NATION

PASSWORD

VII Olympic Winter Games — RP thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Liventia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 04, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Liventia » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:43 pm

Shofercia's RP below will count for Day 18.

Day 17 results, including the snowball fighting finals, are now up.
Last edited by Liventia on Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Слава Україні!

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008

Postby Shofercia » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:49 pm

Sveta Uzharova, Yulia Danilkina and Joyce Garret were seated in a circle in anticipation of their race.

"Remember girls," Sveta said, "nothing else exists on the ice, except the baton, your skates and the ice itself. Once you have the baton, focus on your skates, and go, go go! And we're up!"

Sveta started off first. A swift push, several strong steps, and she was racing on the ice. She was about to look back, but just as she titled her head, ever so slightly, she realized that her mistake cost her a few centi-seconds, and those counted. Sveta sighed, and continued to rush towards Yulia. She liked Yulia's figure, very slender, tall and ready to skate. Great for a skater, if only Yulia's legs had as much muscles as Sveta's. She passed the baton and Yulia was off. Sveta watched in anticipation. This was the qualifying round where every second mattered. She smiled as Yulia passed the baton to Joyce. And Garret was off. She was good. Nah, belay that - she was excellent. Joyce quickly crossed the finishline. Sveta smiled. They came in under a half second after 3:02, and that meant that they qualified. Next race!

Again Sveta started off strong, and made a great pass to Yulia. But Yulia almost tripped, and was overtaken by the competition. Yulia added to her speed, giving out all she could. It was beautiful to watch. "Come on, come on!" Sveta stated. Watching was always worse than performing. When you're skating, you have control. When you're watching, all you can do is give your energy to your teammate, and hope that your teammate will use that energy wisely.

Yulia, who had amazing reach, used her height to pass the baton to Joyce, who quickly took off. Joyce was going neck in neck with Melissa Jacobsen; the duo could feel each others' breath. Joyce accelerated, and won by a hair.

And again they were about to start. Against Liventia. Why did they get to go against the hosts? This wouldn't be the first time that Shofercia and Liventia faced off. Sveta accelerated, giving it all she got. "Left foot, right foot, left foot, right foot" her mind thought. She gently touched the smooth ice, and used her calf muscles for the push, accelerating herself with the thigh muscles, using her hands to keep her balance. She smoked the competition and passed the baton. Now Yulia was off. There was no mistake this time, and Shofercia was well ahead when Joyce got the baton. But then Joyce looked back, and lost a second. "Grrrr!" Sveta growled. Now Liventia had a chance. Fortunately that was not to be, as Joyce accelerated. Shofercia qualified for the final!

Sveta smiled. Joyce skated up to Sveta and Yulia and said "sorry about that, I won't look back again."
"And I'll try not to slip," Yulia added.
"It's ok girls," Sveta said. "But make those mistakes in the finals, and I'll kill you", she added half-jocularly. "Now let's go check out our Bandy Team Results!"

"Wow, 6-1 against Liventia! The fans in Neverend are just going to love us for that!"
"Damn, our girls of Bandy are absolutely badasses. They didn't even let anyone come close, well except for those close games, of course!"
"May we take our Golden Inspiration from Bandy" concluded Joyce, and the trio performed a *knock on wood*
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:33 pm

Day 17: Nothing for Qazoxian athletes today.
Wikipage/Qazox National Football Team
Qualified for World Cups 31, 33, 35-50, 54-59, 61, 62. Runners-up: CoH 52
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Vulshain
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vulshain » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:49 am

Vulshainian Olympic News Coverage: Winter Olympic Games VII

Athletes Vow to Win More Medals

Hello everyone, this is Yermolai Vadimaron for Vulshainian Confederate News and Media Network (VCNMN)'s Winter Olympic Games VII Coverage, live from Neverend, Liventia.

Today, Vulshain will be competing in the Freestyle skiing-ski cross event for both men and women. With only a few events left, the athletes are gearing up big time to earn a gold medal in addition to more medals. So far, Vulshain has earned four medals: three silvers and one bronze.

Jochen Ernst is expected to do very well in the Men's Freestyle ski cross. Jochen Ernst's family moved from Wales to Vulshain when he was three years old. "I may not have been born in Vulshain, but I love the country. I hope to make Vulshain very proud of me."

The Reinhilde sisters, Rebekka and Alania, are also expected to do well in the Women's Freestyle ski cross. Both sisters have trained very hard. Alania already won a silver medal in the Women's Freestyle Skiing moguls in these Games. "We expect to do our best in this event," Rebekka told VCNMN.

In other news, there is still worry over the breakup of Coline Konstancja and Erik Rainard. "We're just giving each other space for the time being. We are both stressed out over these Games, and well, we need time to think things through that's all," Erik Rainard told reporters. Coline was too busy training to be asked questions. It is hoped that the two will get back together.

Tune in to VCNMN to see what happens!

This has been Yermolai Vadimaron for Vulshainian Confederate News and Media Network (VCNMN)'s Winter Olympic Games VII Coverage, reporting live from Neverend, Liventia.

Stachland
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 12, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Stachland » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:37 pm

Women's Team Pursuit Earns Bronze
by Witold Elliott

They had fallen short in the semifinals. By just over six-tenths of a second, the women from the nation of Akbarabad managed to edge out Violetta Berent, Eliza Dawn, and Ania Fleetwood for the coveted spot in the gold medal fixture.

Minutes later, the trio from Polar Islandstates—Roberta Valeev, Agnete Biolek, and Gail Skog—blew past not only their opponents from Shofercia, who were disqualified and relegated to the bronze medal race against the Stachlanders, but the Olympic record as well, set during the last Winter Olympics in Ashton, Krytenia.

And so it was Akbarabad and Polar Islandstates for the gold, and Stachland and Shofercia for the bronze. The third-place race was the first to be run, and all six women performed admirably, and the competition was fierce to the bitter end, but the Stachlanders managed to prevail, by twelve-hundredths of a second, over the Shofercians. Later, the Polar Islandstates team won handily against Akbarabad, earning them the gold and the Akbarabad team the silver.

With this medal, Stachland now has one silver and one bronze medal at these Winter Olympics, both in speed skating, and looks to earn more in the days to come.
POLITICAL COMPASS
Economic: -9.12 | Social: -8.41

ROLEPLAY STATISTICS
Population: 86 million | Modern Technology
One Gold, five Silver, and four Bronze medals at the First Water World Championships.
Group runners-up and Round of 8 at Cup of Harmony 47.
Currently hosting the World Air Hockey Championships.

BronyTale

Todd McCloud
Senator

Founded: Oct 11, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Todd McCloud » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:54 pm

Vekaiyu 'Distracted' During Winter Games
Reporting for V3 News Services, Rin Slakori

NEVEREND - The typical flair so common among Vekaiyuns with respect to their own countrymen competing has been noticeably dampened during the Seventh Winter Olympics in Liventia. Perhaps it's due to it being the Winter Games and not the Summer Games. Perhaps it's the high flight costs journeying to the inter-regional competition. Or maybe it could be the East Pacific realm is just far too interesting this time of the year.

More than likely, however, it appears to be the current war with Listonia that is responsible for keeping Vekaiyuns close to home and glued to the evening news.

"Regardless of what the government is willing to report about, it's a holy war," V3 correspondent Victor Umalayey informed. "When Vekaiyu was stripped of its eastern territories in the 16th century, many viewed it as an abomination. That opinion has changed little five hundred years later. Unification of Vekaiyu with Listonia has been almost essential in modern times. Former kings craved it, underground movements tried to set it into motion, and millions died to get it where we are today."

As the Vekaiyun divisions plunge deeper into what has become a confusing campaign, citizens feel compelled to stay updated on the war rather than any medals the nation has won.

"It's a disservice to put sport over a life and death situation," Imanov Lokaristre, 37, of Eldura said. "I can't bring myself to really watch the games when our sons and daughters are risking their lives to fight for Listonians."

"Do they watch television in Listonia?" Eleesia Yublistrove, 25, of Calesu, asked. "I'd rather hear we freed our fellow neighbors instead of any medal our athletes have won."

Convinced the war is a liberation, many Vekaiyuns cite the atrocities committed by the Listonian dictator, Stapen Evesuni. The government has not shied away from this viewpoint, though it has officially declared its reason for moving in on the eastern neighbor was due to border provocations and missiles fired upon it's third largest city, Skendia.

The city still remains on high alert, as does other large Vekaiyun cities near the Listonian-Vekaiyun border.

"It's not really fair to the athletes if we ignore their achievements," Olympic Committee member Yves Lastivoski cautioned. "They trained all year for their events and need all the support Vekaiyu can muster. Our service men and women are doing their job as best they can. Listonians are doing their job with liberating their nation. Our job is not to panic. Rather, it's quite the opposite - to have confidence and assurance that the greater good will prevail. A good outlet for relaxation has always been the spirit of healthy competition in sporting events, something these Olympic games have always provided."

Until Vekaiyuns come to that realization, however, their presence may remain diminished. No longer is there a deafening chorus of cheers when the Vekaiyun National Anthem Eternal Vekaiyu is played during a medal ceremony. No more is there a 'sea of red' where the Vekaiyun citizens sit during compeititon, waving their flags in support of their countrymen.

Time will tell if the Vekaiyun citizen makes a comeback to these games.
"Your uniform doesn't seem to fit. You're much too alive in it."

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi
"The worst prison would be a closed heart." - Pope John Paul II

Liventia
Negotiator

Postby Liventia » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:11 pm

Day 18 results and a very important host announcement have been posted.

EDIT: The corrected results and medal table have been posted.
Last edited by Liventia on Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Слава Україні!

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:49 pm

Day 18: Short track events started for Qazox.

Men's 500m ShortTrack Qualifying: Guy Abler set a new Olympic record by becoming the first skater in history to skate a sub- 41 second heat. Jamie Zhu qualified in 4th, giving Qazox 2 skaters as top seeds in their heats.

1  Guy Abler (QZX)                         40.939  OR
4 Jamie Zhu (QZX) 41.157
79 Allan Haynes (QZX) 42.458

Women's 1500m ShortTrack Qualifying: For 10 minutes, Hillary Edenfield had a new Olympic record in the Women's 1500m ShortTrack, until Taylor Renshaw of Civil Citizenry edged out Edenfield's time by 0.033 seconds to claim the new record. Edenfield and Amie Barringer are both into the next round.

2  Hillary Edenfield (QZX)         2:17.499
13 Amie Barringer (QZX) 2:21.594
66 Rae Broxton (QZX) 2:44.276
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Ferkas
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ferkas » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:57 pm

Breaking News From Olympic Team

Doctor Accuses Ministry of Sport of Abusing Athletes

Published In: Coventry Times Online Edition, Chancellery Sport Magazine Online Edition

Dr. James Ellerton MD and Assistant Medical Director to the Ferkian Winter Olympic Team, has just come forward accusing the Ministry of Sport and the Ferkian National Winter Olympic Confederation of abusing the team members. Dr. Ellerton returned to the Chancellery Kingdom a few days ago, and states that he was sent home to accompany the return of an as of yet unnamed Olympic Team athlete. He claims that this athlete was sent home after suffering severe medical repercussions. Ellerton claims that the currently unknown medical condition has been present for some time, and that key Olympic Team members made the decision to risk the athletes health, and only allowed the athlete to receive treatment after their condition became grievously worse and competition had ended.

Currently Dr.Ellerton has not named any specific members of the Ferkian Olympic Confederation or the Ministry of Sport in his accusations. However, he has indicated that he is in contact with federal investigators and that he has contacted a lawyer. As of this moment neither the Ministry of Sport or the Ferkian National Winter Olympic Confederation have made any response.
Political Compass: -7.88 Economic, -4.41 Social

Vulshain
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Vulshain » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:46 am

Big Chance for Vulshain to Win More Medals; Athlete Promises to Win Medal for Sick Sister

Hello everyone, this is Yermolai Vadimaron for Vulshainian Confederate News and Media Network (VCNMN)'s Winter Olympic Games VII Coverage, live from Neverend, Liventia.

Today marks a huge chance for Vulshain's athletes to win several medals. Vulshain has already won a gold medal thanks to Józef Rafał and Evgeny Malthe who placed first in Men’s team sprint Cross-country skiing. Jochen Ernst had also won a silver in the Men’s ski cross Freestyle Skiing event. According to several sports experts, this is a huge success to the Vulshainian athletes' confidence. "We were greatly surprised by our success," Evgeny Malthe told VCNMN. "We were extremely proud of winning the gold, and I know all of our friends and family back home are proud of us too."

Today, Vulshain will be competing in the Men’s individual sprint Cross-country skiing semifinals and final and the Women’s individual sprint Cross-country skiing qualifying and quarterfinals, in addition to the Women's 500m Speed Skating event.

Zygfryd Stanisław qualified for the Men’s individual sprint Cross-country skiing event. "I'm going to do the best I can. This is my big chance to make everyone proud of me, including my little sister." Zygfryd's sister, Aya, is undergoing surgery to remove small brain tumor today. "I wanted to be with her, but she wanted me to come here and compete, so, I'm doing going to tear up those slopes for her! This is for you Aya!" Everyone is really supporting him and his sister today.

As the Women's 500m Speed Skating event, Serafima Leni is expected to blow right past the competition. She is one of Vulshain's fastest speed skaters, and many are expecting her to win a medal today. Viviane Modeste and Floretta Frieda are also expected to do well in the Women’s individual sprint Cross-country skiing event. "We are going to do our very best out there today," Floretta told VCNMN.

So, in order to not miss any of the action today, tune in to VCNMN to see what happens!

This has been Yermolai Vadimaron for Vulshainian Confederate News and Media Network (VCNMN)'s Winter Olympic Games VII Coverage, reporting live from Neverend, Liventia.

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Founded: Oct 19, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:15 pm

The village, somewhere; the shadow of an unfamiliar flag, and two slouching figures. Perhaps one in a dark, or blank, uniform, and one just in a winter coat, enjoying the city. Young, probably, at least the first one, eyes focused but too distracted to be really earnest. The other perhaps older, perhaps not, stepping a pace backwards, arms crossed.

It doesn't particularly matter.

"Just, hypothetically, would you ever throw a race?"

And sudden, numerous blinks. "Throw it how? You mean, lose, on purpose?"

Hands quickly flipping outwards, in surprise. "I mean, hypothetically, right?"

"Depends on what's in it for me, I guess."

Head tilting to the side, sizing up. "Uh-huh."

"For money, I mean...look, I can't take this seriously. I'm in the Olympics! Who would...who would want to bet on me, to throw a race?" The kind of half-shrug that starts low in the chest. "No one in Zwangzug is betting on sports, you know that."

"Yeah but I mean just..."

"Foreigners you mean? Wait a minute. I'm not even, like, I'm not a big deal in this at all, it's not like people have heard of me and would be betting on it."

"Okay. Sorry. I'm not, I'm not trying to insult you or anything. I'm just, there's been, you know, people talk?"

"About me? No, what, I don't know, tell me."

"Not about you! Just...if it wasn't for money, what would make you consider it?"

"I don't...wait a minute, no. This is the Olympics and I--none of us play hockey, right? It's not like you can say to the forwards or whatever "okay, don't shoot," it's like, I'm not--there's too many of us. In the race. Most of us can't affect it at all. And of course I go out there trying to win--"

"Of course--"

"But realistically, if I'm not going to? Because most of us aren't. If you were, if you were trying to fix a race, you'd want to go to the top few people, whoever they are. And talk to them."

A long, slow, nod.

"Unless...I've completely cracked and wound up in one of those contrived hypothetical situations where there are two to the n checks in this box, but in the other, they're taking your spouse hostage. And that's dumb because I'm not even married, right. So...you tell me. Have I completely lost it?"

Quick, reflexive, head shake. "No!"

"Okay. That's good. And are you currently betting on my race?"

"No!"

"Okay. Then I should probably leave."

"Are you--"

"Just let's not go down this road."
Factbook
IRC humor, (self-referential)
My issues
...using the lens of athletics to illustrate national culture, provide humor, interweave international affairs, and even incorporate mathematical theory...
WARNING: by construing meaning from this sequence of symbols, you have given implicit consent to the theory that words have noncircular semantic value and can be used to encode information about an external universe. Proceed with caution.

Civil Citizenry
Minister

Founded: Dec 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Civil Citizenry » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:59 pm

Twelve years. That's how long the Arridian team of Son, Thomson, and al-Shehri held the Olympic record in the men's speed skating team pursuit event.

One run. That's the number of runs the Thatian team of Borek, Latkowski, and Nestor needed to break that Olympic record in Neverend.

Thirty minutes. That's how long the Citiz team of Arledge, Beaman, and Bradburn needed to break the new Thatian record. It is strange to see the Olympic record change hands so quickly, but those who went to the Neverend Curling Club two nights ago were in for a speed-skating-filled treat: one after another, the record was upended, setting off quite a commotion in the Curling Club.

Speed-skating analysts may have been surprised that after setting the new new record, the Citiz squad won their quarterfinal heat with the sixth-worst time out of seven finishers. But since there's no such thing as a speed-skating analyst - at least, one that ventures out of his parents' basement - no one really cared. The fact of the matter was, a semifinal berth was secured, and thus quite nearly a medal.

One day later, with Citiz fans gushing over the Citiz' 2-1 victory over Camwood in women's ice hockey - earning them a berth in the gold medal match versus unknown Iglesian Archipelago - the nation reconvened via television for more speed skating. Anxious for the pursuit team to enter the stadium, they were pleased when a Citiz set another Olympic record: Taylor Renshaw, the much-heralded short track skater, broke Olivia Flanagan's two-decade-old Olympic record in the 1500 meter qualifying. It seemed like a good omen for the speed skating delegation, which had already picked up a gold in the women's short track 3000 meter relay.

The semifinal match with Polar Islandstates' team was a doozy. Both squads, though a full two seconds behind the Olympic record set the previous night by the Citiz, raced at a fast pace from start to finish. As they crossed the line in tandem, a photo finish was called by announcer Keaton Drake; eventually, it was determined the Citiz had squeaked by, by a margin of 0.12 seconds. Another chance at a gold.

Even faster was the gold medal match with the representatives of Capitalizt SLANI. Wesley Bradburn, running the final leg, sprinted around the final lap to catch up to Atílio Basurto, who seemed to have enough of a lead to secure the gold. Bradburn's skate managed to vault ahead of his opponent's, and by nearly three-tenths of a second the Citiz had captured the top prize.

In the last few days, the Citiz delegation - once seemingly condemned to a single gold and bronze, a slight improvement over the nation's performance in Ashton - has vaulted itself to seventh in the medal table, with four golds and two bronzes. One of those bronzes was a surprise: no one had ever paid attention to Nordic combined, but Sherrod Brand glued TV watchers to ESCN-O as he managed to eke out third place in the men’s individual large hill competition. Brand fell into tears after finishing the course, knowing he had done something special. The surprising recent success of the Citiz has been quite special, indeed.
The Independent Conglomerate of Civil Citizenry
Demonym: Citiz || Population: 36,000,000 || Trigramme: CVC || Located: Rushmore || Information: Wikipage · Sports Newswire · Bartewick News Service
"Worst Tweet of the election season:
'Because of the hurricane, I am extending my 5 million dollar offer for President Obama's favorite charity until 12PM on Thursday.' - Donald Trump"

Liventia
Negotiator

Postby Liventia » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:25 pm

Day 19 results.

We are now approaching the tail end of the Olympics. 71 of the 89 events have now been completed. The upcoming schedule is as follows:
Monday: no scorination
Tuesday: Day 20
Wednesday: Day 21
Thursday: Day 22 (including hockey finals)
Friday: Day 23 / closing ceremony
Last edited by Liventia on Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Слава Україні!

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:31 pm

Day 18: Short track events continue and SpeedSkating starts as Qazox looks to increase medal haul.

Men's 500m ShortTrack Heats: Jamie Zhu broke Guy Abler's Olympic record in his heat, and Abler won his heat. But the record was shortlived as Ocean Suzgar lowered the record to 40.777 seconds in his heat.

1 Jamie Zhu (QZX)                 40.934  Q Heat 3
1 Guy Abler (QZX) 41.763 Q Heat 4

Men's ShortTrack Quarterfinals: Guy Abler's run came to a halt in the quarterfinals; while Zhu was bumped by Leamelueus Falarina, who was rightfully DQ'd; but Zhu wasn't advanced as the referees determined that the bump wasn't serious enough to have warrented advancement.
4 Guy Abler (QZX)              41.690 Qtr 2 DNA
3 Jamie Zhu (QZX) 42.507 Qtr 4 DNA

Men's ShortTrack 1500m qualification: Zhu's day wasn't done, as he qualified for the next round in the men's 1500m as did Darren Jo.
15 Jamie Zhu (QZX)                   2:14.030
30 Darren Jo (QZX) 2:15.617
63 Fernando Bermen (QZX) 2:18.606--DNA

Women's 1500m ShortTrack Heats: Hillary Edenfield was Disqualified for cutting a corner short on the final lap in her heat. At the time, She had about a 4 length lead and would have qualified easily. Amie Barringer got shuffled to the back early and couldn't recover.

— Hillary Edenfield (QZX)             DSQ Heat 1
6 Amie Barringer (QZX) 2:29.726 Heat 6

Women's 500m Speedskating: None of Qazox 4 women in the 500m was in serious contention; as they are saving themselves for the longer races.
31  Alana Repine (QZX)                       38.95   38.69   1:17.63
32 Earnestine Ennals (QZX) 38.85 38.81 1:17.67
67 Maricela Beacham (QZX) 39.12 39.43 1:18.54
88t Darcy Weatherholtz (QZX) 39.73 39.40 1:19.12
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Ferkas
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ferkas » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:11 am

Investigation Launched Into Olympic Team Violations

Claims of Widespread Athlete Abuse

Use of Blackmail and Threats Against Team Members

Published In: Coventry Times Pages 1A, 3A, 17A, 1-4D; Chancellery Sport Magazine Page 1A-3A; Coventry Times Online Edition, Chancellery Sport Magazine Online Edition

New information and accusation have come forth against the Ministry of Sport and the Ferkian National Winter Olympic Confederation, prompting the Ministry of Justice to launch a full investigation into the teams organization and practices. Dr. James Ellerton MD and Assistant Medical Director to the Ferkian Winter Olympic Team, first brought forth a series of accusations upon his early return from Liventia. Dr. Ellerton has claimed that key members of the Olympic Confederation and the Ministry of Sport were actively involved in creating an atmosphere which was dangerously hostile towards athletes and other team members. Dr. Ellerton has also accused key members of the two groups of having knowingly violated health laws, forcing athletes to continue competing when they were in need of immediate medical attention. At the time of his first accusations he provided little in the way of details, but since that time more information has come forth.

Although the Ministry of Justice has been tight lipped about discussing who has presented additional accusations, it is known that several members of the Olympic team have given sworn statements to Ministry of Justice officials. Most athletes have asked to be kept anonymous at this time, in order to avoid reprisal punishments from their coaches or managers. Dr. Ellerton himself has not been able to discuss details of his accusation with the press, citing a patient-doctor privilege, however the Ministry of Justice has discussed the matter with Dr. Ellerton, and it is believed that he has given sworn statements regarding anything that he may have seen.

It is currently unclear how all of this may effect the remaining days of the Olympics. If sufficient evidence comes forth then it is very likely that the Ministry of Justice will issue Writs of Seizure and Arrest. If the Olympic Team is still in Liventia at the time then the Ministry of Justice may request the support of Liventian officials in the detainment of any charged persons. Even if no charges do come forth it is possible that suspicion and accusation may hamper the athletic performances over the remaining days, although analysts seem to believe that the best of the Ferkian medal haul is already long behind us.

Vulshain
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Vulshain » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:41 am

Vulshainians Prepare for Another Chance to Score Medals

Today, Vulshain competes in the Women’s individual sprint Cross-country skiing finals, where Viviane Modeste is expected to do her best. "It's going to be tough, what with the competition being fierce, but I'll do my best out there."

Zygfryd Stanisław, while losing out in the Men’s individual sprint Cross-country skiing semifinals, was not thinking about his loss, but instead was very overjoyed that his sister, Aya came through her surgery safely. "I'm so happy," he said with tears in his eyes. Doctors were able to safely and completely remove a small brain tumor from Aya's brain. "It was a difficult procedure, but she came through," he told VCNMN. He hopes to see his sister soon. "I might not have won the event, but it was an honor to compete with such great skiiers from around the world. I want to congratulate all of the medalists. They were did a great job out there."

Today also marks a big chance for Vulshain to score several medals. Vulshain will be competing in three speed skating events: Men’s 500m, Men’s 5 km, and Women’s 1500m. Bora Watse Kaspar, Valery Mikhailo Nikolaus, and Aleksei Yulian Vyacheslav are expected to do extremely well in the Men's 500m, especially Bora. "Hey don't make fun of my name now! I was named after my great uncle Bora!" Bora is extremely sensistive about his name, and in fact, despite what many people think, Bora is a man's name. Bora is extremely talented speed skater.

Erdem Kuroro is preparing for the Men's 5km, and is expected to do his best. "It'll be tough, but I plan to give over 200% in this event."

Alexandrie Patrycja and Barbara Cathrin are both competing in the Women's 1500m, and while they were not available to be interviewed, they are expected to work hard out there today.

Thatius
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Thatius » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:12 pm

Life after the Olympics

Day Nineteen of the Winter Olympics in Neverend, Liventia ended slowly for Mark Siebeck. After qualifying for the Men's 500m in short track speed skating through the preliminaries, Mark competed in the heats, which eventually earned him a spot in the quarterfinals. Sadly he was unable to advance in his group, and placed in dismal third, just a few milliseconds behind second.

In just a few days Mark would be traveling back to Thatius with the Thatian Olympic Delegation right after the Closing Ceremony. The days would go by slowly as he anticipated his flight back home, seeing as all of his events were over. Even though many of his good friends in speed skating still had events, he still didn't have anything else to do but spectate. Perhaps he could explore more of what Liventia has to offer or perhaps he would just sleep in.

But once he gets back home in Thatius, he'll have a tough decision. Attend the university or continue training and become a true professional in short track speed skating? His parents had pushed him to go to the university while many of the coaches and trainers back home said he should start his career as a speed skater. After all, he did set an Olympic Record in the Men's 5000m relay short track speed skating event along with a few others. But would he earn a lot of money through this career? Probably not; perhaps only fame.

If he decided to pursue a professional career, he would be training for the next ten to fifteen years of his life, and then after that he was done. Of course he would have his chances to qualify for the Thatian team for many future Winter Olympics, but after that, his career would be over.

Meanwhile, if he decided to attend the university, Mark could try several different things. He'll attend somewhere that allows for speed skaters to train, but also will learn and eventually get a degree in something he is passionate in. Right now, he's thinking about Biological or Medical Engineering. A tough field that pays very well. Other plans include join a fraternity and become a prominent leader on campus. After all, his name is already widely-known throughout Thatius, even at the age of 18. He could join ΔΨΩ, his father's former fraternity, and serve as chapter president. Then run for the student government president. After all, Mark is really ambitious.

Overall, Mark Siebeck has an interesting decision ahead of him. Pursue a career in speed skating or attend the university and make it a side thing? If he attends the university, he might not have enough time to practice, and potentially will not make the Olympic delegation in the future. Of course, he's guaranteed a spot in next year's delegation after such a stellar performance here in Neverend, but after that, the future is uncertain. Whatever his decision, Mark knows that he has already accomplished a lot by just making the Thatian Olympic Team and setting an Olympic Record. Most athletes do not have the chance to even participate in such a prestigious event after many years experience, but at 18, Mark experienced something they can only dream of. In the end, he'll make the right decision.

Liventia
Negotiator

Postby Liventia » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:14 pm

Ferkian athletes offered asylum over Olympic mistreatment
EXCLUSIVE

Neverend, LIVENTIA— The Ministry of the Interior today confirmed it has extended an offer of protected asylum to all Ferkian Olympic athletes still in the country after news broke of a scandal involving their mistreatment.

It said in a statement that the move was taken after "protracted discussions" with the Ministry of Justice and the Agency for Border Control and Immigration. A person with 'protected asylum' status in Liventia is entitled to live and work in Liventia until such time they are able to return to their homeland, and in cases where that is not possible, they must apply for Liventian citizenship after seven years.

The ministry said it was expecting "less than ten" athletes to take up the offer, and added: "It is the belief of the Ministry of the Interior that due to other pressures beyond our control exerted from within and without Ferkas, a large number of athletes will either decline the offer or not even acknowledge receipt of our letter."

The news comes as high-ranking officials at the foreign affairs and justice ministries announced their "full co-operation" with their Ferkian counterparts after suggestions that Ferkas' Ministry of Justice will seek to detain key suspects who may still be in Liventia.

At a joint news conference, Foreign Minister James McNulty and Justice Minister Peter O'Callaghan said Liventian authorities were looking into whether any of the allegations made by Dr James Ellerton of offences committed by Ferkian Olympic officials may constitute crimes under Liventian law, which would allow Neverend police to arrest any suspects without a prior request from the Ferkian government.

Mr O'Callaghan also confirmed that in such a situation, the accused would be returned to Ferkas for judicial proceedings in that country before being re-extradited to Liventia to face Liventian courts.
Слава Україні!

Civil Citizenry
Minister

Founded: Dec 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Civil Citizenry » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:10 pm

NEVEREND WINTER OLYMPICS: THE VIDEO GAME

Pull off gnarly snowboarding trick moves like Matthew Westerby!

Skate with more elegance than champion bear Myrra o Dusk!

Simulate Denis Heijman's epic flop off the ski jump hill!

"Hey Brooke, it's you! I just beat you in the 500 meter speed skating event! Haha!"

"You've been playing that one event for hours, that's no surprise."

"That's not true! I took a break for some bandy. I beat Darmen 18-1."

"What the hell kinda game did you get? Video games these days are so unrealistic."

"Funny thing about that..."

"And you didn't even do snowball fighting?"

"It's not licensed for this game. Apparently the COA forgot to approve the form."

"Let me get a crack at this game. What's a quick event I can try?"

"Winter pentathlon."

"How about one with an easy learning curve?"

"Freestyle skiing."

"Is that even a sport?"

"You're so picky. Why don't we try a game of ice hockey?"

"Okay, but I shot Civil Citizenry."

"We're playing hockey, not biathlon. Dumbass."

"Look, we've gotta start preparing for tonight's events soon. Let's try bobsled, I love watching that."

"Okay, but be warned: they rigged this game so that Qazox wins every time."

"I'll be Qazox, you can be someone good like Zwangzug."

"Yes, I won! You luge! Hahaha!"

"Fuck, I crashed... just like you in the short track 1500 meter final, Taylor!"

"That's mean! I'm curling my mom on the phone to tell her you're a meanie."

"You should know there's snowboarding passes available right now in Neverend, otherwise you'd be on the first flight back home to Athenstoft!"

"I'm making a long distance call, like really long, like... cross-country skiing!"

"You killed it."

"I told you, we're not playing biathlon!"
The Independent Conglomerate of Civil Citizenry
Demonym: Citiz || Population: 36,000,000 || Trigramme: CVC || Located: Rushmore || Information: Wikipage · Sports Newswire · Bartewick News Service
"Worst Tweet of the election season:
'Because of the hurricane, I am extending my 5 million dollar offer for President Obama's favorite charity until 12PM on Thursday.' - Donald Trump"

Taeshan
Senator

Founded: Aug 11, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Taeshan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:36 pm

"so where are we getting these medals sir."

"Cross Country Skiing."

"Really, Really."

"Yes, one of our first winter medals was in cross country skiing."

"Yes, but its cross country..."

"I know, sadly enough. But what can we do, the skiers are hot and raring to get medals."

"Oy, what happened in snowboard that this occurred."

"Shut it."

"I'm ashamed."

"Yeah well, medals is medals. No matter where they come from."

"Still, cross country. Ew."
Champions - Copa Rushmori 22, Cup of Harmony 35, Di Bradini Cup 19, World Baseball Classic 13, Gridiron World Championships (World Bowl 0), World Bowl 34, World Lacrosse Championship 2

World Cup Qualifications-41, 44, 46, 59, 61(RoS), 62(Quarterfinals), 63 (RoS), 64 (Quarterfinals), 83, 84 (RoS), 85, 87

Hosts-Cup of Harmony 55, Copa Rushmori 14, Sporting World Cup 10,
Quidditch World Cup 10, World Cup of Hockey 41, World Cup 87

Liventia
Negotiator

Postby Liventia » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:38 pm

Last edited by Liventia on Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Слава Україні!

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:37 pm

Day 20: Speed Skating and more Speed Skating-

Men's 1000m ShortTrack qualifying: Clinto Gayman, Qazox' best chance at a medal in the 1000m was disqualified for an illegal skate modification after his qualifying heat. Interestingly enough, almost two-thirds of the field broke the old Olympic Record.

81 Darren Jo (QZX)                        1:32.599
82 Fernando Berman (QZX) 1:39.997
— Clinto Gayman (QZX) DSQ

Men's ShortTrack 1500m heats: Zhu set a new Olympic record in his 1500m heat, but Darren Jo didn't advance.
5 Darren Jo (QZX)                   2:17.958 heat 2 DNA
1 Jamie Zhu (QZX) 2:11.576 Q OR

Men's ShortTrack 1500m Semis-Zhu won his semifinal heat, becoming the first Qazoxian skater to reach a final at these games.
1 Jamie Zhu (QZX)                   2:13.241 SF1 F

Men's ShortTrack 1500m Final- Zhu's record was broken by Krytenia's Adam Goddard int he final, but Zhu did manage to edge out
S Jamie Zhu (QZX)                   2:12.908

Women's 500m ShortTrack Qualifying: Rae Broxton was the only lady to advance to the 500m heats.

10 Rae Broxton (QZX)               43.726
35 Clare Boyland (QZX) 44.269-DNA
36 Sharron Nordquist (QZX) 44.294-DNA

Women's 1000m ShortTrack Qualifying: Noone advanced in the one event that Qazox expected to fail in.

46 Sharron Nordquist (QZX)        1:32.411
66 Amie Barringer (QZX) 1:35.269
— Clare Boyland (QZX) DSQ

Men's 500m Speedskating: Jessie Puglisi, Qazox' best chance at a medal in the 500m, got off to a poor start at the gun and couldn't recover and finished 32nd. Tyrone Bossard, who made the team only due to an injury to Kevin Grabnoski, set a new personal best.
30 Tyrone Bossard (QZX)                   35.16   35.20   1:10.36
32 Jessie Puglisi (QZX) 35.41 34.99 1:10.40
57 Nelson Kindel (QZX) 35.56 35.73 1:11.29
70 Erik Chretien (QZX) 36.12 35.56 1:11.68

Men's 5000m Speedskating- Clinton Petrowski was sitting in 3rd place with one pairing left, but Derk Jenkins and Javier Rosario both beat his time, as he finshed 5th.
5 Clinton Petrowski (QZX)                 6:19.13
55 Hugh Presutti (QZX) 6:31.92
77 Erik Leeder (QZX) 6:38.50

Women's 1500m Speedskating- Darcy Weatherholtz beat her personal best by 3 seconds and finished in the top 10.
10 Darcy Weatherholtz (QZX)                 1:58.10
33 Alana Repine (QZX) 1:59.71
55 Maricela Beacham (QZX) 2:01.84
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Ferkas
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ferkas » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:35 pm

Ministry of Justice Formalizes Charges

Several Warrants Issued, More are Likely

Case Details Emerge in Public Court Documents

At Least One Athlete Hospitalized

Published In: Coventry Times Pages 1A -4A, 7A, 1-8D; Chancellery Sport Magazine Page 1A-9A; Coventry Times Online Edition, Chancellery Sport Magazine Online Edition

The Ministry of Justice, represented in court by Chancellery Attorney Nathaniel Peters, formalized charges against several members of the Ministry of Sport and the Ferkian National Winter Olympic Confederation. Writs of Seizure and Arrest were issued against several Olympic team coaches and managers, support staff members, and Ministry of Sport officials including a personal aide to the Minister of Sport himself.

The heaviest of charges were lodged against Dr. Oscar Yillman, Chief MD of the Ferkian Olympic Team; and Mr. Simon Patrich, the Head Coach for Womens Biathlon Events. Both are charged with knowingly acting in a manner which could result in death of a responsible party, falsifying medical records, falsifying sworn government statements, and violating the Ferkian Immigration and Customs Statutes. It is charged that the two men lied about the conditions of Caroline Richards, a biathlon team members, in order to keep her in Liventia for competition. After she was found passed out in her room Yillman and Patrich worked together to have her sent back to Ferkas, but avoided proper customs procedures in doing so. Together the charges could land the men in jail for upwards of twenty-five years, with the first charge carrying a minimum sentance of 8 years if convicted.

