NATION

PASSWORD

Monarchism

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Are you a monarchist?

Yes, constitutional monarchist
33%
Yes, absolute monarchist
8%
Yes, feudal monarchist
4%
Yes, other type of monarchist (please specify in a post)
3%
No (feel free to post anyway)
52%

Total votes : 245

Sanctissima
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Monarchism

Postby Sanctissima » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:06 pm

I may be completely mistaken, but I think there's a sizable portion of forumers here who are monarchists, that is to say, people who like kings, queens, emperors, empresses and various other regal individuals as heads of state. Personally, I'm not one, but I've always been interested in the subject. Out of all the political ideologies in the world, I find this one to be the most, well, quirky, but in an interesting sort of way. I mean, it's a rather archaic ideology nowadays, but it still seems to attract a fairly sizable amount of adherents.

As I said, there might be none of you out there whatsoever, and this will simply turn into a dead topic, but please, if you do happen to be a monarchist, post a reply. I'm truly interested in your ideology and what makes you think that a monarch is best suited for being a head of state.

Solaray
Senator

Founded: Jun 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Solaray » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:19 pm

I support the Royal Family of the UK, so I guess I'm a constitutional monarchist.
Sig closed for construction.

Est. completion date: Summer 2054

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:20 pm

I am a constitutional monarchist as I consider it inseparable from my classical republican ideals and influences.

L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:22 pm

Sebastianbourg wrote:I am a constitutional monarchist as I consider it inseparable from my classical republican ideals and influences.

Err what, you are a monarchist and a republican?
A leopard in every home, you know it makes sense.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:24 pm

Never understood the appeal, besides appearing as a cool relic of the past. Why elevate people to positions they don't deserve?

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:25 pm

L Ron Cupboard wrote:
Sebastianbourg wrote:I am a constitutional monarchist as I consider it inseparable from my classical republican ideals and influences.

Blasphemy! May Liam Neeson curse your offspring with gingervitis!

But I'm a republican.

Solaray
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Solaray » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:26 pm

Merizoc wrote:Never understood the appeal, besides appearing as a cool relic of the past. Why elevate people to positions they don't deserve?

Tradition, historical significance, tourism. They also serve as a good common unifier for the people.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:29 pm

Solaray wrote:
Merizoc wrote:Never understood the appeal, besides appearing as a cool relic of the past. Why elevate people to positions they don't deserve?

Tradition, historical significance, tourism. They also serve as a good common unifier for the people.

So do documents, presidents, a nation's history, etc. Investing all of that prestige in one man or one family is absurd and fairly anti-egalitarian.

Also tradition and history has been used to justify everything from treating women as second class citizens to slavery to traditional marriages to anti-miscegenation laws. So I wouldn't start out with that.

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:30 pm

L Ron Cupboard wrote:

Basically an advocate of a mixed government. A constitutional or semi-constitutional monarchy with a few reserve powers, powerful aristocracy of merit/technocracy/meritocracy, and a not-so-powerful democratically-elected chamber.

Classical is the key word. ;)

Britanania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 15, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Britanania » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:33 pm

I'm anti-egalitarian, so I naturally like Monarchies
Christus vincit; Christus regnat; Christus imperat
"All things have their season, and in their times all things pass under heaven"--Ecclesiastes 3:1
"Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king."
"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected"--G. K. Chesterton
Pro: British Unionism, Catholicism, Classicism, Conservatism, High Toryism, Monarchism, Traditionalism
Anti: Consumerism, Devolution, Materialism, Modernism, Post-Modernism, Progressivism

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:34 pm

La victoire en chantant

Nous ouvre la barrière.
La Liberté guide nos pas.
Et du Nord au Midi
La trompette guerrière
A sonné l'heure des combats.
Tremblez ennemis de la France
Rois ivres de sang et d'orgueil.
Le Peuple souverain s'avance,
Tyrans descendez au cercueil!

I'm incredibly anti-monarchist. Fanatically so, even.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Solaray
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Solaray » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:48 pm

Mike the Progressive wrote:
Solaray wrote:Tradition, historical significance, tourism. They also serve as a good common unifier for the people.

So do documents, presidents, a nation's history, etc. Investing all of that prestige in one man or one family is absurd and fairly anti-egalitarian.

Also tradition and history has been used to justify everything from treating women as second class citizens to slavery to traditional marriages to anti-miscegenation laws. So I wouldn't start out with that.

Well, I'm not really trying to justify monarchies, per se. I just support them. Likely because of my Canadian bias.

Densaner
Minister

Founded: Jul 19, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Densaner » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:50 pm

I'm from the UK. I dislike the monarchy and support a Republic for the UK. I also dislike Monarchism wherever it may be.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:54 pm

Solaray wrote:

Well, I'm not really trying to justify monarchies, per se. I just support them. Likely because of my Canadian bias.

In truth, I'm indifferent. I'm fervently anti-monarchist and ardently republican. But I honestly cannot imagine the UK without a crown or at least as much as I can imagine the US with one.

Solaray
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Solaray » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:56 pm

Solaray wrote:Well, I'm not really trying to justify monarchies, per se. I just support them. Likely because of my Canadian bias.

In truth, I'm indifferent. I'm fervently anti-monarchist and ardently republican. But I honestly cannot imagine the UK without a crown or at least as much as I can imagine the US with one.

I'm sort of similar, in the sense that my main reason for supporting the monarchy is because it's always been there and the UK would feel so hollow without it.

Conversely, a crown in the US would be tantamount to blasphemy, given the principles of the nation.

Romalae
Minister

Founded: May 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Romalae » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:00 pm

I don't support monarchism. It's definitely a vestige from yesteryear.

That said, constitutional monarchies like the UK and Denmark are just fine.
Economic Left/Right: -3.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79

Ideology: somewhere between left-leaning centrism and social democracy
Other: irreligious, white, male

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Founded: Jan 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:12 pm

I wouldn't support the creation of new monarchies. I am ok with the UK' s monarchy at the moment, but I don't expect it to survive long after her. The current queen of England has earned a good deal of respect, but I doubt her son's can measure up.

Sosi
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 24, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Sosi » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:16 pm

Russels Orbiting Teapot wrote:I wouldn't support the creation of new monarchies. I am ok with the UK' s monarchy at the moment, but I don't expect it to survive long after her. The current queen of England has earned a good deal of respect, but I doubt her son's can measure up.

It's safe to say as an Anarcho-Monarchist that anything goes.
Have you seen my poetry?

Sanctissima
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctissima » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:19 pm

Sosi wrote:
Russels Orbiting Teapot wrote:I wouldn't support the creation of new monarchies. I am ok with the UK' s monarchy at the moment, but I don't expect it to survive long after her. The current queen of England has earned a good deal of respect, but I doubt her son's can measure up.

It's safe to say as an Anarcho-Monarchist that anything goes.

Anarcho-Monarchism? That sounds like a rare one. Care to explain your ideology's core tenets and beliefs?

Annihilators of Chan Island
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:20 pm

Personally, if I was starting my own little utopia somewhere on the planet, I'd never make it a monarchy and I am always a republican at heart in my ideologies.

But i do support the current British monarchy and other european constitutional monarchs for pragmatic reasons. Monarchs are effective national unifiers, in a way that other things like documents or history just don't measure up to. Monarchies (especially the British monarchy) is a great boost to income mostly due to tourism.
This nation is modeled on being my absolute worst dystopia imaginable. In no way do the Annihilators reflect my opinions, in fact I am totally against almost every single policy they enact.
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

I honestly really like to write issues.

Proud member of The Anti Democracy League

Liberty and Linguistics
Senator

Founded: Jan 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberty and Linguistics » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:21 pm

I'm a staunch constitutional monarchist. And, despite my irreligion, I'm proud to say God Save the Queen.

Of course, I'm merely for the preservation of existing constitutional monarchies. I'm staunchly opposed to the idea that every country should have a monarchy.
Last edited by Liberty and Linguistics on Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am: Cynic, Depressive, Junior in HS, Arizonan, Sarcastic, Wannabe Psychologist, Lover of Cinema and Rum.

Ziggy played guitar....
For ISIS | On Israel and its settlements | Flat Taxes are beneficial for all | OOC, Baby | Probably Accurate.

L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:25 pm

Sebastianbourg wrote:
L Ron Cupboard wrote:

Basically an advocate of a mixed government. A constitutional or semi-constitutional monarchy with a few reserve powers, powerful aristocracy of merit/technocracy/meritocracy, and a not-so-powerful democratically-elected chamber.

Classical is the key word. ;)

The term is new to me, it is rather confusingly named.
A leopard in every home, you know it makes sense.

Annihilators of Chan Island
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:28 pm

Annihilators of Chan Island wrote:Personally, if I was starting my own little utopia somewhere on the planet, I'd never make it a monarchy and I am always a republican at heart in my ideologies.

But i do support the current British monarchy and other european constitutional monarchs for pragmatic reasons. Monarchs are effective national unifiers, in a way that other things like documents or history just don't measure up to. Monarchies (especially the British monarchy) is a great boost to income mostly due to tourism.

This video outlines pretty much my reasoning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhyYgnhhKFw
This nation is modeled on being my absolute worst dystopia imaginable. In no way do the Annihilators reflect my opinions, in fact I am totally against almost every single policy they enact.
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

I honestly really like to write issues.

Proud member of The Anti Democracy League

Sosi
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 24, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Sosi » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:32 pm

Sanctissima wrote:
Sosi wrote:It's safe to say as an Anarcho-Monarchist that anything goes.

Anarcho-Monarchism? That sounds like a rare one. Care to explain your ideology's core tenets and beliefs?

When the Lady Of The Lake handed Arthur the sword Excalibur, he felt that the appropriate response upon receiving said honor was to hide his sword & say, "A leader leads best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his goals fulfilled, the people will say: we did it ourselves".
Last edited by Sosi on Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Have you seen my poetry?

Phintry
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Phintry » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:33 pm

I'm not a monarchist myself, but I do understand the appeal of the ideology. I don't love the British or Danish monarchies, but I don't dislike them too too much. But that's mostly because they're both constitutional and can't do anything they like.
Last edited by Phintry on Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puppet states include Phineana and Nestre.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General