NATION

PASSWORD

.:The BIG Collaborative List of Suggested NS Improvements:.

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 28, 2003
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:48 am

This thought had just come to mind when starting my own region: having the ability to directly invite someone into your region. To use an example, and probably one that could very well be hated, it would be like inviting someone to a group/event/club on Facebook, where you simply have to select [accept] to join it or [decline] to of course ignore. Nothing else is required.

Now, I can understand the abuse that this could bring, especially to those in the feeder regions who would have to be subjected to both TGs and now these invites, and I can imagine the coding that would be involved would be horrendous, considering basically a whole new string of code would need to be jammed in there to get it workable. But it's just a thought and one that might be a bit interesting, and somewhat useful. Though, I'm uncertain if the benefits really outweigh the work one has to put in.

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:57 am

Okay, I've added it to the list.

I don't know how popular the idea will prove to be, telegrams do the same thing, and with [nation] tags .. their regions are only a click away! Though, some telegram letters spend two paragraphs explaining to newbies how to join a different region -- it could save space to have a "Join Us" button for telegrams that would join the recruited to the region without visiting their page (which would be a poor idea though).

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:26 pm

Here's another thought that I've come across in writing telegrams: larger textbox fields for writing messages.

I've found that anything over several lines tends to get quite a bit bogged down in trying to scroll through a hefty chunk of text, if you need to reference something you stated earlier or are trying to scroll through in reading it all. I suppose that not everyone has this issue since a great many people just chose to write a few lines here and there and there's always constantly hitting the preview button but that can be kinda annoying when having to flip up and down the page constantly.

A thought that I had was either making the textboxes themselves larger or maybe implementing something along the lines of the QuickReply boxes that have been used in the previous incarnation of the boards. For example: you'd have just the regular textbox there as it is now, where folks could type in whatever short messages they'd like, but you could hit another button that would provide a window/page where there are more options, space, or what have you, kind of like how a forum has it, for those who have longer messages.
Last edited by Northrop-Grumman on Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unibotian WASC Mission
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibotian WASC Mission » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:20 pm

Use Google Chrome, it allows one to stretch textboxes to your own liking. :p
Last edited by Unibotian WASC Mission on Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:38 pm

The use of AJAX could introduce automatically expanding text fields and cut down on the number of page redirects/reloads, among many other things.

Pythagosaurus
Cute Purple Dinosaur

Founded: Nov 24, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Pythagosaurus » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:24 pm

You don't need AJAX for that.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:43 pm

Pythagosaurus wrote:You don't need AJAX for that.

I don't know any other way, aside from using javascript. :\ That's probably why I'm not writing code for NS.

It would be appealing to see NS have some asynchrony, when it comes to pressing buttons, submitting text, etc. That would probably be at the very bottom of the list, though.

Pythagosaurus
Cute Purple Dinosaur

Founded: Nov 24, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Pythagosaurus » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:52 pm

I just meant the auto-expanding text field (which honestly really annoys me in gmail, but pidgin's is nice). And AJAX is javascript. All I was saying is that there's no reason to contact the server in order to expand a text field. I agree that it would be nice not to have to reload the page when sending a telegram, for example. That's mainly what AJAX is for. Go ahead and add it to the list, Uni.

The Children of Mama
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Children of Mama » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:34 am

Nova Venecio wrote:Unibot: you are perhaps thinking about NCRs (as "& # 2 6 5 ;", without spaces). I was thinking more of UTF-8. As I said, I can type in unicode characters in regional messages and they appear properly (see my comment in Esperantujo, for example). However I cannot do that for currency or animals. I wanted my currency to be "laŭro", but it's not accepted.

Whee, I just previewed my post, and my ŭ character appears correctly. Great! It seems it is accepted everywhere except for currencies, how lucky of me :-)

Neat. So we can post things like musical note symbols to indicate something is being sung rather than spoken:

♫doremifasolatido♫

Station 12
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Station 12 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:09 pm

I think we should be allowed to add our own information to our nation's pages beyond the motto, animal and currency. Like a small text box on the bottom that we can put any text we want in or something. Almost like a forum signature, but on your nation's page.
Welcome to Station 12, citizen. Have a HAPPY day.

Birnadia wrote:JOY unit is perfection. JOY unit cannot be questioned.

Verlorenen wrote:I might be a cold-hearted fascist, but honestly - Station 12, your posts scare the living hell out of me.

Manahakatouki wrote:I would but you scare the crap out of me....your nation anyway.....

New Caldaris wrote:LOL dude i rarely see your posts but when i do i am either laughing or terrified at the thought someone could even say something so sinister and evil.

Lockswania wrote:Station twelve, you scare me.

The Eurasican Union wrote:Station 12, My leader might be corrupt and evil on the inside, but if he was on your station, he'd jump into space as a form of suicide.

Unibotian WASC Mission
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibotian WASC Mission » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:41 pm

Station 12 wrote:I think we should be allowed to add our own information to our nation's pages beyond the motto, animal and currency. Like a small text box on the bottom that we can put any text we want in or something. Almost like a forum signature, but on your nation's page.

A National Factbook Entry has been suggested a couple of times, from [violet] the admin, and myself. I'm not sure, but I think it's on the list of things to do, or [violet] atleast said that once somewhere, pretty sure.

The Most Glorious Hack
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 11, 2003
Anarchy

Postby The Most Glorious Hack » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:45 am

Now the stars they are all angled wrong,
And the sun and the moon refuse to burn.
But I remember a message,
In a demon's hand:
"Dread the passage of Jesus, for he does not return."

-Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, "Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum"

Unibotian WASC Mission
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibotian WASC Mission » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:54 am

The Most Glorious Hack wrote:Factbooks, huh?

Eh, yeah. :blush:

Rasoana
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Rasoana » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:26 pm

Maybe an exchange rate that(instead of like NSTracker's rate to NSD) could compare it too other nations currencies. Like if I wanted to compare mine to Grittonia's?

Quazil
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

.:The BIG Collaborative List of Suggested NS Improvements:.

Postby Quazil » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:44 am

How about nations are allowed to pick what their nation is most known for producing, for my nation I produce stuff that I dislike. It doesn't fit with what I want my nation to be like and is just plain rediculous.

The Most Glorious Hack
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 11, 2003
Anarchy

Postby The Most Glorious Hack » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:26 am

Quazil wrote:How about nations are allowed to pick what their nation is most known for producing, for my nation I produce stuff that I dislike. It doesn't fit with what I want my nation to be like and is just plain rediculous.

That's what issues are for.
Now the stars they are all angled wrong,
And the sun and the moon refuse to burn.
But I remember a message,
In a demon's hand:
"Dread the passage of Jesus, for he does not return."

-Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, "Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum"

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:27 pm

The Most Glorious Hack wrote:
Quazil wrote:How about nations are allowed to pick what their nation is most known for producing, for my nation I produce stuff that I dislike. It doesn't fit with what I want my nation to be like and is just plain rediculous.

That's what issues are for.

Memo to self: Write an issue that recognises nations as having a 'Honey Production' industry... ;)
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:35 pm

Well, here goes another thought:

There could possibly be email notification of newly received telegrams, activated via a checkbox or other toggle in the Settings, that could either send a "Hey you! You have a telegram!" or even have the actual telegram in the email body. You could be the sort who doesn't log into NS every single day so something like that might alert you to a situation going on, if you're away for a long time and perhaps you have people worried about you they could send you a message, or something entirely different. Or, you could be like me and glance at telegrams while you're busy, put off responding to the person, then manage to forget about it for several weeks. >.>

Unibotian WASC Mission
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibotian WASC Mission » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:17 pm

Northrop-Grumman wrote:Well, here goes another thought:

There could possibly be email notification of newly received telegrams, activated via a checkbox or other toggle in the Settings, that could either send a "Hey you! You have a telegram!" or even have the actual telegram in the email body. You could be the sort who doesn't log into NS every single day so something like that might alert you to a situation going on, if you're away for a long time and perhaps you have people worried about you they could send you a message, or something entirely different. Or, you could be like me and glance at telegrams while you're busy, put off responding to the person, then manage to forget about it for several weeks. >.>

This can be done with the RSS feeds, using Google or whatnot.

Usual People In Life
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 03, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

A new idea

Postby Usual People In Life » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:52 pm

Hi unibot, my you must be rather busy!
Anyway, please could you search my posts so you can find my most recent ones in technical which suggests an idea for nationstates.
When is a nation not a nation? When it's a region!

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:56 pm

Usual People In Life wrote:Hi unibot, my you must be rather busy!
Anyway, please could you search my posts so you can find my most recent ones in technical which suggests an idea for nationstates.

On it.

EDIT: Added in the "Security" category, right under "Safezones". I also added Kandy's post on the subject.
Last edited by Unibot on Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Usual People In Life
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 03, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Usual People In Life » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:03 pm

Unibot wrote:
Usual People In Life wrote:Hi unibot, my you must be rather busy!

On it.

EDIT: Added in the "Security" category, right under "Safezones". I also added Kandy's post on the subject.

Thanks, I hope the idea can be implemented. You can try it out in everyones friends if you wish as one of the reasons I created it is to add to the list of playgrounds the moderators can try things out with.
When is a nation not a nation? When it's a region!

The darker thought
Civilian

Founded: Jan 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The darker thought » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:22 pm

I think there should be only one nation per person.

Itinerate Tree Dweller
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby Itinerate Tree Dweller » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:31 am

The darker thought wrote:I think there should be only one nation per person.

Nah, one of the great thing about this game is the use of puppet nations. You are free to role play with only one nation though.
The Illustrious Empire of the United Romans and the Commonwealth Territories (PMT)
Emperor Regulus Serius Sirius - Prime Minister Tiberius Serius Primulus - Foreign Secretary Jeffery Kandel
Factbook - Military - Embassy Exchange - NSwiki Entry - NS Economy Page - The United Reddit Nations
Serius Industries - News Feed - NS Tracker Page - National Website - Player Info - CAPINTERN
Emperor Primus Serius Sirius - Prime Minister Cassius Serius Sirius - Foreign Secretary Matthew Stonewall
Factbook - Fleet - Embassy Exchange - NSwiki Entry

Jolt Veteran +2,228 posts - Oderint dum metuant - Current Status: Peace
Max Berries are part of a balanced breakfast.

Caesica
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Caesica » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:35 pm

Is there a way for you to add a section to our nations profiles that we can write a little bit about them?

Like on NationStates2, you got 500 words. If we could have something like that, it would be nice.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives