NATION

PASSWORD

Suggestion: Folders for Sent telegrams

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
HMS Unicorn
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 29, 2005
Ex-Nation

Suggestion: Folders for Sent telegrams

Postby HMS Unicorn » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:36 am

Would it be possible to add a folder system for sent telegrams?

I have a few telegram templates that I reuse over periods of several months. Given my nations' volume of outgoing telegrams, this means that every time I need to send another copy of a template, I have to go back several dozens of pages in my Sent folder to look up the template code. Even if I click the "Show Mass Telegrams" option, I still have to search through a couple dozen pages, given that many responses to mass telegrams are also classified as "mass telegrams" (see related bug report here).

It would be very helpful if I could create folders where I would put these templates in for easy future look up. I imagine that folders would be useful for many other users, even if not for the same reasons.

If a full folder system is not technically feasible or easy to implement, then some options for outgoing telegram management would still be very useful. For example, there could be an option to assign "tags" to telegrams in the Sent folder (though I imagine that this is technically almost equivalent to having folders). A less flexible but still very useful and likely easier to implement alternative would be to be able to "pin" certain Sent telegrams, for easy future re-use.
Last edited by HMS Unicorn on Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

Founded: Mar 31, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:37 pm

This would be very helpful <_<
To Serve and Protect: UDL

Eluvatar - Taijitu member

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:18 pm

First off, agreed.

Second, since this is *mostly* an issue with various tag:whatever telegrams, perhaps even just a separate box for those in general? Tag:template ones obviously, but for things like tag:API telegrams as well it can be a pain to go back and find the codes/delivery reports.

(granted, searching just mass telegrams makes this much less difficult, but with regular group telegrams and responses to mass telegrams included, it can still be a needle in a haystack.)
Last edited by Ever-Wandering Souls on Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:08 pm

Search would be a solution, right? That's probably the thing that would deliver the widest benefits: being able to search your TGs.

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:23 pm

If a search for "tag" brings up all TG's directed there, yes :P

Would the search include both the content and the recipient?
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:19 pm

[violet] wrote:Search would be a solution, right? That's probably the thing that would deliver the widest benefits: being able to search your TGs.

Maybe. One of the issues is when you have a few of the same telegram going out - i.e. one stamped, one API, one to these feeders, one to those sinkers, etc. So you're trying to find your delivery reports, for example, for a given telegram, and trying to remember how long ago you sent out the telegram in question can mean sorting through what's (right now) 60 pages of sent telegrams. (even if I filter down to just Mass TGs, that's 11 pages, and most of those aren't even Mass TGs in any way, shape, or form ... but I'll document that in the Bug Thread already started on that one)
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

HMS Unicorn
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 29, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby HMS Unicorn » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:18 am

I'd like to bump this suggestion, though I understand that our admis are probably overwhelmed with the Rift beta right now.

A search function like what [violet] suggested would certainly be very useful. However, for the particular use scenario I describe in the OP, I would personally find folders or similar functionality (such as the telegram pinning idea I mentioned) more useful. This is mainly because I often use similarly formatted mass telegram templates, which search queries would likely confuse.

There is also a related bug report, though for now I'll only bump this thread.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:22 pm

Yes, thanks, worth the bump. I won't be able to get to this soon but I do want to look at it.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical