NATION

PASSWORD

NHS and the denial of circumcision.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The blessed Chris
Minister

Founded: Jul 13, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The blessed Chris » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:03 am

Sun Aut Ex wrote:
The blessed Chris wrote:You do like unilateral, universal one line statements don't you?

Yes, because I'm right. Any time someone walks into a hospital and says "I want my son's foreskin cut off because my god says so", the response should always be a hearty "Go fuck yourself".

No room for due intellectual caution and qualification then. Enjoy that. :)

The blessed Chris
Minister

Founded: Jul 13, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The blessed Chris » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:04 am

DaWoad wrote:
The blessed Chris wrote:
Sun Aut Ex wrote:
EvilDarkMagicians wrote:Yes there is it could be for cosmetic or religious reasons.

Those are not valid reasons for performing it on a non-consenting minor.

Religion is not a valid reason for anything. Social laws override religious ones every single time.

You do like unilateral, universal one line statements don't you?

So respond, explain how religion should ever overrule societal laws.

What if they are coterminous?

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:32 am

The blessed Chris wrote:
DaWoad wrote:
The blessed Chris wrote:
Sun Aut Ex wrote:
EvilDarkMagicians wrote:Yes there is it could be for cosmetic or religious reasons.

Religion is not a valid reason for anything. Social laws override religious ones every single time.

Coterminous? As in covering the same area? . . . .well it would depend if the religious law and societal laws are essentially identical then there's absolutely no problem. If, on the other hand, societal laws contradict the religious ones in the same area then, in my opinion, societal laws trump every time. Can you explain why they shouldn't?
Official Nation States Trainer
Factbook:http://nationstates.wikia.com/wiki/User:Dawoad
Alliances:The Hegemony, The GDF, SCUTUM

Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Edo-Tokyo
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Edo-Tokyo » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:16 am

error double post
Last edited by Edo-Tokyo on Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:01 pm

DaWoad wrote:
The blessed Chris wrote:
DaWoad wrote:
The blessed Chris wrote:
Sun Aut Ex wrote:

Coterminous? As in covering the same area? . . . .well it would depend if the religious law and societal laws are essentially identical then there's absolutely no problem. If, on the other hand, societal laws contradict the religious ones in the same area then, in my opinion, societal laws trump every time. Can you explain why they shouldn't?

You mean, besides making Baby Jesus cry?

I suppose by "coterminous" he meant in an area where everyone is of the same religion and there are no non-religious people there. In other words, CloudCuckooLand.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Greater Phenia
Diplomat

Founded: May 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Phenia » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:38 am

Sun Aut Ex wrote:
Person012345 wrote:So you're against male circumcision too? I think Ifreann was making fun of the attitude that male circumcision is ok "because it happens all the time (in america)" and that female circumcision is bad because it doesn't. Y'know. Like sarcasm.

I only support male circumcision on minors if it's for medical reasons.

I'm rather glad I didn't need your 'support' then. This is one 'victim' who's absolutely fine with his 'mutilation.'

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:11 am

Farnhamia wrote:
DaWoad wrote:
The blessed Chris wrote:
DaWoad wrote:
The blessed Chris wrote:
Sun Aut Ex wrote:

You mean, besides making Baby Jesus cry?

I suppose by "coterminous" he meant in an area where everyone is of the same religion and there are no non-religious people there. In other words, CloudCuckooLand.

ohhhh! Right . . . .That definition didn't occur to me. Actually that argument is even weaker. If everyone in a state followed exactly the same religion their societal laws would be identical with their religious laws and then see above.
Official Nation States Trainer
Factbook:http://nationstates.wikia.com/wiki/User:Dawoad
Alliances:The Hegemony, The GDF, SCUTUM

Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Person012345
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:21 am

Greater Phenia wrote:
Sun Aut Ex wrote:
Person012345 wrote:So you're against male circumcision too? I think Ifreann was making fun of the attitude that male circumcision is ok "because it happens all the time (in america)" and that female circumcision is bad because it doesn't. Y'know. Like sarcasm.

I'm rather glad I didn't need your 'support' then. This is one 'victim' who's absolutely fine with his 'mutilation.'

Again, there are these things called "other people". As already demonstrated not all circumcision goes well, and not everyone is happy with it. No-one here is suggesting banning circumcision, I believe the people you're arguing against are saying that people shouldn't have it forced on them. Just because you are ok with it doesn't mean everyone is.

Glorious Homeland
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious Homeland » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:27 am

Greater Phenia wrote:
Sun Aut Ex wrote:

Jewish, Muslim? Or just American?

map

It's just unfortunate that your penis has been altered without your consent, most likely for religious reasons, and as a result has reduced the sensitivity of, and thus sexual pleasure you can get from it's head, and reduced the total volume of it. No need to defend such practices, we're on your side! We're primarily interested in you having a more enjoyable existence; they however want the opposite to be true, so you can conform more to religious traditions for a supposedly good reasons which are mostly anti-sexual. It was there for a reason, however they lobbed it off to control you, make you conform; too bad.

Otira
Envoy

Founded: Jun 25, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Otira » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:34 pm

http://www.drmomma.org/2009/09/function ... es-of.html

The foreskin offers protection (like female genetalia), self-cleansing function (like female genetalia), self-protecting functions (like female genetalia), Immunological protection, anti-bacterial function, coverage during erection, erogenous sensitivity, self-stimulating sexual function, enhances forepleasure, and very important functions during intercourse that leads to less pain and discomfort for both parties, self-lubricating function, Production, Retention, and Dispersal of Pheromones,

I don't see the point in cutting bits of a penis off.

Drug Crazed Dropkick
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Drug Crazed Dropkick » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:48 am

Person012345 wrote:The fact is, not all parents are sensible, and you get dumbfuck parents who will cut open their kids penis even if something is likely to go wrong. Solution: Prevent parents forcing it on their kid. There is no reason for it (unless you do have a genuine medicinal reason for wanting to do so) so why should the parents be allowed to force their child to have it?

For the same reason that religion is forced upon children. It's just the 'done thing'.

And a big bump here. Sorry.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:24 am

I'm just gonna chop off this zombie now.
I'll leave it to your imagination just where I'm chopping.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General