NATION

PASSWORD

With Fire and Steel - AH RP (IC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kahlenberg
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 04, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Kahlenberg » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:25 am

The Mughal Empire
گورکانیان
مغلیہ سلطنت

11 Shawwal 1210 A.H. | April 19th, 1796

जिस की लाठी उस की भैंस [Whoever owns the lathi (cane/stick) eventually owns the buffalo] - Indian proverb

The Red Fort - Delhi - The Mughal Empire

The interior of the Red Fort - Delhi

'I am absolutely positive. My decision is final.' The deep voice of the Shah [Emperor] resounded through the court room of the Red Fort, silencing the men that had gathered to advice their liege. Parkish Sikh, one of the Shahs most trusted Dewan [Advisors], bowed his head respectfully. He was wearing a deep blue dastar [turbin], a long, grey gown and his traditional iron bracelet. Even his kirpan [traditional Sikh dagger] he wore in plain sight, notwithstanding the rule that weapons were to be left outside of the court room. The Shah had specifically granted permission to his Sikh Dewan to carry their daggers, to show his respect for Sikh traditions. Parkish suspected opportunistic motives for this - he knew very well that the Shah was always weary of a possible Sikh revolt and that he would go through lengths not to insult or anger them. The fact that the Shah had just decided to visit Punjab on his next tour of his Empire only confirmed Parkish in his suspicions.

'I would like to convene on the subject of the foreign occupation of much of our coastal areas next,' the Shah continued. 'The English, the Dutch, the Spanish, the Portuguese..'. The Shah fell silent. He looked at each of his advisors; some Muslim, some Hindu, some Sikh like Parkish, before he continued to speak again.

'A long time ago, my family arrived as conquerers to these lands. Blood was shed. It was necessary, for peace to prevail. We have brought knowledge, prosperity and abundance to its people.' All the Dewan bowed, in recognition of their Emperor. 'We have done so respecting and even absorbing the wisdom already present in the regions we conquered. Our Empire is based on mutual learning, on a desire to improve what should be improved, to perfect what ought to be perfected.' He paused once more, staring through the court room, seemingly lost in thoughts. 'Yet these Westerners, they come here not to learn. They come here to plunder. To loot. To take what isn't theirs. To steal the fruits of our labour; the riches of our lands. They do not respect the local wisdom, they simply replace it with their own customs and behaviour through the use of force.'

None spoke. The room remained silent for minutes.
'Still they appear to be powerful adversaries. We have yet to gain a victory over them. Our mighty horsemen have failed to drive them back into the sea, and I do not believe we will soon be able to muster the military might necessary to do so. That is why I seek your advice, Durbar [Court]. I believe we should, once again, absorb wisdow in order to grow stronger. We need to learn from the Westerners. And in order to be able to learn from them, we need to win their trust. Council, I believe it is time to befriend one of the Western nations.'

'Am I allowed to present my position on this matter, oh Shah?'. The hoarse, gruff voice of Tayib Agrawal, one of the Shahs most trusted and senior Hindu advisors, resounded through the majestic hall. Agrawal was known to have travelled the world. One of the most renowned Hindu Merchants, he had spent years in China, the Indonesian archipellago and the various Asiatic Hindu Kingdoms. The travels that made him legendary, however, had taken him to Europe. Aboard a Portuguese merchantman he had travelled from Goa to Lisbon; and from there onwards to see Rome, Genoa and Venice. He had spent a few years in Venice, before boarding a ship to London. There, he had adviced local merchants about profitable trade routs with his home country. He had travelled to Amsterdam aboard a Dutch fluyt ship and had finally returned to Asia as a part of a grand Dutch merchant fleet. In the Shahs Court, he was regarded as a beacon of knowledge when it came to the Western world.

'Please, my loyal Dewan,' the Shah replied. Agrawal made a bow.

'Four options present themselves,' the Hindu merchant acclaimed. 'Let me start with the country I deem least fitting to befriend, my Shah. The Portuguese.' Agrawal paused, spying around the room. 'The Portuguese are, in my opinion, unreliable snakes. Their country is past its peak. They clench to their faith and have been most fanatic in converting our brothers and sisters in Goa to accept the word of Jesus Christ. To me, it is unlikely that the Portuguese will ever be able to look past our differences in faith. Even if they would, they would lack the power to protect us from the other Western powers. No, the Portuguese do not seem a wise choice, my liege..'

'My loyal Dewan, I respect your thoroughness and I do appreciate your most detailled accounts, but I am a very busy man, you see. Could you please limit yourself to presenting choices you do find to be viable?' the Shah responded, as the Hindu merchant paused.

'Of course, my liege,' Agrawal replied. 'I understand that it will come as a surprise to some of you, but I do not believe befriending the English is the path we should take. They are powerful, yes, but power-hungry, and they seem particularly hungry to devour our lands and make them their own.. Nay, I would advice you to first send an envoy to.. the Dutch..'

Mumbling was audible. It was clear that not everybody agreed with the Hindu Merchant.

'Allow me to explain,' he said. 'The Dutch, of all Westerners, are easiest to understand. They do not care about local cultures. They do not care about local rituals or customs. All the Dutch care about is coin. Profit. The Dutch would trade with the Asuras [Devil-gods of Hinduïsm] or Iblis [Devil in Islam], if it would bring in coin.'

Some of the Dewar chuckled, other looked stern. The Shah maintained a straight face. It was impossible to read what he thought of the advice.

'Coin, my Shah, is exactly what we can provide them with. Offer them favorable trade rights. In return, they can teach us how to organize our military more efficient. But not only that - the Dutch are the most scientifically advanced nation I came across during my travels of Europe. If they would be willing to trade the secrets their scholars discovered with us, we could improve our society, our production processes, our farming. It could bring great prosperity to our lands. If there is one people we could learn from, it would be the Dutch.'

A Muslim scholar, standing to the right of Parkish, opened his mouth to protest, but the Shah raised his hand and the room fell quiet.

'Do it. Write a letter to the Dutch. Bring it to their colony of Karachi. I want you, oh Dewar Agrawal, to be my envoy to them. You speak their language. Take a caravan of our most precious goods, as a gift to their leader.'

'By befriending us with the Dutch, we alienate ourselevs from their Western advisaries. I am not knowledgeable about the current power division in Europe, but it is something we need to find out. Traditionally, the Dutch have switched between friendship and hatred with the English. I will find out more about the situation in Europe, and let you know of it by messenger, oh Liege,', Agrawal acclaimed. 'Thank you for the honour to be your envoy. I will depart this forthnight.'

In name of the Mughal Emperor

Encryption: Highest
To: The Governor of Dutch Karachi

Most honored Governor,

It is with this writing that I wish to extend a formal greeting to you and your countrymen. My Shah has sent me on a mission to improve the ties between our nations. He believes firmly that the faiths of our two glorious nations should be more closely intertwined.

That is why he has sent me, bearing gifts, to negotiate an agreement of durable friendship between our nations. He asks you, Governor, to allow me transportation to your glorious home country to confer with your leaders about the prosperity enhanced cooperation between our nations could bring to our both countries.

Yours truly,

Dewar Tayib Agrawal

On behalf of:

Shahanshah [King of Kings] Alam,
Sahib-e Qiran-i sani [The Second Lord of Auspicious Conjunction],
Al Khaqan Al Mukarram [The Honoured Khan],
Al-Sultan-Al-Azam [the Great Sultan],
Zillu'llah [Shadow of God]
Last edited by Kahlenberg on Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sveltlana
Minister

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sveltlana » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:38 am

Rossiyskaya Imperiya
The Russian Empire

Съ нами Богъ!

-THEME-

2. ... and a foreign war
1 · 3
11 March, 1796

The Tsarskoe Palace in Moscow, 1798

Moscow, Mosvka Oblast
Tsarskoe Palace
3 April 1796

-reply to bosnia-
-reply to habsburg-
-reply to prussia-
-reply to New Khanate-

To the Foreign Relations Office of the New Khanate:

Greetings,

Alexander I Pavlovich Jagiellon, Emperor of All Russia

On behalf of the Emperor,
Dmitri Fyodorovich Perevalov
Chancellor of Russia

Moscow, Mosvka Oblast
Tsarskoe Palace
23 April 1796

Suvorov enters italy with the Expeditionary Force (ca. 60.000 men, 15.000 horse, mostly cossack, 2.000 artillerymen with some 90 guns), combined Russian and Austrian

-other-
Last edited by Sveltlana on Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ASTURIAS STRONK

Now, mortal, you have made the mistake of opening Pandora's Box. What evils have you unleashed upon the Earth?

Me, Svet lol good one svet
Me, Svet
: ikr svet it was pretty good

-- Politics --
Fuck that.

Senka: [about me] "You are a deplorable reactionary fascist cockroach with no hope of redemption who should be condemned to burn with the rest of the plutocratic imperialist stooges in the cleansing atomic fire of the righteous."

The Kingdom of Glitter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 08, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Kingdom of Glitter » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:33 am

The United Provinces of Columbia

Verenigde Provincies van Kolumbië

2 May 1796
Washington D.C., Columbia
The Capitol Building

As often, a Chamber dialogue was in progress. The Chamber of Representatives was discussing whether or not the federal government would recognize Franklin as part of the Union. Representative Rutger Grijswoud of Zeeland was making all sorts of efforts to attract the attention of Representative Matthew Lyon of Vermont. The two men came from opposing parties, as Grijswoud was a Federalist and Lyon a Democratic-Republican. The fierce rivalry between the two parties was upheld deeply by various members of both faction. Lyon was of the belief that the Federalists did not deserve his attention, so he deliberately ignored Grisjwoud's now futile attempts. Grisjwoud grew frustrated with Lyon, and turned to the Representative next to him.
A political cartoon of the brawl between
Rep. Grisjwoud and Rep. Lyon

"Damn those Democratic-Republicans, and damn Lyon. That damned scoundrel should not be serving here anyway." he said in passing.

Griswjwoud had now captured Lyon's attention, who was enraged by his profane language. "At least I fight for the common man and not for myself, unlike your prissy arse." Lyon screeched in his thick Irish accent.

The Dutchman would not ignore Lyon either. "You claim you fight for the common man, and I surely hope it isn't with a wooden sword. Surely it would be har-" Before Grisjwoud could finish, Lyon spat right in his face. Grisjwoud was properly outraged and began cursing Lyon in his native tongue. He grabbed his cane and promptly chased Lyon up against the fire place. In between blows Lyon grabbed the tongs used to fuel the fire and began blocking Grisjwoud's attacks.

"You damned Federalists! Adams is a scoundrel, ravaging our Constitution! I'll beat you're sorry arse and then I'll beat his!" Lyon shouted before he struck Grisjwoud across the face. Several fellow congressmen rushed over to separate the pair. Speaker Mulder hurried out to retrieve some of the guards, who rushed into the Chamber and drug Lyon out.

Grisjwoud was also removed, but was taken to a doctor in order for his face to be tended to. The Federalists were a spiteful lot, and Adams refused to be embarrassed. Since Lyon condemned the Federalists and Adams, it was considered a violation of the Alien and Sedition Acts, and Adams had him subsequently arrested.

5 May 1796
Jefferson Resident

"Gentlemen, could I fetch you some more tea?" one of the Jeffersons' slaves asked a room full of Columbian political elite.

"No Calpurnia, I am quite good." Jefferson said as his political allies responded in a similar fashion. The servant hurried out of the room to check on Mrs. Jefferson and some of the other wives who were visiting while their husbands discussed government. Members of the Federalist Party would often gather at the Jefferson's to discuss recent political events, but today one of them was missing.
Thomas Jefferson circa 1791

"I can't believe Lyon got himself thrown in jail." Representative Robert Williams of North Carolina said.

"I myself am not surprised Adams had him locked up, he wants to send as message to all of us to ensure we will keep quiet. The election is only a few months away." Senator John Langdon of New Lancaster replied. "I do not see how I am supposed to campaign, especially in the Federalist stronghold of New England, if I cannot speak out against the Federalists."

"There is no need to worry about that, John." Representative Jakob Leyen of Barnegat said. "They're digging their own graves. The Acts are incredibly unpopular all over the country. They face mass losses in the South, and even support up North is waning for them."

"Their policy on the French does not help them either. No matter what I tell Adams the fool is convinced the French want to destroy us." Jefferson said. "It is getting old, and I'm quite tired of that fool and I am sure the Columbian people are the same way. On the topic of Lyon, I know Adams well enough to say he will keep him in a cell long enough to try and prevent him from winning his seat again. No matter, the Federalists will lose plenty that if they pick up Lyon's seat it will not matter."

"What are we going to do about the French, Jefferson?" Representative John Fowler of Kentucky asked.

"Wait. The French will mascaraed around Europe, and if you want my opinion that is fine. However, while they focus on Europe they will be forced to neglect their holdings around us. Adams would want to invade, but Adams is a fool. Instead of an invasion, the French would likely be open selling us the lands that make up the Viceroyalty of Louisiana. This would give us a border with the Mexicans, and we would be able to better keep them in check."

"An interesting idea. Let's hope Adams doesn't declare war on the French before we are able to act." Senator Stevens Mason of Virginia declared.

"Aye, I could drink to that!" Representative Robert Bruin of Pennsylvania shouted.

11 May 1796
Orange, Nieuw Holland
Governor's Mansion

An Abolition of Slavery Society
poster printed in English
"Ladies and Gentlemen! It is my honor to be hosting you in my home this evening." Governor Stephen Van Rensselaer bellowed in front of a room of guests from both Nieuw Holland and Barnegat. They had gathered at the Governor's Mansion in the provincial capital of Oranje. "As you have all likely heard, those in the Vaderland have recently abolished the international sale of persons within the Batavian Republic and her possessions. Our two provinces are the last in the North who still permit slavery. We are Dutch, descendants of a nation that was forged to achieve liberty and equality. Now, we are citizens of Columbia, yet another nation that was forged to achieve liberty and equality. It is time for our provinces to act against this devilish practice, and follow in the footsteps of the Vaderland and the rest of the provinces in the North."

The room burst into applause and cheers. "Well said, Governor! Those in Truinstad agree with you, as do I. Barnegat will stand with Nieuw Holland to abolish this barbaric practice!" Governor Richard Houwers shouted.

"Glorious news indeed!" Van Rensselaer said as the two men shook hands. "Then it is settled, the Society of Nieuw Holland and Barnegat for the Abolition of Slavery is now formed!" The room burst into applause once more.

With the political elite of the two provinces as founding members of the Society, the few plantation owners in Nieuw Holland and Barnegat were vastly outnumbered. It was only a matter of time before the provincial legislatures voted to abolish slavery within their borders, and the Society would continue to work for abolition until the legislatures acted.

23 May 1796
Office of the State Department

The State Department had yet to receive its own building, and was currently operating out of one of the seven townhouses on on the northwest corner of Pennsylvania Avenue NW and 19th Street NW. The English Embassy, the French Embassy, and the Mexican Embassy occupied three of the other buildings, and as a result the townhouses became commonly known as Embassy Row. Timothy Pickering worked rigorously out of the building and patiently awaited the construction of his own, however he now doubted one would be built during his term as Secretary of State. The popularity of the Adams Administration was at an all time low and Pickering, along with other members of the Administration, knew that their chances of defeating Jefferson in November remained slim and would only grow slimmer.

Pickering was sitting in his office when his secretary knocked on the door.

"Yes yes, come in." the Secretary of State said.

The aid handed him a letter from the Danish Prince Regent before saying "This is just in from Denmark. It was addressed to Adams, but we all know he is not fit to respond to it".

Pickering chuckled and agreed with his own secretary before dismissing him. He browsed the letter and was intrigued., as he was surprised the Danes had reached out to the Columbians. The Danes remained neutral during the Columbian War of Independence and contact between them had remained limited. In fact, the Danes had yet to set up an embassy in Washington D.C., but most nations had yet to do so. Embassies instead remained in Philadelphia, while some chose to maintain them in Nieuw Amsterdam. The proposed treaty with the Danes could prove useful to Columbian merchant shippers and farmers, and Pickering knew that Columbia was in fact much closer to Greenland than Denmark was. While the colony was small, it would be cheaper for the Danes to import goods from Columbia and in turn grow their arctic colony faster. He picked up his quill and a blank piece of paper.

His Majesty Prince Frederick, Crown Prince Regent of Denmark,

Cordial greetings!

A Treaty of Amity and Commerce between our nations could prove to be extremely beneficial. I would happily meet with any representative of the Danish Crown to discuss the potential terms of a treaty.

As you may know, our nation's capital is a young and growing city. The Danish Embassy still remains in Philadelphia. Perhaps while your representative is here he would be able to view properties with the potential to house your ambassador. He could then report back to you and your government and you could choose which property to purchase.

I eagerly await the arrival of your representative.

Written on behalf of President John Adams.

Sincerely,
Timothy Pickering
Secretary of State
Last edited by The Kingdom of Glitter on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:27 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Conwy-Shire
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Conwy-Shire » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:27 am

The Dual Kingdom of Piedmont-Suisse

Fortitudo Eius Rhodum Tenuit

Turin, Piedmonte
1st May, 1796

"Raise the flag."
The order was curt, even harsh in nature, reflecting the state of mind Garibaldi was in. The bombardment of Turin had only lasted a day, but for a man who could not sleep, it felt like an eternity.

"Here is the document, Premiere," his orderly was the only person to accompany Garibaldi into No-Man's Land, and it was very likely that his orderly would be the only person to have faith in la Premiere after that day. The flag was hoisted, and after a few brief moments, the bombardment ceased. Silence fell over Turin, blissful silence. Garibaldi's eyes closed, and for a second it looked as though he would collapse; but he had work to do, and a French General to meet.

The Piedmontese delegation rode out soon after, lucky to still have horses after the City stables were destroyed. Much of the city outskirts were burning, but thankfully the seemingly incompetent French artillery had avoided shelling the city-centre. Perhaps there was method to this madness, but Garibaldi was far too pre-occupied with the massive army in front of him. Encircling the city like a hornets nest, la Premiere thanked God that he hadn't tried to hold out against this sea of revolutionaries.

Garibaldi and his orderly came to a halt metres short of the French line. Earthen redoubts had been constructed with alarming speed, a testament to the manpower of this Armee d'Italie. The orderly passed Garibaldi's peace offer to his superior, and together they awaited the arrival of the First Consul of France.

Terms of Surrender
The 4th Field Army and associated militias of Turin hereby stand down and surrender the city of Turin to the Consular Republic of France. This declaration is supported by a list of terms, the contents of which are open to discussion and will ultimately take effect after the under-noted sign this document as a legitimate Letter of Surrender.

The following concessions are freely given to French forces operating within the region:
- Full support of the French war effort in regards to the 'liberation of Italia', both civilian and militaristic in nature
- The establishment of a liberal and free republic modeled on the French consular republic, so as to replace the ancien regime of the current Piedmontese autocracy
- The payment of a tithe, to be quantified, as a surety of protection from the French Forces
- The commandeering of the 4th Field-Armee of Piedmonte to aid France in her Italian endeavours

The following Terms are to be desired by the Piedmontese Forces:
- The guarantee of safety from all French forces, for both those who fought and those who reside within the Piedmontese area, so long as they comply with these terms and concessions
- The cessation of French hostilities within the Piedmontese and Swiss regions, to be conducted in accordance with the above concessions
- The protection of Piedmontese lands by French Forces, for the duration of a twelve-month, whilst a new order of government is created within Piedmonte

These terms are to be agreed upon, notwithstanding annotated and conceded amendment, by the undersigned with the intent of forging a peaceful order within the Italian region;

Signed:

Umberto Garibaldi, Representative of the Piedmontese Forces

Napoleon Bonaparte, Representative of the French Consular Republic

Po Valley, Italia
4th May, 1796

- 2nd + 3rd Field-armies along with assorted government officials reach the Russian expeditionary force lead by Suvorov.

Torinese Highlands, Piedmonte
7th May, 1796

- 1st Field Army evacuates to Switzerland after indecisive skirmishes with French patrols
- Dante Filiberto is promoted to corps commander

Genua, Liguria
14th May, 1796

- King Charles receives the letter of hospitality from the British
- Marina Militaire and Royal entourage leave for London
- Communiques finally sent to Russia, Habsburg chins, Prussia

Last edited by Conwy-Shire on Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aurelian Stoicist
Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.

The Real MVP

The Kingdom of Glitter
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Kingdom of Glitter » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:58 pm

Random Events

Americas

On the 8th of May 1796 a 6.8 magnitude earthquake struck just outside of San Juan Capistrano in the Mexican state of Kalifornia. Various Roman Catholic Missions and Native American settlements were impacted by the quake.

Asia

On the 17th of May a skirmish broke out in Mesopotamia between a Persian band of soldiers and a group of Mamluk farmers. Tensions in the region are on the rise, as both the Mamlukes and Persia are now at odds once more.

Europe

Due to the recent successes of their French brothers on the field of battle, the French population of Piedmont-Suisse began a revolt on the 20th of May. They have seen success in the city of Geneva, which has defected to the French Republic. French separatists in Lausanne have seen limited success and are struggling for control of the city. The French speaking portions of Suisse now resist Piedmontese forces, of which will have to fight their way into the region in order to escape the advancing armies of Napoleon.

Kahlenberg
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Kahlenberg » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:48 am

The Mughal Empire
گورکانیان
مغلیہ سلطنت

Dhu'l Qa'Dag 9, 1210 A.H. | May 21st, 1796

तुम प्यासे हो से पहले अपने अच्छी तरह से खोदो [Make sure to dig your well before you get thirsty] - Indian proverb

Shalimar Gardens, Lahore, Mughal Empire

Artist impression of ideal-typical Mughal landscaping

Crowds had gathered to see the spectacle; the smallest of children were hoisted on their parents backs while their bigger siblings simply manouvred through the crowd trying to get to the front and be rewarded with a better view. Many of the elderly had tears of joy running down their cheeks, grateful that they were allowed to witness an actual weighing ceremony in their own province of Lahore. Sikhs, Muslims and even a few Hindus mingled to get a view of the large scales that had been set up by the wasir [highly ranked ceremonial position]. Soon, the Emperor would arrive for the celebration of his Lunar Birthday. Usually, the weighing ceremony took place in Delhi. To show himself an Emperor ruling not only in Delhi, but in the entirety of his Empire, His Grace had decided to make the four-day trip to Lahore for the occassion, making stops at several villages to meet local jagirdars [nobles] and to gather support from the common people, simply by showing himself.

Parkish Sikh was standing to the right of the large, magnificient, golden scales. The enthousiasm of the people of Lahore was understandable. The weighing ceremony always ended with the distribution of gifts among the common people. The people of Delhi had been quite disappointed - in fact quite a few riots had broken out - when the news had reached them the Shah would hold the weighing ceremony in Lahore. To quell the sudden unrest, the Shah had allowed the distribution of quite a bit extra rice. It was not something he could permit to do every year, so the gesture was unique and hoped to have a lasting positive effect on the Shahs image with the Sikh, of whom he, Parkish, was an important representative.

The jagirdar of Lahore walked towards him. He was an elderly man, a traditional Sikh like Parkish, wearing his dastar and kirpan proudly.

'Dawar Parkish. An honour to meet you,' he said, bowing before Parkish. Parkish bowed as well. 'I have received a letter for the Shah, Dawar, but feel unfitted to deliver it to him in person.'

'The honour is mine, to be received so gracefully in the most holy province of Lahore,' he replied. 'And please, show me the letter.'

The jagirdar handed the letter over. Parkish scanned it quickly. It was a first note from the Hindu Merchant Agrawal from Dutch Karachi. He had picked up interesting news about the state of European politics, that would certainly interest the Shah. Now was not the moment to hand the letter over, however.

Shahanshah [King of Kings] Alam,
Sahib-e Qiran-i sani [The Second Lord of Auspicious Conjunction],
Al Khaqan Al Mukarram [The Honoured Khan],
Al-Sultan-Al-Azam [the Great Sultan],
Zillu'llah [Shadow of God],

During the short time I have now spent in the Dutch colony of Karachi, many interesting rumours have reached my ears. The developments I was informed about are of such nature, that I felt the need to share them, oh Shah, as they might be imparitive for the position of our Empire in the world.

According to a French sailor, a revolution has taken place in his home country. The King - the Ruler I described as having the most splendid Palace I have seen during my trip of the European Continent - has been removed by his subjects and the power in France now lies in the hands of the common people. Obviously, this is an abomination, and a development that goes against the very nature of humanity. Still, it proves a situation we could perhaps use in our advantage. France is the eternal advisary of the English, and the European continent seems to be on the verge of a huge conflict between the traditional powers on the one hand (England and many of the old monarchies), and the newly emerged powers on the other.

My first estimation was that the French would stand no chance. According to many of the Europeans I have spoken to so far, this is a wrong estimation. France, in their point of view, is a potential emerging world hegemon.

Perhaps, my Shah, it is wise to send another delegation to the French colony of Pondicherry, to discuss the possibilities of coördinating our efforts in the future. Perhaps, in the long run, it will even be possible to draw the French in a joint war against the English, possibly granting them much of Madurai in exchange for renewed Mughal control over the Benghal area. I, of course, humbly leave these consideration to you, oh Shah.

I am still waiting for my audience with the Dutch governor, but am positive I will soon be received. I will contact you whenever the situation desires me to do so.

Your loyal Dewan,

Agrawal

The Shah appeared, and the crowd cheered. They fell silent as the Shah raised his hand, and now a tension was felt in the air. The Shah would be weighed against eight products; being silver, cloth, lead, tin, fruits, sweetmeats, vegetables and mustard oil. If he proved to weigh heavier then the previous year, a nights celebration would ensue. If he was lighter, it was perceived as a bad omen, and even though the distribution of livestock, food and valuables among nobles and population would still take place, the celebrations would not.

Three physicians took their place next to the golden scales, as the Shah assumed his position on the big, golden scale. Four elderly men kept the scales balanced as the other was now loaded with the different products. Women wearing traditional Persian clothing carefully placed the products aside the Emperor, in the exact quantities the Emperor had weighted last Lunar Birthday. The crows was absolutely silent as the last mug of mustard oil was placed. For a few seconds the scales were kept in balance by the old men, then they were released. Slowly, but surely, the scales containing the goods rose.

The silence was broken. The crowd and nobles started roaring in happiness and pleasure, hugging each other and patting each others back, as the Shah - broadly smiling - was helped off the scales. The future seemed bright for the Mughal Empire.

Actions:

- Envoy Agrawal arrives in Dutch Karachi, waits for audience
- Delegation sent to French Pondicherry, to discuss the possibilities for a military alliance
- Weighing ceremony celebrations in Lahore commence
Last edited by Kahlenberg on Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

The New Lowlands
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Lowlands » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:23 am

THE BATAVIAN REPUBLIC

THEME
"Concord Makes Small Things Grow Great"

10th April, 1796
FROM THE OFFICE OF THE GRAND PENSIONARY

To His Excellency the Prime Minister of the United Kingdoms of England and Ireland, William Pitt the Younger,

Dear Sir,

Regarding your most recent missive directed at the authorities in the French Republic, we wish to protest most vociferously the stance of the English government in the current conflict. As you may know England for a time in filial obligation to the commands of God did assist our Republic at the moment of its inception, and in turn we have done our due in defending English interests in Europe. Though these conflicts and occurrences be long past we would hope, at least in theory, to see England yet as a fellow in the protestant faith and a friend.

Tales of the French invasion of Italy have been much exaggerated. There is no violence being done to the civilian populace, and indeed we have heard tell of uprisings in the west of the country in support of the French incursion. As for accusations of injustice, both our states know perfectly well that the ancien régimes of Europe are colluding and allying in the shadows, and that this attack by the French- a pre-emptive strike, if you will- is only to ensure her ancient rights and customs are respected. We share your concerns over the furtherance of violence in Europe, but we beg of His Majesty's government that they see reason, and abstain from assaulting the French on a matter of defence of their own realm.

Should England refuse to comply with our kind-hearted request, then we regret to inform you that the Batavian government continues to reserve the right to block travel into the Cape of Good Hope, and although we shall certainly not refuse the needy and men in need of honest supplies to return home, we may yet impede the efforts of the British East India Company to maintain a steady link to India and to fortune. Naturally, we hope that England does not see this condition as a threat: we will simply not stand idly by when our allies are threatened for reasons beyond their control.

That God may bless and keep the United Kingdom and her people and that our governments may come to a peaceful and mutually respectful accord,

Yours Sincerely,

Jacobus Spoors, Grand Pensionary of the Batavian Republic

24th April, 1796

-a letter is penned to the honourable President Adams of Columbia.
-a reply is penned to the benificient Mughal Emperor.

General Office for Affairs in the East, Fort Batavia, Dutch East Indies
8th May, 1796

-the Chinese request is given a mediated reply by the Governor of Batavia.
-New elements of the Dutch Army conduct general drills under the command of Daendels.

Free City of Karachi, Dutch India
21st May, 1796

-the Mughal Envoy, Dewar Tayib Agrawal, is granted an audience, and allowed to speak with the Governor Karel Tasman on matters of trade.
Last edited by The New Lowlands on Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Liecthenbourg
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Liecthenbourg » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:35 am

The French Consulate Republic

Chapter 2: Bonaparte's Bombardment
Turin, May 1st, 1796

"Cease." The order came quick and true and Bonaparte dusted his hands as the flag was unfurled in Turin. The monumental amount of guns halted their barrage and Bonaparte had the frontline of his men open up, allowing the delegation from the city to ride into the encampment. They were guided into a tent, one which Bonaparte had settled for his commander centre. They were stripped of any weapons that may have been carried in and allowed to present their terms. When they laid down the document in front of the French General, he read it thoroughly but before long had grown annoyed.

"I'm afraid you aren't in a position to negotiate the surrender of the entirety of Piedmonte, hence why I will not accept your terms. I cannot accept the term that ceases the French intervention in Piedmonte and Switzerland - you are handing over the control of this city, nothing more. Luckily we took the liberty of drafting our own terms of surrender if this was to occur."

Terms of Surrender

- The French Republic is to annex the following provinces from the provincial Piedmontese Government, noting the fact the monarchy has fled to Switzerland and does not have authority over the remaining Italian provinces.
- With support of the French, the 4th Piedmontese Army and Premier Garibaldi will set themselves in Genoa as the "Genoese Republic." It is to be a protectorate of the French Republic and follow her system of government.
- The French guarantee protection of the Genoese Republic from monarchist forces in Northern Italy.
- The Genoese Republic is to pay a small yearly tithe in the form of ammunition, rifle and cannon to France to allow her to continue her protection and in support of the war to liberate Italy.
- The 4th Piedmontese Army is to become a solely defensive force to operate to defend the newly formed Republic of Genoa.
- The war with the Monarchist forces of Piedmonte Suisse will remain at war with the French Republic, but the newly formed Genoese Republic will have a choice to join this or not.

Signed: 1st Consul Napoleon Bonaparte, General of the Armée d'Italie.

Paris, May 10th, 1796
"Jean, even the English are thinking they have a right to tell us what to do now." This was the opening sentence of Francois as he handed his "superior" the pile of new letters that had arrived, even one from the far East. Unfortunately for Francois the brunt of racial slurs and derogatory remarks, that soon followed their reading of the letters, fell onto him. As of late, the Second Consul, despite his adeptness at running the country with his Third Consul in tow, had begun becoming progressively more annoyed at everything in existence with each passing minute. This was most appropriately shown when the Third Consul had to dive out of the triumvirate's office - a chair, desk and several pieces of porcelain all scattering beside him. Had Francois learnt anything that day it was that Jean was incredibly strong for his own good.

The Second Consul narrowed his eyebrows and brought a cupped hand to his chin in thought, his other hand needlessly and idly toying with the buttons on his cuffs. He was a relatively organised worker; all his documents were staked, stamped and signed on the right of his desk, his drawers were the epitome of an OCD driven neat freak and the letters were even given special slots in a small multi-layered holder at the end of his desk. Inkpots were few and well isolated, pens and quills all stood proudly and even his beverages found a place; a holder attached to each leg of the desk allowing bottles of the vintage to fit snugly against the mahogany furniture.

"What do you suggest we do, Jean?" croaked the Third Consul, nervously wringing his hands together.

A short exasperated sigh escaped the chaffed lips of Jean, but a small smile creaked across his face and the Second Consul approached Francois. He put an arm around his neck, holding him by the shoulder and trailed his free hand from left to right at the air. "Why Charles, we do what we have always done. We do what the foundations of politics and political ideals are built on. We recreate the great scenes of promises and of captivating the masses. We lie. "

To William Pitt, the Younger, Prime Minister of England-Ireland

France has done no such thing, good sir. France was to march against the aggressive forces of the Austrians and Russians whom you have failed to note are present in the Northern Italian Provinces of Venice and now Milan. It is a definite right of a sovereign nation to defend ourselves. Having ourselves blockaded in as we were during our Revolutionary Period is not a thing that the Frenchman of the eastern and southern provinces of France wish to see again. It is therefore that France only mobilised to pre-emptively strike against those who would wrong us. Had the Piedmontese not attacked us first - we would have joyfully strolled across the southern portions of their land to reach the field of battle.

Yours, Second Consul Jean Jacques and Third Consul Charles-Francois, acting in the interests of the French Republic.

To Zi Lianhua, President of the Chinese Republic.

It is always a good event to see when the people of a nation rise up in arms against their oppressors. France will do her best in proclaiming our belief that the Republic of China is the only true sovereign representation of China and the Qing are a wrongful form of legislature. Unfortunately however, France finds herself surrounded by foes - any shipment of weaponry or staff would need to be done through our friends in the Batavian Republic. If they were to find it possible to do so, you shall receive what you wish for from us through them.

Yours, Second Consul Jean Jacques and Third Consul Charles-Francois, acting in the interests of the French Republic.

Munich, May 21st, 1796
With a column of revolutionary fervour in tow, General Bernadotte had marched across Southern Germany triumphantly. Seeing the city of Munich before him was a welcome site, especially after the relative emptiness and depopulated nature of the southern German provinces. The young Frenchman had taken a liking to the quiet however, or as quiet as one could get in a chanting military column, and now was quite taken back by the relative loudness of the hustling and bustling city of Munich. Even so, as the Armée du Rhin marched through the streets with soldiers and revolutionary conscripts waving and gesturing in some forms of pigeon German ot the civilians of Munich, Bernadotte couldn't be feel a sense of pride that these were to be the men to march against Austria on what many would consider her home turf. Not wanting to spare any time, he began to ride ahead of his column - to meet with King Maximilian and his Generals, to discuss their plans against the Austrians.

Pondicherry, May 22nd, 1796
French trading ships sat majestically in the port of Pondicherry. Crews carried goods on and off the wooden vessels, idle banter passing the time as tea, gems and other goods were brought onto the boats and wines, guns and other such commodities were unloaded. Pondicherry, the only bastion of French presence in India, was a rather busy place. Hindi speaking Indians, French speaking Frenchmen, the odd Dutchman and Spaniard also visiting the port and the ever watchful presence of Sepoys and the French East India Company's infantry made the port city a rather bustling and hustling place. Not many local vessels were present though, most being dwarfed in view next to the mighty merchantmen and frigates that hugged the dockyards. So when a Mughal vessel came into port, with a representative aboard, the Colonial Governor was quick to send down a symbolic guard to welcome into Pondicherry. The Mughals were known to do business for two accords; to trade, or to remove a problem. The Governor was happy to help on both accords.
Last edited by Liecthenbourg on Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:13 am, edited 6 times in total.
Impeach Ernest Jacquinot Legalise Shooting Communists The Gold Standard Needs To Be Abolished Duclerque 1919
Grand-Master of the Kyluminati

The Region of Kylaris
I'm just a simple Kylarite, trying to make my way on NS.

The Gaullican Republic,
I thank God for Three Things:
Kylaris, the death of Esquarium, and Prem <3

The Transtsabaran Federation and The Chistovodian Workers' State

To understand European history watch these: Cultural erosion, German and Italian history, a brief history of Germany.

Capsland
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Capsland » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:29 am

The United Kingdom of England-Ireland

17th April, 1796
London
It was near midnight. William Pitt had been debating in parliament all day. The latest debate featuring the fate of Irish rebels that had caused unrest in Dublin. Parliament decided to execute them for treason against the crown and show all of Ireland that England reigns supreme of the British Isles.

William was reading over multiple letters. Some from the East India Company, stating how well business was going and how the EIC neeed greater subsidies from the crown for expeditions in China. The usual drabble. Normally the governor-general, Warren Hastings, looking for more money to fill his pockets. Then William came across a letter from the Dutch. As he read through it, he filled with anger. His adviser sitting next to him asked him what was wrong.

"How dare they! The Dutch! Of all people, telling us... US! To cease our embargo..."

"Is it serious, sir? Maybe we can just ignore their request" The adviser said as he ate luxurious biscuits and drank tea from the finest chinaware.

"We can't. They are threatening to close the shipping routes around Africa to India. The East India Company would be unable to make a decent profit and our hold on India would be compromised."

"Well, surely if the French have the Dutch under their thumb, as it seems from here, war is inevitable with the Dutch. We're just delaying it."

"Hmm. What is the latest report from Walvis Bay?"

"Minimal pirate activity. There are two 80 gun ships of the line and ten 20 gun sloops stationed there. There are more ships at St. Helena."

"Okay. We will lift the embargo for now. Let's keep relations up. I want five extra 80 gun ship of the lines at Walvis Bay. I want to be prepared should the need arise."
William got up and walked to his bed chamber but before closing the door behind him, he looked back and shouted the adviser.
"Oh and make sure to reply to the Dutch... Try to make it... Nice."

"Will do sir"

To the Chairman of the National Assembly and Grand Pensionary of The Netherlands, Pieter Vreede & Jacobus Spoors
From the Prime Minister of The United Kingdom of England-Ireland, William Pitt the Younger,

We assessed your letter and have come to the conclusion that the government of England-Ireland acted too quickly to a misinformed situation. For that you have our sincerest apologies. We wish to preserve the English-Dutch relations, if this act would damage said relations then we will repeal it straight away. We hope that England-Ireland can find our friendship in the Dutch people. May our nations live on forever and stand the test of time.

11th May, 1796
London

To the First Consul, Second Consul and Third Consul of France, Napoleon Bonaparte, Jean-Jacques Charles-François Lebrun
From the Prime Minister of The United Kingdom of England-Ireland, William Pitt the Younger,

The United Kingdom of England-Ireland, after much debate, has chosen to lift any embargo on France. We do this not out of good will, we do this on the interests of our economical and financial gains. England-Ireland's stance on the war still remains. We will not support such a war in Italy and, should the need arise, we are obliged to help our allies. We further ask you to reconsider this war, for the benefit of Anglo-Franco relations and the stability of Europe.

Portsmouth
Five ships floated in the harbour. These ships of Spanish design were flying the pirate flag of skull and cross bones. The captain of this small fleet of ships was Captain Ferdinand Monroe. The government had signed a secret deal with this pirate captain. In return for a hefty sum, Captain Monroe would sail his fleet and attack the port of Le Havre on the French northern coast.

The government was trying a new tactic to fight French aggression, proxy wars and attacks. This way, they could combat the aggression without losing the favour of the allies of the French. Of course this tactic was costly and unsustainable in the long run, but it did a lot of damage all in one go.

A government official, whose job it was to overlook the treasury, walked down the dock; two guards protecting him. He got to the captain and started talking.
"I trust that everything is in order for the mission"

"Yes. We just need to wait for the set date set by your peers and we will set sail for Le Havre. Do you have my payment?" The captain asked as he sat on a box of crates.

"My government will pay you when the job has been completed. You're lucky you're even allowed on this dock."

"That's no way to treat a man that's willing to risk his life for some island" He replied, a smirk on his face.

"When we hear of a pirate attack on Le Havre, we will pay you. Until then, you are getting nothing. That is final." The government official said.

"Fine. We set sail for Le Havre on the nineteenth" The captain then walked away to his ship The Protector.

London, Parliament building.
William Pitt stood in the middle of the parliament building leaning against that desk. He was fighting for the embargo to be lifted. He had already promised the Dutch and French that the embargo would be lifted. Failure at this level would be catastrophic.

"The French are our biggest rivals! Surely an embargo goes without saying!" One MP shouted.

"Yes they are our rivals but we must be cautious. If we embargo them, then they have cause to be much more aggressive to us! We are not ready for war, yet. We must play up to the French for the time being." William responded. Many of the MPs on the benches all showing their agreement with a mumble of "Aye".

William then turned to the MPs.
"All in favour of lifting the embargo on the Republic of France."
Many of the MPs stood up. It was clear that the embargo would be lifted.

19th May, 1796
Le Havre
-The attack on Le Havre.
-Reply to the Kingdom of Sukhothai.
Last edited by Capsland on Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:17 am, edited 8 times in total.
Don't take anything I say seriously... Seriously.
Currently sleeping in the region of Sunalaya

"I drink to forget but I always remember" - Helen the hall monitor

#SingleStateSolution4Ventismar

Aden Protectorate
Senator

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aden Protectorate » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:40 pm

Lisbao, Império do Portugal

Chapter One: And the Portuguese Will Travel Across Europe

14 de abril, No Ano de Nosso Senhor 1796

"Your Most Faithful Majesties we cannot show our fear! France will not touch us! We have given them our guarantee of neutrality and they have responded with a resounding respect for our wishes! Wouldn't constructing what you have proposed show them that we do not trust them? Show them that we do not believe them?"

The imperious monarchs Maria I and Henry II sat on their throne in the Tower of Belem where they held secret court with the Governor of Brazil who they had called back to Lisbao for this very meeting. His name was de Silva, he was a stubborn and capricious man yet a good administrator - someone who the Empire trusted to run Brazil while they were across the Atlantic in Lisbao. He was however not bending to Imperial will - which slightly angered the Empress.

"Governor de Silva I will not have you sit in my Tower and defy my will - you will organize the construction of a Palace in Rio de Jainero, so that God forbid we may take refuge there if Portugal is to fall to France -"

The governor attempted to speak up, but Henry just glanced his way, silencing him. Henry though quiet was very domineering and could command respect and authority when needed. Maria nodded and continued.

"We live in trying times, the old order is about to be shaken and I do not know how long our neutrality guarantee can hold out against Napoleon's armies - Brasil is the largest, most powerful, and most loyal of our colonies. It only makes sense that if we were to fall that we should flee there."

She slammed her fist on the arms of the throne.

"And by God I will never accept the unstable and destructive ways of the republics that Napoleon espouses - the old order has provided for us and we will not turn our back on it! I do not care if Bonaparte marches on Lisbao - I simply do not care! He can never reach Brasil, and we will continue the fight from there! SO IN THE NAME OF CHRIST THE ALMIGHTY I ORDER YOU TO BEGIN CONSTRUCTION OF A PALACE IN RIO!"

The Empress was sometimes prone to such bursts of rage when under stress, and when her authority was challenged. The Governor bowed and retreated, not wishing to tempt the beast with another round. As he left the tower a servant placed plans in his hand, they detailed the construction of a luxurious palace in Rio. The Governor envied the royals for truly it was grand. As he looked over the maps he found a clause written on the left side of the paper. Chambers for the Government of the Brasil would be provided for, and the Governor would have his own rooms.

Within two days he had departed with a hefty sum of money to build the Palace - and he began to organize construction by the end of the day when he returned.

-TBE-
Last edited by Aden Protectorate on Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Caltarania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Caltarania » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:43 am

Zhōnghuá Mínguó
Chinese Republic
中華民國

Chapter 3 - A Field of Fire

Theme: "TBF"

South of Peking, China
17th Day of the Fifth Month, Year of the Fire Dragon (TBF)
(18th of May 1796 in the Gregorian Calendar)

-Battle between a small Qing force and the Republican army
-Fate of Peking decided

Sino-Mongolian Border
26th Day of the Fifth Month, Year of the Fire Dragon (TBF)
(21st of May 1796 in the Gregorian Calendar)

-Khanate stuff
-DEAAAAAAAATH

Lhasa, Tibet
29th Day of the Fifth Month, Year of the Fire Dragon (TBF)
(23rd of May 1796 in the Gregorian Calendar)

-Tibetan stuff
-Dalai Lama does stuff

Peking, China
4th Day of the Sixth Month, Year of the Fire Dragon (TBF)
(30th of May 1796 in the Gregorian Calendar)

-Battle of Peking
-End of the first phase of the civil war
-Letters
I'M FROM KYLARIS, AND I'M HERE TO HELP!

The Kingdom of Glitter
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Kingdom of Glitter » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:53 pm

The Kingdom of Scotland

The Scottish Foreign Office

April-May 1796
Edinburgh, Scotland
Scottish Foreign Building

Addressed to King Oscar of the Dual Kingdom,

The Scottish government will back Sweden-Norway against any form of Danish aggression to ensure the Danes are unable to retake the Faroes and potentially attempt to reclaim the Shetlands.

Should war break out, we will harass Danish shipping in the North Sea along with invading and capturing Iceland and Greenland. After this is successful, we will ferry troops to Norway in order to bolster your own armies. Any troops active within Scandinavia will be placed under your high command for the sake of better cooperation on the field of battle.

Scotland is very concerned about the budding relationship between Denmark and France, and we intend on breaking the renewed alliance between Scotland and those in Paris.

Written on Behalf of Her Grace Queen Charlotte, Queen of Scots.

Sincerely,
Sir John Gladstone
Foreign Minister of Scotland

Addressed to the Consuls of France,

Sirs,

The Scottish government is concerned that French aggression on the Continent, combined with growing French ties to Copenhagen , will prevent our nation from further cooperating with the Consular Republic of France. I write to you to inform you that the attempt to renew the 'Auld Alliance' has failed to pass our Parliament and therefore has not been ratified.

The Scottish government has no intentions to attempt to ratify this treaty between us. We cannot align ourselves with an expansionist power who is firmly under the influence of our historic rival, Denmark.

Edinburgh will be keeping a watchful eye on French expansion on the Continent. Scotland has now allied with those in Stockholm once more. Should Denmark, whether she be backed by France or not, attack our allies, Scotland will be forced to act.

Sincerely,
Sir John Gladstone

Addressed to Prime Minister William Pitt the Younger,

I write to you in order to inform you the attempt to renew the 'Auld Alliance' between France and Scotland has failed to pass our Parliament.

French aggression on the Continent combined with their recent budding relationship with our foes in Copenhagen have prevented us from allying ourselves with the French.

Once more I ask that you consider a treaty non-aggression between our nations, combined with a secret defensive alliance against France, and in turn Denmark. I will happily dispatch an envoy to London in order to discuss the terms of either both the treaty and the alliance, or if you would prefer I could make the trip myself.

Sincerely,
Sir John Gladstone
Last edited by The Kingdom of Glitter on Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:33 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Kahlenberg
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Kahlenberg » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:25 am

The Mughal Empire
گورکانیان
مغلیہ سلطنت

बूँद-बूँद से घड़ा भरता है [Drop by drop one fills a jar] - Indian proverb

14 Dhu'l-Qa'dah 1210 A.H.| May 21st, 1796

French Pondicherri - Indian Peninsula - France

Asura Sampath was wearing a richly embroidered chogha and a turban, showing his high position at the Mughal court. A son of the King of Mysore, Asura had been accepted as a Dewan by the Mughal Emperor to strengthen the ties between the fierce southern Hindu kingdom and their Muslim overlords. Many wars had been fought between Mysore and the Mughals, and the Mysore were never beaten into submission. Sampaths grandfather had been convinced that joining the Mughals was the smartest move, since fighting them had proved to be devastating for the economy of his small Kingdom. Therefore, he had taken the oath of loyalty. It wasn't until very recently - and with Asura's accession into the Mughal court - that Mysore-Mughal relations actually became something that could be described as friendly. The task Sampath had received was a symbol of this young and fragile friendship between the Mysores and their overlords: he had been entrusted with the task to convince the French to enter into a durable relation with the Mughals.

The ship in which his delegation had arrived had docked. The size of the French indiamen had left Asura in awe, but he soon regained his composure. He did not want to appear overwhelmed by the French might; no, he wanted to appear firm, he wanted to come across as someone you would rather have as an ally then as a foe.

The honorary guard the French had mustered, brought a smile on Asura's face. He loved the grandeur of being an official representative of the Emperor and the air of power it bestowed on him. He and his following made their way towards the Governor of French Pondicherri. Asura Sampath did his best to look as gracious and firm as possible. He stopped before the governor, and waited for the man to bow. The Frenchmen did so, were it reluctantly and not as deep as Sampath was used to. Asura Sampath had been warned that the French minds had been infected with something they called "equality"; the unholy notion that all men were equal.

'Dear friend of the Emperor, there is no need for you to bow before me,' Asura said. He had to put his pride aside to make this mission a success - and that was exactly what he wanted the most.

The Frenchman smiled when the translator had did his work. He said something in a language Asura could not comprehend. His translator told him the Governor was honored to be able to receive him. Asura bowed his head slightly in gratitude. The Governor now gestured the Mughal delegation to come further, and so they did.

Not much later, they were seated at a table in the city hall of Pondicherry - a fair, but not extremely impressive building. Asura's translator had let him know that the French Governor was curious why the Mughal Emperor was paying them the respect of such a hefty delegation. Asura, having learned the message he needed to deliver by heart, started talking.

'Our Emperor is worried. Worried about the fact he has lost the Bengal area. Worried about the fact that the English are continuing expanding their Empire into territories that are not theirs to claim; territories that belong to the Mughal. Therefore, our Emperor, the Shah, King of Kings, proposes an agreement between our two peoples.'

Asura took a few seconds to order his thoughts, then continued.

'If we are correct, your nation is no friend of the English. According to some of our European sources, war between your two nations will inevitably break out soon. This will put French Pondicherry in great peril, oh Governor.'

Asura paused, to give the translator an opportunity to start his work. The man did so, and the Governor seemed interested.

'We would be more than willing to aid you, Governor. If war with the English would break out in Europe, our Emperor wants to fight side by side with you on the Indian peninsula. He would be honored if your troops, backed by the troops of the Kingdom of Mysore, a vassal of the Shah, would march against Madurai. Our sources estimate that only 10,000 English soldier hold quarter there. While we together annihilate their army in Madurai, the main forces of the Mughal Emperor will prevent reinforcements from Benghal to arrive, holding them off by harassing supply lines. Once Madurai is out of the English grasp for good, our Emperor wants to share it with your nation. Details can be discussed. Afterwards, our troops can jointly move towards Bengal to remove English presence from the Indian peninsula once and far all. We would request you to coordinate your actions with your friends, the Dutch. By removing the English from India, you would prevent them from becoming a regional hegemon in Asia. And to thank you, the Emperor would be glad to open all his harbors to your nations merchants and vessels.'

The Hindu prince took a sip from his drink, pausing for a moment.

'Of course, this will all be in due time. For now, we ask your help. We need instructors to train our infantrists. Without help, they stand no chance against the English, if war would emerge..'

Bewildered, the Prince looked at the Governor. He wasn't sure whether his proposition had been coherent - especially after being translated. The Prince did not want to display signs he was nervous, but he could not help starting to sweat a bit, as his translator did his work.

15 Dhu'l-Qa'dah 1210 A.H.| May 22st, 1796

The Free City of Karachi - Dutch India - The Batavian Republic

- Presentation of Mughal position to the Dutch governor

27 Dhu'l-Qa'dah 1210 A.H.| June 3rd, 1796

Mehrangarh Fort - Jodhpur, Rajasthan - The Mughal Empire

- Continuation of the Annual Imperial Tour; wedding ceremony in Jodhpur.

- Response to Persian-Mamlukian border conflict

- Sending away of Prince Akbar to Mysore
Last edited by Kahlenberg on Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Liecthenbourg
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Liecthenbourg » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:11 pm

The French Consulate Republic

Chapter 3: The First to Fall
Turin, June 2nd, 1796

Turin had fallen into Bonaparte's extending clutches. The French General had quickly forced his way through a temporary peace, and gained what he wished in his terms of the peace. Turin had become his centre of operations for the campaign. Now however, the First Consul saw it as time to act. He had organised his force into three separate forces (Details to be coming soon) and each one was to be the strike of a hammer against each member of the opposition he faced. The force he personally commanded would smash the coalition forces at Milan, the army under General Massena would march into Switzerland to liberate at it; a goal Napoleon had set high importance for after he had given his "Free Swiss" speech upon the march into Turin, even ripping apart the treatise that bound both aspects of the Piedmontese together. His third force was to march to Florence, to begin the capitulation of the rest of the Italian peninsula. And there, upon the crisp and warm air of the Second of June, the French armies began their march.

Pondicherry, May 22nd, 1796
Governor Mathieu had been listening attentively to the words of the Mughal emissary for quite some time, conversing with his own advisers in the periods of silence between the translations. It was quite an interesting proposition, the one that these Mughals offered. The English were to be a great threat in India if their power was allowed to continue, especially since the French influence in the area had been effectively lost long ago.

"I'm afraid we don't have any outstanding forces in Pondicherry", Mathieu told to the translator. "I also do not believe we will be receiving many either, especially if war is to come to Europe. However, I do believe we can still assist you. We have a good amount of experienced officers leading Company soldiers here in Pondicherry - we could drill your own soldiers to a European quality, it will go quite far to catapult you to a position of military might closer to the English."

Munich, June 10th, 1796
General Bernadotte had long spoken and planned with Bavarian Generals and strategists. His force had been encamped in the city of Munich for quite some time now, but with news from Turin reaching their ears the forces of Republicanism soon thought it was time to act. Quickly, the French forces had been mobilised. A cacophony of boots, hooves and wheels trailed across the roads of the Southern German Union. Their guns to their chests, their spirits held high and the ever present glare of the sun shining intensely onto their bayonets. Horses neighed, wheels creaked and people chanted. The army of the Republic was moving, to strike at the Austrian held lands of Tyrol to add another front for their foe to face.

Milan, June 23rd, 1796
- Napoleon arrives in Milan
Last edited by Liecthenbourg on Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Impeach Ernest Jacquinot Legalise Shooting Communists The Gold Standard Needs To Be Abolished Duclerque 1919
Grand-Master of the Kyluminati

The Region of Kylaris
I'm just a simple Kylarite, trying to make my way on NS.

The Gaullican Republic,
I thank God for Three Things:
Kylaris, the death of Esquarium, and Prem <3

The Transtsabaran Federation and The Chistovodian Workers' State

To understand European history watch these: Cultural erosion, German and Italian history, a brief history of Germany.

The Kingdom of Glitter
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Kingdom of Glitter » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:43 pm

9 June 1796
Westen Punt, Nieuw Holland
United Provinces Military Academy

*opening of the United Provinces Military Academy

12 June 1796
Lochem, Sylvania
The Yellow Lion Inn

*Jan Fries meets with local farmers and business owners to discuss a solution to the increasing tax burden placed upon them by the Adams Administration.

16 June 1796
The White House

*Adams yells at cabinet members - Secretary of War resigns.

17 June 1796
Office of the State Department

Letter for Portugal

Jaslandia
Minister

Founded: Aug 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jaslandia » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:49 pm

Frederiksberg Palace, Copenhagen, Kingdom of Denmark
June 5, 1796

- Letter to Columbia
- Frederick authorizes naval drills in the Baltic Sea
- King Christian has another 'incident'

Christiansborg Palace, Copenhagen, Denmark
June 7, 1796

- MPs discuss foreign affairs
- MPs discuss trade relations
- Parliament recommends building new ships to Frederick

Fort Dansborg, Trankebar, Danish India
June 12, 1796

Governor Peter Anker of Danish India walked into his office in the early afternoon, having just toured a nearby Indian Christian village and giving a speech to the inhabitants. Now Anker was returning to the Governor’s Residence on the second floor of Fort Dansborg, with local priest and interpreter Mathias Johansen. “Glad that’s over with,” Anker commented to Johansen. “That was exhausting.” Anker turned to his secretary. “Anything I missed while I was gone?”

“Yes, sir,” the secretary replied. “News from China. Apparently the Qing dynasty has been overthrown and a civil war has started. At this point, the forces of a certain Chinese Republic seem to have the upper hand, but there are still loyalists who wish to maintain the principles of the Qing absolute monarchy.”

“Interesting,” Anker replied. “To be honest, I didn’t expect China to fall so soon. They seemed to be doing well.”

“I suppose Western ideas like democracy spread to China,” Father Johansen hypothesized, “and once that happened, rebel groups sprung up clamoring for a more representative government.”

“Probably. Well, I suppose we best send a message to the Chinese Republic.”

“Why so? The Republicans are radicals. The Chinese people might be more willing to support a new dynasty rather a bunch of radicals. The Chinese have had a monarchy for centuries, you know?”

“So has France, but look where they are now.”

“The Chinese monarchy is much older than France. Even older than Greece and Rome. The Chinese monarchy is as old as the ancient Egyptian civilization. It will take much upheaval for a republic to be accepted in China.”

“I’m sure you’re right, but the Republicans seem to be doing pretty well so far. Besides, if they support republicanism, chances are these ‘radicals’ as you call them also support other liberal ideas. Denmark simply has more in common with the Republicans than the monarchists. I shall write to the Chinese Republic immediately.”

To: Zi Lianhua, President of China

Hail to you, majestic leader of China!

I have heard of the fall of the Qing dynasty and your faction’s rise to power. On behalf of the Kingdom of Denmark and her ruler Crown Prince Regent Frederick, I would like to congratulate you and your forces for the Chinese Republic’s recent successes. The Chinese Republic has Denmark’s full support.

If it pleases you, I would like to conclude a treaty with your nation. I would like for Denmark to be granted the right to trade in Chinese ports, although I shall accept some restrictions if you think they are appropriate. In exchange, Denmark will officially recognize you as the sole legitimate ruler of China, and I will be able to arrange for the sending of military advisers to China to assist your army in training, strategy, and logistics.

I hope you consider my offer, and may fortune forever favor the Chinese Republic!

Signed, Peter Anker
Last edited by Jaslandia on Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Jaslandia or Jas, either one works
This nation (mostly) represents my political views.
Factbook
Puppets: Partrica, New Jaslandia, Kasbahan
Pro: Regulated Capitalism, Two-state solution, nice people, Nerdfighteria, democracy, science, public education, rationalism, reason, logic, politeness, LGBT rights, feminism, UN, Democratic Party

Anti: Religious extremism/fundamentalism, terrorism, dictatorship, oppression, hatred, bigotry, racism, homophobia, anti-Semitism, conspiracy theories, Stalinism, theocracy, social conservatism, corruption, Nazism, Vladimir Putin, Republican Party

In-between: Religion, socialism, Barack Obama

RP Population: 675,000,000

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse