NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Repeal GAR #116, Nuclear Waste Safety Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Atomic Utopia
Minister

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Repeal GAR #116, Nuclear Waste Safety Act

Postby Atomic Utopia » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:42 pm

Personally I feel that this repeal layout is a bit short, and I would like advice on how to better organize it so that the repeal is more persuasive and logical. I do intend to do a repeal and replace, so I am currently writing up a replacement and will not submit this until a reasonable replacement is in order. So here is to draft I:

General Assembly Repeal
Repeal GAR #116
Proposed by: Atomic Utopia

Whereas, the intent of GAR #116 to protect the environment was noble ,and

Whereas, GAR# 116 failed to regulate nuclear waste disposal nationally, while making international recycling impossible, and

Whereas, it would be advisable to note that this failure causes GAR #116 to actually damage the goals it set out to protect, and

Whereas, it is impossible to replace it with something more capable as long as it remains,

The General Assembly of the W.A.

Hereby repeals GAR #116, Nuclear Waste Safety Act.

0.0.1 Released for review.

Forum: General Assembly
Topic: Passed General Assembly Resolutions
Replies: 386
Views: 315313
World Assembly Resolution #116
Nuclear Waste Safety Act
A resolution to improve world security by boosting police and military budgets.

Category: International Security
Strength: Significant
Proposed by: Erythrina

Description: This World Assembly,

Noting many nations depend on nuclear fuel in order to maintain a reliable energy source,

Further noting the residues of nuclear fuel can, if poorly managed, create long-term contaminated, radioactive areas, resulting in birth defects, injuries, death; or fall into the hands of terrorists who seek to steal these residues for the manufacture of nuclear weapons and "dirty bombs";

Recognizing nations are sovereign to dispose of those residues as stated by national law, even if it means shipping nuclear waste to willing nations;

Further recognizing other nations are also sovereign to accept those residues, often in exchange for monetary compensation;

Concerned that underdeveloped nations accept nuclear waste without due safety guarantees or even basic handling knowledge, putting in danger the lives of individuals;

Enacts that the international transfer of nuclear waste must be governed in a way no sovereign country is exploited. To that end:

Affirms that the responsibility over nuclear waste belongs to both the sender and recipient nations.

The sender must assess and guarantee that the recipient has all the necessary structures so that the waste shall never leak, be stolen, or otherwise diverted from perpetual storage.

The recipient shall ask for transfer of technology so as to fulfill the requirements above. The sender shall comply as long as said transfer does not breach the sender’s national security. Should the sender be a nation that is not a WA member, but the waste also was (in whole or part) processed, produced or transported by any WA member, that member or members also shall be responsible for all the duties mentioned above.

If the recipient, for any reason, is unable to prove it has all the necessary structure so that international nuclear waste shall never leak, be stolen, or otherwise diverted from perpetual storage, that nation shall be forbidden to receive international waste.

Recipients of international nuclear waste also shall never place nuclear waste storage facilities near water sources, urban centers, areas with seismic activity, wildlife sanctuaries, international borders.

Be it clarified: this act in no way whatsoever affects what a sovereign nation can or cannot do, within its borders, with nuclear waste produced inside its borders.

Q&A
Why repeal GAR #116?
Well, the reason is twofold. First and formeost, the legislation all but outlaws transferring nuclear waste between nations as the waste must never be "diverted from perpetual storage". This means that nuclear waste cannot be removed even if it has decayed to levels that are harmless, as occurs on a quick basis with short lived radioactive material. It also in no way requires that member states deal with nuclear waste in a safe and reasonable manner assuming it is their own nuclear waste and is stored in their own borders.

What is so bad about not regulating domestic nuclear waste in the borders of a nation?
The key problem is that, like with any other form of waste, nuclear waste can leak and cause damage to others outside the borders of the respective nation. This obviously is a problem that must be addressed with full and comprehensive legislation with requirements equal to that of the requirements for transferring nuclear waste. And while GAR #116 alone does not prevent that, a combined national-international nuclear waste storage act would be preferable to holding national and international nuclear waste storage to two different standards when both face the same problems.

Why is it a problem that nuclear waste cannot be transferred between nations?
It is a problem because some nations can recycle nuclear waste and are willing to do so, so to them the transfer is an obvious benefit with almost no trade-offs. Multiple small nations might also want to send their spent fuel to a larger country to be recycled into new fuel as they only need a few reactors and a full scale reprocessing facility would cost too much. But due to GAR #116 excessive restrictions are levied against those that might accept nuclear waste and recycle it for profit are such that it makes that endeavor all but impossible, while no restrictions are applied to those that produce that nuclear waste domestically, in fact domestic nuclear waste can be disposed of even in unsafe and dangerous manners.

If you would like to ask any other questions pertaining to the concept behind this repeal, please TG me or simply post in this thread.
Last edited by Atomic Utopia on Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fabulously bisexual.
Note: I do not use NS stats for my RP, instead I use numbers I made up one evening when writing my factbooks.

sudo rm -rf /, the best file compression around.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:50 am

OOC: I would suggest putting your draft first, Q&A after. And also include either the text of the target resolution or a link to it.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Atomic Utopia
Minister

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Atomic Utopia » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:41 pm

Araraukar wrote:OOC: I would suggest putting your draft first, Q&A after. And also include either the text of the target resolution or a link to it.

OOC: So, do you have any strong feelings on the repeal concept itself, or any ideas on how the argument could be improved?
Last edited by Atomic Utopia on Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fabulously bisexual.
Note: I do not use NS stats for my RP, instead I use numbers I made up one evening when writing my factbooks.

sudo rm -rf /, the best file compression around.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:51 pm

You've got to win the link between why national non-regulation means international shipment is categorically impossible.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:50 am

"The government that I represent here is potentially willing to support this repeal, but would really like to see a suitable replacement drafted and ready for submission too before this reaches the floor."

Artorrios o SouthWoods,
ChairBear, Bears Armed Mission at the World Assembly.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Return to General Assembly