NATION

PASSWORD

Space Elevators and the Future

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Altergo
Diplomat

Founded: May 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Space Elevators and the Future

Postby Altergo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:06 pm

So in one of those random debates that I'm sure happens to everyone, a group of my friends got a little heated into the concept of space elevators, and more importantly the implications the construction and utilization of a space elevator would have on the world. Assuming that carbon nanotube technology allows us to build a space elevator in the next 30-50 years, would we? Would this open up space for the entire world, or provide a monopoly to a private corporation or nation? Being as they are much easier to create on the equator than anywhere else, would nations such as the Congo, Uganda, Ecuador and Malaysia receive alot of attention and even grow economically if resources such as rare minerals from asteroids and helium-3 or other energy resources are brought down from the elevator?

These were the kinds of questions that were asked and I'm very curious as to what NS forum users have in forms of answers to these questions.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:17 pm

I don't quite understand the physics behind them, but from what I've read it looks like launch loops would be better.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:32 pm

I've speculated on this stuff m'self... which is really the best we can do.

One thing that would be important to remember is that even though carbon nanofibers are immensely strong, the proposition of a space elevator would still entail tension forces of unfathomable magnitude. Striking a balance between lightweight, immense tensile strength, and a degree of redundancy and mutual support that would prevent a snapped cable from essentially laying waste to the equator several times over would be... a difficult proposition at best. I'd figure it would likely require carbon nanotubes woven together like wool into a string, probably several of them with smaller bracing cables between them in order to divide the strain and prevent catastrophic failure.

It isn't specifically easier to build a space elevator on the equator. Its imperative to build a space elevator on the equator, as there would need to be a counterweight station in orbit (to prevent packages going up from pulling the elevator down, and giving a launch point). At the same time, it is important to note that the continents themselves move, and even a small difference could destabilize an already fragile system to the point of breakage, therefore, a landbased... base... would be a bit out of the question. So I'd be figuring that the best idea would be to have the base mounted on a floating platform on the ocean. This would also help avoid any trade issues that might arise, as the anchor platform might even be located in international waters.

For the construction itself, the sheer amount of carbon and specialized engineering required would likely involve a multinational effort of unprecedented scale, since you're essentially making an extremely strong series of cables around 35,800 kilometers in length. It would likely cost less to cover the entire US in solar panels.

That being said, the elevator would mostly be used for sending stuff up, as it'd be easy as heck to send stuff back down. A canister with a parachute. Wee.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:33 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:I don't quite understand the physics behind them, but from what I've read it looks like launch loops would be better.

More feasible, aye.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Altergo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altergo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:46 pm

Godular wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:I don't quite understand the physics behind them, but from what I've read it looks like launch loops would be better.

More feasible, aye.

What would be the implications of massive, global array of launch loops if they are a better alternative? And wouldn't space elevators still be more efficient in bringing heavy cargo up and down from space in short spans of time, rather than flying them up and using large amounts of fuel and flying them down while risking contamination or burnage from coming down from LEO?

Edgy Opinions
Senator

Founded: Dec 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Edgy Opinions » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:56 pm

Altergo wrote:Being as they are much easier to create on the equator than anywhere else, would nations such as the Congo, Uganda, Ecuador and Malaysia receive alot of attention and even grow economically if resources such as rare minerals from asteroids and helium-3 or other energy resources are brought down from the elevator?

Save for an alpacalypse, we'll be there before them... Most of our space research is centered on our north-facing coast.
Kotturheim's contagious despair.
100% self-impressed 20-year-old cadoneutrois-pangender imprigender genderblur fluidflux bi-pan/gray-ace/gray-aro Brazilian.
Into: your gender, anarchism/communism, obliteration of kyriarchy, environment, other obvious '-10.00, -9.13 in political compass' stuff
Anti: your gender (undo it interacting with me), Born This Way (also medicalism/pathologization/eugenics), outer space, abuse/predation, owners, power, hierarchy, internalization/privilege goggles (essential to the continuity of identity with power/hierarchy systems), essentialism/determinism, nihilism/defeatism

Jerkmany
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Jerkmany » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:08 pm

In terms of the Political implications, some huge corporations such as Google have already talked about a space elevator. Google's research department, "Google[x]", actually attempted to plan one out, I believe they eventually dropped the project but the fact that a corporation was willing to even think of this is worth thinking about.
Isolation is the oxygen mask you make you make your children breathe in to survive
-Marilyn Manson
Economic Left/Right: -5.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.44

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:08 pm

You do realize a lever arm that long would create...issues, right?
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Altergo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altergo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:19 pm

Edgy Opinions wrote:
Altergo wrote:Being as they are much easier to create on the equator than anywhere else, would nations such as the Congo, Uganda, Ecuador and Malaysia receive alot of attention and even grow economically if resources such as rare minerals from asteroids and helium-3 or other energy resources are brought down from the elevator?

Save for an alpacalypse, we'll be there before them... Most of our space research is centered on our north-facing coast.

I was just quoting those nations for the fact that they lie on the equator and therefore provide essential real estate for creating a space elevator that could last on the long term

WestRedMaple
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WestRedMaple » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:42 am

Space elevators, launch loops, any other system drastically reducing the costs of transporting mass into orbit would have major economic impacts. With the amount of money needed for development and construction, only those with incredibly deep pockets would be able to afford the up-front costs initially. Once one was completed, I would imagine several more would be built by competing powers. The economic and military implications are too great for everyone else to allow someone to have a monopoly on it (look at the growth of satellite navigation programs, then multiply many times).

Once such a system is up and running, then we'll finally see an off-Earth boom.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:09 am

More practical I think. Unlike a space elevator, which won't stay up without getting all the way up (to hold it's own weight), a launch loop would still be useful even if it can't launch vehicles to orbit. It could launch vehicles with a second-stage booster to get to orbit. The horizontal component of the launch trajectory is nearly as important as the vertical component, to enter Earth orbit.

Some issues to be resolved. A cable moving at Mach 50 obviously can't be exposed to the atmosphere. If the power goes out for one second, the cable touches the sheath and there is one mighty whip-crack. A rain of white-hot metal. And no more launch loop.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:22 am

Building a space elevator would require significant investment of resources and R&D and as such likely be funded by a national or international orginisation. The EU, USA, or possibly a international collaberation between nations like the F-35 or ISS. Obviously Russia and China wouldn't be involved with a European or American project, but may attempt to build their own. Also there would have to be economic and or political incentives to build one, so a timescale would likely be in centuries not decades.

There is no way Africa is getting one unless the continent has a serious reversal in fortunes, which is unlikely. Location could be near Hawaii for an American lead project, or near the UK for a europe based project. It's also likely that an artificial island or series of islands be constructed within 12 miles of the elevator to secure local airspace and establish sovereignty.
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

Chemaki
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chemaki » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:29 am

Dooom35796821595 wrote:Building a space elevator would require significant investment of resources and R&D and as such likely be funded by a national or international orginisation. The EU, USA, or possibly a international collaberation between nations like the F-35 or ISS. Obviously Russia and China wouldn't be involved with a European or American project, but may attempt to build their own. Also there would have to be economic and or political incentives to build one, so a timescale would likely be in centuries not decades.

There is no way Africa is getting one unless the continent has a serious reversal in fortunes, which is unlikely. Location could be near Hawaii for an American lead project, or near the UK for a europe based project. It's also likely that an artificial island or series of islands be constructed within 12 miles of the elevator to secure local airspace and establish sovereignty.

What? Russia and the US collaborated over the ISS. The F-35 was developed solely by the US. Collaboration is spelt collaboration. A space elevator cannot be located in either Hawaii or the UK. How would someone be able to construct islands from the pacific seabed? Why would they when the base for a space elevator design will most probably have to move, rather than be in a stationary point?

I'm really confused as to what points you're trying to make here.

Draakonite
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Draakonite » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:31 am

This is a a reason why we won't have to store nuclear waste for millions of years. Elevate it and kick it into the sun.

Quintium
Negotiator

Founded: May 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Quintium » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:34 am

Altergo wrote:Assuming that carbon nanotube technology allows us to build a space elevator in the next 30-50 years, would we?

I'll start my point by saying that, generally speaking, people are the problem instead of technology. So, whether one will be built or not will hinge on (1) the potential material gains from it from the only people or institutions potentially willing to invest vast sums of money in it and (2) the willingness of leaders and politicians to spend vast amounts of public money and resources on such a future instead of on the army to further their interests abroad or a welfare programme to bribe a significant part of the population into voting for them again. I mean, in the United States and Europe the space programmes have had to reduce their ambitions and aims because those governments don't have much money anymore and prefer to spend it on short-term, emotionally-popular stuff (welfare, foreign military interventions, waves of refugees resulting in part from those foreign military interventions, and this endless obsession we have with trying to turn millions of children into theoretically-educated know-nothings because we don't want our precious children to work with their hands). In short, if it's possible technologically we'd still have to find a use that would be (1) profitable for corporations and politicians and (2) easily defensible on a political level to general populations that feel entitled to free money and resources.

Altergo wrote:Would this open up space for the entire world, or provide a monopoly to a private corporation or nation?

There will likely be formal treaties and an international body to regulate it, but as it always goes whichever nation is strongest and most powerful will have the first and the most access.
And nations that are currently in a bad state in any way, from Greece to Somalia, will probably not get any access at all except in cooperative international schemes.

If the equator is the easiest place to build one of these things, then the authorities worldwide would pick a country that's safe, peaceful, and unlikely to seize the thing, charge heavily for its use or destroy it. So, the Congo (sheer chaos and bloodshed, the thing would end up being destroyed by some paranoid cannibalistic war lord soon enough) and Malaysia (they have a reputation worldwide for being stingy and liable to try to renegotiate an arrangement to improve the benefit to themselves) are unlikely choices. Places like Tanzania, Kenya and Indonesia are also unlikely for the same reasons. So, perhaps Ecuador, or Brazil, or some island near the equator but far from the world's major powers (Nauru, Kiribati, et cetera).
I'm a melancholic, bipedal, 1/128th Native Batavian polyhistor. My preferred pronouns are "his majesty"/"his majesty".

Quintium
Negotiator

Founded: May 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Quintium » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:38 am

Chemaki wrote:How would someone be able to construct islands from the pacific seabed?

Leave it to us. If it's land in the sea you want, it's the Dutch you need.
I'm a melancholic, bipedal, 1/128th Native Batavian polyhistor. My preferred pronouns are "his majesty"/"his majesty".

Khanestan (Ancient)
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Khanestan (Ancient) » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:41 am

Altergo wrote:So in one of those random debates that I'm sure happens to everyone, a group of my friends got a little heated into the concept of space elevators, and more importantly the implications the construction and utilization of a space elevator would have on the world. Assuming that carbon nanotube technology allows us to build a space elevator in the next 30-50 years, would we? Would this open up space for the entire world, or provide a monopoly to a private corporation or nation? Being as they are much easier to create on the equator than anywhere else, would nations such as the Congo, Uganda, Ecuador and Malaysia receive alot of attention and even grow economically if resources such as rare minerals from asteroids and helium-3 or other energy resources are brought down from the elevator?

These were the kinds of questions that were asked and I'm very curious as to what NS forum users have in forms of answers to these questions.

I don't know why people assume that technological development only lines the pockets of the rich. Vaccines were a huge leap of technology, and look how much that helped all the non-rich people out there.

Anyways, to answer your question, I think a space elevator would simply benefit everyone. The rich become richer, the middle-class become richer, the poor become richer. And yes, this would definitely benefit nations at the equator, although I doubt there would be any space elevators in The Congo or Uganda anytime soon. As I recall, a space elevator must be built within 30-ish degrees of the equator (correct me if I'm wrong). This opens up Brazil, India, Australia, and even some American and European territories like Diego Garcia and French Guiana. I think the First World will build a space elevator long before the Second- or Third Worlds.

WestRedMaple
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WestRedMaple » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:46 am

Chemaki wrote:
Dooom35796821595 wrote:Building a space elevator would require significant investment of resources and R&D and as such likely be funded by a national or international orginisation. The EU, USA, or possibly a international collaberation between nations like the F-35 or ISS. Obviously Russia and China wouldn't be involved with a European or American project, but may attempt to build their own. Also there would have to be economic and or political incentives to build one, so a timescale would likely be in centuries not decades.

What? Russia and the US collaborated over the ISS. The F-35 was developed solely by the US. Collaboration is spelt collaboration. A space elevator cannot be located in either Hawaii or the UK. How would someone be able to construct islands from the pacific seabed? Why would they when the base for a space elevator design will most probably have to move, rather than be in a stationary point?

I'm really confused as to what points you're trying to make here.

Well it COULD be anchored in Hawai'i, but I'd guess they would aim for simplicity and go with a sea base near or on the Equator

Risottia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Risottia » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:46 am

Altergo wrote:Assuming that carbon nanotube technology allows us to build a space elevator in the next 30-50 years, would we?

Not very likely UNLESS it's to build orbital docks - so to use interplanetary-only spacecraft.

Would this open up space for the entire world

No. Just for the corporation, conglomerate or national agency that built it.

would nations such as the Congo, Uganda, Ecuador and Malaysia receive alot of attention and even grow economically if resources such as rare minerals from asteroids and helium-3 or other energy resources are brought down from the elevator?

It's not like places which are just hosting logistic platforms grow a lot. Especially since the planetary transportation system have developed so much that there's a thing called globalisation.

Asteroid mining is anyway bollocks - and even assuming it were profitable, it doesn't require a space elevator to bring down stuff. Going DOWN the gravity pit is easy, and you just need a disposable thermal shield and a parachute.

Risottia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Risottia » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:47 am

WestRedMaple wrote:Well it COULD be anchored in Hawai'i, but I'd guess they would aim for simplicity and go with a sea base near or on the Equator

Kourou ftw.

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:13 am

Risottia wrote:
WestRedMaple wrote:Well it COULD be anchored in Hawai'i, but I'd guess they would aim for simplicity and go with a sea base near or on the Equator

Kourou ftw.

The anchor would have to be floating, lest even minor movements such as an earthquake or volcanic eruption cause the whole thing to disintegrate. It may be constructed of carbon nanotubes, but it will still be enormously fragile.
New to F7? Click here!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General