NATION

PASSWORD

CORNELLIAN EMPIRE NEWS (closed, Region Only)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ghant
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:17 pm

Gimme News

December 17, 2014

Exiled Tsarevich of Nekulturnya gives impassioned speech in Izotan.
Tsarevich Nikolai wants unity, self-determination and restoration of monarchy in Nekulturnya.

(Ghish, Ghant)- On a cold winter afternoon in Izotan, the capital of Izotza, the exiled heir to the throne of Nekulturnya addressed the world from the Palace of Izotan in front of a large crowd of onlookers. It is the first public statement made by the Tsarevich Nikolai since his father, the former Tsar Pyotr VII, died earlier this year after a battle with lung cancer. Since Pyotr's death, Nikolai claims to be the rightful Tsar of Nekulturnya as the former Tsar's oldest son and heir. This was what he had to say to the world.

“People of Ghant. People of Nekulturnya. People of the world. I come before you to address a situation that is very close to my heart. The situation of Nekulturnya and its people. I speak to you now as a son, a brother, a husband, a father, a grandfather. As a comrade, a fellow citizen of the world. As a Tsar of a nation both ancient and proud, but also one that carries upon its back a great burden, and has suffered greatly for its grave misdeeds.

It is a nation forged over centuries of history by the shared endeavors of millions of people from all corners of our country and without whose participation the course of Humanity cannot be properly understood. A great nation, in which I believe and which I love and admire; a nation whose destiny has been bound to my own for all of my life, as Tsarevich.

Before all the people of the world – and in this respect, too, with profound emotion – I wish to apologize for the actions of my father, Tsar Pyotr VII. From that fateful day sixteen years ago, he did the one thing that a good sovereign to his people should never do, and that is put his own people at risk. A sovereign must always act in the best interests of his people, and never act in a way that can lead them to the path of ruin. The threats against Eltanland, the threats against our neighbors, the use of nuclear weapons, these were all horrific and grim reminders of how important it is for the sovereign to exercise royal prerogative with a sense of great care and responsibility. That is why I would like to apologize to all those who were affected by those actions, not just Nekulturnyans, but also Vyrsarians, Eltanlanders, Nordkrusens, Macureans, Grossprussians, etc.

Throughout my life – as Tsarevich – my loyalty to the welfare and unity of a free Nekulturnya has been unswerving and irrevocable, as has, and will continue to be, my commitment to the values on which a democratic society rests. These same values of freedom, responsibility, solidarity and tolerance are ones that I have educated my own children in as well.

This is what Nekulturnya needs. A Tsar who will adhere to the exercise of the functions entrusted to him by the Constitution and who, therefore, symbolizes the unity and permanence of the State, undertaking its highest representation and arbitrating and assuring the normal functioning of the institutions.

A Tsar who must also respect the principle of separation of powers and, therefore, abide by the laws passed by the Duma and collaborate with the Government of Nekulturnya – which is responsible for determining the direction of national policies – and respect at all times the independence of the judiciary.

Have no doubt, people of the world, that I shall honor my commitment to my people; in discharging my responsibilities, I shall be a Head of State who is loyal and willing to listen; ready to understand, to warn and to advise; and always vigilant to defend the general interest of my country and its people.

Let me add, that in performing this act of such historical significance, but which is also of constitutional normality, it is my personal conviction that the Parliamentary Monarchy can and should be realized in order to render a vital service to Nekulturnya.

The independence of the Crown, its political neutrality and its wish to embrace and reconcile the different ideological standpoints enable it to contribute to the stability of the political system, facilitating a balance with the other constitutional and territorial bodies, promoting the orderly functioning of the State and providing a channel for cohesion among Nekulturnyans. These political values are essential for our coexistence, and for the organization and development of our life in common.

But the demands made of the Crown are not limited to the necessary compliance with its constitutional functions. I have always been aware that the Parliamentary Monarchy must be open to and engaged with the society it serves; it must be a faithful and loyal interpreter of citizens’ aspirations and hopes, and must share – and feel as its own – their successes and their failures.

The Crown must remain close to the citizens, acquiring and maintaining their appreciation, their respect and their trust; to do so, the Crown must safeguard the dignity of the institution, maintain its prestige and conduct itself straightforwardly, honestly and transparently, in accordance with its institutional role and its social responsibility. Because only thus will it possess the necessary moral authority for the exercise of its functions. Today, more than ever, and quite rightly, citizens are calling for moral and ethical principles to inspire our public life and for behavior to be exemplary in this respect. And the Tsar, as Head of State, must not only lead but also be at the service of this just and legitimate demand made by the citizens.

These are my convictions about the Crown, which from I wish to embody: a renewed Monarchy for new times. And I undertake my task with energy, with enthusiasm and with the open and innovative spirit that has inspired the men and women of my generation.

If we were to look to the past, I hope it would be not with nostalgia, but with great respect for our history; with the will to overcome whatever may have separated or divided us, and learning from our mistakes; and thus remember and appreciate everything that unites and gives us strength and solidity for the future, as well as reflecting on lessons on knowing what not to do again.

In this remembrance, too, we should always hold dear and recall, with immense respect, all those who as victims of reckless violence lost their lives or suffered in the defense of our freedom. They will remain in our memories and in our hearts. And the victory of the rule of law, together with our warmest affection, will be the best acknowledgement of the dignity they deserve.

Turning to address our present situation, let me also express my sympathy and solidarity with all those who have suffered the harsh impact as a result of terrorism, and whose very dignity as persons has been affronted. It is our moral duty to do all in our power to reverse this situation, and our public duty to offer protection to the most vulnerable individuals and families. Moreover, it is our obligation to transmit a message of hope, especially to the young, that solving their problems and, in particular, enabling them to find jobs is a matter of priority for society and the State. Violence is never the answer. I know all of the people share these concerns and these goals.

But, above all, people of the world, today I would encourage you to look forward, to the future; toward the renewed Nekulturnya that, in unison, we should encourage, from the beginning once more.

Over the recent years, and not without difficulties, Nekulturnyans have struggled, still trying to overcome past eras of tragedy, silence and darkness. Preserving the principles and ideals on which this coexistence is based, and to which I referred earlier, is not only an act of justice to the generations that have preceded us, but a source of inspiration and example at all times in our public life. And assuring the continued coexistence, in peace and freedom, of the Nekulturnyan people is and always will be an inescapable responsibility of all public authorities.

The men and women of my generation are heirs to Nekulturnya, and it is our responsibility to right the ship. A Nekulturnya that in ages past had its redeeming qualities. It is now up to us to pass it on to the coming generations.

But we also owe the duty to them, and to ourselves, to enhance that valuable legacy and to enrich the collective heritage of freedoms and rights that took such hard work to acquire. Because every political time has its own challenges; and because all political projects – like all human projects – inevitably remain unfinished.

People of the world, and especially the Nekulturnyan men and women of my generation, wish to revitalize our institutions. In our actions, we seek to reaffirm the supremacy of the public interest and to strengthen a democratic culture.

We wish to see a Nekulturnya in which the political forces can come to agreement on the issues and at the times when this is called for by the public interest. Our aim is that citizens and their concerns should be at the focus of political action because, with their efforts, their work and their sacrifice, it is they who drive our State forward and give meaning to the institutions of which it is comprised.

We hope for a Nekulturnya in which citizens regain and retain confidence in their institutions, and for a society based on civic values, tolerance, honesty and rigor, one that is open minded and constructive and acts in a spirit of solidarity.

And we hope, finally, for a Nekulturnya in which the ties of understanding are never broken, for this is one of the guiding principles of our constitutional spirit.

In this setting of hope, I wish to reaffirm, as Tsar, my recognition for our diversity as a defining characteristic of our very identity, in proclaiming the intention to protect all the people of Nekulturnya, their cultures and traditions, their languages and institutions. This diversity stems from our history, exalting us and giving strength.

Historically, Nekulturnya has been home to diverse traditions and cultures, which have enriched all its peoples throughout the ages. In such a Nekulturnya, united and diverse, based on the equality of all, on solidarity among its peoples and on respect for the law, there is room for us all; for all our feelings and views, for all the different ways of being Nekulturnyan. Because feelings, and all the more so in these times of difficulty, should never confront, divide or exclude, but should promote understanding and respect, coexistence and sharing.

And we must revitalize this coexistence every day, through the individual and collective exercise of mutual respect and appreciation of each other’s achievements. We must do so with sincere affection, with friendship and bonds of brotherhood and fraternity, which are essential to nourish our collective dreams and ambitions.

People of Nekulturnya, let us all work together, each with their own personality, enriching the whole; let us do so with loyalty, to achieve the new goals before us all in the twenty-first century. Because a nation is not only its history, it is an all-encompassing project, one that is felt and shared by all, one that looks to the future.

A new century, one that arrived under the sign of change and transformation and in which we live a reality that is quite distinct from that of the twentieth century. As we are all aware, profound changes are taking place in our lives, bearing us away from traditional ways of seeing the world and our place within it. And while this may provoke disquiet, uncertainty or fear, it also opens up new opportunities for progress.

If we are to rise to the occasion and meet the new challenges to our coexistence, we must all play a part: the public authorities must give the lead and define our great national objectives; but society, too, must provide enthusiasm, convictions and active participation. This task calls for a profound change in the mentalities and attitudes of many people and, of course, great determination and courage, vision and responsibility.

History has shown us that all the great advances have taken place in Nekulturnya when we have evolved and adapted to the reality of our times; when we have rejected acquiescence or resignation and when we have raised our sights, to look beyond – and above – ourselves; when we have reached a fresh, shared understanding of our common interests and goals.

The wellbeing of the men and women of our society requires us to position Nekulturnya in the twenty-first century, in the rapidly-emerging new world; in the century of knowledge, culture and education.

We now face the great challenge of promoting new technologies, science and research, which are the real energizers of wealth today; the challenge is to promote and encourage innovation, creativity and entrepreneurship, as essential attitudes for development and growth. In my view, these are all vital to the progress and modernization of Nekulturnya, and I have no doubt they will help us win the battle to create new employment, which is the major concern among Nekulturnyan people today.

The twenty-first century, which is also the century of the environment, must be one in which humanistic and ethical values – which we must recover and maintain – are exercised, to help eliminate discrimination, secure the role of women and further promote peace and international cooperation.

In my remarks today, I have sought to fulfill the duty I feel to convey to you and to the Nekulturnyan people, sincerely and honestly, my feelings, convictions and commitments regarding the Nekulturnya with which I identify, which I love and to which I aspire; and also regarding the Parliamentary Monarchy in which I believe: as I said before and as I wish to repeat now, my belief in a renewed monarchy for new times.

To conclude my message, I wish to thank the Nekulturnyan people for the support and affection I have received on so many occasions. My belief in our future is based on my faith in Nekulturnyan society; one that is mature and vigorous, responsible and caring, a society that is showing great fortitude and one that has a laudable spirit to prevail over its difficulties.

People of the Nekulturnya, we have a great country; we are a great nation, let us believe and trust in her. I am proud of the Nekulturnyan people and nothing would honor me more than if, through my work and my effort, day by day, I could make the people of Nekulturnya proud to call me their Tsar.

Great people of the world, today I beseech you to welcome an opportunity – that the reign of a constitutional Tsar should begun in a free and united Nekulturnya. A Nekulturnya that has learned from the mistakes of the past, with a Tsar that has learned from the mistakes of his father, and is ready to try again, on behalf of the principals of freedom, democracy, and constitutional monarchy.

And I beseech those of the Five Nations Treaty to consider this. The war is over. It ended sixteen years ago. Those lessons have been learned, and my people have paid dearly for them. Let us not punish Nekulturnya for all time, let us not deprive Nekulturnyans of their great nation. The time has come to put an end to the Occupation. The time has come for reconciliation, for unity, for freedom. The people of Nekulturnya, the people of the world, do not and will not accept a false system imposed upon them from outside. Only a system of government by and for the people of Nekulturnya will be considered legitimate.

Therefore, I urge you to end the Occupation, to withdraw your forces, to allow a free, united, democratic and responsible Nekulturnya to arise, one that can persevere into the future having learned the lessons from the mistakes it has made. And I beseech all nations of the world to support us in our cause, and to give us another chance to do things right. For have a responsibility not only to the Nekulturnyans of the past and the Nekulturnyans of today, but also to the Nekulturnyans of the future. A nation they can call their own, where they can be safe, free and be proud of their country! I believe in a free and united Nekulturnya! If you do too, do not recognize these false, puppet regimes. People of Nekulturnya, resist these chains that are being wrapped around you! Resist, for your history, for your way of life, for your children. Be strong, persevere, never resign yourself to a fate not of your own choosing. Be Nekulturnyan, now and forever!”

The Prime Minister of Ghant is expected to publicly respond to the speech as well as to the Vyrsarian Chancellor's recent public statements regarding Ghant's position regarding Dengali. More information will be provided as it becomes available.
Last edited by Ghant on Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Factbook | RP Resume | IIwiki Admin
Commended by Security Council Resolution #450
Recipient of the Greater Dienstad Roleplay Reward
"Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!" - Percy Bysshe Shelley, Ozymandias
XX XXX
XX XXX

Vyrsar
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Vyrsar » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:50 pm

headlines | vyrsar | region | sports | tech | lifestyle | business | travel | environment

Artyom Katayev Speaks Against Nikolai Zetsky-Orlov

The extremely popular leader of the NLA bites back against released speech

Kyiv- The release of a speech by self-proclaimed Tsar Nikolai Zetsky-Orlov was met with strong reaction in the West Occupation Zone. The vast majority in outrage against the notion of restoration of the crown, and many speaking in support of their own independent state. Artyom Katayev, who has served as the leader of the widely supported NLA for the past sixteen years, spoke out against this speech as an inflammation of violent monarchist resistance in the East and counter-productive of efforts to put an end to the violence that has raged throughout the rural and mountainous regions of the country since the end of the War of 1998.

"The Czar believes that the Five Nations have punished the people of this land. Deprived us, made us to pay for the crimes of of the monarchy. He believes that those in support of the monarchy are the ones who are fighting this unjust punishment. He is wrong in this. The Monarchists, insurrectionists have worked towards nothing but the terror of the population of not just what we once called Nekulturnya, but of our allies in the north as well. They launch rockets over the border to terrorise innocents. They support radicals in inciting violent riots and terrorism in the form of bombs and targeted killings. The monarchy, and those convicted in support of it, have not rebuilt this crumbling country.

"The ones who did rebuild it are the ones who were victims of the crimes committed by the monarchy. Despite the deaths of over a million of their people to the greed and pride of the monarchy, the Vyrsarian Confederation has shown nothing but conviction in the creation of a truly reborn nation. In the wake of conflict they have given food and clean water. They have extended infrastructure to areas the monarchy could not, building schools, roads, and electric plants. They created factories and jobs to encourage economic growth. In the beginning, they fought the beginnings of the Nezavisimosti and the Natsional'nyy Militsiya Armiya who hindered their efforts. At that time, they fought alone. When the NLA rose to aid those trying to rebuild this country it did not rise because of me, or my comrades. It rose because of the collective support of the people of what we once called West Nekulturnya. Now, in this time that is the beginning of the end, we must not forget what drove us. What drove us to support the cause of a free, democratic independent land we hoped to have. Now, with the help of our German allies and the support of all of you, we can finally put an end to the resistance and realise our hopes.

As a people, we can not forget the crimes the monarchy imposed on the Vytich peoples who have inhabited this land for centuries. This land we once called Austranya, labeled once as Nekulturnya, we can now finally turn a nation of peoples into the independent state that it was always meant to be. We can finally once more call it Austrania. In the west of the country that used to be Nekulturnya, we hold our own identity. Our own culture, own sense of national being. The Czar calls upon us to be Nekulturnyan. However, hear this. We are Nekulturnyan no more. Because of the sacrifices of our German ally and our own spirit and will in forcing the resistance to cower in the hills and mountains of the countryside, we can finally call ourselves Austranians."

Katayev's words were met with almost violent celebration by the vast majority across the West Occupation Zone. The implied assurance of an independent Austranian state has appeared to have appeased many opponents to the occupation, who feared a foreign takeover of the territory. In other areas, however, especially those where remaining OpFor strength gives voice to opponents, it was met with outrage.

The extreme polarisation of sides has left the world with a clear picture of what is what in Nekulturnya. In the West, it is clear that support of a separate state from the East and free of the Monarchy is the strongest, especially as less-convicted OpFor militants flee to monarchist strongholds in the East. In the East, however, the presence of monarchist influence is much heavier felt as Macurean forces battle the insurrection, a fight which has continued in stark contrast to the slow but strong and steady push of Security Forces in the west.

While support for independence grows more vocal, the Administrative Government remains silent on any developments towards actions regarding the future of what Artyom Katayev has now declared Austrania. While some regard this silence as troubling, others are more optimistic and consider it a potential sign of impending change, as the Administrative Government has had a history of reassuring the public. Whether this change is for the better or for the worse, however remains to be seen.

by Thomas Reus
17. Dec 2014

✎ 508 Comments
(Read All Comments)

✓ 2,130
⌘ Share this Story
"Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf."
-ESL
-This Nation does not represent my IRL views

Under New Management Since July 2014

Alizeria
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Alizeria » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:56 pm

SHEEP PASSES DRIVING TEST

December 18th 2014
ImageImageImageImage

Sally the Sheep - a ewe from County Belslough - has successfully passed a driving exam in a car that was specially modified so that she would be able to drive it.
Sally is widely believed to be the first sheep in the world to
learn to drive a car

The sheep - which was originally owned by beef and sheep farmer Robert McLaughlin from County Belslough - has been learning to drive a car for several months in a scientific experiment that originally started as a joke.

"If there's one thing ye could say about Sally, it's that she was one sheep that wasn't a follower," Said McLaughlin. "She always stood out by the fact that she always just... stood. She was lazy, she'd hardly walk anywhere. The rest o' the flock would be atop the hill, she was always stood at the bottom."

It was McLaughlin's wife who jokingly suggested that they teach the lazy sheep how to drive - and after a trip to the pub and several pints of ale later, he was dead set on actually doing it.

"I thought it would be a hell of a laugh." He said.

His work caught the attention of a group of scientists, who were themselves conducting tests to measure the intelligence of sheep and was partially funded by the an activist group opposed to the slaughter of sheep for meat, who wanted to highlight the intelligence of the animal.

After eight months of training on a mobile cart in a lab and several sessions in a simulation with trained animal instructors, Sally was ready to drive in a car that was specially modified so that she would be able to steer it and reach the brake and accelerator.

She was first made to drive on the McLaughlin farm, and proved surprisingly adept at driving, stopping and turning - so much so that they decided to sign her up for a driving test with the DVLA.

"When Robert called me and said he'd booked a driving test for 'Sally' I presumed he meant his daughter," Said Dan Leicester of the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency in the nearby town of Wexworth. "Imagine the look on my face when he turned up with a sheep!"

But that was the least of Leicester's surprises. After briefly liaising with his superiors in the Ministry of Transport and being given the green light to go ahead and proceed with the test, he found himself astonished to see the ewe go on to pass the test with flying colours.

"I have seen a lot of human drivers who could really stand to take a leaf out of Sally's book as far as driving etiquette goes," He said. "She was actually very good!"

Sally was then presented with her very own driver's license - something which made her baa in delight.

"We did flout a lot of regulations to get her this license. You're meant to be 15 and she's only 2 years old, and she never passed the theory part of the test," Said Leicester. "But at the end of day - she demonstrated that she can safely drive a car, and she passed the test. That's all I need to know to feel confident havin' her on Alizerian roads."

Robert McLaughlin said that while he was very proud of Sally, she probably wouldn't be hitting the road any time soon.

"At the end of the day she's still a lazy sheep. If she wants a car, it'll be the same rule as I have for me teenage children - she'll have to get a job and work for it like the rest of us."

McLaughlin's 15 year old son Samuel commented that he was in fact envious of Sally.

"I can't believe a fookin' sheep is able to pass the driving test, and yet I've failed it twice."

- ADT

In Other News:

• New Othman foreign minister Kam Sporel announces plans to improve relations with Alizeria
  • Government "undecided" on granting recognition to self-declared state of Austrania
  • Chancellor of the Exchequer: "If you think Ashtonomics is radical so far, you ain't seen nothing yet."

Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Group sites
©2014 ALNN Holdings, KoA Ltd.
IIwiki | Hansard | Foreign Affairs | Q&A
Late Roman Empire wrote:Draconians often joke that they double-inspect imports of Alizerian lamb for signs of coupling.

New Edom wrote:Did you hear about that Alizerian who said he’d eat some sheep’s balls on a bet? He won the bet, but damn did that sheep kick him.

Hittanryan wrote:What do you call a guy with his hand up a sheep's ass? An Alizerian mechanic.

Schottia wrote:While Belisaria is burning Schottia is watching football and Alizeria is teaching sheep to drive.

Shalum wrote:Alizeria, the one place where it's acceptable to be a lady by day, and a freak in the hay.

Vyrsar
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Vyrsar » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:18 pm

headlines | vyrsar | region | sports | tech | lifestyle | business | travel | environment

A Shift Overnight: Bloodshed in Indiscriminate Brutal Terror Attacks Against Vyrsar

-Monarchist and OpFor militants strike in series of indiscriminate bombings and rocket attacks in response to released speech by Nikolai Zetsky-Orlov
-Death Toll rises overnight to 443
-Mourning across Vyrsar and Austrania

Kyiv- Ruthless brutality and indiscriminate violence erupted overnight as monarchist and OpFor militants responded to Nikolai Zetsky-Orlov's call to action. In a series of bombings, rocket attacks, and vicious combat that continue, 400 civilians have been killed- the majority Nekulturnyan. 142 Vyrsarian civilians have been killed by overwhelming rocket attacks and bombings in the deadliest terror attacks since the beginning of the Occupation. One airliner was shot down by a militant-commanded Buk anti-aircraft missile system, that single incident responsible for 104 of those 142 deaths.

In the rural mountains, violence continues as Austranian and Vyrsarian forces drive back militants. The 'Night of Terror' as it has been termed has thus far been responsible for 89 military casualties; 14 Vyrsarian (2 dead, 12 wounded), 21 Austranian (9 dead, 12 wounded), and 54 militants confirmed dead by body count.

In both Vyrsar and Austrania, citizens and neighbours have come together in defiance of the ruthless attacks and attempts at terror. The innocent deaths have had a profound and immediate impact in both nations, as opinions harden towards the war. Now, there is a single determination and that consensus seems to be that under no circumstances will the likes of the OpFor and the Monarchists will be allowed to remain.

The events seem to have helped many make decisions as well. In Vyrsar, lines for recruiting stations stretched out the doors. In Austrania, the lines at Security Forces recruitment offices stretched out across buildings. In firebases on the border, troops responded with endless barrages of artillery fire and airstrikes against militant positions. In a stunning statistic, military experts found that the amount of ordnance dropped overnight was greater than the past two weeks combined. Outside one recruiting station in the border town of Weimar, one young man gave his reasons for the new drive to enlist.

"It is to defend our homeland and our nation," he said simply. "Since the very beginning of the existence of this country, we have always answered when our Fatherland and our Chancellor call for us to defend it. If they are attacking the border, what is next if we do not stop them? This town is my home, and I will not stand by and let my family be threatened."

Upon being questioned about what he thought of the released letter, he gave a very clear cut answer.

"I think that he should be put to death," The young man said bluntly. "It is because of him that the terrorists went out of their way to kill people. That blood is on his hands."

Chancellor Adenauer and Artyom Katayev called emergency meetings
Chancellor gives grim address

Today, we woke up not to a peaceful December morning, but to images of burning death and destruction. These images- of our countrymen and innocents murdered in raw hatred- have filled us not just with horror and grief, but with an unyielding and passionate anger. Our enemies meant for us to be frightened into retreat. Into leaving and not looking back. They have failed.

We have witnessed evil of the worst kind. The slaughter of innocent people in the interests of inciting terror and violence. But what that evil has failed to realise is that there is no terror great enough to even dent the steel of the foundations of this nation.

We have also, however, witnessed the strength of our nation today. The strength of our unity and fraternity, our loyalty to the Fatherland, and the unending courage of our brave servicemen and women, and the bravery and willingness to sacrifice of our young men and woman who today sign their lives in the defence of this nation. If we are to let these acts of evil shake our resolve, then we are to let the sacrifices of all who have died in the war against this evil be in vain.

To our brave soldiers, I offer these words. Do not count days, do not count miles. Count only your conviction and courage in the face of our enemy. The only word that they shall know will be defeat. Do not waver, do not let up, and take, above all, not one step back.

by Thomas Reus
18. Dec 2014

✎ 508 Comments
(Read All Comments)

✓ 2,130
⌘ Share this Story
Last edited by Vyrsar on Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf."
-ESL

Ghant
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:29 pm

| NATIONAL NEWS | LOCAL NEWS | ECONOMICS | SOUTH | NORTH | WORLD | FOOD | ENTERTAINMENT | SPORTS | OPINION |

Prime Minister slams Vyrsar, criticizes Adenauer
Nymun has harsh words for regarding the crisis in Nekulturnya
By John Igara| GHISH | Posted: December 19, 1:00 GST
TOP STORIES

Nymun slams Adenauer
Nikolai returning to Nekulturnya
Nathan in Arragard
Baby updates
Dengali
Christmas!
Azurlavai
Who is Nikolai?
Eltanlurra!
Honey baked ham

Prime Minister Nymun Izarbegiratzeak speaks his mind on Nekulturnya.

Ghish, Ghant- In a public statement issued during a press conference tonight, Prime Minister Nymun Izarbegiratzeak talked about the current situation in Nekulturnya.

“First off, I wanted to extend our sincerest condolences to the families who lost love ones as a result of the violence that took place today. The killing of innocent people should never be condoned, and it is our hope that all those responsible in perpetuating violence be brought to justice, on both sides. It is clear from these events that the status quo is totally unacceptable, and that a real end to the violence is needed in order to preserve stability in northern Acheron. The tremendous loss of life cannot be suffered by reasonable and free nations, which is why something must be done.

The Chancellor’s response to my statement regarding Dengali was out of proportion, and it should be seen with suspicion. Not only did we not address them at all directly, but there were those among them that drew a conclusion on their own that the situation in Nekulturnya is similar to the one in Dengali. It also seems as though those same individuals are attempting to justify Deadora’s actions by pointing to their own in Nekulturnya, which is ironic, since if the shoe fits, might as well wear it. Which of course, suggests guilt...the kind that comes with indefinite and indiscriminate occupation and oppression.

Interesting how they seem to be ignoring the fact that other countries, including the Shrailleni Empire, have criticized Deadora’s actions, but yet no counter statement is made against them. I get the sense that we are being accused of playing politics, which would be the pot calling the kettle black then. Might I digress, the Chancellor is right, there is much similarity between the situations in Dengali and Nekulturnya. Perhaps the international community ought to look into that.

I am tired of the rhetoric coming from across the Sea. Truth be told, we have come to the conclusion that what they are doing isn't legal or right. The continued occupation and the establishment of a puppet regime in Nekulturnya is provoking violence, such as what we have seen today. The Vyrsarian response was excessive and brutal, and bears the mark of a cruel oppressor. The continued aggressive attitude of Adenauer will undoubtedly result in an escalation of violence from those who wish to be free of the yolk of her and her henchmen.

The militants were located in sympathetic villages and cities, and thus, Vyrsar's retaliation, which consisted of excessive barrages of artillery fire and airstrikes against ‘militant positions’, i.e. villages, has caused the loss of many civilians and a great deal of property. The way to respond to killing innocents is not to kill innocents. This is why the situation is unacceptable.

Our operatives on the ground have compelling evidence that suggests that it was the Austranian militants, loyal to Katayev that attacked the airliner. Katayev orchestrated the plane crash to gain political support, and the international community should wonder if he is really a legitimate political figure or if he is a mob boss. This was a deliberate effort by Katayev to encourage greater Vyrsarian participation in the war to secure his own power and position. He is clearly a radical and Ghant will not stand for his leadership over the people.

Adenauer’s government is clearly a threat to the stability and safety of Northern Acheron with their excessive use of violence, promotion of propaganda, their wanton aggression, and their careless armament and support of Katayev, a man the world doesn’t know much about.”

Meanwhile, the Tsarist claimant, Lord Nikolai of the House Zetsky-Orlov, had the following to say:

“I will not permit my people to continue to suffer, and if my people are doomed to suffer, then I will suffer with them. I will be returning to Nekulturnya for the first time in sixteen years, despite the dangers, and I will not live in luxury while my people perish under the boot of foreign aggressors.”

These strong statements will undoubtedly earn attention from the rest of the world, and it remains to be seen what will happen. More details will be provided as they become available.
Last edited by Ghant on Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
XX XXX
XX XXX

Free Garza
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 17, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

King Backs Cabinet Decree on Nekulturnaya

Postby Free Garza » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:51 pm

Free Garza City Journal,
Doroteo Aguirre

His Most Catholic Majesty, Diego IV, by the Grace of God, King of Free Garza, has officially affixed his seal and signature to a cabinet decree recognizing the exiled Tsarevich of Nekulturnaya as "the lawful sovereign of the Grand Empire of Nekulturnaya. We have every confidence, judging by his recent public declaration, that he intends, like us, to govern wisely, justly, and constitutionally this nation from which he was exiled because of the crimes of his father. Our king's royal grandfather, too, committed many cruel acts of oppression, but as His Most Catholic Majesty is not his grandfather, so the Tsarevich is not his. However, we offer our condolences to the victims of all recent acts of terror, which are not the fault of the Tsarevich."

Acting on the King's advice, the cabinet led by Premier Marco Roman has acted legally and constitutionally to publicly repudiate the notion of a partitioned Nekulturnaya composed of puppet states. The Cortes may vote to overturn the decree, but until or unless it does so, this is now official foreign policy of the Restored Kingdom of Free Garza. Once again, the King and cabinet have proven that they will take necessary actions, but only within the limits and constraints of any crowned liberal democracy.

That does not mean that there were no critics. Most vocal of these was former Premier Jacinta Castillo, who denounced the newest action as "proof of a silly pro-Ghantish bent in foreign policy due to family prejudices on the part of the King. A restored monarchy that once nuked its own country and tried to destroy its neighbors by means of a nuclear first strike is not a regime that should be restored under any circumstances, least of all not in place of continued protection and administration by a democratic Vyrsar in transition to a democratic republic."

She also rushed to condemn the restoration of the Ghantish-Garzan alliance, which was submitted by the cabinet to the Cortes with the full sanction of the King.

"This is not an alliance that does us good at all. New Edom I can see, though Adiron is a better choice. Ghant, by God, is nothing but a medieval relic of superstition, social injustice, racism, and privilege. We should have nothing to do with Ghant."

In other news, and with much less commentary, Princess Rosa has voluntarily renounced her place in the line of accession in favor of her aunt, Princess Isabel, who is now Crown Princess Isabel and Heiress Presumptive to the throne, pending the birth of the King's unborn child by Queen Helga. It should be noted that Rosa herself explained it as "undoing at least in part the colossal injustice of my aunt's removal in the first place by our grandfather."

It is clear by these events that a full Ghantish-Garzan alliance is in the works....or is it? Only time and some elections can tell.

Also in the news, a plebiscite will be held on 1 January on the new proposed Constitution and Charter of the Ordinances and Institutions of the Realm. The Senate, the last obstacle, voted in favor of it by 87-13. The People's Assembly already approved by 257 to 43. If approved, the new Constitution will largely assign the bulk of executive powers to the Premier as head of a responsible government, but will retain the powers of a royal negative to legislation, supreme royal command of the armed forces and Civil Guard, appointment of ministers and judges, dissolution of the Cortes and presiding over joint-sessions of it, and the issuance of order-in-council. The male preference in primogeniture will be retained for now, but may be amended or revised in the future like the rest of the Constitution.
Last edited by Free Garza on Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Viva La Garza!

Alizeria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Alizeria » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:28 am

BREAKING NEWS:
SPECULATION MOUNTS OVER EMERGENCY CABINET MEETING

December 20th 2014
ImageImageImageImage

BREAKING NEWS
It has been confirmed that Prime Minister Anthony Ashton has recalled members of the cabinet to Krostuk for an emergency Cabinet meeting, the subject of which is yet to be revealed.

KEY POINTS:

• A leaked text message from the Prime Minister's Chief of Staff, Wayne Hodgeson, has confirmed that the Prime Minister has called an emergency meeting of the Cabinet
  • So far not one in Cabinet has claimed to know the subject of the meeting
  • Such meetings are usually reserved for national emergencies, such as the murder in October, natural disasters or theoretically for war or terrorism
  • The fact that the meeting is taking place late at night is considered highly unusual

Live Stream not available outside of Alizeria

LIVE UPDATES:

00:00: Welcome to our live-stream coverage of events in the capital, we have learned that the Prime Minister has called an emergency Cabinet meeting.

00:27: Emergency services have announced a statement that, quote, "There is nothing to panic about." This has caused an amount of panic in and of itself.

00:53: The Chancellor of the Exchequer has arrived. He has confirmed that the meeting is not anything to do with the economy and voiced his own confusion at events.

01:02: An official has emerged, possibly to give an official statement

01:03: The official was actually just putting Anthony Ashton's pet cat out for the night.

01:04: Official has gone back inside.

01:15: Speculation mounts that the meeting could be linked to Sheep Safety Week - there may have been a controversy or scandal over this year's Sheep Safety Award

01:31: Foreign Secretary William Eastwood arrives with Health Minister Tania Paxman. Foreign Secretary refuses to answer questions, rumours that this could be related to foreign policy begin to circulate.

01:43: The Minister of Economic Development arrives, speaks briefly to reporters but reveals he has no information on the subject of the meeting.

01:53: Broadcasting Minister Alexander Smith arrives. Jokes that 'the media are doing a good job by finding out about this', but says he knows nothing.

02:02: Meeting believed due to start. Attorney-General, Minister of International Development and Defence Minister arrive together.

02:04: Defence Minister Damien Rohan refuses to answer questions before storming off angrily.

02:17: Home Secretary Judith Brierly arrives with Environment Minister Cassandra Hall. Brierly says she is "late" and runs inside.

2:21: Remainder of Cabinet arrive together, Minister of Social Development confirms meeting to start at 2:30am. Says she does not know subject of meeting.

02:43: Backbench MPs suggest meeting could be about Water Cleanliness Regulations if not about Sheep Safety Week.

Late Roman Empire wrote:Draconians often joke that they double-inspect imports of Alizerian lamb for signs of coupling.

New Edom wrote:Did you hear about that Alizerian who said he’d eat some sheep’s balls on a bet? He won the bet, but damn did that sheep kick him.

Hittanryan wrote:What do you call a guy with his hand up a sheep's ass? An Alizerian mechanic.

Schottia wrote:While Belisaria is burning Schottia is watching football and Alizeria is teaching sheep to drive.

Shalum wrote:Alizeria, the one place where it's acceptable to be a lady by day, and a freak in the hay.

Vyrsar
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Vyrsar » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:35 pm

Chancellor Expresses Shock at Statements by Prime Minister Nymun Izarbegiratzeak

Says that accusations leveled in the statement range from unfounded to absurd and offensive

Zürich- The Chancellor, in an address today, gave perhaps her strongest words for the Ghantish Prime Minister. Expressing shock at the fact that the Prime Minister would suggest that the Vyrsarian Government would slaughter its own people, given the fact that Katayev and the NLA possess no long-range anti-aircraft systems capable of taking down a civilian airliner.

The Prime Minister's supposed 'intelligence' is, in fact, fabrication. The NLA and associated forces possess no long ranged anti-aircraft weaponry for exactly the purpose of potential security risks, the largest being the scenario of the NLA losing one of these aforementioned weapons to hostile militants. The entirety of the NLA's armoured force is given to it by the Vyrsarian Military. In this event, it is felt by many in the Council that the Prime Minister is therefore accusing the Vysrarian Government of murdering its own people. I myself have refrained from taking this stance, but the thought is extremely shocking and absolutely repulsive. Such an accusation is extremely counter productive to the pursuit of an ultimate peace in Northern Acheron. The Ministry of Defence, in a scheduled release at 16:00, will release full documentation of the Vyrsarian donations of Slavic anti-vehicle systems to the NLA and Austranian Security Forces.

Furthermore, the accusation that Vyrsarian troops fired upon and killed civilians is also extremely repulsive and similarly unfounded. Beginning at 16:00, the Ministry of Defence will release the in-action communications and the after-action reports from all, and I repeat all, units of the Vyrsarian Defence Forces, Austranian Security Forces, and NLA involved in the artillery and air bombardment in the Volkhinian and Volikhov Valleys on the night on December 18th through the morning of December 19th. These released documents will show, clearly, that all coalition artillery and air units do not have orders to, and did not, fire upon villages or towns inhabited by civilians. Barrages and airstrikes were ordered upon militant outposts, which are constructed by the militants on mountain peaks and mountainsides as hidden points for ambush or rocket launches. Upon the start of the rocket strikes over the border, artillery and air units were directed via unmanned aerial vehicle and satellite imaging that showed these launch points.

In my final address to another point made by the Prime Minister, no official statement was made comparing the Deadoran actions in Dengali to our own actions in the West Occupation Sector. Upon reviewing various media reports and released documents, it was clear that the only mention of such an opinion was that it was held by some in the Senate. It would be prudent to note that the Senate house of the Vyrsarian government is a strictly legislative body that does not deal in foreign affairs. The opinions of a small minority of Senators do not effect my foreign policy, and it remains brash to accuse me or any other members of the Executive of the Vyrsarian government of holding such an opinion without any evidence, and certainly without any official statement that asserted such. Likewise, it would also be prudent to note that my criticisms of the official Ghantish condemnation of Deadora stemmed from the accusations of a violation of the 1992 Treaty of New Laconia without any evidence, and that they did not criticise the Ghantish disagreement with Deadora's actions within itself.

by Thomas Reus
11. Dec 2014

✎ 306 Comments
(Read All Comments)

✓ 1,410
⌘ Share this Story
-ESL

Gavinium Magnus
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Chancellor Julian Calvert urges peace.

Postby Gavinium Magnus » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:59 am

Ascanium Monitor,
Jean-Pierre Renaud

Chancellor Julian Calvert, in a message for which he consulted His Sacred Majesty, King Maximian II, has issued an official statement calling for "peaceful resolution of all lingering disputes in this region, particularly those here in Acheron that threaten the goodwill, commerce, and amity of nations, as well as the safety and prosperity of their nationals."

"There have been some seriously strong words, some rather vitriolic rhetoric, in fact, and I would like to recommend that softer, more tactful language be used from here on out. It is high time that governments behave responsibly and remember the Great War and the consequences of recklessly marching toward escalation of disputes into conflict. The nations of Vyrsar, Ghant, Deadora, New Macureus, Shrailleen, and Free Garza I especially caution to reconsider some of their chosen rhetoric, and to a lesser extent the nations of New Edom, Adiron, and the Imperium as well.

"The disputes over Nekulturnaya and Dengali can be peacefully resolved and I recommend that they be so managed. It is the wish of His Sacred Majesty's Government that peace and prosperity be safeguarded against irrational and impulsive propaganda and agitation against one's fellow man. It is time for peace, normalcy, and goodwill, not for constant railing and saber-rattling. There has been enough conflict of late, in fact, far too much."

Chancellor Julian Calvert

His Sacred Majesty the King could not be reached for comment at this time, but he was reportedly planning a state visit, though to where was not yet announced.
"Love of one is a piece of barbarism, since it is practiced at the expense of all."- Friedrich Nietzsche

Vyrsar
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Vyrsar » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:50 pm

Ministry of Defence Release Discredit Ghantish Prime Minister's Allegations

Release shows vast records of transfers of military equipment to the NLA
Shines light on previous operations shrouded in mystery

Tens of thousands of VDF troops were deployed in a November offensive, sparking international controversy

Zürich- In accordance with statements made during an address by Chancellor Adenauer, the Ministry of Defence released extensive documents and records of actions in the West Occupation Sector, formerly referred to simply as West Nekulturnya (the latter term denotes its previous status under three separate occupation zones), at 16:00 yesterday.

Since then, analysts have gone through the records with a fine-tooth comb, looking for any hint of evidence which would support the allegations made by Prime Minister Nymun Izarbegiratzeak. Such allegations made were that Katayev was responsible for shooting down the airliner, that over the Night of Terror coalition forces knowingly targeted and struck civilian-inhabited towns and villages, and that Vyrsarian sources are carelessly arming Katayev and the NLA.

What was found was no evidence supporting any of these accusations outside of excessive violence, and in that instance what evidence was found was towards inherently hostile militants during engagements. Going down each allegation listed:

The claim that Katayev and the NLA were responsible for shooting down the airliner that killed 104 is inherently false, and also may bear evidence of the Prime Minister openly lying about Ghantish intelligent assets. The NLA's advanced anti-vehicle weaponry, including such weapons as Anti-Tank Guided Missiles, is supplied entirely through the Wehrmacht. For the exact purpose of national security, the Ministry of Defence keeps extremely thorough and extensive records of weapons supplied and continually keeps inventory of these systems in order to detect stolen weapons or capture by militant opposition. The weapon used to shoot down the airliner was positively identified as a Buk missile system. The Buk wasn't excessively plentiful at the end of the War of 1998, and reports from after the war show that Vyrsarian and Macurean forces captured or destroyed all but two Buk systems, using inventory reports from the Nekuylturnyan Defence Ministry which had taken annual stock of its weapons at the beginning of the year, only a month before the onset of the war. The last two Buks were known to be under the command of the NVZ leader Mikhail Kondrashev, who was at the time a Major serving in the Nekulturnyan Armed Forces. This is the first piece of evidence disproving the first claim. The second is that Ministry of Defence records show no transaction of any anti-aircraft system outside of two shipments of 30 9K38 Igla shoulder-launched missiles in 2003 to combat the NVZ's fledgling helicopter force. The missiles were all used by the end of 2004, and the helicopter force destroyed by June of 2005. Therefore, the assertion that Katayev was responsible for the tragedy is absurd, given that the NLA nor the Austranian Security Forces possess the weaponry necessary.

The extensive and thorough records also discredit the allegation of careless arming of the NLA, as the Ministry of Defence is quite clearly being very careful in their records and what they supply.

In speaking with several intelligence experts, it is also heavily disputed that the Ghantish do in fact have the necessary intelligence assets in the theatre to obtain the 'compelling evidence' they claimed to have. As said by intelligence expert Vasili Sokolov:

"Such an order, if it were given, would be extremely classified and strictly monitored in who passed it down to the actual team that would have carried it out. There would be as few people as possible used, all sworn to secrecy. This is, of course, disregarding the extremely heavy presence of Vyrsarian SIS agents within every rank of the NLA, who act as advisers and train NLA forces. This presence has been embedded in the NLA since its very formation in 1999, a fact that is public record. For such intelligence to be obtained, a Ghantish operative would have had to be undercover in the NLA for nearly 16 years without being found by either NLA informants or the SIS. A highly unlikely feat and even more unlikely scenario, given the extreme lack of Ghantish involvement in Nekulturnya, much less the NLA, since the War of 1998."

Next, the allegation that VDF and other coalition artillery units fired upon villages and towns and killed civilians is also disproved. Released communication transcripts from the night show that artillery fire and airstrikes were directed by UAV and satellite imaging onto militant rocket positions. The rockets used by militants for cross-border strikes are Type 90A rockets, fired from a BM-21 Grad. These rockets only have a range of up to twenty miles. Due to the fact that the fire was limited to the Volikhov and Volkhinian valleys, analysts looked at maps of the regions. What they found discredited this allegation. The inhabited towns located within that range limit in these valleys are located in the bottom of them, in between mountains. Following known militant tactics, it is extremely unlikely that militants would have fired from these positions, given that the mountains in the way make rocket fire difficult. Second, it is known that OpFor militants prefer to fire rockets from previously constructed outposts located on mountainsides and mountain peaks, which they also use to ambush coalition forces. It was from these outposts that these militants launched their strikes, a fact visible from images taken from that night. Therefore, in firing on these positions, coalition forces did not deliberately fire on civilian-inhabited locations, as accused.

For access of the full cache of released reports and documents, you can find them at http://www.bmvg.vr/en

by Thomas Reus
20. Dec 2014

✎ 508 Comments
(Read All Comments)

✓ 2,130
⌘ Share this Story
-ESL

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:53 pm

Green Split: Oversight Act a Liberal Bill?

New Laconia- The deliberations over the military oversight bill took a turn for the dramatic when on the floor Green Assemblywoman Martha Rutherford claimed that the act was penned by Opposition Leader Howard Saito. Introduced by Green Party Leader William Summers, the Oversight Act would mandate that all military action undergo extensive preliminary review by the Assembly except in cases of national emergency. This review would grant the Opposition expressed powers to scrutinize, limit, and potentially veto deployments of Adiran forces abroad.

Under the Act, Adiran troops cannot engage in combat operations until the review process is completed, though they may be moved outside of combat. The Opposition could direct use the process to potentially delay or modify proposed deployments. Unclassified aspects of plans could be disclosed to the press, influencing public opinion and generating wider debate. Short of a national emergency in which Adiran soil is directly threatened, the only way to bypass the review process under the Act is through national referendum.

Critics charge that the Oversight Act would cripple the nation's ability to respond to emergent threats. Armed Services Committee Chairman Michaels is on record as saying "Modern threats can materialize and act in the blink of an eye. The potential consequences to the Adiran people of waiting until it is too late are too grave to contemplate." Others, such as junior Assemblywoman Rhea Mandana, said it ran counter to the constitution. "The government is explicitly granted the power to declare war by the constitution. The President is command-in-chief of the armed forces. Can one bill change this?"

Opposition Leader Saito quickly asked Rutherford to provide evidence of her claims, which Rutherford deflected. Ultimately Rutherford did not produce proof the bill was a Liberal effort. However, Rutherford's claim seemed to sow dissent amongst the Green ranks. Assemblyman Xi was rebuked by the Speaker for attempting to press the matter on the floor. The move also marks a major break from Rutherford's original strong support of the bill, who characterized Operation Overcast as an example of the "adventurism" the Oversight Act would contain.

The President himself finally weighed in personally today in Question Time following the heated debate. President DeGroot argued that the Act is unnecessary and that Adiron's constitution and democratic process provide the necessary oversight required when it comes to military matters. "I believe that transparency in matters as grave as war is vital to a free and open society. My government has demonstrated that in every conflict Adiron has found itself in. This Act is not about transparency, but instead appears to be a cynical political ploy designed to drive a wedge in this coalition."
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

Alizeria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Alizeria » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:14 am

ASHTON ON ACHERON:
  • PM CALLS FOR CPO TO INTERVENE IN NEKULTURNYA
  • DOES NOT RULE OUT SENDING ALIZERIAN TROOPS

December 22nd 2014
ImageImageImageImage

BREAKING NEWS
A late night emergency meeting has seen Cabinet sign off on a plan that will see Alizeria formally call for the Cornellian Peace Organisation to oversee a referendum in the western sector of Nekulturnya.
The Prime Minister has called for greater CPO involvement in Nekulturnya

The plan, which has already been dubbed the "Ashton Plan" calls for Vyrsarian troops to yield to a multinational peacekeeping force 'preferably made up of countries that do not already have a stake in Nekulturnya' in exchange for CPO backing on a proposed referendum in the western sector, with one group declaring itself an independent nation known as "Austrania".

The Prime Minister said that if the CPO backs the plan or a version thereof, and is able to gain the backing of nations including Vyrsar, Ghant and New Edom - who have been locked in a war of words over the situation - then he will reconvene a special session of Parliament and debate whether or not to send Alizerian troops to the region - potentially the first such deployment in 50 years.

"This decision will be a Parliamentary decision, not a Cabinet decision," He said. "Cabinet has merely opted to back the plan that I personally have drafted."

Foreign Secretary William Eastwood said that he had "no comment" regarding the plan, other than to say he "supports the Prime Minister 100%."

It is widely speculated that the Prime Minister's office bypassed the Foreign Office entirely in submitting the plan to the Cornellian Peace Organisation.

"As we are are enjoying our Christmas break, and our summer, halfway across the world in Nekulturnya there is untold suffering and death occurring in a conflict that could threaten the entire region if it continues to escalate. That threat could well extend all the way down to Alizeria." Said the Prime Minister in his official statement to the press outside the Chancellery. "As a member of the Cornellian Peace Organisation, but above that as a member of the international community, the Kingdom of Alizeria has a responsibility to, where possible alleviate, arbitrate or even end conflicts, no matter how distant from our peaceful shores they may be.

"Accordingly, and with the blessing of the Foreign Secretary, I have submitted a plan to the CPO which would ask for the withdrawal of Vyrsarian troops in the western sector and replace them with a peacekeeping force under the direction of the CPO, while backing their plan for a referendum in the area, as an attempt to obtain a middle ground between Vyrsar on one side and Ghant and New Edom on another.

"Alizeria has close political ties to Ghant and New Edom, and we have warm relations with Vyrsar and applaud their attempts to bring peace, stability and democracy to a troubled region.

"As a neutral country, with warm relations with all those involved, and who pose a threat to none, I believe that we are in a position where we can arbitrate to de-escalate and possibly end the conflict and bring stability to the area.

"Therefore, the position that has been formally adopted by His Royal Majesty's Government, is that until a CPO-backed referendum is held in the Western Sector of Nekulturnya we shall refrain from recognising Austrania as a legitimate sovereign state and we call for the relevant powers to co-operate with the CPO to allow a fair and transparent referendum to take place."

Ashton said that he "accepted" that the proposal is unlikely to be accepted in its present form by the government of Vyrsar, but pointed to a planned amendment backed by both Vyrsar and Adiron that would allow CPO backed inspectors greater access to the area.

"Ultimately it's about creating a middle ground that can be agreed to by Vyrsar on one side and Ghant on the other. And it's about accountability - I'm cognizant of the perception that because Vyrsarian troops are in the area, that they could well influence the result of the referendum in their own favour.

"This is not an accusation I make, merely a concern that I am aware of, and as such this plan must seek to placate these concerns if a referendum is to go ahead."

The Prime Minister said that he felt it was Alizeria's duty as a "prosperous, free and Christian nation" to use its position as a neutral country to gain a better outcome for the people of Nekulturnya.

"Yes, the players involved in the conflict are all on the other side of the world and most don't know Alizeria exists. But the fact that we have warm relations with all involved, and are a country with no natural enemies, we are in the perfect position to arbitrate."

The shock announcement means that, for the first time in centuries, all eyes are on Alizeria as the tiny country leads the world.

- ADT

In Other News:

• SNAP POLL: Ashton's approval ratings skyrocket
  • Burchard: "Ashton's actions unprecedented in Alizerian history."
  • Opposition: Ashton Plan just 'cynical ploy' by Liberals to gain popularity

Ghant
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:17 am

Cossack Public Statement

December 22, 2014

Greetings fair people of the world,

I speak to you today as a fellow man, a citizen of the world. I speak of a plight…the plot of the Nekulturnyan people. Many of you are familiar with the situation based upon what you see in the media. That is a picture carefully crafted by the powers that hold dominion over our lands. Let me tell you about the real Nekulturnya. About the reason why we struggle.

We were a powerful nation of proud people, for millennia. With great power and success, however, comes enmity and envy. The Five Nations criticized us for our imperialistic tendencies, to the point of war when we claimed Eltanland from the Ghantar. Czar Pyotr authorized the use of nuclear weapons, those weapons failed, and the rest was history.

But let’s not dismiss what happened next. Our great nation, in its our of need, became occupied by the five nations, and divided into five occupation zones. The Germans didn’t see this as an opportunity to help restore Nekulturnya and the dignity of its people. No, they saw it as revenge, some kind of final victory against their old Slavic enemies. Exploitation, corruption and cultural erosion became the name of their game. And now after sixteen years, they claim that their occupation of our lands is justified in the name of security.

What about our security? Do we not have the right to defend ourselves from external threat as well? It is clear that the Germans regard themselves as superior to us, that we do not have the same rights as they. I tell them, if you care so much about your security, then you should leave our lands and give us the freedom that we yearn for. Do that and there will be peace. When our children are forced to speak German and we are reduced to poverty and thralldom, then young men resort to violence. Therefore, it is clear that it is not us that initiate the violence. It is you, by seeking to subjugate Nekulturnya and its people.

And then there are the Macureans, who have conducted themselves monstrously in the east. Reeducation camps, promotion of atheism, cultural annihilation, and assimilation are their goals. How can any nation condone this? How can any nation that values freedom support the continued presence of the Macureans in Nekulturnya?

We will not allow ourselves to be reeducated. We value a strong belief in God, that Jesus Christ is our Lord and Holy Savoir, that there is but one Country, indivisible and under God. We believe in the Nekulturnyan language and its culture, in our historic way of life. We value honor, freedom and devotion to our Tsar, and to God.

Our enemies grow desperate…they know that their cause is failing them, as the world sees the horrors that continued occupation brings. In the village of Livny, home to humble, Christian Nekulturnyans, there was a terrible attack launched against them by the Germans in retaliation for the one true Tsar’s speech. Artillery struck the village, as it was decided to be a “base” of militia activity. Everyone in the town was murdered…dead in their homes. Men, women, children, burned and blown to pieces. You can see for yourself…images are attached. Let the world see how truly our people suffer. Link

Know that if you support the occupation, you are supporting the exploitation, murder and annihilation of a distinct and historical group of people. Is that justified by the actions of the mad Tsar Pyotr? Do his actions justify the doom of our people at the hands of Germans and Macureans? No person with a heart would say yes. No person who believes in freedom would say yes. No person who loves children and believes in God would say yes.

I am Vladimir, Commander of the Nekultrunyan Cossacks. I am the defender of Christianity in Nekulturnya, the supporter of the one true Tsar Nikolai of the House Zetsky-Orlov, and I have but one dream. A free and democratic Nekulturnya, that is proud of its identity and of its long history. One that is strong in its belief in God and in its love of freedom. We would be a good and honorable ally to any and all who would call us friend and not thrall. Please support our cause now, while there is still hope for our people. Please don’t let more of our children burn in their beds under the thumb of ruinous occupying powers.

-Vladimir,
Commander of the Nekulturnyan Cossacks
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
XX XXX
XX XXX

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:46 pm

Series: Dengali Crisis

(An animated graphic of the ANBC logo comes into view before cutting to a sleek modern set. A middle-aged news anchor in a suit is seen straightening some papers. Cut to the news anchor, who is seated before a window of the nighttime Puerto Rojo skyline)

Good evening, I'm Mark Townsend. Our latest from Dengali, we bring you new stories straight from the streets of Josiastown on public opinion, New Edom's perspective, the arrival of Edomite troops and more. See the full interviews on ANBC.org. Senior Correspondent Chris Olsen reports:

(Cut to footage from around Saint Stephen's University, with Townsend narrating. A football pitch, walkways among green sculpted trees and buildings of white and red brick and glass stand pristine in their neo-classical beauty. Several shots also show the campus busy with activity, not only sports events and people hurrying or strolling to and from classes, and ending on several shots of crowds whistling, shouting and chanting)

"Saint Stephen's University is the oldest and largest university in Dengali, an educational hub with a vibrant student life. Its student body includes a wide sampling of Dengali peoples, from urban to rural, rich and poor, and opinions on the government's response are as diverse as them."

(Cut to footage from the protest)

"Tabora is part of Dengali!" shouted a student leader with a megaphone.

"And always it shall be!" shouted the protestors.

"Tabora is part of Dengali!" he shouted, raising his fist.

(Cut to stock footage of the protest, showing antiwar and pro-intervention signs. Townsend resumes narration)

"A number of Dengalis are critical of General Ajam's campaigns against neighboring tribes and provinces, as well as the Andrews government's response to his activities. Some argued that Andrews turned a blind eye to the warlord's activities."

(Cut to footage of a representative of the Christian Democratic Student's Union)

"It does not matter If Ajam is a terrorist or not, this proof could have been fabricated, yes, but the fact is he has attacked Kavo, Barbo and other tribal peoples to take their land, he has turned clan against clan in a fight for grazing territory and fomented civil war. President Andrews' lack of clarity on this issue must be challenged." he argued adamantly.

(Cut to stock footage of the protest, showing antiwar and pro-intervention signs. Townsend resumes narration again)

"Many of the protestors oppose the Deadoran intervention, but are conflicted as to the appropriate response. Some call for the Republic to treat the intervention as an outright invasion of Dengali, and for the government to consider military action. Others are more measured, opposed to provocative action that might plunge Dengali into war once more. Provocative action...such as the arrival of Edomite troops."

(Cut to footage of a student)

"We are glad to honour the New Edomite soldiers who have come," said an education degree student, shifting her books in her arms, "But we hope they haven't come to provoke war with Deadora. Dengali is our country, we don't want it to become a battleground."

“What will you do if the fighting comes this way?” Holly asked in what appeared to be a genuinely worried tone.

“Where can we go?” the young education student said with a sad smile. “This is our home. We will hope that Josiahstown is spared any fighting and shelter with our families. I am a first aid volunteer as well as a student teacher, I have responsibilities to my family and my students. I could not abandon them.”

(Cut to footage of another student)

"Others," Townsend narrates, "feel the opposite way, that the Edomite presence is necessary to ensure the country's safety."

"I hear some people," said a smiling young man in a football jersey and shorts, leaning on a ball with his foot, restlessly dribbling, "Say that the New Edomite forces here are provocative. Well, I feel a lot safer with them here. But if people complain, they need to think about how tough it is for the government--some people might have spent all the public money on arms, but President Andrew wanted this to be a good country, and we voted for that. He wanted to have New Edom and Shrailleeni back us up if we got in trouble--we voted for that too!"

(Cut to footage of the Edomite Embassy. Townsend narrates once more)

"Edomite backing for the Republic is guaranteed. Press Attache Maria Dinny with the Edomite Embassy reaffirmed New Edom's support for Dengali's sovereignty and opposition to the Deadoran invasion."

(Footage of Maria Dinny)

“We have heard the views of the Matriarch Empress, but our government believes she is wrong. Dengali is a sovereign state. Period. If the Deadorans want to investigate Ajam, present the evidence publicly and call him to account, they can do that in cooperate with the Dengali government and their allies,” she explained. “That has been the joint position of the Allied States of New Edom and the Republic of Dengali from the outset. As a compromise with the government in Dressana we are prepared to support their mission to arrest Ajam, but we continue to want to get the Deadorans out of Tabora. We would prefer that this process should be peaceful.”

(Shot of an Edomite C-10 flying overhead, cut to a shot of Edomite armored vehicles unloading, cut to a shot of Colonel Daniel's arrival)

"In the event the process is not peaceful, the Edomites are prepared for a fight. A Public Information Officer was on hand to explain why the 32nd Hussars were deployed."

(Cut to Captain Mereka Fabian, in tropical forest BDUs and a neat forage cap, a friendly looking young woman with light brown eyes, dark brown hair and a strong attractive face stood outside a motor pool where great numbers of vehicles--land rover like Pseudonjas, six wheeled Hamsher APCs, one ton trucks were being gathered and tended to by mechanics and people operating fueling vehicles, soldiers milling around in only apparent disorder nearby)

“Well, to paraphrase an old saying--” said Fabian, grinning, “We don’t want to fight but by Jingo, if we do--we’ve got the planes, we’ve got the tanks, we’ve got resources too!”

“Speaking of which, who do the troops think they’ll be fighting? They have their orders, but what’s the general sentiment?” Olsen asked.

Captain Fabian said, “What is to be hoped is that this will just be a matter of containing and assisting in the capture of Ajam, and helping keep the peace in the area. But there’s the possibility of open conflict with the Deadorans, yes. We hope negotiations and peace will prevail. That’s been the situation since the Great War though, you know. Tension. Things have been better lately though, so all we can hope to do is be prepared in case things really do go badly.”

“Under what circumstances would fighting with the Deadorans break out? If it did, would it be limited to Dengali or could it mean a third Battle of Magna Lacuna as well?” Olsen asked gravely, referring to the front in the Great War from 100 years ago.

“If the Deadorans refuse to leave Tabora, refuse to negotiate their departure...if they further violate Dengali sovereignty...and if they refuse to surrender Ajam, if they get him, to the Shrailleeni, Dengali or to New Edomite authorities, then there’s the possibility that we will be ordered to use force to deal with them,” replied Captain Fabian in a calm voice. “As for it meaning general war--it could. There is the possibility that if we try to contain Deadoran operations here with military force that they will launch an attack across our borders--around Magna Lacuna, over the border of Teman possibly. Thus far both governments are vigilant but have maintained a negotiate first policy. But yes, it could happen. We all know this.”

“Do most feel that Dengali is worth risking a general war?”

“Dengali is our ally,” said Captain Fabian gravely. “The Book says that the good shepherd, missing one sheep out of the flock will risk his life to bring that one sheep back safely to the fold. This is how it is.”

(End of segment)
Last edited by Hittanryan on Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:45 pm

New Laconia Times
Editorials

Don't Give the Keys Back

1998 seems like such a long time ago. We've been so busy since then, after all. So many new triumphs and troubles have arisen since then, most of them very close to home. Nekulturnya has been an afterthought with the Czar deposed and the once-volatile nation occupied by the Five Treaties.

The last Czar, Pyotr Zetsky-Orlov, is most famous for nuking his own country. However, his reign's other hallmarks included corruption, territorial expansionism, and negligence. House Zetsky-Orlov's record as rulers of the Grand Empire is not stellar on the whole, witnessing one of the Great War's few decisive defeats, halting piecemeal modernization efforts, and economic stagnation.

When a man faces charges for Driving Under the Influence, the correct response is not to hand him another joint and give him back his keys.

Recently in the press, Nikolai Zetsky-Orlov stated he had a "claim" on the supposed throne of Nekulturnya. By virtue of his family name, he believes the international community is supposed to bend over backwards to accommodate him and make him a head of state.

Nuts to that.

His family had no right to run Nekulturnya into the ground. His family had no inherent right to run Nekulturnya at all. They certainly didn't earn the privilege through responsible rule or any kind of competence. The poorly-executed wars started by authoritarian fiat, the palaces erected during crippling recessions, the mismanagement and misrule that finally ended in total capitulation in 1998.

Nikolai's family has done nothing to inspire confidence and has no right to lord over Nekulturnya even in a ceremonial role. Let him win an election if he wants to get involved in politics. Otherwise, let him keep making snow forts in Ghant.

Editorial by John Sunderland, Deputy Chairman of the Sustainability Alliance

Alizeria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Alizeria » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:31 am

OLD-SCHOOL ROCKERS CLAIM CHRISTMAS NUMBER ONE
GERIATRIC ROCKERS PINK FLUID DETHRONE 13 YEAR OLD POP PRINCESS KINGA

December 25th 2014
ImageImageImageImage

Pop Princess Kinga has had her hopes of claiming this year's number one single dashed after legendary rock group Pink Fluid's new single "Uncomfortably Sensitive" skyrocketed to the top of the charts this week.

Legendary rock band Pink Fluid pulled themselves out of retirement homes for a special performance after
"Uncomfortably Sensitive" was announced as this year's Christmas Number One

The new single, which appears on Pink Fluid's new album The Finite Stream was released this week, much to the chagrin of Y-Factor winner Kinga's loyal legion of adolescent fans.

Kinga (real name: Danielle Stewart Hobson, Viscountess of Devonport), the 13 year old pop sensation who rose to fame after winning a record deal on "The Y Factor" and who gained international attention via the internet, had until this week been the favourite to gain the Christmas Number One slot, with her song "Individual" having been number one for the last two weeks with no signs of letting up.

Kinga's father David Stewart-Hobson, the Earl of Devonport said that his daughter had been "in tears" over not gaining the Christmas Number One this year.

"My little Princess said it's just not fair... I mean, she's used to getting her own way," He said. "Even when I bought her a Ferrari it still wasn't enough to cheer her up. The other thing is she's not old enough to really know who Pink Fluid are... she just sees a band of elderly peasants somehow beating her to the top of the charts."

Kinga also complained on social media, saying that she spent "almost half an hour" writing the song and trying to autotune her voice for it.

Several of her fans were also upset.

"Kinga is the most talented musician in the world ever, like totally oh my god!" Said Janet, 15, from Everton. "Most musicians use their actual voices instead of autotune which sounds wrong, or make songs too complicated with too many instruments and notes and words in their lyrics. Not Kinga though... I can relate to her music."

There was also a degree of surprise amongst fans of Pink Fluid, with most people believing that the legendary rock band "had passed their prime and no longer had it in them" or else were "too old".

"What was that sonny? You'll have to speak up a bit." Said Pink Fluid frontman Seymour Gilles, who recently celebrated his 89th birthday.

2014 becomes the third year that the band have gained a Christmas Number One, having previously gained the honour with hit singles "Glad You're Not Here" and "Another Link in the Fence". This most recently occurred in 1991 - 20 years before Kinga had even been born.

"The fluid will never stop flowing!" Said James, a Pink Fluid fan from County Chiridia. "But enough about this strange substance that I spilled on the ground, because Pink Fluid have gained the Christmas Number One and they're quite a good band whose music I generally enjoy listening to."

The band were presented the award by the Official Charts Company and reconvened for a special one-off performance featuring every band member except for former guitarist Bart Melbourne who, after joining a cult 40 years ago, has not been seen in 20 years and was last sighted in the deserts of New Othman, living in a tent.

The one-off performance saw Seymour Gilles and Rodney Fires finally reunite, ending "years of creative and often sexual tension", while keyboardist Harry Wong also appeared on stage despite having been dead for six months.

"To be honest we hadn't actually noticed he was dead," Said drummer Dick Stone after the performance. "Harry always smelled a bit like he was decomposing, so it's really just business as usual."

The band have said that they "probably" don't have the energy to tour again but said they "won't rule anything out" (apart from Rodney Fires who said that he "didn't rule out ruling anything out and would definitely be ruling out not ruling out ruling anything out" in his typically stubborn and slightly confusing manner.)

Pink Fluid are by far the most successful music group ever produced in Alizeria, and one of the most successful in the world, having sold over 70 million albums, two blocks of cheese and a time-share apartment worldwide.

International acts made up the rest of the Christmas charts, with New Edomite songstress Poppaea's ""Because I'm Missing You" - written for soldiers stationed abroad in Christmas - gaining the number three spot, although Alizeria's Aurovision song contest entry "My Lovely Horse" by Ben Dover and Phil McCracken remains steady at number seven, making this the most appearances in the top 10 charts by local musicians on record.

"The fact that we have Alizerian acts taking the top two positions on the charts this Christmas, plus another in the top 10 really shows the strength of the Alizerian music industry," Said Alexander Smith, the Minister of Culture, Heritage and the Arts. "Incidentally, the government plans to cut funding and subsidies to the music industry next year. Let's face it: It's not like it needs the help."

Most of the proceeds of the latest Pink Fluid single are likely to go towards the "Sunny Village Retirement Home" in North Krostuk, where at least half of the band's members now live.

Christmas Top Ten Singles of 2014:

1. "Uncomfortably Sensitive" - Pink Fluid
2. "Individual" - Kinga
3. "Because I'm Missing You" - Poppaea
4. "That Song From Last Summer" - Olivia's Minstrels
5. "(I call her) Happy" - Phillip Valentine and the Cherubim
6. "Little Talks" - The Rogues
7. "My Lovely Horse" - Ben Dover and Phil McCracken
8. "Rock Bottom World" - Aquila
9. "Land of Hopes and Dreams" - Angus Black and the Torchbearers
10."Everything Comes Together Nicely" - Touchy Tail

- ADT

The Alizeria Daily Herald would like to apologise to readers for a mistake in an earlier edition of this article, the headline of which read "GERIATRIC ROCKERS PINK FLUID DEFLOWER 13 YEAR OLD POP PRINCESS KINGA".

This was a simple typing mistake, many of our editors had a bit too much Christmas wine today.

In Other News:

• King calls 2014 "a year of great change and great tribulation" in his annual Christmas speech
  • Ashton says Alizeria "probably" would oppose the return of a Czar in eastern Nekulturnya
  • Food banks see busiest Christmas ever, say Ashtonomics to blame

Last edited by Alizeria on Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:38 am, edited 5 times in total.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:19 am

THE FINEBERG TIMES

December 27th, 2014

New Edomite Troops Land in Dengali

32nd Hussars advance into Kavoland

By Annabelle Barca

JOSIAHSTOWN, Dengali— Accusations of harbouring terrorists led to the invasion of the Republic of Dengali by the Feminist Empire of Deadora. Earlier today President of the Council of Ministers Perrin Pahath-Moab briefed the Heir, Crown Princess Jocasta, on the Allied States' government's plan to support Dengali's sovereignty. President Andrews of Dengali has welcomed this response in his interview in ANBC news as well as in responses to his own Parliament, which has voted 77 to 18 with 7 abstaining in support of joint Edomite-Dengali action to defend its borders with force if a show of force will not suffice.

"We grieve for the losses in the terrorist attack on the Deadoran power plant, but we deplore the reaction to invade Dengali. We stand by our policy, and we are determined to see Deadoran troops leave. The moment they do, we will cooperate with the Deadoran government to see the Warlord Ajam brought to justice--in a court in Dengali, where all evidence produced by the Deadoran government will be properly considered under international law," said President Pahath-Moab to the press corps. Thus far responses between the statements of the President of the Council and the Deadoran Empress Jennifer Thrall have been indirect, stated to foreign governments or the press, with meetings between diplomats undisclosed.

"There is hope," said Undersecretary of Foreign Affairs for Cornellia Levi Dathan, "Of negotiated peaceful resolution, largely through the Shrailleeni Empire's leadership in Dressana, which is attempting to mediate. We feel it is important to trust in this process but demonstrate our sincerity and loyalty to our ally."

New Edomite soldiers from the 32nd Regiment of Hussars and from the 17th Light Troops arrived in Dengali earlier today and began to advance into Kavoland Province in Dengali, bordering the invaded Tabora Province. According to Public Information Officer Captain Fabian the troopers are in good spirits and prepared to do their duty. "While we hope there is no war, we are ready for it," the officer said in an interview with foreign journalists. Their arrival seems to have generally been received with welcome by Dengali citizens, who lined the streets outside the capital of Josiahstown to wish them well.

- King's Speech from Alizeria admired by many
- Best Christmas in Edom in over a decade say readers
- Princess Jocasta tours nation and abroad
- "The Feminists" all time blockbuster film in nation
Last edited by New Edom on Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Schottia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Schottia » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:34 am

The Daily Worker
The Colony's News in Brief

Domestic News

General elections
As the election moved into its final phase the would be High Council Leaders have been out doing their rounds, trying to drum up as much last minute support as possible. It hardly seemed imaginable a few months ago, but it looks now as though a coalition between the SSP and the Workers' Party is the most likely outcome. It would seem the two parties, who split in 1979, could be close to being thrust back together. This would effectively see the Schottic Socialist Workers' Union back in power, and a collaboration between Amy Connell and Isabella Sillvera. A recent Scot-gov poll had the predicted results as follows: SSP 34%, SWP 15%. This would mean that they would potentially only need a few Greens or independents on board to make a majority coalition government.

West Belkeran independence
The region of Belker is believed to be close to electing a councillor from the pro-independence party. Belker which is home to 800,000 people has always been torn on the issue. The region's inhabitants have always identified with the Osorians to the north, and many of the place names have Gaelic and Celtic influences and in the west Ossorian Henotheism is even the main religion. In towns such as Obar Dheathain and Banbh the BIP are the largest party and are believed to be on the verge of winning one or maybe two seats. There has been a strong consensus for several years that the people in the west of Belker would like to go it alone, however, the majority of people living in the east of the region are largely happy with the status quo. As a result of this the latest suggestion is that the communities in the west may look to break off and at least gain some degree of self governance.

West Belker Fact File

Gaelic: Sair Bhlecer
Population: 270,000
Largest town: Obar Dheathain
Area: 702 km2

International News

Hostillia
Schottic Hydro confirmed this week that they have been working closely with the Hostillian people, providing help and guidance in constructing hydro electrical dams to provide power to some of the poorest people in the region. This has been part of a huge aid package, which Schottia has pledged, in efforts to help the millions of citizens living in poverty. Hostillia's people are currently some of the worst off in Belisaria, and with the current birth rate no doubt putting a strain on the nations infrastructure, it is abundantly clear that the nation is in need of help.

Dengali
New Edom have promised support to the Dengali people vowing to preserve the sovereignty of the Southern Archeronan nation. This comes in the wake of a Deadoran counter terrorism offensive, which has been met with criticism in Schottia. The feeling amongst the Schottic public has been that the Deadoran's have acted rashly and with little proof of any wrong doing. Whatever the outcome our thoughts will be with the Dengali people who face enduring yet another war in this deeply troubled region.

Sport

Cornellians
MPL side Cornellian stand on the verge of winning Group D after a 4-3 win against Buyanese side Dyatinsk Barbarians. A double from Daniel Cleopas and goals from Cosmin Dobrescu and Mark Kelman were enough to edge tight encounter. Next up the Eagles welcome Circle's Eleven, it what will be a deciding match.

So far Cornellians, and their wide mix of regional stars have been living up to their billing and will hope to be challenging for the title when the competition reaches its final phase in the new year.

Sebastian Muller, 7 out of 10: The Shalumite keeper has been solid when called upon so far. Ever dependable, he shows the advantage of having a player of international experience between the sticks. Muller enjoyed his best game against Dyatinsk, where he had to be on top form to help the Eagles record an important win.

Santiago Lowe, 8: Lowe, one of the stars or the Cornellian Cup 2014, has been an important player this season. His ability to get down the line and support the attack is invaluable to the team. The Adiran has got bucket loads of pace, and as well as marshalling the right of defence, he has had a hand in a fare few goals. Lowe will definitely be one of the players Jock Sonny is keen to keep a hold of.

Jena Koemann, 5: It has possibly been a step to far of Koemann who signed from Handon Ladies. Although she has proven herself in the past, playing for Schottia in the Di Bradini Cup, Koemann has struggled with the pace of the MPL. This is probably a position Sonny will be looking to fill in the transfer window.

Scott Burton, 8: Unlike his U-21s buddy Koemann, Scott Burton has gone from strength to strength in this Cornellians side. Bursting on to the scene with Lammerton City three seasons ago, this has clearly been the break he has been be waiting for. Burton is a towering presence in the centre of defence, and has already been promoted to vice-captain. He has formed a rock solid partnerships with Edomite Michael Pabadakis.

Michael Pabadakis, 7: The Edomite Cornellian Cup winner hasn't exactly put a foot wrong this season, however slightly more may have been expected from one of the world class players in the squad. That said, the Eagles have been pretty tight at the back, and a lot of it has been put down to his partnership with Burton. Two younger players, it has been a great opportunity for them to learn from one another.

Willie McIntyre, 7: We were a little unsure as to how he would settle in an Cornellians FC, after making the switch from New Belfast Blues. However, McIntyre has proven that he can take his consistency in the Schottic League to the next level in the MPL. Combining well with Lowe on the left flank, he has contributed much needed width to the side, chipping in three assists already. It will be interesting to see where the winger goes from here. Keep up the strong performances and surely the national team beckons.

Scott Cooper, 6: Cooper joined the club from Schottic division two leaders Granton Vale just before the start of the campaign. Most would say he has been okay without coming close to being outstanding. Although the 25-year-old had shown glimpses of real promise, too often he has been sighted missing, or failed to live up to the hype. In more recent matches he has been replaced by Keirut, who seems to now be favoured by the management team.

Mark Kelman, 7: Kelman has been rewarded for some excellent MPL form with a call up to the Schottia national team for the Cup of Harmony. The midfielder has made the step up from Port James Athletic and proven he is up to the challenge. A fantastic creative passer of the ball, Kelman is also capable of stamping his authority on the game. The Scot is already proving a firm favourite with the fans and score his first goal in his sides last match in Buyan.

Sean O'Grady, 8: Probably the most famous person in Alizeria at the moment, O'Grady has had a great MPL campaign. Captain of the side, he has led by example, with some real exhibitions of leadership and teamwork. O'Grady is one of those players who is always in the thick of it and Jock Sonny will be desperate to keep a hold of the 31-year-old in the transfer window.

Cosmin Dobrescu, 9: We were largely disappointed with the Jedorian side at the Cornellian Cup. Despite being a decent sporting nation, they somehow managed to go home with no points. With players like Dobrescu in their ranks it's difficult to see how that could have even been possible. His innate dribbling ability, and keen eye for goal makes the 23-year-old a terrifying proposition for the opposition. The Eagle's equal top goal scorer so far, he has eight goals in nine games, from attacking midfield. Also charged with set-piece duties, Dobrescu has slammed in a few memorable goals this season.

Daniel Cleopas, 8: Another member of the Edomite national team, Cleopas has often been know as something of a showboater. However the striker has been a fantastic asset to Cornellians this season chipping in eight goals, and proving he has the work rate to go with his obvious skill and talent. Playing in the loan striker role, he has been a valuable player, no doubt catching the eye of a few of the other clubs.

The Subs:

Lucius Hirtius Carus, 6: The jury is still out on the young Roman midfielder. His talent is undeniable but until Carus gets more games under his belt it will be hard to make an assessment. What we have seen has been impressive and Sonny will surely want to keep a hold of this guy. There is no telling how much he could improve in the future.

Ismal Keirut, 7: Keirut has been knocking on the door of the first team, the 20-year old stepping in for Scott Copper who has been struggling. He has a lot of potential and already has a goal to his name this season.

Dahrla Bhosz, 7: The Deadoran internationalist has had to settle for a place on the bench, but has featured in all but one of the games so far. She has been there when called upon, scoring two goals and setting up another. Bhosz will be hoping that when she gets her chance of a start she is able to make it count.

Cup of Harmony
Schottia's Cup of Harmony preparations took a knock earlier today as withdrawals from two players, Till Ümann, and more crucially Jack Gordon were confirmed by the management team. Gordon, who is first choice right-back will be a huge miss, as he has been a regular fixture in side for several years now. The versatile defender is believed to be suffering from the flu, and has been sent home in order to minimise the risk to the rest of the squad. Ümann, by contrast, pulled up in training yesterday with what has been confirmed as a thigh strain.

This will come as a huge blow to Barry Gorman who already faced un uphill struggle to qualify, with both Turori and Neu Engollon most peoples favourites to finish first and second respectively from Group C. Realistically Schottia, barring any slipups, will be fighting it out with Ceni for third place. In what looks like becoming an extremely competitive Cup of Harmony, the Schottic team will need to have a fully fit squad to stand any chance of progression.

To those ends Gorman has announced the call-up of Marionville right-back Larry Watt 21, and Lammerton midfielder Kris Scott 26, both of whom join up with the national squad for the first time. Both have been on good form for their clubs this season, and Watt was another member of the successful U-21 team who reached the last 16 in the Di Bradini Cup. Without any more injuries it is unlikely that either will feature, however both will provide cover and give the management team another option.

Although Ümann was a valuable member of the squad, with caps and goals to his name, he will not be missed in the same way as Gordon who was a cert to start at right-back. That position will probably now be filled by Holin winger Chris Jack, who is able to play anywhere down the right flank. Ümann's withdrawal will perhaps pave the way for two other first timers Mark Kelman and Kim Coultan to get their first taste of national team action.

Despite the task facing Schottia, there has been a real feeling of optimism in the team. Finishing third in their qualification group despite being fifth seeds will give them some hope that they can again punch above their weight and take a few scalps in the process.

SPL
In the SPL Port Sebastian seem to have finally gotten over their post Corsie blip. The reigning champions, who have slumped to as low as 9th are back into the top four with three impressive wins back to back. Ko-oren star Emeline Millet seems to have made a difference, the world cup star has three goals in three games since joining the club in a 12 million deal. Port Sebastian were too good for Oakpark Celtic this week, with goals from Fred Dawson, Paul Coine, Millet and Joey Bia, overpowering the Ossies, who went down 4-2

New Belfast Warriors remain top however, and the club have been on impressive form. A 5-1 win over D'Itille the latest in a long list of good results. Ivan Archic took his tally for the season to 17, as the Nekulturnyan, scoring two goals, showed why his services are in high demand. Craig O'Maramy, Callum Frir and Willie Erskin were also on target for the Warriors

Else where this week Handon United slipped up in their title push, drawing 0-0 with Lammerton, and Soessch move equal on points with them in third. Goals from Bruno Schwartz and Polar Islander Konstantin Holstad enough to see of Lammerton City; Die Rote Teufel maintaining their own challenge with a 2-1 win at home.

Hollin (Hollin) 1–2 Handon United (Handon United)
King's Park (King's Park) 1–3 FC Soessch (FC Soessch)
La Gorlions (La Gorlions) 1–0 Dölar (Dölar)
Lammerton (Lammerton ) 2–1 Dundee (Dundee)
Lammerton City (Lammerton City) 1–3 D'Itille (D'Itille)
Marionville (Marionville) 2–0 Allous VB (Allous VB)
New Belfast Blues (New Belfast Blues) 0–0 Port James Athletic (Port James Athletic)
New Belfast Warriors (New Belfast Warriors) 1–1 Oakpark Celtic (Oakpark Celtic)
New Island (New Island) 1–0 Newtown Thistle (Newtown Thistle)

Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
1 New Belfast Warriors 13 10 2 1 24 9 +15 32
2 Handon United 13 8 4 1 19 6 +13 28
3 Port James Athletic 13 8 3 2 27 17 +10 27
4 King's Park 13 8 2 3 29 20 +9 26
5 La Gorlions 13 8 2 3 23 14 +9 26
6 FC Soessch 13 7 3 3 21 13 +8 24
7 Lammerton 13 7 3 3 14 11 +3 24
8 Marionville 13 7 2 4 23 19 +4 23
9 Port Sebastian 13 6 4 3 19 12 +7 22
10 Hillstreet 13 6 4 3 17 15 +2 22
11 Hollin 13 6 0 7 17 18 −1 18
12 New Belfast Blues 13 4 4 5 10 7 +3 16
13 Allous VB 13 4 3 6 14 22 −8 15
14 Dundee 13 3 5 5 18 21 −3 14
15 D'Itille 13 4 1 8 15 21 −6 13
16 New Island 13 2 4 7 7 14 −7 10
17 Lammerton City 13 3 1 9 26 39 −13 10
18 Oakpark Celtic 13 1 4 8 11 21 −10 7
19 Dölar 13 1 2 10 2 15 −13 5
20 Newtown Thistle 13 0 1 12 9 31 −22 1

Port Sebastian (Port Sebastian) 4–3 Newtown Thistle (Newtown Thistle)
Oakpark Celtic (Oakpark Celtic) 0–1 New Island (New Island)
Port James Athletic (Port James Athletic) 1–2 New Belfast Warriors (New Belfast Warriors)
Allous VB (Allous VB) 1–1 New Belfast Blues (New Belfast Blues)
D'Itille (D'Itille) 1–2 Marionville (Marionville)
Dundee (Dundee) 1–2 Lammerton City (Lammerton City)
Dölar (Dölar) 0–1 Lammerton (Lammerton )
FC Soessch (FC Soessch) 2–1 La Gorlions (La Gorlions)
Handon United (Handon United) 1–1 King's Park (King's Park)
Hillstreet (Hillstreet) 1–1 Hollin (Hollin)

Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
1 New Belfast Warriors 14 11 2 1 26 10 +16 35
2 Handon United 14 8 5 1 20 7 +13 29
3 King's Park 14 8 3 3 30 21 +9 27
4 Port James Athletic 14 8 3 3 28 19 +9 27
5 FC Soessch 14 8 3 3 23 14 +9 27
6 Lammerton 14 8 3 3 15 11 +4 27
7 La Gorlions 14 8 2 4 24 16 +8 26
8 Marionville 14 8 2 4 25 20 +5 26
9 Port Sebastian 14 7 4 3 23 15 +8 25
10 Hillstreet 14 6 5 3 18 16 +2 23
11 Hollin 14 6 1 7 18 19 −1 19
12 New Belfast Blues 14 4 5 5 11 8 +3 17
13 Allous VB 14 4 4 6 15 23 −8 16
14 Dundee 14 3 5 6 19 23 −4 14
15 New Island 14 3 4 7 8 14 −6 13
16 D'Itille 14 4 1 9 16 23 −7 13
17 Lammerton City 14 4 1 9 28 40 −12 13
18 Oakpark Celtic 14 1 4 9 11 22 −11 7
19 Dölar 14 1 2 11 2 16 −14 5
20 Newtown Thistle 14 0 1 13 12 35 −23 1

Hollin (Hollin) 1–4 Port Sebastian (Port Sebastian)
King's Park (King's Park) 1–3 Hillstreet (Hillstreet)
La Gorlions (La Gorlions) 0–4 Handon United (Handon United)
Lammerton (Lammerton ) 1–3 FC Soessch (FC Soessch)
Lammerton City (Lammerton City) 1–0 Dölar (Dölar)
Marionville (Marionville) 0–0 Dundee (Dundee)
New Belfast Blues (New Belfast Blues) 0–1 D'Itille (D'Itille)
New Belfast Warriors (New Belfast Warriors) 2–2 Allous VB (Allous VB)
New Island (New Island) 1–0 Port James Athletic (Port James Athletic)
Newtown Thistle (Newtown Thistle) 0–3 Oakpark Celtic (Oakpark Celtic)

Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
1 New Belfast Warriors 15 11 3 1 28 12 +16 36
2 Handon United 15 9 5 1 24 7 +17 32
3 FC Soessch 15 9 3 3 26 15 +11 30
4 Port Sebastian 15 8 4 3 27 16 +11 28
5 Port James Athletic 15 8 3 4 28 20 +8 27
6 King's Park 15 8 3 4 31 24 +7 27
7 Marionville 15 8 3 4 25 20 +5 27
8 Lammerton 15 8 3 4 16 14 +2 27
9 La Gorlions 15 8 2 5 24 20 +4 26
10 Hillstreet 15 7 5 3 21 17 +4 26
11 Hollin 15 6 1 8 19 23 −4 19
12 New Belfast Blues 15 4 5 6 11 9 +2 17
13 Allous VB 15 4 5 6 17 25 −8 17
14 New Island 15 4 4 7 9 14 −5 16
15 D'Itille 15 5 1 9 17 23 −6 16
16 Lammerton City 15 5 1 9 29 40 −11 16
17 Dundee 15 3 6 6 19 23 −4 15
18 Oakpark Celtic 15 2 4 9 14 22 −8 10
19 Dölar 15 1 2 12 2 17 −15 5
20 Newtown Thistle 15 0 1 14 12 38 −26 1

Port Sebastian 4–2 Oakpark Celtic
Port James Athletic 1–0 Newtown Thistle
Allous VB 2–0 New Island
D'Itille 1–5 New Belfast Warriors
Dundee 0–3 New Belfast Blues
Dölar 1–4 Marionville
FC Soessch 2–1 Lammerton City
Handon United 0–0 Lammerton
Hillstreet 0–1 La Gorlions
Hollin 2–1 King's Park

Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
1 New Belfast Warriors 16 12 3 1 33 13 +20 39
2 Handon United 16 9 6 1 24 7 +17 33
3 FC Soessch 16 10 3 3 28 16 +12 33
4 Port Sebastian 16 9 4 3 31 18 +13 31
5 Port James Athletic 16 9 3 4 29 20 +9 30
6 Marionville 16 9 3 4 29 21 +8 30
7 La Gorlions 16 9 2 5 25 20 +5 29
8 Lammerton 16 8 4 4 16 14 +2 28
9 King's Park 16 8 3 5 32 26 +6 27
10 Hillstreet 16 7 5 4 21 18 +3 26
11 Hollin 16 7 1 8 21 24 −3 22
12 New Belfast Blues 16 5 5 6 14 9 +5 20
13 Allous VB 16 5 5 6 19 25 −6 20
14 New Island 16 4 4 8 9 16 −7 16
15 D'Itille 16 5 1 10 18 28 −10 16
16 Lammerton City 16 5 1 10 30 42 −12 16
17 Dundee 16 3 6 7 19 26 −7 15
18 Oakpark Celtic 16 2 4 10 16 26 −10 10
19 Dölar 16 1 2 13 3 21 −18 5
20 Newtown Thistle 16 0 1 15 12 39 −27 1

Nalaya
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nalaya » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:17 pm

Nalayan Federated News

Editorials: Nalaya at the Tipping Point
Srh. Haverj Assayan
Political Columnist

SEVAN, Nalaya - Earlier this morning, the representatives of the L'i'dol faith present in Sevan withdrew from talks designed to alleviate the extremely high tensions between Nalaya's religions. This comes on the heels of a sudden reorganization of military force that left the Dominion with a whole new division of troops at Antākiyyaḧ and the arrest of former warlord Qasim bin Abd al Maajid. No matter what your political position, one thing is becoming apparent: Vaneni's Nalaya is not today's Nalaya. That of course begs the question: what are we now? Who are we going to be?

Let's begin with the talks. Since the bombing that killed many of the country's most prominent religious moderates at a good will conference, Nalaya has been—charitably—about two inches to the right of all-out religious war. The main contention is the tradition known as faer, a bastardization of L'i'dol traditions that's more akin to black magic than an actual faith outlawed in 2010 when the practices first came before an official court. The short story is that the faithful on one side want it eradicated, while the Nava'ai tribal leaders refuse to agree to cooperate with any Mak'ur investigation into the matter. "While the practice is a detestable one, we see no reason to allow religious zealots an excuse to go on witch-hunts among an ethnic group they traditionally warred with," one Nava'ai leader, preferring to remain unnamed, explained. This is a critical issue to the faiths in the Highland and Homeland regions of Nalaya that has gone unresolved for months, and finally it seems the camel's back has broken. The spokesman for the L'i'dol faith, Revered Mourn Chaulssin, expressed his frustration as part of his formal declaration that their party would be withdrawing from the talks: "We have done our utmost to act in good faith throughout the course of these talks. However, a man who extends his hand can only be rebuffed so many times before he refuses to hold it out again. A sick perversion of our sacred rites and texts is being allowed to run rampant in the Highlands, doing harm to everything it touches. No reconciliation can begin while this abomination is permitted to endure." The withdrawal of the L'i'dol delegation has brought the talks to a screeching halt and amped up tension on the Highland/Homeland border near Siunik.

And reconciliation brings us to the problem with the Vatani. The problems between the Deadoran Kehrahnii and the Vatani go back centuries. Since the Protector took office and initiated talks with the Matriarch Empress, Jennifer Thrall, tension on the border had been on the decline. Enter Dengali, where Deadora has advanced onto neighboring soil in pursuit of a terrorist. Picture if you will the reaction of the Vatani—not that you need to imagine it, as they've been quite vocal in their insistence that this is only the beginning. No one was more vocal than Qasim bin Abd al Maajid, who has been struggling to de-fang the Tigress since the day she stepped back into power. Old habits die hard, after all. Arrested on charges of aiding a terrorist organization, Nalaya's own Vshtali, Qasim is currently languishing in federal prison awaiting trial. His imprisonment does have some side benefits: it warmed relations between the Avangardn and Dyvynasshar as well as throwing the hierarchy of the Vatani extremist sects out for Kehrahnii blood into disarray. A good move politically, but morally? Then again, maybe it only surprises us because we still expect idealism from the Avangardn.

This is the rub of it: Nalaya is standing at a crossroads. For a little while, we had the best of both worlds. Our country was unified and free for the first time. Those were our first steps, but now we are standing at the point where we have to decide who we want to be. If we don't sacrifice our old grudges and religious schisms for the sake of unity, we're going to lose this singular nation we've managed to somehow create. Nalaya is reaching the point where it can't continue at odds with itself. Something is about to give, unless we beat those old swords into plowshares. If we don't, we'll be paying the piper with our freedom. A woman like the Tigress of Yeraskh isn't going to let a nation fall apart without a fight, and an iron fist squeezing does a lot of damage. We can't expect things as delicate civil liberties to survive another war.

We were told that we could be the angels of our better nature by Anahid Vaneni. Ten years later, as 2014 draws to a close, and we are the same spiteful, vicious, vengeful creatures that we've always been. So while the rest of the world recovers from its holiday binge, let us look in the mirror at our own selves. How are we going to chart our course forward into the future? Our time with Anahid Vaneni was a dream. Our time before that was a nightmare. Now maybe we need something in between.
Do you know, my son, with what little understanding the world is ruled?
- Pope Julius III

Alizeria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Alizeria » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:29 am

2014 IN REVIEW:
A YEAR OF CHANGE AND TRANSFORMATION

December 31st 2014
ImageImageImageImage

2014 was undoubtedly a year that will go down in history as having brought about bigger changes to Alizeria than any year previously. The Alizeria Daily Herald looks back on some of the biggest newsmakers and events that shaped the year.

One theme that has been constant in 2014 was that of change and transformation.

It's been a year of epic highs and terrible lows. We've seen our first change of government since the end of the 20th century, the biggest economic reforms since the 1930s, the arrival of Alizeria's first ever billionaires and the worst poverty and deprivation in 70 years. As a nation we've been forced to confront our own prejudices, as riots broke out over the legalisation of homosexuality. And we've been forced to confront the world, with the country bravely venturing out of its shell and admitting that we are world citizens.

Technology has changed the way we communicate, while the arrival of thousands of new immigrants has forced us to rethink how we communicate. The tragic murder of Ewen Sheppard in Norskeberg made us question whether or not Alizeria really is the land of peace and safety we believe it to be, while record numbers of unemployed made us question whether Alizeria's prosperity is really assured.

But it's not all been bad news. This is the year that Alizeria's isolation from the world ended, when our technology caught up with the rest of the world and of course it's the year that Pink Fluid released a new album against everyone's expectations, breaking records and breaking the heart of a certain 13 year old pop singer...

Notable Events of 2014:

January: The 59th Parliament of Alizeria is dissolved. Polls indicate that Anthony Ashton has overtaken Sir Edward Vermile as the country's "Preferred Prime Minister" while the Liberals enjoy a 4 point lead over the Conservatives.

February: Nurses strike lasts for a week, as nurses demand better pay. Major strain on public hospitals causes delays and is blamed for several deaths. Strike causes Conservative Party to lose more ground to Liberals.

March:
Anthony Ashton leads the Liberal Party to a landslide victory in the General Election, ending 15 years of Conservative rule and bringing down Alizeria's longest serving Prime Minister.

April: Reserve Bank confirms Alizeria officially in recession. 60th Parliament opened, government immediately devalues the currency and ends restrictions on foreign investment. Implements temporary price and wage freeze to control inflation.

May: Alizeria joins the World Assembly, Cornellian Peace Organisation and Belisarian League in the biggest change of foreign policy since 1912. Small numbers of Alizerian troops deployed to central Acheron on peacekeeping mission. Alizeria signs FTA with New Edom.

June: Deregulation of the financial market sees the formation of the Royal Alizerian Stock Exchange (ARSE). Foreign investment floods into Alizeria. Telefone and Exodus Energy privatised. Alizeria does terribly in the Cornellian Cup after the team boards the wrong plane and ends up in the Shrailleeni Empire, instead of Schottia.

July: Reports show Alizeria has fastest growing rich-poor divide in Cornellia. Environment Minister Cassandra Hall embroiled in scandal after revelations that she may have used her influence to benefit a mining company owned by her husband. Hall is reprimanded but remains in Cabinet. Legislation passes that effectively abolishes tariffs.

August: Jim Humphries succeeds Sir Edward Vermile as leader of the Conservative Party, the first successful coup after many such attempts since the election. Government loosens immigration restrictions. Construction of "Big Dick" in Krostuk completed.

September: Chancellor of the Exchequer Donald Douglas announces 'largest tax cut in Alizerian history' with controversial new budget. "Ashtonomics" enters the national lexicon as economic reforms get underway.

October: Nation in shock after murder of Ewen Sheppard in Norskeberg - the first murder in Alizeria in over 10 years. Government bans nuclear weapons from Alizeria and Alizerian waters.

November:
Riots break out across the country as Parliament deliberates over legalisation of homosexuality. Bill narrowly passed after former Prime Minister Sir Edward Vermile crosses the floor and votes in favour, against all expectations.

December: By-election in Hammond won by Conservatives after Sir Edward Vermile elevated to House of Nobles. Anthony Ashton announces "the Ashton Plan" in an attempt to bring peace to Nekulturnya. Alizeria hosts the Everton Convention - the largest gathering of heads of state and heads of government in Cornellia in recent history.

The Best of 2014:

Sportsperson of the Year:
Sean O'Grady

While Alizeria's campaign in the Cornellian Cup was a disaster - though this was not the fault of the team - Sean O'Grady has gone on to prove that he is one of the finest football players Alizeria has ever produced. As captain of the Cornellians Football Club in Schottia, he has shown himself to be among the best players not just in Schottia's excellent football league, but also one of the best internationals.

Artist of the Year:
Pink Fluid

Fans of Kinga can cry me a river, because 2014 was the year that Pink Fluid reminded us why they are the most successful music act Alizeria has ever produced. With one band member missing, one dead, two living in retirement homes and the relationship between the frontman and lead guitarist notriously strained, Pink Fluid still managed to release the best-selling album and single of the year against all odds and everyone's expectations.

Politician of the Year:
Anthony Ashton

There was no question that the Prime Minister would win ADH's Politician of the Year Award. He's not hugely charismatic, he isn't exciting or sexy or even hugely controversial apart from his policies. And yet this smooth political operator has ended the reign of Alizeria's longest serving Prime Minister, led the Liberal Party to their biggest ever victory and despite introducing some of the most unpopular policies Alizerians have ever faced, has completely defied political gravity by staying ahead in the polls. In the space of 9 months he has turned Alizerian society upside down and yet so far seems to be more popular than ever - and for that, he is the politician of the year.

Person of the Year:
Perrin Pahath-Moab

His rise to the top was sudden and meteoric, and yet 2014 was the year that Perrin Pahath-Moab demonstrated that he was undoubtedly the most powerful man in Cornellia. He has kept stability in his often war-torn home country, and despite occasionally toeing the line has mostly been a force that has brought about peace and stability in the long run, rather than wars of adventure or the instigation of conflicts. He was controversially announced as the winner of the 2014 Cornellian Peace Prize and despite his prestige has honoured Alizeria by visiting the country not once, not twice but three times this year.

- ADH

In Other News:

• Socialists on track to win Schottia General Election
  • Everton Convention "almost as important as Sheep Safety Week"
  • Foreign Secretary hopes for better relationship with Deadora and Shrailleeni Empire despite snub from Feminazi nations at Everton Convention

Last edited by Alizeria on Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ruvelka
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 23, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ruvelka » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:53 am

Ruvelka National Standard
2015 State of the Principality Address
Debrecen, Debrecen District

Very early this morning on 1 January 2015, Captain-General Szekeres took the stand to start off the first Generals' Council Session of the new year. As is traditionally performed by all Captain-Generals, Szekeres was obligated to begin with her 2015 State of the Principality Address:

Fellow Generals, Respected Technocrats, and Citizens of the Principality:

Our nation has seen better days. While the trials and tribulations that stand before us are of little difficulty in light of those our ancestors faced many decades ago, it is now our time to prove that we are truly the hardened people of Ruvelka.

Mother Winter's cold bite these past several years has begun to reflect in our reduced crop yield -- the lowest numbers since the food crisis under Captain-General Janokovics in 1981. The simple truth is that our crops cannot keep up with the demand of our fast-growing population.We have managed to survive the last half decade on behalf of trade relations created by my predecessor and other nations in our region have been kind enough to supplement our dwindling supply. I appeal today to the members of our respected Technocrat Association to double your efforts in finding a solution.

The Angel Virus, a pandemic that claimed so many of our young children in the early 1960s, has unfortunately begun to make a resurgence. Several hundred young Ruvelkans lost their lives this passed year despite our best efforts and it is clear to me that we are not technologically equipped to address this issue on our own. While I begin efforts to seek help from outside the nation, it is our personal mission to ensure that the virus does not escape passed our borders.

Among all the negative, there is the light of progress. Natural gas production has reached a level that allows us to be nearly self-sustaining and the imminent completion of the Debrecen Solar Plant will help to spur the nation towards more forms of renewable energy.

Legislation passed by General Molnar during her tenure has begun to increasingly show as the economic gap between members of the Civilian Populace and Military Elite has begun to close. A vision of equality is slowly becoming a reality, helping families who help to build Ruvelka from the inside make ends meet.

Hardship and progress loom on the horizon of our great nation. It is our responsibility to move forward and I ask that you -- the People of the Principality -- trust and follow me into the darkness ahead.

For -- at the end of the tunnel -- there will be light. We stand at the precipice of a better Ruvelka for tomorrow.
Last edited by Ruvelka on Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gylias
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 19, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gylias » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:25 pm

Animenia

News, views, and musings about animation

First look: The March Club
Posted by Gabriel Ludvigsen
1 January 2015, 1:45 PM, 0 comments

New Year's Day: an occasion for celebration. Reflection. Being with loved ones. Listening to "New Year". And... debuting new series? Yes, hidden away amidst the reverie, if anyone was lucky enough to catch it first, GTV4 broadcast the first episode of The March Club, an hour past midnight. They were kind enough to repeat it at 11, when more people were likely to be awake, yours truly included. No idea why they couldn't have just done it at 11 from the start... perhaps The March Club politely requested bragging rights? In that case, congratulations, The March Club, for being the first new anime of 2015. *applause*

The series comes to us as the latest offering from Seamoon, a studio with an adequate reputation that's long transcended its up-and-coming period but, for various reasons, hasn't been able to muster a breakthrough that would propel them higher the way Antenna, for example, managed with L'Espérance. Still, they deserve all the praise for continuing to do their thing reliably, and admirably refusing to try and rehash Sensational Momoko!, the co-production that is for all intents and purposes their most famous creation. Judging from the pilot episode of The March Club, this is not going to be a show that sets anything on fire (no psi powers anywhere in sight), but it's a welcome new dish of the usual Seamoon ingredients of nice characters, modest storytelling, and chuckles and WAFF every now and then.

The premise is so simple it's basically summarised right in the title: friends form a marching band club. Now, I don't know about you, but I wasn't even aware those were a thing. Luckily, the pilot does a marvelous job of establishing the premise with economical writing, and benefits from the strongly detailed setting which produces a feeling of familiarity, like you're almost watching this happen right next door. I would like to make the quibble, however, that Andral might not quite be the best choice of setting for such a story. I feel like a rural setting would have benefited the series, by further reinforcing the theme of "ordinary people who take up a brand new hobby".

It's only a minor quibble, at any rate, since the rest of the episode is pleasant and well-crafted. Our leads are appropriately charming and have the convincingly breezy chemistry of people who have been friends since childhood. The repartee is sparkling, though it only manages a few moments that are truly memorable. And by the end, I wanted to see the characters succeed, and how they do so.

Which is, come to think of it, the most appropriate compliment I can pay The March Club: it's a series that sets itself a modest goal and then goes that extra step in achieving it. It's not a great loss if you miss out on it, but if you watch it, you will leave an episode having felt at least a little better than at the start.

Azurlavai
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Azurlavai » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:37 pm

"Okay, enough of that shit. We interrupt your regularly blah blah blah. I'm pretty sure you guys want something aside from half-assed corporate advertising, propaganda and news that probably isn't telling you everything. C'mon, how long have you been hearing that? And the same music over and over and over again...boring.

Okay, so how do we start this? Right, here I go. Karin Johnstonne, Radio Free Azurlavai. You should marvel in my technical brilliance, I can hijack any station in Belisarius. Yeah, I'm that good. And, to be honest, there's not much stopping me lately.

Everyone in the world is somewhat familiar with the war, right? I know plenty of people look at us and think we're filled with terrorists, marauders, pirates and mercenaries. But you're wrong. Yeah, we've got our share of scumbags...but mostly, this country has just got people trying to survive the chaos. The governments aren't in control anymore...its all gone to shit. Oh yeah...almost forgot.

So...is anyone curious about why exactly we've been so quiet? Ever since the fall of Lowell City and the events in Tritonsberg, we seem to have gone silent, right? Everything's good, right?

Wrong.

This is what happens when you execute a fully mechanized war acting like you have stable supply lines and resevoirs. One day, everything is fine and you've got tanks charging into battle. The next, you're hoofing it cause the fuel's dried up. That's right, folks. It's a supply issue. Oil, parts, ammo, food, medicine. Take your pick, its not getting to the front. There's no Azurlav planes overhead because they've all been sitting in airfields. There's no more tank charges because they're running out of sprockets and replacement tracks and gears. Fuel is practically gone, guzzled away until all three sides looked into the gas tank and realized, 'holy shit!' how little there was left. Why?

Because NWT, the sole provider of oil on domestic soil, fucked us. Just one day, out of nowhere, the oil rig is down. And since we have almost no overland oil pumps...you can guess the rest. There's almost no one in the factories, either. Can't produce tanks or guns if you don't have anyone in there. And that food most people down here eat? Yeah, it came from somewhere in the CPO, most definitely not here. Most people have little gardens going, and its guaranteed that when harvest season comes around, those farmers will defend their crops with shotguns before letting it go anywhere. Water's almost the same. There's barely any treatment plants running. Can't do that without power, and our power stations are going, going, gone. A little difficult to get coal from the mines that the convicts are working in...when you have no roads or trucks.

And the soldiers? Please, the fighting has ground to a stalemate on all sides. Why? Take your pick. Fuel, food, ammo, medicine. Money's worth nothing down here, all the banks closed up shop and took off for parts unknown, and no government has any credit left in their stocks. That's right, none of the three factions fighting for this wasteland have any gold left. So why fight? Basically, soldiers are getting fed. While the CPO provides for the civilians, what little we ourselves can make and what can get chipped off the aide shipments goes to the front. Its just enough, which is more than the rationing for civilians is lately. Trench warfare has set in, people. No one is going anywhere except on foot or horse.

The war's over, people. There's no patriotism left down here. No cause to stand by, no foe to protect against. We were so fragile, so determined to hold onto our past glory and rebuild it, we didn't realize how easy it would be to bring us down. Azurlav's are tough, right? Well, no matter how tough you are, you have to eat. And drink. And protect yourself from the cold. There's more people killing each other over food and water then there are in uniforms by now. So for now, we find food, try to keep warm and look for a place where maybe you won't get shot. All while three armies play at war. Ever wonder where the Lost Legion suddenly went? Big surprise. They won. Didn't even have to -do- anything, we did it to our own fucking selves. Ordered government is gone, and no one has the ability to come back from it. The factories are gone, the ships have stopped sailing. Newspapers have stopped publishing. Hell, I think I might be one of the few radio stations actually broadcasting right now. That's why I haven't been shut down yet. Cause the government can't do it. They don't have the ability.

We had someone doing this, some time ago. Friermann. He jumped ship because he thought the Commonwealth would destroy us by accidentally mishandling their atomic weapons. In a way, he was right. Lucky bastard's probably in Edom right now, living a normal life. With power. And running water. And food he can buy with actual money, all without worrying about getting shot.

But down here, don't pay attention to the flags. The CPO aide camps are the only authority left. They help ten times as many people as the governments can reach. Even the Dominion, the so-called most prosperous, is feeling the squeeze. Serves them right for being isolationist bastards. Look at how far they've gone since they took Dhuria...nowhere.

So yeah. If you see a CPO convoy, camp or security force, get your ass over there, people. Because what little they have to give you is a lot better than having everything taken away out in the Wastes. Thanks for listening, Belisarius. And I hope you haven't just shut me out. Catch me again later, while I hunt down some more info for a story. Maybe I'll go check out the Adiran camp. I hear they're doing good things. So are the Shrais and the Shalumites, too...come to think of it, maybe I'll relocate to one of those entirely. Whatever. This is Karin Johnstonne, Radio Free Azurlavai. Catch you on the flip side, world. Signing off."
*No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy.
*If your positions are firmly set and you are prepared to take the enemy assault on, he will bypass you.
*If your ambush is properly set, the enemy won't walk into it.
*If your flank march is going well, the enemy expects you to outflank him.
~Murphy's Laws of War

Gylias
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 19, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gylias » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:49 pm

GNBS News

Home | Gylias | World | Economy | Health | Education | Science/Technology | Environment | Arts/Culture/Entertainment | Sports | Video

Rememberance Day: memorial events held
2 January 2015 Last updated 6:28 PM

Ceremonies remembering the war dead took place today across Gylias, marking the 57th anniversary of the end of the Liberation War.

Much of Gylias came to a near-standstill in the early morning hours, with shops, offices and public transport being temporarily closed at 6:05 AM. Crowds then looked towards the sunrise and observed a two-minute silence, commemorating the end of the war. Those in attendance in Velouria looked towards the red flag of what was formerly the Imperial Palace.

Throughout the day, crowds from all walks of life congregated at war memorials and public squares to lay wreaths in commemoration of all who died and suffered from the destruction of war. Many carried portraits of family members and loved ones who were killed in the conflict.

The solemn ceremonies were attended by veterans, Self-Defense Forces members, members of the cabinet and students. The Self-Defense Forces members performed a gun salute after the names of the dead were read aloud.

President Laura Varnath and Prime Minister Toni Vallas addressed the public on the occasion, leading the memorial service in Mishawaka. Their remarks focused on the importance of remembering the tragedy of war, and preventing such a conflict from coming to pass again.

"The best memorial we can offer those who died and endured the destruction, is to ensure that they have not died in vain.", the Prime Minister stated. "The anguish they have endured, must be honoured through protection of life in the future from the possibility of a new war. From the ashes of war, a kinder, fairer world must be constructed, where we can all enjoy the blessings of peace."

Among the guests of honour attending the memorials were Mizuyukian ambassador Kira Egashira, Cacertian ambassador Amelia Eugenia Cavallo, former cabinet members Benedita Mendonça Ferreira, Rin Tōsaka, Sakura Tōsaka, Eoni Nalion and Akane Tsunemori, and other dignitaries domestic and international.

New Othman
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 11, 2005
Ex-Nation

Social Services, Public Works Improved.

Postby New Othman » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:59 am

New Ankara Journal,
Karaman Selcuk

Yesterday, the New Year witnessed two new laws passed Friday afternoon with remarkable speed and ease. The first law expanded the social services safety net to provide extra benefits to demobilized veterans, to widows of soldiers killed in action, to unemployed civilian contractors who lost jobs due to the Treaty's restrictions, etc. The second law required further infrastructure growth and improvements to repair and increase the national infrastructure, from highways, to the power grid, to other critical areas that were damaged during the 2013 Civil War and the later Saint-Severin War (called the Othmani War, oddly enough, by our recent foes).

That there was such damage from the Civil War and instead of fixing that, the Selim Targan regime opted to invade three neighbors clearly showed warped priorities on the part of the former President and his late Premier, Tansu Galak. For now, however, there was no strong push for rearmament in the Grand National Assembly. Instead, there was a move toward legislation to improve the public works and social services of the nation. This is the kind of reform that we needed sooner, but now we are getting it at last. Perhaps there is hope for optimism at last, between this and other recent laws that improve domestic matters due to the Peace Dividend.

We just have to keep up the good work and strengthen our new democracy with peace and prosperity for all Othmanis and their neighbors. There is cause for hope that this will happen after all, after so many setbacks in the past. The coalition government has bought itself time to secure a better future. It should not return to its old bad habits of lethargy and leave itself vulnerable to its opposition.
"It is high time for ballots, and not bullets. For bread and butter, not tanks treading on foreign streets. For reform, for schools, for more police on the beat, instead of building up a massive war machine used only to bully our neighbors. The only armed forces that the new New Othman needs are those which defend the nation itself from aggression. We don't need the trillions that we used to spend for that." - Udan Varcar

"Radical feminism in the west is less about womens liberation (and that's fair - women in the west have been largely liberated after all), and more about authoritarian thought policing." - Hirota

"The function of our social services is to discourage sedition." - Premier Bayazid Izmirek, 2005

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents