NATION

PASSWORD

Issue #297 (Intersex Athletes)

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Merfurian
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 25, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Issue #297 (Intersex Athletes)

Postby Merfurian » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:22 pm

I've been presented with Issue #297 (the one about the transgender athlete). What are the results of each of the various options, because I think Options 1 and 5 are somewhat similar, but only slightly - someone help!
Issued from the Desk of the Very Honourable and Most Loyal Doctor Jonas K. Lazareedes LLD PC FJSCU FPC, FPAC(CI)ACCA Presidential Counsel
Former Justice of the Supreme Court of the Union, Former President of Appeals Chamber I of an Autonomous Court of Appeal, Most Loyal Counsellor and Advisor to the President of the Federal Republic (Member of the Federal Privy Council) Ambassador to the World Assembly
NOTE: I am gay, and I have asperger syndrome. My social skills are rubbish.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:58 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:If <foo> is mentioned repeatedly in the issue description and options, chances are that <foo> will be affected. Whether it goes up, down, or sideways can best be determined by reading and analyzing the text, making a choice, and coming back the next day to see what happened.

This is true for all issues and all options. We really don't need a hundred threads like this.

Wiewawoe
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Wiewawoe » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:49 am

I have a specific question about this issue: the bald tattooed guy in option 4 talks about banishing people "unlike me and my friends" from Wiewawoe. Does he mean only people who are physically intersex, or any genderqueer people, or also gays/bis/lesbians/pansexuals, OR does he mean that everyone should be bald and tattooed?

Wiewawoe is a country that is extremely old-fashioned. It has a huge prejudice against LGBTQ+, but it has the same attitude towards tattoos. If the tattooed guy is talking about banishing only intersex and maybe genderqueer people, Wiewawoe would agree. If it's about LGBT in general, meaning that people with a "non-traditional" sexuality are also included, Wiewawoe would probably not want to ban them: the country believes gays can still be "saved". If the guy means anyone with a different lifestyle than his own and his own lifestyle includes tattoos, then Wiewawoe would be horrified by option 4.

So what exactly does the tattooed guy mean? I really can't tell from what he says.

(Disclaimer: Admin does not by any means agree with Wiewawoe's "anything that's different is bad" attitude.)
Last edited by Wiewawoe on Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:29 pm

The effect line for that option is "hairdressers are among those who have disappeared overnight", which seems to be playing on the stereotype of hairdressers being homosexual men, therefore implying that yes, the option wants to opress all of LGBT, not just the T.

It seems weird to me, since that issue starts out being rather specifically about transsexuals (and actual physical hermaphrodites rather than people who just identify as different from their birth gender, at that), and it's not until option 3 that any link to homosexuality is even brought up, and even then only incidentally as "allies" rather than as anything the actual suggestion in that option is helping.

I actually agree with you that the game should have a way to tolerate LGB while drawing the line at T, or to support T while banning LGB (the latter is the current state of affairs in Iran). However, it appears that this issue isn't it.

Fonidia and Osteyon
Envoy

Founded: Mar 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fonidia and Osteyon » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:38 pm

Wiewawoe wrote:I have a specific question about this issue: the bald tattooed guy in option 4 talks about banishing people "unlike me and my friends" from Wiewawoe. Does he mean only people who are physically intersex, or any genderqueer people, or also gays/bis/lesbians/pansexuals, OR does he mean that everyone should be bald and tattooed?

Wiewawoe is a country that is extremely old-fashioned. It has a huge prejudice against LGBTQ+, but it has the same attitude towards tattoos. If the tattooed guy is talking about banishing only intersex and maybe genderqueer people, Wiewawoe would agree. If it's about LGBT in general, meaning that people with a "non-traditional" sexuality are also included, Wiewawoe would probably not want to ban them: the country believes gays can still be "saved". If the guy means anyone with a different lifestyle than his own and his own lifestyle includes tattoos, then Wiewawoe would be horrified by option 4.

So what exactly does the tattooed guy mean? I really can't tell from what he says.

(Disclaimer: Admin does not by any means agree with Wiewawoe's "anything that's different is bad" attitude.)

I'm no expert, but I can tell you that if you just really don't want to break your country's character, you should simply dismiss the issue. There are no bad consequences. It'll simply be as if you hadn't received it. Of course, playing with them is fun, but if you think that'd harm your roleplay, you should just skip it.
Last edited by Fonidia and Osteyon on Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The demonym of my country is Ostidian.
My country can be referred to as Fonidia and Osteyon or F&O. Fonidia, Osteyon, "Ostidia", the Union or the Great Union are also acceptable terms.
Full name: The Great Union of Fonidia and Osteyon. RP population: ~74 million. Most of the time, this nation reflects my political and social views
Male, 19 years old, Mexican with Italian heritage, Catholic, centrist, heterosexual. I'm also known as 'szmty'.
Football (soccer), drawing, rock music, video games (top 3: Pokémon, FIFA, GTA). I watch a little anime too (NGE is my favourite).
SJWs, In-your-face bronies, racists, homophobia, anti-theism and anti-religious people, any other stereotype related to neckbeards/fedoras

Return to Got Issues?