NATION

PASSWORD

CORNELLIAN EMPIRE NEWS (closed, Region Only)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:48 am

Violence in Ashab Escalates, Civil War Erupts

In the first few days since violence was first reported in the capital city of Tarnum, the fighting in Ashab continues to escalate. The fighting was first reported by Adiran embassy in Tarnum, claiming the capital had suffered a massive artillery and air attack. Firsthand accounts have now confirmed that the airport is beyond repair, with additional reports stating that the city's industrial areas, power plants, and water treatment has been damaged or destroyed as well. The city is currently without power, and several civilian districts of the city have been damaged as well. It is currently unknown if the residential areas were deliberately targeted or not.

Since the attack, the Adiran embassy received a communique from the Anjideen government claiming that multiple army and air units have begun an open rebellion in the northwest, launching what was apparently a surprise attack on the capital and presumably other parts of Ashab. Witnesses in Tarnum describe a sizable air battle taking place in the skies above, with surface-to-air missiles being launched and also coming under attack.

Patriarch Gehtas Kurain released an online statement claiming responsibility for the attack and amounting to a declaration of war by the Theology Council. Sectarian tensions have risen sharply in the wake of the Anjideen government conducting airstrikes against what it claimed were insurgent strongholds in Saksem, resulting in a number of civilian deaths and inflaming Ashab's Catholic population. Capitalizing on discontent within the Ashabi military, Kurain released the following statement online:

(A link to Kurain's video is embedded in the news post, with the following shown in full)

"Thirty-seven years ago the infidel Adid Sararik, may he burn in hell for eternity, stole power from this country's rightful rulers. Ashab is meant to be a Catholic nation. Faithful to Lord and Savior. It is time to rise up. To bring God back to Ashab. We will purge the nation of the Republicans. The usurpers! Make no mistake my fellow Ashabis, President Anjideen is the devil's man. We will purge the country of the true infidel that he gives aid and comfort. The heathen Intaki refuse to see the light of God. Instead they choose to live in sin, fornicating with each other and worshiping idols. Princess Anora Kador, we shall burn her at the stake for the witch she is. This taint upon our beautiful land cannot be tolerated. As the Lord's vessel on Earth, I hereby declare a Crusade against evil. As God's instrument, I have appointed the pious General Juber Shada to lead our holy warriors into battle. To kill an infidel is not murder. Tis the path to Heaven!"

The government has only today given any hint at its course of action. In Question Time today, Populist Assemblyman Katzman put it to the President directly apparently on behalf of the Ashabi expat community. Claiming to have received a number of inquiries in the immigrant communities where he campaigned, Katzman put the question to his own coalition.

"Both Catholics and Intaki fear widespread persecution and possibly genocide if given the opportunity. President Anjideen has carried out airstrikes in Catholic areas and suppressed the church for decades, and we've all likely seen Patriarch Kurain's statement calling for a purge of the Intaki. Given the potential for loss of life and a humanitarian disaster, what does the government plan to do about the fighting in Ashab?"

"First off, I do sympathize with the Ashabi people caught up in circumstances beyond their control, and I can say this government will not stand by and be party to genocide or ethnic cleansing. I've instructed the State Department to develop a plan by which Adiron will provide assistance to victims of persecution in Ashab, regardless of faith or political beliefs. This would likely be through our embassy and local consulates, who could assist such individuals in applying for refugee status and eventually evacuating them. In this manner, this government will be able to stay appraised of the situation and form the foundation for a formal investigation into war crimes, genocide, or other atrocities," President DeGroot replied.

Opposition Leader Saito then attempted to chime in. "Mr. President, do you not think this will put State Department personnel in unnecessary danger? Shouldn't these consulates be closed?"

"Due to the sudden outbreak of hostilities, Opposition Leader, it is the State Department's position that attempting to evacuate them immediately without adequate intelligence and in the midst of open hostilities would put our people in far greater danger. There are also a number of Adiran nationals still in Ashab, and consulates could offer them a port in the storm. This way they may still do some good even if they are trapped," the President explained.

"Does the President therefore plan on supporting the internationally-recognized Anjideen government in ending the rebellion by the Theology Council? Wouldn't ending the war do more good?" asked Growth Assemblyman Farr.

"With a lack of intelligence on the ground and a complex, volatile nation such as Ashab, the worst thing we can do is rush headlong into things without a plan. We know next to nothing other than that the Anjideen regime has come under heavy attack by the Theology Council across the nation. This government must always act in the Adiran national interest. Right now in Ashab, our interest is getting our people home and trying to protect the most vulnerable Ashabis in any way we can. After all, as Assemblyman Katzman highlighted, civilian populations on both sides of the conflict are currently at risk in Ashab."
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:12 pm

1 COPPER

THE FINEBERG TIMES

CITY FINAL SATURDAY OCTOBER 30, 2015

Human Trafficking in Arcologia

by Annabelle Barca

VALINDA, Union of South Ceti
Following revelations published in the media of human trafficking in the Union of South Ceti, a government investigation by President Tolstoy has been stated to be in the works according to Undersecretary for Cornellian Affairs Basil Jerome. "Slavery remains a deplorable evil and a stain upon human history," said the undersecretary, "And this government is committed to ending it, as we demonstrated in Delvian States."

Human trafficking in Arcologia is almost certainly linked to piracy, drug trading and tribal warlordism in that failed state, and the Union is considered a government attempting to stem the tide of anarchy in the eyes of the Edomite government. Ambassador Benajmin Scroll has said that the government of the Union has a strong desire to see modernization prosperity and safety for all its people.

As the Pahath-Moab government had committed to earlier, the Constituional Monarchist government remains committed to fighting piracy and according to Admiral John Galt, Chief of Naval Staff, "We will hunt them down wherever they may lurk."

Good hunting indeed to the National Navy.

What's Halloween Without Vengeful Spirits And Mood Music?

editorial by Litotes the Clown
Here's a song to have on hand if you are asked for a 'Trick' before you get your 'Treat' at the door:
So it's Halloween
And you feel like dancin'
And you feel like shinin'
And you feel like letting loose

Whatcha gonna be
Babe, you better know
And you better plan
Better plan all day

Better plan all week
Better plan all month
Better plan all year

You're dressed up like a clown
Putting on your act
It's the only time all year
You'll ever admit that

I can see your eyes
I can see your brain
Baby nothing's changed
(repeat)

You're still hiding in a mask
You take your fun seriously
No, don't blow this year's chance
Tomorrow your mold goes back on

After Halloween

You go to work today
You'll go to work tomorrow
Shitfaced tonight
You'll brag about it for months

Remember what I did
Remember what I was
Back on Halloween

But what's in between
Where are your ideas
You sit around and dream
For next Halloween

Why not everyday
Are you so afraid
What will people say
(repeat)

After Halloween

Because your role is planned for you
There's nothing you can do
But stop and see it through
But what will your boss say to you

And what will your girlfriend say to you
And what will people out on the street they might glare at you
And whadya know, you're pretty self-conscious too

So you run back and stuff yourselves in rigid business costumes
Only at night to score is your leather uniform exhumed
Why don't you take your social regulations
And shove 'em up your ass.

Dead Kennedys, 1982. Halloween. Plastic Surgery Disasters

Dear Dr. Bonasentio

Dear Dr. Bonasentio,

I, my wife and kids are all very worried. Our dog, who is a beautiful Airedale just like the late President of the Council used to have (God rest their souls) has gone missing. We do not know where to look at all, but my son pointed out that there is a Hostillian family living across the street, and sometimes their barbecue smells a bit funny from there. Is it likely that they tole our dog to cook and eat it, and if so what should we do? My family are having arguments about whether or not to try to get them arrested. they also look guiilty, but that could just e because they are Hostillians.

Thanks,
Where's Fido

Dear Where's Fido
I did a little research on your behalf and found out that there is a registry for Hostllian citizens. I am sure that if you contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Justice they can help you find out about the family and whether or not they are notorious dog eaters. If so, then I encourage you to press criminal charges against them for theft and cruelty to animals.

And yes, most Hostllians do look guilty. They are a naturally sly race of people.
Sincerely,
Dr. Bonasentio
Last edited by New Edom on Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

24 Hour News Cycle

Postby Hittanryan » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:03 pm

Human Trafficking in Arcologia

(An animated graphic of the ANBC logo comes into view before cutting to a sleek modern set. A middle-aged news anchor in a suit is seen straightening some papers. Cut to the news anchor, who is seated before a window of the nighttime Puerto Rojas skyline)

Good evening, I'm Mark Townsend. Our first story tonight, in an open letter to the international community, the Folau Tribal Council in the North Arcologian Confederation has accused drug cartels within the Union of South Ceti of trafficking slaves across its eastern border. Although there have been rumors of border skirmishes for weeks, this is the first official statement the Folau have made to the wider international community. Senior Correspondent Chris Olsen reports from Cataran with a rare interview with a Folau elder.

(There are several shots of Cataran. The first is of the docks, with blue water, white sand, and the palm jungle nearby. The second shot is of the arcology. The next is of a busy market, with an variety of utilitarian and tribal people mixed together. Chris Olsen narrates)

"Since the end of Operation Overcast, Cataran has made major strides. With the help of foreign investment and relief organizations, what was once a slum surrounding Brown Arcology has since grown into a thriving community with electricity, safe running water, a reasonably stable economy, and even a telecommunications grid. However, the Confederate government still faces major challenges.

(The scene shifts to an older man. He is wearing black slacks and a belt, which clashes notably with his bare tattoo-adorned upper body, ornate earrings fashioned from bone and obsidian, and his hair pulled into a topknot. He is speaking, but Chris briefly introduces him)

"Elder Oki is the Tribal Council's main representative in Cataran, serving as the tribe's link to the Confederation as a whole. Though the Folau don't normally give interviews, in this case he was willing to speak to us."

(Chris' narration finishes and Oki is seen speaking. He is speaking in accented but clear English, and periodically directly glances a bit uneasily at the camera)

"We should've known it was too good to be true. Men came to our tribe saying they needed workers. Even negotiated wages with our elders. Turns out that's because they never planned on letting them go. That is when we acted.."

"So many of them went willingly?" Chris asks.

"Yes, and with our blessing. We were deceived. Those who left did not come back," Oki explains simply.

"Could you expand on that a little? What did you hear? Were there attempts to find them?" Chris asks.

"We heard nothing from them. When we inquired, we found nothing. Sometimes the men who "hired" us vanished. Other times they claimed the workers had decided to stay. But they would never answer questions. Even if we give them names they would not say where they were, usually said they did not know," Oki continued, sighing. "So after that, we decided to bring them back."

"What did your men find?" Chris asked.

"Our people were beaten. Don't work, lose your food. Try to run and lose a foot. Steal and lose a tooth or be put in an oven. They would also tear out our families, and their spirits were lost," he says, motioning to the bone earrings. "Those who came back said others had been killed, and the warriors found this as well."

"I'm sorry," Chris says.

Shrugging, Oki says "We will pay them what they are owed."

"Was the Council aware that these men were Contras?" Chris asks.

"No," Oki says, shaking his head. "We found out as we began planning to rescue our people after all inquiries failed."

"Drug trafficking and the Contra Cartel itself are illegal in the Union. The Tolstoy regime has in the past worked to destroy the organization. How do you know it's them? And what does it mean if they survived?" Chris asks.

Oki gave Chris a somewhat annoyed look. "We rescued our people from drug plantations. Saw and burnt the crops ourselves. Not only that, we knew Contras before the Union, and they are the same men. If they survived I imagine it is because someone wanted them to, be they spirit or man."

(Scene cuts back to Townsend)

"And that was Chris Olsen reporting from Arcologia. Union officials declined to comment.

Strategic Petroleum Reserve Authorizes Sale

(Camera is back on Townsend who addresses the audience)

"And now our top story tonight, the Strategic Petroleum Reserve has finalized the sale of several million barrels in response to the oil crisis. Internal leadership debates in FODE are ongoing, but Secretary-General Reyes has not indicated any willingness to compromise so far. The government authorized the sale as a means of providing relief to consumers nationwide, but while the nation will be grateful for lower gas prices the measure is not without controversy."

(Scenes flash before the viewer, first a line of cars outside a gas station, then a roadside sign showing elevated gasoline prices)

"Between gas rationing, sky-high fuel prices, low speed limits, and rising costs across the board, people nationwide are feeling the effects of the embargo," Townsend says.

(Cut to some footage of a woman on the side of the road. She's wearing a baseball hat and a t-shirt)

"It's getting to where I have to choose between, you know, eating healthy, buying fresh fruit, and, you know, gas," the woman says.

(Stock footage of a highway is shown. Townsend narrates again)

"And that's the dilemma facing many Adiran consumers. Based on quarterly finance reports from the nation's ten largest retailers, discretionary spending is estimated to have fallen between five and ten percent nationwide since the embargo went into effect. If the trend does not reverse itself by next quarter, Adiron will officially be in recession."

(Stock footage of a shopping mall is shown during an Equinox sale. After a moment a bulleted list comes off, following along with Townsend's dialogue)

"Economists have said it's too early to accurately predict the exact repercussions, but they envision several possible results. With fewer sales, businesses will be less likely to expand and hire new workers, or may even be forced to make layoffs. There could be unpredictable effects on the stock market, and startups and small businesses could be hit particularly hard. While online shopping typically grows when gas prices are high, in this case higher shipping costs will almost inevitably be passed onto consumers. Such a recession may even have international implications, as orders for goods produced overseas are cancelled with falling demand."

(Footage of DeGroot in the Assembly, Townsend continues to narrate)

"When the government announced the decision to open the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, its rationale was based primarily on the economy and the ongoing relief efforts in Isidium. However, critics point out that without progress in FODE, the measure is at best temporary, at worst outright dangerous. Opposition Leader Saito today slammed what he referred to as the government's lack of direction on the issue."

(Cut to a clip of Opposition Leader Saito)

"This government has made the very old error of mistaking stubbornness for strength," Opposition Leader Saito says. "The President asks the nation to sacrifice on principle. He says if we give in, the Imperium wins, and Adiron loses. Mr. President, the Imperium wins if our economy collapses."

"The choice the President has posed to the nation is to either subject ourselves to fuel shortages and recession, or pay some fraction of FODE dividends to the Imperium and Urdnotia," Saito says, before being booed by the Government. Saito then motioned to that side of the chamber. "The Government seems to think any amount of money to those nations, no matter how small, will be enough to render them all but invincible. I disagree. I am a businessman. And I want to know the details."

"How much money do the Imperium and Urdnotia really stand to make from Adiran FODE dividends? Will it be an overwhelming windfall or will it be a drop in the bucket? The Government likes to say the profits from FODE will convey upon our enemies some overwhelming strategic advantage. I imagine a far greater strategic advantage will be gained if our military is beset by chronic fuel shortages, a condition which is only made worse by selling off the Strategic Petroleum Reserve."

"This Government is playing chicken with the Adiran public for what amounts to little more than ideological grandstanding. For all we know this is exactly what the Imperium wants. It is long past time we got to the table and had an adult conversation."

(Townsend starts narrating again)

"Mr. Saito's remarks sparked criticism online and in the Assembly. The Government has maintained that Imperial companies potentially stood to make billions annually if Adiron bought openly from FODE, generating enough tax revenue for the Imperium to equip entire Army divisions, continue modernizing its Air Force, or finance the construction of new fleets. Polls show veterans, military families, and a large majority of the eastern and central provinces are opposed on general principle to supporting either the Imperium or Urdnotia in any capacity."

"However, the Opposition Leader's remarks are not the only source of controversy. Green Assemblywoman Martha Rutherford, who sits on the Energy Committee, is under fire for the following remarks:"

(Cut to Rutherford speaking)

"Given Adiron's long dependence on petroleum imports, our current situation was inevitable. Whether it stemmed from war in oil producing states, increased demand in large nations like Hostillia, wells running dry as has been seen in the Nordic Union, or the formation of a cartel like FODE, sooner or later the petroleum supply was going to contract."

"The Opposition likes to claim that the market isn't ready to wean itself from fossil fuels. But since this government had the foresight to invest in renewable energy, that's exactly what it's doing. Adirans are flocking to electric vehicles and public transit while driving less. We're producing more biofuel than ever before, and that's funding expansion and research. FODE continues to stonewall us at their peril. If they wait too much longer, we won't need them anymore, and when we take the lead on green energy, neither will the rest of Cornellia," Rutherford concludes.

"Between our dependence on foreign oil and the dangers of climate change, something on the order of the oil crisis was necessary to prompt real action."

(Cut back to Townsend)

"While initially praised by Greens, Rutherford's statements were immediately criticized by the Opposition as undermining future negotiations with FODE. Since then they have also been seen by many rural and lower-income Adirans as being insensitive to the economic challenges they face due to the oil crisis. Rural Adirans drive more, have fewer public transit options, and in many areas lack the infrastructure for electric vehicles, while rising fuel prices impacts the poor worse because fuel takes up a higher percentage of their income. The government has not commented on the matter directly."

"And with that we now move onto the conscription debate, where debates continue in the Assembly as observers were sent to..."
Last edited by Hittanryan on Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Republica De Gran Chaco
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Republica De Gran Chaco » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:28 am

El Tiempo

Chaco's Finest News Source

Nine Additional Reserve Units to be Mobilized

The Army has released a list of nine additional combat units that it has ordered to mobilize today. Parliament has approved the increase because the Army believes these additional forces are necessary for the security of Chaco from the Ashabi rebels that are on the border.

At a press conference in the Military Command Center in Yanque, Colonel Julio Rodriguez, a spokesman for the army command staff, stated that “It’s a matter of precaution. We would rather have the forces activated now and not need them, than need them and not have them.”

When asked about rumors of a possible intervention in Ashab, Colonel Rodriguez stated, “As of this moment, there is nothing definitive, but nothing is off the table. We take our security very seriously, and we take our commitments to friendly nations very seriously, and Ashab is our closest friend.”

The Activated units are as follows:

1st Armored Reserve Regiment
4th Armored Reserve Regiment
6th Armored Reserve Regiment
24th Armored Reserve Regiment
8th Infantry Reserve Brigade
22nd Infantry Reserve Brigade
12th Indigenous Infantry Reserve Brigade
14th Indigenous Infantry Reserve Brigade
Chaco Light Infantry Reserve Regiment

The Men of the reserve units that have been called up have two weeks to put their affairs in order and to report to their units.
Last edited by Republica De Gran Chaco on Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
كان التيز سمين

Novitera
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novitera » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:00 pm

Parberry v. Yujiro Capital LLC. 2015
Supreme Court of the United Federation

FACTS

Defendant Yujiro Capital (Yujiro) is a brokerage firm with their principal place of business in Heselory, Calirma. Their business is managing the investment accounts of individual investors, acting as fiduciaries in this capacity. This includes the purchase of mutual funds, hedge funds, commodities options, individual stocks, money market funds, bonds and commercial paper. As part of their business brokers at Yujiro recommend suitable investments to their customers depending on their particular investment strategy which takes into account each customer's risk tolerance. Plaintiff Amanda Parberry is a retired public school teacher residing in Heselory. She is a widow with two children. In July of 2013 Parberry retained the services of one Anton Hudson to be her broker. Hudson has been a broker with Yujiro for 15 years. In the course of their relationship Hudson managed a retirement account for Parberry. The starting principle investment being approximately 80,000 UFD, money which Parberry earned throughout her life as well as inherited from her deceased parents. In November of 2013 Hudson recommended three securities that are at issue in this case.

Plionor Ltd.
RTD Inc.
Endurance Investments.

It has been proven at the trial court that Parberry explicitly told Hudson that she has a very low risk tolerance being a client of humble means. Throughout the course of her career as a school teacher Parberry earned an average salary of 50,000 UFD while her husband, Richard Parberry earned an average salary of 65,000 UFD over 30 years as a welder. Parberry urged Hudson that she was more favorable towards investment in tax free municipal bonds, corporate bonds, blue chip stocks and money market funds. Hudson was able to persuade Parberry to invest an approximate total of 50,000 UFD in the securities above. In reality, those investments do not match Parberry's expressed risk tolerance as they are speculative securities that ended up devaluing dramatically since Parberry purchased them. Endurance Investments for one, is a hedge fund that has since filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy after allegations of fraud and insider trading by its corporate officers were proven by the Securities Authority. Out of her initial 50,000 UFD investment, Parberry has sustained capital losses in the amount of 45,000 UFD and is suing Yujiro Capital for breach of fiduciary duty. Yujiro raises the defense that Parberry assumed the risk by signing certain disclaimers regarding the risk of these purchases, was given monthly prospectuses by Hudson and failed to monitor the balance of her account. We now decide on whether this defense is adequate.

CHIEF JUSTICE LORIELLE BESS delivers the opinion of the court....

It has long been held in Noviteran courts to look to the writing of contracts in order to determine the nature of a business relationship. In many such cases a party can effectively waive the risks involved in a transaction. It is usually up to both parties to make an informed decision as to whether they will enter into an arrangement. However Novitera is not a complete laissez-faire, buyer beware market. Parties are entitled to a reasonably safe product. Ethical standards for diligence, good faith, fair dealing and safety are imposed on parties to any transaction. Manufacturers of automobiles must ensure that their cars will not explode in a slight fender bender, pharmaceutical companies must make sure their drugs do not have unreasonable adverse side effects to their users and grocery stores have to take care they are not selling food contaminated with dangerous chemicals. It would be inherently unfair for customers to bear the burden of fully understanding the nature of these products and charging them to come to their own informed assessments as to quality and safety. An element that must be taken into account is sophistication and expertise of the plaintiff in financial matters. Parberry was an elementary school teacher. She did not study finance or business in depth to be deemed a sophisticated investor on her own or in her college education. It would be unfair to say she should have been made aware of the risks herself in the complicated prospectuses produced by these entities. She materially relied on Hudson's recommendations. Hudson held himself out to be an expert in financial matters who recommended the securities in question. He went on to state to Parberry that most likely she would double her principle within the year. This court finds it reasonable under the circumstances for Parberry to have believed Hudson. Hudson, by recommending such highly speculative investments making them out to be a "sure win" breached his fiduciary duty for as we know in the financial markets there is no such thing.

The defendant makes the claim that this was puffery which is allowed in communications as to the quality or safety of a product. If a statement about a product or service is so exaggerated or absurd that no person could reasonably believe them to be true then a claim for a breach in not providing what was said in those statements will be defeated. We do not find puffery here. The plaintiff was recommended these securities not in an advertisement but in an in person conference with Hudson who gave, along with the said statement, other advice encouraging Parberry to buy the securities in question. Parberry who lacked skill and experience in securities analysis relied and acted upon on her fiduciary's wrongful advice. We find that she lacked the capacity to knowingly assume the financial risks of the unsuitable investments recommended by Hudson.

This court reverses the ruling of the appellate court. We direct Yujiro Capital to pay the plaintiff the award decided by the trial court of 45,000 UFD along with legal and attorney's fees.
Last edited by Novitera on Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:54 pm, edited 8 times in total.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:46 pm

THE FINEBERG TIMES

Nov 17, 2015

New Edom to Ban Worldvision Song Contest Viewing

by Annabelle Barca

FINEBERG, New Edom-- The WorldVision Song Contest, one of the most popular, if not the most popular talent and music events in the world, is holding its 43rd event this year. nations from around the world will be sending their most talented musicians and singers to this event to compete for the top spot. Judges and commentators who are often household names will be leading viewers through the huge range of popular performances. Advertising and displays of excitement and dazzle will explode across television screens globally.

And yet, in the Allied States of New Edom, the National Chamber of Deputies has responded to a call from the Council of Churches to boycott the event, slap an embargo against any importing of advertising for it, and to act like it does not exist. The event was shown on Edomite television networks before, even commented on on NENN news. So why ban it now?

According to Dr. Marius Campion, who led the move to ban the program, it represents a committment to the Morality Act, the binding laws that govern new Edom's civil and criminal laws. "I spoke with the Prophet Under and teh Archbishop and we discussed the issue at length before i urged this to a vote. There has been a laxity in the enforcing of moral public programming in our country, and it's time we put a stop to it. We need to balance our contact with the rest of the world with moral guidance."

Specifically, there are concerns with the material shown in the contest. For instance in WorldVision 41, the band “Monday Morning” sang a song that was clearly a freethinking song, which has become popular in the pro-LGBT movement in New Edom, a movement specifically attempting to destroy the Morality Act and enable same sex marriage. The song’s lyrics include these lines:

It’s no decision
Baby, I was born this way (Oh Oh Oh Oh Oooh)
Guess it’s just my fate (Oh Oh Oh Oh)
I had a vision (Oh Oooh)
Of it all being okay (Oh Oh Oh Oh Oooh)
Your views decay (Oh Oh Oh Oh)

I can’t help what I’m feeling
What’s going on, what’s going on
I can’t help what I’m feeling
What’s going on, what’s going on

I do my life, oh, I am who I am
Don’t care for the rules, it’s all out now
I’ll shout it loud, oh, I'm doing my life now
Not scared of the crowd, I won’t give up
One day you will know, That I won’t let go
My life will go on, without yo’ yo’ yo’
I do my life, oh, I am who I am
I am who I am

At a glance, these lyrics simply seem a call to individualism. However the Sarian, the nation of origin, is a demonstrably pro-LGBT rights nation. These lyrics are seen as no accident.

Anther example was brought up by the committee reviewing the proposed legislation. Also in WV 41, the artist Rick Leg sang an obscene song about a male organ, with a live action demonstration. While the naked body is hardly obscene in New Edom, what is done with it certainly can be. In another song, the artist Katie Cracker sang another song of obscene connotations where she deliberately and provocatively shook her backside at the audience in a song literally about twerking.

Then in WV 42, the artists Soledad, a female rapper from the Attican Republic, sang a song called “F___ Thee”.

In many of these cases, it might have been possible to take the acceptance of these songs as open mindedness, a virtue among many progressive nations and liberal countries. However to members of the committee, the respone of the contest hosts reviewing the songs was troubling. Soledad’s song got this response from the commentators;

Attican Republic
Max: To be honest, I don't see why people are complaining about the swear words. If they're there then it has to have a purpose, and it does.
Sonya: Just a bunch of prudes.
Max: In saying that, this song's got attitude. There's something about the line "F*** thee, you little c*nt" which is hilarious.
Sonya: An excellent warrior for feminism, and says no sorrys.

(full commentary can be seen here)

In the current contest, WorldVision 43, one of the contestants, Normandy and Picardy’s
Gerrad Versun, is openly homosexual and an LGBT activist.

“It is clear,” said Sarah Carmel, the leader of the Free Congress Party and oen of the leading members of the Committee for Moral Entertainment, “That the songs that we have listed as examples—and they are mere examples—are not accidents. Tehre is a tradition in this contest of allowing morally degrading material. In general, there is an atmosphere of decadence and selfish individualism in the contest.”

“We shold be clear here,’ added Dr. Campion, “That we naturally prize individuality—when it is morally guided. Our nation is recovering from civil war. We need to be bound by common values and accepting of one another within them. We need to prize hard work, family values, our religious faith, patriotism and personal enterprise, not shaking around like a stripper on a stage.”

However the vote was by no means unanimous. 55% of the National Chamber of Deputies voted in favour with 14 abstaining leaving 31% voting against the legislation, mostly being more liberal members of the Intellectual Party and the more liberal members of the Christian Social Democratic and National Wisdom Parties. The Intellectual Party, led by Claudius Glaber, has generally stated that its members will continue to recommend that the Morality Act be dismantled.

The initial vote on this interpretation of the Morality Act will have to be presented to the two monarchs of New Edom, King Elijah and Queen Mara. The monarchs will be advised by their officials and Ministers of the Council, Following that it will pass back to the Chamber with the Monarchs’ yea or nay.

It is the intention of anti-Morality Act groups to try to dissuade Their Majesties from signing the interpretation into law and thus forcing a censoring of the contest and similar entertainment into law. Claudius Glaber of the Intellectual party announced, “I have requested an audience with Their Majesties or their staff to introduce them to spokesperson who can offer a difference of opinion from the majority of the committee.”

The Foreign Minister, Dr. Paul Ahek, was asked what bearing this legislation may have on New Edom’s relations with foreign nations which are tolerant of homosexuality and feminism, including neighboring nations like [nation[Jedoria[/nation] and Deadora. Dr. Aphek said, “Naturally, we have every respect for the right of foreign nations to have their own laws. However you have to draw the line somewhere. You can tolerate the idea that someone else tolerates foul language in their own home while not tolerating it in your own. Furthermore there is a limit of trade and tourism we do with nations that do not demonstrate respect for our ways.” He laughed and said, “AT the end of the day—this is a song contest. It will hardly be the end of the world if the Morality Act is interpretated that it should not be shown in our country.”
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:12 am

Arrest Turns Deadly on the Border

(An animated graphic of the ANBC logo comes into view before cutting to a sleek modern set. A middle-aged news anchor in a suit is seen straightening some papers. Cut to the news anchor, who is seated before a window of the nighttime Puerto Rojas skyline)

"Good evening, I'm Mark Townsend. Our top story tonight comes from the remote borderlands of Calaveras. In the wake of the Isidium bombing and a number of foiled terror plots, fears of terrorism have been on the rise throughout the nation. No group has yet claimed responsibility for Isidium and many details of the government's ongoing investigations remain classified. However, in the early morning hours border patrol forces in Calaveras found themselves in a fight for their lives."

(Footage of what looks like a press conference under fluorescent lighting, a rather severe looking woman with a heavyset brow in what looks like a police uniform is addressing the crowd)

"At 0410 Central Ceti Time, border patrol aircraft detected five unidentified persons on the Arcologian border running west about 20 kilometers from the town of Bullmar. While our aircraft continued to track them, Border Control agents were dispatched to intercept these individuals," the woman says rather dispassionately, clearly reading off prepared speech notes.

"At 0440 our agents approached the individuals on the ground and attempted to make contact with them. Their group then split into three, with two men staying together and the other two each breaking off on their own. The group of three eventually stopped and were taken into custody, but the others continued to attempt to evade our agents."

"By 0455 one of the suspects was caught and physically restrained. The last suspect then appeared to give up on the chase, and began to approach Lieutenant Donald Davis. Lieutenant Davis gave the suspect instructions to stop moving and place his hands on his head; the suspect did raise his hands, but did not stop moving. As Davis was calling for backup, the suspect then detonated himself."

"At this time the other suspects were just being searched. Between them they were carrying nearly one hundred fifty kilograms of plastic explosives, though none of the others had rigged themselves for a suicide attack. Lieutenant Davis is currently in critical condition."

(Stock footage of of an armored jeep with a border patrol insignia on the door, then of a helicopter above the Hellas Desert, Townsend narrates)

"Border Patrol officials also captured the incident on video from one of its drones, which they say they will release to the public later today," Townsend explains. "Calaveras Province features Adiron's longest border with Arcologia. There have long been concerns that the border poses a security risk, since there are hundreds of miles of desert to patrol with little to no assistance from south of the border. Adiran border patrol forces have adopted the use of drones, helicopters, and sophisticated sensors to detect unauthorized border crossings, but with rough terrain and a huge area to cover, it isn't easy."

(Cut back to Townsend in the ANBC studio)

"Tonight we have National Security Advisor Lawrence Castano and Political Analyst Linda Wharton. Lawrence, Linda, glad to have you with us.

(The screen now goes to a split view between Mark, Lawrence, and Linda. Lawrence is a rather craggy man with a few liver spots on his face and a simple close-cut haircut. Linda looks like she's had more professional makeup done, with styled brown hair)

"Mark," the two of them reply.

"Lawrence if we could start with you, do you think there could be a connection between the arrest today and what happened in Isidium?" Mark asks.

"I don't think I really have enough information to answer that, Mark," Lawrence says cautiously.

"Yes, but since Isidium there have been a number of terror-related arrests made, there have even been primed devices disarmed by bomb disposal teams. Is this a coordinated effort?"

"You have to understand, Mark, that without being part of these investigations I would be speculating at best, and I don't want to say anything that will panic anybody," Lawrence clarified. "So far the attacks don't seem to have much of a pattern. Different methods, different types of targets. Nobody's claimed responsibility. We can't draw any actual conclusions about that. Maybe they're all unrelated, or maybe it's coordinated. Maybe it's the same group, maybe they're all lone wolves inspired by Isidium. We just can't comment on that yet."

"Linda, some have expressed concerns about the secrecy of the government's investigation of the Isidium Bombing. Do you think that this latest incident will put pressure on the government to take more aggressive action or at least be more transparent in the future?" Townsend asks.

"Well that's part of the trouble with counterterrorism, isn't it? The more the government reveals publicly, the better the terrorists are able to plan around them and the greater the risk. Yet at the same time, the government has an obligation to keep its citizens informed."

"Right, but do either of you think this will result in any significant policy shifts?"

"If you look at where this took place, the suspects were coming out of the Palisades, which as we said is disputed between the Confederation and the Union," Lawrence said. "If that unstable area is where the Isidium bombers entered the country, then I think we could see some serious pressure for the government to secure and stabilize the Palisades, likely with the aid of our Confederate allies."

"I think that would be a bit too risky for the current government," Linda countered. "The Imperium likely wouldn't tolerate Adiran forces moving so close to their border, especially if it was to secure territory claimed by the Union, its proxy or some would say puppet in Arcologia. But when the immediate domestic threats are dealt with, I think the government will release the names of one or more possible culprits behind the Isidium bombing and pursue them aggressively. That would likely involve intelligence work rather than military."

"Lawrence, Linda, thanks for being with us," Townsend concludes.

(End of Segment)

Jedoria
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedoria » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:26 pm

Internal Security Chief Insists Pistol Whipping Minorities "Key part of the investigation process"

The Silver Rock, Jedoria's FInest News source

STRANA MECHTY - Speaking to reporters as part of an official press conference called to discuss fears of growing worries of police brutality, former Field Marshall turned Supreme Chief of the Department of Internal Security Pytor Olsogovic insisted to the press that pistol whipping religious minorities was a "key part of the investigation process."

"Our valiant men and women in the Department [Of Internal Security] put their lives on the line each day, and devote themselves to upholding the high prestige and honor of protecting Jedoria's citizens. As part of their investigation, our Field Agents conduct themselves with the highest level of professionalism by taking out their sidearms, and striking minorities over the face or upper body with the cold steel of their weapon's frame."

When questioned by reporters as to whether such a violent method was necessary, or even an acceptable action by a modern police force, Olsogovic defended his agents actions. "When upholding the law of the Confederation, our officers commit themselves to the most thorough of investigations, which a critical part is using their standard issue side arms to repeatedly smash into the faces of suspected criminals, though mainly against Christians and Magi, preferably."

Some analysts have voiced concern that pistol whipping suspects may not be necessary, and in fact may even act to interfere with the official investigation process by potentially involving medical attention for suspects wounded by police action. However Olsogovic insisted the issue was not as serious dilemma. "Now that we don't need warrants anymore, we've really shaved time off the total amount of effort we have to put into these investigations. And contrary to what some 'experts' might claim, pistol whipping suspects has time and time again proven to make actual arrest and detainment times shorter, thanks to suspects usually being knocked unconscious by well delivered blows."

The Supreme Chief reiterated his Department commitment to ensuring the safety of the Jedorian people, promising that under his leadership, Internal Security could be expected to advance the investigation process even further by shooting suspects as soon as they were spotted.
Last edited by Jedoria on Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
“We were all of us cogs in a great machine which sometimes rolled forward, nobody knew where, sometimes backwards, nobody knew why.”
― Ernst Toller

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:51 am

THE FINEBERG TIMES

Nov 30, 2015

Anti-Piracy Forces Attacked in Arcologia

by Annabelle Barca

CABAZON BEACH, Union of South Ceti-- From the coastal town of Stone harbor to the city of Cabazon Beach, ordinary citizens have been plagued by piracy, drug warlords and human trafficking. However as recent photos show, New Edomite military personnel from the Army and the Navy have been helping the people of the Unio of South Ceti fight back against the criminal organizations rebelling against their lawful state.

"Arvo tribesmen are among the hostile groups that are enslaving people," said Ambassador to South Ceti Dr. Benjamin Scroll. "We are doing our best to provide humanitarian aid to the people here; we just began preparing to bring in a big package from the Order of the Purple Cross when the attacks stepped up."

Arvo pirates attacked Stone Harbor earlier in the month, destroying half the buildings and attempting to carry off many citizens. However the cvalry literally arrived in the form of the 1st Battalion, 18th Mounted Light Infantry, one of the Army's most elite light infantry units, commanded by Colonel Abishai Hagar. The soldiers fought off the pirates successfully and sved most of the villagers. REbuilding has begun, and humanitarian aid packages including aquaponics to replace damaged local agriculture and businesses have been flown in.

However the warlords have not accepted this and have not learned their lesson. Attacks by artillery, infantry and engineered bombs have swept around the defenses around Cabazon Beach. The provincial capital is under heavy and constant attack by the rebel forces that wish to force the Union of South Ceti to accept the notion that there is nothing they can do to prevent people from being forced to labour in drug labs or be carted off into slavery.

Earlier today, the King vowed to uphold the nation's commitments to the Union of South Ceti. "My ambassador has spoken with President Tolstoy, and we remain committed. We will avenge our dead and protect the people of South Ceti. The reign of terror of the pirates of Southern Arcologia is now being challenged."
Last edited by New Edom on Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jedoria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedoria » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:20 am

Edomite Chaplain vows to continue to spread his faith while standing among piles of corpses

The Silver Rock, Jedoria's Finest News Source

CABAZON BEACH, Union of South Ceti - Citing his deep religious upbringings and years of education at various theology centers and churches across the Allied States of New Edom, Army Chaplain Adam Collins re-affirmed his life time commitment of spreading the word of God and the Savior to all corners of the earth while standing amid several piles of human remains. "The Lord's work is not an easy calling, but it must be done." Said Collins, clasping a copy of the Holy Scripture in one hand and using the other to brush off gunpowder off of his uniform. "The Bible calls on all Christians to spread the faith and encourage others to take up the role as messengers of the lord."

"As said in the Book of Matthew, 4:19 'And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." Quoted Collins, while behind him several Edomite soldiers began piling bodies together before dousing them in gasoline and lighting a match. Collins, age 39, first enlisted shortly after the 2nd Edomite Civil War, where he had worked diligently to encourage religious piety and service to the church, often times leading congregations in the middle of fields filled with carcasses, of both men and machine. "It hasn't always been easy." Admitted Collins, while stopping to tear a bit of cloth off a decapitated body lying on the ground and wiping away some sweat on his brow. "Some things can test a man's faith. But the Lord rewards those who persevere, even in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds."

Collins came to Arcologia as part of a greater New Edomite mission to the area. "It's been a huge success so far, both from a military point of view and a religious one. I've managed to gather a small flock, not just of my own soldiers, but of some natives too." Collins motioned out to the jungle, where pillars of smoke could be seen, while screams and pleas for mercy could be heard amid the sound of automatic weapons fire. "Yes sir, I do believe we're doing the Lords work here, for the betterment of everyone." Collins finished with a smile, before noticing a severed hand in front of him, which he kicked away with a grunt.

In other news, a local couple is relieved that they are finally close enough emotionally to openly discuss their multiple affairs.
“We were all of us cogs in a great machine which sometimes rolled forward, nobody knew where, sometimes backwards, nobody knew why.”
― Ernst Toller

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:37 am

Breaking: Imperial Invasion of Arcologia and Update on Bluebrook

New Laconia- Sources close to the Secretary of Defense and in the military have just contacted ANBC with unnerving news regarding the Imperium. First, there appears to be irrefutable proof that a major Imperial military force has crossed the border into Arcologia, specifically the disputed mountains just south of the border known as the Palisades.

Analysts believe an entire infantry division is moving into the Palisades, where it could potentially threaten border forces as well as the Confederation. Two squadrons of Imperial fighter jets have also been detected over the Palisades along the disputed boundary line between the Union and Confederation. This latest development follows allegations that Imperial military personnel have been aiding Union attempts at territorial expansion along the Adiran border, even carrying out increasingly severe attacks on Confederate forces in the area.

No announcement was made by Magus Civitas of its intentions, but the Curia has consistently supported the Union's territorial claims around Lake Hoyt. Clashes between Confederate and Union border forces happened with increasing frequency this year as both developing states moved to secure their claims.

Military analysts say the Palisades would provide the Imperial military a corridor into Calaveras province, bypassing the extensive defenses in Plainterre. If Imperial forces could secure a path through the mountains, the open, flat terrain of the Hellas desert could be traversed easily. This would present a serious threat to the forces in Plainterre, the Confederates to the south, or even the coast if they were to drive straight westward.

Presidential Press Secretary Ghozem said that the government is aware of the situation and is planning for all possibilities. The President is expected to make a full address on the situation sometime today. There is no word yet on whether or not military action is foreseeable, but in the past the President has said that he would support the Confederate position in the Palisades in the interests of border security.

This ties into the second story. For several weeks the government has been rigorously investigating the bombing of Bluebrook Station in Isidium, which no known terrorist groups have claimed responsibility for to date. Several more attempted terrorist attacks have since been foiled, and yesterday there was a new piece to the puzzle: the arrest turned deadly of several suspects on the border. The suspects were carrying enough military-grade plastic explosives to construct a device similar to that at Bluebrook. It just so happens that they were traveling through the Palisades as well.

Although the government has been quiet, citing ongoing investigations, documents have now surfaced finally outlining the prime suspects and connecting the attacks with a common thread: Arcologia. The attackers all tend to use the rough terrain of the Palisades to infiltrate across the border and evade border control agents, which makes the region potentially even more vital to Adiran security interests.

However, even more disturbing is the AIS' prime suspect for the attacks. Based on confessions and what was described as a long trail of evidence, counterterrorist investigators' prime suspect for the attacks in Isidium and elsewhere is the Inquisition.

To be clear to the readers, the government has not officially announced the identity of the attackers. The documentation found by our investigative reporters included inter-agency communications directing investigators' efforts. If true, however, then this would mean the Imperium is a state sponsor of terrorism, actively dedicating resources to carrying out indiscriminate attacks on Adiran civilians. It would also seemingly make the disorder in the Palisades a key component of the Inquisition's strategy.

ANBC will continue to keep Adiron and the rest of Cornellia updated on this unfolding story.

Deadora
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Deadora » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:32 pm

News for the People

BREAKING: Arbites Materia Invades South Ceti

Troop Movements follow Rash of Terror Strikes in Adiron

Oerene Balla
Journalist

New Laconia, Adiron-- Government sources in the Great Republic have informed the Adiran media industry that large military formations have been detected moving from the Imperium to Arcologia, into the badlands known as the Palisades. It is speculated that the Imperium is preparing to throw broader support behind their Arcologian ally, the Union of South Ceti, in their escalating conflict against the North Arcologian Confederacy, supported by the Adirans. Scrambling of Imperium air resources lends weight to the Adiran assessment.

The Adiran government has not yet made any official response to this posturing by their mortal rival, but commentators in Adiron's corporate media have speculated that the government views this decision by the Curia to send the army into Arcologia as an act of provocation and a threat to Adiron's national security. The Palisades, if fallen into Imperium hands, would provide a corridor into the Adiran heartland, bypassing the entrenched defenses of the border that have been in place since the conclusion of the 2nd Burnt Hills War. President DeGroot has previously stated that Adiron would support the Confederacy in Arcologia if the integrity of their own borders were at stake.

This escalation in tensions between the two Cetan powers comes in the wake of a rash of terrorist strikes carried out on Adiran soil against civilian targets. The government has been reluctant to produce details of their investigation, but has confirmed that most terrorists crossed the border via the Palisades. Furthermore, uncovered communications between Adiran intelligence officials indicate that the primary suspect is the Inquisition, the theocratic arm of the Curia.

Deadora is no stranger to terrorism, as last year's bombing of a solar plant, and continuous raiding against Deadoran soldiers, by the Army of Ajam will attest. As a people and a civilization we must decry terrorism in all manifestations, whether it be at the level of the local or the state.

Matriarch of Foreign Affairs Arlenica Nessic commented that the recent development was
"Worrisome," but declined to comment further until more information was available.

Strategy is the art of creating power.

Jedoria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedoria » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:47 pm

The Strana Mechty Quarterly

Imperium Moves Forces Into Arcologia

Inquisition Linked to Terrorist Attacks

New Laconia, Adiron - New revelations out of the Republic of Adiron have revealed to the Adiran media that military forces of the Imperium of Arbites Matera have begun moving into the failed state of Arcologia, specifically into the region known as the Palisades, which borders both nations at the southern edges of their respective territories. The move comes as a huge alarm to the Republic, as Imperium control of the area would grant them a clear route into the heart of Adiron in the event of hostilities, a possibility that certainly worries Adiran national defense officials.

Additional reports have also surfaced regarding the string of terrorist attacks that have hit the Republic. Though normally the details of the investigations have been kept under lock and key, new information has been released implicating the Inquisition, the covert branch of the Holy Curia, as behind the attacks. This comes just days after Adiran border security clashed with individuals attempting to cross the Adiran border through the Palisades, possibly in an attempt to carry out further attacks against the Republic.

Just a few years ago the whole continent of Ceti was engulfed in the Second Burnt Hills War, and now there is speculation that residual tension across the land could be reignited thanks to this development. The Jedorian Government itself did not comment on the news, however Foreign Minister Andrei Paler stated that the Confederation is "aware of the situation" and fined the event "of great concern." No further comments were made by any Jedorian officials or ministers.

In other news, Duke Victor Răceanu today charged that the Jedorian media, rather than informing people, now merely reports on public ignorance. Do our views agree? Let's here from some voices on the street...
― Ernst Toller

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:07 pm

THE FINEBERG TIMES

Dec. 06, 2015

Claims of Imperium Backed Terrorism Shocking,
Reports Foreign Ministry

by Cassandra Kazantzakis

FINEBERG, New Edom-- Claims of terrorist attacks backed by the imperium of Arbites have shocked the Foreign Ministry. Senior Undersecretary Elizabeth Corbulo, the always attractive and charming Senior official at the FM, said "It is appalling if it is true, and naturally it will be thoroughly investigated."

Following this a news piece came out of ANBC about an Imperium military expedition in the palisades. There have been attempts to tie the two pieces of intelligence together, but according to a previous piece, a testimony by an Adiran security official stated:
that without being part of these investigations I would be speculating at best, and I don't want to say anything that will panic anybody," Lawrence clarified. "So far the attacks don't seem to have much of a pattern. Different methods, different types of targets. Nobody's claimed responsibility. We can't draw any actual conclusions about that. Maybe they're all unrelated, or maybe it's coordinated. Maybe it's the same group, maybe they're all lone wolves inspired by Isidium. We just can't comment on that yet."

"We don't want to go off half cocked," said the always elegantly dressed and suave Dr. Paul Aphek, looking very nice in a cream and blue tropical suit as he came out of Marcello's, one of the nicer restaurants in Fineberg where I am told the lobster ravioli is to die for. "We want to support our allies, and we want to support regional justice and safety for ordinary citizens. The Allied States Government will of course be ready to hear out both sides of this concern and do what is right." According to sources, discussions are taking place with the ambassadors from Adiron and Arbites and our Foreign Ministry.

Prayers were said at many churches, at Betharan Palace, in the Chamber of Deputies and the Palace of Justice for peace in Ceti and for the Lord's guiding wisdom in our national diplomacy.

- Parade "A great send off in spite of hiccups' according to Palace source
- Is there oil in the Ghan tish North? For real/
- Rumours of Engagement of Princess Ava to Prince Alexander of ghant--true or false?
- Body Paint Decadent or Not? Conclave of Most Holy Convenes.
- Conference on WorldVsiion Song Contest to Publish Conclusions

Dear Doctor Bonasento

My wife and I decided to hire a Dengali emigre as our houseboy, and he was woring out rather well in spite of some linguistic barriers. Then we discovered a large bundle fo coppers missing from our bedroom drawer. As he was the only logical person to blame fo rit, we tried to have him arrested by the Militia had released him after 72 hours interrogation without result.

Later we found that the money had been borrowed by my brother in law, who had not been able to find a pen to write a note and had been in a hurry. He returned it in full and we regretted our accusation. however we have not been able to locate or contact our former houseboy. what to do?

-Missing the Houseboy

Dear MTH

This sort of problem happens more often than you'd think. Unfortunately there are so many Dengalis in the country he may be hard to locate without some cleverness on your part. I would advise standing outside in places such people congregate and think "Now at this time of day, where would I be if I were a negro?"

Hope this helps,
Doctor Bonasento

Altinum
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Altinum » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:27 am

DE | EN | FR | NO | SE | DN | RU
schlagzeilen| värskland | region | sport | technik | lebensstil | geschäft | reise | umwelt

Arbiter Aggression

-Imperial military forces move into the Palisades
-Imperium backed Terrorism and what it means for Altinum

All eyes in the Altian Defence Ministry are focused on Ceti today as reports of Arbiter military forces being moved into the Palisades region of Arcologia are received from Adiron. Such a move, currently speculated to be strategic in nature, would allow the Imperium to completely bypass Adiran defences in the event of an outbreak of war. This makes control of the region a priority for both Adiran and, by extension, Altian military planners and leaders. Currently, no moves have been made towards military action by either Adiran or Altian forces, and the government has yet to release an official statement on the matter.

However, despite the lack of an official public response, one word has been plaguing the pages of bloggers, social media feeds, and televised debates alike.

Krieg. Krig. Krijg. Guerre. Guerra. война.

By whatever language, it has invoked strong emotion and concern across the continent. War.

With elections coming quickly, the topic of yet another war in Ceti has been a major point of discussion for the candidates, with answers varying from aggression to downright pacifism. Altian nations have been no strangers to having boots on the ground in Ceti, having been doing so since the creation of the ISA. It is too late to desire to not be entangled in the political tensions and issues in Ceti, as some have suggested Altinum prevent doing. But the worries of another conflict are that of further major policy changes. The changes made to accommodate massively increased defence spending during the last war have yet to be reverted, in the name of defending the nation. And while the impacts to the homefront these spending and budget adjustments made years ago have mostly been recovered over the years since the war's end, the possibility of further ones may force Altians to come to the realisation that the status of Altinum, as a whole continent, is changing on the world stage and that the costs of that will have to be paid.

Yet, against the backdrop of possible future war, comes the realisation of a new threat to Altinum. That of Imperial Terrorism, now thought to be the cause of the Isidium Bombing earlier in the year. Yet, if there are any concerns about an attack in Altinum, the Altian government has been quick to stop them from becoming public, offering instead a clear, solid view on the issue.

"There will be no attacks in Altinum," Kallestrøm answered in finality in an interview on Sunday. "That is not because of us simply not considering it a possibility, but is the result of the extensive hard work of our men and women in various intelligence and military agencies across the continent in cooperation with our allies overseas."

Those 'allies overseas', however, are now what may very well draw Altinum towards another conflict in Ceti.

by Thomas Reus
8. Dezember 2015

✓ 1,019
⌘ Teilen
Last edited by Altinum on Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nous sommes solidaires.
Wir stehen zusammen.

-
'Wir hoffen auf Gott, doch haben das Wunder verpasst,
Wir bauen immer Höher bis es ins unendliche geht
Fast acht Milliarden Menschen, doch die Menschlichkeit fehlt'

New Othman
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 11, 2005
Ex-Nation

Shooting at Magi Church Leaves 65 Dead!

Postby New Othman » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:51 am

New Izmir Fez,
Yalim Guney, Correspondent

In an act of brutality and viciousness scarcely seen in New Othman's history, a mass shooting at a local Magi church in Kahya, just outside the eastern DMZ, left 65 worshipers dead and 78 badly wounded, in addition to some 122 minor injuries. The shooters have now seized the church and taken 76 hostages, prompting the Government to consider requesting possible CPO or Jedorian assistance while reportedly preparing to storm the building if the worst comes to pass. Negotiators have been able to get the wounded and slain turned over to authorities, hence the numbers reported, but no success can be claimed regarding the hostages and we have only the terrorists' word for it. Apparently, the shooters wanted the living that they released to act as messengers for them.

The terrorists have declared themselves to be "agents of Allah, soldiers of Islam, and the fists of God's vengeance against the infidel occupation of New Othman." This would appear to suggest that while the incidents of terrorism decreased or abated during the fall, with winter, they have regrouped enough strength to engage the authorities openly in acts of insurgency once more. The language used strongly indicates that the terrorists are a cell of "The Vengeance of Allah" insurgent group, the one responsible for notorious bombings and other acts of violence last summer. They have also called this action of theirs "the next phase of the national intifada (uprising or insurrection) against the CPO and their godless puppet regime in New Ankara."

General Recep Borek, Premier of New Othman, has openly warned that if these incidents "do not cease presently, we shall have no recourse but the emergency clauses of our Constitution, namely martial-law and the suspension of habeas corpus." He also noted that, as unlicensed firearms possession is illegal in New Othman, there will be "a severe crackdown on the traffic of illegal weapons, especially submachine guns, and that penalties for illegal possession of small arms may very well be increased substantially." It should be noted for the record that permits for gun possession are so heavily restricted that only 1 in 200 civilians can acquire them. Firearms are also only legally leased, not sold, through the Ministry of Defense or National Police, enabling them to be seized at any point.

All legal firearms, including long guns, were confiscated during the Fascist regime of the late President Fazil Kotuk, so as to prevent a Communist or Islamic insurgency against the Fascist Party. However, provisions were made for leasing them to Party members and other "reliable and loyal citizens" who might have need of them. Hunting is typically done by spear or bow and arrows in New Othman.

This most recent incident also marks the most serious act of terrorism committed outside of a DMZ since the New Ankara nightclub bombing earlier this year. The weapons used by the insurgents appear to include AK-47 rifles and carbines, plus Uzi, MP-38, Tokarev, and Thompson submachine guns.
Last edited by New Othman on Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
"It is high time for ballots, and not bullets. For bread and butter, not tanks treading on foreign streets. For reform, for schools, for more police on the beat, instead of building up a massive war machine used only to bully our neighbors. The only armed forces that the new New Othman needs are those which defend the nation itself from aggression. We don't need the trillions that we used to spend for that." - Udan Varcar

"Radical feminism in the west is less about womens liberation (and that's fair - women in the west have been largely liberated after all), and more about authoritarian thought policing." - Hirota

"The function of our social services is to discourage sedition." - Premier Bayazid Izmirek, 2005

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:10 pm

THE FINEBERG TIMES

Dec. 08, 2015

Terrorism on the Rise?

by Cassandra Kazantzakis

KAHIYA, New Othman-- A terrorist attack against a Magi church in New Othman has left 65 worshipers dead and 78 badly wounded, in addition to some 122 minor injuries. The shooters have now seized the church and taken 76 hostages. This is one of the worst terrorist attacks in the Region--comparable with the attacks by Damoclean terrorists, by the outrages of Arcologian pirates and other horrors visited upon innocent people in the Region.

Premier Recep Borek, who always looks very handsome in his dress uniforms or in a three piece suit, has said that he will do all that he can to deal with the terrorists and save the hostages, and that the government of New Othman is considering instituting martial law under the current constitution. The Republic of New Othman has been plagued by Islamic extremists, in this case the Vengeance of God group.

The New Edomite embassy in Ankara has conveyed the deepest condolences of the New Edomite governemnt and promises to provide whatever support the people of New Othman need right now.

"This is an unfortunate example of how an extremist group can seize upon an ideology and make it a weapon," said Basil Jerome, an official at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. "It would be wrong of course to treat all Muslims as terrorists even though these fundamentalist lunatics are going to such violent extremes."

"The Borek government has been working hard to establish a law abiding democratic society, and some people don't want to share power even when they have an opportunity to do so democratically," continued Jerome. "Our government is however committed to making sure that peace in that part of the Region is upheld. Part of that peace involves supporting the constitution of the Republic of New Othman. our government is committed to that too."

The New Edomite contingent of CPO forces was reduced earlier in the year, but 800 CPO peacekeepers remain in the DMZ, largely devoted to logistical and administrative duties. The embassy in Ankara will be engaging in discussions with the Borek government to discuss whether or not bringing direct assistance not under the CPO mandate but as a friendly nation to another may be appropriate and helpful.

Meanwhile, the Ministries of Justice and Police are working with the Foreign Ministry to make sure that no illegal armaments are smuggled by any means from New Edomite channels into New Othman."We will work with the New Othman government to make sure of joint security being done properly," said Peter Misabel, the Deputy Minister of Justice who looked striking for his press conference in dove grey suit and light blue floral tie.

Jedoria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedoria » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:16 pm

Duke Condemns Terrorist Attack in New Othman as Confederation Reaffirms Commitment to Alliance

STRANA MECHTY - Just as reports leaked from Adiron revealing new information regarding the terrorist attacks that have beleaguered the Cetan Republic for much of this year, another reported attack occurred in the Othmani town of Kahiya, this time against a Magi church that has killed 65 people, with over 200 more wounded. Victor Răceanu, Duke of the Jedorian Confederation, wasted no time in harshly condemning the attack, calling it a "despicable act" conducted by "cowards who target innocent bystanders out of fear of facing someone who can fight back."

The Duke offered his condolences to those who have lost loved ones in the attack, while confirming that Jedorian assistance to it's Othmani ally was guaranteed. Răceanu stated that Jedorian coordination with the Othmani government in handling this wave of terrorist attack, as well as dealing with the various insurgent groups plaguing the young republic, was guaranteed. Foreign Minister Andrei Paler spoke as well to the press, confirming that Jedoria was ready to offer further financial and even military assistance to it's latest ally. Jedoria has currently deployed several thousand military personnel to New Othman to augment the Othmani armed forces, who lack certain capabilities due to the restrictions placed on them by the Treaty of Beaulieu. Though not directly stated, the Foreign Minister did imply that Jedorian armed forces could assist in stabilization efforts within the Republic, should the government be forced to enact martial law.

In addition, it was confirmed that Jedorian security forces could assist in the hostage situation currently ongoing, should that option be chosen by the Othmani Government.

The Duke offered final solace for New Othman and the region as a whole, declaring "When such barbaric acts such as these occur, it is paramount that the regional community bands together to prevent further violence. This is the time for friendship and cooperation, not mistrust and suspicion. If we give into such sins, we are no better than the terrorists we despise."
― Ernst Toller

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:49 pm

THE FINEBERG TIMES

Dec. 09, 2015

Talks Over Damoclean Peace May Conclude Soon

by Cassandra Kazantzakis

LYCAEUM, Damoclea-- Talks between Lucas Nacht, the Commoner Foreign Minister (and arguably one fo the snappiest dressers in the Commoner senior government), the Order Pacific of the Imperium of Arbites and Dr. Paul Aphek of the New Edomite Ministry of Foreign Affairs have been apparently going very well. The division of Damoclean into ocuppied territories had become contentious when the Kingdom of McNernia abruptly dropped its occupation and was replaced by rebellion--and an expeditionary force of commoner naval and ground forces. It may be recalled that a certain McNernian Prince danced with a certain lady of the Edomite Royal Court at the Heir's ball last season. What has come of that? We may never know.

However the territorial discussions inherited from the Pahath-Moab government, were resumed by the King himself with the Foreign Minister playing an active role as senior foreign policy adviser, and have resulted in what the Foreign Minister has called "very optimistic approaches."

"We are likely to accept the Commoner occupation--barring only a few things. First, that there is a promise of complete halt to all insurgency activities and recogntion of New Edomite and Imperium right to govern their territories of Damoclea; that the Commoner Empire agree to act in cooperation in Damoclea and that there is no further miltiary buildup.

"However we are very optimistic. Thus far they've played ball, to use an old phrase, and we're pretty confident that they intend o keep their word. They could have made a lot of trouble, here and in New Othman, yet they have acted with the strictest honour." Of Basil Jerome, it may be said that even a rather heavy man can look very sharp in a tuxedo, which he wore on his way to a party at the home of Count Nabal. This party, held for the Royal Philharmonic's 'School a Child"' fund is apparently well attended.

According to military reports, the Rebel Judges in Damoclea have had trouble keeping morale up among their rebellisuo forces, and many have surrendered already. The 1st Armoured Division, still engaged in moping up, has sustained 934 casualties to nearly ten thousand Damoclean casualties. "You can see in the units trained by us that there is more discipline and determination, and really, when they are so well respected and accepted once they convert to Christianity and become more civilized, why wouldn't they just start to surrender?" pointed out General Adam Nicanor, the New Edomite commander and the leader of the Occupational Authority in Damoclea.

According to Palace and Foreign Ministry sources, we can look forward, hopefully, to confirmation of a peace treaty once the Order Pacific and Commoner Foreign Ministry confirm the agreement proposed recently.

-Promise of covering lost supplies in Arcologia by Wolf Armaments "nothing to do with the peace treaty" says FO spokesperson.
- Make the King Smile contest prankster breaks down crying after meeting king and failing
- Delay in WorldVision Song Contest Ban Conference not due to food poisoning: confirmed.
- As yet no date on when Annabelle Barca is back from maternity leave
Last edited by New Edom on Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:21 am

Breaking: Emergency Press Statement from President DeGroot

Seeking to address rumors in the press surrounding a growing conflict in Arcologia, President DeGroot has just delivered a major press statement outlining the nation's current policy. The full text of the statement is shown below:

The Isidium Bombing was an indiscriminate act of mass murder, one seemingly without rhyme or reason aside from pure destruction. Its wanton brutality and senselessness has stunned and bewildered the international community. Since none have claimed responsibility, the AIS and Justice Department have been conducting a thorough investigation, the details of which have remained classified due to national security reasons. In light of recent events, however, and on the advice of the intelligence community, it is time to divulge what was found.

The explosion at Bluebrook was from a car bomb fashioned from military-grade plastic explosives. Counterterrorism agents found last-minute leads which prompted the Isidium Police Department to evacuate the station. IPD first responders remained inside the station, refusing to leave before the evacuation was complete, many falling in the line of duty when the bomb was detonated remotely. They are an example to us all.

While in pursuit, the bombers murdered two more IPD officers, leading police on a high speed chase through the streets of Isidium before being apprehended, in one case thanks to intervention by a courageous bystander. What followed was an extensive investigation involving thousands of people and spanning two countries.

The Isidium bombing wasn't just a one-off act of a desperate lone wolf. It was a deliberate, carefully planned operation. It is also part of a wider campaign; the foiled plots in Cerina and at Dalton Air Force Base were tied to the same activities. The death of Lieutenant Davis in the line of duty represents just one more casualty in our growing struggle against terrorism.

It was determined that the Isidium bombers were engaged in a highly-sophisticated operation where they smuggled themselves and their explosives across the Arcologian border, moving carefully through the rough terrain of the Palisades. Contacts in Arcologia would procure their resources and arrange for covert transport. There they would use the rugged terrain, laced with spider holes and caves, to move covertly, only one or two at a time, until they reached tunnels extending underneath the border.

There has been no shortage of commentary in the press on these events, often without evidence since relevant details were still classified. This has led to rumor, speculation, and panic, which at times like these must be avoided. I will therefore take this opportunity to put these rumors to rest: the Isidium bombing was carried out by the Inquisition. We know this through contacts in Arcologia, through the equipment and methods the bombers employed, and through information gleaned from the suspects themselves.

Furthermore, the Imperium has actively undermined efforts to stabilize the Palisades, leaving the region volatile and poorly policed. The Union has rejected all compromises and negotiations on the Line of Control north of Lake Hoyt, and any deployment of additional Confederate security forces was matched by a buildup of Union forces, and escalation of raids and skirmishes. This meant the Palisades remained unstable and easily infiltrated by foreign agents. The Imperium has even directly attacked Adiran forces working to investigate the terror campaign. The Confederation allowed drones into its airspace near the border in the Palisades to provide surveillance. Since then, no less than ten drones have been shot down by Imperial long range surface-to-air missiles while they were flying in Confederate airspace. The Imperium claims they were in Union airspace but has declined to provide any evidence.

Today, our allies in the fledgling Confederation have also come under direct attack by Imperial military forces. Not long after the Isidium Bombing, Confederate positions in the Palisades were attacked by rocket artillery, attack helicopters, and helicopter-borne assault troops. The latest reports in the press now talk about an entire Imperial infantry division crossing the border into the Palisades. This is, again, correct. It is believed the Imperial Army's 14th Motorized Infantry Division is currently moving into the Palisades to seize the area after they were dealt a setback by Confederate forces. This amounts to no less than an Imperial invasion of Arcologia, mere kilometers from the Adiran border, with the apparent intentions of territorial expansion, facilitating the further slaughter of innocent Adiran citizens, and obtaining a staging area for future invasions of Adiron. The Imperium has denied our claims in spite of evidence and claims that we have somehow provoked their invasion.

This campaign of state-sponsored terrorism comes to an end today, one way or the other. The Republic will take measures to ensure the total security of its Arcologian border, up to and including military action. Furthermore, the Confederation has requested the presence of Adiran forces in the Palisades to deter or, if necessary, repel Imperial forces which cross the previously-established Line of Control north of Lake Hoyt. Any deliberate attack on Adiran forces west of that line will be treated as an act of war.

I call on our allies to condemn the Imperium's latest atrocity at Isidium and its aggressive expansion into Arcologia. I would like to assure the international community that Adiron will exhaust all diplomatic options before committing to any unilateral action, as long as the threats to Adiran life and limb are resolved. We are open to mediation and investigations by international organizations such as the OCS and CPO, and will be fully transparent. We have nothing to hide, and the evidence at this point is nearly overwhelming. Should the unthinkable happen and Adiron is attacked directly, I would appeal to our allies for direct military assistance.

I also call on FODE to address the implications this has for Imperial leadership of the organization. Given the timing, Secretary-General Reyes has arguably attempted to impose his government's agenda on the organization as a whole, to the detriment of the economic growth of its member states. We hope that the organization will hold Reyes accountable for this as well as disregarding FODE's charter, so that Adiron can resume business with the member states which do not threaten its national security.

To those governments which are allied to the Imperium but are willing to listen to reason, I implore them to reflect on what the Imperium really stands for. We have no intention of going to war with any nation that is uninvolved in the Imperium's campaign of terror against the Republic. The fact of the matter is that Imperium does not stand for ideas such as traditional values, economic opportunity, peace, or stability. Its agenda and behavior runs counter to every single one. Adiron will gladly share actionable intelligence which demonstrate our claims, and we are entirely willing to engage in an honest dialogue about recent events.

War on the Horizon in the Palisades

Pro-war Demonstrators Clash with Liberal Activists at PRSU

Thousands Join Protest at Imperial Embassy

Hurricane Scarlett Evacuations Widened

Jedoria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedoria » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:31 am

The Strana Mechty Quarterly

President DeGroot Confirms Leaks, Levels Accusations Against Imperium

Adiran President clearly outlines response to Arbiter invasion and terrorism link

NEW LACONIA, ADIRON - Days after a intelligence leak from the Adiran Government revealed that the Imperium had begun a large scale invasion of the failed state of Arcologia, along with revelations that implicated the Inquistion as the force behind the terrorist attacks in the Republic, President Tavish DeGroot gave an official press statement regarding the recent developments. Calling the terrorist attacks "indiscriminate act of mass murder", DeGroot provided information gathered from the Adiran Intelligence Service that seemed to confirm the accusation that the Inquisition was behind the terrorist attacks in Isidium and elsewhere, along with several other attempted attacks that were stopped by Adiran military and law enforcement personnel.

Citing the volatile area between the Imperium and the Republic, known as the Palisades, as the source for where the terrorists gained entrance into Adiron, DeGroot also confirmed the surveillance of an Imperial army division, believed to be the 14th Motorized Infantry, moving into the Palisades in an attempt to support their allies, known as the Union of South Ceti. The Union has been in direct conflict with the North Arcologian Confederation, an Adiran backed state attempting to establish the rule of law in the troubled and violent land that is Arcologia. In addition, DeGroot stated that Imperial anti-air units were responsible for the destruction of several Adiran UAVs that were assisting the Confederation in reconnaissance operations.

The placement of Imperium forces so close to the Adiran border, in an area typically not the focus of Adiran's national defense doctrine, is of great concern to the Republic's national security, and DeGroot made it clear his government would not tolerate such a blatant threat to the safety of the Adiran people. In his closing statements, the Adiran President urged Adiron's allies to condemn the Imperium's actions, and offered to share the evidence the AIS had gathered with anyone who was interested.

Although the Duke was not available for comment, Foreign Minister Andrei Paler hosted an official press conference where he answered several questions pertaining to the situation in Ceti. "President DeGroot's statements earlier today cannot and should not be ignored, and the Jedorian Government is keeping track of situation as it develops." Jedoria has not had official relations with the Imperium of Arbites Materia since the outbreak of the 2nd Burnt Hills War, which was followed up by an embargo placed on the Imperium as well. "Unfortunately, the Imperium has a history of callous disregard for human rights, and has time and time again demonstrated a willingness to inflict civilian casualties in an attempt to accomplish military objectives. This administration will convene with representatives of the Adiran government as soon as time permits to discuss the evidence that President DeGroot has offered."

Paler declined to comment on whether the Jedorian Government expected the situation to escalate to armed conflict, and also declined to comment on whether Jedorian military units would be put on heightened alert. In his closing remarks, the Foreign Minister had this to say: "The gravity of this situation must not be ignored, however at the same time it can not be allowed to consume our thought process. All we can do right now is pray that Gaia guide her children down the right path, and that whatever resolution is reached, it will be a lasting one."

In other news, a local man can't believe it's not butter.
Last edited by Jedoria on Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
― Ernst Toller

Arbites
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arbites » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:37 pm

Order Eidos
Special Report

Imperium Defends the Union of South Ceti

The Adiran puppet state known as the North Arcologian Confederation has attacked the forces of the Union of South Ceti throughout the Palisades in a coordinated offensive. Believed to have been trained by Adiran advisors, Confederate forces attacked Union positions throughout the mountains in an effort to further Adiran designs upon Arcologia. Satellite intelligence also confirms that Adiran military forces are currently moving into the Palisades to support the offensive.

The Union has therefore requested aid from the Imperium. The 14th Motorized Infantry Division, under command of General Maxwell Tauber, is deploying to repel the invasion of Union sovereign soil, pursue and destroy the attacking forces, and neutralize the threat posed by the Adirans in the western Palisades. The General has requested that the faithful in the Imperium offer prayers at noon for his cause.

The Union remains the only organized state in Arcologia with fully-developed infrastructure, a coherent central government, and a growing economy. President Tolstoy is a godly man who venerates the Immortal Emperor and acts as a benevolent steward to his people. The Union also represents the best chance to defeat South Ceti's many pirates, slavers, drug traffickers, and uncivilized tribesmen which threaten all civilized peoples in the area.

Any attempt by Adiron, its puppet state, or foreign interlopers to prevent the 14th from carrying out its mission will be treated as an act of war. The Union is an ally of the Imperium facing tremendous challenges, and as such the Emperor's finest will lay down their lives to protect it from the imperialist designs of socialists, atheists, and heretics.

That the Imperium would in any way condone terrorism is nothing more than an attempt to discredit our noble efforts and distract from our righteous purpose. The Curia will not dignify such conspiracy theories with any further formal response.
He who stands with me shall be my brother

The Shrailleeni Empire
Minister

Founded: Oct 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Shrailleeni Empire » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:58 pm

The Kalko's Cry
The First Independent News Source of the Shrailleeni Empire

December, 1292 (2015)
International News

Mother Empress Calls For CPO Intervention In Palisades

Imperial City - In an unexpected announcement, Her Enlightened Majesty the Mother Empress Chella Resyanna fe Shrailleen has broken months of self-imposed media silence to make a personal statement regarding recent events in Ceti.

President DeGroot of the Republic of Adiron announced yesterday that forces of the Arbites Imperium directly engaged those belonging to Adiron in a region of Arcologia known as the Palisades. Today, the Order Eidos confirmed this announcement with their own report justifying the Imperium's military presence in the region. With tensions running at an all-time high between the two Cetian powers, rumors of an impending war between the two have begun to circulate in national and social media across the region. With the apparent intention of addressing this situation, the Mother Empress has come before the Cry to call for a peaceful resolution.

I have heard the speech of President DeGroot and read the position of the Imperium of Arbites. It seems apparent that the polities of northern Arcologia have become a flashpoint of confrontation between each of these nations, nations whose politics and alliances have created anchors in a web that stretches across the Tempesta and binds all of our nations together. We, the nations of Cornellia, cannot pretend that it is otherwise. When the Republic and the Imperium sit on the brink of war, then so too does our region.

I am the Mother of All Shrailleeni, and it is to the safety and welfare of my Children that I must look. Ceti is not so far from Shrailleen, and not far removed from our history. They are our neighbors to the North and West. The High Queendom of Kurungarra shares a border with the Imperium of Arbites, a state which may soon find itself at war. Shrailleen would not long enjoy isolation should hostilities break out. Our case is not unique in the region. What is transpiring in the Palisades is a threat to all peoples of the region.

I therefore call upon the nations of the Cornellian Peace Organization to confront this challenge to the security of our peoples. I call upon this organization to oversee the complete and immediate withdrawal of both Adiran and Arbiter forces from the polities of Arcologia, to be replaced by a CPO peacekeeping force. I shall use my command as Mother Empress of this empire to personally mobilize a force of three Battlegroups to donate to CPO command for this purpose, even should they be placed under foreign command. Given the immense seriousness of this situation, I could do nothing less.

Finally, to the Shrailleeni people, I continue to guarantee a future in which all Children of the Mother Goddess may decide their fate through equal and measured representation. Until that time, I remain your Mother, Protector, and Empress. May the light of the Mother of All continue to guide us.

Her Enlightened Majesty was not available for further comments following her speech.

It is currently unknown how the member nations of the CPO will react to this announcement. President DeGroot indicated in his speech that he would be upon to all diplomatic efforts in regards to the situation in Arcologia, as well as an openness to efforts on the part of the OCS and the CPO. No indication was given on the part of the Imperium of Arbites of a similar willingness to find a peaceful solution. No one in the Imperial Palace or the Matriarchies of Government was available to comment on the Mother Empress's plan of action in the event that peace efforts fail.

Her Enlightened Majesty made no mention in her address to either the accusations of terrorism delivered by President DeGroot or his call to remove Secretary-General Reyes from his position at the head of FODE. The Shrailleeni government has indicated in the past that it has joined fellow FODE nation the Empire of Deadora in pressing the organization for a change in leadership, citing the political power-playing by the Imperium at the expense of fellow cartel members. However, there has been no indication that these calls have been heeded by the organization, which remains led by the Imperium. The Empire has also not shrunken from accusing the Imperium of terrorism in the past, especially concerning Arbiter involvement in Krutongo and Gloria Regis.

The Foreign Minister, Zattem Resbruck, was available for comment on both of these issues.

On the subject of the Isidium bombing, the Foreign Minister called the evidence leveled against Arbites "deeply disturbing," but added that the Shrailleeni government was still attempting independent confirmation. He told the Cry: "It would not be surprising to learn that the Imperium has again resorted to the crudest acts of terrorism, as they had in Gloria Regis. Needless to say, if it is truth, then the Imperium deserves the highest level of condemnation, and the Empire would respond accordingly. However, this nation must base its decisions on the hardest evidence, particularly when the stakes are set so high. Shrailleen will not officially respond to Adiron's accusations or to Arbites's denial until we are certain of the facts."

In regard to FODE, the Foreign Minister replied that negotiations were "ongoing," and affirmed that Shrailleen had not given up its attempts to uphold the FODE charter. "The position of leadership belongs to Deadora. That is our position, and Shrailleen will not be swayed on the matter. We do not believe that Arbites's membership in FODE should be seen as an extension of their government, as Adiron suggests, but if our concerns are not addressed soon the Empire will be forced to make considerations regarding the low value that certain members apparently place on our membership."

Regarding the promise of CPO contribution, independent reports confirm that the Imperial 7th, 8th, and 9th Motorized Battlegroups have been placed in a state of readiness.
Last edited by The Shrailleeni Empire on Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
أدرس اللغة العربية وهي لغة جميلة
Mother of One, Mother of All
Ask Me Anything IC
Come to the Mother's Embrace
New Edom wrote:Elizabeth Salt remarked, "It's amazing, isn't it, you rarely see modern troops that wear their 19th century uniforms and gear so well--they must drill all the time. Is this a guards outfit?"

Sif said to her, "This is a modern Shrailleeni Empire military parade. Like as in this is what they wear, this is what they use. This is it."

Late Roman Empire
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 11, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

New regulations on guns, oil; new sanctions!

Postby Late Roman Empire » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:33 pm

Constantinople Tribune,
Junius Valens

In response to the recent mass shooting in Kahya, New Othman, as well as terrorist actions committed in Arcologia by the Imperium’s stooges, the Divine Augustus has decreed the following new taxes and regulations.

I.The new Edict on Firearms essentially restructures, revamps, and codifies the existing gun regulations in the Empire to specifically prohibit civilian ownership of the AR-15 (submachine guns were already illegal, but the AR-15 had been left legal through an oversight), limit magazines for both handguns and long guns, outlaw sawed-off shotguns, extend the mandatory waiting period from three to five days, require a gun safety course and a psychological examination prior to concealed carry (already mandated for gun ownership), tighten the “household cap” on firearms to no more than 10 firearms per household at any one time, and impose an excise tax on both guns and ammunition of one solidus per unit. These changes, while inconvenient for gun enthusiasts, were described as “hardly onerous for legitimate gun owners,” according to Tiberius Macrinus, first cousin of the late Emperor Sextus Macrinus Felix and current President of the Guild of Firearms Dealers and Makers.

II.The new Edict on Plastics and Petroleum has imposed a carbon emissions tax of two solidi on emissions, as well as a one solidus tax on plastic bags and bottles, to encourage recycling and limit the wasting of plastic, and a one solidus tax on non-diesel gasoline (the previous tax had been four denarii, which it remains for diesel). The additional revenue is expected to go into research and development of alternatives to fossil fuels, to reduce dependency on FODE.

III.The new Edict on Trade Sanctions has significantly increased economic sanctions on non-petroleum products from both Urdnotia and the Imperium, as well as the Union of South Ceti and the Imperial Occupation Zone in Damoclea, especially in the form of higher import duties. As the new Master of Offices, Servius Ahenobarbus, intimated, “We are not fooled in the slightest. South Ceti is nothing but an Imperium puppet state and will suffer the consequences for it.” Also hit by new economic sanctions was the Empire of Vorindeum, ruled by pro-Arbites Emperor Albert I (formerly Prince Albert of Ghant).

IV.The new Edict on Refugees has created new asylum permits specifically for refugees from Arcologia, Urdnotia, and the Imperium. Some 100,000 such permits will be issued this coming year, though with some background checks, of course.

V.The new Edict on Shipping and Commerce has banned the shipment of new armaments to Arcologia, Arbites, and Urdnotia, as well as the shipment of small arms and melee weapons to “areas of Ghant known for disloyalty to the Obsidian Throne,” and “anything which might arguably increase the effectiveness of terrorists” to New Othman (non-lethal and melee weapons, small arms, likely bomb-making materials, etc.). It has also made it a capital offense for any Roman citizen to hire private military companies of Ghantish mercenaries for his or her own use.

These are some of the most substantial new regulations coming out of the Belisarian Throne in recent years, and while they, “regrettably,” in the Emperor’s words, constrict international trade in an era where free trade would be ideal, they have been deemed necessary, and hopefully, temporary, expedients to combat terrorism, radicalism, mercenaries, and civil wars. With the aid of Divine Providence, perhaps they will be effective in curbing the considerable threat from such rogue elements.
Last edited by Late Roman Empire on Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I swear by Almighty God that I will faithfully serve and obey the Divine Augustus, as our Lord and Master, and hold him alone as my true, dread sovereign and prince. I swear that I will serve him loyally until the hour of my death, on pain of damnation to my eternal soul." - the Imperial Oath of Allegiance (administered to the civil service and armed forces)

Woe to they who demand things of the Lord of the World, for he is neither so obliged nor amused.

Deadora
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Deadora » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:00 pm

News for the People

Bravery in the Face of Terror

Military Raises Alert Status following uptick of Terrorism in Ceti; New Othman

Lyza Lykok
Journalist

Balish'Bei, Deadora-- Matriarch of Defense Haylei Onsin gave a speech from the shore of the Strait of Laz which stated that the Imperial Military was raising its alert status to high due to a recent terror attack in New Othman that left more than one hundred people dead or wounded with dozens more kept as hostages, as well as revelations about the origins of bombings that took place in Ceti earlier this year. The Republic of Adiron has named the theocratic Imperium of Arbites Materia as the perpetrator of the Cetan attacks, raising concerns in Bryn Tegna that the Inquisition might try to attempt to spread the same sort of violence from their colony of Krutongo. The recent attack carried out by Vengeance of Allah, a violent jihadist group, in protest of the CPO presence in the Lazo-Othmani DMZ has likewise spurred the Imperial government to prepare for the possibility that VOA might lash out internationally at nations participating in the peacekeeping mission, particularly Deadora which maintains a significant presence on the border.

"We cannot idle in complacency," Matriarch Onsin stated. "Action is necessary to ensure the threat of terrorism is contained. I have been authorized by the Matriarch Empress to place the Imperial Armed Forces on High alert. In accordance with her mandate, I have enacted the following policies. Access to and from the Gulf of Deadora will hereby be closed to military vessels of non-SAEC navies. The 2nd Fleet will be deployed in full force in and around the Gulf area to hamper the efforts of pirates, smugglers, and terrorists attempting to move internationally. In addition, merchant shipping of non-SAEC nations, excluding our trusted trade partners, will be subject to increased scrutiny and searches when entering or exiting the Gulf of Deadora. Such policies will remain in place until the security of Deadora and her trading partners can be assured."

Matriarch Onsin went on to condemn the horrific attacks carried out against the people of Adiron and New Othman, and warned those that would use violent religious zealotry to oppress women and other innocents that wherever they fought, Deadora would oppose them.
Strategy is the art of creating power.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents