NATION

PASSWORD

Military Ground Vehicles of Your Nation [NO MECHS] Type 6

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who will OP the next MGVoYN[NM] thread?

Imperializt Russia
25%
Anemos Major
33%
Questers
5%
Dragomere
13%
Dostanuot Loj
3%
The Kievan People
14%
Oaledonia
8%

Total votes : 159

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sat May 24, 2014 5:29 pm

Mozria wrote:Hm. I have never used such an application. I may look into it, seeing that it gives a better appearance versus my line-heavy models in SketchUp Make.

On another note, what are the beneficial and detrimental qualities of the use of track return rollers?

I tried it a while ago. Gave up. I may try it again and put some actual effort into it though.

They keep the track tight and stop the top of the track flexing and hitting the fender or potentially throwing itself off the wheels. No idea about any downsides. Harder to change the track, maybe?
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

Mozria
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mozria » Sat May 24, 2014 5:40 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Mozria wrote:Hm. I have never used such an application. I may look into it, seeing that it gives a better appearance versus my line-heavy models in SketchUp Make.

On another note, what are the beneficial and detrimental qualities of the use of track return rollers?

I tried it a while ago. Gave up. I may try it again and put some actual effort into it though.

They keep the track tight and stop the top of the track flexing and hitting the fender or potentially throwing itself off the wheels. No idea about any downsides. Harder to change the track, maybe?

How do they keep the track tight, though? It appears that the tracks just sit on top of them, with no tension being applied.

Rich and Corporations
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 09, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Rich and Corporations » Sat May 24, 2014 5:44 pm

Would it be unreasonable to design and build a Merkava style IFV with 4-6 passengers and a 76mm HV gun?
Corporate Confederacy
DEFENSE ALERT LEVEL
PEACE WAR

Factbook [url=iiwiki.com/wiki/Corporate_Confederacy]Wiki Article[/url]
Neptonia

Mozria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mozria » Sat May 24, 2014 5:45 pm

Rich and Corporations wrote:Would it be unreasonable to design and build a Merkava style IFV with 4-6 passengers and a 76mm HV gun?

Are you meaning Namer-style, or really as a Merkava analog?

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sat May 24, 2014 5:46 pm

Mozria wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:

How do they keep the track tight, though? It appears that the tracks just sit on top of them, with no tension being applied.

Maybe tight is the wrong word. Taut is probably more appropriate. Still, they're just there to stop the track from falling or and or from having the track damage itself or the fender from being too slack and flapping all over the place.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Sat May 24, 2014 5:47 pm

Rich and Corporations wrote:Would it be unreasonable to design and build a Merkava style IFV with 4-6 passengers and a 76mm HV gun?

RIP
Your Nation's Main Battle Tank (No Mechs)
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
DEUS STATUS: ( X ) VULT ( ) NOT VULT
Leopard 2 IRL
Imperializt Russia wrote:kyiv rn irl

Anemos wrote:<Anemos> thx Kyiv D:
<Anemos> you are the eternal onii-san

Europe, a cool region for cool people. Click to find out more.

Mozria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mozria » Sat May 24, 2014 5:47 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Mozria wrote:How do they keep the track tight, though? It appears that the tracks just sit on top of them, with no tension being applied.
(Image)

Maybe tight is the wrong word. Taut is probably more appropriate. Still, they're just there to stop the track from falling or and or from having the track damage itself or the fender from being too slack and flapping all over the place.

I see. I shall add them to my suspension immediately.

Silly that I did not remember to put them in before, though.

Rich and Corporations
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 09, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Rich and Corporations » Sat May 24, 2014 5:48 pm

The Kievan People wrote:

...whatami.png
RAND tank?
Mozria wrote:

Are you meaning Namer-style, or really as a Merkava analog?

Mainline Namer has no gun...

Merkava, yes.

It'd be more like the M3/M2 Bradley, one variant has more ammoracks in the rear and less passengers, and the other variant has less ammo and more passengers.
Corporate Confederacy
DEFENSE ALERT LEVEL
PEACE WAR

Factbook [url=iiwiki.com/wiki/Corporate_Confederacy]Wiki Article[/url]
Neptonia

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sat May 24, 2014 5:51 pm

Mozria wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:

I see. I shall add them to my suspension immediately.

I think they're only really needed if the vehicle is likely to get up to any high speeds. The reason why many German tanks during WWII didn't have them is probably because they were all fairly slow and the tracks were so wide and heavy.

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Sat May 24, 2014 5:52 pm

It's an IFV for six passengers based on a heavy tank chassis with a 75mm autocannon in a remote turret. Obviously.
RIP
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
Leopard 2 IRL

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Sat May 24, 2014 5:55 pm

My bad, it's a 90mm autocannon and a CKEM box launcher. :oops:
Last edited by The Kievan People on Sat May 24, 2014 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
Leopard 2 IRL

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat May 24, 2014 6:04 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Mozria wrote:I see. I shall add them to my suspension immediately.

I think they're only really needed if the vehicle is likely to get up to any high speeds. The reason why many German tanks during WWII didn't have them is probably because they were all fairly slow and the tracks were so wide and heavy.

Ford is right. Basically what happens is that because tracks have to have a bit of slack as the tank moves is that the unsupported upper track will tend to flap around. And as the vehicle gets faster and faster this intensifies. And after a certain point they start bashing against both the upper fender (not important) and road wheels (which hurts). And this tends to damage the tracks. So it all depends on the speed.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sat May 24, 2014 6:12 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:

Ford is right. Basically what happens is that because tracks have to have a bit of slack as the tank moves is that the unsupported upper track will tend to flap around. And as the vehicle gets faster and faster this intensifies. And after a certain point they start bashing against both the upper fender (not important) and road wheels (which hurts). And this tends to damage the tracks. So it all depends on the speed.

I'll still never understand how slack tracks flex on the top side yet are taut along the bottom. Don't even try and explain that shit to me.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat May 24, 2014 6:14 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Purpelia wrote:Ford is right. Basically what happens is that because tracks have to have a bit of slack as the tank moves is that the unsupported upper track will tend to flap around. And as the vehicle gets faster and faster this intensifies. And after a certain point they start bashing against both the upper fender (not important) and road wheels (which hurts). And this tends to damage the tracks. So it all depends on the speed.

I'll still never understand how slack tracks flex on the top side yet are taut along the bottom. Don't even try and explain that shit to me.

The reason why tracks are always a bit slack in the first place is so that they can flex along the bottom. That's what happens when ever your tank drives over something and the suspension raises one of the road wheels. If they were perfectly tensioned the tracks would remain rigid whilst the wheels move up and would either break, be thrown or just make the suspension useless.
Last edited by Purpelia on Sat May 24, 2014 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sat May 24, 2014 6:18 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:

The reason why tracks are always a bit slack in the first place is so that they can flex along the bottom. That's what happens when ever your tank drives over something and the suspension raises one of the road wheels. If they were perfectly tensioned the tracks would remain rigid whilst the wheels move up and would either break, be thrown or just make the suspension useless.

I know. I just don't understand the physics behind this.

Edit: Panthers were pretty big.
Last edited by Fordorsia on Sat May 24, 2014 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat May 24, 2014 6:19 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Purpelia wrote:The reason why tracks are always a bit slack in the first place is so that they can flex along the bottom. That's what happens when ever your tank drives over something and the suspension raises one of the road wheels. If they were perfectly tensioned the tracks would remain rigid whilst the wheels move up and would either break, be thrown or just make the suspension useless.

What in particular do you not understand?

Lydenburg
Senator

Founded: May 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lydenburg » Sat May 24, 2014 6:21 pm

The Kievan People wrote:My bad, it's a 90mm autocannon and a CKEM box launcher. :oops:

Are you being serious? A 90mm autocannon?

Ek bly in Australie nou, maar Afrika sal altyd in my hart wees. Maak nie saak wat gebeur nie, ek is trots om te kan sê ek is 'n kind van hierdie ingewikkelde soms wrede kontinent. Mis jou altyd my Suid-Afrika, hier met n seer hart al die pad van Melbourne af!

Pteroslavia
Attaché

Founded: May 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Pteroslavia » Sat May 24, 2014 6:22 pm

Kind of wanting feedback on this, built in 1923. The engine's been modified to allow the gunner into the back turret The other ZPM-20 is in a mount next to the Driver, in the front.
Last edited by Pteroslavia on Sat May 24, 2014 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I CAN into history!

View more of my art designs here
http://herrmajorloveswar.deviantart.com/

And my Factbook here
http://www.nationstates.net/nation=pteroslavia/detail=factbook

Both are still very much WIP, but I appreciate any comments or suggestion!

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sat May 24, 2014 6:24 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:

What in particular do you not understand?

The fact that the parts of the track that are in contact with the wheels are taut and shit, and the rest is slack. I try to understand it, but my subconsciousness always rests on the idea that having the track that slack would make it just make it fall of the wheels when it was driving, regardless of speed. I don't really know what I don't understand. I think I just can't understand the idea that the track can be both taut and slack at the same time, in separate places.

Like I said, don't try to explain it to me, because it will most likely not work.
Last edited by Fordorsia on Sat May 24, 2014 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Sat May 24, 2014 6:25 pm

Lydenburg wrote:

Yes?
RIP
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
Leopard 2 IRL

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sat May 24, 2014 6:25 pm

The Kievan People wrote:
Lydenburg wrote:

Yes?

I take it you mean a semi-automatic cannon, not a fully-automatic cannon?
Last edited by Fordorsia on Sat May 24, 2014 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Tsavon
Minister

Founded: Mar 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Tsavon » Sat May 24, 2014 6:26 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
The Kievan People wrote:
Yes?

I take it you mean a semi-automatic cannon, not a fully-automatic cannon?

He could well be using an upscaled ARES gun.
Ave Nex Alea

Mallorea and Riva should resign

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat May 24, 2014 6:28 pm

Fordorsia wrote:The fact that the parts of the track that are in contact with the wheels are taut and shit, and the rest is slack.

You mean the bottom track? I think it's just the fact that you can't see the slack because gravity, strong as it is can't make them bend into and through the ground.

I try to understand it, but my subconsciousness always rests on the idea that having the track that slack would make it just make it fall of the wheels when it was driving, regardless of speed. I don't really know what I don't understand. I think I just can't understand the idea that the track can be both taut and slack at the same time, in separate places.

You have to stop thinking of the track as different pieces and start thinking of it as one big rubber band.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat May 24, 2014 6:29 pm

If an autocannon can only fire in semi-auto does it still count as one?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information