NATION

PASSWORD

Melee Weapons: Which to pick ?

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]
Dalvius
Minister

Founded: Jan 31, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dalvius » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:52 am

If it had to be short range, a Roman gladius or a Japanese katana would be my choices. The katana was actually created for murder, so I'd probably use that.

As for long range, I'd have to pick between a composite bow and a sling. The armor I would have to choose would be either of Roman or medieval knight make.
Liriena wrote:Eve was a feminazi and Adam was her cuck.
Neolvex, UIJ, Indo-Japanese Separatist Districts, Lazurania, Silverakia, and Neonymphonia

#FreeRIG

Chinese Peoples
Minister

Founded: Dec 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Peoples » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:29 am

I recommend the Kara-tachi.

it's just like a katana but not curved, produced in an age when "Made in China" was a sign of unparalleled quality and technology. :p

http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/karatachi.jpg
IC Title: the Republic of China | MT | Factbooks | the only democratic China on NS
The duty of the state is to prevent danger, not to punish it after it has happened. Rescind the 2nd Amendment, today.

La Cosa Fedora
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby La Cosa Fedora » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:56 pm

Do you want your people to fight as infantry or cavalry? What formations would you use?

I would recommend the Roman legion with the weapons of the Roman legion for infantry such as gladius and pilum. After all, it is a tried and true arrangement that had lots of military success.For cavalry, go for cataphracts or knights.

Also if we are discussing all pre-gunpowder weapons and not just melee, just use Mongol-style horse archers. The most successful conquerors of all time. Other empires like the Romans and the British had political and economic power, but the Mongols got great results with, let's face it, mediocre political and economic systems, as the key to their success was their military power.

Katanas are cool but I wonder how they fare against actual high-quality armor, or against formations like the ones used by Roman legionaires.

So for best army, I would say Roman legion infantry, cataphract heavy cavalry, lots of Mongols, and maybe an elite highly mobile katana wielders who move mounted but fight as infantry.
Ask us anything!

Join MENINFORM today! Or that's not your style, issue a formal condemnation!

Our state, the League of the Six Free Peoples, is actually controlled by a cartel of neckbeards known as La Cosa Fedora. Members of the cartel are known as Honorable Gentlesirs. Citizens who are not members are known as normies.

Our armed forces are armies of the radicalized romanceless.

Do you fear us yet? If not, have some anti-neckbeard propaganda!

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:04 pm

Pikes, pikes and some more pikes.

Possibly with a minor sprinkling of halberd, bills and zweihanders/great swords.

Side arms could be any flavour the user wanted but for cultural reasons would tend towards typical 15th century side swords.

Some light plate is probably worn but brigandines and Jacks would be more common due to a large focus on the speed and maneuverability of the pike blocks. Ain't no front rank of heavily armoured nobles going to slow down the Crookfur pike juggernaut. Said nobles can cover the flanks and carry out a final charge on horseback to make them feel important.

One thing to correct in the OP: a full plate harness could be and indeed was routinely used for fighting on foot, see the 100years war and the wars of the Roses.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Return to Factbooks and National Information