NATION

PASSWORD

Star Trek - The Shadowdancer [IC | Semi-Open]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Star Trek - The Shadowdancer [IC | Semi-Open]

Postby Mincaldenteans » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:37 pm

Rahm Izad.

The place brought unpleasant memories to Nathan, even if he grudgingly admitted that some of his fondest times were also here. It was a mixed station; old, new, cracked and shining, and all manner questionable people. How it managed to keep running with the parts that were cobbled together in some areas was anyone’s guess, but one thing was for sure: jobs were plenty in stations like these. Unlike the squeaky Federation, the militaristic Klingons, or the paranoid Romulans, space states like Rahm Izad specialized in taking all walks of life as long as one had the coin to keep their bellies full of alcohol, their beds warm with another, and the usual fee that came with keeping one’s vessel berthed. Fighting was common on a station like Rahm Izad, as security usually meant whichever (current) thug or wannabe crime lord had the muscle to “keep the peace”.

Nathan didn’t fancy the idea of being here long. Too many things went awry the last time and he wondered if the station’s commander (did they have such a thing?) would remember him. With Will piloting the ship closer to the station, it looked as though that maybe, just maybe, they’d be able to dock without issues.

“Or, they shoot us in the airlock,” he mumbled to himself darkly. He had half a mind to tell his pilot to turn the ship and head for the next dead-beat station. There were a dime a dozen on this side of the Federation, and the only reason they hadn’t swooped in and “clean house” was because most of these stations sat in neutral space, comfortable and safe in the knowledge that Federation jurisdiction and Starfleet’s no-good do-good ideals stopped them from interfering with anything out here. Or maybe it was simply beneath them. Neither would have surprised Nathan.

Currently, Rahm Izad and three other stations were the closest and sitting right beyond the Federation/Cardassian frontier, far enough from that war torn area they called the DMZ, and close enough to both borders that trade and short runs (of the questionable sort) in and out were possible.

“You’ve been clear to docking port six. Tell ya capt’ if he tries anything funky this time, we’ll shoot him on sight,” came the declaration over the comm.

“Right, heard you loud and clear,” Nathan bit back, closing the signal right after.

Definitely a bad idea, he thought to himself. He knew of only one other on this god forsaken station and he was a bit 50/50 about meeting said person. Were they friends? Maybe? Enemies? Well, he couldn’t begrudge if it came to that, but it wasn’t like he meant any of it. One thing let to another and sometimes people needed to be cut loose, is all. Nathan could only imagine all kinds of unpleasantness that could sprout up if the past was brought up. Here was hoping he’d be able to stay and leave unnoticed.

Sadly, even if he wanted to turn back, it wasn’t as though he had the option. He needed a crew and the three of them didn’t count as one, not with a ship this big. He also had cargo to sell off, if only to get enough fuel to land their next job and never look at Rahm Izad again.

He sighed at the wonderful hopelessness of that; if only that were true the dozen or so times before.

With the ship eased into its docking port, Nathan sent out a quick message to be broadcasted throughout the station (for a nominal fee of course. Extra for advert to be bumped up against all the others that were broadcasting also). He paid the small extra with a grimace and a few choice words under his breath.

The message was simple enough and read thusly:

Job Offer:

Merchant captain in need of a crew, usual basics of one on one meeting a must. Background irrelevant as long as able to take orders regularly. All prospectives start at the bottom as usual and work their way up. Permanent position available for the right person.

Looking mainly for:
Tactical experience +
Medical experience +++
Engineering experience +++

But open to all that know their way around a ship and hard work.

Will be at Jov’s Bar & Entertainment lounge today.

Nathan Farris
The Shadowdancer

Transmitting the message, he picked up his jacket and looked at Will momentarily as he scrounged around for his disruptor. He left it last night somewhere on the bridge. “Will, have some of the station’s people to help with the cargo, sell it to anyone that wants it and put all of it to fuel. If she’s at capacity than use it for whatever supplies we need. Food, basic parts, you know the drill. I’ll be at the lounge, hopefully this won’t take long.”

Holstering the disruptor (found under a console no less), Nathan walked out the bridge and hollered behind him, “oh yeah, and if you manage get that all done, feel free to join me if you like or do whatever, just stay in contact.”
Last edited by Mincaldenteans on Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:18 pm

The lounge was currently experiencing a bit of a ruckus. Namely, a couple of Klingons having a good old-fashioned bar fight. Everyone made sure to give them a wide berth until they either killed each other or got bored. Until one got shoved into a scarred Bajoran sitting at the bar. Not even paying him any mind, he went back to fighting.

"...My springwine."

Indeed, his 5th glass of springwine had been spilled when he was bumped into. Sighing, he grabbed his cane and rose from his seat. Limping over to the scrap, he pulled something from his pocket and knocked the Klingon out from behind with one quick hypo-spray to the neck. Which left the second one staring at a one-eared Bajoran.

"I'm guessing you won't fall for that trick. So I'll be more direct with you."

Grabbing the phaser from his side (And making sure it was set on maximum stun) he zapped the other brawler before he could draw his kinfe. With that taken care of, he strolled back to his seat at the bar as the message played.

"Another springwine, barkeep."
Last edited by Ameriganastan on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:34 pm

The interior of the station was as dark and filthy as he remembered last. People from all walks of life strolled around, some looked sober, some walked like zombies and the rest were somewhere in between or one end of an extreme. Nathan ignored the pathetic sight of every bystander and quickly made a beeline for the lounge. It was one of the few nicer areas of the station, but not by much as the truly pristine parts were usually controlled by the station's muscle.

That was until he found two Klingons lying on the floor unconscious at the only respectable bar on the station. He shook his head, what was new in a place like this and stepped over the two aliens, taking a seat at an empty booth.

A waitress came by, "What can I get ya?"

He thought about it for a moment and smiled, "Alderberan whiskey, got any?"

She clucked her tongue for a quick second, "It'll cost."

He shrugged, "It's fine. Oh, do me a favor, tell the barkeep if anyone's looking for Nate of the Shadowdancer, that'd be me."

"Should I?" She smirked. He pulled out two slips of latinum and slid it forward on the table to get her compliant. She took the slips and tucked it, "Whatever you say, sugar. I'll be right back." With that she left for other tables and Nathan sat quietly waiting on his drink.

The rhomaio
Spokesperson

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The rhomaio » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:11 am

Sectator Lumbered into the lounge, eying the tenants with a impassive glare. If they knew that he was calculating how to kill each of them and how much wall-space their corpses would take up, they would not be affording him the same indifference that is customary in space stations. He knew that many species took offense at his staring, but frankly it didn't matter to him, this was his instinct. And if it was to much to bear, then he would gladly eliminate their discomfort.

He walked up to the bar carefully stepping over the large limp humanoids, Klingons he believed they were called. If they were unconscious, he didn't want to rile up more denizens of this decrepit station, if they were dead, then he had no business tampering another man's kill. He sat on a bar-stool and took a look around the lounge, half hunter instinct, half a habit he picked up as a bouncer. It was mostly the indescribable assortment of aliens that one would guess hung around bars, but to the left of him sat a rather grizzled Bajoran. Sectator guessed that he was the one responsible of the Klingons wounds. The scars of many battles dotted his face and he had the air of someone who did not take kindly to being annoyed.

If he was to attack him, it would have to be quick, Klingons were a warrior race, and if he could get two, then it was safe to assume that he had quick reflexes. He would have to immobilize him, possibly be striking one of his ears with a cupped hand.
His ear.
Sectator returned his gaze to the bar, this one was not average prey, and he was in no mood for getting into a battle in which his chance of winning was slim.
He looked up at the human bartender, (a very round fellow that was not fit for even considering for prey) and gestured for him to come closer, "Innkeeper, Is their a Farris of the Shadowdancer here."
The Bartender looked puzzled for a moment, then gestured towards a corner of the bar. They're were many bipeds in that direction, but his gaze was fixed on the one that seemed like a captain. He was human, a rather unpredictable prey yet not as adaptable to alien environments as Hirogen. But Sectator let this train of thought die, if he was to be his Alpha, then it was improper to think of him as prey.
He rose a lumbered towards the human's table, (Giving the Bajoran a wide berth) "Feris of Shadowdancer?" he said, while looming over the booth.
Last edited by The rhomaio on Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Byzantine Nations! Come to your true home, Basileia ton Rhomaion! at Basileia ton Rhomaion
Whoever would lead someone to faith needs the ability to speak well and to reason properly, without violence and threats… To convince a reasonable soul, one does not need a strong arm, or weapons of any kind, or any other means of threatening a person with death." Manuel II
Sun Wukong wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:Dogs are not NECESSARY for a society to function. We can easily envision a society without them that is safer and still livable.

Careful now. You just inadvertently argued for your own execution.

Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:39 pm

Azara sat in a corner of the lounge, idly sipping at the glass of orange liquid in front of her as she ran through her dwindling finances in her head. Only a handful of coins of uncertain value and a few bars of latinum now sat in the bottom of her bag's hidden compartment, buried under heavily stained clothes which she could not afford to replace. It wouldn't have been an issue if she were still employed, but with Captain Zarlek's stash now emptied to pay for repairs on his ship he wasn't keeping on anyone who needed money any time soon. The pay had only barely made up for the meagre fare he fed his crew, and most of that money had gone to supplementing her diet - largely with alcohol, she admitted with reluctance as she stared into the glass. If things kept going the way they were now, she would find herself destitute. A job was essential.

Movement caught her eye again, this time not the Klingons. She watched as a figure, marginally more refined than the usual interstellar riffraff she saw in here, walked over to a different booth and sat in it. She watched him for a second, saw him pass some latinum to the waitress, and went back to her drink. A moment later a large, heavy-set alien of a species she didn't recognise - that didn't faze her, for there were many - walked in, glared around the room. She felt uneasy as he sized her up and relieved as his attention passed. He didn't have the look of someone who was here to assassinate someone, though she wouldn't have been surprised if he did. Her eyes followed him as he approached first the bar, then the other recent arrival. As she watched, Azara decided there was no way he was here for a fight. The man sitting down had to be the captain looking for a crew. She stood up decisively, picked up her bag and drink and began to stride over to his booth.
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Jelarais
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Jelarais » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:41 pm

Maras sat in her private booth within Jov's bar on Rahm Izad, where she would normally be "entertaining" some lucky soul who had caught her eye, or perhaps just getting very, very drunk on the best swill that this place had to offer. At the moment, however, she was giving a certain Ferengi a look that could--and had--send a Nauscican pirate running as she gripped the lapel of his grimy little uniform. "Alright, Grash, maybe I didn't hear you correctly," she said in a sickly sweet voice that promised untold amounts of pain if she didn't like the next words coming out of his mouth, "so how about you run that by me again." She made a point to dig the small blade in her left hand into the Ferengi's rib cage, causing him to wince as he tried to stammer out some kind of response.

"I-I was just speaking with a... business associate, who happens to have some ties to the Orion Syndicate. He said that there was going to be a battlecruiser docking out this way for supplies, and I might have mentioned your name when I was trying to convince him to allow me to offer my services... he seemed... very interested..." he trailed off, gagging as Maras began to strangle the life out of him with a dark fury in her eyes.

"Grash, you know as well as everyone on this station that I do not do business with the fucking Syndicate!" she spat as her hand formed a vice grip on the Ferengi's windpipe, threatening to break his larynx and remove his stupidity from the galaxy. She had done it so many times before, and this time she would probably doing a favor to everyone who had the misfortune of knowing this little worm, but... she didn't like killing, it was why she had left the syndicate in the first place. She tossed him out of her booth with a thrust and motioned for one of the Nauscicans standing guard to pick him up. "You aren't worth the energy it would take to kill you, Grash. Get him the hell off my station. No need to be gentle," she ordered, eliciting a nod from the tall alien before he forcibly dragged the Ferengi away, leaving Maras to her thoughts.

She covered her eyes with one hand and began massaging them as she tried to see a way out of this situation that didn't involve having to kill a whole lot of people. As if some higher power took pity on her in that moment her attention was suddenly drawn to a ping coming from one of the PADDs on the table, which was informing her that someone had payed the extra fee (which fed directly into her account) to put an advertisement on high priority. When the former raider saw the name on the ad her lips turned from a frown into a devilish grin, recognizing the name from about three years ago. He had rung up quite a large debt in repair fees the last time she was on the station, but she had allowed him to leave due to him sweet-talking her out of forcing him to pay on the spot. Now, she finally had a way for him to pay her back.

"A human man is about to walk into this bar," she said suddenly, drawing the attention of the Bajoran that was still standing guard, "and he's going to order a glass of Alderban Whiskey. His name is Nathan Ferris. When he's free, please tell him that I want to see him about those debts of his. Tell him that I have a way to clear them completely." The Bajoran nodded and set off to do what his mistress had ordered, just as the Nauscican that had gone away before came back and took his position in front of her booth. She gazed out over the bar and giggled as she watched a Bajoran put down two fighting Klingons with relative ease, enjoying the show that it put on. Too bad that she was going to have to leave this place ASAP, she had grown rather fond of the various riff-raff and rouges that frequented the station.

Her eyes sparkled when she saw the man that she was waiting for sit at the bar and order the same drink that he always did, the overly expensive and honestly not that great whiskey. She watched as a Hirogen approached him, then a Trill began to walk over to him just as her guard caught sight of the Captain. He did not move from his position against the wall, knowing that the Captain would most likely want to finish talking to the other two before he left the bar, and Maras simply watched the scene unfold.
Last edited by Jelarais on Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is the responsibility of the people to question those in authority.
-Benjamin Franklin

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:13 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:The lounge was currently experiencing a bit of a ruckus. Namely, a couple of Klingons having a good old-fashioned bar fight. Everyone made sure to give them a wide berth until they either killed each other or got bored. Until one got shoved into a scarred Bajoran sitting at the bar. Not even paying him any mind, he went back to fighting.

"...My springwine."

Indeed, his 5th glass of springwine had been spilled when he was bumped into. Sighing, he grabbed his cane and rose from his seat. Limping over to the scrap, he pulled something from his pocket and knocked the Klingon out from behind with one quick hypo-spray to the neck. Which left the second one staring at a one-eared Bajoran.

"I'm guessing you won't fall for that trick. So I'll be more direct with you."

Grabbing the phaser from his side (And making sure it was set on maximum stun) he zapped the other brawler before he could draw his kinfe. With that taken care of, he strolled back to his seat at the bar as the message played.

"Another springwine, barkeep."

The rhomaio wrote:Sectator Lumbered into the lounge, eying the tenants with a impassive glare. If they knew that he was calculating how to kill each of them and how much wall-space their corpses would take up, they would not be affording him the same indifference that is customary in space stations. He knew that many species took offense at his staring, but frankly it didn't matter to him, this was his instinct. And if it was too much to bear, then he would gladly eliminate their discomfort.

He walked up to the bar carefully stepping over the large limp humanoids, Klingons he believed they were called. If they were unconscious, he didn't want to rile up more denizens of this decrepit station, if they were dead, then he had no business tampering another man's kill. He sat on a bar-stool and took a look around the lounge, half hunter instinct, half a habit he picked up as a bouncer. It was mostly the indescribable assortment of aliens that one would guess hung around bars, but to the left of him sat a rather grizzled Bajoran. Sectator guessed that he was the one responsible of the Klingons wounds. The scars of many battles dotted his face and he had the air of someone who did not take kindly to being annoyed.

If he was to attack him, it would have to be quick, Klingons were a warrior race, and if he could get two, then it was safe to assume that he had quick reflexes. He would have to immobilize him, possibly be striking one of his ears with a cupped hand.
His ear.
Sectator returned his gaze to the bar, this one was not average prey, and he was in no mood for getting into a battle in which his chance of winning was slim.
He looked up at the human bartender, (a very round fellow that was not fit for even considering for prey) and gestured for him to come closer, "Innkeeper, Is there a Farris of the Shadowdancer here."
The Bartender looked puzzled for a moment, then gestured towards a corner of the bar. There were many bipeds in that direction, but his gaze was fixed on the one that seemed like a captain. He was human, a rather unpredictable prey yet not as adaptable to alien environments as Hirogen. But Sectator let this train of thought die, if he was to be his Alpha, then it was improper to think of him as prey.
He rose a lumbered towards the human's table, (Giving the Bajoran a wide berth) "Feris of Shadowdancer?" he said, while looming over the booth.

Maltropia wrote:
Azara sat in a corner of the lounge, idly sipping at the glass of orange liquid in front of her as she ran through her dwindling finances in her head. Only a handful of coins of uncertain value and a few bars of latinum now sat in the bottom of her bag's hidden compartment, buried under heavily stained clothes which she could not afford to replace. It wouldn't have been an issue if she were still employed, but with Captain Zarlek's stash now emptied to pay for repairs on his ship he wasn't keeping on anyone who needed money any time soon. The pay had only barely made up for the meagre fare he fed his crew, and most of that money had gone to supplementing her diet - largely with alcohol, she admitted with reluctance as she stared into the glass. If things kept going the way they were now, she would find herself destitute. A job was essential.

Movement caught her eye again, this time not the Klingons. She watched as a figure, marginally more refined than the usual interstellar riffraff she saw in here, walked over to a different booth and sat in it. She watched him for a second, saw him pass some latinum to the waitress, and went back to her drink. A moment later a large, heavy-set alien of a species she didn't recognise - that didn't faze her, for there were many - walked in, glared around the room. She felt uneasy as he sized her up and relieved as his attention passed. He didn't have the look of someone who was here to assassinate someone, though she wouldn't have been surprised if he did. Her eyes followed him as he approached first the bar, then the other recent arrival. As she watched, Azara decided there was no way he was here for a fight. The man sitting down had to be the captain looking for a crew. She stood up decisively, picked up her bag and drink and began to stride over to his booth.

Jelarais wrote:Maras sat in her private booth within Jov's bar on Rahm Izad, where she would normally be "entertaining" some lucky soul who had caught her eye, or perhaps just getting very, very drunk on the best swill that this place had to offer. At the moment, however, she was giving a certain Ferengi a look that could--and had--send a Nauscican pirate running as she gripped the lapel of his grimy little uniform. "Alright, Grash, maybe I didn't hear you correctly," she said in a sickly sweet voice that promised untold amounts of pain if she didn't like the next words coming out of his mouth, "so how about you run that by me again." She made a point to dig the small blade in her left hand into the Ferengi's rib cage, causing him to wince as he tried to stammer out some kind of response.

"I-I was just speaking with a... business associate, who happens to have some ties to the Orion Syndicate. He said that there was going to be a battlecruiser docking out this way for supplies, and I might have mentioned your name when I was trying to convince him to allow me to offer my services... he seemed... very interested..." he trailed off, gagging as Maras began to strangle the life out of him with a dark fury in her eyes.

"Grash, you know as well as everyone on this station that I do not do business with the fucking Syndicate!" she spat as her hand formed a vice grip on the Ferengi's windpipe, threatening to break his larynx and remove his stupidity from the galaxy. She had done it so many times before, and this time she would probably doing a favor to everyone who had the misfortune of knowing this little worm, but... she didn't like killing, it was why she had left the syndicate in the first place. She tossed him out of her booth with a thrust and motioned for one of the Nauscicans standing guard to pick him up. "You aren't worth the energy it would take to kill you, Grash. Get him the hell off my station. No need to be gentle," she ordered, eliciting a nod from the tall alien before he forcibly dragged the Ferengi away, leaving Maras to her thoughts.

She covered her eyes with one hand and began massaging them as she tried to see a way out of this situation that didn't involve having to kill a whole lot of people. As if some higher power took pity on her in that moment her attention was suddenly drawn to a ping coming from one of the PADDs on the table, which was informing her that someone had payed the extra fee (which fed directly into her account) to put an advertisement on high priority. When the former raider saw the name on the ad her lips turned from a frown into a devilish grin, recognizing the name from about three years ago. He had rung up quite a large debt in repair fees the last time she was on the station, but she had allowed him to leave due to him sweet-talking her out of forcing him to pay on the spot. Now, she finally had a way for him to pay her back.

"A human man is about to walk into this bar," she said suddenly, drawing the attention of the Bajoran that was still standing guard, "and he's going to order a glass of Alderban Whiskey. His name is Nathan Ferris. When he's free, please tell him that I want to see him about those debts of his. Tell him that I have a way to clear them completely." The Bajoran nodded and set off to do what his mistress had ordered, just as the Nauscican that had gone away before came back and took his position in front of her booth. She gazed out over the bar and giggled as she watched a Bajoran put down two fighting Klingons with relative ease, enjoying the show that it put on. Too bad that she was going to have to leave this place ASAP, she had grown rather fond of the various riff-raff and rouges that frequented the station.

Her eyes sparkled when she saw the man that she was waiting for sit at the bar and order the same drink that he always did, the overly expensive and honestly not that great whiskey. She watched as a Hirogen approached him, then a Trill began to walk over to him just as her guard caught sight of the Captain. He did not move from his position against the wall, knowing that the Captain would most likely want to finish talking to the other two before he left the bar, and Maras simply watched the scene unfold.

The drink had come by quickly enough, almost surprising Nathan at the speed of the bar’s service. It wasn’t as though there was a crowd but the captain had long since given up any notion of customer service in Rahm Izad. Two cubes floated with the drink, just enough to chill the beverage, but not enough to dilute and sully the whiskey. The waitress attending him and left as quickly as she had suddenly appeared, and no sooner that her cheap perfume caught Nathan’s nose did a hulking brute of a… something came asking his name. If it weren’t for the job posting, the captain was sure to have assumed trouble. Instead he took a sip of his whiskey and nodded after, gesturing for the man to take a seat.

He wasn’t able to get a word out when a lithe, attractive Trill came stalking toward the table with a bag gripped and slung over her shoulder one arm and a drink in the other hand. He glanced back at the unrecognizable alien first before setting his eyes back on the woman.

“It’s Farris, not Feris,” he said by way of greeting to the hulking alien. Though truth be told there was little to distinguish between each name. Not the guy’s fault he didn’t know better, but it was something Nathan was a tad sensitive about. Continuing, “And unless I owe you something, which at this point I should point out I don’t pay by proxy; you two must be here about my ad,” Nathan concluded, the woman being close enough to catch the last of his sentence, maybe more. His voice wasn’t loud, and the bar wasn’t exactly noisy; a few keywords would carry across and be heard by the grumpy looking Bajoran sitting at the bar.

“So what is it you two have to offer?” He asked out right. He had little patience for posturing and he wondered if they would appreciate that or take offense. Neither would surprise him as he wasn’t exactly the most social or easy person to get along with.

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:26 pm

So this was the man. She slid into the seat opposite Farris before the alien had a chance to, nodding at him in passing. Farris' tone had been brusque, but didn't seem outright rude. She could work with brusque, and he he seemed to have an eye for an attractive woman, which she knew she was. Enough of her previous employers had tried to get her into their beds for her to understand how valuable an asset her... assets were.

She put the drink down on the table and used the now free hand to whip a battered PADD - no longer the clean sheen of the Starfleet-issue device out and plant it in front of Farris. "My past employment. It should speak for itself," she stated, matter-of-factly, knowing that the list contained no fewer than 8 "Chief Engineer" positions on various freighters, smugglers' crafts and other ships. She watched his face as she took another drink from the orange glass.
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

The rhomaio
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The rhomaio » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:52 pm

Sectator was a bit taken aback by his frankness, but he had to put this aside and judge the character of his possible Alpha or be at a disadvantage. By the mention of debts, the desperation of putting an add out, and his clothing, Sectator guessed he was embroiled in... less noble affairs. Excellent, one who lives outside of the law is much more likely to have enemies. "Farris," he said motionless, except for a nod. "I am a hunter, but I suppose that I can act as security for you. And while I am unsure of your motives, I can supply... muscle." the word felt distasteful in his mouth. "I can also handle a tactical station well enough." This was only partly true, yes he had been adept at handling Hirogen controls, but the texture-less pads of this quadrant were alien to him.
Last edited by The rhomaio on Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Byzantine Nations! Come to your true home, Basileia ton Rhomaion! at Basileia ton Rhomaion
Whoever would lead someone to faith needs the ability to speak well and to reason properly, without violence and threats… To convince a reasonable soul, one does not need a strong arm, or weapons of any kind, or any other means of threatening a person with death." Manuel II
Sun Wukong wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:Dogs are not NECESSARY for a society to function. We can easily envision a society without them that is safer and still livable.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:40 pm

Sirco had turned so his decent ear faced Nathans table. He wasn't deaf in his bad one, but he did hear better with his intact one. And years in the resistance had taught him to listen closely and over noise. Hence he dropped some latinum on the bar. And some extra as a tip.

"Thanks for the drinks. And for not calling security on me for the Klingons."

Grabbing his cane, he slowly made his way over to the group at the table. And made himself known by jabbing the Hirogen in the neck with a blood sample gathering tool.

"I don't know what you are. So I'm taking a blood sample. You'll thank me when your eyes don't start bleeding if I give you something for a headache...huh, red. I don't know why I expected green."

He finally removed the thing and gave the vile a decent shake.

"Well, you're not a Changeling. Good start."

He stuffed the sample in his pocket.

"Anyway, I couldn't help eavesdropping on your little gathering. And I assume lizard boy and spots here aren't doctors. So good news, I'll take the position...oh, Dr. Sirco Fuliar by the way. Charmed."

He gave the Hirogen another look.

"You are ugly."

And turned his attention to Azara next, poking her in the belly with his cane.

"No scar. Means you're unjoined. Good. Joined Trill are a pain the neck to doctor."
Last edited by Ameriganastan on Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:30 pm

Maltropia wrote:
So this was the man. She slid into the seat opposite Farris before the alien had a chance to, nodding at him in passing. Farris' tone had been brusque, but didn't seem outright rude. She could work with brusque, and he he seemed to have an eye for an attractive woman, which she knew she was. Enough of her previous employers had tried to get her into their beds for her to understand how valuable an asset her... assets were.

She put the drink down on the table and used the now free hand to whip a battered PADD - no longer the clean sheen of the Starfleet-issue device out and plant it in front of Farris. "My past employment. It should speak for itself," she stated, matter-of-factly, knowing that the list contained no fewer than 8 "Chief Engineer" positions on various freighters, smugglers' crafts and other ships. She watched his face as she took another drink from the orange glass.

The rhomaio wrote:Sectator was a bit taken aback by his frankness, but he had to put this aside and judge the character of his possible Alpha or be at a disadvantage. By the mention of debts, the desperation of putting an add out, and his clothing, Sectator guessed he was embroiled in... less noble affairs. Excellent, one who lives outside of the law is much more likely to have enemies. "Farris," he said motionless, except for a nod. "I am a hunter, but I suppose that I can act as security for you. And while I am unsure of your motives, I can supply... muscle." the word felt distasteful in his mouth. "I can also handle a tactical station well enough." This was only partly true, yes he had been adept at handling Hirogen controls, but the texture-less pads of this quadrant were alien to him.

Ameriganastan wrote:Sirco had turned so his decent ear faced Nathans table. He wasn't deaf in his bad one, but he did hear better with his intact one. And years in the resistance had taught him to listen closely and over noise. Hence he dropped some latinum on the bar. And some extra as a tip.

"Thanks for the drinks. And for not calling security on me for the Klingons."

Grabbing his cane, he slowly made his way over to the group at the table. And made himself known by jabbing the Hirogen in the neck with a blood sample gathering tool.

"I don't know what you are. So I'm taking a blood sample. You'll thank me when your eyes don't start bleeding if I give you something for a headache...huh, red. I don't know why I expected green."

He finally removed the thing and gave the vile a decent shake.

"Well, you're not a Changeling. Good start."

He stuffed the sample in his pocket.

"Anyway, I couldn't help eavesdropping on your little gathering. And I assume lizard boy and spots here aren't doctors. So good news, I'll take the position...oh, Dr. Sirco Fuliar by the way. Charmed."

He gave the Hirogen another look.

"You are ugly."

And turned his attention to Azara next, poking her in the belly with his cane.

"No scar. Means you're unjoined. Good. Joined Trill are a pain the neck to doctor."

Nathan could only blink at the sight of the Bajoran that took all the focus in the meeting. "Charmed yes. A doctor you say? Wow, either you three were specifically waiting for me - in which case that's never good, or I'm actually having a good day," he said sardonically. Nathan slowly swirled the whiskey in his glass around and took another sip. 'Dancer never had a doctor, it was their one main weakness since her maiden voyage. "Alright, we'll see what you can do, doc. Just... play Doctor Jackal somewhere else, not on my crew. I'm sure you have some credentials on you I could take a look at?

"And please have a seat, will you guys? Its not an audition and I already have your stuff to look over," he nodded toward Azara. When they sat down, albeit a bit separated (understandably so), he quickly got through the introductions, mainly their first names. He picked up the padd Azara had slid forward earlier and ran through her history. Nodding with approval, but not looking at her yet, "Oh good, I run a modified Federation civ transport. Should make things a little easier on you."

That part was a bit exaggerated. 'Fleet had great vessels if they had the manpower to keep the delicate automatic systems running smoothly. 'Dancer had said systems but no manpower in almost 8 years; suffice to say kicking the console did little to improve things around the engine room. Azara was going to have a field day in there and he was sure that half a dozen blood curses were going to be aimed at him when she stepped in there. "You're in," he said simply to her. He honestly wondered if she could get it in working order, the last time 'Dancer purred was when...

"And your'e a... hunter," Nathan said slowly next to Sectator, taking a good and careful look of the Hirogen. He did look menacing and the uniform (Armor? Costume? What was he wearing anyway?) was imposing to say the least. "I don't need 'muscle', as you put it. And if he's anything to go by that's not your concern at all," Nathan gestured with his chin toward the Klingons and they all knew who was responsible for that when all eyes fell upon Sirco. He continued, "But, you say you have a bit of tactical knowledge; that comes in handy. Space isn't getting any safer these days, what with Carddies, Feds and Klingons at each others' throats. 'Dancer isn't armed to the teeth and I don't care to engage her in combat either. Nor do I intend to get into any fights, but truth be told that's never a guarantee in our line of work. But if we ever do, I'm sure they'll think twice just lookin' at you..."

He stopped for a moment to examine this odd lot. A gorgeous looking Trill (honestly when were they not gorgeous?), a grizzly - if somewhat grumpy looking - Bajoran and Sectator, species still undefined as Nathan hadn't asked yet. He tossed back the whiskey, feeling it burn through his lungs; must have been the cheapest they had if it was burning this much. "Alright," he rasped, "the ship's at docking port six. We're not leaving right away I've got some things to take care off first. Just be ready when I call for you. Whatever personal belongings you have, bring them on board. Will, my pilot, is already there, I'll let him know to expect the three of you."

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:54 am

Sirco rolled his eyes and pulled something from his shirt pocket. He slapped it on the table. A small pad with his face on it.

"Credentials. Feh. I spent 30 years performing surgery and sewing limbs back on. Self taught I add! Kept resistance cells from Dahkur to Hedrikspool in fighting shape."

He reflexively reached for where his springwine usually was. He got nothing but air of course.

"Second the occupation ends? The damn Bajoran ministry of something or other makes me apply for a damn license. Not so much as a thank you. No, I get told 'We can't have unlicensed doctors running about anymore'. And when I get the stupid thing? They ship me off to this dump. 'Station doctor' they said. I doubt any station doctor could deliver twins while holding off a Cardassian detachment dead set on displaying your corpse as a message."

He rose from his seat.

"I'm going to pack my stuff. The sooner I can say farewell to this floating scrapheap the better."

He grabbed a drink from the tray of a passing waitress and took it in one swig, simply tossing the glass over his shoulder. Straightening his jacket, he hobbled out of the lounge to get ready.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:33 am

After introducing herself, Azara listened impassively to the conversation. She winced, not so much at the cane as at the reminder of her rejection, but she was secretly impressed by this doctor's perceptiveness. Oh, she didn't like him, of that much she was sure, but she was good at avoiding trips to the doctor. She'd stick to her engineering if he'd keep to his sickbay.

Not that engineering would be spacious. She'd worked on a couple of civilian transports - horrible, cramped things - and wouldn't trust any of the 'modifications' until she'd had a chance to dismantle and reassemble them herself. She kept sipping at her drink, noticing with regret that, despite her measured pace, the deep glass was more or less empty.

She took back the PADD. "I'll be on board, then, making sure your engines'll start up," she said, not hiding her distaste for Starfleet's civilian product line. "One of the last buckets I sailed in lost a nacelle when it tried to reverse out of spacedock. Took me a week to stick it back on." She downed the last of the beverage and once more picked up her bag, tossing the PADD back inside. She nodded at Farris and Sectator. "Pleasure to meet you both," she said, and climbed deftly out of the booth.

Of course, she did have one last job to attend to. She approached the bar, making straight for the bartender. "Hi," she said, cutely.

He blushed. Ugh. "Hu-hi," he replied awkwardly, obviously already fantisising about the lovely lady before him. "Wha' can I do f'you?"

She smiled a coy smile. "You know the drink I just had?" She'd had to explain it to him in detail earlier and had no intention of going through that again. The colour, it had eventually proven, was enough for him to recognise it. "The orange one?"

He nodded conspiratorially. "Grapefruit juice, yeah." What an idiot. Azara leaned in closer.

"I want four bottles of it." She watched with disgust as his face went red.

"Anything for you," he eventually replied, and shuffled over to his cabinet. While he was getting the bottles, she talked her bag out of a bar of latinum which she promptly slid across the counter. The bartender came back, four bottles clumsily held in what must have been part of his species' mating rituals.

She gestured to the latinum. "This is all I have," Azara bemoaned with as apologetic a tone as she could muster. "Will it do?" He nodded mutely. Bracing herself, she kissed his cheek.

"You're a star," she whispered in his ear, before taking the bottles and stuffing them into her bag. Not waiting for him to scribble a receipt with his station intercom number, she turned and left the bar without a backward glance.

The rhomaio
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The rhomaio » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:30 am

The Hirogen was uncomfortable when the humanoid took the seat, but he was infinitely more so after the Bajoran jabbed his neck. In fact, he remained for a few moments longer then the others, his eyes nervously twitching. ".....Thank you Farris of Shadowdancer, I shall retrieve my equipment and arrive at the Shadowdancer shortly." He said rising from his seat and walked towards the exit. Sectator was fuming, not because of the insults and the apparent rudeness of the female and the Bajoran, but at the prospect of them being his fellow betas? That he could not abide. On a Hirogen vessel, the crew had a mutual respect for each other, anything less might interfere with the hunt. But these betas had no apparent respect for him, he would hold his tongue out of respect for the Alpha, but he decided that he would make one thing clear to the others; When his fellow beta is not a Hirogen, there is a thin line between fellow hunter, and prey.
Last edited by The rhomaio on Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sun Wukong wrote:

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:40 pm

As each one peeled off from their seats and made their way out, presumably to get their affects, he waited a moment to let it sink in the fact he had three new members. That meant three new people on the pay roll, three mouths (maybe five, the Hirogen looked like he could eat for two) to feed, supplies, weapons (well, this one was debatable) and jobs that paid enough so that they didn't stab him in the night for being disgruntled.

It reminded him of the easier days and he couldn't help but smile at the thought. Those were the easier days when the Borg wasn't a threat and the Klingons were all but cowed into peace by the Federation. It was a time before Will or Arelle or...

"Maras wants to see you," came a voice from a blind spot that nearly made him jump and reach for his weapon.

Or Maras.

Still, sometimes no matter how much things changed, they never ceased to be the same. He grumbled under his breath; there wasn't enough booze on this pail of self-sealing stembolts to deal with Maras. "Wonderful, the one person I had hoped to avoid on this station."

"Then you shouldn't have come at all," the Bajoran told him stiffly and walked off, the expectation for Nathan to follow clearly stated.

Sighing, he pushed off his seat and followed. The last time he was here, he incurred a high debt (still does), and yet to pay it off (never got around to it, more like). What's more was that Maras hadn't be insistent on payment by sending proxies to do her collecting and Nathan found that a bit odd, but then he also remembered how she preferred to be 'hands-on'... in all things. He'd rather not she got that way with him at all.

The Bajoran led him to the very far end of the bar, safe and tucked away from any peering eyes. It was as if it was its own room minus an actual door. His eyes adjusted to the dimly lit but spacious booth. There she was, all short, green and alluring like he remembered last. He bought none of it.

"Maras," he said neutrally. "To what do I owe this honor?"

Gibberan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gibberan » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:22 pm

“Will, have some of the station’s people to help with the cargo, sell it to anyone that wants it and put all of it to fuel. If she’s at capacity than use it for whatever supplies we need. Food, basic parts, you know the drill. I’ll be at the lounge, hopefully this won’t take long. Oh yeah, and if you manage get that all done, feel free to join me if you like or do whatever, just stay in contact.”

"Will do, Cap, I'll be down in a jiff." said Will, who got up out of his seat and headed towards the exit, following the Captain towards the transporter room. He had been on the ship for a good two years now, and he knew the drill. After Ferris left the ship, Will transported the ship's large crates of cargo (mostly made up of contraband, though there were medical supplies and utilities) outside to save himself the trouble of carrying it all down, and then simply walked down the ramp into the docking bay, where the crates were waiting for him.

The selling process took forever. At first, a group of slow-talking Gorn weren't being able to comprehend that the state-of-the-art holoprojectors would not be purchased by a bottle of rather ripe Meridor and an offer to marry one of their sisters; there was also a group of unruly Klingon merchants who, after having made their purchase, realized that they had bought phaser rifles instead of phaser pistols, and demanded a hefty refund. Even after he had sold everything he could, he had been approached by an unusually-talkative Lurian, which kept on inquiring if and when they would have another large supply of isolinear rods. It was a hassle, but Will knew it was necessary if they were to get enough money for fuel; and frankly he couldn't wait to get off of the station. It was coarse, dirty, and full with strange, often uncouth characters from every corner of the galaxy and then some; these things were present aboard the Dancer too, but he had learned to live with them, at the expense of his innocence and naive youthfulness.

Eventually he finally finished all the tasks he needed to do, and, after buying the fuel (he managed to acquire a few extra canisters, as the clerk owed him a favor from the Dancer's last experience at Rahm Izad), he headed down to the bar. As he entered, he realized it was even more crowded, filthy, and than the rest of the station. He quickly located the Captain, and, after ordering a small meal, picked up a stool and sat down at the end of the bar next to him. "Got everything done, Cap, even have a few extra fuel canisters in the back." Suddenly, he realized the others who had been talking with Ferris before he had interrupted had left. "Did they take up the job offer?"
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his son in the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through himJohn 3:16-17

RP Name the Ambrosian Confederal Republic, or Ambrose
(you can still call me Gibbs)

Proud Esquarian!
(but also consider Kylaris)
Kassaran wrote:NSG, the one place where your opinion is the wrong one if it aint liberal enough for them... unless you're me, I'm well known for generally just despising human rights and the whole idea of entitlement.
Timothia wrote:My bad, I should have known better than to challenge the unchanging hive-mind of NSG. Won't happen again any time soon.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:53 pm

"Grab my med-kits. Make sure I have plenty of hypo-sprays. Get my laser scalpels..."

Sirco was back in his quarters, grabbing what he deemed necessary to take with him.

"Get my lucky coat. Can't forget that. My springwine..."

As he scrounged around his quarters, a ring came at his door.

"...I knew she'd find out. That's why I hate space-stations. Everyone is in everyone's business. Come in!"

The door opened to reveal a Bajoran nurse, tapping her foot impatiently.

"Running off again? You know how angry the ministry got the last time you did that."

Sirco gave a weary huff. He'd been through this before.

"If they didn't want me to wander, then they shouldn't have stuck me in this tin can. I hate being stuck in one place. Been that way since I was a kid. I need to move around. Don't try and stop me, Alenis. I'm leaving and you can't stop me."

She entered the room and sat beside him, handing him another hypo-spray.

"I know. I just wanted to make sure you brought your medicine. You know how bad your leg cramps get without it. And don't let whoever these people are get you into trouble. Okay?"

He rolled his eyes, but took it anyway.

"Yeah, yeah. Now quit treating me like some dottering old man. I'm only 49."

She gave him a goodbye hug before heading out the door.

"Bye, daddy. Take care."

He returned to packing his stuff after she left.

"Just had to teach her medicine too..."
Last edited by Ameriganastan on Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:21 am

There wasn't much to be said. Nathan was well used to her lack of punctuality and her other quirks, even though it had been less than a year. On the other hand, showing up in her business suit would probably have raised some eyebrows among the newcomers. Possibly even scared off some of the less hardy types who weren't sure what to make of her.

A solid thwack heralded the end of the game of pool she'd been playing against a Zakdorn, who began to sputter as his brain finally woke up from the stupor she'd put him in. Or maybe it was the sight of a Breen neural truncheon being used as a cuestick. Reaching up, she tweaked his nose lightly, and winked. The thin, ragged curtain separating the recreation areas from the bar proper drew aside.

Arelle stepped out, noting at once the array of lustful stares from the bartender and nearly every other male at the bar. She wasn't precisely what they wanted - coltish and willowy tended to be more to the tastes of spaceport scum. Probably balanced out their own flab, or something like that. Still, she knew their eyes were following her as she strode over to Nathan's table. Black hair and aquamarine eyes were striking enough, even without the white fringe that bounced with every step. It had been that way for much of her teen and adult life, and in some ways she reveled in it.

She dropped into the third chair facing Maras, so that she sandwiched Nathan between herself and Will, and rested her chin on her palms while awaiting the Orion woman's answer. Maras' reputation came as no surprise, and in fact there were fewer degrees of separation between them than most people knew. They'd met face to face only a couple of times, however, and not always on friendly terms. Respectful, always; friendly, not.
Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart. -Khalil Gibran
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
I wear teal, blue, pink, and red for Swith.
mumblemumblemumble

Jelarais
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Jelarais » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:58 am

Maras said nothing as Nathan dropped into one of the free seats in her booth, choosing instead to look down at a PADD and tap away at a few commands, forcing him to wait a few seconds. She looked up and raised a hand to stop her guards when Nathan's helmsman, a rather quirky little man whom she had quite a bit of fun teasing, and his little spy sat down next to him, causing all of them to face her. She wasn't in any danger that she couldn't get out of, especially not with them surrounded by people whose livelyhood depended on her continued support of their bank accounts. She finally set the PADD down on the table after a few moments of silence and leaned back into her cushions, getting comfortable for the oncoming conversation that would require more than a little bit of charm on her part.

"Nathan, it is simply a delight to have you on my lovely little corner of paradise again," she purred amicably as she gave the smuggler her most charming smile, but refrained from releasing the pheremones that would put any normal male completely under her control. She didn't need them for this, he owed her enough that she could take his ship and everything on it and still be able to indenture him as a slave for years trying to pay her off... not that she would. Slavery was one of the only things that she had completely banned from Rahm Izad. "And I see you've brought your little friends with you, that's good. It's nice to have people that you can... mmm... depend on," Maras commented lightly as her eyes roamed over the other two regular members of his crew, stopping for a moment on the spy and appraising her lightly. A little willowy for her tastes, but she could be fun if Maras pushed the right buttons.

"But, I digress. As for why I have invited you for this little conversation, it is very simple... You owe me quite a bit of gold-pressed latinum. More than you could make in a dozen jobs, and we both know that the 'Dancer is soaking up most of your profits," her voice shifted from sultry to business-like in an instant, and her eyes went from unfocused and mildly distracted to intense as she stared at Nathan. "Now, I haven't bothered you one little bit about this money, mostly because you are a very resourceful man with a nice ship. And in my experience, those kind of people are the ones you want in your debt rather than out of it," she said, her voice and posture relaxing ever so slightly, even as her eyes maintained their burning stare.

"I'm calling in that debt, Nathan. You're going to take me on as a member of your crew, and we're going to go into business together. Partners, if you will," she said, smiling as she raised one hand to quell the complaints that she knew would be coming. He treated that ship like it was his child, and he would not be happy about her forcing her way into his little "family," but she needed to get off of this station and as far away from the Syndicate as possible. Nathan tended to go to the ass-end of the galaxy for jobs, and the syndicate would never look for someone like her serving on the crew of a little civilian transport/cargo ship. "Not for too long, you understand. I just need to go to ground for a while, and your vessel provides the perfect opportunity. In exchange, your debt is erased and you never have to see me again once we're done. Hell, I'll even throw in a few crates of refined Neutronium that you can sell once we make the next port. What do you say?" she asked, now leaning forward and resting her chin on her folded hands as she rested her elbows on the table.
-Benjamin Franklin

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:57 pm

Jelarais wrote:
Maras said nothing as Nathan dropped into one of the free seats in her booth, choosing instead to look down at a PADD and tap away at a few commands, forcing him to wait a few seconds. She looked up and raised a hand to stop her guards when Nathan's helmsman, a rather quirky little man whom she had quite a bit of fun teasing, and his little spy sat down next to him, causing all of them to face her. She wasn't in any danger that she couldn't get out of, especially not with them surrounded by people whose livelyhood depended on her continued support of their bank accounts. She finally set the PADD down on the table after a few moments of silence and leaned back into her cushions, getting comfortable for the oncoming conversation that would require more than a little bit of charm on her part.

"Nathan, it is simply a delight to have you on my lovely little corner of paradise again," she purred amicably as she gave the smuggler her most charming smile, but refrained from releasing the pheremones that would put any normal male completely under her control. She didn't need them for this, he owed her enough that she could take his ship and everything on it and still be able to indenture him as a slave for years trying to pay her off... not that she would. Slavery was one of the only things that she had completely banned from Rahm Izad. "And I see you've brought your little friends with you, that's good. It's nice to have people that you can... mmm... depend on," Maras commented lightly as her eyes roamed over the other two regular members of his crew, stopping for a moment on the spy and appraising her lightly. A little willowy for her tastes, but she could be fun if Maras pushed the right buttons.

"But, I digress. As for why I have invited you for this little conversation, it is very simple... You owe me quite a bit of gold-pressed latinum. More than you could make in a dozen jobs, and we both know that the 'Dancer is soaking up most of your profits," her voice shifted from sultry to business-like in an instant, and her eyes went from unfocused and mildly distracted to intense as she stared at Nathan. "Now, I haven't bothered you one little bit about this money, mostly because you are a very resourceful man with a nice ship. And in my experience, those kind of people are the ones you want in your debt rather than out of it," she said, her voice and posture relaxing ever so slightly, even as her eyes maintained their burning stare.

"I'm calling in that debt, Nathan. You're going to take me on as a member of your crew, and we're going to go into business together. Partners, if you will," she said, smiling as she raised one hand to quell the complaints that she knew would be coming. He treated that ship like it was his child, and he would not be happy about her forcing her way into his little "family," but she needed to get off of this station and as far away from the Syndicate as possible. Nathan tended to go to the ass-end of the galaxy for jobs, and the syndicate would never look for someone like her serving on the crew of a little civilian transport/cargo ship. "Not for too long, you understand. I just need to go to ground for a while, and your vessel provides the perfect opportunity. In exchange, your debt is erased and you never have to see me again once we're done. Hell, I'll even throw in a few crates of refined Neutronium that you can sell once we make the next port. What do you say?" she asked, now leaning forward and resting her chin on her folded hands as she rested her elbows on the table.

The captain narrowed his eyes and crossed his arms, staring silently at her for a moment. It really couldn't have been that easy. Housing her a bit and suddenly all was forgiven? That was a sizable amount of money he owed her. Ferengii got violent over that kind of sum (that or committed suicide for fear of the Great Exchequer), and to sweeten the pot she was going to just let all slide plus refined neutronium to sweetened the deal. He was swimming in the read, threading by and if Will wasn't around to sell the junk he had, Nathan was sure he'd be selling pieces of 'Dancer instead just to keep afloat. Still... her offer...

No. It stank of something. Something only Maras would have done and now she needed him, but hiding it under the veil of generosity. It was antithetical to the woman he knew these years. Debts be damned, the last thing he wanted was more trouble.

He smiled.

"I don't know Maras, seems to me you're being awfully generous and we both know that's not in your nature." He bowed his head to one side slightly to concede a point she made, "Granted, I could spend the next few decades paying what I owe you instead. But the real question is why the sudden magnanimity," he leaned forward, the smile not the least pleasant, "what did you get yourself into? After all, having you on board has always been a rollercoaster, Maras, so you'll have to forgive me if I'm suddenly dumbstruck by your sudden petition and debt forgiveness."
Last edited by Mincaldenteans on Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gibberan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gibberan » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:43 pm

Will nodded at Arelle in greeting. While it wasn't exactly friendly, it had become habit back aboard the ship, and he knew neither of them really cared whether they were acknowledged by the other or not.

Then, the Captain started talking in the direction of the shadowy corner of the bar. He realized there was someone there...a female Orion. He hadn't noticed anyone there before, which was strange, because he usually seemed to notice everything (he described it as his curse). Squinting, he was able to make out the features of the scantily-clad Orion.

Then her beauty hit him.

He was immediately in love, or at least, felt a strong sense of attraction to her. His lips started to curl up in an almost-dreamy smile, but he then stopped himself. He realized that this was Maras, the manager of the station. Be professional, Will, he told himself. This is business. Strictly business....

He extended a hand to her to shake. "Erm, hello. I don't believe we've met...I'm Will Parmenter, pilot of the Shadowdancer...It's a pleasure to meet you....are you thinking of signing on?"
Last edited by Gibberan on Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his son in the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through himJohn 3:16-17

RP Name the Ambrosian Confederal Republic, or Ambrose
(you can still call me Gibbs)

Proud Esquarian!
(but also consider Kylaris)
Kassaran wrote:NSG, the one place where your opinion is the wrong one if it aint liberal enough for them... unless you're me, I'm well known for generally just despising human rights and the whole idea of entitlement.
Timothia wrote:My bad, I should have known better than to challenge the unchanging hive-mind of NSG. Won't happen again any time soon.

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:00 am

Will was always a gentleman. Him and the Orion; it promised to be entertaining if things went the way Arelle was expecting. She smiled cheerfully enough at Maras and fought back the urge to speak her mind. There was considerable effort involved; she didn't usually come with a filter. It didn't take a genius to figure out why she was generally behind a screen or tangled up in wires. The same lack of experience, though, meant she missed the lingering of Maras' eyes on her own good self.

She pulled out her PADD and began reading where she'd left off, trying to keep her mind from wandering. A distraction to focus herself seemed counterproductive to most, but she knew what she was: a study in contrasts.
Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart. -Khalil Gibran
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
I wear teal, blue, pink, and red for Swith.
mumblemumblemumble

Jelarais
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Jelarais » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:46 pm

Maras held a hand to her chest to her chest and feigned an expression of feigned shock when Nathan proclaimed that she wasn't normally so generous, her mouth falling open and her brow furrowing. "Nathan, you wound me. I am a very generous individual--why, I stopped my Klingon friend from gutting you with his Bat'leth all those years ago," she pointed out, as if preventing someone from gutting another person was something inherently praiseworthy. "As for what happened, a business associate of mine has brought my continued existence among the living to the attention of a group of people that would prefer it if that was no longer the case," she said disinterestedly, as if she were merely commenting on the weather.

It was directly after this that her attention shifted to the funny little pilot who seemed to be doing his best to form a coherent sentence without grinning like a complete idiot. She gave the helmsman a sultry smile and reached across the table to run her fingertips lightly across his jaw, saying, "See, Nathan? Mr. Parmenter knows how to treat a lady. No suspicion of my motives, just a genuine interest in whether I want to join your little family or not." She ignored his hand completely as she pulled her hand back and gave him one last smile before turning back to the main focus of her attention.

"But, I don't think you quite understand the position you are in, so allow me to be perfectly clear," Maras said suddenly, all hints of playfulness gone from her voice as she snapped her fingers and suddenly two blasters were pointed at the three seated across from her. "You are going to take me on as your first officer, and I am going to make you very, very wealthy in an extremely short amount of time. Otherwise, I am going to have my friends here reduce you and your compatriots to so many particulates, and I will instead find another way of escaping this group's attention," she mandated as she pulled out the disruptor pistol strapped to her thigh and pointed it at the transport captain's head, a look of deadly seriousness on her face. What most people forgot about Maras was that despite her inherently playful nature and lack of seriousness when dealing with anyone she found remotely attractive, she was a ruthless criminal and a very determined individual who always got what she wanted.

"Now, shall I have my men deliver that Neutronium, or send a few holo messages to some families... if you have any somewhere in the cosmos, that is," she asked.
-Benjamin Franklin

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:44 pm

Gritting his jaw, he wondered if a quick death would be preferable over having her on board his ship. Funny part, maybe even ironic, was the missives to his family bit. There was no one now, not since... Doesn't matter, what mattered was that she was strong arming him to doing things her way. That was going to change very soon, because he'd be damned if she was going to be anyone's first officer, the least being his.

The disruptoer didn't phase him, but his anger was rising and he needed to leave soon or he'd make things bad to worse. Not losing eye contact with Maras, Nathan got up from his seat, thumping Will at the shoulder to get it together and catching Arelle's attention at the same time even if she had long since been disinterested in the little meeting of theirs. "Well, we certainly wouldn't want to ruin the aesthetics of this fine establishment. Have your flunkies bring the goods to cargo room 2."

Cargo room 2 meant that 'Dancer was going to take a very detailed scan to verify its contents and only his code would release the doors once shut. Arelle had seen to that when she pointed out a few security issues that had slipped by the previous programmer. Short of blasting a large hole through 'Dancer's hull, it was the best the ship had to a cargo hold, quarantine and brig all in one. "I should think you know where 'Dancer's at so we'll be expecting you. We leave in two hours."

Without another word, he walked off, pushing past her goons and headed straight for 'Dancer.

On the bright side, you have a job, Nathan could hear like a faint whisper.

Two Hours Later

Maras had been a few minutes early and her men had made the most of the time to transfer the cargo into the designated room. Her flunkies promptly left and 'Dancer had shut its doors as quickly as they had entered. What's her little fucks doing on board? I thought we got rid of that green hussy? It asked out loud to him during observing their shipment transfer. He kept silent, refusing to answer the near-sentient computer and 'Dancer didn't protest being ignored. Once shut, 'Dancer was running scans of it to verify its contents and he requested everyone to the dining room on deck 1. There was a large window looking out into the stars, it used to be just another boring wall until he had it cut down two months after she was first launched. It proved to be a good decision; didn't compromise the hull and many conversations, heated arguments, sleepless nights and memorable dinners happened here. Nathan could almost remember a few of those instances like apparitions taking form, its echoes haunting.

Now, he was standing at the end of the table with his arms crossed and seated were two familiars, two strangers and one he really wished he could shoot right now and save them all the trouble. Maras had supplied the coordinates to a station about twelve light years out which meant a good five day journey at warp 5, 'Dancer's cruising speed. She was sufficiently fueled and at the maintained speed, 'Dancer wouldn't be compromising her systems to get them there. What she really needed was an overhaul and refit, but truth be told Nathan was hoping Azara could work her magic to avoid such a drastic measure (especially since he couldn't afford it).

He was never good at introducing himself, or making himself homely, welcoming and warm. That's what he relied the others on. Without preamble he started, "We're going to be a few days before we hit Sharmekor; not sure if you guys heard of it, but those that have know its has its moments like Rahm Izad, so it's not anything new. What is new, however," he barely gestured discourteously with his chin toward Maras, "is who is offering the job. Everyone, this is Maras. She's our employer for the duration of this delivery and it could hold likely that she'll be with us for a little while after.

"That said, while we're in transit we're going to fix this ship up as best we can. I suggest you guys take that time to get to know one another, this ship can't run on independent actions and I certainly won't have any of it. And I can't think of a better way than to pair each of you up. Switch around if you like, just work together. Azara, Arelle, you two work together to get the engines and the internal systems back to nominal." He looked at Azara and explained (sort of), "not that 'Dancer is in bad shape it's just we've been a three-man crew and there's only so much we managed to um.. fix."

He cleared his throat at that and turned his head to the Hirogen, "Sectator and Will: the weapons, shields, secondary systems (what's left of it), and deflector control - coordinate with Arelle and Azara so you guys don't step over one another. Sirco," he turned his attention to the Bajoran, "you have the sickbay - if you can call it that - but its all yours to handle. Admittedly ain't much in there, but once that's done feel free to lend a hand - that's not a choice either. And Maras, my dear dear friend," Nathan smiled unpleasantly to the woman who (to his irritation) sat closest to him, "you're with me wherever I go on this ship."

"Oh," Nathan said almost as an afterthought and cursed himself that he probably should have said this sooner. "Food's ready in a couple of hours. Dinner. I'm cooking."

'Dancer actually groaned out loud.

He smirked at the response and nodded to his new-ish crew, "Let's get to work. Oh, Maras," Nathan barely looked at the Orion, "a moment with you if you don't mind."
Last edited by Mincaldenteans on Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:08 pm

"Slow down, son. You need your shot first."

Sirco was a trifle paranoid from all his years under occupation. He was also xenophobic. Combine that with medical knowledge, and he had a case full of preventative measures. Such as the orange mixture in his hand. Which he walked over and jabbed in Nathans arm.

"I wasn't planning on bringing this stuff. Good thing I did, though. It's from a geneticist buddy of mine. Orion pheromone neutralizer. One good injection, and those green Jezebels can't work those crazy pheromones on your brain for an entire week. Fun stuff."

He walked around the room, giving all the males a good immunization. With that done, he gestured his cane at Maras.

"I've got my eyes and good ear watching you, missy. Try anything funny and I'll see what happens when I inject you with it."

He straightened his coat and hobbled off for the sickbay.
Last edited by Ameriganastan on Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse