NATION

PASSWORD

Low-paying dream job vs. high-paying boring job

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Would you rather have a low-paying job that you love, or a high-paying job that's boring?

Low-paying dream job
43%
High-paying boring job
57%

Total votes : 155

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Low-paying dream job vs. high-paying boring job

Postby Atlanticatia » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:15 pm

A recent study I saw, said that "64% of Millennials would rather make $40,000/year at a job they love than $100,000/year at a job they think is boring."

So, would you rather have a low-paying job that you love, or a high-paying job that's boring?

- Let's assume that both jobs would be the same amount of work and difficulty.
- Let's say that the salary of the dream job is $30,000, and the salary of the boring job is $250,000. You only have to support yourself, so ignore everything about supporting a family or extended family.
- Your salary will be set at this for life, but it'll be inflation-adjusted: you'll never move up the payscale, but you'll maintain your purchasing power
- Would you rather have the low-paying dream job, or the high paying dream job? How much would the salary have to be to convince you to take the boring job?
- Is money or enjoyment(a dream job) at your job more important?

If I was choosing between $30,000 a year and $250,000 a year, I'd probably choose the high-paying boring job. $250k isn't exactly living a super-amazing lifestyle, but it'd be decent, so $500,000 would make me definitely take the boring job. I think that while being able to have my dream job would be pretty great, I would need to be able to have a decent standard of living. I don't know if I would want to live on $30,000 a year...for the rest of my life. I wouldn't want to have to live paycheck-to-paycheck, while only being able to afford the basics. With $500,000 a year, it'd afford a really decent lifestyle(and my life outside of work would be less boring), and I'd easily be able to save a lot of it, so I could stop working at the boring job a lot earlier than normal retirement age. If you saved about 20% of $500k each year, you'd be able to stop working with a 6-figure income for life in about 15-20 years.
Last edited by Atlanticatia on Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95

Pros: social democracy, LGBT+ rights, pro-choice, free education and health care, environmentalism, Nordic model, secularism, welfare state, multiculturalism
Cons: social conservatism, neoliberalism, hate speech, racism, sexism, 'right-to-work' laws, religious fundamentalism
i'm a dual american-new zealander previously lived in the northeast US, now living in new zealand. university student.
Social Democrat and Progressive.
Hanna Nilsen, Leader of the SDP. Equality, Prosperity, and Opportunity: The Social Democratic Party

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:17 pm

Money is what is most exciting to me. That and being able to anything that isn't just paperwork.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:19 pm

I'd go for the money.

Digital Planets
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Digital Planets » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:19 pm

A high-paying job = good housing = large backyard = giant pool = pool parties, cigars and vodka.

I don't see how that's boring. That'd make me one happy fucker if you add in hookers.
Last edited by Digital Planets on Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So you decide to open it anyway? What the heck, man?

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:20 pm

Well the way I see it, I'm spending my 20's doing things I hate so I have the security to do the things I want in twenty years.
password scrambled

Phocidaea
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Phocidaea » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:20 pm

Atlanticatia wrote:$250k isn't exactly living a super-amazing lifestyle, but it'd be decent

Dunno if you're living in New York or something, but a single person earning $250k a year is... a lot. That's a... life-changing amount of money for normal people.

Anyway, in your hypothetical situation I would definitely take the higher-paying job. "Interesting job" is kind of an oxymoron; given that they are the same amount of work, I would take the job that gives me more money to spend on actually-interesting things.
Last edited by Phocidaea on Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Phoca.
Senator [Unknown] of the Liberal Democrats in NSG Senate.
Je suis Charlie: Because your feels don't justify murder.

Lalaki
Senator

Founded: May 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lalaki » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:22 pm

I would go for the low-paying dream job. I don't need a big house, a fancy car, or expensive items. I want to live in a small mobile home with very basic possessions.
Born again free market capitalist.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:23 pm

I don't care if it's boring. As long as it's not more difficult, then I'd rather take the high-paying job. Especially considering the huge pay difference.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Aggicificicerous
Minister

Founded: Apr 24, 2007
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Aggicificicerous » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:23 pm

$30,000 is more than enough for me to live comfortably. I'll happily take that and a job I enjoy.

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:23 pm

Phocidaea wrote:
Atlanticatia wrote:$250k isn't exactly living a super-amazing lifestyle, but it'd be decent

Dunno if you're living in New York or something, but a single person earning $250k a year is... a lot. That's a... life-changing amount of money for normal people.

Anyway, in your hypothetical situation I would definitely take the higher-paying job. "Interesting job" is kind of an oxymoron; given that they are the same amount of work, I would take the job that gives me more money to spend on actually-interesting things.

Well I do live around New York, and it's definitely a lot of money, but I'm not sure if it'd give me an interesting enough lifestyle to outweigh the benefits of the dream job. $250k would probably do it, like a 95% chance.

