NATION

PASSWORD

[report] Questionable flag

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

[report] Questionable flag

Postby Dakini » Fri May 29, 2015 9:35 pm

This user has a flag that reads "Free Breivik". Since this guy sort of advocated some extreme racism and sexism and also, you know, murdered a lot of teenagers for being liberal, I suspect the user is aiming to offend with this flag. It is also my understanding that flags are much more strictly regulated than posts since one cannot argue with a flag...

(Also, sorry if this is supposed to be done via GHR or something, I don't usually see super questionable flags.)

McFjord
Secretary

Founded: May 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby McFjord » Fri May 29, 2015 9:39 pm

Dakini wrote:This user has a flag that reads "Free Breivik". Since this guy sort of advocated some extreme racism and sexism and also, you know, murdered a lot of teenagers for being liberal, I suspect the user is aiming to offend with this flag. It is also my understanding that flags are much more strictly regulated than posts since one cannot argue with a flag...

(Also, sorry if this is supposed to be done via GHR or something, I don't usually see super questionable flags.)

Not flaming because I am not seeking to offend, but rather express my support for the political beliefs held by Breivik.

Furthermore, I believe the evidence suggests that Breivik did not in fact kill anybody, but that rather, it was agent provacateurs, as Breivik would have been too poor to amass such an arsenal required for bombing a building and then shooting up a camp.

Furthermore, people have had flags with Stalin and Mao on them before.

I understand that Breivik is a controversial figure, but if anyone should raise an objection to this, then I will legitimately debate them on it.
Last edited by McFjord on Fri May 29, 2015 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I support martyrdom. Do you?

Transnapastain
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Transnapastain » Fri May 29, 2015 10:18 pm

The flag will be removed.

McFjord wrote:
Not flaming because I am not seeking to offend, but rather express my support for the political beliefs held by Breivik.

Wouldn't be flaming anyways, it'd be trolling. Intent is nice and all, but intent can't e expressed in a flag like it can in a post. Furthermore, the gauge used in cases is what an average viewer/user would think when seeing the reported material. Thats the yardstick we have to measure by. Breivik is known for the actions attributed to him far more than the writings he published, and thats what people are going to see.

When you view it as an average user, you're flag says "I think Breivik was right, I support him". In this case, thats tantamount to "I support mass murder and terrorism."

Furthermore, I believe the evidence suggests that Breivik did not in fact kill anybody, but that rather, it was agent provacateurs, as Breivik would have been too poor to amass such an arsenal required for bombing a building and then shooting up a camp.

Unfortunately irrelevant to this case, as that argment is not, and can not, be phrased by that sole static image. Perhaps you could start a thread?

And Hitler too. A static image of a person, with no context, is not the same thing. A flag of Stalin saying "The Famine was Great" would be trolling, a flag of Mao supporting the Cultural Revolution would be likewise off limits. An ISIS flag on its own would be fine, an ISIS flag declaring "Kill all the Infields", no.

Context is key.

understand that Breivik is a controversial figure, but if anyone should raise an objection to this, then I will legitimately debate them on it.

You can't debate with your flag, thats the whole point of the rule, but you can debate in a proper thread, which you can also create.

Lastly, if you were so confident that this flag would ruffle no feathers and was well within the rules, why is it on a puppet?
Last edited by Transnapastain on Fri May 29, 2015 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

McFjord
Secretary

Founded: May 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby McFjord » Fri May 29, 2015 10:22 pm

Transnapastain wrote:The flag will be removed.

McFjord wrote:

Wouldn't be flaming anyways, it'd be trolling. Intent is nice and all, but intent can't e expressed in a flag like it can in a post. Furthermore, the gauge used in cases is what an average viewer/user would think when seeing the reported material. Thats the yardstick we have to measure by. Breivik is known for the actions attributed to him far more than the writings he published, and thats what people are going to see.

When you view it as an average user, you're flag says "I think Breivik was right, I support him". In this case, thats tantamount to "I support mass murder and terrorism."

Unfortunately irrelevant to this case, as that argment is not, and can not, be phrased by that sole static image. Perhaps you could start a thread?

And Hitler too. A static image of a person, with no context, is not the same thing. A flag of Stalin saying "The Famine was Great" would be trolling, a flag of Mao supporting the Cultural Revolution would be likewise off limits. An ISIS flag on its own would be fine, an ISIS flag declaring "Kill all the Infields", no.

Context is key.

understand that Breivik is a controversial figure, but if anyone should raise an objection to this, then I will legitimately debate them on it.

You can't debate with your flag, thats the whole point of the rule, but you can debate in a proper thread, which you can also create.

Lastly, if you were so confident that this flag would ruffle no feathers and was well within the rules, why is it on a puppet?

So if I remove the text, it's okay?
I support martyrdom. Do you?

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Fri May 29, 2015 10:25 pm

McFjord wrote:So if I remove the text, it's okay?

I'm gonna say "no". Now that your intent to troll with the flag is clear, minor changes won't get you off the hook.

Return to Moderation