NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Freedom From Violence

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Burninati0n
Envoy

Founded: Oct 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Burninati0n » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:35 pm

<Deleted.>
Last edited by Burninati0n on Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Founded: Nov 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:37 pm

RECOGNIZING that there are professions where one may be called upon to cause harm,
OMG!! THIS IS EPIC!! I WOULD NEVER HAVE THOUGHT OF THAT!!!

REALIZING that there are those who have no objection to perform such duties,
Yes, some people are quite brave, and we honor and respect them

ALSO REALIZING that there are those who do have such an objection,
Yes, some people are complete wusses

HEREBY MANDATES;

1. No inhabitant of a member nation shall be compelled, for any reason, to inflict harm, pain or death on any other sentient being.
2. No inhabitant of a member nation shall be persecuted, prosecuted, or punished for refusal to inflict harm.
3. This resolution does not affect the ability of inhabitants of member nations to take on jobs wherein they may inflict harm of their own volition.
Again, this would adversely affect our military, which we would like to keep.
Member of The South and Osiris
Representing Mahaj in the World Assembly.
The Mahaj Factbook.

Author of Missing Minors Act (Repealed) and In Regards to Cloning
Mike the Progressive wrote:
Brogavia wrote:Fuck bitches, get money.
You shall be my god.

Georgism wrote:Fuck off you cunt, I'm always nice.

NERVUN wrote:Yog zap!

Cool Egg Sandwich wrote:I am the Urinater..... I'll be back.

Jedi Utopians wrote:5) Now, saying that a nation couldn't be part of OPEC would be bold. AIPEC sounds like something you'd want to get checked out by a physician for.

Eireann Fae
Minister

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:37 pm

Keronians wrote:If you can, yes, please. I would like one a translation to Spanish, French and Hindi, please. It would make my job much easier.

Rowan, being fluent in eight languages (including two of the requested), offers such to the Keronian Ambassador. "No hay ninguna prohibición sobre el reclutamiento, y il n'y a pas d'interdiction sur la conscription. Désolé, je ne suis pas familier avec l'hindi."

After a friendly smile to the Keronian, the girl turns her attention to the Darenjon representative. "Well, Ambassador, at least you are objecting to the proposal for legitimate reasons now. I am sorry you feel that way, but we will of course continue to pursue the protections laid out herein."

As is likely obvious, I, the player, am not fluent in the languages. Google translator is my friend in this case. Just assume that Rowan is more familiar with the languages than myself or Google - it is in her character profile that she is fluent in Gaeilge, English, Fe'ræs, Latin, Greek, French, Italian, and Spanish, and has a passing familiarity with German, Russian, Mandarin, Farsi, Urdu and Japanese. Assume she is an expert linguist, despite what the words above actually say :-)

Bah, Darenjo ninja'd me! I'm keeping the post anyway, gorramit.

Numdia
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Numdia » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:38 pm

Numdia will vote for this proposition unless a sudden loophole is found or a major edit is made, in which case we will re-consider between if it is big enough to deny support or if such a loophole or edit is outweighed by the good done in this proposal.

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:44 pm

Darenjo wrote:
Eireann Fae wrote:
Rowan sighs. "You can have a military, you know. And any doctor that would use this law to get out of saving lives is not worthy of the title. I am sure you can find more than enough people willing to enforce their will upon others to make up security and law enforcement staff, and people playing sports can of course choose to do so. Did you even read the third clause of the resolution?"

Dr. Park, hoping to be a bit more civil than Dr. Castro, responds:

"I will admit to misreading the proposal. However, we still must oppose this on the grounds that it renders conscription redundant and painfully bureaucratic. Darenjo has no draft at the current time, but we reserve the right to create one and must respect the wishes of those nations that already need one."

@Keronians - I don't know about French or Hindi, but here's the Spanish:

No. Hay. Un. Prohibición. En. Servicio militar obligatorio.

Not half-bad Spanish, actually. Good job.

Alexandra, some good skills there. I think I'll use that in my report to my superiors. I myself am not as fluent in French as I am in English and Spanish.

Hindi, anyone?
Proud Indian. Spanish citizen. European federalist.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade
· Exchange of goods and services
· Free formation of prices

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

This is a capitalist model.

Numdia
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Numdia » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:45 pm

Eireann Fae wrote:

HEREBY MANDATES;

1. No inhabitant of a member nation shall be compelled, for any reason, to inflict harm, pain or death on any other sentient being.
2. No inhabitant of a member nation shall be persecuted, prosecuted, or punished for refusal to inflict harm.
3. This resolution does not affect the ability of inhabitants of member nations to take on jobs wherein they may inflict harm of their own volition.

I would like to say that this bill may be largely unpopular because numbers 1 and 2 could be interpreted (I do not know if it was meant to do this or not) as denying a nation from calling a draft. Personally I would put a footnote or small, under section explaining the bill's relevance to the military.

Eireann Fae
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:54 pm

BURNINATI0N wrote:Clearly, your excellency has failed to utilize any level of advanced technology at all. This is even more evident, since you've admitted to being stuck in a modern era. Our total armed forces consists 98% of combat personnel, and we went post-modern several generations ago.

"Ambassador, I would not consider requiring ninety eight percent of your military personnel to have the sole purpose of killing other people to be an 'advancement' of any sort we wish to be party to. I am sure our own civilization must look quite primitive to your eyes, but if forcing people to murder other people is what is required for technological or sociological advancement, I can assure you that we are quite content where we are in the spectrum of civilization."

BURNINATI0N wrote:That was a perversion of logic if ever I saw one. Not only are our soldiers all well-trained, but they all know that turning and running is an awful idea, since it would bring them outside the range of our simmershields.

"If they are aware of such issues, then they would not require force to get them to defend themselves, would they?"

BURNINATI0N wrote:@ Eireann Fae: at this point, either change your proposal so it really doesn't render conscription meaningless, or stop blindly repeating that it doesn't.

"Our proposal does not render conscription meaningless. Despite your claims, I am quite sure you could use more service-based personnel and not quite so many killers, squeezing the trigger against their will. Your violent tendencies are not our problem. Defending your citizens from such, is. We have already stated that we would fully support abolishing conscription - why would we deny that our proposal does something we would support? In our eyes, the resolution at hand does not abolish conscription, nor render it meaningless. Repeated allusions to the contrary will not change that."

Mahaj WA Seat wrote:Again, this would adversely affect our military, which we would like to keep.

Rowan sighs and shakes her head. Things were looking much better in the earlier part of this debate. "Just about every resolution passed has an adverse effect on something, Ambassador. Such is the way of regulation. As I have stated, tirelessly and repeatedly, you can keep your military, and you can still use conscription. Argue against the resolution's actual effects, please, or offer suggestions that would make it more appealing. Do not complain about something the proposal would not do in the first place."

Numdia wrote:Numdia will vote for this proposition unless a sudden loophole is found or a major edit is made, in which case we will re-consider between if it is big enough to deny support or if such a loophole or edit is outweighed by the good done in this proposal.

The girl's heart is immediately lifted upon hearing the words from the Numdian delegation. "We thank you for your support, Ambassador, and do not foresee the spirit of this resolution being considerably weakened before submission. As should be clear to all by now, we fully support the tenets laid out in our proposal, and do not wish to back too far down. The third clause of the bill is meant to serve as such a footnote. A government cannot compel its citizens, conscripted soldiers or otherwise, from inflicting harm, pain or death; however, citizens may still choose to perform such tasks. Conscription of a general military, including support staff and the like, is not outlawed. Conscription for combat troops, the ones actually pulling triggers, is."

(OOC: Keronians, it was Rowan that provided the translations, not Alexandra. Alex only knows English and Fe'rœſ - she hasn't even learned Eireann Fae's national language of Gaeilge yet [the lazy, lazy girl!]. :-)

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:06 pm

Eireann Fae wrote:
BURNINATI0N wrote:Clearly, your excellency has failed to utilize any level of advanced technology at all. This is even more evident, since you've admitted to being stuck in a modern era. Our total armed forces consists 98% of combat personnel, and we went post-modern several generations ago.

"Ambassador, I would not consider requiring ninety eight percent of your military personnel to have the sole purpose of killing other people to be an 'advancement' of any sort we wish to be party to. I am sure our own civilization must look quite primitive to your eyes, but if forcing people to murder other people is what is required for technological or sociological advancement, I can assure you that we are quite content where we are in the spectrum of civilization."

BURNINATI0N wrote:That was a perversion of logic if ever I saw one. Not only are our soldiers all well-trained, but they all know that turning and running is an awful idea, since it would bring them outside the range of our simmershields.

"If they are aware of such issues, then they would not require force to get them to defend themselves, would they?"

BURNINATI0N wrote:@ Eireann Fae: at this point, either change your proposal so it really doesn't render conscription meaningless, or stop blindly repeating that it doesn't.

"Our proposal does not render conscription meaningless. Despite your claims, I am quite sure you could use more service-based personnel and not quite so many killers, squeezing the trigger against their will. Your violent tendencies are not our problem. Defending your citizens from such, is. We have already stated that we would fully support abolishing conscription - why would we deny that our proposal does something we would support? In our eyes, the resolution at hand does not abolish conscription, nor render it meaningless. Repeated allusions to the contrary will not change that."

Mahaj WA Seat wrote:Again, this would adversely affect our military, which we would like to keep.

Rowan sighs and shakes her head. Things were looking much better in the earlier part of this debate. "Just about every resolution passed has an adverse effect on something, Ambassador. Such is the way of regulation. As I have stated, tirelessly and repeatedly, you can keep your military, and you can still use conscription. Argue against the resolution's actual effects, please, or offer suggestions that would make it more appealing. Do not complain about something the proposal would not do in the first place."

Numdia wrote:Numdia will vote for this proposition unless a sudden loophole is found or a major edit is made, in which case we will re-consider between if it is big enough to deny support or if such a loophole or edit is outweighed by the good done in this proposal.

The girl's heart is immediately lifted upon hearing the words from the Numdian delegation. "We thank you for your support, Ambassador, and do not foresee the spirit of this resolution being considerably weakened before submission. As should be clear to all by now, we fully support the tenets laid out in our proposal, and do not wish to back too far down. The third clause of the bill is meant to serve as such a footnote. A government cannot compel its citizens, conscripted soldiers or otherwise, from inflicting harm, pain or death; however, citizens may still choose to perform such tasks. Conscription of a general military, including support staff and the like, is not outlawed. Conscription for combat troops, the ones actually pulling triggers, is."

(OOC: Keronians, it was Rowan that provided the translations, not Alexandra. Alex only knows English and Fe'rœſ - she hasn't even learned Eireann Fae's national language of Gaeilge yet [the lazy, lazy girl!]. :-)

Apologies, Rowan. I sometimes confuse you because of how many freaking people you are!
Proud Indian. Spanish citizen. European federalist.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade
· Exchange of goods and services
· Free formation of prices

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

This is a capitalist model.

Darenjo
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Darenjo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:11 pm

Keronians wrote:
Darenjo wrote:
Dr. Park, hoping to be a bit more civil than Dr. Castro, responds:

"I will admit to misreading the proposal. However, we still must oppose this on the grounds that it renders conscription redundant and painfully bureaucratic. Darenjo has no draft at the current time, but we reserve the right to create one and must respect the wishes of those nations that already need one."

@Keronians - I don't know about French or Hindi, but here's the Spanish:

No. Hay. Un. Prohibición. En. Servicio militar obligatorio.

Not half-bad Spanish, actually. Good job.

Alexandra, some good skills there. I think I'll use that in my report to my superiors. I myself am not as fluent in French as I am in English and Spanish.

Hindi, anyone?

OOC: I'm in Spanish II at my high school.

French I have no idea. I know it's closely related to Spanish but it looks a lot different.

As to Hindi - it has a different alphabet structure than other languages, looking and sounding more similar to Arabic, Farsi, and even Chinese than any "Western" language. I would use Google Translate (which, admittedly, I had to use for the word "conscription"), but the program tends to mess up sentences if you get past the basic subject+verb+modifier type of sentence. Since HIndi doesn't share the Roman alphabet, it would be impossible to catch an error, so I don't think many are willing to try.

EDIT: (IC) Did anyone find out what happened to Episky?
Last edited by Darenjo on Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Park Si-Jung, Ambassador to the World Assembly for The People's Democracy of Darenjo

Proud Member of Eastern Islands of Dharma!

Eireann Fae
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:24 pm

Darenjo wrote:EDIT: (IC) Did anyone find out what happened to Episky?

One of the two Faeries present, the dark golden one as opposed to the blue Faerie, looks up. "Œfœ'þelö. Köböʃin." Rowan shrugs.

(OOC: She had a conspicuous absence, but is back [and spelled 'Epiſkœ' now, in-line with the Faerie alphabet]. Originally she was going to get the Fae Omega [to break out a bar fight that had almost put Rowan in danger], but that pseudo-RP fizzled. As it is now, she was gone for several days after Rowan [and Eireann Fae proper] returned to the World Assembly, but hasn't even told Rowan why. The text above says "I will tell. Not now." - it should be noted that she used the 'distant future' tense of "tell" [the -lö suffix in þel, as opposed to -lü]; even I'm not sure when she will say. I'll come up with something good eventually, and work it into a debate or something. She's here now, though, alongside Melöʃina. I should use them more, but I'm lazy :-)

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Founded: Nov 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:34 pm

OOC: i'm indian, and i speak some hindi. i can tell you what i want to eat. i can't translate this. sorry.
Member of The South and Osiris
Representing Mahaj in the World Assembly.
The Mahaj Factbook.

Author of Missing Minors Act (Repealed) and In Regards to Cloning
Mike the Progressive wrote:
Brogavia wrote:Fuck bitches, get money.
You shall be my god.

Georgism wrote:Fuck off you cunt, I'm always nice.

NERVUN wrote:Yog zap!

Cool Egg Sandwich wrote:I am the Urinater..... I'll be back.

Jedi Utopians wrote:5) Now, saying that a nation couldn't be part of OPEC would be bold. AIPEC sounds like something you'd want to get checked out by a physician for.

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:12 pm

Eireann Fae wrote:As Alexandra mumbles a few more words to make sure she can still form all her languages' phonemes, Rowan addresses the Kriovan Ambassador. "Have you considered that we find such charges of deceit so insulting as to not merit a more civilized response? If you have a problem with the text of the resolution, please state specifically what your problem is. If it is something we can work with you on, we will do it. It is true that we are here to push an agenda, of course, as is every other Delegate who ever passed a law through these hallowed halls. That does not mean, however, that there is no room for compromise in our proposal. We even attempted to work with Ambassador Heir and his ridiculous claim that surgeons would simply drop the scalpel in the middle of an operation. We are not being deceptive here, Ambassador. If something in our resolution requires clarification, let us know so we may affect the appropriate changes."

Then don't claim that this doesn't affect member states' military readiness when several delegations have indicated how it would. If accusations of deceit are not to your liking, I would suggest ending this deceit, whether it is intentional or due to willful opposition to acknowledging it as such. This proposal is too broad, affects things it shouldn't, and it is this way because you don't want to address the issue of conscription directly.

"If a judge does not wish to pass judgement on others, he is free to find a more suitable position for his persona. Like I said before, there will always be someone willing to get into law enforcement. There will not be a sudden shortage of Justices if we merely stop governments from forcing people to do the jobs. Similarly, if teachers do not wish to assign homework, they should seek a different profession. And for the record you are addressing a ten year old girl. What makes you think I want to force homework on poor, unsuspecting children?"

So they should be required to find different professions? This proposal would prevent those already in those positions from being forced out. Our entire point during this conscription debate, now here, is that many people would choose to abuse the system given half a chance. Your proposal hands them more than enough room to challenge any efforts to actually make them do the jobs they signed up to do, let alone those compelled to aid in the national defense. And I don't give a damn who I'm addressing - either you're qualified to be here or you're not - and children are hardly "unsuspecting" of homework beyond the age of six or seven, at least in Krioval.

"It is not our intention to protect conscientious objectors - why should only those in the military enjoy the freedom to not cast harm upon a fellow being? It is our intention to protect everybody, on an individual level. If your nation is so unstable that you require conscription, it is our suggestion that you look to the real cause of your misfortune and seek to remedy the situation in a real and meaningful way, not force your citizens to take up arms and kill for your cause-of-the-week. And as you can see, we are not content to 'sit here and pout'. Dr. Castro's comments merit no further response. Yours, clearly, did, and we have provided said response. And we will continue to respond to all objections, so long as there is at least some semblance of civility in the voiced opposition."

Well, I've heard it all. I hope that delegates here are taking transcription. If you are invaded by a larger force without provocation, it's entirely your fault. Next up: are rape victims responsible for their "misfortune"? How about the murdered? Blaming the victim is ugly when reduced to its most basic components, isn't it? As for the tone of the debate, if you can't handle a little rough-and-tumble here, I'd suggest leaving, rather than sticking out tongues and throwing things. Hypocritical much - both in your statements here and in your lofty little legislation?

With regard to your education system not being compulsory, let me just say: it shows.

Henrik Søgård
Imperial Chiefdom of Krioval

Eireann Fae
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:35 pm

The elder girl rises to address the Kriovan Ambassador.

Krioval wrote:Then don't claim that this doesn't affect member states' military readiness when several delegations have indicated how it would. If accusations of deceit are not to your liking, I would suggest ending this deceit, whether it is intentional or due to willful opposition to acknowledging it as such. This proposal is too broad, affects things it shouldn't, and it is this way because you don't want to address the issue of conscription directly.

"We never once said this wouldn't effect military readiness. We said it wouldn't ban conscription. Which it doesn't. It may have a detrimental effect on your trigger-men - we don't care. We never pretended to care. But this proposal ain't about conscription; not directly. Blah blah, support personnel, blah. Conscription is not banned. Forcing people to kill is."

Krioval wrote:So they should be required to find different professions? This proposal would prevent those already in those positions from being forced out. Our entire point during this conscription debate, now here, is that many people would choose to abuse the system given half a chance. Your proposal hands them more than enough room to challenge any efforts to actually make them do the jobs they signed up to do, let alone those compelled to aid in the national defense. And I don't give a damn who I'm addressing - either you're qualified to be here or you're not - and children are hardly "unsuspecting" of homework beyond the age of six or seven, at least in Krioval.

"Yes, they bloody well should be required to find different professions. If Rowan, for whatever reason, refused to translate for French-speaking diplomats, she would not be called upon to handle said diplomats. If a judge or teacher cannot perform their jobs properly, they can find other work in the field, or other work entirely. Terminating the employment of a person not doing their job is neither 'persecution' nor 'prosecution', Ambassador, and while some could argue it to be a 'punishment', I would disagree. An employee and employer enter into a contract. If the employee violates the terms of that contract, by not performing the work mandated by the employer, the contract ends - along with the employment. I get the impression you think people couldn't be fired for not performing their jobs under this law. You would be mistaken."

Krioval wrote:Well, I've heard it all. I hope that delegates here are taking transcription. If you are invaded by a larger force without provocation, it's entirely your fault. Next up: are rape victims responsible for their "misfortune"? How about the murdered? Blaming the victim is ugly when reduced to its most basic components, isn't it? As for the tone of the debate, if you can't handle a little rough-and-tumble here, I'd suggest leaving, rather than sticking out tongues and throwing things. Hypocritical much - both in your statements here and in your lofty little legislation?

"If you are invaded by a larger force, without provocation, and your citizens refuse to take up arms in defense of your nation - if they would rather die for their cause than kill for yours - I would say you did something wrong, yes. Drawing parallels between pacifism and rapists and murderers is amusing and all, but you seem to be missing the point, nevermind failing to make one of your own. Your people are free to fight for you as much as they want. They just shouldn't have to. As to the tone of the debate, Dr. Castro's comments did nothing to further said debate. We are here to pass legislation, Ambassador. Not insult each other. Rowan and I have been through many 'rough-and-tumble' debates, and I assure you, we will be around for many more. Keep in mind that I'm only here because Eireann Fae officially left the WA. Imagine what would come if we did the same again..."

"And if you will notice, neither Faerie present asked me to throw the knife. I did that of my own accord, which I could still do under the terms of this resolution."

Krioval wrote:With regard to your education system not being compulsory, let me just say: it shows.

Rowan speaks up, quietly. "Such words from such a man matter little." Alexandra sticks out her tongue at Ambassador Søgård, and takes her seat.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:54 pm

Krioval wrote:With regard to your education system not being compulsory, let me just say: it shows.

That's rather uncalled for.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Burninati0n
Envoy

Founded: Oct 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Burninati0n » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:37 pm

<Deleted.>
Last edited by Burninati0n on Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Krioval
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:48 pm

Linux and the X wrote:

That's rather uncalled for.

What's uncalled for is attempting to undermine nations' defenses and pretending that you aren't. And frankly, if somebody is going to talk about how wonderful their culture is while making jabs at mine, they shouldn't be stunned when they get a snarky response. Deal.

Henrik Søgård

Krioval
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:51 pm

BURNINATI0N wrote:Here's the problem that the ambassadors from Krioval, Glen-Rhodes, and Burnination are facing. Despite your statement here being systematically torn to pieces in more than one way, and logically defeated here, you insist on repeating the same statement with little variation in wording. It's not valiant, it's stubborn and annoying.

I'll try this one more time. You think you're not 'banning conscription' because we can still conscript people to do non-combatant roles that are always swimming in volunteers anyway. However, you negate the effectiveness of the draft by removing the right of national governments to increase the size of their combat troops through a draft in a time of great national danger. This is an unprecedented move against national sovereignty, it puts WA nations at great risk of military defeat, and it's unlikely to find much support anywhere outside your own inner circle.

The bottom line is, if you're not willing to compromise, or even have a straight discussion about the topic without telling us that you 'don't care' about our problems, you're never going to receive the support of the delegates you're stepping on. You'll never improve your draft from your original writing, and you'll probably never get enough approvals to send it to vote.

This is all fine by us; it just seems a little self-defeating.

Thank you! I am so tired of all the "critique my proposal" statements that are followed with nothing but recrimination for those who are actually critical. Being told that I'm misreading something when I'm showing a huge loophole is right up there with plugging one's ears and singing loudly so as to not have to acknowledge the situation. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees this problem.

Henrik Søgård

Rawrgirnia
Attaché

Founded: Aug 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Rawrgirnia » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:06 pm

Curtis rises to address the Eireann Fae ambassadors. "This has the full support of the people of Rawrgirnia. Some other ambassadors may be choosing to present this in dishonest ways, but it is clear that this proposal goes a long way to protect the basic rights of citizens. Thank you for all you do."
Last edited by Rawrgirnia on Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quelesh
Minister

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:45 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Quelesh wrote:If a person doesn't object to causing harm, pain or death, then he or she can voluntarily serve in that capacity. A draft isn't a concern for someone who wants to be drafted and voluntarily agrees to fight.

Who says that they want to be drafted? Not everybody who is drafted is a CO. Yet, during periods without conscription, military manpower isn't as high as periods with conscription. Willingness to participate in war and wanting to participate in war are two distinct things.

If someone is willing to kill, then there is no need to force them to do so; simply asking will suffice. Under this proposal, nations could still force individuals to join the military, and nations could then ask those individuals to cause harm, pain or death, but could not compel them to do so. Those who are willing would, and those who are not would not.

Krioval wrote:Judges suddenly can claim that they can't be "forced" to adhere to sentencing guidelines because they don't want to "inflict pain".

As my colleagues from Eireann Fae have pointed out, if a judge is unwilling to impose a criminal sentence, a different judge can be found who is willing to do so. Judges shouldn't be compelled to adhere to sentencing guidelines anyway; mandatory minimum sentences are absurd and unjust.

Krioval wrote:Students could decide that doing their homework causes "harm", or teachers, bored by the grading, could decline to assign work for the same reason - and neither group is allowed to be "punished" for their actions.

Sure, that's true, and another teacher could be found that would be willing to assign homework. But why would you want to compel someone to do homework anyway? And how does that work? Do you arrest the student if she doesn't do her homework?

Mahaj WA Seat wrote:
ALSO REALIZING that there are those who do have such an objection,
Yes, some people are complete wusses

Not wanting to hurt or kill people makes one a wuss? Respecting life in all its forms and refusing to end that life makes one cowardly?
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Eireann Fae
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:08 am

Rawrgirnia wrote:Curtis rises to address the Eireann Fae ambassadors. "This has the full support of the people of Rawrgirnia. Some other ambassadors may be choosing to present this in dishonest ways, but it is clear that this proposal goes a long way to protect the basic rights of citizens. Thank you for all you do."

The girls, feeling the Ambassadors from Burnination and Krioval added nothing to the discussion, simply shrug at their 'arguments'. Both turn to Curtis as he speaks, though, smiling broadly. Rowan is the one to address him, "And thank you for your support." The two turn their attention to their Delegate as she speaks, appreciating Alexandria's support more than either of them can really show. Alexandra rises at the end of the woman's admonishment of the Mahajan Ambassador, and speaks, "Your support, of course, is always welcome as well, Delegate Yadoru. I'll totally never stab you again!" She winks as the girl besides her giggles, withdrawing her own rubber knife (that she thankfully had not thrown), and placing it on the table.

Quelesh
Minister

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:33 am

Eireann Fae wrote:
Rawrgirnia wrote:Curtis rises to address the Eireann Fae ambassadors. "This has the full support of the people of Rawrgirnia. Some other ambassadors may be choosing to present this in dishonest ways, but it is clear that this proposal goes a long way to protect the basic rights of citizens. Thank you for all you do."

The girls, feeling the Ambassadors from Burnination and Krioval added nothing to the discussion, simply shrug at their 'arguments'. Both turn to Curtis as he speaks, though, smiling broadly. Rowan is the one to address him, "And thank you for your support." The two turn their attention to their Delegate as she speaks, appreciating Alexandria's support more than either of them can really show. Alexandra rises at the end of the woman's admonishment of the Mahajan Ambassador, and speaks, "Your support, of course, is always welcome as well, Delegate Yadoru. I'll totally never stab you again!" She winks as the girl besides her giggles, withdrawing her own rubber knife (that she thankfully had not thrown), and placing it on the table.

I'm just grateful you used rubber knives. *Alexandria giggles along with the younger representative of the Fae, remembering that those knives kinda hurt, rubber or no*
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:51 am

Quelesh wrote:If someone is willing to kill, then there is no need to force them to do so; simply asking will suffice. Under this proposal, nations could still force individuals to join the military, and nations could then ask those individuals to cause harm, pain or death, but could not compel them to do so. Those who are willing would, and those who are not would not.

Says an aide, relaying information to and from Dr. B. over her cellphone, since he refuses to attend any debate on this proposal: If they didn't voluntarily join the military as a combat soldier, why would they volunteer to do to combat duties? I don't think you can possibly make this proposal reasonable.

- Dr. B., via an Aide
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Coxnord
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Coxnord » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:46 am

While The Holy Empire supports this proposal, we feel we need to ask: In what way does homework constitute harm?
His Imperial and Royal Highness Prince Christian of Anisia and Cunula, Duke of Penn
Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Holy Empire of Coxnord to the World Assembly

Nulono wrote:(to The Cat-Tribe) You are correct. My bad.

Embolalia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Embolalia » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:00 am

"1. No inhabitant of a member nation shall be compelled, for any reason, to inflict harm, pain or death on any other sentient being."
True, this doesn't ban conscription, per se. But after someone has already been conscripted and is serving in a combat role (to this point, nothing allows them to say no to that), when it comes time to obey an order to cause harm, pain, or death, they can disobey. There's no qualification on what the objection must be based on. "Johnson, take the bridge!" "No, thanks. I'd rather sit on my hands for now." Does it matter why? No. Not under this proposal. Under this, even in the middle of a warzone, "I don' wanna" is a good enough reason. Not, "I object to killing" or "I just can't kill anymore". Just, "eh, sun's in my eyes". So yes, it still technically allows for conscription. But it also undermines the ability of commanding officers to give orders to their subordinates, regardless of whether they were conscripted or not. (And before you start, 3 still would only make people harm of their own volition.)
Also, if someone objects to killing, a nation could ignore that fact and put them in a combat role, as long as no order is issued for them to harm anyone. Sure, you don't have to harm anyone. But you'll be in the battlefield. Have fun surviving without harming anyone. It's not a punishment; you're being treated the same as anyone else.

Oh, and you mean sapient. Unless you think nobody should be required to kill flies, though I certainly wouldn't put that past you.
Do unto others as you would have done unto you.
Bible quote? No, that's just common sense.
/ˌɛmboʊˈlɑːliːʌ/
The United Commonwealth of Embolalia

Gafin Gower, Prime minister
E. Rory Hywel, Ambassador to the World Assembly
Gwaredd LLwyd, Lieutenant Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author: GA#95, GA#107, GA#132, GA#185
Philimbesi wrote:Repeal, resign, or relax.

Embassy Exchange
EBC News
My mostly worthless blog
Economic Left/Right: -5.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
Liberal atheist bisexual, and proud of it.
@marcmack wrote:I believe we can build a better world! Of course, it'll take a whole lot of rock, water & dirt. Also, not sure where to put it."

Coxnord
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Coxnord » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:55 am

Embolalia wrote:"1. No inhabitant of a member nation shall be compelled, for any reason, to inflict harm, pain or death on any other sentient being."
True, this doesn't ban conscription, per se. But after someone has already been conscripted and is serving in a combat role (to this point, nothing allows them to say no to that), when it comes time to obey an order to cause harm, pain, or death, they can disobey. There's no qualification on what the objection must be based on. "Johnson, take the bridge!" "No, thanks. I'd rather sit on my hands for now." Does it matter why? No. Not under this proposal. Under this, even in the middle of a warzone, "I don' wanna" is a good enough reason. Not, "I object to killing" or "I just can't kill anymore". Just, "eh, sun's in my eyes". So yes, it still technically allows for conscription. But it also undermines the ability of commanding officers to give orders to their subordinates, regardless of whether they were conscripted or not. (And before you start, 3 still would only make people harm of their own volition.)
Also, if someone objects to killing, a nation could ignore that fact and put them in a combat role, as long as no order is issued for them to harm anyone. Sure, you don't have to harm anyone. But you'll be in the battlefield. Have fun surviving without harming anyone. It's not a punishment; you're being treated the same as anyone else.

Oh, and you mean sapient. Unless you think nobody should be required to kill flies, though I certainly wouldn't put that past you.

The Holy Empire suggests conscripting and/or employing personnel that is competent, trained and eager to do what is asked of them. If such persons cannot be found within a nation, we suggest an overhaul of the education system.
His Imperial and Royal Highness Prince Christian of Anisia and Cunula, Duke of Penn
Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Holy Empire of Coxnord to the World Assembly

Nulono wrote:(to The Cat-Tribe) You are correct. My bad.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly