NATION

PASSWORD

Tax, Tax, Tax That Cigarette! [SUBMITTED]

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Tax, Tax, Tax That Cigarette! [SUBMITTED]

Postby TurtleShroom » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:21 pm

NATIONSTATES
ISSUE: TOBBACCO SIN TAX

ISSUE NAME: Tax, Tax, Tax That Cigarette!

DESCRIPTION: In opposition to the hardcore Prohibition idea espoused by many social conservatives, a moderate group of devout believers of various church groups have suggested a much more cunning, yet milder means of discouraging cigarette smoking: the infamous “Sin Tax”, the excise surtax on things deemed “evil” by various special interests.

VALIDITY: For all nations without Prohibition.

OPTIONS:
[option]“You can not grasp the true brilliance of this proposition.” says Reverend @@RANDOMNAME@@, smirking. “Smokers will continue their rights as they so wish, and you’ll get a fat wallet in the process. All we good, God-fearing folk want is you to torture their pocketbooks to get their poison. I say an eleven percent Sin Tax, or much higher perhaps, should make tobacco pricey enough to stop those nicotine slaves from puffing in MY neighborhood…”
[effect]the government slams exorbitant Sin Taxes on tobacco products
[stats]taxes up, God Forsakenness down, Laxest Drug Law down, Health way up, Conservatism/Rightism up, Free Market cut, Industry/Commerce Funding down, Rich/Poor Divide up (this is oftentimes a regressive tax), Pollution down, Lifespan up, Death by Cancer down, Healthcare Funding down, Morality up, Private Sector down, Public Sector up, Civil Rights down, Economy slightly down

[option]“Oh no ya, I say no ya don’t, boy!” wheezes lifetime smoker @@RANDOMNAME@@, while lighting two- yes, two -cigars in his mouth. “If that ain’t da gov’ment encroachin’, I say encroachin’, on mah freedoms, there ain’t nothing is! You gone let them church mice tell this great land what ta do, or are you gone give us the choice fer our lungs? Well answer me, @@LEADER@@, I say answer me! Fact is, folks’ll buy ‘em so long as they want ‘em. It'd be nice if there were more folks like- *WHEEZE* *COUGH* *SPUTTER* -me.”
[effect]everyone's just 'gotta have another cigarette
[stats]taxes down, Economy up, Health Funding way up, Health slashed, Industry/Commerce Funding up, Free Market way up, Libertarianism way up, Lax Drug Laws way up, Death by Cancer skyrockets, Lifespan down, Drug Use up by leaps and bounds, regulations down, Pro-Business up, Agriculture up, Sickness up, Environment down, Pollution up, Civil Rights way up, Private Sector way up, Regulations down

[option]“This tobacco system is a great way to make money. Why leave such a cash cow in the hands of the private sector?” whispers @@RANDOMNAME@@, clothed in red and stroking his long, white beard. “Nationalize it. Only the state shall sale tobacco and only in state-approved stores. Any profits over breaking even will go straight to our coffers. With such cash, we can afford to cut taxes. –and besides, it’s not like we’ll abuse our new monopsony and monopoly…. right?”
[effect]only the government can dispense tobacco in monopolistic state-run stores
[stats]Free Market brutally slashed/molested, Corruption ever so slightly up, taxes slashed, Industry/Commerce Funding way up, tobacco is nationalized, Government Size way up, Economy down, Lax Drug Laws slashed, Agriculture down, Environment slightly up, drug consumption down, Civil Rights slashed, Public Sector way up, Economy down, Private Sector slashed

[option]“WUSS!” pontificates Most Reverend @@RANDOMNAME@@, scowling. “If you don’t go all-in, go home! Now’s our chance to cleanse this good, pure @@TYPE@@ of all the scummy, smelly, evil traces of tobacco! Make this nation and this nation’s God proud, @@LEADER@@! Ban AAALLLLLLLLLLLLL the tobacco!”
[effect]the government has initiated a tobacco variety of the Nobel Experiment
[stats]Prohibition in effect, drug use slashed, Crime way up, Law and Order up, God Forsakenness slashed, Lax Drug Laws slashed, Free Market slashed, Economy down, Health way up, Healthcare Funding down, Lifespan way up, Death by Cancer down, Extremism up, Police up, Devoutness up, Environment up, Pollution slashed, Rightism/Conservatism way up, Authoritarianism up, Average-ness down, Civil Rights slashed, Economy down, Morality up, Agriculture down, adds "renowned for its prohibition on tobacco" to the national description
Last edited by TurtleShroom on Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

Jesus Loves You and Died for You!!
●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ש✞ש▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●
NationStates' only surviving States' Rights Democrat/Dixiecrat (minus the rascism)!

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:53 pm

TurtleShroom wrote:
NATIONSTATES
ISSUE: TOBBACCO SIN TAX

ISSUE NAME: Tax, Tax, Tax That Cigarette!

DESCRIPTION: In opposition to the hardcore Prohibition idea espoused by many social conservatives, a moderate group of devout believers of various church groups have suggested a much more cunning, yet milder means of discouraging cigarette smoking: the infamous “Sin Tax”, the excise surtax on things deemed “evil” by various special interests.

VALIDITY: For all nations without Prohibition.

OPTIONS:
[option]“You can not grasp the true brilliance of this proposition.” says Reverend @@RANDOMNAME@@, smirking. “Smokers will continue their rights as they so wish, and you’ll get a fat wallet in the process. All we good, God-fearing folk want is you to torture their pocketbooks to get their poison. I say an eleven percent Sin Tax should make tobacco pricy enough to stop those nicotine slaves from puffing in MY neighborhood…”
[effect]the government slams exorbitant Sin Taxes on tobacco products
[stats]taxes up, God Forsakenness down, Laxest Drug Law down up (yes, up), Health way up, Conservatism/Rightism up, Free Market cut, Industry/Commerce Funding down not really, unless you were already subsidizing the tobacco industry, Rich/Poor Divide up (this is oftentimes a regressive tax), Pollution down, Lifespan up, Death by Cancer down, Healthcare Funding down, Morality up, , Authoritarian Up maybe, economic freedom down, civil freedom down, government size increases, private sector shrinks

[option]“Oh no ya, I say no ya don’t, boy!” wheezes lifetime smoker @@RANDOMNAME@@, while lighting two- yes, two -cigars in his mouth. “If that ain’t da gov’ment encroachin’, I say encroachin’, on mah freedoms, there ain’t nothing is! You gone let them church mice tell this great land what ta do, or are you gone give us the choice fer our lungs? Well answer me, @@LEADER@@, I say answer me! Fact is, folks’ll buy ‘em so long as they want ‘em. Free up some regulatin’ stuff and let that there market take its course.”
[effect]tobacco sales have hit record highs "People coughing up lungs pieces has become a common sight in the streets of @@NATION@@", because that's more poignant.
[stats]taxes down, Economy up, Health Funding way up, Health slashed, Industry/Commerce Funding up nowhere are subsidies mentioned in the issue, Free Market way up, Libertarianism up, Lax Drug Laws ever so slightly up, Death by Cancer skyrockets, Lifespan down, Drug Use up, regulations down, Pro-Business up, Agriculture up, Sickness up, Environment down, Pollution up, Civil freedoms up, economic freedoms up, private sector grows, government size shrinks

[option]“This tobacco system is a great way to make money. Why leave such a cash cow in the hands of the private sector?” whispers @@RANDOMNAME@@, clothed in red and stroking his long, white beard. “Nationalize it. Only the state shall sale tobacco and only in state-approved stores. Any profits over breaking even will go straight to our coffers. With such cash, we can afford to cut taxes. –and besides, it’s not like we’ll abuse our new monopsony and monopoly…. right?”
[effect]only the government can dispense tobacco in monopolistic state-run stores
[stats]Free Market brutally slashed/molested, Corruption ever so slightly up, taxes slashed Taxes up, Industry/Commerce Funding way up If anything, this would go down., tobacco is nationalized, Government Size up, Economy down, Lax Drug Laws slashed, Agriculture down, Environment slightly up,drug consumption down Why are those last four here?, Economic freedoms down, private sector shrinks, government size increases

[option]“WUSS!” pontificates Most Reverend @@RANDOMNAME@@, scowling. “If you don’t go all-in, go home! Now’s our chance to cleanse this good, pure @@TYPE@@ of all the scummy, smelly, evil traces of tobacco! Make this nation and this nation’s God proud, @@LEADER@@! Ban AAALLLLLLLLLLLLL the tobacco!”
[effect]tobacco is outlawed There's gotta be a nicotine addict joke in here somewhere
[stats]Prohibition in effect, drug use slashed, Crime up, Law and Order up, God Forsakenness slashed, Lax Drug Laws slashed, Free Market slashed, Economy down, Health way up, Healthcare Funding down, Lifespan way up, Death by Cancer down, Extremism up, Police up, Devoutness up, Environment up, Pollution slashed, Rightism/Conservatism way up, Authoritarianism up, Average-ness down economic freedoms down, civil freedoms down, government size increases, private sector shrinks

Overall a good issue though.
Last edited by The Murtunian Tribes on Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby TurtleShroom » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:00 pm

Thank you. The changes have benm considered and have been applied where need be.
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

NationStates' only surviving States' Rights Democrat/Dixiecrat (minus the rascism)!

Adun
Minister

Founded: Oct 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Adun » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:13 am

Looks good to me

TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

-and there we have it!! ^_^

Postby TurtleShroom » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:18 pm

Spellcheck applied, edits glossed over!

ISSUE SUBMITTED!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

ZellDincht
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby ZellDincht » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:21 am

I like it. It stays in character throughout nad provides fors and againsts as well as freaky over the top compromises. At first I was about to click exit because I thought the options were really long but then realised you added the stats. The effects look good as well. This should stand a good chance of being accepted in the year 2075 when the issues are finally caught up lol.
"You must be the change you want to see in the World."-Ghandi
"If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now."

Return to Got Issues?