Several other coaches and managers have also been charged. Writs have been issued citing blackmail, harassment, and even physical abuse, with the number of writs is increasing as additional athletes come forward to report crimes. Jonathan Pearce; Executive Assistant to Sir Robert Allen McMiller OCK, and the Minister of Sport; has been charged with failure to report a crime, as recently seized email communication indicates that Pearce was aware of the offenses being committed in Liventia. Currently Sir McMiller has not been charged, nor has he released any comment on the issue.

Other Headlines

Liventia Offers Asylum to Ferkian Athletes
"Liventia, the Olympic host nation, has extended a formal offer of asylum to members of the Olympic team who are currently in the nation...currently no athletes have publicaly accepted the offer, which would result in the loss of Ferkian citizenship...Authorities in Liventia have also indicated that they will begin investigations to see if any of their laws were violated by members of the Olympic team...the Ministry of Justice has indicated their willingness to work with their Liventian counterparts..."

Jenkins Shines Despite Controversy
"It is a shame that terrible scandal has overshadowed what the Olympics should be about, but skater Derk Jenkins didn't let all of the distractions get to him...Jenkins won a surprise gold medal in the 5000m speed skating final...His time of 6:14.05 is an Olympic Record, making Jenkins the first Ferkian athlete to set an Olympic Record, which is always an impressive accomplishment..."

Yesopalitha
Minister

Founded: Sep 01, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Yesopalitha » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:58 pm

From the Yesopalithan Sports Network, Facts and Opinions Only

Yesopalitha Speaks out Against Ferkas

NEVEREND, LIVENTIA -

As the Winter Olympics draw to a close, the Liventian government stated that Liventia will offer asylum to all the Ferkian Olympic athletes. When this was heard in Freedom's Altar, the Ministry of Sports and International Relations informed the press that they will be sending all the documents that the Yesopalithan athletes have turned in concerning their encounter with the Ferkians.

"Now that the proper authorities have been contacted," stated an employee, "We will be handing over all relevant documents pertaining to the investigation, and be answering any questions that may arise from it. I am glad that the situation will be taken care of, for it has distressed our athletes as well."

A Yesopalithan Olympic Athlete commented, "It's good to know that something is being done, because they've been treated horribly."

Although skeptics are stating that Yesopalitha is taking the easy way out by waiting until Liventia blew the horn, others are saying that waiting for the news to be heard in another fashion was the right thing to do. Either way, the secret is out.

Reporting from Liventia, this is the Yesopalithan Sports Network.
Motto: Perseverantia saeculorum Note: I prefer to be known as YSP over YES if you use abbreviations.
Proud Original Member of Mystria

Puppet Nation of Chromatika

The Archregimancy
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 01, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Archregimancy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:53 am

THE MONASTIC TIMES

MOC SPOKESMAN DENOUNCES 'OUTRAGEOUS' CHEATING IN WOMEN'S 1000M SHORT TRACK EVENT
Archregimancy Team Continues to Succeed in Not Winning More Medals

By Fr. Nicholas the Scribe

Monastic Olympic Committee Spokesman Fr. Vasily the Heavily Accented today denounced the participants in the Women's 1000m short track speed skating event for 'outrageous' cheating after the nine fastest competitors in event qualifying all broke the existing Olympic record, with top placed qualifier Michaela Brooks-Johnson of Yesopalitha breaking the record by almost six tenths of a second.

"Is outrage!" said Fr. Vasily. "Is clear case of the cheating, no? To be so many the beating of the record doing is not being right. Is clear that the stimulating these women they are doing. Much and much stimulating. They must be doing the stimulating out of the sight in their rooms, many women doing the stimulating together. Perhaps they are even doing the stimulating to each other out of the sight in their rooms. An investigation I am demanding."

A senior archimandrite, speaking on condition of anonymity, later clarified that Fr. Vasily was referring to illegal 'stimulants', and was not claiming that lesbian orgies had led to the smashing of Phillipa Kennedy's existing record by no fewer than nine women.

Elsewhere, after a quiet few days of monastic inaction, the Archregimancy's athletes have continued their proud record of winning as few medals as possible - the cross country skiers and doubles luge pair having been forgiven for their medal-winning lapses given the proximity to Forgiveness Sunday. Frs. Vassily and Raphael finished a magnificent 72nd and 86th in the 500 metre event, though Fr. Raphael did cause some concern when he unexpectedly led the 5000 metre event in the early stages, before more deserving athletes pushed him back into 6th. A relieved Fr. Raphael admitted that it had been "a surprisingly close run thing", and that he had "prayed hard" that better, fitter athletes would eventually relieve him of the burden of winning a medal. Fr. Vassily finished a more respectable 61st in the same event.

The Archregimancy has also become the latest nation to offer asylum to the athletes of Ferkas, though on condition that only male asylum seekers will be accepted, and that they will be expected to convert to the Orthodox Church and become monks. "Ferkas' medal haul of of only four medals is reassuringly poor - notwithstanding the slightly worrying fact that 75% of these have been gold - and I'm sure they would be welcome in the Archregimancy should they wish to become living icons of bodily purity through sporting endeavour."
Last edited by The Archregimancy on Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports