NATION

PASSWORD

Darkness Behind the Stars IC

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Adventus Secundus
Ambassador

Founded: May 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Darkness Behind the Stars IC

Postby Adventus Secundus » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:53 pm

<Entry1>

Madness rose from the seas and fell from the skies on impossible wings.

The Elder Gods have awoken. Cthulhu no longer sleeps among the stones of Ry'leh beneath the sea. He wakes. Men go mad as his reign on earth approaches. Dancing and murder in the streets. Wailing and the sound of drums in the hills as strange thirsts awake in the human heart. Cthulhu f'taghn! Ah, the cities burn!

Wicked dreams come to life in the hills and hollow places. From witch to demon to werewolf, there is no nightmare of mankind that has not emerged to haunt us. Our weapons are useless and our faculties are slipping.

<Entry2>

The messages flood the datanets. From the darkness behind the stars abominations ooze forth, descending on the glittering belt of the Milky Way like hungry beasts drawn to flame. Creatures the size of planets, of battleships. The far-flung descendants of Terra fall one by one, as do our enemies. Our allies.

Time shifts. Azathoth stirs in his sleep, to the ruin of us all. Ia! Ia!

More and more forget the lie that is light. Hope. Goodness. Far warmer and more real are the flames of madness. Serve our new Masters, and suffering becomes delight.

................................................ <<Static>>..............................................................

Arc 1: the Quest for Light

Hello. Welcome to the Darkness Behind the Stars, a Lovecraft inspired survival-horror RP where YOU can be...pretty much anything.

Darkness has descended on the galaxy. Civilizations have fallen, or gone over wholesale to serve the Elder Gods, abominable monsters from beyond. Hell has come to Earth. Hell, it's come to the entire galaxy.

New kingdoms arise as entire species turn en-masse to worship the Darkness from Beyond. Those few who cling to hope and Light are on the run, scattered and few. Everything they know has been subverted, or destroyed. Monsters lurk in every shadow as darkness falls. Their only hope is a prophecy of Heaven's Gate....a device aeons-lost that could usher in the Light.

Their foes are numerous and powerful. They will stop at nothing to ensure their own victory.

You will play as a character (a single survivor or the leader of a small group if you serve the Light, Characters aligned with Darkness may control larger factions/civilizations) who is making their way in this new world. Survivors will start near each other so they can meet, work together, and have a fighting chance as they journey across this dark universe.
Cultists, monsters, etc....we shall play it by ear.

Have fun with this. You can be an eldritch monster (anything from Lovecraft to Werewolves to Lych Kings to planet-eating swarms of space squid...the sky is the limit) or a survivor from any modern to Future tech nation seeking to avenge and restore what was lost. Or just someone trying to survive.

If you stay IC with your own nation, you can RP your nation's fall or subversion to the Darkness. It's a galactic apocalypse folks. Barrels of fun.

Good writing. No God-moddery, unless you are a god, and focus on telling a story, not measuring your weenus.

Here is the character App:

Code: Select all

Character's Name:
Group size (More than 3, TG me):
Character's Age:
Items that Character currently has (for survivors, that means weapons, vehicles, armor, food to last how long):
Light? Darkness? Neutral?
Appearance:
Backstory:

Code: Select all
If applying to lead a Cultist Faction/Kingdom of Darkness

Faction Name:
Leader (fill out character app):

Got questions? Ask 'em. This is supposed to be a fun survival horror galactic apocalypse RP driven by characters. Fill out an app, have some fun.

I could also use a Co-op

OOC: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=350844
Last edited by Adventus Secundus on Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The supreme function of reason is to show man that some things are beyond reason”---Blaise Pascal
"Just by being themselves, they make the best case against humanism." Luke Winkie

Constantinopolis wrote:
To paraphrase C.S. Lewis, I would choose to live as if God existed even if I knew He didn't. Either I am on the side of Life Victorious, or I am making a defiant but hopeless last stand against the all-consuming abyss. It does not really matter which it is. I am doing the right thing either way.

Adventus Secundus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Adventus Secundus » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:52 pm

The Remains, Colorado Springs. Amica (Fortis Class Vessel) auto-factory 187 (Repurposed)

“Domine, non sum dignus et intres sub tectrum meum; sed tantum dic verbo, et animam meam aminabatur”

The whispered penance of the congregation echoed in the makeshift chapel. The priest who ministered before the crude, welded altar approached, his acolyte following with the chalice of wine. Of such wine as could be made in these dry and dying lands. Anacletus leaned forward and accepted the Host. The priest made the sign of the cross upon his brow, and he could feel the power flowing out and through him.

“Corpus Domini nostri Jesu Christi custodiat animam tuam in vitam aeternam.”

“Amen.”

He partook of the wine, the bitter tang of the barely-aged liquor burning a path down his throat.

“Corpus tuum, Domine, quod sumpsi, et sanguis quem potavi, aheareat visceribus meis...” The priest intoned after all had partaken of communion. Anacletus bowed his head in prayer (translated from the Latin)

“Lord, have mercy upon me and these, your people. Grant us peace and safety, Thou who art Thine people’s shield and the life of the land, restore the dying world. Aid me and my companions in our task, and help us to be obedient to the mission we now face. Guard Thou my people while I am gone, and keep them free from the perils that compass us about.”

As the rite concluded, Anacletus rose and crossed himself, his joints stiff from long kneeling. Caius was already in the entryway of the small chapel, his arms crossed and a look of half-stifled impatience on his face.

“Paratus esne? (are you ready?)

Anacletus nodded, “Ita (yes). My father should not be kept waiting. Where is Vladimirius?”

“He’s already up there. Not everyone has as much devotion as you do.”

“They should. At least now. This could be the last time we receive communion.”

Caius’s eyes widened and he crossed himself. “Don’t say such things!”

“Hmm...it appears your devotion has returned.” Anacletus observed drily. “Rapidly. Let’s go.”

Caius followed him up the ancient metal stair and into the bowels of the ship. It was a long climb along narrow, poorly lit causeways that smelled of must and smoke.Once, not so long ago, five thousand people had lived here. They had fled, even as the rest of the fleet of the Protectorate sacrificed themselves in a futile stand against the oncoming tide of...creatures. Monsters the size of planetoids had followed, enough to blot out the sun.

Even as the dark, demonic tide had poured through the causeways of Adventus Secundus, through the parks and the cities, killing everything and everyone. The last transmission had been two years ago, a garbled prayer to whoever...whatever was listening to remember the names of the six survivors. Not a plea for help, just a call to memory. A feeble candle against the shadow.

The colonists on Earth had found a nearly empty land. Civilization on earth had succumbed early, at least here in the west. But plague swept the colony, just before the Dark Things fell from heaven, relentlessly pursuing them. And the war had gone on.
Anacletus knocked on the bridge door, and someone cranked the wheel. The hatch swung open with a reluctant groan. The ship had been broken into once in Anacletus’s lifetime, and the compartments had been the only thing that had stopped the monsters. He pushed the memory aside and stepped through.
“Welcome, son. I trust Communion has renewed you, body and soul?”
His father, a tall strong man with dark hair, crushed him in a welcoming embrace. Anacletus hugged him back, then they stood at arm’s length.
“Yes, father. Thank you for allowing me to attend Mass.”
“You are a Knight of the Faith Militant, son. It is your duty.”
“Knights-apprentice, father. Only an apprentice”
Marcus stepped back, and gestured his son towards the briefing table, the heart of the old Information Command Center.
“Hostile activity has reduced in this area over the last few months. They think they managed to kill us all off in that last assault. Let’s hope they still think that.”
Caius let out a heartfelt Amen.
“Even so,” Marcus continued, “You are forbidden to use your rifles until you are at least thirty miles away. If you are attacked, you will have to resort to swords and kindjals.”
Anacletus glanced at the treasured impervaluminum longsword that hung at his side. His fingers found the well-worn scales of the grip.
“We have had brief radio contact with some enclaves near Portland, as you know. We have reason to believe there are survivors in the area. You will find them . We have stockpiled all terrain vehicles and the necessary solid state fuels thirty miles from here. He smiled bitterly, the fuel here had all been used up years ago in humanity’s death throes. “After that, you’re on your own. Your objective is to find as many survivors as possible, and maybe, somewhere, someplace, that has not been destroyed by these monsters. God go with you.”

Four hours later

They slipped out of the external airlock even as the sun slipped below the horizon. Most of the creatures could not hunt well in twilight. Anacletus looked blearily at the barren heights of the mountains, now painted with the last rays of faint light. Day was no more day as such. It was simply less dark.
The tattered robes they wore over the impervaluminum composite armor helped them blend with the dark earth, and like shadows they slipped towards their objective. It would be a long night.
Last edited by Adventus Secundus on Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The supreme function of reason is to show man that some things are beyond reason”---Blaise Pascal
"Just by being themselves, they make the best case against humanism." Luke Winkie

Constantinopolis wrote:
To paraphrase C.S. Lewis, I would choose to live as if God existed even if I knew He didn't. Either I am on the side of Life Victorious, or I am making a defiant but hopeless last stand against the all-consuming abyss. It does not really matter which it is. I am doing the right thing either way.

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 16, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:37 pm

In the Rocky mountains, North of Colorado Springs

He had been creeping slowly across the snow for a few minutes now. He had spotted them two days ago. A werewolf and his hostage. She was a young girl, around 12 from what Bruce had seen of her. Her family was living in an old cabin in the lower mountains. One night while Bruce was riding by he saw the massive beast running through the woods with the girl crossed his shoulder. He had attempted to track him down. By the time he had finally found the beast, it was dawn and he had turned. Bruce would have liked to kill him, but he noticed that the man had begun to inspect a map of the state. It appeared that he was going to a specific location. As much as Bruce wanted to kill the savage, he was curious as to where exactly he was going. Even more curious was the fact that he had refused to kill or even touch his young hostage. He obviously had plans for her.

Now, after two days of travel and surveillance. Bruce had tracked the kidnapper down to a black and very shabby old cabin in the woods. He had saw the man and the girl walk inside. Although it was not a full moon out, the werewolf man was still a very large and menacing person, whom looked like quite a threat in close combat. Bruce took out his binoculars and looked out at the cabin. He tried to peer through the windows, but they were blotted out with something dark. He stood up and began to slowly creep across the dark and snowy path in front of him. His Shot gun was at the ready, his breath was steady and his ears were perked up trying to pick up any noise he could. He eventually reached the back of the cabin. He saw a black and splintery door on the back. He slowly reached his hand out and grasped the rusty door knob. He slowly turned it, trying not to make any noise. His entire body was rigid with how much anticipation was flowing through him. Not a creak was made. He began to open the door slowly. He then peaked his Shot gun through the small crack and began to open the door just wide enough for him to fit. He quietly shut the door behind him.

He had Entered a very dark hall way, made up of splintery floor boards and moldy walls. The only faint light that came into that place, came from the entrance to another room that. He could mumbling and walking from there. He slowly made his way across the floor to the entrance. He peaked across the entrance to see the other side. It was once a living room by the looks. In one corner stood the wolf-man in front of a table, with the only light in the house coming down from the ceiling above it. To the Wolman's right, was a very tired and exhausted 12 year old girl. Bruce's heart was elated she was still alive. He through the shotgun across his back. He began to walk slowly across the living room floor, his hand on his short sword ready to draw. It was not until he made his first few steps into the living room did he realize what surrounded him. Dried white bones, and small pools of red blood stained the walls and floors of the room. The room reeked of death and rot. It was almost too much for Bruce's nose to bear. He quickly and clumsily made the next few steps. CREAK! The sound from the floorboard had filled the entire room. The wolfman had turned around to catch a split second look of Bruce's face, before a foot long short sword was drawn with lighting speed severing the beast's head from it's body. It's knees hit the floor, then then rest of it fell. The girl sitting in the corner barely registered what had happened. Bruce sheathed his sword and slowly bent down to the girl. " It's okay, I've got you now." He said as he picked her up. " God," he thought, " Please don't let her mind be gone." He carried her back to his motorcycle, which was over a mile way. When his dog, Samson, saw his approach, the massive mutt jumped out of the passenger seat and greeted his master happily. Bruce simply smiled " Good boy." He placed the girl in front of him where he sat, and had Samson ride in the passenger. " God, help us both." he said aloud, as he roared his engine starting his quest back to the girls home.
Orthodox Christian, Nationalist, Reactionary, Stoic

(2 Kings 2:23-25): you won't be dissappointed

Adventus Secundus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Adventus Secundus » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:14 am

Academy Drive, Former USAFA

The three cloaked figures came to a halt just outside the old Academy Hospital. The building was gutted now, but the parking structure still stood, gaunt in the semidarkness against the light snow-covered mountains.
Anacletus took point, sword drawn, rifle still hanging at his back. They rounded the corner. Nothing but the tarpaulin-covered shapes of the vehicles. ATV's, armored cars. In the far recesses, a Hasta-class deep space shuttle hunched beneath its covers.
"Clear."
"Clear."
A moment's pause as Caius reached his corner. "Clear."
Anacletus threw back the tarp. A Condor assault vehicle. Designed to brave the wastes of the Martian desert. Perfect. Solar powered and solid state fueled. A grenade launcher and a heavy flechette turret.
The door hissed open.
"Ah, that new car smell."
"Shut up Vladimirius." Caius got into the driver's seat.
The truck powered on silently and rolled out of the garage with the faint whisper of rubber on concrete.
Three young men. A new assault vehicle. One long road trip. What could go wrong?

It was then that they heard the motorcycle tearing down I-25.
Caius gunned the accelerator and the Condor shot forward like a black wraith. Fellow survivors. Or a motorcycle scout from the Cultists. Either way...Anacletus thought as he powered up the passenger side targeting monitor, they would intercept them.

Constantinopolis wrote:

Adventus Secundus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Adventus Secundus » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:50 am

Sol System: Fleet of the Darkness, High Priest's Capital Ship, Animate Void

<I figure the villains deserve an intro>

The man who had once been Jason Vorhees waved the ceremonial killing knife over the still form of the young woman, spattering the worshippers with sacred blood, his crimson robe saturated with her lifeblood.

"Ia! Ia! The sacrifice is good! Masters hear us!"

Across the mighty fleet...all the vessels of Terra's long lost empire...the coms opened with shrieks and shouts of ecstatic worshippers as they watched the televised rite. There was an explosion on one channel as an aged airlock gave way and the celebrants of that particular orgiastic communion were vented before ship systems could respond. All well and good, the Priest of the Unnameable thought. The Sons and Daughters of the Masters who accompanied the fleet would feed on the bodies and be strengthened, all the more adding to the worship of the gods.

He stood for a second, arms raised above the writhing crowd, gory hands spread in benediction, face contorted in ecstasy. The madness was release. It was freedom from a life of restraint and suppression. One with the universe and the horrors that ruled it.

Soon all the universe would feel it. Even now, the factions on Earth and in Sol, warring cults of mad gods though they be, looked to him as Chief Celebrant. He who had stood before Cthulhu, who had lain with Shub-Niggurath. Only he could unite them like this, for an hour. For a day of worship in the void. Close to the deepest darkness.

He closed his eyes and listened. The frenzied sex and violence and dancing of the worshippers. In it he could hear Their voices.

Ia! Ia!

Darkness would fall from eternity to eternity now.

Constantinopolis wrote:

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:32 pm

Bruce was riding furiously down the road. He checked down on the girl, she had fallen asleep. She was very pale. She was quite cold when he found her in the cabin, but she was beginning to warm up. He wanted to get her home as soon as possible. He looked over to his passenger seat and noticed that Samson had his head turned around. " Bark!" Bruce looked behind him. Through the trees, he could see some headlights a ways back and gaining. ' not now!' he pulled the motorcycle over on the road into the woods. He pulled the girl up into his arms off the seat. He threw his jacket over her to keep her warm. He pressed his and her body against the snow covered ground. He didn't know who was in that vehicle, and he wasn't going to take any chances while the girl was with him. He had one had on his .357 in case he had to pull it out. Samson lay by his side, trying to keep quite, but also quite eager, the same as his master.

Adventus Secundus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Adventus Secundus » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:04 am

"Celeriter! Evadet!" The Condor shot forward. The motorcyclist, a shadowy figure on the edge of their headlight's range, suddenly dissapeared.
"Desiste! Desiste nunc!" The vehicle screeched to a halt. Anacletus swept the perimeter with the infrared targeting system. There. Two forms. The man had the right idea but Protectorate technology was leaps and bounds ahead of whatever primitive systems he was used to.
Anacletus keyed the mike, reminding himself to speak English. it came out a little stilted.

"Habeo----I have you in my sights. Do not attempt to run or you will be fired upon. Advanced and be recognized."
Last edited by Adventus Secundus on Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Constantinopolis wrote:

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:40 pm

Bruce knew that they weren't lying. He got up and made sure to keep the girl and Samson down. He slowly walked out on to the road and he pulled out his snub-nosed SMG and pointed it right at the bright lights of the truck. " I don't want any trouble. I am transporting a very sick girl back to here home. Just let us go, and we can all walk away from this no problem."

Adventus Secundus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Adventus Secundus » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:14 am

Anacletus's eyes narrowed. The readouts were consistent with a young human and a...canine. He hadn't seen a dog alive in years. He keyed the mike.

"I don't know if you are telling the truth. You could carry our whereabouts back to the Cultists for all I know. We cannot let you go, but we can escort you back to your destination to see if your story is true."

Constantinopolis wrote:

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:55 pm

Adventus Secundus wrote:Anacletus's eyes narrowed. The readouts were consistent with a young human and a...canine. He hadn't seen a dog alive in years. He keyed the mike.

"I don't know if you are telling the truth. You could carry our whereabouts back to the Cultists for all I know. We cannot let you go, but we can escort you back to your destination to see if your story is true."

He cocked his head to the side. " How do I know that you are not raiders, or cultists yourselves?"

Adventus Secundus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Adventus Secundus » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:44 am

Caius glanced at Anacletus and cocked an eyebrow.
"Well?"
"Fine."

The hatch on the condor hissed open and an armored figure stepped out, robes and armor gray, one hand on the hilt of the sword that hung at his side. His hood was flung back. Clear gray eyes locked onto the armed man, measuring him. Taking in how he stood, how he held his weapon. He stepped forward again.

"I am Anacletus Marksson, Knights-Apprentice of the Faith Militant, guardian of the Remnants of Adventus Secundus in exile, and friend of Jesus. You have my word as assurance, stranger." His voice was firm and slightly accented. Latin never quite left the intonation of Adventians, even when they spoke other tongues.

He extended his hand to Bruce to shake. "And who might you be, stranger?"

Constantinopolis wrote:

Levis Avara
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Levis Avara » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:10 pm

Somewhere in Colorado

It was night Robert had managed to find himself tucked in a abandoned car near a Texaco station.Whispering to himself the verse he had learned has a child in bible study it was what gave him peace of mind in these troubled times."The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness For His name's sake…. Before he could finish the verse he heard a scream of woman that sent a chill down his spine he quickly excited the car and saw two men garbed in black hoods o holding a blonde woman by the wrists the one to the right a redhead and the left bald with green eyes. Both had faces of absolute madness the redhead grabbed a knife laughing and shouting in glee " Tonight is the night we show our eternal gratitude to our glorious and wonderful masters by sacrificing this wench may her suffering and blood fill their thirst!". Robert showed a face of clear disgust then shouted "Hey! the both of you put your knives down and release her or else I'll put lead in you head I swear to god!" aiming his shotgun at the both of them .Ignoring the gun they just giggled in delight "Come now brother join us in this righteous act by doing this you become a servant to the overlords and there is no greater joy no greater commitment then serving their will!" .Robert immediately aimed and fired at the chest of the right cultist knocking him to the snowy ground.The woman screamed wildly waving her hands,broke free and ran away the remaining cultist smiled creepily "You made the wrong decision oh well the overlords thirst can never be satisfied just means more blood,more suffering for them" He said nonchalantly he then ran pulled out a knife ready to strike only to have his brains blown apart by Roberts excellent aim,he saw the woman was still running around and in a soft soothing voice has if he was talking to puppy he walked towards her trying to calm her down. "Hey,hey, it's all right now their dead there's nothing to fear now everything's going to be okay ". She ran behind a tree has he walked slowly towards her,she then drew a knife from one of the cultist he killed "Not a step closer just leave me alone!" she said then ran from the gas station into the darkness "You won't make it out there alone!,aw fuck it". he wasn't surprised by her choice however such was the way of the world now driven by absolute madness in truth no one could be trusted this was just one of the countless ways the Elder ones had effected mankind already they inflicted unimaginable chaos and suffering and even worse had driven humanity apart and made it a enemy of itself however it was not completely hopeless he had heard of safe havens beacons of light from the few people in his travels that didn't try to kill him .He was pessimistic though everywhere he went he saw savagery that seemed to have no end werewolves,man eating witches,blighted monsters and other nightmares the closet to civilized he founded was a underground Vault near Austin built by conspiracy theorist years before the world ended and even then the people there where just having drunk endless orgy parties their attitude being the Cthulu cannot be beat we're going to be killed and that's okay might has well have a little fun while where at it. The sun began to rise in the east he watched the beauty has the sun shined on the glistening snow turning it a purplish orange he grabbed his supplies from the car and walked the empty roads to nowhere.
Last edited by Levis Avara on Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:42 am

Bruce kept the gun trained on him. " I am Bruce. I was a preacher in a town near here." His face grew hard. " what are Martians doing on Earth?"

Adventus Secundus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Adventus Secundus » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:53 am

Anacletus returned his hand to the hilt of the longsword. At least he didn't call me a Martie. Earth and Mars had not exactly been on good terms when the Darkness fell.

"It's not just earth, Bruce. It's Mars. It's Saturn. The colonies fell. They hit Adventus Secundus especially hard. We would have ran further, but we barely survived leaving Martian orbit."

Constantinopolis wrote:

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:55 am

Adventus Secundus wrote:Anacletus returned his hand to the hilt of the longsword. At least he didn't call me a Martie. Earth and Mars had not exactly been on good terms when the Darkness fell.

"It's not just earth, Bruce. It's Mars. It's Saturn. The colonies fell. They hit Adventus Secundus especially hard. We would have ran further, but we barely survived leaving Martian orbit."

Bruce nodded his head. " All right, I'll believe that. If you follow me, I can show you the girl I am carrying. After that, you let us go."

Adventus Secundus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Adventus Secundus » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:08 am

"Bruce..."
Something shrieked in the night beyond the circle of the floodlight. It was answered by a croaking whistle and the thud of something heavy not far away. Something moving. Anacletus' head whipped around.

"Flyers!" Caius shouted through the open hatch of the Condor. The main turret swung around and spat hate into the night.

Another thud shook the pavement. Something else was coming close.

Anacletus whirled around. "Grab the girl. Get in the truck."

Constantinopolis wrote:

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:33 am

Bruce looked to the sky, then back to the truck. He then took off down the snow covered side of the road. Samson was looking up at the sky and giving a low growl. He scooped up the girl in his arms " Lets go boy." he said. Before he had come back onto the road however, he looked back at his bike. He was really going to miss it. He went over to the side compartment and grabbed his duffle bag full of weapons and supplies and through that over his shoulder. By the time he was running on the road toward the truck, he could already see the bats or "flyers" as the Martian called them. Their leathery wings and bat like faces were lit up by the firing of the truck turret. There were dozens of them. He ducked his head as he past by the back of the truck. He jumped into the open doors of the back and waited for Samson to jump in with him before he furiously slammed them shut. " Lets go!"

Adventus Secundus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Adventus Secundus » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:46 am

Anacletus muttered an oath as one of the flyers slammed into the armored truck, claws scraping along the side as it tried to latch on to something. Eyes glued to the targeting system, he depressed the turret and unloaded a burst into the creature. It shrieked and spun away, nearly cut in half.

"Domine." Vladimirius' voice cut across the chaos of the suddenly crowded cockpit. "Debes videre hoc."

Anacletus flicked the viewer to rearward infrared camera...they had shut off the lights as soon as Bruce jumped in. He barely contained a groan.

Behind them was a pack of ghouls, running fast. At least twelve, each twice the height of a man. They might not overtake the Condor, but they would be able to follow tirelessly close behind. He pulled away from the targeter and glanced at Bruce.

"Ghouls. Twelve. We were headed West when we met you, and our best chance is to lose them in the mountains....they don't thrive in the cold. What's the nearest road we can take?"

Constantinopolis wrote:

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:59 am

Adventus Secundus wrote:Anacletus muttered an oath as one of the flyers slammed into the armored truck, claws scraping along the side as it tried to latch on to something. Eyes glued to the targeting system, he depressed the turret and unloaded a burst into the creature. It shrieked and spun away, nearly cut in half.

"Domine." Vladimirius' voice cut across the chaos of the suddenly crowded cockpit. "Debes videre hoc."

Anacletus flicked the viewer to rearward infrared camera...they had shut off the lights as soon as Bruce jumped in. He barely contained a groan.

Behind them was a pack of ghouls, running fast. At least twelve, each twice the height of a man. They might not overtake the Condor, but they would be able to follow tirelessly close behind. He pulled away from the targeter and glanced at Bruce.

"Ghouls. Twelve. We were headed West when we met you, and our best chance is to lose them in the mountains....they don't thrive in the cold. What's the nearest road we can take?"

Bruce thought for a second. " There is an old path that leads there about half a mile to the right."

Adventus Secundus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Adventus Secundus » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:20 am

The Condor screeched to the right as they hit the turn, then chugged up the steep incline, all terrain tires bounding over rocks and bumps. Caius pulled right again, concealing the assault vehicle behind a thick stand of pine. Killed the engine.

The Ghouls stopped at the trailhead and sniffed for a moment. One tentatively touched the snow. Then, for some inscrutable reason, they loped onward down the highway.

Anacletus sighed with relief. "Thank you."

Caius checked the cameras. "We lost the flyers too. I think it was just a chance encounter. If it was a hunting pack they would still be following us."

"Good." The Knights-apprentice glanced at Bruce, and at the girl. "We were headed West. My father, the Lord Protector, was in contact with survivors in Portland. Apparently that city still has a fairly large faction that is still mostly intact. Have you come into contact with any survivors?"

Constantinopolis wrote:

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:45 pm

Bruce looked down at the girl. " Her house is about a days ride north of here. Aside from that, the only survivors I meet are scavengers such as myself."

Adventus Secundus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Adventus Secundus » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:10 am

Anacletus tried to make eye contact with the girl. She still was skittish and glanced away. Still, he talked directly to her.
"Do you want to go home?"
Caius watched the exchange, curious. Bruce and the girl were the first human beings the Adventians had seen in years, and the dog was a novelty. Animals simply had no place in the Remnants....there was simply no room nor any resources to support them.

Constantinopolis wrote:

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:56 pm

" She is not well. She needs to get home to her parents so that they can take care of her."

Adventus Secundus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Adventus Secundus » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:09 pm

Valdimirius muttered something to Caius. Anacletus shot them a harsh glance.

"We can take her north, though I doubt a single family will last long in this deepening darkness. Our people have barely hung on this long." He looked at Bruce quizzically. "However did you survive?"

Constantinopolis wrote:

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:17 pm

Adventus Secundus wrote:Valdimirius muttered something to Caius. Anacletus shot them a harsh glance.

"We can take her north, though I doubt a single family will last long in this deepening darkness. Our people have barely hung on this long." He looked at Bruce quizzically. "However did you survive?"

" I have experience with fighting the dark. I just carry on and move when I have to. If we are taking her north, we should at very least pick up her family so that they may know that she is okay." Bruce began to pet Samson.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse