NATION

PASSWORD

Neo-Conservatism: Bomb this thread, we have Oil

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your stance on Neo-Conservatism?

As a NeoCon, I believe it's good.
12%
I'm not a NeoCon, but I agree with many of their points.
13%
I'm not a NeoCon, and they are right once in a blue moon.
18%
I'm not a NeoCon, and I believe they are wrong.
36%
Why does America even need a military? Costa Rica seems to be doing fine.
4%
It's a Zionist-Halliburton-Bush-Saudi-Enron-Blair conspiracy for oil.
16%

Total votes : 271

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:54 am

Empire of Narnia wrote:
Murkwood wrote:If we followed your logic and didn't go into Korea, think how bad it would be.

It would be better because Kim Il-Sung would have full control, which would mean a much better country. With the agricultural south and industrial north unified many food supply issues with modern North Korea would be avoided. The ultra-militarized state of the DPRK would also be avoided as they would have no need for such a large standing army. So really things would be a lot better without US intervention in Korea.

Why should the South have had to remain agricultural to pay for the mistakes of an incompetent government? Doesn't it have the right to develop itself?
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:57 am

Kelinfort wrote:
Murkwood wrote:If we followed your logic and didn't go into Korea, think how bad it would be.

Except unlike say Iraq, Korea was already divided and seeking our help at the time. The true neocon war, Iraq, was a complete and utter failure in every sense of the word except for getting rid of Saddam, a one time ally of the nation who tossed him out for no legitimate reason, not even tyranny.

"Not even tyranny".

That's just dishonest.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

The Lithuanian-Surinamese Caliphate
Envoy

Founded: Feb 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Lithuanian-Surinamese Caliphate » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:58 am

Murkwood wrote:
Empire of Narnia wrote:It gives people freedom, well except for all the ones who are dead.

There will always been casualties in war. The real question is: would the majority of people be better off?

The answer to that question is a resounding no.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NSG is your blog; don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:Way to go for SUPPRESSING my opinion.
Economic Left/Right: -7.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.08

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:58 am

Geilinor wrote:
Empire of Narnia wrote:It would be better because Kim Il-Sung would have full control, which would mean a much better country. With the agricultural south and industrial north unified many food supply issues with modern North Korea would be avoided. The ultra-militarized state of the DPRK would also be avoided as they would have no need for such a large standing army. So really things would be a lot better without US intervention in Korea.

Why should the South have had to remain agricultural to pay for the mistakes of an incompetent government? Doesn't it have the right to develop itself?

The south has more arable land so it is better suited for agriculture. That of course doesn't mean the south wouldn't be developed, it would. The good thing is though North Korea wouldn't have any of the issues with food supply is has now. With both a strong agricultural region and a strong industrial region the country would be a lot better off.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:00 pm

The Lithuanian-Surinamese Caliphate wrote:
Murkwood wrote:There will always been casualties in war. The real question is: would the majority of people be better off?

The answer to that question is a resounding no.

Umm...we are talking about in general. So unless you mean all wars are bad, then what you are saying makes no sense.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:01 pm

Murkwood wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:Except unlike say Iraq, Korea was already divided and seeking our help at the time. The true neocon war, Iraq, was a complete and utter failure in every sense of the word except for getting rid of Saddam, a one time ally of the nation who tossed him out for no legitimate reason, not even tyranny.

"Not even tyranny".

That's just dishonest.

Did we ever use tyranny as an excuse to free the Iraqis?

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:02 pm

Kelinfort wrote:
Murkwood wrote:"Not even tyranny".

That's just dishonest.

That was one of the main reasons, yes.

Britanno
Minister

Founded: Apr 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Britanno » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:02 pm

Murkwood wrote:That wasn't immoral. We toppled one of the worst dictators in modern history.

And in doing so screwed Iraq over for decades to come. Totally moral.
NSGS Liberal Democrats - The Centrist Alternative
British, male, heterosexual, aged 26, liberal conservative, unitarian universalist
Pro: marriage equality, polygamy, abortion up to viability, UK Lib Dems, US Democrats
Anti: discrimination, euroscepticism, UKIP, immigrant bashing, UK Labour, US Republicans
British Home Counties wrote:
Alyakia wrote:our nations greatest achievement is slowly but surely being destroyed
America is doing fine atm

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:02 pm

Kelinfort wrote:

That's just dishonest.

Iraq is in way worse shape now that the US attacked it. Now it's a war zone. Saddam kept things stable and made people proud to be Iraqi. Now the country is a failed state.

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Lithuanian-Surinamese Caliphate » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:03 pm

Murkwood wrote:
The Lithuanian-Surinamese Caliphate wrote:The answer to that question is a resounding no.

Umm...we are talking about in general. So unless you mean all wars are bad, then what you are saying makes no sense.

I was specifically referring to the Iraq war, which you are so fond of. Of course, some wars do cause the majority of people to be better off, but Iraq was not one of those wars.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:03 pm

Britanno wrote:
Murkwood wrote:That wasn't immoral. We toppled one of the worst dictators in modern history.

And in doing so screwed Iraq over for decades to come. Totally moral.

Iraq was already screwed. We just made it better.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:04 pm

Murkwood wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:Did we ever use tyranny as an excuse to free the Iraqis?

That was one of the main reasons, yes.

Then what was the point of the WMD's? Why was that whole fiasco necessary? We didn't invade for that reason under Clinton or other Bush.

We had faulty intel, we knew it wasn't entirely accurate, other nations that were more of a threat had proven WMD capabilities. Other nations have worse tyrants. So why Iraq?

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:04 pm

Kelinfort wrote:
Murkwood wrote:That was one of the main reasons, yes.

Then what was the point of the WMD's? Why was that whole fiasco necessary? We didn't invade for that reason under Clinton or other Bush.

We had faulty intel, we knew it wasn't entirely accurate, other nations that were more of a threat had proven WMD capabilities. Other nations have worse tyrants. So why Iraq?

One, not all of the reasons.

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Lithuanian-Surinamese Caliphate » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:06 pm

Murkwood wrote:
Britanno wrote:And in doing so screwed Iraq over for decades to come. Totally moral.

:rofl:

I don't even have words for the sheer incorrectness of that post.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:06 pm

Kelinfort wrote:

That's just dishonest.

Kind of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationale_for_the_Iraq_War

The U.S. stated that the intent was to remove "a regime that developed and used weapons of mass destruction, that harbored and supported terrorists, committed outrageous human rights abuses, and defied the just demands of the United Nations and the world".[1] Additional reasons have been suggested: "to change the Middle East so as to deny support for militant Islam by pressuring or transforming the nations and transnational systems that support it."[2] For the invasion of Iraq the rationale was "the United States relied on the authority of UN Security Council Resolutions 678 and 687 to use all necessary means to compel Iraq to comply with its international obligations".[3]
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:08 pm

Murkwood wrote:
Britanno wrote:And in doing so screwed Iraq over for decades to come. Totally moral.

What? No we didn't make it better.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:08 pm

Soldati senza confini wrote:
Murkwood wrote:Iraq was already screwed. We just made it better.

Those oppressed under Saddam beg to differ.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:09 pm

Murkwood wrote:

So would those discriminated against by the Shi'ite government and those having to deal with that government's failure to defend its own borders.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:11 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Murkwood wrote:Those oppressed under Saddam beg to differ.

So would those discriminated against by the Shi'ite government and those having to deal with that government's failure to defend its own borders.

Sectarian violence has nothing to do with US involvement. We traded a tyrannical sectarian for a democratic sectarian. There would be violence regardless.
Last edited by Murkwood on Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:11 pm

Murkwood wrote:

The 500,000 who died during the occupation, insurgency, and the new government beg to differ as well.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:12 pm

Murkwood wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:So would those discriminated against by the Shi'ite government and those having to deal with that government's failure to defend its own borders.

Sectarian violence has nothing to do with US involvement. We traded a tyrannical sectarian for a democratic sectarian. There would be violence regardless.

That doesn't make it better. You just traded one asshole for a bunch of them.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:13 pm

Murkwood wrote:Sectarian violence has nothing to do with US involvement. We traded a tyrannical sectarian for a democratic sectarian. There would be violence regardless.

Exactly my point, thank you.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:13 pm

Murkwood wrote:Sectarian violence has nothing to do with US involvement. We traded a tyrannical sectarian for a democratic sectarian. There would be violence regardless.

Nearly everyone in the MidEast is sectarian.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:14 pm

Murkwood wrote:

Nearly everyone in the MidEast is sectarian.

Which so why self determination is way better than outside invasion.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:15 pm

Kelinfort wrote:
Murkwood wrote:Nearly everyone in the MidEast is sectarian.

Which so why self determination is way better than outside invasion.

But there was no self-determination under Saddam.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General