seen as the result of him sticking to his guns.

However, Erdogan once again rules triumphant. Davutoglu's attempt to build up his own powerbase has clearly failed, and this also puts to rest any lingering ideas that Davutoglu could have been Erdogan's successor. However, that does leave Erdogan without an obvious heir, which either suggests he wants to rule for a very long time, or is has having an issue finding/keeping a successor to hand. The fact that this split necessitated drastic action also suggests that there were some pretty heavy internal divisions, and that Erdogan had issues resolving them/controlling his own party without a public display of force. Or that he's just intolerant opposition, even from his own protégé. he does seem the type.

Any thoughts NSG? How will Turkey's foreign policy and Erdogan's domestic agenda change now? How long will Erdogan reign? With even less of a moderating influence, will Turkey's transformation to authoritarianism only increase?

Oh, and since I hear Erdogan doesn't like criticism:

Last edited by Valaran on Thu May 05, 2016 5:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
I used to run an alliance, and a region. Not that it matters now.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.
Zoboyizakoplayoklot wrote:Val: NS's resident mindless zombie
Planita wrote:you just set the OP on fire

Spiffier
Ambassador

Founded: May 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Spiffier » Thu May 05, 2016 5:56 am

It's becoming more and more tenuous for us to criticize Russia while we maintain a cozy alliance with Turkey.
He whose will and desire in conversation is to establish his own opinion, even though what he says is true, should recognize that he is sick with the devil’s disease. And if he behaves like this only in conversation with his equals, then perhaps the rebuke of his superiors may heal him. But if he acts in this way even with those who are greater and wiser than he, then his malady is humanly incurable.

-Saint John of the Ladder

Great Kauthar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Kauthar » Thu May 05, 2016 5:58 am

Erdogan must be ousted and arrested for war crimes and censorship.
"Let the thief no longer steal, but rather let him labor, doing honest work with his own hands, so that he may have something to share with anyone in need." - Ephesians 4:28 (ESV)
Christian Social Democrat
I am: "A monument to [the RWDT's] collective sins."

Mefpan
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mefpan » Thu May 05, 2016 6:01 am

Great Kauthar wrote:Erdogan must be ousted and arrested for war crimes and censorship.

It feels so absurd and otherworldly to hold the same opinions as you do, even if it's for completely different reasons.

But I can't say this is surprising. I'd not put it past Erdogan to declare a new dynasty at this point; he's already got the royal palace for it, after all.
I support thermonuclear warfare. Do you want to play a game of chess?
NationStates' umpteenth dirty ex-leftist class traitor.
I left the Left when it turned Right. Now I'm going back to the Right because it's all that's Left.
Yeah, Screw Realism!
Loyal Planet of Mankind

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Thu May 05, 2016 6:03 am

Spiffier wrote:It's becoming more and more tenuous for us to criticize Russia while we maintain a cozy alliance with Turkey.

I imagine this is just realpolitik now. Erdogan has the levers on the migrant crisis, and to a lesser degree, on the Syrian crisis. Turkey is currently also 'useful' in some respects, not least for western military bases needed to fight IS.

I might express mild hope, that, since the Europeans won't say jack about this (due to the migrant crisis), a new US president could set a more forceful tone.
Last edited by Valaran on Thu May 05, 2016 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.

DBJ
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby DBJ » Thu May 05, 2016 6:04 am

Spiffier wrote:It's becoming more and more tenuous for us to criticize Russia while we maintain a cozy alliance with Turkey.

The situation in turkey is still nowhere near as bad as in russia. Also, it's not as if erdogan doesn't receive any criticism. Germany’s president was in turkey publicly criticizing Erdogan’s policy. That's a pretty harsh move.
Last edited by DBJ on Thu May 05, 2016 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Community Values
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Community Values » Thu May 05, 2016 6:07 am

If the PM resigns, a new PM can't serve until election time? Really all I can think about now is the Erdogan song. Why do people in Turkey support Erdogan? What's so bad with freedom of the press? What's so bad with not bombing the kurds?
"Corrupted by wealth and power, your government is like a restaurant with only one dish. They've got a set of Republican waiters on one side and a set of Democratic waiters on the other side. But no matter which set of waiters brings you the dish, the legislative grub is all prepared in the same Wall Street kitchen."
-Huey Long

Spiffier
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Spiffier » Thu May 05, 2016 6:08 am

DBJ wrote:

The situation in turkey is still nowhere near as bad as in russia. Also, it's not as if erdogan doesn't receive any criticism. Germany’s president was in turkey publicly criticizing Erdogan’s policy. That's a pretty harsh move.

No where near as bad as Russia? Erdogan locked away 1,800 people just for deriding him.
He whose will and desire in conversation is to establish his own opinion, even though what he says is true, should recognize that he is sick with the devil’s disease. And if he behaves like this only in conversation with his equals, then perhaps the rebuke of his superiors may heal him. But if he acts in this way even with those who are greater and wiser than he, then his malady is humanly incurable.

Community Values
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Community Values » Thu May 05, 2016 6:38 am

Spiffier wrote:
DBJ wrote:The situation in turkey is still nowhere near as bad as in russia. Also, it's not as if erdogan doesn't receive any criticism. Germany’s president was in turkey publicly criticizing Erdogan’s policy. That's a pretty harsh move.

No where near as bad as Russia? Erdogan locked away 1,800 people just for deriding him.

Do you know how many Putin has arrested? They both seem pretty bad, tbh.
"Corrupted by wealth and power, your government is like a restaurant with only one dish. They've got a set of Republican waiters on one side and a set of Democratic waiters on the other side. But no matter which set of waiters brings you the dish, the legislative grub is all prepared in the same Wall Street kitchen."
-Huey Long

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Thu May 05, 2016 6:55 am

Mefpan wrote:
Great Kauthar wrote:Erdogan must be ousted and arrested for war crimes and censorship.

It feels so absurd and otherworldly to hold the same opinions as you do, even if it's for completely different reasons.

But I can't say this is surprising. I'd not put it past Erdogan to declare a new dynasty at this point; he's already got the royal palace for it, after all.

I do wonder where Erdogan thinks his friends are, after being against Russia for some time and his war on free press and peace in general has been trying the patience of western leaders.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Thu May 05, 2016 6:57 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Mefpan wrote:It feels so absurd and otherworldly to hold the same opinions as you do, even if it's for completely different reasons.

I do wonder where Erdogan thinks his friends are, after being against Russia for some time and his war on free press and peace in general has been trying the patience of western leaders.

Saudi Arabia. Bosnia/Albania. Azerbaijan. He's pivoted back to Israel somewhat. aaaand that's about it.

New Rogernomics
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Rogernomics » Thu May 05, 2016 7:06 am

Mefpan wrote:

Erdogan won't get punished. In fact western (especially European and North American) countries just turn a blind eye (or even reward him) the more terrible human rights abuses he commits.

Just like with Azerbaijan, which the European Union invites to Eurovision song contests, despite its terrible human rights record and it being one of the world's most brutal dictatorships.

Welcome to the nasty world of geo-politics, where terrible regimes get away with horrific human rights abuses, purely on the basis of their geo-political position.

Feel sorry for Turks, but I don't really have a hope for things getting better.

Turkey is returning to Ottoman Empire Era policies and repressions, and basically turning its back on Ataturk in favor of a tyranny of the majority fueled by populist Islamism and extreme nationalism.
Last edited by New Rogernomics on Thu May 05, 2016 7:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Herald (Vice-Delegate) of Lazarus
"Solidarity forever..."
Hoping for Peace in Israel and Palestine
  • Former First Citizen (PM) of Lazarus
  • Former Proedroi (Minister) of Foreign Affairs of Lazarus
  • Former Lazarus Delegate (Humane Republic of Lazarus, 2015)
  • Minister of Culture & Media (Humane Republic of Lazarus)
  • Foreign Minister of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Senator of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Interior Commissioner of Lazarus (Pre-People's Republic of Lazarus)
  • At some point a member of the Grey family...then father vanished...
  • Foreign Minister of The Last Kingdom (RIP)
  • ADN:DSA Rep for Eastern Roman Empire
  • Honoratus Servant of the Holy Land (Eastern Roman Empire)
  • UN/WA Delegate of Trans Atlantice (RIP)

Spiffier
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Spiffier » Thu May 05, 2016 7:07 am

Community Values wrote:
Spiffier wrote:No where near as bad as Russia? Erdogan locked away 1,800 people just for deriding him.

Do you know how many Putin has arrested? They both seem pretty bad, tbh.

Not 1,800 for insulting him on twitter or whatever, that's for sure.

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Thu May 05, 2016 7:09 am

Valaran wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:

Saudi Arabia. Bosnia/Albania. Azerbaijan. He's pivoted back to Israel somewhat. aaaand that's about it.

A league of freedom and tolerance if ever there was one. :roll:
Lurking NSG since 2005

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Thu May 05, 2016 7:11 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Valaran wrote:

A league of freedom and tolerance if ever there was one. :roll:

Oh certainly :p

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Thu May 05, 2016 7:13 am

New Rogernomics wrote:
Mefpan wrote:It feels so absurd and otherworldly to hold the same opinions as you do, even if it's for completely different reasons.

Erdogan won't get punished. In fact western (especially European and North American) countries just turn a blind eye (or even reward him) the more terrible human rights abuses he commits.

That was more true in the past when we was Our Man in the Middle East, sending over Patriot missiles etc over to him but more recently the diplomatic rhetoric from Europe has been less friendly, and Obama has publicly criticised Erdogan's abuse of the press.
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Thu May 05, 2016 7:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005

Utilitarian Garibaldi
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Utilitarian Garibaldi » Thu May 05, 2016 7:16 am

Spiffier wrote:
DBJ wrote:The situation in turkey is still nowhere near as bad as in russia. Also, it's not as if erdogan doesn't receive any criticism. Germany’s president was in turkey publicly criticizing Erdogan’s policy. That's a pretty harsh move.

Probably because Erdogan has an actual opposition. Don't know where you got that number though.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Thu May 05, 2016 7:19 am

Don't know much about him, Erdogan was always in the spotlight. I doubt this will change much though. Erdogan will continue to make Europe his bitch.

Spiffier
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Spiffier » Thu May 05, 2016 7:22 am

Utilitarian Garibaldi wrote:
Spiffier wrote:No where near as bad as Russia? Erdogan locked away 1,800 people just for deriding him.

Probably because Erdogan has an actual opposition. Don't know where you got that number though.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/m ... o-go-ahead

Utilitarian Garibaldi
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Utilitarian Garibaldi » Thu May 05, 2016 7:33 am

Spiffier wrote:
Utilitarian Garibaldi wrote:Probably because Erdogan has an actual opposition. Don't know where you got that number though.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/m ... o-go-ahead

Cases don't necessarily translate to people getting locked up. The Turkish judicial system is still mostly impartial from the impression I've received.

New Rogernomics
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Rogernomics » Thu May 05, 2016 7:50 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:
New Rogernomics wrote:Erdogan won't get punished. In fact western (especially European and North American) countries just turn a blind eye (or even reward him) the more terrible human rights abuses he commits.

That was more true in the past when we was Our Man in the Middle East, sending over Patriot missiles etc over to him but more recently the diplomatic rhetoric from Europe has been less friendly, and Obama has publicly criticised Erdogan's abuse of the press.
Criticism isn't worth much though, when its only a slap on the wrist, and business as usual.

There are no sanctions or penalties for bad behavior, which sets a double-standard internationally:
Both Europe and the United States have turned a blind eye to the human rights violations in Turkey’s Kurdish towns over the past year. Europeans did so because they were desperate to strike a deal with Mr. Erdogan to get Turkey to contain Syrian refugees. Washington, for its part, feels that Turkey is indispensable in the fight against the Islamic State.
America is still selling large numbers of weapons to Turkey, has a military base, and many American politicians are in Turkey's pocket - and in doing so putting Erdogan's interests over American interests and human rights:
So why are officials in Washington still dragging their feet on a simple word choice? “Because we have military bases in [Turkey],” Clooney explained on KPCC's “The Frame” in October. “Suddenly those same politicians who before could say, ‘Yes, there was a genocide,' can't talk about it now. You can't call it that. I've had conversations with senators where I'll say, ‘Can we talk about the Armenian genocide?' and they'll say, ‘Absolutely not, because Turkey is our partner in the war on terror.' ”
Till that changes, Erdogan will continue to act as he has been acting. It's like telling a child he shouldn't eat sweets, and then giving the child ten packets.
Last edited by New Rogernomics on Thu May 05, 2016 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herald (Vice-Delegate) of Lazarus
"Solidarity forever..."
Hoping for Peace in Israel and Palestine
  • Former First Citizen (PM) of Lazarus
  • Former Proedroi (Minister) of Foreign Affairs of Lazarus
  • Former Lazarus Delegate (Humane Republic of Lazarus, 2015)
  • Minister of Culture & Media (Humane Republic of Lazarus)
  • Foreign Minister of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Senator of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Interior Commissioner of Lazarus (Pre-People's Republic of Lazarus)
  • At some point a member of the Grey family...then father vanished...
  • Foreign Minister of The Last Kingdom (RIP)
  • ADN:DSA Rep for Eastern Roman Empire
  • Honoratus Servant of the Holy Land (Eastern Roman Empire)
  • UN/WA Delegate of Trans Atlantice (RIP)

Renewed Imperial Germany
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Renewed Imperial Germany » Thu May 05, 2016 11:12 am

A-Are we in.... agreement? *pinches self*
Bailey Quinn, Nice ta meet ya! (Female Pronouns Please)
Also known as Harley
NS Stats are not used here.
<3 Alex's NS Wife <3
Normal is a setting on the dryer

Miarie
Envoy

Founded: Aug 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Miarie » Thu May 05, 2016 11:19 am

Retake Constantinople 2016
Slavophile Rome-ophile? Anarchist Maps kick ass
THIS NATION DOES NOT REPRESENT MY IRL VIEWS NOR IS IT RUSSIAN
THIS NATION DOES NOT USE NS STATS
I DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT YOUR PRONOUNS
MDN: news
INTP-T, although these tests are about as scientific as astrology.
Digital Planets wrote:God exists. I met him in one of my LSD trips, but also because when some girl dressing skimpy says 'Only God can judge me', and you hear a booming voice in the air that says "YOU'RE A WHORE".
Ammerinia wrote:Dammit, now i can't fill my bathtub with cookie dough anymore.
DEFCON: 3

West Aurelia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby West Aurelia » Fri May 06, 2016 4:55 am

Valaran wrote:I might express mild hope, that, since the Europeans won't say jack about this (due to the migrant crisis), a new US president could set a more forceful tone.

The US can't afford to alienate Turkey too much either in order to secure its support in Syria. I doubt Hillary, well-known for cozying up to tyrants when it serves the US' interests, would do much, other than issue a statement of "concern." Knowing Trump, he would probably praise Erdogan for "strength" or something equally idiotic.
_REPUBLIC OF WEST AURELIA_
Official factbook
#Valaransofab

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Fri May 06, 2016 5:19 am

Those are hard times for Turkey. Her enemies are everywhere: Crusaders, Zionists, infidels, Kurds, journalists, lawyers, "human rights" activists, TV comedians - a thousand enemies without, a thousand enemies within.

Who would be capable of assuming the office of Prime Minister in this dark hour? Why, non other than president Erdogan himself, of course! Allah willing, he will lead Turkey to a new age of glory and prosperity!
Last edited by Baltenstein on Fri May 06, 2016 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General