NATION

PASSWORD

Out box for Telegrams

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Avalaun (Ancient)
Attaché

Founded: Apr 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Out box for Telegrams

Postby Avalaun (Ancient) » Thu May 28, 2009 12:45 am

I have yet another (Oh no! He's at it again, isn’t he) suggestion about improving the game (ARGH! Yes he is!). This time I was thinking, it would be helpful in maintaining the continuity of communications if we:
  1. Could keep copies of sent telegrams in some kind of “outbox” so that when a correspondent returned our messages, we could reference what we had written to keep track of the thread of conversation. (I’m sure I saw an outbox type function on some phpbb based site somewhere, but I can’t recall where.)
  2. Had some way of auto-quoting previous messages sent to us, the same way the {quote} button/function works on the forums. I see that recently some phpbb stuff was enabled for telegrams and CHQ posts, so this shouldn't be that hard to do.

It would make holding a conversation via telegram much easier, especially since we have no private message function on the forums themselves. What do you all think? Technical people is this possible? Would it be very difficult to implement here? (NO! not three questions. arrgh!)
Avalaun is a country in NationStates imagined as set in the present or very near future in an alternate version of the real world™­. Avalaun is located on the western coast of North America.

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Re: Out box for Telegrams

Postby [violet] » Thu May 28, 2009 4:56 am

Avalaun wrote:Would it be very difficult to implement here?

It shouldn't be, but it is, due to the original game design. The main issue is it's impossible for the game to load part of a nation: it loads all of it or nothing. TGs often constitute 50-80% of a nation's total data, so something simple like adding Sent Items means doubling server load in a very high use area.

Still, it's something that would clearly be very useful, so I won't rule it out.

Avalaun (Ancient)
Attaché

Founded: Apr 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avalaun (Ancient) » Fri May 29, 2009 2:29 am

[violet] wrote:
Avalaun wrote:Would it be very difficult to implement here?

It shouldn't be, but it is, due to the original game design. The main issue is it's impossible for the game to load part of a nation: it loads all of it or nothing. TGs often constitute 50-80% of a nation's total data, so something simple like adding Sent Items means doubling server load in a very high use area.

Still, it's something that would clearly be very useful, so I won't rule it out.

Thanks [violet], both for the information and the quick response. I understand if it would be unworkable, then it can't be done. Doubling the server load would be totally unreasonable. May I ask, what in the game makes it impossible for the computer to load pages as requested, rather than the entire nation file? Thanks for keeping the idea in mind, I hope a reasonable solution suggests itself to you and your technical team. :D

P.S. What happened to the “big smile” emoticon? It disappeared when the new ones showed up. :?:
Avalaun is a country in NationStates imagined as set in the present or very near future in an alternate version of the real world™­. Avalaun is located on the western coast of North America.

Naivetry
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 02, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Naivetry » Fri May 29, 2009 11:24 am

From a very short-sighted viewpoint, because I would looove to have this feature... even if the server load doubles, we have less than half as many nations actively using the game as we used to. Maybe it would still be okay?

West-Flanders
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby West-Flanders » Fri May 29, 2009 11:32 am

Could be handy for some, but it doesn't matter much to me. In case I want so save an important TM or regional message board conversation, there's always notebook (or wordpad, whatever).
Last edited by West-Flanders on Fri May 29, 2009 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by West-Flanders on Sun Dec 31, 9999 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Fri May 29, 2009 4:21 pm

Avalaun wrote:May I ask, what in the game makes it impossible for the computer to load pages as requested, rather than the entire nation file?

The game doesn't use a database. Each nation is a flat file, which means we need to read the whole thing to find the data we want, and (more pertinently) we need to write out the whole thing when we change any part of it.

Central World Alliance
Spokesperson

Founded: May 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Central World Alliance » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:39 am

[violet] wrote:
Avalaun wrote:May I ask, what in the game makes it impossible for the computer to load pages as requested, rather than the entire nation file?

The game doesn't use a database. Each nation is a flat file, which means we need to read the whole thing to find the data we want, and (more pertinently) we need to write out the whole thing when we change any part of it.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh... i see now... mot really :lol: I'm sitting at home like this :blink: but I believe you on it
It's not illegal it's only frowned upon by most countries.
AWESOME!
I Came to Play
Immune to Fear
My Map http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn20 ... dAllia.png

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical