NATION

PASSWORD

[Submitted] Silk road threatens seaports

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Singapore no2
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

[Submitted] Silk road threatens seaports

Postby Singapore no2 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:24 pm

Description:
After reports that @@NAME@@'s major trading partners are teaming together to build a 'silk road', a trans-continental railway, to bypass your seaports, the Minister of Trade and Commerce has hastily assembled a meeting to debate the issue.

Validity:
Nations with a sea-based animal

[option]
"We can't let our ports close down just because of some measly railway!" booms @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Minister of Defense, who just happens to own a majority stake in a shipping firm. "Their railway goes through at least three nature reserves, two indigenous villages and skirts the border of a disputed region. Give me the go-ahead leader and I'll tie up this project in so many international legal disputes and protests that it'll never see the light of day! If that fails, their railway is in so many conflict zones that it's almost certain that someone would do something to stop it, wouldn't they... ...?"
[effect]
@@NAME@@ has repeatedly called for the international community to condemn the railway while simultaneously committing acts of sabotage
[stats]
pacifism decreases, military funding increases significantly, cheese exports and beverage sales industry expands

[option]
"Do you know how much a government programme like that would cost?!" exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Party Treasurer, who had just run a census of the nation's coffers. "Let's just buy a massive stake in their railway so that we can re-route the railway to our nation. It's time we freed up our territorial waters for trout fishing and whale watching anyway."
[effect]
giant shipping firms close down to make way for fishermen and tourists
[stats]
tourism and trout fishing industry expands, cheese exports and beverage sales industry contracts, industry funding increases significantly

[option]
"Their trains will never beat our ships," scoffs @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Minister of Foreign Affairs, who owns several speedboats. "Sure, half of the world is going to be connected by a super-continental trade sphere, but what about the other half? What about the island nations and antarctic settlements? That's a market that has been largely neglected. All you have to do is to give me permission to establish ties with those dictatorships and militant states, and our shipping businesses will be set back on track."
[effect]
pirates and extremists stop to restock in @@NAME@@ before carrying out attacks
[stats]
safety from crime decreases, safety decreases, economic freedom increases, arms manufacturing industry expands, pacifism increases slightly

[option]
"Trading 'partners' indeed!" fumes @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Minister of Propaganda, glaring at a picture of the world map. "They only care about their own economic interests after all. Like I always said, we don't need other countries for their goods and services, because we can just produce them at home. If we set up several government farms and factories, it will be more than enough to support our population. An added plus is that we won't have to waste money and cause pollution for imports. Of course, foreign investors and the filthy rich may pull out of the country, but who honestly cares about these non-patriots and foreigners?"
[effect]
capital flight from @@NAME@@ has reached unprecedented levels while the government sets up more companies than it does amenities
[stats]
environmental beauty increases, industry funding increases significantly, the economy contracts, state-owned industry expands significantly, private industry contracts significantly

[option]
"How is that a solution?" objects @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Minister for Science and Technology, while simultaneously formulating a thesis on a napkin. "The only reason why our trading partners have to resort to building such an expansive rail line is because our ships take weeks to months in commuting time. We need a serious upgrade of our merchant fleet to solve this problem. Since the military has so adamantly refused to share their seafaring technology, I find it reasonable to divert some funds from them for research and development of better ships."
[effect]
engineers are struggling to modify jet engines to fit on merchant ships as the deadline for the railway looms near
[stats]
military funding decreases, education funding increases, scientific advancement increases significantly, economy expands slightly

Great thanks to Annihilators of Chan Island, Caracasus and Trotterdam!
Last edited by Singapore no2 on Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:24 am, edited 7 times in total.
My Published Issues
Death Note
This is a Modern-Tech nation. We only put a satellite and a man into space so far.
We are a Middle power, so if we die, so will some of the global economy.
We have the 8th largest sovereign wealth fund in the world. (RL world)
Pro: Regulations, Military, Law and Order
Anti: Freedom of speech, Discrimination, CHEWING GUM
Just so you know, I don't think like that. That stuff is roleplaying Singapore (itself, the real life nation)
I have many issues, and you can find the complete list here.

Quote of the year:
Fauxia wrote:Editors aren’t real people.

Annihilators of Chan Island
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:43 am

This is an interesting draft. I quite like it.

Option 1 should stress "our shipping companies".

In the second option, how about you try to get the other nations to re-route the railway to your nation?

While on that note, surely it makes more sense if they were banding together to build a huge motorway instead of a railway?

In option 3, I think the person should be saying that half the world will be connected by this super-continental trade sphere, seeing as the railway hasn't been built yet.
This nation is modeled on being my absolute worst dystopia imaginable. In no way do the Annihilators reflect my opinions, in fact I am totally against almost every single policy they enact.
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

I honestly really like to write issues.

Proud member of The Anti Democracy League

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:49 am

A good idea, I like the concept. Just a thought, but perhaps option one could be focused more on creating as many legal challenges and problems as possible? It seems more like something a nation would consider as opposed to actually attacking the railway.

Perhaps:

Option: "So they want to build a railway do they?" scoffs @@RANDOMNAME@@, your most Machiavellian advisor "we'll see about that! This railway plan seems to go through at least three nature reserves, two indigenous villages and skirts the border of a disputed region. Give me the go-ahead leader and I'll tie up this project in so many international legal disputes and protests that it'll never see the light of day! And if all else fails, building a railway is such a dangerous undertaking. Accidents do happen after all......"

Effect: Other nations are fuming as the country uses its international clout to quash any attempt to reduce its stranglehold on international shipping
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:40 am

Singapore no2 wrote:Description:
After reports that @@NAME@@'s major trading partners are teaming together to build a 'silk road', a trans-continental railway, to bypass your seaport,
I don't think that's really what the original Silk Road was. (And not only because they didn't have trains back then.)

I'd just drop the buzzword and go directly to describing the trans-continental railway.

Singapore no2 wrote:Validity:
Nations with a sea-based animal
Ugh no. My nation is supposed to be heavily involved in sea trade, but my national animal lives on land. I even have a little backstory about how it's not native to our nation but was imported from overseas as an exotic pet during one of our exploration voyages, and became crazy popular.

Unfortunately this draft has no option that feels like my nation would choose it, but then I'm not sure what could be.

Singapore no2 wrote:cheese exports and beverage sales industry expands
Any particular motivation for choosing these as the industries that would be most dependent on sea trade?

Annihilators of Chan Island wrote:In the second option, how about you try to get the other nations to re-route the railway to your nation?
Heh. When I started on this thread I thought to myself there should be an "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" option, then I saw there was one already, and then I saw it was your suggestion and not in the original draft :)

Rivercastle
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Rivercastle » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:18 am

Wouldn't the sheer volume of trade make it hard for trains to handle it alone? Maybe instead of a railway you can have them trying to dig a canal to bypass your port.
What I'm doing right now: Chilling out in the Coffee House, writing issues with Singapore no2.
Like writing issues too? Come join us in the Coffee House, where you'll get a free flow of any coffee of your choice!

Also, I'm the founder of Tranquility Sphere, a region where all are welcome.

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:07 pm

Rivercastle wrote:Wouldn't the sheer volume of trade make it hard for trains to handle it alone? Maybe instead of a railway you can have them trying to dig a canal to bypass your port.

Ultra-continental Suez Canal... ... sounds good.

But how do you sabotage a Canal without people noticing?
Also, this issue is actually a jab at concerns raised by fellow Singaporeans about the Arctic ice melting and making our port irrelevant.
Last edited by Singapore no2 on Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Published Issues
Death Note
This is a Modern-Tech nation. We only put a satellite and a man into space so far.
Just so you know, I don't think like that. That stuff is roleplaying Singapore (itself, the real life nation)

Quote of the year:

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:22 am

This is looking really good so far. The only other thing I'd add really is perhaps a fourth option around renovating and upgrading your nation's merchant navy? Hmm. Oh, and I'd remove the reference to the Security Council. Just put something like "lobbies on the world stage to..." instead. Not all nations being part of the WA and all....
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

The Wolven League
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolven League » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:02 pm

Perhaps one option would revolve around a local merchant who wants to establish some sort of cavalry-based trade route across land for environmental/tradition reasons. Your leader could be out for a walk or something, and the merchant rides up on horseback and suggests a horse/maybe camel-driven Silk Road.
Last edited by The Wolven League on Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For anyone wondering, I joined this website during my edgy teenage years. I made a lot of dumb, awkward posts, flip-flopped between various extreme ideologies, and just generally embarrassed myself. I denounce a sizable amount of my past posts. I am no longer active on NationStates and this nation/account is no longer used.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:29 pm

The Wolven League wrote:Perhaps one option would revolve around a local merchant who wants to establish some sort of cavalry-based trade route across land for environmental/tradition reasons. Your leader could be out for a walk or something, and the merchant rides up on horseback and suggests a horse/maybe camel-driven Silk Road.
How would you enforce that, though? The premise of this issue is that other nations are deciding to bypass your nation's trade policies for the sake of their own economic interests. It's unlikely that horse-and-camel-caravans would be able to compete with a train route in a free market.

There could, though, be an anti-globalization option insisting that your nation should become more self-sufficient rather than relying so much on trade (also occasionally an environmentalist platform, based on the money and pollution that gets wasted transporting goods over long distances that could have been produced locally). And I guess you could still have the person suggesting this be on horseback because horses are a lot more viable over short distances (or less viable over long distances, either/or).

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:52 am

I made some changes, but can someone suggest which options to merge? 5 seems one too many.

Also my validity is a bit patchy, can someone also provide a suggestion?
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:13 am

Singapore no2 wrote:I made some changes, but can someone suggest which options to merge? 5 seems one too many.
I don't know, I like all of those options.

2 and 4 are indispensable, being the two options for not keeping up your sea trade, in very different ways.

1, 3, and 5 are all different approaches to having your merchant ships remain relevant. I think 1 and 3 have some similarities in that they're the two most morally-questionable options (sabotaging other nations' projects to protect your monopoly, and trading with oppressive rogue states, respectively), so maybe they could be combined for a two-pronged attack, though I find them both interesting in their own respects. 5 is necessary as the unique non-corrupt way of keeping your ships.

While option 3 is amusing, I must question the implied assumption that island nations are automatically less reputable than continental ones. There are plenty of dubious dictatorships in the Southeast Asian mainland, while Japan is much better off. Also, it's not just small island nations that you need a ship to reach, there are also entirely different continents. Trade going from the US to Europe (both wealthy developed regions) necessarily needs to use ships for at least part of the trip, whether it turns out to be more efficient for each coastal nation to have its own ports, or for all US-sourced shipping to arrive at one major port and then continue on train to the rest of Europe. Being a major trade hub with good ship and rail access would encourage a lot of trade to flow through you. So maybe combine 2 and 3 rather than relegating all your ships to the fishing industry? But not unless the corruption of option 3 is downplayed, and then I think it'd be too much of a clearly-good option. 3 and 5 could also be combined, to go all-out with your trading empire, but that has the same problem.

Looked at another way, I would summarize the current 1 and 3 as the "evil" options, 2 and 5 as the "sane" options, and 4 as the "radical but not exactly evil" option. I think it's nice to have this distinction, so that nations with a strong commitment to playing as evil or sane still have multiple attractive options. I like issues with more options, anyway.

Singapore no2 wrote:Also my validity is a bit patchy, can someone also provide a suggestion?
Since NationStates has no way of telling which nations are coastal (an aquatic national animal doesn't do it, since coastal and island nations can still have land animals, and landlocked nations can still have freshwater animals) and little way of telling how much nations rely on foreign trade (since even a nation that does have ports wouldn't necessarily be so reliant on them as to be known as "the port nation" of its continent, that people make international coalitions to defeat).

I think I'd just have it require having a very strong economy, and not having previously banned foreign trade. (Do we have a sliding scale for import/export taxes/tariffs?)

Maybe just ask the editors to use whichever criteria allow #201 to show up (which also assumes sea trade is important). If there are any!

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:40 pm

Bump.

Alright, how should this be amended?
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:08 am

Nations with sea-based animals are likely to be isolated islands not connected to continent
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:48 am

Australian Republic wrote:Nations with sea-based animals are likely to be isolated islands not connected to continent

Yes, but I'm not sure what to do about that. I mean, there needs to be something to define the validity of the issue, surely.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:09 am

Singapore no2 wrote:
Australian Republic wrote:Nations with sea-based animals are likely to be isolated islands not connected to continent

Yes, but I'm not sure what to do about that. I mean, there needs to be something to define the validity of the issue, surely.

Not really. You're more likely to find an island nation than a landlock nation, and this would apply to all non-islands
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:10 am

Most nations have more than one sea port
And wouldn't a train line go in the opposite direction of a sea port?
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:14 am

Australian Republic wrote:Most nations have more than one sea port

Yes, but this is assuming that the countries you trade with are connected via land (and are closer together), and thus could bypass you.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:25 am

Singapore no2 wrote:
Australian Republic wrote:Most nations have more than one sea port

Yes, but this is assuming that the countries you trade with are connected via land (and are closer together), and thus could bypass you.

Yes, but you would move your sea port elsewhere. Also, if your neighbours are on the west, that means your coast is on the east, and your rail line runs west, so there is no problem. In fact, it then gets better because you can run from the far east to far west and open trade routes from both ends

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:35 am

Let me draw you a diagram. you are the white nation. The pink is your sea port. The green is the railway line, the different colours are you different neighbour and the blue is the ocean. As you can see, the railway line can run through your nation without interrupting the sea port, perhaps even improving it

Annihilators of Chan Island
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:15 pm

Christ, Singapore, just submit your issues. This one should already be implemented in the game! :p

Australian Republic wrote:Let me draw you a diagram. you are the white nation. The pink is your sea port. The green is the railway line, the different colours are you different neighbour and the blue is the ocean. As you can see, the railway line can run through your nation without interrupting the sea port, perhaps even improving it

Yes, but this issue is running on the assumption that that green line is going to purple from black via red (say): an obvious disadvantage for the white nation and possibly disastrous for the seaport, so I like it as it is.
This nation is modeled on being my absolute worst dystopia imaginable. In no way do the Annihilators reflect my opinions, in fact I am totally against almost every single policy they enact.
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

I honestly really like to write issues.

Proud member of The Anti Democracy League

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:24 am

Annihilators of Chan Island wrote:Christ, Singapore, just submit your issues. This one should already be implemented in the game! :p

Australian Republic wrote:Let me draw you a diagram. you are the white nation. The pink is your sea port. The green is the railway line, the different colours are you different neighbour and the blue is the ocean. As you can see, the railway line can run through your nation without interrupting the sea port, perhaps even improving it

Yes, but this issue is running on the assumption that that green line is going to purple from black via red (say): an obvious disadvantage for the white nation and possibly disastrous for the seaport, so I like it as it is.

Since I have no idea what to do to salvage the validity, I'll take your word for it. :p
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:10 am

Good luck!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?