And it's your dream job, so it's basically whatever you love doing, and whatever you've always wanted to do as a job - anything at all - but you can only earn $30k a year.
Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95

Pros: social democracy, LGBT+ rights, pro-choice, free education and health care, environmentalism, Nordic model, secularism, welfare state, multiculturalism
Cons: social conservatism, neoliberalism, hate speech, racism, sexism, 'right-to-work' laws, religious fundamentalism
i'm a dual american-new zealander previously lived in the northeast US, now living in new zealand. university student.
Social Democrat and Progressive.
Hanna Nilsen, Leader of the SDP. Equality, Prosperity, and Opportunity: The Social Democratic Party

Digital Planets
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Digital Planets » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:23 pm

Aggicificicerous wrote:$30,000 is more than enough for me to live comfortably. I'll happily take that and a job I enjoy.

You're doing life wrong then.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:24 pm

Digital Planets wrote:
Aggicificicerous wrote:$30,000 is more than enough for me to live comfortably. I'll happily take that and a job I enjoy.

Boo to the man who cannot appreciate a humble life.
password scrambled

District XIV
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby District XIV » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:24 pm

Digital Planets wrote:

Subjective.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:25 pm

Digital Planets wrote:

If 30,000 is enough for you to live off of comfortably, then yes, this, you're doing life wrong.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:25 pm

Digital Planets wrote:A high-paying job = good housing = large backyard = giant pool = pool parties.

I don't see how that's boring. That'd make me one happy fucker if you add in hookers.

Indeed, it's the ability to be not eternally bound to low wages. Having no money for leisure and living in a bad area isn't fulfilling enough... Magic cards, video games, and nice food isn't free!
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:25 pm

Luckily the salary of my dream job is $125,000!

To be honest, I'd rather work my dream job and live within my means rather than a terribly boring job.

Digital Planets
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Digital Planets » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:25 pm

Condunum wrote:
Digital Planets wrote:

Boo to the man who cannot appreciate a humble life.

I'm sorry that my wanting of a life with fast cars, hookers, and 700 pounds of cocaine in my ornate-designed mansion is ruining it for you.
Last edited by Digital Planets on Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aggicificicerous
Minister

Founded: Apr 24, 2007
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Aggicificicerous » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:25 pm

Digital Planets wrote:

If you need $250,000 dollars to enjoy life, you are the one doing it wrong.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:26 pm

You'd have more fun with the 250k instead of the 30k.

The Fascist American Empire
Minister

Founded: Oct 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Fascist American Empire » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:27 pm

In case we haven't noticed, young people tend to be pretty stupid. This is coming from a high school kid. I would rather hate my job everyday except payday, when I can actually use aforesaid money to:

a. Pay off student loans,
b. Not accumulate credit card debt,
c. Properly invest said funds so as to increase my wealth even further,
and
d. Save for retirement.

Whereas, if I'm in a low-paying job that I love (not likely, as I'm aiming to be a litigation lawyer), then I will:
1. Accumulate debts that I cannot repay
2. Go into depression as I cannot support my family
3. Despise my job for reasons one and two.

Americans, hands off Ukraine and let Russia do what they will in their own sphere of influence! You are not the world's police!
You obviously do since you posted a response like the shifty little red velvet pseudo ant you are. Yes I am onto your little tricks you hissing pest you exoskeleton brier patch you. Now crawl back in to that patch of grass you call hell and hiss some more. -Benuty
[quote="Arkandros";p="20014230"]

RIP Eli Waller
Race! It is a feeling, not a reality: ninety-five percent, at least, is a feeling. Nothing will ever make me believe that biologically pure races can be shown to exist today. -Benito Mussolini

Deramen
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Deramen » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:27 pm

i would take the money. because after a while i would have so much money i could do what ever i want
You can call me Dera.
INFP-T.

[violet] wrote:
Scoochi2 wrote:I'm now being offered Filipino girlfriends...

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:27 pm

Dream job. Idc if it's low paying, I want my life's work to mean something.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:28 pm

This is why I said I would prefer something like a modified Soviet system where housing and healthcare are guaranteed (along with employment positions) and university is heavily subsidized, because then, as long as there's open positions for it, you wouldn't have to need nearly as much pay to get by or even have comfortable amenities.

EDIT: As for the specific question: how much of my time does each job take up? A high-paying boring job wouldn't be a problem at all if it's only something like a 9-5 arrangement.
Last edited by United Marxist Nations on Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:29 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:This is why I said I would prefer something like a modified Soviet system where housing and healthcare are guaranteed (along with employment positions) and university is heavily subsidized, because then, as long as there's open positions for it, you wouldn't have to need nearly as much pay to get by or even have comfortable amenities.

Damn man. It's a little question about pay, not about how we should bring in the Soviet System or not.

Digital Planets
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Digital Planets » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:30 pm

Aggicificicerous wrote:
Digital Planets wrote:

If you need $250,000 dollars to enjoy life, you are the one doing it wrong.

I want as fucking much money as I need to enjoy life, with fast cars, hookers, private planes, buying a country out and turning into a giant tourist trap, then when I die, mobilize an army to kill everyone and burn it down.
Last edited by Digital Planets on Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General