NATION

PASSWORD

Custom National Map

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Creatle
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Custom National Map

Postby Creatle » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:33 pm

This would be a cool addition to NS, what if you could add in a National Map, for your nation, It would help with roleplaying on forums, as I don't know how to upload a map, I've seen other people do it, so I thought it would be cool to add a customizable custom map into the settings. It would make it easier to create one and view it, tell me what you think?
Research Officer of the NCSA, I make polls, you will respect my authority!

I am a line-art designer who specializes in MS Paint with pixel art for Military ground and naval designs. If you would like me to help you with line-art design please TG me!

Nephmir
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nephmir » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:13 pm

You can use your factbook for this. Make the map and then upload it to imgur or photobucket, copy the direct link and use this code:

Code: Select all
[align=center][img]Insert_direct_link_here[/img][/align]

Alignment can be changed as pleased of course.
SC Resolutions
SC#165 | SC#173
_
_
The 300 Endorsements of Nephmir
"100 by land, 100 by air, 100 by sea."
Mercenary of The Sable Order
Commander in Project Soul

Enfaru
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Enfaru » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:58 pm

That said...it might be nice for Nationstates to absorb the NS++ feature of allowing regions to highlight their regional map via a link... it would decrease clutter.
Sovereign Charter Quick Links
Factbook · Role-plays · RMB · Map (Origin | Quantum) · Chat · Members: 73
Myraxia: One does not learn to GM; One throws oneself in and prays they don't fuck up too badly.
Game Master
Founder of the Sovereign Charter,
4th President and,
Tutor of the College of Theatrics

Creatle
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Creatle » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:31 pm

Thankyou for the Code, I will use it, but I think it would be easier and cleaner for NS add it, it would help so much

I am a line-art designer who specializes in MS Paint with pixel art for Military ground and naval designs. If you would like me to help you with line-art design please TG me!

Creatle
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Creatle » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:48 pm

But can I upload my map from my computer, this is what NationStates should had, you know how you can create a custom banner? well you should be able to do the same thing with your map, be able to upload it from your computer because I've edited mine in paint and I don't know how to add it in now? if there is a solution please explain

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:28 pm

Creatle wrote:But can I upload my map from my computer, this is what NationStates should had, you know how you can create a custom banner? well you should be able to do the same thing with your map, be able to upload it from your computer because I've edited mine in paint and I don't know how to add it in now? if there is a solution please explain

Upload it to an image hosting site like imgur first, then link from there using the code Neph posted.

Creatle
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Creatle » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:14 pm

Thanks a lot, still again though, I want to try to help the whole NS community, does anyone understand what I mean, because that means im actually making sense?

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:45 pm

Creatle wrote:does anyone understand what I mean

We understand. We just don't agree. We don't want to turn the game into a picture hosting site. The current system works just fine.

Enfaru
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Enfaru » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:34 am

Creatle wrote:But can I upload my map from my computer, this is what NationStates should had, you know how you can create a custom banner? well you should be able to do the same thing with your map, be able to upload it from your computer because I've edited mine in paint and I don't know how to add it in now? if there is a solution please explain

O.o Nationstates would not and could not do this. The size of the Sovereign Charter's raw regional map is something akin to 32,000 x 16,000 pixels and weighs in at a fair few MB (around 300 or so I think). There are over 10,000 regions >.>;

I mean if you wanted to pay NS... to do that I'm not sure how violet would feel about that but considering there are free image hosting sites you would be wasting your money.
Sovereign Charter Quick Links
Factbook · Role-plays · RMB · Map (Origin | Quantum) · Chat · Members: 73
Myraxia: One does not learn to GM; One throws oneself in and prays they don't fuck up too badly.
Game Master
Founder of the Sovereign Charter,
4th President and,
Tutor of the College of Theatrics

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:32 am

Enfaru wrote:

O.o Nationstates would not and could not do this. The size of the Sovereign Charter's raw regional map is something akin to 32,000 x 16,000 pixels and weighs in at a fair few MB (around 300 or so I think). There are over 10,000 regions >.>;

And my nation alone already has more than 70 maps...
Last edited by Bears Armed on Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Creatle
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Creatle » Sun May 10, 2015 7:36 pm

are there any other image uploading sites? I would like to know some of them

Pensyltucky Island
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Pensyltucky Island » Sun May 10, 2015 7:38 pm

Creatle wrote:are there any other image uploading sites? I would like to know some of them

Uh.... well, there's Imgur, Photobucket, Tinypic.... those are 3 off the top of my head. I know for sure that there's more out there.

Christian Constantinople
Envoy

Founded: Jun 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Constantinople » Sun May 10, 2015 7:39 pm

Creatle wrote:are there any other image uploading sites? I would like to know some of them

Tinypic, or Photobucket.
Last edited by Christian Constantinople on Sun May 10, 2015 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Creatle
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Creatle » Sun May 10, 2015 7:44 pm

OK so ive done a bunch of photos in photoshop, anyone know how to turn it into something that uploads?

Creatle
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Creatle » Sun May 10, 2015 7:46 pm

ive tried to change how the file saves, but they all are relatives to photoshop, not sure if any of them work, could use help for nyone who has used photoshop before

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical