NATION

PASSWORD

Is War A Valid Option To Deal With Putin?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:54 pm

T Roosevelt wrote:
Occupied Deutschland wrote:Of course war is a valid option to deal with Putin.

Whether it is a good option is a much more salient point.

War is the best option to deal with Putin.

You wanna go into the meat-grinder first? Because I sure as hell aren't going.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:00 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:
Murkwood wrote:Yes, like we should have done in Georgia.

Georgia was the aggressor in that war, it invaded South Ossetia, and killed the joint-Georgian-Russian Peacekeepers.

Georgia was AN aggressor in that war. It invaded South Ossetia after Russian 'volunteers' (and Russian regulars, though that is (of course) challenged by Russia) funneled into South Ossetia after Russian air-force aircraft flew into Georgian airspace, after military exercises when Russian troops who trained alongside South Ossetians didn't return to their regular bases, after three+ months of mutual artillery and rifle-fire exchanges, punctuated by the bombing of a Georgian official, between South Ossetian and Georgian military and police (including Georgian peacekeepers being shelled by South Ossetian forces).

As Georgia had withdrawn their peacekeepers, they also didn't end up killing any 'joint Georgian-Russian' peacekeepers. Only Russians.
Last edited by Occupied Deutschland on Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:02 pm

Occupied Deutschland wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:Georgia was the aggressor in that war, it invaded South Ossetia, and killed the joint-Georgian-Russian Peacekeepers.

Georgia was AN aggressor in that war. It invaded South Ossetia after Russian 'volunteers' (and Russian regulars, though that is (of course) challenged by Russia) funneled into South Ossetia after three+ months of mutual artillery and rifle-fire exchanges, punctuated by the bombing of a Georgian official, between South Ossetian and Georgian military and police including Georgian peacekeepers being shelled by South Ossetian forces.

As Georgia had withdrawn their peacekeepers, they also didn't end up killing any 'joint Georgian-Russian' peacekeepers. Only Russians.

Ah, I had heard that Georgian peacekeepers were killed as well.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only

Greater Weselton
Senator

Founded: Aug 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Weselton » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:00 pm

Putin is a good man who is trying to save Europe.
I am not a Nazi in real life.
_[' ]_
(-_Q)
If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature!
Proud Member of theConfederation of Sovereign Nations

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:01 pm

Greater Weselton wrote:Putin is a good man who is trying to save Europe.

Not really. I mean, sure, I defend some of his actions, but I have no delusions as to his motives.
Last edited by United Marxist Nations on Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T Roosevelt
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby T Roosevelt » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:08 pm

T Roosevelt wrote:War is the best option to deal with Putin.

You wanna go into the meat-grinder first? Because I sure as hell aren't going.

I'll be in the first infantry squad line, I'll have no regrets. It's the duty of a man to defend his country and its honor and the minute he lets go of that responsibility, he regresses back to his boyhood. You must go.
Economic Left/Right: 4.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 9.08

Click here and be a Rough Rider.

[My ideal wife]

[JOIN THE GOP]

T Roosevelt
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby T Roosevelt » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:09 pm

Draakonite wrote:
T Roosevelt wrote:War is the best option to deal with Putin.

Best by what measure?

A war would cost much more than a bag of gold.

I don't care about how much we spend. This would be an incredible opportunity for the United States by any measure.

[My ideal wife]

[JOIN THE GOP]

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:11 pm

T Roosevelt wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:You wanna go into the meat-grinder first? Because I sure as hell aren't going.

I'll be in the first infantry squad line, I'll have no regrets. It's the duty of a man to defend his country and its honor and the minute he lets go of that responsibility, he regresses back to his boyhood. You must go.

But it wouldn't be to defend the country, it would be to engage in a war purely for the competing interest of the imperialist powers.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:12 pm

T Roosevelt wrote:
Draakonite wrote:
Best by what measure?

A war would cost much more than a bag of gold.

I don't care about how much we spend. This would be an incredible opportunity for the United States by any measure.

Opportunity to be killed and drenched in nuclear radiation, you mean?

Greater Weselton
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Weselton » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:14 pm

Greater Weselton wrote:Putin is a good man who is trying to save Europe.

Not really. I mean, sure, I defend some of his actions, but I have no delusions as to his motives.

I am surprised you agree with him at all.
I am not a Nazi in real life.
_[' ]_
(-_Q)
If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature!
Proud Member of theConfederation of Sovereign Nations

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:16 pm

Greater Weselton wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:Not really. I mean, sure, I defend some of his actions, but I have no delusions as to his motives.

I am surprised you agree with him at all.

I don't, I just find some of his actions useful.

T Roosevelt
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby T Roosevelt » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:21 pm

T Roosevelt wrote:I don't care about how much we spend. This would be an incredible opportunity for the United States by any measure.

Our SDI program can stop Putin's toys. The missile defense that the United States of America has is superior to anything the ruskies can dish out. A commie cossack like Putin with delusions of power will relent to our superior military force. Russia will not survive a total war with the United States.

[My ideal wife]

[JOIN THE GOP]

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:25 pm

T Roosevelt wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:Opportunity to be killed and drenched in nuclear radiation, you mean?

1) Our SDI program can stop Putin's toys. 2) The missile defense that the United States of America has is superior to anything the ruskies can dish out. A commie cossack like Putin with delusions of power will relent to our superior military force. 3) Russia will not survive a total war with the United States.

1) No evidence of that
2) You mean like the 1800 weapons they have? Dude, you wouldn't be able to stop all of them. Probably not even most of them.
3) Neither would the United States.

New Comfederate States of America
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Comfederate States of America » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:27 pm

NOOO!!!! No war with Russia! No more American lives endangered intervening in other countries affairs! Let Russia have Crimea and Ukraine, historically it's their territory anyway. No more US imperialism and global empire of military bases. If the EU wants to go to war with Putin let them, but the U.S. needs to keep out of foreign crisis that don't directly affect us. (I also support us leaving NATO and the UN to keep us out of other foreign wars).

Korva
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 22, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Korva » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:36 pm

New Comfederate States of America wrote:NOOO!!!! No war with Russia! No more American lives endangered intervening in other countries affairs! Let Russia have Crimea and Ukraine, historically it's their territory anyway. No more US imperialism and global empire of military bases. If the EU wants to go to war with Putin let them, but the U.S. needs to keep out of foreign crisis that don't directly affect us. (I also support us leaving NATO and the UN to keep us out of other foreign wars).

Totes, who needs American imperialism when you can have Russian imperialism. It's basically the same thing but with incompetence, less civil rights, rampant alcoholism, and population decline.

And damn NATO for getting you in all those wars, cause y'know, it has dragged America into so many...

T Roosevelt
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby T Roosevelt » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:36 pm

T Roosevelt wrote:1) Our SDI program can stop Putin's toys. 2) The missile defense that the United States of America has is superior to anything the ruskies can dish out. A commie cossack like Putin with delusions of power will relent to our superior military force. 3) Russia will not survive a total war with the United States.

1) No evidence of that
2) You mean like the 1800 weapons they have? Dude, you wouldn't be able to stop all of them. Probably not even most of them.
3) Neither would the United States.
I don't care if all 1800 weapons land and cover all native soil. Belief in my nation what I'm fighting for and that's a relentless battle. It's a fight that can't be stopped. The honor of belief in my nation, in my God, in my family is enough for me to accept the fate Mutually Assured Destruction. I have a belief in the way that things have to be and if things must end in those conditions, so be it. We will not surrender easily, I believe it, I will it. Not stopping all of their weapons is acceptable, the citizenry will work harder to defend their nation, anyone would if hearing ballad of bombs rattling the ground beneath their feet. This war is not about beating Russia, this total war will be about belief. I don't care about the numbers, I don't care about the expenses, we must get to the end game. Every nation must know that war with us is going to destroy them.
Last edited by T Roosevelt on Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[My ideal wife]

[JOIN THE GOP]

Rhyfelnydd
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhyfelnydd » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:39 pm

T Roosevelt wrote:I don't care about how much we spend. This would be an incredible opportunity for the United States by any measure.

Here here. A war between Russia and the US would be absolutely disastrous, with the looming possibility of nuclear conflict.
New Grestin wrote:Welcome to Nationstates Summer.

You can log out anytime you like, but you can never leave.
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.
Truman Bulldogs
ΦΣK
Cymraeg
l_Falch_l

Greater Istanistan
Senator

Founded: May 15, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Greater Istanistan » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:40 pm

T Roosevelt wrote:Our SDI program can stop Putin's toys. The missile defense that the United States of America has is superior to anything the ruskies can dish out. A commie cossack like Putin with delusions of power will relent to our superior military force. Russia will not survive a total war with the United States.

Are you roleplaying, or do you legitimately believe this?

