NATION

PASSWORD

Buddhism Values with Christianity?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Katareinya
Attaché

Founded: Mar 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Katareinya » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:35 am

Ora Amaris wrote:I find Christianity and Buddhism incompatible. Though I recall reading a book about Jesus travelling to the Orient, and studying there with the Buddhist monks. I think though today's Christianity is quite incompatible with any other religion, because most of the monotheistic religions are mutually exclusive.

I myself am a Pagan, with great respect for the eastern religions. But I don't think that monotheistic religions are compatible with polytheistic ones.

Buddhism isn't a polytheistic religion. It actually lacks deities.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:41 am

I don't see what the problem is really, view Buddha in the same way many Deists view Jesus, as a Moral Philosopher.
Now I personally don't see any evidence that he even existed in the first place but thats just me.

Imsogone
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Imsogone » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:51 pm

Istrien wrote:I see no harm in borrowing from other religions if it helps to make you a better person.

Given that Christianity has borrowed from every religion that it's ever encountered, it would be rather silly to object.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly" - Morticia Adams.

Spiral Sun
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Spiral Sun » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:16 am

Katareinya wrote:
Ora Amaris wrote:I find Christianity and Buddhism incompatible. Though I recall reading a book about Jesus travelling to the Orient, and studying there with the Buddhist monks. I think though today's Christianity is quite incompatible with any other religion, because most of the monotheistic religions are mutually exclusive.

I myself am a Pagan, with great respect for the eastern religions. But I don't think that monotheistic religions are compatible with polytheistic ones.

Buddhism isn't a polytheistic religion. It actually lacks deities.

They have some. They help Buddha apparently.
You're so nice.
You're not good,
You're not bad,
You're just nice.
I'm not good,
I'm not nice,
I'm just right.
The Witch, Into the Woods

Spiral Sun
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Spiral Sun » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:18 am

Imsogone wrote:
Istrien wrote:I see no harm in borrowing from other religions if it helps to make you a better person.

Given that Christianity has borrowed from every religion that it's ever encountered, it would be rather silly to object.

No, local groups kept references or customs as it was tradition, though they never changed the Bible.
You're so nice.
You're not good,
You're not bad,
You're just nice.
I'm not good,
I'm not nice,
I'm just right.

Kleomentia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kleomentia » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:21 am

What i like about Buddhism is the idea of reincarnation. It seems most possible.
NSG's God of Derp and Randomness, Monarchist&Capitalist and a patriotic Christian Serb
Also, wubwubwubwubwubwubWUBwubwubwubwubwubwub...

"In this primitive world of greed and stupidity, peace can only be achieved through fear, a brute military force which will unite the world under one flag!"
"We know nothing, but wish to do everything."
"Kosovo is Serbia! Failing to acknowledge that either proves your ignorance or lack of education."
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
Galenaima wrote:
BLASPHEMY! THERE HE IS! IMMA CUMMIN' JESUS!!!

*jumps out window*

I'm quite sure Jesus didn't wish to know that.
National Information
Join Slavya!

Spiral Sun
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Spiral Sun » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:22 am

Kleomentia wrote:What i like about Buddhism is the idea of reincarnation. It seems most possible.

There is however the issue of them trying to prevent it from happening and to basically obliterate their souls.
You're so nice.
You're not good,
You're not bad,
You're just nice.
I'm not good,
I'm not nice,
I'm just right.

Xairectium
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Xairectium » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:25 am

Inexplicability wrote:I can't imagine God condemning you for working towards being a better person.

Shirley Phelps disagrees.

Kleomentia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kleomentia » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:25 am

Spiral Sun wrote:
Kleomentia wrote:What i like about Buddhism is the idea of reincarnation. It seems most possible.

There is however the issue of them trying to prevent it from happening and to basically obliterate their souls.

That's strange, why would they want that?
NSG's God of Derp and Randomness, Monarchist&Capitalist and a patriotic Christian Serb

"In this primitive world of greed and stupidity, peace can only be achieved through fear, a brute military force which will unite the world under one flag!"
"Kosovo is Serbia! Failing to acknowledge that either proves your ignorance or lack of education."
Galenaima wrote:

*jumps out window*

National Information
Join Slavya!

Spiral Sun
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Spiral Sun » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:33 am

Kleomentia wrote:
Spiral Sun wrote:There is however the issue of them trying to prevent it from happening and to basically obliterate their souls.

That's strange, why would they want that?

Something about existance being suffering.
You're so nice.
You're not good,
You're not bad,
You're just nice.
I'm not good,
I'm not nice,
I'm just right.

Kleomentia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kleomentia » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:34 am

Spiral Sun wrote:
Kleomentia wrote:That's strange, why would they want that?

Something about existance being suffering.

Oh, i see. Sorry Buddhists but that's just fucking stupid.

Galenaima wrote:

*jumps out window*

National Information
Join Slavya!

Astazia
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Astazia » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:23 am

Wilfred Test wrote:I am a strong Christian, and I have learnt quite a bit about Buddhism and I completely admire its peace and high treatment of wisdom, so much that I am considering taking the guidelines of wisdom (Think Clearly, Speak Clearly etc.), peace and open-mindedness, and putting them into my Christian life.

The only problem I can think of is the First Commandment. (Thou shalt have no other gods before me.), but Buddhism is strange in its lack of a deity, besides maybe Buddha as a teacher, but I'm not gonna start putting Buddha statues around my house. (Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God.) I'm just going to take wisdom and peace.

So, the Christians of NSG, is taking wisdom and peace from the teachings of another religion okay, or is it not? I think that as long as you don't start worshipping their god, or in this case Buddha, learning from other religions is fine, but I just wanted to hear your opinion.

I would say it is best to have an open mind and accept wisdom from many different places. If you are Christian, and want to take some teachings from Buddhism to apply to your life, I would say go for it. As for the whole statute thing, bowing down to a statute is actually us showing gratitute and respect for the Buddha's teachings, not actual worship. But if you are not comfortable with having a buddha statute in your home, that is perfectly fine. The important thing here is to take wisdom and teachings from different sources, and use them to become better than you were before.

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:33 am

That's a lot of ex-nations.
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General