NATION

PASSWORD

[@DRAFT@] Opposition's Representation is Busted

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

[@DRAFT@] Opposition's Representation is Busted

Postby TurtleShroom » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:12 pm

NATIONSTATES
ISSUE PROPOSAL: FILLIBUSTER BAN REVERSAL

ISSUE NAME: Opposition's Representation is Busted

DESCRIPTION: Having successfully banned filibusters, the @@NAME@@ Legislature has steamrolled several bills through that, while popular for most of the nation, have met staunch resentment from the elderly voting bloc that sits in the minority.
Feeling unrepresented, they have finally called the issue of fairness before you.

VALIDITY: For nations that allow voting, have an actual legislature, and chose Option One in the Filibuster issue.

CHOICES:

[option]“True representin’ ain’t crushin’ tha little fella.” bemoans @@RANDOMNAME@@, who represents an extremely rural area of backwater geezers, as he pauses for his oxygen tank to breathe for him. “We gots as legitimate an interest in runnin’ this here @@TYPE@@ as them city slickin’ youngins’, and when they ‘wanna run stuff through that’ll hurt mah constituents, I’m much obliged to stop it. Filibusterin’ allows the minority ta make their voices heard and installs transparency by preventin’ folks from a-runnin’ through bills that hurt minorities to benefit others. For that very reason, ya’ll must reinstate the filibuster. Simple as that.”
[effect]elderly oppositional lawmakers stall bills all through the night with their rambling
[stats]Corruption down, Political Freedoms up, Government Efficiency slashed, Civil Rights up, Happiness up

[option]“That weasley wimp ain’t goin’ far enough!” declares extremist city councilman @@RANDOMNAME@@, who can never win enough votes to get to the national legislature for his district. “Minorities’a ALL stripes need to be heard, not just the ones that sell out to them comp’nies to vote fer themselves! I suggest that yer Congress be expanded and filled with a quota of third-party minorities on all spectra, so that everyone, even the crazy spastic conspirators, dirty commies, and fascists can influence this great nation!”
[effect]extremists from tiny minority parties receive extra Congressional seats in the name of "fairness"
[stats]Extremism up, Political Freedoms up, Most Politically Free up, Equality down (awards special favors), Corruption slightly up, Government efficiency down

[option]“We banned filibusters for the sole reason of stopping those inbred kooks and nutty Hitlers from stalling the process of this great nation!” scoffs @@RANDOMNAME@@, a ranking member of the dominant party in @@NAME@@. “They are obsolete and hinder progress, and we must go further! I suggest we establish a districting system or modifying the proportions of votes so that we can expand and eliminate the voice of the nagging lunatics that send those filibustering clowns to these great halls. Am I supporting gerrymandering? Of course I am, for the sake of @@NAME@@, of course!”
[effect]games of “what does THAT district look like” are laugh riots amongst civic class schoolchildren
[stats]Corruption way up, Political Freedoms cut, Government Efficiency way up, adds “corrupt” to government description, Authoritarianism very slightly up, Most Politically Free slashed, Civil Rights slightly down (?), power gets consolidated, Happiness down, adds “Renowned for its love of political gerrymandering”

[option]“What is with democratic fools and their under-the-table manipulation! Dare I say, but show some balls, @@LEADER@@!" pontificates @@RANDOMNAME@@, prodding his black-gloved fingers on your chest. ALL of these fools in Congress are holding back the REAL agent of progress in @@NAME@@ YOU! Just kick out that legislature and pass the law yourself. It’s your right, and you’re right! Think of all the money we’d save if you said something, and it was simply so!”
[effect]@@LEADER@@ rules by decree and the legislature has been dissolved
[stats]Political Freedoms slashed, Government Size greatly plummets, Government Efficiency skyrockets, Authoritarianism skyrockets, Taxes down (less pesky bureaucrats and salaries), Most Avoided up, Civil Rights slashed, Corruption up by immense leaps and bounds to astronomical levels, Most Politically Free slashed, Most Rightist/“Keep Right” status up, nation is ineligible for most legislative Issues
Last edited by TurtleShroom on Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

Jesus Loves You and Died for You!!
●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ש✞ש▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●
NationStates' only surviving States' Rights Democrat/Dixiecrat (minus the rascism)!

Frenequesta
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 22, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Frenequesta » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:56 pm

I absolutely love how you can make the petitioners come to life. :D Maybe you can help me on some of the issues I'm making.

A couple suggestions:

If you want the attention of the mods, make [DRAFT] into [@DRAFT@] so they know it's part of the accelerated issues program.

"Government efficiency" on the off-site calculators, is a function of political freedom. Generally, as the political freedoms approach "World Benchmark", government efficiency increases. So if political freedoms are going up for Options #1 and #2 (or down for #3), it's not guaranteed (depending on how high political freedoms actually are) that government efficiency will decrease (or increase for going down), it may in fact increase (or decrease). Unless I misunderstand what you mean by "efficiency" as far as game stats go... oh, and "most politically free" is also a function of political freedom (though it always increases with more political freedom), so having stats for both "political freedoms up" and "most politically free" is a bit redundant in my view.

I see you take an absolute view of equality rather than a remedial view. :p That aside, there's no stat for equality in general, but there is one for income equality, and I'm not seeing anyone getting bribed to get in seats as might be construed for income (in)equality. You probably should have Social Equality spending rise, and perhaps increase the "most compassionate" rating since it's favoring the "little people".

I would not question civil rights going down slightly for Option #3. Civil Rights are often construed to protect the minority and their views (even the "nutty Hitlers"), so if they're not represented, it's a bit more likely that the majority will pass legislation disfavoring them.

A little oversight you may have missed-- who's speaking in Option #4?

I'm not sure if "most avoided" is an appropriate effect for Option #4. That stat deals with environmental degradation, not rule under and iron fist.

I've got several others but I'm overextending myself a little... it's probably the best filibuster ban issue I've seen yet!
Last edited by Frenequesta on Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I’m mostly here for... something to do, I suppose.

TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby TurtleShroom » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:25 pm

Frenequesta wrote:I absolutely love how you can make the petitioners come to life. :D Maybe you can help me on some of the issues I'm making.

I am honored that you heap such lavish praise on an Issue I spent little effort on. (If you like my work, see my other contributions from the Signature link.)

However, I disagree with "Most Avoided". I think that "Most Avoided" simply factors in the nations that people are least likely to want to go. Tyrannical, authoritarian, and oppressive regimes get that. I've NEVER seen a nation with Political Freedoms get a high Avoidance ranking.
-and unlike your claim, "Most Poliitcally Free" and "Political Freedoms" will rise when each other rises, but they are actually two separate items. I know this because my PF and MPF rankings aren't identical, and my "Corruption" is farther into the negative than my "Freedom from Corruption" is in its postive.
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

NationStates' only surviving States' Rights Democrat/Dixiecrat (minus the rascism)!

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:54 pm

You can put whatever you like in the [stats] and [validity] portion of the issues. It doesn't matter if it's the way the game codes it or not - we'll fix that in editing regardless. However, discussions like this give us insight into the author's head, and when we do get to coding the issue we'll know what you intended.

In summary, new draft, please. Don't worry about the stat accuracy. Also, please change your thread title to "[@DRAFT@] Opposition's Representation is Busted" (or whatever title you end up with), as we have several contenders for the filibuster ban.

TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby TurtleShroom » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:34 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:*snip*

Okay, I got the name change thing, but... what is it you want me to do again? :blink:
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:23 pm

We'll leave this here for the players and editors to look over, perhaps make some suggestions. Eventually, one of the filibuster ban issues will be chosen for our immediate needs. The others can then be submitted the normal way if they want.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:27 am

It's a good 1st draft. My major edit would be to cut the fourth option. I personally don't think it's necessary, and with how extreme some of the other [options] are, it's a bit overwhelming. I also wonder how often people would pick it.

As a minor note, you can't use commas in the effect line. Learned that one myself recently.

TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby TurtleShroom » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:08 pm

Luna Amore wrote:commas

The error has been fixed. Thank you for pointing that out!
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?