NATION

PASSWORD

[@DRAFT@] End of the line for the death penalty?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Andacantra
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

[@DRAFT@] End of the line for the death penalty?

Postby Andacantra » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:37 am

Human rights activists are calling for the end of the death penalty in @@NAME@@ after new DNA evidence came to light proving that @@RANDOMNAME@@, who was recently executed for murder, is in fact innocent.

[option]"End the killing of potentially innocent people now!" chants @@RANDOMNAME@@, a human rights activist, from outside your office door. "It must end! Sure, there's less of a deterrent, but at least it will end this government-sanctioned murder! Abolish the death penalty now!"
[effect] crime rates soar as the death penalty is abolished

[option]"What about the innocents these MURDERERS are killing?" shouts your enraged Minister of Justice. "In fact, since we introduced the death penalty the crime rate has decreased hugely. I say we should make the death penalty more brutal, that way no-one will ever do anything wrong!"
[effect] the populace lives in fear of a painful death for minor offences

[option]"You must be kidding me!" exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, a determined pacifist. "Surely it's bad enough that we're killing these people anyway, is there not a more humane way of doing this? You won't deter the worst people anyway, so surely being slightly more reasonable about this is a price worth paying for the loss in the risk for all those potential criminals out there?"
[effect] crime rates rise after the death penalty becomes too expensive to use

[option]"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" @@RANDOMNAME@@, a high-ranking police officer candidly states. "These executions of innocents happen once in a blue moon, why should we go overhauling a system that's been working for us just because one poor person who was actually innocent got executed? Boo hoo. Accidents happen. If we fund our police force some more, then maybe they'll be less likely to make mistakes!"
[effect] police officers line their pockets while innocent people are executed

[option]"How about bringing back those good old fashioned lynchings? Bring justice back to the people!" shouts Jethro, an outlandish survivalist. "Who'd dare to kill innocent people when the result is being pelted to death with rocks?"
[effect] criminals are routinely stoned to death by ordinary people

Human rights activists are calling for the end of the death penalty in @@NAME@@ after new DNA evidence came to light proving that @@RANDOMNAME@@, who was recently executed for murder, is actually innocent.

[option]"End the killing of potentially innocent people now!" chants @@RANDOMNAME@@, a human rights activist, from outside your office door. "It must end! Sure, there's less of a deterrent, but at least it will end this government-sanctioned murder! Abolish the death penalty now!"

[option]"What about the innocents these CRIMINALS are killing?" shouts your enraged Minister of Justice. "In fact, since we introduced the death penalty the crime rate has decreased hugely. I say we should introduce the death penalty for more crimes, like burglary and trespass, and then no-one will ever dare to do anything wrong!"
[effect] the populace lives in fear of a painful execution for minor offences

[option]"You must be kidding me!" exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, a determined pacifist. "Surely it's bad enough that we're killing these people anyway, so we should at least show them a little respect in the process. Make our executions more humane, give these people some choice. Only then can we call ourselves civilised.”
[effect] criminals are put to death while cuddling their favourite teddy bear

[option]"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" @@RANDOMNAME@@, a high-ranking police officer candidly states. "These executions of innocents happen once in a blue moon, why should we go overhauling a system that's been working for us just because one poor person who was actually innocent got executed? Boo hoo. Accidents happen. If we fund our police force some more, then maybe they'll be less likely to make mistakes!"

[option]"Hows abo' bringin' back dem-dere good ol' fashioned lynchings? Bring justice back ter tha peoples!" shouts Jethro, an outlandish survivalist. "Who'd dare ta kill innocent peoples when tha punishmen' is bein' pelted ta death wit' rocks?"
[effect] criminals are routinely stoned to death by lynch mobs

Sedge's been poking me repeatedly for ages now to draft an issue, then pointed out the hole where once a nation's legalised the death penalty there's no issue to abolish it. I'd like some suggestions for the title, and general feedback is very much wanted :)

EDIT: Slight rewrite as per suggestions
Last edited by Andacantra on Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Abbey
Chief Kitty of the Cat Burglars
Bi-gameplayers: Raiding and defending because both are fun and ok
Nationstates Issues **SPOILER ALERT**

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:13 am

The text of the 2nd and 5th options seem too similar, as they both focus on making the death penalty more brutal. You need to be clearer in the text of the option of the 2nd one that you're extending the death penalty to more petty offences (maybe mention some, like burglary, trespass, jaywalking...).

The 3rd option is a bit unclear about what exactly you're doing. The person arguing it should disagree with the person from the 2nd option, saying that while the death penalty is a necessary evil, the least we can do is treat people with respect, and execute them in a humane manner. The effect should be modified too - I'd suggest removing the "crime rates rise" part, and changing it to something like "judges have become unwilling to hand down the death penalty as its cost soars" (except maybe more snappy than that :P ). Alternatively, could go for something more silly, like "criminals are put to death while cuddling their favourite teddy bear".

For the 5th option, the effect should probably be changed to "criminals are routinely stoned to death by lynch mobs", to make clear it's not just execution that is in "the hands of the people" - but the entire justice system too. You might also want to try writing the yokel voice in the option text.

Andacantra
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Andacantra » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:16 pm

I've done some fiddling as per those suggestions - as well as a wording change or two where it felt a little clunky to me while I was at it. I'm not overly convinced by my yokeling of the last option, but it's not too bad.

Anybody got any other suggestions?

EDIT: On another read-through, I'm not quite happy with option 3. Will probably do some more adjusting.
Last edited by Andacantra on Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abbey

Fischistan
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Fischistan » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:37 pm

calling for the end of the death penalty

How about "abolition of the death penalty"
executed for murder, is actually innocent

was actually innocent

End the killing of potentially innocent people now!

How's "Put a stop to the killing of potentially innocent people"
In fact, since we introduced the death penalty the crime rate has decreased hugely.

ever since we introduced
like burglary and trespass

burglary and trespassing

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

If it ain't broken
Not sure if you want it to sound like that. Just pointing it out.
Xavier D'Montagne
Fischistani Ambassador to the WA
Unibot II wrote:It's Carta. He CANNOT Fail. Only successes in reverse.
The Matthew Islands wrote:Knowledge is knowing the Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
Anthony Delasanta wrote:its was not genocide it was ethnic cleansing...
Socorra wrote:A religion-free abortion thread is like a meat-free hamburger.
Help is on its Way: UDL
Never forget 11 September.
Never look off the edge of cliff on a segway.

11 September 1973, of course.

TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby TurtleShroom » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:43 pm

I did almost the exact same thing with this Issue, which I submitted.

However, the option to permit LYNCH MOBS was EPIC!
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

Jesus Loves You and Died for You!!
●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ש✞ש▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●
NationStates' only surviving States' Rights Democrat/Dixiecrat (minus the rascism)!

Andacantra
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Andacantra » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:01 pm

Human rights activists are calling for the abolition of the death penalty in @@NAME@@ after new DNA evidence came to light proving that @@RANDOMNAME@@, who was recently executed for murder, was actually innocent.

[option]"Put a stop to the killing of potentially innocent people now!" chants @@RANDOMNAME@@, a human rights activist, from outside your office door. "It must end! Sure, there's less of a deterrent, but at least it will end this government-sanctioned murder! Abolish the death penalty now!"

[option]"What about the innocents these CRIMINALS are killing?" shouts your enraged Minister of Justice. "In fact, ever since we introduced the death penalty the crime rate has decreased hugely. I say we should introduce the death penalty for more crimes, like burglary and trespassing, so then no-one will ever dare to do anything wrong!"
[effect] the populace lives in fear of a painful execution for minor offences

[option]"You must be kidding me!" exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, a determined pacifist. "Surely it's bad enough that we're killing these people anyway, so we should at least show them a little respect in the process. Yes, they might not have shown those they committed crimes against any respect, but aren't we supposed to better than them?”
[effect] courts rarely hand down the death penalty as its cost rises

[option]"Hows abo' bringin' back dem-dere good ol' fashioned lynchings? Bring justice back ter tha peoples!" shouts Jethro, an outlandish survivalist. "Who'd dare ta kill innocent peoples when tha punishmen' is bein' pelted ta death wit' rocks?"
[effect] criminals are routinely stoned to death by lynch mobs

All bar the last of your changes made, Fichistan, as that last was intentional, as it's how I've always known the expression (although I'm open to persuasion otherwise :P) Also attempted to improve option 3,
Abbey

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:36 pm

Options one and two make the assumption that the death penalty affects the crime rate. I'm pretty sure that arguments can be made both ways. As such, I'd like to see the options reflect that argument. I'd also like to see a stab at incorporating [stats], as the [effect] should never explicitly describe the stat changes.

Consequently,
  • Option One would be the emotional and spiritual reversal of the ban. Effects could be different from Option three
  • Option Two shouldn't quote your Minister of Justice, but rather a rabidly pro-penalty advocate of some sort. That makes refutation of statistics more probable.
  • Option three could then be some calculator-wielding anti-penalty advocate, demonstrating the real costs and effects on the crime rate, and providing a financial incentive to eliminate the death penalty ... at some other cost, naturally.
  • Options four and five are fine, but need to also separate effect from stats. Think carefully of any possible stat possibilities, including corruption, happiness, and other World Census effects.
Last edited by Frisbeeteria on Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fischistan
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Fischistan » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:14 pm

Andacantra wrote:All bar the last of your changes made, Fichistan, as that last was intentional, as it's how I've always known the expression (although I'm open to persuasion otherwise :P) Also attempted to improve option 3,

Broke is a paste-tense verb, and broken is an adjective. Technically, saying something is broke is grammatically incorrect (unless you're referring to bankrupt), but If people say it that way, then it's fine.
Xavier D'Montagne
Fischistani Ambassador to the WA
Unibot II wrote:It's Carta. He CANNOT Fail. Only successes in reverse.
The Matthew Islands wrote:Knowledge is knowing the Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
Anthony Delasanta wrote:its was not genocide it was ethnic cleansing...
Socorra wrote:A religion-free abortion thread is like a meat-free hamburger.
Help is on its Way: UDL
Never forget 11 September.
Never look off the edge of cliff on a segway.

11 September 1973, of course.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?