1. False on several counts. There's no proof that the SDI can stop 1800 missiles in one go, let alone one. Most of its assets are on the West Coast and as such are totally useless when dealing with the vast majority of Russian missiles, which are deployed in the country's Europe-facing West half. Furthermore, even with a gratuitously liberal 99% intercept rate, which would be ludicrously high, it would still let 18 MIRV-equipped missiles through, each capable of hitting multiple targets. So go count about 90 major US cities and add the casualties up, then ask yourself if that's a victory.

2. Ruskies. Pretty sure that's racist.

3. Commie. Last I checked, United Russia was a party of the nationalist/populist Right. Did something change?

5. Cossack. Nope. Pretty sure he's a pure ethnic Russian.

6. Delusions? Nope. If he's delusional about his power, how does he have Crimea and Donetsk in his back pocket?

7. You're saying that if the US were to deploy the vast majority of its military on an expensive and gruelling campaign against a historically tenacious and well-armed foe capable of taking out hugely expensive equipment, it would at the same time be able to continue its economic recovery and not collapse? Because it would. The result would be worse than what happened in Vietnam. Way worse.

8. And the Americans would end it being better off if they hadn't survived.
ASK ME ABOUT HARUHIISM

DYNASTIES ARE THEFT/IMPEACH REINHARD/YANG WENLI 2020

"I am not a champion of lost causes, but of causes not yet won." - Norman Thomas

United States of The One Percent
Diplomat

Founded: May 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of The One Percent » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:42 pm

I'll deal with the OP, one a at time and then all to onct.

Everlyn wrote:We all know Russian President Putin is growing out of hand.

Says who? All Russia has done so far is to assert its national interests in what it calls its "near abroad," something it has done since, well, there was a Russia, and something every nation with means, motive and opportunity has done since, well, there were nations. That the US, or Europe, or, with more justification, Ukraine and Georgia, doesn't like the results doesn't mean Russia is any more "rogue" than any other nation.

Something has to be done, since economic sanctions aren't effective since they were issued against Russia.

First, something is being done, the economic and other sanctions you mention. You may not think they're effective but Russia's behavior -- complaining, launching cyber raids, retaliating -- suggests they are. France may be about to eat a big warship deal; thermostats may be going down elsewhere in Europe. A clear line has been drawn across NATO members' borders, a line Russia is unwilling to cross. The rest of the world is reacting to Russian activity in a measured and reasoned way.

Should war be brought forth? Or is there yet another option?

That says a lot more about you than about Russia. First, that you don't think things through, which might have made you an ideal head of the Coalition Provisional Authority in Iraq or W Administration war "planner" but doesn't cut much mustard anywhere else. When not even the most radical members of Congress or commentators are calling for war against Russia, well, you might just want to get down off your mustang, Sally.

Start by answering these questions: war where? By whom? With what ends? At what costs? Who will fight it? How long will it last? What's the plan if war doesn't achieve its goals? Given that war with Iraq cost hundreds of thousands of lives, trillions of dollars and an untold amount of sacred honor and lasted longer than any war America had ever fought, would war with Russia be more or less costly? Would it be worth it?

Now, all to onct:

We all know American President Obama is getting out of hand. Something has to be done, since economic sanctions haven't even been tried. Should war be brought forth?

America, Russia and every other nation don't act in the world the way they do because they are good and/or right; they don't act in the world the way they do because they are evil and/or wrong. They act the way they do in the world because they can. Russia acts where it can; America acts where it can. Might makes right. Get used to it; it's never going to change.
''There is one intelligence community and one only. And we are all its victims, wherever we live."

"...taking but not giving, ruling but not obeying, telling but not listening, taking life and not giving it. The slayers govern now, without interference; the dreams of mankind have become empty." -- Philip K. Dick

Cyrisnia
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyrisnia » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:44 pm

T Roosevelt wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:Opportunity to be killed and drenched in nuclear radiation, you mean?

Our SDI program can stop Putin's toys. The missile defense that the United States of America has is superior to anything the ruskies can dish out. A commie cossack like Putin with delusions of power will relent to our superior military force. Russia will not survive a total war with the United States.

*Casually sees 99 red balloons fly by*
R E D L E G S

【BORN TO ABOLISH】
SOUTH IS A F**K
鬼神 Kill Em All 1859
I am free man
410,757,864,530 DEAD REBS

T Roosevelt
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby T Roosevelt » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:47 pm

Greater Istanistan wrote:
T Roosevelt wrote:Our SDI program can stop Putin's toys. The missile defense that the United States of America has is superior to anything the ruskies can dish out. A commie cossack like Putin with delusions of power will relent to our superior military force. Russia will not survive a total war with the United States.

Are you roleplaying, or do you legitimately believe this?

1. False on several counts. There's no proof that the SDI can stop 1800 missiles in one go, let alone one. Most of its assets are on the West Coast and as such are totally useless when dealing with the vast majority of Russian missiles, which are deployed in the country's Europe-facing West half. Furthermore, even with a gratuitously liberal 99% intercept rate, which would be ludicrously high, it would still let 18 MIRV-equipped missiles through, each capable of hitting multiple targets. So go count about 90 major US cities and add the casualties up, then ask yourself if that's a victory.

2. Ruskies. Pretty sure that's racist.

3. Commie. Last I checked, United Russia was a party of the nationalist/populist Right. Did something change?

5. Cossack. Nope. Pretty sure he's a pure ethnic Russian.

6. Delusions? Nope. If he's delusional about his power, how does he have Crimea and Donetsk in his back pocket?

7. You're saying that if the US were to deploy the vast majority of its military on an expensive and gruelling campaign against a historically tenacious and well-armed foe capable of taking out hugely expensive equipment, it would at the same time be able to continue its economic recovery and not collapse? Because it would. The result would be worse than what happened in Vietnam. Way worse.

8. And the Americans would end it being better off if they hadn't survived.

Vladimir Putin is trying to rebuild the soviet union, he is practically Stalin if he is willing to expand without fair justification. His seizure of Crimea and Donetsk is part of his purpose. There's nothing wrong with being ethnically russian (is there even such a thing?) and the term ruskie doesn't imply that, cossack is a term against his dictatorial practice, not his ethnicity. He acts above impunity as if he is some sort of cossack ataman. He acts with immediately with executive authority to an irrational extent. As for your 7th point, we did it in the 50s. Point one isn't a high priority in my book, serving your nation to show the world that we're willing to throw everything at any challenger will end all war, there will always be war unless a just one is fully waged.
Last edited by T Roosevelt on Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[My ideal wife]

[JOIN THE GOP]

United States of The One Percent
Diplomat

Founded: May 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of The One Percent » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:47 pm

T Roosevelt wrote:We will not surrender easily...

Who's "we," Teddy? You got a turd in your pocket? If the real TR was as batshit crazy as you he'd've been locked up in the nearest Happy Home before he made Assistant Secretary of the Navy. But then I suppose you know that already. Troll on, dude. Troll on. Bully! Cha-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-arge!
''There is one intelligence community and one only. And we are all its victims, wherever we live."

"...taking but not giving, ruling but not obeying, telling but not listening, taking life and not giving it. The slayers govern now, without interference; the dreams of mankind have become empty." -- Philip K. Dick

T Roosevelt
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby T Roosevelt » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:51 pm

United States of The One Percent wrote:
T Roosevelt wrote:We will not surrender easily...

Who's "we," Teddy? You got a turd in your pocket? If the real TR was as batshit crazy as you he'd've been locked up in the nearest Happy Home before he made Assistant Secretary of the Navy. But then I suppose you know that already. Troll on, dude. Troll on. Bully! Cha-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-arge!

I'm not trolling as Theodore Roosevelt, I am not in that character.

[My ideal wife]

[JOIN THE GOP]

Our Governator
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Our Governator » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:51 pm

Just show him you won't mess around and he'll run away like a bat in the light. Russia likes to talk big and act big, but they're a Wizard of Oz at best.
"Small L" libertarian, "big R" Republican.
"I'm not a Conservative... as I understand the English language, a conservative wants to conserve, to make things the same, to keep them as they are. Conservatives want bigger government. The true conservatives today, who call themselves "liberals", these New Dealers, want to keep things the same: they want to keep going on the same path, towards bigger and bigger government. I would like to dismantle that. I call myself a Liberal, in the true sense of Liberal, in the sense that means and pertains to freedom."
- Milton Friedman

The Liberal Conservative Party
The Heart of a Liberal,
The Brain of a Conservative

T Roosevelt
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby T Roosevelt » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:54 pm

Our Governator wrote:Just show him you won't mess around and he'll run away like a bat in the light. Russia likes to talk big and act big, but they're a Wizard of Oz at best.

That's 3/4ths of my argument in defense of a war against Russia.

[My ideal wife]

[JOIN THE GOP]

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General