NATION

PASSWORD

My tax has risen up to 64% from 5% overnight!

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
World Nature
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

My tax has risen up to 64% from 5% overnight!

Postby World Nature » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:46 pm

http://broomdces.com/nseconomy/nations. ... d%20Nature (now) it says 5%, which is yesterday's stat.

Today, after completing 3 issues, my tax skyrocketed!

• 3 minutes ago: Following new legislation in World Nature, major cities shut down as their local sports team takes to the field every day.
  • 4 minutes ago: Following new legislation in World Nature, all major public areas are watched by police surveillance cameras.
  • 6 minutes ago: Following new legislation in World Nature, the Finance Ministry posts hourly updates on where taxpayer money is spent.

There is bug!

I've been working on this nation trying to achieve utopia, 100% government spending to GDP with low tax rates. Now everything is spoiled! :o
Last edited by World Nature on Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:48 pm

This has happened to you before.

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=worl ... ensusid=49

What did you do last time to fix it?

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:55 pm

Congratulations! Taxes are good in NationStates, so this shows that you're improving.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:37 am

Trotterdam wrote:Congratulations! Taxes are good in NationStates, so this shows that you're improving.

What are these "taxes" of which you speak?
:roll:
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:13 am

That is actually a bit odd how that happened, but you can always get your taxes down by answering issues.

Trotterdam wrote:Congratulations! Taxes are good in NationStates, so this shows that you're improving.
Taxation is theft. ;)
See You Space Cowboy...

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:32 pm

This is an interesting nation. You have a small government and no industry. The model has difficulty figuring out what your taxes should be because on the one hand, your government doesn't need much revenue, but on the other, there's no industry to raise it from. Your taxes have leaped around as you switch between having no industry at all and having a little industry.

I need to test this more.

World Nature
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby World Nature » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:50 pm

Othelos wrote:This has happened to you before.

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=worl ... ensusid=49

What did you do last time to fix it?

Drasnia wrote:That is actually a bit odd how that happened, but you can always get your taxes down by answering issues.

Nonono, this is different from the past. In the past, my tax rate may be low probably because it was capitalism with minimal spending. After months of fixing my nation, I managed to transform it into somewhat communism, and I'm still trying to suppress the tax rate all the way to 0% to make it true communism.
This nation is also not rubbish. It has very good stats, like weather, cheerfulness, lifespan, etc.

[violet] wrote:This is an interesting nation. You have a small government and no industry. The model has difficulty figuring out what your taxes should be because on the one hand, your government doesn't need much revenue, but on the other, there's no industry to raise it from. Your taxes have leaped around as you switch between having no industry at all and having a little industry.

I need to test this more.

Thanks for the response! So should I refrain from doing anything with this nation until it's sorted? I really hope things to be restored, 100% govt spending in GDP and low tax rate. It isn't easy to achieve this considering this game is biased to capitalism.
Last edited by World Nature on Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:29 am

World Nature wrote:This nation is also not rubbish. It has very good stats, like weather, cheerfulness, lifespan, etc.
Also Crime and Ignorance and Primitiveness.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:01 pm

World Nature wrote:So should I refrain from doing anything with this nation until it's sorted? I really hope things to be restored, 100% govt spending in GDP and low tax rate.

You can continue to play as you like. The issue is in the tax algorithm, which is derived, not your stats, so any fix will automatically affect you (and everyone else in the same situation), regardless of what you do in the meantime.

It requires some investigation because I'm not quite sure which is the bug: the low taxes or the high taxes. Your nation is in an unusual place in that it qualifies both as a small-government nation (which usually means low taxes) and a near-100% state-run economy (which usually means high taxes). I don't actually know what your people do with themselves, since they don't work for the government and they don't work for industry, either. Frolic in the forests?

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:19 pm

[violet] wrote:I don't actually know what your people do with themselves, since they don't work for the government and they don't work for industry, either. Frolic in the forests?
That nation has a relatively high Employment stat, though (75.95% Workforce Participation Rate, in the top 20% of the world), so they must be doing something.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:52 pm

That's mostly because it has outlawed capitalism, which usually boosts employment, as the state sets people to work on... whatever. Without that it would be around 61%.

World Nature
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby World Nature » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:03 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
[violet] wrote:I don't actually know what your people do with themselves, since they don't work for the government and they don't work for industry, either. Frolic in the forests?
That nation has a relatively high Employment stat, though (75.95% Workforce Participation Rate, in the top 20% of the world), so they must be doing something.

This is what we call communism. Mwahahaha
[violet] wrote:That's mostly because it has outlawed capitalism, which usually boosts employment, as the state sets people to work on... whatever. Without that it would be around 61%.

This game has no logic. Even though capitalism is outlawed, I can select capitalism's policies and enjoy capitalism benefits without being a capitalist state. For instance, I can allow employers to fire anyone and abolish union (which increases economic freedom) even though there are no private enterprises here, and get the benefit of capitalism -- employment
Same goes for tax rate. If I want to lower down my tax rates, I just need to select policies that sponsor me to complete something, and I can get the benefit plus the deduction of tax. For example, my country can get free space research worth of billions of dollars simply by opting in for private's sponsorship (if I remember correctly).

As to cool stats, all I need to do is to bash capitalism like beasts by putting punitive policies like environmental friendly, minimum wage, safety measures, etc.

By the way Violet, when it's fixed, my tax rate will return back to the old rate right? Mine rose to 64% from 5%. Now my tax rate is 49%. So when it's fixed, my nation will be tax-free right?

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:50 am

World Nature wrote:
By the way Violet, when it's fixed, my tax rate will return back to the old rate right? Mine rose to 64% from 5%. Now my tax rate is 49%. So when it's fixed, my nation will be tax-free right?

Tax changes are mostly proportional, so if you get a fix I'd expect you to end up at 3-4%.
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
The Blaatschapen wrote:I'll still graze the forums with my presence
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:45 pm

World Nature wrote:Even though capitalism is outlawed, I can select capitalism's policies and enjoy capitalism benefits without being a capitalist state. For instance, I can allow employers to fire anyone and abolish union (which increases economic freedom) even though there are no private enterprises here

Please report things like this in the Help us fix old issues thread!

We don't force a single idea of communism (or any -ism), so having a state-run economy won't prevent you from being offered capitalist-like elements. But if there are blatant contradictions, we can fix them.

World Nature wrote:By the way Violet, when it's fixed, my tax rate will return back to the old rate right? Mine rose to 64% from 5%. Now my tax rate is 49%. So when it's fixed, my nation will be tax-free right?

No. I need to investigate further, but at this point I suspect the low tax rates were the bug, not the high tax rates. You may wind up somewhere in the middle.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical