NATION

PASSWORD

Pokemon: The Fall of Hoenn (OOC, OPEN)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Jordslag
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Jordslag » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:04 am

Finland SSR wrote:
New Jordslag wrote:So does Red, who has at least one type that can smash your starter, has some of the most powerful moves available to the types of his Pokemon, and has the highest level Pokemon owned by an NPC in any of the games.

Of course, neither of them even begin to compare to Youngster Joey and his Top Percentage Rattata.

All Red has are overleveled NU or UU Pokemon which forces you to grind a lot. It's possible to beat him with <70 LV Pokemon quite handily.

Pikachu is a joke with a recoil attack (who puts a recoil attack on someone as frail as him?)
Charizard is too frail to deal out enough damage to matter. And Stealth Rock.
Blastoise and Venusaur are decent, but not Garchomp or Blaziken tier. Not to mention that the three starters' main attacks require recharge.
Lapras is a threat with Blizzard in the hail, but he lacks coverage on Electric types.
Snorlax is a wall without that much use. If he had things like Spikes and Toxic, then he would be a seriously threatening opponent. Why doesn't he have Rest, by the way?

Red is really overrated, and I still love him to death (dat theme). Meanwhile, Garchomp has been one of the most powerful physical sweepers since Gen 4.

Well, if we're going by his team in Black/White 2, which takes place after HG/SS, he actually does have far better moves. And since the only point in Black/White 2 in which you get to battle him is the Tournament, and he's one of the toughest battles of the entire tournament, I'd say that he's pretty competitively viable. Especially since for any Pokemon you might send out to trump one of his Pokemon, he has another that can trump that. Plus, with the addition of new, stronger moves in Black/White and Black/White 2, his Pokemon are made even more Powerful.
My favorite games are the Pokemon Games. Shoot me a TG if you want to talk about them.
Don't worry! It's all just a tall tale, okay?
Favorite Ecchi Fan of Lith and Self-Proclaimed Pokemon King of NS.
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
New Jordslag wrote:Then we can have another New York. No such thing as too many New Yorks.

And somewhere in New York, Big Jim P gets a cold shudder down his spine.

Finland SSR
Post Marshal

Founded: May 17, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Finland SSR » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:20 am

New Jordslag wrote:
Finland SSR wrote:All Red has are overleveled NU or UU Pokemon which forces you to grind a lot. It's possible to beat him with <70 LV Pokemon quite handily.

Pikachu is a joke with a recoil attack (who puts a recoil attack on someone as frail as him?)
Charizard is too frail to deal out enough damage to matter. And Stealth Rock.
Blastoise and Venusaur are decent, but not Garchomp or Blaziken tier. Not to mention that the three starters' main attacks require recharge.
Lapras is a threat with Blizzard in the hail, but he lacks coverage on Electric types.
Snorlax is a wall without that much use. If he had things like Spikes and Toxic, then he would be a seriously threatening opponent. Why doesn't he have Rest, by the way?

Red is really overrated, and I still love him to death (dat theme). Meanwhile, Garchomp has been one of the most powerful physical sweepers since Gen 4.

Well, if we're going by his team in Black/White 2, which takes place after HG/SS, he actually does have far better moves. And since the only point in Black/White 2 in which you get to battle him is the Tournament, and he's one of the toughest battles of the entire tournament, I'd say that he's pretty competitively viable. Especially since for any Pokemon you might send out to trump one of his Pokemon, he has another that can trump that. Plus, with the addition of new, stronger moves in Black/White and Black/White 2, his Pokemon are made even more Powerful.

And at the same time, the PWT takes away his main trump card, that is overleveling. Half of his team is allergic to Thunderbolt no matter what. And besides, I was mainly talking about the Mt. Silver battle, since it's the one most people associate with NPC Red.

Myself, if one would ask what's the hardest Trainer battle in Pokemon, I would say Challenge Mode Iris in B2/W2 easily takes the cake. It's called "Challenge Mode" for a reason.
I have a severe case of addiction to writing. At least 3k words every day is my fix.

Read my RWBY fanfiction!

New Jordslag
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby New Jordslag » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:57 am

Finland SSR wrote:
New Jordslag wrote:Well, if we're going by his team in Black/White 2, which takes place after HG/SS, he actually does have far better moves. And since the only point in Black/White 2 in which you get to battle him is the Tournament, and he's one of the toughest battles of the entire tournament, I'd say that he's pretty competitively viable. Especially since for any Pokemon you might send out to trump one of his Pokemon, he has another that can trump that. Plus, with the addition of new, stronger moves in Black/White and Black/White 2, his Pokemon are made even more Powerful.

And at the same time, the PWT takes away his main trump card, that is overleveling. Half of his team is allergic to Thunderbolt no matter what. And besides, I was mainly talking about the Mt. Silver battle, since it's the one most people associate with NPC Red.

Myself, if one would ask what's the hardest Trainer battle in Pokemon, I would say Challenge Mode Iris in B2/W2 easily takes the cake. It's called "Challenge Mode" for a reason.

God, Challenge Mode. Why did they make that? It's inhumane!

Trainer App (Delete the parentheses and parenthetical contents, please?)

Name: Air Helfort
Appearance (picture preferred): Image
Sex (biological gender): Male
Gender (how you see yourself): Male
Birthplace (region & town): Celestic Town, Sinnoh
Moral alignment (classic D&D grid): True Neutral

Biography: Air was born to a highly traditional family in Sinnoh. Growing up with a great respect for legends, both ancient and modern, he studied them with a passion. As soon as he was old enough, he borrowed his Father's Pokemon, wandered into Mt. Coronet, and caught his very own Absol. Naming it Tenshi, or Angel, he set out on his very own Pokemon Journey, not so much interested in Collecting Gym Badges as he was in collecting stories and myths. While he did bother himself to train at Gyms a few times, he did so purely to make his Absol stronger, so he could travel even further and find even more legends. When he eventually grew bored of the meager legends of Sinnoh, he traveled to Hoenn, a far off land with a creation trio of it's own; Air believed the Hoenn creation trio were linked to the Sinnoh creation Trio in some way. One of the Hoenn creation trio in particular caught his eye: Rayquayza, the Legendary Pokemon Lord of the sky. Digging up clues as to Rayquayza's location, he eventually found it's location to be the Sky Pillar. Traversing the Pillar with his Absol and recently caught Mighteyena, he now looks for a way to awaken Rayquayza, so that he may finally understand the myths he has been finding all these years. He seems to care little about the Rule Coalition and Resistance, considering himself to be above squabbles over Political Power. If he had to choose, however, he would choose the Resistance, since he has noted the Coalition's habit of messing up Ancient Sites.

Pokemon: (you will have few, though they may be more powerful than team member's. repeat this section for every Pokemon)
  • Absol "Tenshi".
  • Male
  • Pressure
  • Moveset:
    • Bite
    • Slash
    • Swords Dance
    • Night Slash
  • History/Personality: Absol is pretty much what it's trainer would be if he was a Pokemon. It is rather indifferent about the world and about other Pokemon, but is highly loyal to and protective of it's trainer. Born as the runt of the litter, when Air caught it, it was weak compared to most other Absol. But Air didn't give up on it. He trained Absol up, one gym at a time, until finally, it was at it's rightful strength as a proud Absol. As thanks for him never giving up on it, it has chosen to never give up on him, either.

• Mightyena "Akuma".
  • Male
  • Intimidate
  • Moveset:
    • Crunch
    • Howl
    • Roar
    • Assurance
  • History/Personality: Mightyena is the more caring of Air's two Pokemon, surprisingly. While most would be off-put by it's intimidating appearance, Air doesn't really care about appearances. Deciding that Tenshi needed some company, whether he wanted it or not, he quickly caught Mightyena near Fortree City. Mightyena doesn't mind, and now spends his days jumping on Tenshi and trying to play with him, despite Tenshi's grumbling.

Optional Section:

Personality: Air has an obsession, to the point where little else matters to him. He spends his days poring over lore, and if somebody wants to discuss myths and legends and such thing with him, that's great. But if they start talking about something else, he just... stares. Air doesn't really care for social norms. He knows about them, but he chooses not to use them, instead choosing to be precise and straight to the point. Often times he'll be so uncaring that he won't realize how much his bluntness hurt them.
Dislikes: Social norms, Politics, staying in one place.

Just putting this guy in for... plot reasons. *maniacal laughter*
Last edited by New Jordslag on Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
My favorite games are the Pokemon Games. Shoot me a TG if you want to talk about them.
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
New Jordslag wrote:Then we can have another New York. No such thing as too many New Yorks.

TriStates
Senator

Founded: Apr 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby TriStates » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:58 am

My PC's are appearing in Rustboro and Mossdeep. Anyone near who'd like interactions with some evil-doers and their evil-doings?
Vytautas wrote:There are two kinds of people in this world:
* people giving a fuck,
* people not giving a fuck,
Drink Vytautas, give a NEGATIVE FUCK!
The Burning Sun wrote:...you seem to experience what I shall completely non-offensively dub the Triplex, or TriStates Complex - you spend a ton of time crafting a beautiful work of collaboration, and then you mysteriously disappear...

The Starlight wrote:
TriStates wrote::( I don't like change...

It's coarse and dry and gets everywhere. :p

But I do get what you mean.
My Past Adventures: After World

New Jordslag
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby New Jordslag » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:59 am

TriStates wrote:My PC's are appearing in Rustboro and Mossdeep. Anyone near who'd like interactions with some evil-doers and their evil-doings?

You could have one of them interact with Cry. It'll be... interesting.
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Finland SSR
Post Marshal

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Finland SSR » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:13 am

New Jordslag wrote:
Finland SSR wrote:And at the same time, the PWT takes away his main trump card, that is overleveling. Half of his team is allergic to Thunderbolt no matter what. And besides, I was mainly talking about the Mt. Silver battle, since it's the one most people associate with NPC Red.

To give a fairly decent challenge to people who are actually good at the game? That's how I see it.
If anything, X and Y needed a Challenge Mode. Those games are waay too easy, even without Exp. Share.

Anyway... I am waiting for anything to happen in the IC. Been waiting for a fair while.
I have a severe case of addiction to writing. At least 3k words every day is my fix.

Read my RWBY fanfiction!

TriStates
Senator

Founded: Apr 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby TriStates » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:19 am

Will have a post up in a few hours, since I am going to my shift.
Vytautas wrote:There are two kinds of people in this world:
* people giving a fuck,
* people not giving a fuck,
Drink Vytautas, give a NEGATIVE FUCK!
The Burning Sun wrote:...you seem to experience what I shall completely non-offensively dub the Triplex, or TriStates Complex - you spend a ton of time crafting a beautiful work of collaboration, and then you mysteriously disappear...

The Starlight wrote:
TriStates wrote::( I don't like change...

It's coarse and dry and gets everywhere. :p

But I do get what you mean.
My Past Adventures: After World

New Jordslag
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby New Jordslag » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:23 am

Finland SSR wrote:
New Jordslag wrote:God, Challenge Mode. Why did they make that? It's inhumane!

To give a fairly decent challenge to people who are actually good at the game? That's how I see it.
If anything, X and Y needed a Challenge Mode. Those games are waay too easy, even without Exp. Share.

Anyway... I am waiting for anything to happen in the IC. Been waiting for a fair while.

I know.

But yeah, X/Y, compared to every other Pokemon game I played, was way too easy. I lost exactly one Pokemon in my battle with Lysandre, and one in my battle with Diantha. I usually lose, you know, three or four at least in the Champion battle. X/Y was a bit underwhelming.

TriStates wrote:Will have a post up in a few hours, since I am going to my shift.

Great.
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

The Templar High Council
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 27, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Templar High Council » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:28 am

New Jordslag wrote:
Finland SSR wrote:And at the same time, the PWT takes away his main trump card, that is overleveling. Half of his team is allergic to Thunderbolt no matter what. And besides, I was mainly talking about the Mt. Silver battle, since it's the one most people associate with NPC Red.

Trainer App (Delete the parentheses and parenthetical contents, please?)

Name: Air Helfort
Appearance (picture preferred): Image
Sex (biological gender): Male
Gender (how you see yourself): Male
Birthplace (region & town): Celestic Town, Sinnoh
Moral alignment (classic D&D grid): True Neutral

Biography: Air was born to a highly traditional family in Sinnoh. Growing up with a great respect for legends, both ancient and modern, he studied them with a passion. As soon as he was old enough, he borrowed his Father's Pokemon, wandered into Mt. Coronet, and caught his very own Absol. Naming it Tenshi, or Angel, he set out on his very own Pokemon Journey, not so much interested in Collecting Gym Badges as he was in collecting stories and myths. While he did bother himself to train at Gyms a few times, he did so purely to make his Absol stronger, so he could travel even further and find even more legends. When he eventually grew bored of the meager legends of Sinnoh, he traveled to Hoenn, a far off land with a creation trio of it's own; Air believed the Hoenn creation trio were linked to the Sinnoh creation Trio in some way. One of the Hoenn creation trio in particular caught his eye: Rayquayza, the Legendary Pokemon Lord of the sky. Digging up clues as to Rayquayza's location, he eventually found it's location to be the Sky Pillar. Traversing the Pillar with his Absol and recently caught Mighteyena, he now looks for a way to awaken Rayquayza, so that he may finally understand the myths he has been finding all these years. He seems to care little about the Rule Coalition and Resistance, considering himself to be above squabbles over Political Power. If he had to choose, however, he would choose the Resistance, since he has noted the Coalition's habit of messing up Ancient Sites.

Pokemon: (you will have few, though they may be more powerful than team member's. repeat this section for every Pokemon)
  • Absol "Tenshi".
  • Male
  • Pressure
  • Moveset:
    • Bite
    • Slash
    • Swords Dance
    • Night Slash
  • History/Personality: Absol is pretty much what it's trainer would be if he was a Pokemon. It is rather indifferent about the world and about other Pokemon, but is highly loyal to and protective of it's trainer. Born as the runt of the litter, when Air caught it, it was weak compared to most other Absol. But Air didn't give up on it. He trained Absol up, one gym at a time, until finally, it was at it's rightful strength as a proud Absol. As thanks for him never giving up on it, it has chosen to never give up on him, either.

• Mightyena "Akuma".
  • Male
  • Intimidate
  • Moveset:
    • Crunch
    • Howl
    • Roar
    • Assurance
  • History/Personality: Mightyena is the more caring of Air's two Pokemon, surprisingly. While most would be off-put by it's intimidating appearance, Air doesn't really care about appearances. Deciding that Tenshi needed some company, whether he wanted it or not, he quickly caught Mightyena near Fortree City. Mightyena doesn't mind, and now spends his days jumping on Tenshi and trying to play with him, despite Tenshi's grumbling.

Optional Section:

Personality: Air has an obsession, to the point where little else matters to him. He spends his days poring over lore, and if somebody wants to discuss myths and legends and such thing with him, that's great. But if they start talking about something else, he just... stares. Air doesn't really care for social norms. He knows about them, but he chooses not to use them, instead choosing to be precise and straight to the point. Often times he'll be so uncaring that he won't realize how much his bluntness hurt them.
Dislikes: Social norms, Politics, staying in one place.

Just putting this guy in for... plot reasons. *maniacal laughter*

Accepted.

Finland SSR wrote:Anyway... I am waiting for anything to happen in the IC. Been waiting for a fair while.

I'm just a bit busy, I'll be working on moving everything forward today.

I recommend all PCs in Dewford might want to find somewhere to sleep. So the transition to tomorrow can be easier.
They call me Temp. If I take too long to respond, just TG me. Or TG me whenever, I'm online 90% of the time.
Anime God of P2TM, Last of Lithianity, Bro to All, & P2TM's Villain in Glasses. Kacheen!
2014 P2TM Lifetime Achievement Award Winner. During my first year on NS. Go figure.
And 2015 Most Involved in P2TM? On a roll now!
----->Founder of The Council of the Multiverse community.<-----

New Jordslag
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby New Jordslag » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:33 am

What the hell is an EdgeLord?

And how is Bulbasaur a Green Dinosaur? It more closely approximates a plant.
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

The Templar High Council
Post Marshal

Postby The Templar High Council » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:40 am

New Jordslag wrote:What the hell is an EdgeLord?

Mirror B's nephew, IIRC.

Diji's character used to work for Mirror B in Orre, and Salv's his nephew who took over after B died.

I think that's it, right guys?
They call me Temp. If I take too long to respond, just TG me. Or TG me whenever, I'm online 90% of the time.
Anime God of P2TM, Last of Lithianity, Bro to All, & P2TM's Villain in Glasses. Kacheen!
2014 P2TM Lifetime Achievement Award Winner. During my first year on NS. Go figure.

New Jordslag
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby New Jordslag » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:46 am

The Templar High Council wrote:

Mirror B's nephew, IIRC.

Diji's character used to work for Mirror B in Orre, and Salv's his nephew who took over after B died.

Ah, I see.

I never played XD. I prefer Colloseum, because Wes is awesome, and for some reason, they didn't bring him back.
Last edited by New Jordslag on Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:47 am

Bulbasaur
Ivysaur
Venosaur

(sauros, meaning "lizard" or "reptile")

It's not at all like a dinosaur, more akin to an amphibian actually. Though it's easy to see why the name might make less educated Trainers assume that it's a dinosaur.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

The Templar High Council
Post Marshal

Postby The Templar High Council » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:51 am

New Jordslag wrote:
The Templar High Council wrote:Mirror B's nephew, IIRC.

Ah, I see.

I never played XD. I prefer Colosseum, because Wes is awesome, and for some reason, they didn't bring him back.

I liked Colosseum too. Though I never finished it.

New Jordslag
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby New Jordslag » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:48 am

Camicon wrote:

Bulbasaur
Ivysaur
Venosaur

It's not at all like a dinosaur, more akin to an amphibian actually. Though it's easy to see why the name might make less educated Trainers assume that it's a dinosaur.

He said it looked like a Green Dinosaur, which, if you google image Bulbasaur, it most assuredly does not.

How can he even know for sure what it looks like when it's in the Dark?
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Agapathapoo
Attaché

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Agapathapoo » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:56 am

The Agapathapooian goverment is organizing refugee routes to other region via boat.
underlined regions are made by other fans
bold are ones I made up just now
We have ships to Johto, Kanto, Sinnoh, Orre, Sillia, Huanghe, Vladin, Rikoto, Ransei, Kohnto, Tapeito, and... Hawaii

Kalos and Unova are too far away and inconvenient.
Telegram me if you want some free missionaries sent to you.

The Templar High Council
Post Marshal

Postby The Templar High Council » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:01 am

Agapathapoo wrote:The Agapathapooian goverment is organizing refugee routes to other region via boat.
We have ships to Johto, Kanto, Sinnoh, Orre, Sillia, Huanghe, Vladin, Rikoto, Ransei, Kohnto, Tapeito, and... Hawaii

Pal, I appreciate the effort, but firstly: this is an OOC thread, plese talk out of character, and second: this sin't an RP on a Global scale. We're singular characters in the Hoenn region, not world leaders elsewhere.

If you're interested in roleplaying, feel free to apply. But as of right now, you're doing it wrong.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:24 am

The Templar High Council wrote:
Agapathapoo wrote:The Agapathapooian goverment is organizing refugee routes to other region via boat.

Pal, I appreciate the effort, but firstly: this is an OOC thread, please talk out of character, and second: this sin't an RP on a Global scale. We're singular characters in the Hoenn region, not world leaders elsewhere.

If you're interested in roleplaying, feel free to apply. But as of right now, you're doing it wrong.

As an aside, all of the Pokemon regions are based (geographically) off of parts of Japan (culture is another matter). No region is "too far away [or] inconvenient".
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Finland SSR
Post Marshal

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Finland SSR » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:35 am

Camicon wrote:
The Templar High Council wrote:Pal, I appreciate the effort, but firstly: this is an OOC thread, please talk out of character, and second: this sin't an RP on a Global scale. We're singular characters in the Hoenn region, not world leaders elsewhere.

As an aside, all of the Pokemon regions are based (geographically) off of parts of Japan (culture is another matter). No region is "too far away [or] inconvenient".

At least pre-Gen V and not counting spinoffs (Orre is more or less based on the area around Phoenix, USA)

Read my RWBY fanfiction!

Aidannadia
Senator

Founded: Nov 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Aidannadia » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:07 pm

New Jordslag wrote:
Camicon wrote:Bulbasaur
Ivysaur
Venosaur

He said it looked like a Green Dinosaur, which, if you google image Bulbasaur, it most assuredly does not.

An anime representation can't accurately depict scales and other dinosaur like traits.

Bulbasaur is a reptilian creature that somewhat resembles a toad or a young dinosaur with a spotted blue-green hide.

Origin

Bulbasaur appears to be based on some form of Dicynodont, mammal-like reptiles from the Permian period, though it also has features from toads and frogs as well as other reptiles. Its also has visible ears, which are not seen in reptiles but are in mammals. Its bulb resembles that of a lily or onion.

And other than that, it is known as the seed-Pokémon.

The pokemon definitely has plant characteristics, but that hardly defines it wholely. Additonally, there is a theory that the noises pokemon make influenced their name, which in turn helped to develop the language and the meaning of root words in the pokemon world. For example, Charmander is not named charmander because it is a fire lizard. The root char- means fire because of the Char- lineage of pokemon. -Mander means lizard because of the -Mander pokemon. Therefore, the -Saur would develop as a root word that meant reptile because of the physiology of that pokemon.
Hey, my name is Aidan and I am still figuring out who I really am. Most of my views are some form of leftism someone could probably tell me is not leftism. I'm a guy.

New Jordslag
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby New Jordslag » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:30 pm

Aidannadia wrote:
New Jordslag wrote:He said it looked like a Green Dinosaur, which, if you google image Bulbasaur, it most assuredly does not.

An anime representation can't accurately depict scales and other dinosaur like traits.

Bulbasaur is a reptilian creature that somewhat resembles a toad or a young dinosaur with a spotted blue-green hide.

Origin

Bulbasaur appears to be based on some form of Dicynodont, mammal-like reptiles from the Permian period, though it also has features from toads and frogs as well as other reptiles. Its also has visible ears, which are not seen in reptiles but are in mammals. Its bulb resembles that of a lily or onion.

The pokemon definitely has plant characteristics, but that hardly defines it wholely. Additonally, there is a theory that the noises pokemon make influenced their name, which in turn helped to develop the language and the meaning of root words in the pokemon world. For example, Charmander is not named charmander because it is a fire lizard. The root char- means fire because of the Char- lineage of pokemon. -Mander means lizard because of the -Mander pokemon. Therefore, the -Saur would develop as a root word that meant reptile because of the physiology of that pokemon.

Ah, I see.
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:00 pm

Aidannadia wrote:
New Jordslag wrote:He said it looked like a Green Dinosaur, which, if you google image Bulbasaur, it most assuredly does not.

Origin

The Bulbasaur evolutionary line has no visual traits that would suggest "dinosaur", and it looks nothing like a Dicynodont (not entirely sure where that came from, given that even a cursory glance would reveal a number of distinct differences). Much more akin to a Cane Toad, which would also support why the Bulbasaur line is Grass/Poison.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

New Jordslag
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby New Jordslag » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:08 pm

Camicon wrote:
Aidannadia wrote:An anime representation can't accurately depict scales and other dinosaur like traits.

Origin

The Bulbasaur evolutionary line has no visual traits that would suggest "dinosaur", and it looks nothing like a Dicynodont (not entirely sure where that came from, given that even a cursory glance would reveal a number of distinct differences). Much more akin to a Cane Toad, which would also support why the Bulbasaur line is Grass/Poison.

Hmm. That's what I was thinking.

I'm just having trouble believing that Bulbasaur is in any way related to Dinosaurs, since it looks like a mammal with a plant on it's back. A Mammal with green skin, I admit, but I have a Bulbasaur in my party and never have I seen scales on it.

Now, one might argue that the green spots on it's skin are scales- but if so, what happened to the rest of them? Is the green on the rest of the body not covered by scales just blood, and all Bulbasaurs are just bleeding to death? Probably the only thing about it resembling a Dinosaur is it's cry, which does sound somewhat Dinosaur-ish.

But in no way could you mistake Bulbasaur for a 'Green Dinosaur' just based off it's appearance in the dark. In fact, I doubt Dinosaurs even existed in Pokemon. I'm almost certain of it. After all, we have fossil Pokemon, and these are clearly from the same time as Dinosaurs- but if their Fossils were preserved to this day, how come that didn't happen to the regular Dinosaurs?
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:11 pm

Amuaplye wrote:(I can't really post anything but a 1-liner because there is no action.)

See:
The Templar High Council wrote:That post was dreadful. Textbook one-liner. Now wait a minute, sometimes it's even difficult for even experienced RPers to think of ways to expand conversations. But you just got kidnapped, tied to a chair, had your Pokemon taken away, and are now held against your will in a warehouse. That provokes nothing from your character?

Your posts can include more than dialogue. What does the warehouse look like? How does your character feel? What is your character thinking? Is your character planning anything to get away? Maybe he can't do anything, but sees an opportunity to get some information from the people that have him. Or you could go the other direction, and include a flashback to reveal more about his past, what it is that is motivating him.
New Jordslag wrote:
Camicon wrote:The Bulbasaur evolutionary line has no visual traits that would suggest "dinosaur", and it looks nothing like a Dicynodont (not entirely sure where that came from, given that even a cursory glance would reveal a number of distinct differences). Much more akin to a Cane Toad, which would also support why the Bulbasaur line is Grass/Poison.

Hmm. That's what I was thinking.

I'm just having trouble believing that Bulbasaur is in any way related to Dinosaurs, since it looks like a mammal with a plant on it's back. A Mammal with green skin, I admit, but I have a Bulbasaur in my party and never have I seen scales on it.

Now, one might argue that the green spots on it's skin are scales- but if so, what happened to the rest of them? Is the green on the rest of the body not covered by scales just blood, and all Bulbasaurs are just bleeding to death? Probably the only thing about it resembling a Dinosaur is it's cry, which does sound somewhat Dinosaur-ish.

But in no way could you mistake Bulbasaur for a 'Green Dinosaur' just based off it's appearance in the dark. In fact, I doubt Dinosaurs even existed in Pokemon. I'm almost certain of it. After all, we have fossil Pokemon, and these are clearly from the same time as Dinosaurs- but if their Fossils were preserved to this day, how come that didn't happen to the regular Dinosaurs?

Relicanth's suggest that there are Pokemon which have survived extinction-level events that would presumably have wiped out Pokemon like Rampardos, Omastar, etc.

You are right though: nobody could mistake a Bulbasaur for a dinosaur (always looked more like a Cane Toad with an onion plant on it's back, to me). And Venusaur has distinctly bumpy, wart-like skin across it's legs, like a toad.
Last edited by Camicon on Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

New Jordslag
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby New Jordslag » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:19 pm

Camicon wrote:
Amuaplye wrote:(I can't really post anything but a 1-liner because there is no action.)

See:
The Templar High Council wrote:That post was dreadful. Textbook one-liner. Now wait a minute, sometimes it's even difficult for even experienced RPers to think of ways to expand conversations. But you just got kidnapped, tied to a chair, had your Pokemon taken away, and are now held against your will in a warehouse. That provokes nothing from your character?

Your posts can include more than dialogue. What does the warehouse look like? How does your character feel? What is your character thinking? Is your character planning anything to get away? Maybe he can't do anything, but sees an opportunity to get some information from the people that have him. Or you could go the other direction, and include a flashback to reveal more about his past, what it is that is motivating him.
New Jordslag wrote:Hmm. That's what I was thinking.

Relicanth's suggest that there are Pokemon which have survived extinction-level events that would presumably have wiped out Pokemon like Rampardos, Omastar, etc.

You are right though: nobody could mistake a Bulbasaur for a dinosaur (always looked more like a Cane Toad with an onion plant on it's back, to me). And Venusaur has distinctly bumpy, wart-like skin across it's legs, like a toad.

Camicon, I can't help but feel that you are a far better Co-Op than I am. Stop making me look bad. :p
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse