NATION

PASSWORD

Is creation or evolution on the rise in the United States?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Archeuland and Baughistan
Minister

Founded: Aug 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Is creation or evolution on the rise in the United States?

Postby Archeuland and Baughistan » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:27 pm

Ken Ham, Answers in Genesis

Many of us have heard about the controversial Ark Encounter project, which, according to Ken Ham of AiG, has just broken ground. The project, which is to cost over $70,000,000 in the first stage, is privately funded, and, obviously being good for tourism, it has received some tax credits so the tax burden can be lifted off so they can focus totally on construction.

To support this,Answers in Genesis' chosen tagline for the Ark Encounter blog, 'something big is coming'. Indeed, something big is coming! The park, once completed, will be over 700 acres in size.

Ken Ham surveys a model of the project as will appears in stage one of construction

This is one of many stories that give evidence that Biblical creationists are on the rise here in the United States, like it or not.

A 2012 Gallup poll, meanwhile, shows that 46% of Americans hold a creationist view of origins. When the next poll is held, do you think that there will be more or less creationists? What about when the Ark Encounter theme park is built? Will there be more or less creationists?

Here's an admittedly quite biased article from the website Slate.com. It has a map which shows where creationism is allowed to be taught in public schools. Will there be more or less schools that teach creation and people that believe in it in the future?

In addition, another poll (sourced from ncse.com, see below reference) shows that 44% of people endorse the teachings of young-earth creation.

What does this mean for evolutionists, secularists, and those opposed to teaching Biblical doctrines in public schools? Better phrased, is creationism facing a revival in the United States? Are people rebelling against evolutionary doctrines?

My personal opinion:
* I prefer to call myself a Biblical creationist -- meaning I accept the 6000 year old earth and universe to be true.
* I think the Ark Encounter project, Creation Museum, and others are really good things. Even for those who disagree with what is taught there, it can't be denied that they bring in lots of tourists and lots of money for local businesses. New hotels and restaurants, more transportation, and the like, will spring up when the Ark Encounter is built. It will have a positive impact on the economy. It will create 500 jobs, but the jobs that will be created from the new businesses will be a lot more. All in all I love the Ark Encounter project and I'm happy to assume creationism is indeed having a revival in the United States.
* I am also opposed, personally, to evolutionary doctrines. I do not intend to have a scientific debate in this thread, I just want to debate whether or not Creation or Evolution is on the rise in the US.

http://ncse.com/blog/2013/11/just-how-m ... us-0015164

The completed Ark Encounter project courtesy of Answers in Genesis and Kentucky Transportation

This is what the Ark Encounter will look like when it is totally completed (probably around 2020). The first state of the project is done in 2016, however. What do you think about the environmental impact on this construction project? Answers in Genesis and the Kentucky Government both have opinions.

https://arkencounter.com/blog/2011/05/2 ... x-rebates/
http://transportation.ky.gov/Profession ... educed.pdf

Here are some sources and interesting articles/videos from both perspectives
http://www.crossmap.com/news/ark-encoun ... tion-11875
https://answersingenesis.org/ministry-n ... -of-money/
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Creation_Museum
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/m ... ition.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRo2sK4rO6s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDa48z5G5VY
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Answers_in_Genesis

Hopefully I put in a bunch of different sources from different viewpoints. I wanted to keep it fair.

Lots of things to discuss! What is your opinion?
Last edited by Archeuland and Baughistan on Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Standing on the truth of God's word and the gospel.
Learn more about the true history of the world here.
You must be born again? What does that mean?
Islam, the religion of peace? What does history tell us?
The Israelites were "genocidal"? No they weren't!
Agenda 21 map - it affects us all!
Let's rebuild Noah's Ark to serve as a reminder about the true history of Earth!
Proud Foreign Minister of the Christian Liberty Alliance

☩Founder of the Alliance of Protestant Nations - Join today! Learn more here

Minister

Ex-Nation

A question for evolutionists

Postby Archeuland and Baughistan » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:27 pm

I wanted to ask an honest question:

Evolutionists and others claim the Ark Encounter project, as well as the Creation Museum, are not good for America and for science. However, evolutionary thinking is a majority, not a minority, and it has the confidence of at least 55% of Americans. If evolutionists think that everyone is so confident in evolution, what difference does it make if a creationist theme park or museum opens? They would assume that evolution, believing it to be true, would not be affected and no one would leave the evolutionary viewpoint.

Are they not confident in their own flock?

I would argue that some evolutionists (like Bill Nye) are worried that evolution does not have the confidence of the American people, not seriously at least. If evolution really is true and if most Americans really do accept it, then this theme park will have absolutely no affect on anyone.

That's my standpoint, on dat, type deal.
Last edited by Archeuland and Baughistan on Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let's rebuild Noah's Ark to serve as a reminder about the true history of Earth!

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:28 pm

Brett Farve, why did you go so crazy?
Go Vikings.
Sunnyvale, straight the fuck up.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:32 pm

Building an arc doesn't mean support for creationism is increasing.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Archeuland and Baughistan » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:32 pm

Blazedtown wrote:Brett Farve, why did you go so crazy?

Wow! Ken Ham has a doppelganger! How cool is that!

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Archeuland and Baughistan » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:33 pm

Geilinor wrote:Building an arc doesn't mean support for creationism is increasing.

Good thoughts. However, we can't deny that advocacy for creationism is indeed increasing. Creationists are more vocal, it seems.

(And as a creationist, I'm happy with that!)

Ulrenon
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Ulrenon » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:35 pm

Looks like a giant badass theme park to me.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:36 pm

Actually, that Ark sounds kinda cool. I'd visit.

It doesn't change any fundamental facts about science, but it does sound cool.
Last edited by Murkwood on Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

The Althing Confederacy
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Althing Confederacy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:44 pm

As an outsider to the US climate I see both on the rise, both in population, and militancy.
Personally I hope the "Evolutionists" win. They have a more believable & consistent ideology; scratch that, evolutionists can back their claims so it isn't an ideology any more than a religion despite the "christian right" ( as opposed to intellectual christians) claiming that they are.

Silent Majority
Minister

Founded: Jun 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Silent Majority » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:53 pm

There doesn't appear to much of a trend in either direction. There's a small uptick in people who believe in evolution since the early 1980s , and a somewhat larger shift from people who believe God had a hand in evolution to people who believe he did not, in the last few years.
“It is the ultimate irony of history that radical individualism serves as the ideological justification of the unconstrained power of what the large majority of individuals experience as a vast anonymous power, which, without any democratic public control, regulates their lives.”
― Slavoj Žižek

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:53 pm

The hilarious part here, of course, is that if we accept the premise that belief in creationism is on the rise, that would mean this is occurring as the United States lags behind other developed nations in teaching science. And if you're "proud" of it taking ignorance and lack of adequate scientific teaching to accomplish that, that says a lot about you.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Archeuland and Baughistan » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:56 pm

Silent Majority wrote:(Image)

There doesn't appear to much of a trend in either direction. There's a small uptick in people who believe in evolution since the early 1980s , and a somewhat larger shift from people who believe God had a hand in evolution to people who believe he did not, in the last few years.

I would have to disagree, personally I see the Ark Encounter, Creation Museum, and other projects, as well as all the criticism of evolution, as proof that we are slowly but surely having a rise in belief in creation. If evolution really has a solid fanbase, let's wait and see if it can hold its own for the next few years. If people really are confident in evolution, then this Ark Encounter will do nothing more than boost the economy. But, if people are not confident in evolution, then, this Ark Encounter will be a major boost of the Biblical creation cause.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:58 pm

Oh joy... more chances of having to explain this to very confused Japanese...
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:58 pm

Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:

I would have to disagree, personally I see the Ark Encounter, Creation Museum, and other projects, as well as all the criticism of evolution, as proof that we are slowly but surely having a rise in belief in creation. If evolution really has a solid fanbase, let's wait and see if it can hold its own for the next few years. If people really are confident in evolution, then this Ark Encounter will do nothing more than boost the economy. But, if people are not confident in evolution, then, this Ark Encounter will be a major boost of the Biblical creation cause.

Then I suppose I'll have to leave the United States, because the country's international competitiveness is already waning, and a population that ignores basic science like this is only going to disrupt that even further.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:59 pm

So much Ham in this thread...will you Kenly stop?
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rhodevus » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:01 pm

Evolution does have a strong base. In other countries where creationism is not as strongly present. What I mean by this, is in other countries, there is much less religion involved and much more science. Creationism is not taught in every school and parents do not raise their kids to believe in god creating the world 6000 years ago, even when we have scientific evidence that the Earth is MUCH older than that. (let alone the universe)
So, I think that these projects are completely fine in the US. But, it is when people start trying to convince people it is the truth, in front of the entrances to those places, that is where the problem will start
She/Her
IATA Member Embassy Character Creation 101
Do not argue against me, you will lose...or win, depending on the situation
The Official Madman with a Box
Rodrania wrote:Rhod, I f*cking love you, man. <3
Divergia wrote:The Canadian Polar-Potato-Moose-Cat has spoken!
Beiluxia wrote:Is it just me, or does your name keep getting better the more I see it?

Factbook
International Exchange Student Program Member
XENOS MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Archeuland and Baughistan » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:01 pm

Mavorpen wrote:The hilarious part here, of course, is that if we accept the premise that belief in creationism is on the rise, that would mean this is occurring as the United States lags behind other developed nations in teaching science. And if you're "proud" of it taking ignorance and lack of adequate scientific teaching to accomplish that, that says a lot about you.

I used to hate science until I started learning about how it all tied in with the Bible. When I found about about the brilliant minds at Answers in Genesis, I started to love and appreciate science like never before. Now I call myself with pride a 'Creation scientist'. And the mission of the Ark Encounter, I consider, is a noble one.

People like Bill Nye are just scaring people into opposition -- by saying it will 'impact science education'. No, science education sucks already as-is. No Christian theme park in Cincinatti is going to make it better or worse. It will just educate people on what they believe to be true in accordance with the holy scriptures.

New Frenco Empire
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Frenco Empire » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:01 pm

One can only hope that evolution is on the rise. Scientific ignorance is nothing to be proud of.
NEW FRENCO EMPIRE

Transferring information from disorganized notes into presentable factbooks is way too time consuming for a procrastinator. Just ask if you have questions.
Plutocratic Evil Empire™ situated in a post-apocalyptic Decopunk North America. Extreme PMT, yet socially stuck in the interwar/immediate post-war era, with Jazz music and flapper culture alongside nanotechnology and Martian colonies. Tier I power of the Frencoverse.

Las Palmeras wrote:Roaring 20s but in the future and with mutants

Alyakia wrote:you are a modern poet
Top Hits of 2132! (Imperial Public Radio)
Coming at you from Fort Orwell! (Imperial Forces Network)

KAS SRD
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby KAS SRD » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:01 pm

Why would evolutionist care about having confidence? The only reason we accept evolution is because hats where the acts are. If you can prove to me Creationilism is true, ill accept it. I expect most people here, Atheist or not, would accept Creationilism if sicentist confirmed it.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:01 pm

NERVUN wrote:Oh joy... more chances of having to explain this to very confused Japanese...

I'm a confused American. What do you mean?
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Carbon based lifeforms
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Carbon based lifeforms » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:02 pm

Mavorpen wrote:The hilarious part here, of course, is that if we accept the premise that belief in creationism is on the rise, that would mean this is occurring as the United States lags behind other developed nations in teaching science. And if you're "proud" of it taking ignorance and lack of adequate scientific teaching to accomplish that, that says a lot about you.

Creationists despise science and education in general, nothing surprising there.
______________________ FREE UKRAINE ______________________
_________________. STOP RUSSIAN FASCISM ._________________

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:02 pm

I used to hate science until I started learning about how it all tied in with the Bible. When I found about about the brilliant minds at Answers in Genesis, I started to love and appreciate science like never before. Now I call myself with pride a 'Creation scientist'. And the mission of the Ark Encounter, I consider, is a noble one.

People like Bill Nye are just scaring people into opposition -- by saying it will 'impact science education'. No, science education sucks already as-is. No Christian theme park in Cincinatti is going to make it better or worse. It will just educate people on what they believe to be true in accordance with the holy scriptures.

Creationism isn't science. It's religion.

KAS SRD
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby KAS SRD » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:03 pm

Geilinor wrote:

Creationism isn't science. It's religion.

Propaganda.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:03 pm

KAS SRD wrote:
Geilinor wrote:Creationism isn't science. It's religion.

Propaganda.

How can creation "science" exist if it doesn't use the scientific method?

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:04 pm

Murkwood wrote:
NERVUN wrote:Oh joy... more chances of having to explain this to very confused Japanese...

I'm a confused American. What do you mean?

"Do people really believe this stuff? Like, honestly believe it?"

You hear that frequently from my fellow Canucks when they hear about things like this.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General