NATION

PASSWORD

Lay down your burdens (MT)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Blackledge
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 27, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Lay down your burdens (MT)

Postby Blackledge » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:07 pm

While no formal invite is made ITT, I have an interest to return to MT RPing. This can serve as something of an example of my writing and some characters.

I'm open to telegrams for RP ideas or invitations to existing MT RPs.

Royal Palace, City of Laurel
Bernician March, Kingdom of Blackledge

Michael Robert Blackledge should have been packing for the trip from Laurel back to the Nagelring, to resume his studies. Commandant Upton Skeates would surely be giving him student command for a training cadre: Michael's first command, after two years as a junior cadet, and a massive boost in prestige within the relatively small community that is an officer training school. The responsibility was a weight on his shoulders, even if the decision had not been formally made.

Yes, the cadre command was a foregone conclusion. As for his executive officer? Michael temporarily considered his roommate, then dismissed the idea. Starting out a command with the appearance of favoritism would be in poor form. Maxwell Ewell was very capable, and a good friend, but cadre politics played into the decision. As the Crown Prince of the Realm, Michael had to carefully cultivate good working relationships with the future leaders of what would be his realm's army someday. The Prince of Afallon and Duke of Carrach, he reminded himself, was no simple job.

Such things were what he should have been thinking about-what he had been thinking about-until only a few days ago. Now he dressed in his grey cadet uniform, with the badge of the Nagelring on the cap and his cadet rank on his epaulets. He would not be returning to the academy, not yet. The dressing servant he had dismissed to wait outside the door politely tapped on the heavy oak frame. A signal, reminding Prince Michael he needed to be ready to head outside, for the funeral of his grandfather.

The heavy door swung open and his cousin, Dominic Blackledge, came into the bedroom carrying his own cap under one arm. He dismissed the servant, who had lingered behind the huge Dominic in the doorway, and turned back to face his cousin. Prince Michael considered the middle-aged Marshal of the Armies, who gave a small comforting smile and shook his head. "I'm not even your brother, and I still feel as though my own grandfather just died."

The Prince nodded. "I think many in the realm feel that way, or near enough," he answered. "He wasn't always tactful-"

"Especially if he needed something done," Dominic Blackledge said.

Nodding, Michael went on, "But he did his duty. He served my family before his daughter, my mother, ever formally joined it. And even after retirement, he came back to serve in the Great Nodic War. It's no wonder we feel lost without him."

"No wonder at all," his cousin said over his shoulder as he paced to one of the grand windows opposite the doorway. "His duty until the last breath. Don't take this as my talking down to you, but it is a lesson you can take to heart as a cadet. This dynasty may guide the state, but we do so as servants to the common good."

Michael finished affixing the rank insignia on his uniform jacket, and turned to Dominic. "Did my father send for me?" he asked.

"It is time. We're waiting on you, cousin." Dominic said with a sympathetic wink. Michael looked around his bedroom, a place he had not seen much at all since he left for his education, and picked up his cap. His cousin made way for him and allowed the Prince to leave first.

When they made it to the grand entrance hall of the castle, Michael saw the rest of his extended family gathered. At the center was his father, His Majesty the King, Kevan Curtis Blackledge the Second, speaking with another man. Tall and proud, adorned in the navy-blue uniform of the Brigade of Blackledge Guards, Kevan Blackledge still exuded a youthful confidence. Age had given his face a few seams, and his auburn hair had grey at the sides and back, but his blue eyes shone as bright as ever.

The king held an arm tenderly around the shoulders of Queen Olivia, who held her own head up high, though her eyes dipped to the floor as if lost in thought. Even her black mourning clothing could not hide her beauty, with slender frame and a hint of dark blonde hair peaking from under her veil.

Prince Michael noticed his father had been speaking to Uncle Rudolf, his father's only living brother. Uncle Rudolf had a tendency to be dour, and served as the military governor of the Nodic territories. His left arm was a subdued black artificial limb; a reminder of the last Nodic War. Michael glanced around but did not notice if his cousins, Uncle Rudolf's children, were present. Until he caught Hermione's glance. His cousin was a striking beauty, sharing her father's piercing eyes. He gave her a brief smile and quickly turned to look for his brothers and sisters.

Of his siblings and cousins, those in training or service to the Armed Forces of the Crown wore their finest dress uniforms, while all others wore dark suits or dresses befitting the situation. Michael spotted his sisters, Melissa and Elsa, both talking with his youngest brother, Arthur. Only eleven years old, Arthur wore a child's sized version of his father's uniform. His sisters, seventeen and fifteen respectively, wore dresses of similar make and cut of their mother's. Michael twisted his head around but could see no sign of his middle brother. Winfred had just started his own higher education.
Had he not returned in time?

With a simple gesture of his hand, Kevan Blackledge ushered the families out of the hall and to the waiting procession before the royal palace. The flag in front of the famous building flew at half staff. Castle Blackledge itself looked much as it had generations. Repairs and expansions had not erased it's basic appearance of medieval fortress atop a lone mountain. The rest of the capital city to the south of the palace was bright and clean for a modern city, though today it was still and silent.

His father met Michael at the head the head of the procession. After shaking hands with his father and kissing his mother on the cheek, he nodded. "I am ready."

"I know, son," King Kevan agreed. "Per your grandfather's request, there will be no filming of this procession. Only still photographs, when tasteful. But it's important they see you beside your mother and I for this. Another era changes." At that last comment the Queen suppressed a sorrowful moan, and the King gently pulled her close.

Tens-hundreds-of thousands of people lined the route from the Royal Palace down the mountain and through the city, all along the road to Caer Aethelbarrow on the outskirts of the city. He recognized members of the High Council and Privy Council, as well as the Dukes of the overseas Dominions in the main stands overseeing the procession.

A moment later, he forgot all about the people in the stands and the crowd, for flourishes of muffled drums announced that the procession was beginning. Behind the drummers-all from the Royal Air Force that had been Air Marshal Raymond Emsley's life-came a riderless black horse led by a colour sergeant of the Brigade of Guards. As the animal slowly walked past, Prince Michael saw that it had reversed boots thrust into the stirrups and a sheathed sword lashed to the saddle.

Six white horses, teamed in twos, drew the black caisson carrying grandfather's body in a flag-draped coffin. All six of the horses were saddled. The saddles of the three on the right were empty; RAF officers rode the three on the left. His father marched bareheaded behind the caisson, his mother alongside. Prince Michael joined them, and so to did the rest of his family, Blackledge and Emsley, follow. He saw Dominic and his wife were close behind. The extended Emsley clan, a noble family from across the Lief Sea to the west, was in attendance in its entirety, it seemed. His mother's marriage to the King had significantly elevated their own standing and prestige.

After the families marched a band playing soft, somber music. Another riderless horse brought up the rear of the procession. Once the procession had passed the reviewing stand, it turned south, down the mountain and through the city. In silence the procession crossed Wolcott Square, strode along the broad lanes of Aethelred Avenue and past the Grand Eahl of the Drywarate priesthood. The crowds there were just as thick as they had been between the Royal Palace and the base of the mountain. The sounds of weeping rose above the music of the band.

The people loved him. Though he had served a long and distinguished career in his prime, Raymond Emsley had come out of retirement during the Great Nodic War to take command of the air and civil defence assets of the capital city. His single-minded devotion to saving lives and coordinating rescue services had endeared him to the population, even if, as Michael admitted to himself, he'd had the personality of a bear that had just been awoken.

It was night by the time the procession reached it's destination. Michael respected his father's decision to allow grandfather Raymond to be interred in Caer Aethelbarrow, on the north side of the Pearl river just outside the city. On the southern bank of the Pearl, the crowds remained as they watched and wept. Only the families and the royal guards were permitted into the grounds of the Barrows. Overseen by a grand castle of ancient make, it was where many connected to the royal family were laid to rest.

In the center grounds a great pyre had been constructed. A criss-cross of birch and magnolia timbers, filled with brushwood, was prepared. The deceased Air Marshal's body was carefully taken to the top of the pyre, dressed by the younger girls with a wreath of flowers and by Arthur with an iron sword marked with the hooked symbol of Thunor over his chest.
A dryw of the Faith stood by, all of his face, save for a long grey beard, obscured by a broad hood and carrying a torch to illuminate the scene. At the dryw's side was a petite girl in a matching dun robe with the hood thrown back. Her chestnut hair reflected the light from the torch, and she aided both the girls and Arthur in reaching the body of the dead Air Marshal. The young acolyte wept openly and truly, and the innocence of it tore at his heart. He wanted to reach her and comfort her, even as he felt the tears at the corners of his own eyes.

Finally, Michael's sister Elsa, the younger of the two Blackledge daughters came forward. In a hauntingly delicate voice, she sang Lohwny's Lament, as Queen Olivia lit her own father's pyre. As the flames licked up higher and higher, engulfing the timbers and reached the top, Olivia was silent. The only sound beside the flames were Elsa's voice, and the light from flame shone on the tears on the red-haired girl's face.
When the lament ended, Elsa stood beside her mother in silence. The families stood silent as the fires burned themselves out, and the ashes of Raymond Emsley were gathered and placed in a great urn.

Along with the charred iron sword, the urn was carried by Guardsmen into one of the great Barrows, and placed with reverence besides the urn of Raymond's wife. Grandmother had passed on two years earlier, another staggering blow to the Queen. The Guardsmen stepped out backwards, as it was disrespectful to turn one's back on the honoured dead, and sealed the entrance.

Prince Michael joined his parents and siblings, and stood vigil over the entrance until the sun rose. Dawn broke, and the ceremony came to an end. With drummers leading the way, and flanked by Guardsmen, the Royal Family and their Emsley in-laws began the multi-kilometer trek back to the Royal Palace.

Though it nearly brought a tear to his blue eyes, Michael held his head on high as he saw that the route was still packed with silent crowds. As the procession passed each street, the crowds began to disperse and return home to rest. The King and Queen held hands the entire way. Even Wolcott Square, busy by this time on an average day, was still.

When they reached Castle Blackledge atop the mountain, the Royal Family broke their fast on a simple meal and talked but little. The Emsleys said their goodbyes to Queen Olivia and prepared to rest before departing that night, and Michael reminded himself to check his own bags before he flew back to the Nagelring in the next few days.

His distant cousin and uncle, Dukes Dominic and Rudolf, sat with his father and conferred on some matter quietly. The Prince was curious, but a gradual weariness had finally hit him as he sat. Grandfather was gone and his burdens finally laid to rest, but Michael knew what his grandfather would have said: the Prince's own were only beginning.
Last edited by Blackledge on Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:01 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Cattle die, kinsmen die, and so shall you die, too. But one thing I know that never dies: the fame of a dead man’s deeds.
A concise history of the Falklands War
The Commonwealth States of Blackledge
Factbook|Internal Matters|

Blackledge
Ambassador

Postby Blackledge » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:09 pm

The snow was gentler now, swirling down in soft flurries over the silent capital, coming in from the north like a feather-soft rain. It had snowed for a week. Tree-lined streets bore the most colour, with evergreens unwilling to hide their natural beauty. As night settled in there were fewer citizens out and about, and in the distance Edward Northcott could see a trolley working its rounds down the center of a broad avenue. He stepped away from the corridor window and continued along the passageway, before reaching the bronze doors to His Majesty's private planning chamber.

A brace of Guardsmen stood at attention in their midnight-blue dress uniforms, and a third approached to swing open one of the heavy doors. Edward gave the Guardsmen a salute by way of a respectful nod, and ran a hair through the shock of white hair he still had before crossing through the entrance. King-Emperor Kevan Blackledge looked up from his massive antique desk and raised an eyebrow. "Ned?" My Minister of Intelligence, Investigations and Operations has been out of the capital since the funeral for Olivia's father. The man has earned some time on holiday. "I had not expected you back from your estate in Tavistock so soon. Camilla is alright?"

Northcott paused, realizing he had not informed the King of his premature return. "She is well, Majesty. As is the rest of my family. In my time at holiday, I had the office keep me abreast of things. I received a notification from Spencer and so decided to return. You recall Spencer?" He moved to the pad controlling the the office's wall-mounted viewing monitor.

The King gave a non-committal grunt. "Is this going where I think it is?"

Edward held up a flash drive. "Spencer has been heading the security monitoring of your niece, Princess Sylvia. This includes assigning bodyguards and so on. Although the princess seems to believe she has bought the personal loyalty of those around her, Spencer has received reports corroborating previous intelligence."

What could she be thinking? Kevan wondered. He looked around his desk, and then plucked a sheet of paper from the small stack. It was a letter from Sylvia. "It wouldn't have anything to do with this, would it? She wrote before Raymond's funeral, saying she would be unable to be present due to prior commitments with a fund-raising effort."

Having inserted the drive into the operating pad, Edward turned back to his king and nodded. "Spencer confirms the fund-raiser, a dinner event for a new library in the Elgarve province of the Nodic March. And in appearance, your niece was present. His sources indicate this was performed by a double in her employ. While national attention - as well as the Royal Family's - was focused on your father-in-law's funeral, she boarded a flight with a number of handpicked followers and flew to Ancyra. There she held a closed meeting with members of Duke Rudolf's Marcher government. Our source was not present in the room for the meeting, however. Only she, and an officer from the Sancshire Fusiliers, entered the room and left it."

Kevan suppressed the anger that boiled up from his gut, and narrowed his blue eyes nearly shut. "Before we review the report, let me call Lancing in here." The King toggled a button on the massive desk and spoke, "Find Lancing Weathers and ask him to join me in my office, please."

Though there was no reply, he knew the aide on the receiving side would be moving with speed to have the King's Champion located and informed of His Majesty's message. And in fact, it was not long before he arrived.

Guardsmen swung open the heavy doors to allow the King's Champion, who was both friend and advisor to Kevan Blackledge. He was a slightly older man, say five years or so, but unlike Edward Northcott he maintained a power of presence that overcame any appearance of age. Under one arm he carried a packet of folders and papers stamped with the Ministry of Defence seal. Like both his sons, Weathers was fit and possessed a handsome quality that played well in public events. Lancing held a warm grin, though it slackened as he saw the faces of his King and Ned. "Troubles, Kevan?"

Kevan felt his own spirits recover somewhat, and forced a smile of his own to even his mood.

Edward was also pleased to see the King's Champion. Weathers was a career soldier with no interest in politics and who hated the wheeling and dealing forced on Kevan Blackledge and his Government, but still had strong instincts in such matters. Their friendship went back into Kevan's youth, when Lancing Weathers had been best friend and ADC to the King's now-deceased elder brother. When Robert Blackledge fell, Weathers had sworn himself to Kevan. The rest, a career as a field officer in the Great Nodic War, the following Chase Campaign, and the rest was history.

The King waved Weathers to a chair. "Ned has brought unpleasant news from his boys in MIIO. Most unpleasant information regarding Princess Sylvia."

Leaning back with a bemused expression on his face, Lancing Weathers laid the packet he had been carrying on the King's desk and tapped it twice. "DMI collated this with work from MIIO. I have a sinking suspicion it is relevant."

"It may well be," Edward said with resignation. He dimmed the lights and turns on the monitor. The seal of the MIIO briefly flashed across the screen before transitioning to a photograph of a leftenant colonel in service dress. "This is leftenant colonel Gonville Walsh, at present commander of the Sancshire Fusilier's number two battalion." He clicked a button and the image changed to a man in civil service dress. "This is L.B.H. Dawson, a senior executive officer in the Foreign Office." Another click. "Nigel Dyson, assistant commissioner for the police here in the capital."

Several clicks later, Edward paused. "All of these individuals have been observed in private conferences with Princess Sylvia either here in the capital or at locales relative to her estate in Sancshire. All the information collected points to the formulation of a plot to see her placed in position to succeed the throne, Majesty."

How could she be doing this? Kevan was beside himself with a mixture of horror and anger. Her father and I - my brother! - were as close as brothers could possibly be. When Robert had died, I swore to keep his only child safe. Sylvia was raised with her younger cousins, showered with love. Though the laws of succession - and the political crisis of the time - had thrust the throne on me, I never sought to deny Sylvia anything of her birthright. I gave her the Duchy of Sancshire and Grand Duchy of Novyrus to assuage any feelings of inferiority she may have had. Had I missed something?
Looking at his Champion and his chief intelligence minister, Kevan cleared his head and spoke. "Gentlemen, thoughts? Are there any indications from your people that this... would-be plot has spread?"

Edward quickly shook his head, the curious rapidity offset by the confidence in his voice. "No, Majesty. There are the disaffected and the ambitious, but they are an idle threat. The people of the Realm see you as Princess Sylvia's savior, not her usurper. The fact you've held off on arranging a marriage for her has been seen as a recognition of her intellect and independence."

The King's Champion rubbed at his greying beard. "You'll forgive me, Kevan, Your Majesty, but I see the influence here in Sylvia's mother. Robert was as much a brother in arms to me as he was a brother by blood to you, and I swore to keep his little girl safe. But Viktoriya Orloff was as ambitious a person as I ever met."

The memory of his sister-in-laws passing three years earlier to cancer ate his heart. Kevan looked at Ned, "She doesn't believe Viktoriya's death had anything to do with your people, does she?"

Shaking his head, Edward replied, "The conspiracy theory has no basis in reality, Majesty. MIIO has always preferred more direct methods anyway. It was a tragedy, but your niece is too clever to play into those theories." He stood up and poured himself a glass of water from the clear pitcher on the small table adjacent to the King's desk. "More likely her mother instilled a belief that the throne was Sylvia's from childhood. In Novyrus such things were not unheard of, and it wounded Viktoriya greatly when her nation was subsumed into the Realm at the end of the last war."

A thought occurred, and the possibility of it wounded Kevan. "My son, Winfred. He wrote to me of his absence at his grandfather's funeral, claiming extended training maneuvers." He paused.

Instead of Edward, it was Lancing who answered. "The young prince spoke truly. My own nephew had a tab on him. Deep swamp operations. He could have been extracted but he refused. Claimed he was needed with his fellow cadets. Admirable lad, Kevan."

Kevan smiled, and mentally kicked himself for doubting Winfred for even a moment. "It seems, gentlemen, that we must quash this would-be plot. I'd prefer it to be bloodless. These men have lost my favour, but as no actual treason has been committed it would be folly to waste them. I want them all reassigned. Lateral promotions, it would appear. As distant and isolated as the Realm allows for."

Lancing Weathers barked one loud laugh at the idea, "I've an outpost in mind for 2nd Battalion, Sancshire Fusiliers. Maybe garrisoning scorpions and rocks will keep Colonel Walsh occupied." Kevan and Edward joined him in a good laugh over that, and the atmosphere in the room felt considerably lightened.

But then Edward looked at the King. "You've not said anything about the location of the meeting, Majesty. Though it took place in Ancyra while Duke Rudolf was absent, aren't you concerned about his possible connection?"

Kevan shook his head with confidence. "No, Ned, I am not. My brother is a talented administrator and competent commander of soldiers. As we all in this room know, he was hurt by my leaving him out of the planning for the war against Greggor twenty-five years ago, but he does not bear grudges. More likely - and I look to your people to investigate this, Ned - Sylvia was meeting with those officials originally from Novyrus who found employment in the March government. No, Rudolf I trust implicitly."

Weathers nodded, and Edward found the logic of it solid. Novyrusite nationals would be central to any plot, and their proximity to Ancyra was a clear connection.

The King pressed the tips of his fingers together then, considering things for a moment, and then stood. "As for my niece, I think the time may be coming that she have a taste of some of the burden of responsibility she thinks she craves. If Grand Duchess of Novyrus and Duchess of Sancshire is insufficient, perhaps she needs a husband and family of her own to occupy her time."

Lancing Weathers and Edward Northcott smiled at their King. "We have only to search for likely candidates," Kevan said. "Let us begin."
Last edited by Blackledge on Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Cattle die, kinsmen die, and so shall you die, too. But one thing I know that never dies: the fame of a dead man’s deeds.

Blackledge
Ambassador

Postby Blackledge » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:17 pm

The Nagelring, outside Nagelhurst village

"Armour on the left, on the left!. Foxhole one, watch both sides!"
"Leftenant, heavy machinegun fire."
"Heavy casualties, medics are needed at position fox-mike-able."
"Wicket Two-One here, can you hold the line?"
"I can see them now."
"Wait, command-"
"We're not in position yet ground leader."
"Copy that, ground forces can you hold?"
"They're breaking through!"
"Here they come!"
"We got one, we need more time"
"I will do what I can, sir."
"Now! NOW!"

The sharp nudge to his shoulder reminded Michael that, while he dead tired, he was not dead. The simulated combat field training exercise had ended that morning. He had lived, as had most of his 'command' of cadets and regulars detached for such educational maneuvers. Sitting through Colonel Festing's after-action review, he realized dozing off would be in poor form. That'd be all I need, he thought.

"Cale, man." The familiar voice seated to Michael's right brought him back to the world in its entirety. In a hushed tone it continued: "Steady on, or you'll have Old Man Festing set to shake a flannin, eh?"

Michael blinked once or twice and shot Maxwell Ewell what he hoped was a confident grin. "Just trying to remember something, Max." He made a show of straightening his uniform jacket as he sat up in his seat, noting that none of the other seated cadets had caught on as they observed the colonel gesturing to the large map that adorned the wall. Well, no cadet except-

"Worn out, cadet leader? Try to pay attention. After all, some of us are." On his left Cadet officer Henry Hinchcliffe gave the prince a reproaching glare out of the corner of his eyes, a skill he seemed to have a talent for. Michael caught himself before returning the gesture, instead covering his annoyance with a look of honest admittance to his cadet executive officer. 'Yes I messed up, Henry. But then I didn't have your chance to catch a few before this review.' Not that arguing would be worth the effort. Henry Hinchcliffe was damnably correct.

The black-haired Maxwell took otherwise to the situation, raising his voice slightly. "You watch yourself, Hinchcliffe. It's nay secret you slept in while bricky here fought off barrels and foot. Why, I-"

A booming voice cut him off and filled the chamber. "Cadet Officer Ewell, you've something to add to my assessment of this iteration's signals section?" Colonel Charles Festing, tall, trim and yet impeccably threatening stood with swagger stick in hand, as if challenging Maxwell to prove his attentiveness.

True to nature, Ewell did not fail to rise to the task. Standing at attention, he said, "Aye, sir." In his pause for words, a handful of sniggers filled the silence. Before Maxwell could continue, Colonel Festing tapped his swagger stick against the wall-mounted map to cut off any distractions and Ewell's answer.

"Gentlemen." The colonel's voice was perhaps not as angry as Michael had expected. "I use that word because that is what you are. This is not your first year, and by the All-Father I'll not see you consumed by delusions of a promised graduation." Tucking the swagger stick under one arm, Festing raised his head. "You are tired. Most of you have not slept more than a handful of hours in days. If you expect to be the future leaders of men, you will govern your baser needs."

Colonel Festing swept his gaze across the cadets, before resting it on Michael. "Cadet leader, I hold your platoon's discipline accountable to you." Michael joined Maxwell in standing at attention as the Colonel continued, "Your decisions during the Barrel Roll Exercise blunted the OpFor's attack. An older tactic."

"Yes, sir." Michael cleared his throat. "As you know, my force was dismounted and had minimal support. With armour attempting to mass for a flanking assault, we made a spoiling attack. With few anti-tank missiles left, I placed my best men in hunter groups based around launchers and 86s." He thought back to the past day of tense combat, however simulated it may have been.

"My men dug holes 75 to 125 meters apart. As the OpFor's vehicles approached to strike, we attacked in force. My force was able to destroy or disable enough of the OpFor's Ironhearts and barrels to buy time for support to arrive and dissuade the foe from testing us again."

With nod, the Colonel took in the room. "It is an alternate training scenario. Modern warfare is not so simple, as the lack of air support for your enemies demonstrated. But sometimes your troops will be lacking in support."

Michael felt the message reverberate within his head. Even in a simple dismounted scenario, his own losses had not been light. What if the fight had been real? How many would he have lost?

Festing seemed to be wrapping it up. "Many more field exercises await you, cadets. I promise each will be more complex than the last, until the final. But for today, you have rated adequate." The Colonel raised his voice. "Cadet leader! Take command of your troop."

Already standing, Michael called out: "Troop, attention!" Hinchcliffe, Dell, McCool and all the others jumped to their feet, and even Ewell somehow stood even more rigid. Colonel Festing donned his cap and strode out to the open door opposite the wall-mounted map and into the late afternoon sunlight.

Pausing, the Colonel spoke over his shoulder. "Ultimately, the lesson is always the same: men will die under your command, and how you spend their lives must be adequately balanced with the tactical or strategic gain achieved."

Caer Meath, Dunagall
Westlief March, Kingdom of Blackledge

"Colonel Beckett Weathers, reporting as ordered, sir." If the lack of enthusiasm for his recent promotion bothered the seated general officer before him, the man did not show it. Resplendent in his midnight-blue dress uniform of the Brigade of Guards, Beckett Weathers remained at attention. Blonde haired and green eyed, his friends joked he looked like a recruitment poster.

Leftenant General Ambrose MacInnes did not look up from the sheet of paper he was analyzing. With a stroke of a pen the general affixed his name to the document and set it aside. He made to begin reading another, but instead looked up as if first noting the young colonel before him. With an audible sigh he returned Beckett's salute, but did not bid him take a seat.

Beckett remained standing.

Finally the general spoke. "I do not have time for heroes, Colonel Weathers."

"Yes, sir."

"Do you know why you were promoted?" General MacInnes pressed his bloodless lips together in a look of irritation.

Not by the general's request, Beckett knew. The end of last year's campaign in Nueva Val Verde had been a bloody affair. A military success and a political failure. An embarrassment to the Guard.

Ambrose MacInnes' mood had never recovered. "I asked you a question, Colonel Weathers."

"Sir, I was promoted for the action that took place the December before last. As acting commander of the 3rd Guard's 2nd Regimental Combat Team. At the Battle of the Long Slope my Guardsmen were able to defeat a numerically superior force and capture the rebel leader." Beckett knew the wording on his promotion order down to the last punctuation mark.

"Your Guardsmen? His Majesty's Guardsmen, a division of which I am graced by the All-Father to command of." General MacInnes turned his attention to a framed picture on his wall, clearly his graduation class. "I have served in the Royal Brigade of Guards from the day I received my commission."

With slow deliberation, MacInnes looked back at Beckett. "How old are you?"

"Twenty-nine, sir." He said it with pride.

"A colonelcy at your age is unheard of in this day, Beckett." MacInnes stood and came around his desk, crossing his arms as he looked up at the taller colonel. "You may have guessed it, but I fought your promotion. The coincidence that led to Brigadier Devon being out of country at the time of the action, and Colonel Jackson's death, is what thrust you in the position of command."

The death of Colonel Jackson had been a blow to all the officers of the RCT. "Intelligence dropped the ball on the rebels, General. We'd been flying aircraft of all types for months before they shot down Colonel Jackson's helicopter. We'd never lost one yet."

MacInnes dismissed the statement with a flick of his eyes and crossed the room to look out his window. "And so you chose to take the fight back to the rebels?"

"It's what the Guard does, sir. The rebels had new weapons, but no new thoughts. From how they employed the weapons, we easily discovered their base of operations." Beckett Weathers closed his eyes and for a moment felt the heat of the jungle of Nueva Val Verde wash over him.

From their mountain stronghold the rebels thought they were impregnable. And so as acting RCT commander, Beckett had ordered the entire command into immediate offensive operations with an hour of Colonel Jackson's death. While Regional Command was still processing the information, Beckett's Guardsmen launched a series of ground and air assaults that cut the mountain off from the outside world.

Within a day colonial auxiliaries and troops from the Suthesian Foreign Legion arrived to back up the attack, at Command decided to expand Beckett Weather's operation. In the week that followed, a series of tactical air strikes pulverized and gutted the mountain. After that, 2nd RCT led the Legion and their colonials up and into the unimaginatively named Long Slope Mountain to cut the head off the rebellion.

Like that the battle, and ultimately the war, was over. But it had proved pointless in some eyes. The High Council had recommended, and His Majesty had concurred, to grant Nueva Val Verde independence. The two year campaign was over.

"And annihilated them," General MacInnes finished. "But at an unheard of cost. 35% casualties, most from your own 6th Battalion. Had you not captured "Generalissimo" Vargas and recovered the standard he stole from your command, your honour would never have been redeemed. Only the second standard ever taken from a unit of the Brigade of Guards in its history, I might add."

Beckett felt anger rise up in his gut. The loss of the standard did not need to be repeated. The leftenant in charge when it had been taken - by subterfuge instead of battle, no less! - had taken his own life in shame. Ninety-five Guardsmen killed in action and over five hundred wounded, most in those eight days of fighting.

"Sir," Beckett began, "we got the job done." He knew he'd done what was necessary. Without a swift reaction, the rebels would have begun picking off every aircraft that ventured too near their area of control.

The general did not turn back from the window. "Yes, Colonel. And fought the bloodiest single battle since the last Nodic War."

MacInnes turned around and gestured for Beckett Weathers to sit. "But the cost was too great. Your actions have won you a promotion out of a recognition for your potential. But your hastiness and thirst for vengeance cannot be overlooked."

Weathers swallowed and nodded in acknowledgement.

"The 3rd Guards Division has returned here to Caer Meath, but without our 2nd Regimental Combat Team. Marshal Ashford Weathers - your uncle, I believe - shares my dissatisfaction. While you recovered at Tavistock, 2nd BG was reduced. While still active on paper, all personnel were reassigned either to bring the rest of the Guards up to strength or given promotions in the other units of the Regular Army. On paper, the command has been seconded to the 782nd Guards Auxiliary at Carcyningas for cadre purposes." MacInnes' expression was one of no satisfaction.

Colonel Beckett Weathers felt empty. The entire RCT... what bullets and rockets had failed to do, a stroke of the pen had accomplished. "My men?"

"No blight on their honour, Weathers. No officers cashiered. As for your command, it will be reconstituted when the Marshal of the Guards sees fit." MacInnes frowned.

"And myself, sir?" A colonel without battalion or brigade? What would he be?

The hints of a smile tugged at the corners of Leftenant General Ambrose MacInnes' mouth. "You're young for the position you hold, Beckett. A six month tour of advanced officers training at the Nagelring is what I requested for you." MacInnes stood and extended the paper he had signed just as Weathers had entered his office. "Congratulations, Colonel. I know you'll make me proud. Your command depends on it."

Gingerly he reached forward and accepted the slip of orders. "Thank you, General MacInnes." He stood and saluted. And then I'll get my combat command back, he thought to himself.
Last edited by Blackledge on Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:06 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Blackledge
Ambassador

Postby Blackledge » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:37 pm

Dueling societies were an important part of young royalty and nobility. As one of the Proud Knives himself, the young prince knew he had expectations to live up to.

Michael lunged with his epee straight for Dorsey Cleburne's heart, only to be disappointed as Dorsey leapt back with graceful speed. Though his face gave away the strength behind Michael's attack, Dorsey parried and the sound of steel clashing with steel filled their ears. Dorsey spun back on the riposte, extending into a long-reaching attack that threatened to drive Michael down the fencing strip. With a grimace he pulled his sword back in time to defend, causing Dorsey's blade to glance off his hand-guard. Gambling, Michael stood his ground and immediately riposted with a high-line attack that made contact with Dorsey's shoulder.

"Touché!" Dorsey called out.

Both men stood back, and Michael stayed in a defensive stance a second longer than his opponent and friend. S. Dorsey Cleburne relaxed his posture and doffed his mask, causing Michael to do the same despite the instinctive training never to relax his guard on the fencing strip.
Prince Michael took a deep breath and collected himself. Dorsey had only improved his skill with a blade while at the Royal Academy of Military Sciences. He and Michael had commandeered Nagelring's fencing hall, staking out the center strip and acting as their own judges in a friendly match. Upper-body touches was the goal, first to five. Their heavy jackets - Michael's the dawn grey of Nagelring's cadet corps and Dorsey's the blue-grey of RAMS' - took the worst of the blows from the blunted-tip weapons. On the bleachers nearest the doors sat Max Ewell, sweat-covered and nursing a bottle of water. To Michael's left the lithe Kelly Northcott and tall Colonel Beckett Weathers were using a fencing strip of their own. Beckett "Bec" Weathers was giving the small cadet a run for his money, remind Michael that Bec had been on the '92 RAMS fencing team. The sound of the year's first hard rain against hall was like the sound of continuous applause.

Lifting up his mask, Dorsey wiped sweat from his face and slicked back his wet, jet-black hair. "You've improved your form, Highness. I guess you earned your place on the fencing team here." His easy grin kept the comment from striking a nerve.

"And you're just as skilled as ever," Michael said between heavy breaths. Just like you are at everything, he reminded himself. Though of equal height and even build, Dorsey had a natural talent with blades.

"Do you keep in practice with my brother?" Michael asked as he donned his mask and returned to a starting position. He made a mental note not to overexert himself, lest he fall asleep at the Spring Festival party that night.

Dorsey matched him in form, saluting with his signature slash. He dropped down into guard position and waited for Michael to make the first move. "Winfred keeps his own companions, as you know. I know you wanted to follow in your father's footsteps here, Cale, but it's been a bore without you. RAMS should have been your school," Dorsey said with a sigh.

Michael obliged his opponent's position by moving first, only to fall back as Dorsey countered in faster than expected. "You mean life at RAMS wasn't all dinner parties and dates," Michael asked, riposting. Even the muffling effect of the mask did not disguise his jesting tone.

Retaining a defensive position and keeping to parries, Dorsey stood his ground.
"I know I was never the talkative one, but with graduation approaching a regimental selections being cemented, Kelly and I were curious." Dorsey made a feint to keep Michael on his toes, only to return to parrying. "I owe you a lot, Highness."

"No, Dorsey, I'm the one who owes you."
The blunted tip of Michael's foil slapped off Dorsey’s heavy, embroidered glove, and he curse himself for becoming distracted.

"Touché!" Dorsey again doffed his mask and held it under his free arm. "What are you talk about? Your family took me in, paid for my schooling even over my own pride-ridden objections."

Michael kept his own mask on, lost in thoughts his childhood friend had caused to boil up. Yes, Dorsey Cleburne's situation owed much to the Royal Family, and Michael's own requests. King Kevan had been insistent that his son be raised among the common people of his nation. To that end, he had joined a nearby troop of Youth Corps, Troop 55. In Troop 55 Michael, quickly nicknamed 'Cale,' had made friends who knew nothing of his royal birth. Dorsey had not been one of them, at least first.

Leaning into a defensive stance, Michael invited Dorsey to rejoin the fight as he spoke, "You knew something was different about me from the day I appeared, Dorsey. You helped me keep perspective. I wasn't the best at knots or archery or anything just because I'm a prince of the Realm."

"If I recall correctly, Cale, you were introverted and I was a bully. An award winning match," Dorsey said, now only half-grinning. "And we know why."

Because you're an orphan, S. Dorsey Cleburne. An orphan because of the war my father waged over two decades ago. A stray artillery round, one of ours or maybe one of theirs, destroyed your village and known family. Well, except for your father, who died in Operation RETURN ENGAGEMENT. Maybe you didn't know I was a prince, but you had every reason to be angry at the world.

In a blur, Dorsey donned his mask and unleashed a whirlwind of attacks, and Michael was retreating. Feints and counter-thrusts were exchanged as the Prince tried to regain the initiative. He knew talking gave Dorsey, the overall better fighter, more of an advantage.

"You were the one who changed things, Dorsey," he grunted. "Point! Damn." Michael whipped the mask off as he turned around, recovering from his opponent's artful strike to his upper chest.

Dorsey spun about himself, returning to the starting position. "That's one version of it, Cale. But it isn't that easy. You had a hard time in that troop when you first started. It was your adventure with Bethan that changed everything, I think. It made me realize how much of a child I was acting... even if I was a child at the time."

They saluted each other, and Michael put his mask back on. Michael knew Dorsey was watching for his telltale give-away of an imminent attack. The Prince knew his sword arm tensed up.

"That's what I'm talking about. If it hadn't been for you, I wouldn't have gone after Bethan. We wouldn't have run away, and then you wouldn't have rescued us in end, Dorsey. See?" Michael's muffled voice held a smile. "It was all your work. That night I spent with her on New Andover Island was, well, you should remember. You were there when we were found."

Michael feinted and lunged and was neatly impaled as Dorsey dipped low and riposted with a solid thrust to his collarbone.

"Point!" Michael called. "Four-three, your advantage."

"My advantage," Dorsey said.

Michael enjoyed such contests with his friends, but felt his blood rise. He was very much self-aware that he did not like to lose, and Dorsey used that to his advantage.

"Are you still... with her?" Dorsey asked as they saluted each other, preparing to begin again.

The Prince began with a feint and thrust, intent on keeping the momentum and keeping Dorsey off-balance.
"I was her date to the Winter Solstice Ball, if you recall?" Michael reminded him, trading parries and thrusts. He knew his opponent was intent on distracting him. "Of course I was incognito. As were you."

It was after that youthful summer, his first in Troop 55, that Dorsey had gained a newfound future. Being fostered by a local constable, he'd had a modest future awaiting him. But Michael wanted real friends close by, and his Royal father agreed. King Kevan saw to it that the young Dorsey's education was seen to, and Michael spent every summer at that island with his Troop and his friends, including Bethan.

Memories of the last time he was able to see Bethan clashed with Michael's focus, causing his sword strikes to become almost reckless. Dorsey picked up on this, speaking with a needling tone. "It would have been quite the story, the Prince of Afallon in disguise escorting an Initiate of the Faith to a celebration of life."

Michael lunged, but overreached. Dorsey glanced Michael's stroke aside, tripping him. The Prince stumbled to one knee, letting his sword-hand as he tried to catch himself. Dorsey's sword sailed in with slow, easy grace, tapping his prince on the chest just above his heart.

"Touché," Dorsey said casually. "Match."

Michael picked himself up and doffed his mask. "I love her, Dorsey. I've loved her since the first day I we spoke. We've been pen-pals for over ten years."

Dorsey shook his head "After that summer adventure you had, I'd have thought you took your father's message to heart." He stepped back, saluted with his signature slash, and removed his own mask.

Kelly Northcott, nicknamed "Buck" by his friends to compensate for his feminine-sounding name, and Bec Weathers seemed to have finished their own fight and were approaching. Maxwell Ewell saw things wrapping up and was descending the bleachers. Colonel "Bec" Weathers, who had come to the academy for advanced officer's courses but quickly become a member of their dueling circle, had a cock-sure grin over his victory. Kelly, sandy-haired and green-eyed, was no doubt a spirited opponent, but hardly up to Bec's skill level. Kelly was never one to shy from a fight. "Come on, Cale, Dorsey. I've embarrassed the Colonel enough," - Bec Weathers laughed at that - "let's go get some caff."

Dropping his voice so only Michael could hear, Dorsey continued: "You're a prince of the Realm, Cale." His blue eyes held sympathy for Michael. "Your duties outweigh love."
Last edited by Blackledge on Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:04 am, edited 5 times in total.

Blackledge
Ambassador

Postby Blackledge » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:58 am

"Working late again, Your Majesty?" Edward Northcott strode into the King's planning chamber, a stack of blue papers in one arm. Dressed in the simple dark suit so common to ministerial employees, he knew he hardly stuck out to anyone.

The halls of the palace were mostly empty aside from a handful of servants maintaining their nightly duties. Uniformed Guardsmen stood watch over the most prominent entrances and exits, while their Special Directorate brethren maintained a more low-key vigil as plain-clothed or suited servants.

Kevan Blackledge looked up momentarily to acknowledge Northcott's remark before returning to the screen of his personal computer. His Majesty's appearance would probably have surprised some, with grey-streaked auburn hair mussed and wearing a simple robe over a shirt and trousers. Edward noticed the King's suit jacket and shoes tossed on a nearby chair.

The Intelligence minister strode across the room, and heard the Guardsmen close the heavy bronze doors behind him. Edward approached the King's desk, and stood still. He felt a slight weariness in his bones, his body's way of telling him he was too old to keep these long nights.

"The party went well?" Edward asked, a slight prodding tone in his voice.

Kevan glanced up, barely concealing his smile with a scowl. "Oh quite well, Ned. Though the next time SoapStone-Tredegar Industries has such an event, I'm considering sending you. Her Majesty had reason enough not to attend, what with the Young Maidens League meeting she was chairing. So you can guess who had the honour of so many first dances through the night."

With an exasperated chuckle, Kevan took a moment to lean back from the screen and stretch. "I feel like my feet are going to fall off."

Edward shared the King's humor with a smile, and took a seat as Kevan waved him to do. Kevan inclined his head to the paper's Northcott carried. "What have you there?"

"Report from the Navy. Admiral Mainwaring had hoped to personally brief you on it, but he's still in a meeting with the Marshal of the Armies. So I intercepted him and offered to carry on the memo." Edward tilted his head to one side. "It seems the Navy is very pleased with the new Shears-class destroyer-monitor."

"Mmhmm," Kevan replied. He remembered the project well. A next-generation destroyer platform, designed with a multi-role capability and stealth properties. But it was the other item Ned had mentioned that caught his interest.

"Dominic is still up in the Wolf's Den?" The Marshal of the Armies had just completed a week-long field training exercise with the local Territorial division, nicknamed 'The Little Wolves.'

His Intelligence minister nodded. "I said the same thing to him, Majesty. Can you guess what he said?"

Kevan shook his head.

Northcott deepened his voice, clearly trying for a correct impression, "'If I can't clear a little paperwork after only a week in the bush, what good will I be in a real war?'" Both men chuckled. Edward continued, "I'm glad he's on our side, Majesty. I sometimes wonder about age catching up, though." He ran a hand through his white shock of hair.

King Kevan smiled. "We're not old, Ned, we're just wiser. You get some grey with that."

"Well then I must be wisest, since I've progressed to snow-white."

A thought occurred to Kevan then, and his mood shifted. His smile faded as he turned serious. "Any word on Melissa and Rudolf's trip to Valyria?" The thought of his eldest daughter in a foreign land was uncomfortable, and again he felt like criticizing himself for allowing her.

"They confirmed a safe travel, and Major Montbard had their driver send a signal upon their arrival at this Emperor Napoleon's palace. My people are with the motorcade and on the ground. We aren't blind." The MIIO minister did not say what hung in the air, that some eyes and muscle on the ground wouldn't prevent tragedy if their host for some reason chose to turn on them.

"I'm not sure if it will ever quite quit me, you know," Kevan said softly, "this distrust of foreigners. Even after two decades."

Reaching out and knocking on the solid oak desk twice, Edward Northcott was reassuring. "My people cleared this Emperor Napoleon and the event, security-wise. The invitation was unexpected, but remember, however ironic this may be, that our relative obscurity is a protective shroud. Your brother and Princess Melissa aren't important to these people. Well, yet."

"Rudolf may yet change that," Kevan remarked, more power back in his voice. "He's had a way with people in the past. New lines of commerce, diplomacy..."

Edward's head bobbed up and down. "And Melissa may find suitors. It could benefit the Realm immensely." He rubbed his left hand against his pointed chin, considering the ramifications.

"Michael may have been better, if that's what you're considering, Ned. But I couldn't pull him away from his studies for this." The King frowned. "Plus Melissa has always had an interest in foreign lands. She's the only one who speaks French decently."

The King gestured to his screen. "I was actually just reading a message from Michael when you entered. Their last break before final examinations is coming up, so he'll be returning here for a few days. Hopefully Rudolf and Melissa will be back by then."

"Returning here, Majesty?" Edward asked.

Kevan quashed a grin before it appeared. "You think he's coming to see her?"

His Intelligence minister shrugged. "Both of them seem to think their young romance has gone undetected. From what you told me, they swore to run away and adventure when they were young. With that not possible, she entered the Faith as an initiate around the same time he went to the Nagelring. Every time he gets leave, he comes back. And she's visited him just as often there. After all, why not? Initiates of the Faith know no boundaries to their travels."

Giving Edward a curious look, the King leaned forward and narrowed his eyes slightly. "You haven't been spying on them more than that, have you?"

Northcott laughed, "No, Majesty, my people aren't peeping-Toms. But by your own direction we've kept tabs on the young Prince and his contacts." Edward almost stopped there, but continued, "And this young lady is a very fitting match for Prince Michael."

"You forget yourself, Minister," Kevan quickly said, and instantly felt a measure of shame for criticizing Ned on this issue. But he too continued, "Michael has to find a marriage of political gain for Realm."

"Forgive me, Majesty."

"No... forgive me, Ned. I should not have reacted so. You've been like an uncle to Michael all his life, I know you only wish the best. Your grandson Kelly is perhaps his best friend. I just..." Kevan stood and turned to look out a nearby window, giving him a view down the mountain and over the capital city. "If I let them be together, I don't know what it may cost us. The War, the Verde Rebellion, the ongoing occupation... We're no slouch, but only the All-Father can be everywhere at once." Kevan felt the weight of his duties on him, as heavy as ever.

Northcott reached over and pressed a button on the desk, signaling a secretary. He ordered them some tea and went to stand next to the King.

"It's not all that bad. And though I did not mean to raise this issue, perhaps it's something you should finalize with Michael. This girl is sweet and dear to him, but if you mean for him to take a foreign bride, it's definitely time to start looking." Edward patted the King on the shoulder a couple times, then turned strode down the room. He was a pacer.

The King gave a small laugh. "Michael will be a subaltern this year. Still learning his responsibilities. Maybe a few more months."

Edward did not answer, instead heading to the door and taking the tray with the tea that a palace servant was delivering. He calmly assured the young lady he had delivery in hand, and sent her on her way. The Intelligence minister placed the tray on the central rounded table in the chamber and fixed two cups.

When completed, he brought one to the King, who wordlessly thanked him, and sat down himself. Kevan was still looking out the window.

"My other children will be needing to find matches, sooner or later. I've considered sooner for Winfred, though he's even more stubborn than Michael about these things. He doesn't even hide his relationships." The usual stories on who Prince Winfred was seeing were big sellers for the second-rate papers, though the respectable journals rarely bothered themselves with such rubbish. Of course, the King reminded himself, they gain access to interviews with the Royal Family by ingratiating themselves.

Michael in a secret romance, Winfred set to graduate a semester early from RAMS, Melissa a lady-grown, and even Elsa and Arthur on their way to adulthood. Where did the time go? Wasn't it just yesterday I was teaching Cale and Winnie to swim on the beaches of New Avalon?

Kevan came around and sat at the round table alongside Edward. The minister was sipping his tea. Kevan had not touched his.

"What do you know about this government under Emperor Napoleon?"

Northcott shrugged. "It's new. The head man came to power through a civil war several years ago. He seems to be popular, a prominent supporter of their national church, and something of a reformer."

"What do you think his interest with us is?"

"Hard to say, Majesty. The event our diplomatic office received an invitation for is this Emperor's own wedding, so a high-level dynastic union seems unlikely. He's apparently marrying into another regional monarchy, perhaps to gain a measure of legitimacy for his new government."

Northcott looked down, as if in thought, then with a tone of humor said, "Perhaps it's just merely good diplomacy he's after. No-strings attached." He held up a hand to forestall the King's reply. "I know, Kevan, but even such things are possible, however unlikely."

The idea was intriguing to Kevan, and he took a moment to consider it. Opening purely benevolent relations would be great, as well as the new markets it would open up.

Slowly, the nucleus of an idea began to form in his head, and Kevan smiled at the idea. Northcott looked confused, but didn't ask.

Shifting the focus of the conversation, Kevan asked, "Anything new on Sylvia?"

Last edited by Blackledge on Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Blackledge
Ambassador

Postby Blackledge » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:50 am

"God has endowed the Blackledgic race with a worldwide empire, that we may work His will throughout the world. In the name of Christ and Hunter, so shall we endeavor to maintain it."

Bec Weathers blinked once or twice, and then realized the Chief Warrant Officer was finished speaking. The white-haired CWO was the Nagelring's senior presbyter for the Afallonian Catholic Church, and not a bad speaker entirely. Age and experience had their perks, and from the looks on those gathered in the hall the CWO had been inspiring.

The Colonel's mind had wandered, however, and now he felt his spiritual self lacking. Officers and cadets were breaking up into groups now and leaving, the hall was filled with their subdued voices. The CWO had removed his tippet and was reverently folding it.

Angry with himself, Colonel Weather stood up to leave the hall without a word to anyone. He retrieved his jacket and crusher cap and strode out into the bright spring day. On the grounds of the school cadets were sparse, with many already away for their last brief session of leave before final examinations. Many already suspected what postings they had earned, and with which regiment or command. Chandigarh was a popular choice for new cadets. Nueva Val Verde had been, as well. Few wanted the boring tranquility of Colleton or the stable monotony of the Nodic garrisons. Bec couldn't blame them.

He affixed his cap on and strode along one of the marked paths that separated the well-kept grounds and structures, overwhelmingly focused on thoughts other than the sermon. It was a lucky thing that the section of grounds where the chapel and the eahl sat was a no-salute zone. Far easier to think without waving his arm around every few minutes. Not that there many people around.

Not for the first time, Bec momentarily considered why he was a member of the Afallonian Catholic Church, a minority religion compared to the Faith that gave the kingdom he served its name. Even Christianity could not conquer Old Afallon, and instead found itself conquered by the ancient culture that had dominated the upbringing of the prophet Hunter. Old and new had combined to generate a version of Christianity that Bec assumed foreign churches would call heretical, a fact that probably brought no end of confusion to the Patriarch in Laurel.

Lost in thought, his feet guided him to the fencing grounds that so lately had been his haunt at the school. His advanced course for brigadier administration and leadership was going well, but once again Bec was reminded that his age have proven an obstacle. Despite his reputation and position in the Brigade of Guards, his youth often made it difficult to connect with his fellow officers of similar rank and position.

Thinking aloud as he casually strolled towards the doorway of fencing auditorium, he said, "So I end up relating to a bunch of wetnose soon-to-be-subalterns. If General MacInnes could see me now..."

Pulling the door open, he was greeted with the sound of a duel in progress. There were only two of them, a flurry of lunges and tactical retreats going back and forth. Bec glanced around and took in the sight of the empty seats.

"Cleburne and Northcott have already left?" He called out, and saw one of the two figures cease a lunge in progress and straighten up to turn his way. The figure's opponent either didn't hear or didn't want to miss an opportunity, and delivered a strike.

"Ouch! By the-" The now 'dead' figure took a step back and doffed his mask. "By the All-Father, Maxwell..." Prince Michael looked annoyed, though more at his distraction than by the blow.

Maxwell Ewell doffed his own mask and didn't hide his smile. "Ye did nae say anythin' abit stoppin', Cale." The cadet from Skye turned and grinned at Bec. "Cheers fur th' openin', Colonel. He hud mah back tae th' dyke." Ewell walked over to where he had placed a water bottle and proceeded to drain it.

Colonel Weathers gave the Prince a good natured punch on the arm. "You need to stay focused, Cadet."

The Prince smiled sheepishly. "It's been busy lately. I've considered staying here over leave to study. Hinchcliffe and Dell are."

At that, Ewell lowered his water bottle and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. "Oh nae ye don't. Not efter aw I've hud tae haur abit yer lassie back in Laurel. Yoo're gonnae gie yer fix, ur I'll drag ye thaur myself. Don't hink th' colonel wulnae help me, tay."

Bec laughed. "I have to agree with Ewell here. Plus Cleburne and Northcott are back at RAMS, only a short distance from the capital. With your posting coming up, it may the last time you get to see them for a while, especially your sweetheart." He straightened up, casually walked over to the seats and sat down. "In fact, I'm surprised you're both still here. I thought you'd have left this morning with the others."

"I had meant to," Michael said, "but our train leaves this afternoon. Maxwell and I were actually heading back to change and pack after this round."

"A roon which Ah won," Maxwell said with a chortle. The Skyean cadet join Bec and took a seat on the stands while he caught his breath.

The Prince narrowed his eyes jokingly, "Next time, next time." He retrieved his own water bottle and took a drink. He then eyed Bec. "What are you doing here, Colonel?"

"Well the padre finished services and my feet took to wandering." Bec shrugged. "I assumed you two were gone, so I was just finding somewhere to think a while." How's the Third Guard holding up without me, I wonder. The last conversation I had with Brigadier Devon, he had been reassigned to Training Command and the 2nd RCT was still stuck with 782nd Auxiliary.

Maxwell Ewell nodded and took another drink of water, while the Prince glanced about. "We're about to head out in any regard, Colonel Weathers."

Both cadets began gathering up their things. Beckett realized he was acting unduly morose for his rank, but knew each had a schedule to keep regardless. No point asking to watch another duel, nor participate in one.

He held up a hand to forestall the Prince's departure. "Your unit assignment, Michael. I know the top graduating cadets have already been informed." Bec inclined his head. "Tell me, what did you get?"

Prince Michael Blackledge paused for moment, then made eye contact. "Not the Guards, if that's what you're asking. The 13th Hattiesburg Regiment, most likely the mechanized RCT attached with 11th Armoured."

"That's occupation duty," Beckett observed.

"It's my duty," Michael responded, sounding less subdued about the prospects than Bec would have imagined. Especially if that girl wasn't joining the camp followers, so to speak.

Bec gestured with his head in Ewell's direction. "And your friends?"

At that, Maxwell Ewell spoke for himself. "Brigade ay guards, I'll hae ye ken. Rhodes Guards infantry, Lecht Guards Division." His ruddy face seemed barely able to contain the grin. "As fur th' others..."

The Prince picked it up from there. "... Buck got one of the Para regiments, 6th Airborne. And Cleburne is 13th Hattiesburg as well. All-in-all, good assignments."

It made sense now. It was one thing to be sent to join a new unit alone, but Dorsey Cleburne was probably the Prince's best friend. "That's a lucky coincidence, Cadet Blackledge," Bec said with a more curious tone than he'd intended.

"I didn't ask my father or cousin for anything, Colonel." Michael seemed adamant, but if offended he concealed it well.

Bec dismissed any hint of insinuation of string-pulling with a wave. "I meant nothing by it. Just good fortune. You'll be glad to have it when you reach your unit." He stood suddenly, feeling a new purpose within. A soldier needs his comrades, and an officer needs his command. "I have a call to make, I just realized."

Both cadets stood and made for the doors. Bec stopped and clapped Michael on the shoulder. "If I don't see you again before you leave, young Prince, enjoy your leave. And don't worry about your exams when you get back. Compared to active service, all this," He gestured to the school, "is a walk in the park."

The Wolf's Den, outside of Laurel

Outside a gentle spring rain had provided a constant back noise, constant and calming. But this deep underground, approaching a soundproof room, and the only noise was boots on carpeted floors and the mixed conversations that floated out of the planning room. As the door was fully opened, those conversations changed to respectful silence. Lancing Weathers and Dominic Blackledge preceded Kevan as he calmly strolled entered the room.

His Majesty made his way to his customary seat at the head of the table. The King's Champion paused to close the door and activate the security apparatus that ensured there could be no eavesdropping, intentional or otherwise, on what was said in this room. Deep within the core of Mount Blackledge sat the primary military command center for the Realm, the Wolf's Den. Within and on the mountain itself two battalions of the Brigade of Guards maintained security, in addition to countless Regular Army security forces and MIIO operators.

Already at the table were the members of the Privy Council. Those serving in the Armed Forces stood to attention, with respectful and proud bearings. The civilian members of government, ministers and representatives from the High Council, stood more slowly but with no less respect. Each of the major ministries, military departments and regional commands was represented either by its head or by a deputy. Except for three, all were male. The Minister for Foreign and Colonial Affairs, the Duchess Imogen Lancaster, stood out both for her quiet intelligence as well as her beauty. Miss Valerie Crowden also stood out, but more for her position as the elected member-at-large for the Privy Council and her status as a freeholder. Finally there was Galina Mikhailovich Denisova, Vice Minister for Novyrus, and Princess Sylvia's appointed deputy.

King Kevan took his seat. "Good morning," he said mildly. Dominic and Lancing found their seats nodded acknowledgments at fellow service officers.

There was an underlying smell of cologne, cigars and sweat, all common with soldiers and sailors. Threatening to challenge that smell was a hint of perfume. Kevan discarded the urge to guess if it was Duchess Imogen, Miss Valerie, or Vice Minister Denisova who was putting on the show. The room was paneled in rich walnut, with one entire wall featuring sliding panels that revealed a massive flat-screen monitor. Flags representing each of the regional commands lined opposite sides of the walls perpendicular to the wall with the monitor. Behind his seat, to his left and right, were the Realm and State flags; one the well-known crowned birch and laurels, the other the official tricolour. He could tell some of the ministers were not fully comfortable with the number of senior admirals and marshals present.

Kevan waved a hand, and each man and both women took their seats. Though he technically acted as Supreme Marshall by dint of being Commander-in-Chief, Kevan had opted to wear a simple civilian suit without military accoutrement or lapel pin.
Sylvia was not present. Her appointed deputy filled the seat today.

"Yesterday," the King began, "the Anglican government of the Crown Commonwealth of Regnum Albion expressed its support that this Government be allowed to join the Beaufort Group. A gentleman's club, so to speak, of Auroran powers. I need not remind all of you the significance of this move. What are our options in Aurora?"

The first to respond was Admiral Nigel Gibson, head of the Department of Military Intelligence. His DMI was the martial counterpart to the civilian MIIO, and generally functioned well enough to dispel the old oxymoron quip. "Your Majesty, we have been analyzing the region, but it has been a low-priority concern at this time."

Kevan pressed both hands together, fingers spread, with his index fingers directly in front of his nose. "Elaborate, Nigel."

"Even cooperating with the MIIO, our workload has been running at high capacity for the last couple-three years. Operations in Nueva Val Verde only suspended some few months ago, and with our planned force reduction and removal in the Nodic states, DMI has had a full plate. Even so, we've attempted to maintain some ELINT and HUMINT sources in Eastern Aurora. Nothing we've found has reached dangerous conclusions."

Admiral Gibson paused, and Kevan knew it was because the man was not comfortable ever admitting something appeared safe. DMI did not operate in a universe where something was ever simply 'safe.' If something did not appear a threat, it was because facts were being missed.

"Before I commit the Realm to anything, we have to have the situation of regional stability in hand."

The Marshal of the Armies spoke up. "Your Majesty, I believe Admiral Gibson's assessment of the security situation has the general picture painted. A detailed version of his report is available, with the friendship of the Anglican government in hand I believe any overt challenges to our security would be diminished if not outright discouraged." Dominic was good at reading situations, Kevan knew. The man had been working with Admiral Gibson, reviewing the information before the meeting. A distaff cousin, Dominic had the distinctive deep blue eyes and auburn hair of the Blackledge Royal Family. And a keen mind. "Primary security threats seem focused in the Eastern Auroran sea, near our colony at Stenmark. The Valyrian Empire and New Edom are jockeying for some sort of hegemony over Seahold, sources indicate."

"I recall now. Some commotion over a dynastic marriage between Seahold and the Edomite Cornellians." And of course my eldest daughter and brother are visiting the empire that feels its regional security may be in danger. Could a diplomatic move there place Stenmark under threat?

Lancing Weathers held his head up high, with one hand curled into a fist resting on the table. "A matter of equal concern, Majesty, is the reaction of the Commonwealth of Norvenia. Admiral Gibson's DMI would indicate Norvenia has arisen to be the primary regional power. If a conflict is brewing between two rivals, we may be seeing a Norvenian hand involved. Some intelligence would suggest that the situation with Seahold is a reactionary move due to Norvenia's ADTO ambitions. Admiral Gibson?"

The Admiral nodded. "One report provided intelligence that Norvenia instigated the current situation with actions in Cornellia. This may be a move to spur a rising power, Valyria, into a extra-regional war and eliminate it as a threat."

"But how many of those reports are truly accurate?" Kevan asked. Dominic Blackledge frowned, and Admiral Gibson furrowed his brow.

"Any threat to colonial or Realm security must be addressed, Majesty, but with our growing involvement in Aurora it can become messy to fully discern the security situation." Dominic looked over the computer pad that sat before him on the table, and used a stylus to select a series of options. The panels covering the massive wall monitor slid open, and a map of Aurora was presented. The states of Norvenia, the Valyrian Empire, Seahold, Regnum Albion and Afalia stood out in primary colours, with all others faded as the background.
Regnum Albion and the Valyiran Empire gained dark blue glowing borders, indicating diplomatic initiatives and possible headway.

Dominic glanced around the room before settling his gaze on Kevan. "The Crown Commonwealth of Regnum Albion recently left the ADTO, and intelligence indicates relations with Norvenia have become strained. Feelers from the Valyrian Empire have expressed interest in friendship and formalizing of relations. The invitation to the Emperor Napoleon's wedding was part of this overture, the Foreign Office believes. Expanding relations with either of these two states is expected to generate conflicting relations with Norvenia. That possibility as an outcome must be expected if this council chooses that path."

Kevan considered this. "Still, with enough cooperation we may be able to isolate any potential threats in the region. This Beaufort Group I think presents such an opportunity. Other states may be able to have an effect on stability."

"Define 'effect,' Majesty," Dominic said. "Political support, men, materials—every nation has some stake in region and something to offer. Those not part of the Group may view it as the very threat to stability we're considering presenting a bulwark to. Our very involvement, as an extra-regional realm, could threaten to shift the balance of power, however unintentional."

"Why take us as a direct threat?" Marshal Vincent Thomas asked. The balding head of the Department of Military Education was no politician, and it showed. "If we wanted Seahold, for example, we could have taken it at any time in the last twenty years."

Lancing Weathers shook his head. The King's Champion kept his tone cool, so as to be informative without giving offence. "We've little information on the political climate in half these nations. For all we know, they could have tinpot dictators waiting for any bogeyman to wave around as a target. An overt show of political or military strength could prove unifying political agenda, regardless of the truth."

"It's true, both here or abroad our involvement need be done carefully or risk fallout," Kevan said. He also nodded at Lancing's veiled reference to the political maneuvering they still suspected Sylvia might be undertaking. With foreign entanglements still a political quagmire at home, Sylvia could attempt to use any unnecessary conflict or embarrassment as capital to rally supporters. Damage control over the debacle with Nueva Val Verde had only barely averted a scandal.

The minister seated on the opposite side of Dominic cleared his throat. The flag of Colleton was over his shoulder. Edward Northcott's white hair appeared to be thinning more noticeably now, but the hard stare of his grey eyes still appeared timeless.

"Minister Northcott, your thoughts are always valued and your silence has been thunderous." Kevan smiled, so no one would confuse his words for anything but good humour. "Speak."

Edward Northcott nodded. "This may be an opportunity we cannot pass up." His voice was sure, confident about it.

"An opportunity for what?" Admiral Gibson asked. DMI to the core, it was clear his focus on military threats and projections obscured his vision.

"Commerce, Admiral," Northcott said. MIIO was no stranger to economic sabotage and warfare, but Kevan knew his minister was speaking beyond that. "With the loss of NVV last year, we've had to rely more heavily on domestic production and Colleton's production for oil. Though our economic leaps forward over the last two decades have greatly reduced our fossil fuel footprint, the fact of the matter is oil is still essential to the manufacturing process of a great many items. And that is only one resource I believe it would be in our interests to secure alternative sources to."

"I had not considered that."

Northcott shrugged. "Most people don't. In working with Minister Tramontin," he nodded to Duke Brutus Tramontin, who gestured for Northcott to continue, "we've found Eastern Aurora to be rich in oil and natural gas deposits, including in the areas near Seahold and Stenmark. In addition, Minister Tramontin's people calculate strong possible returns for the export of vehicles, mechanical parts, computers and other electronics manufacture here. We've done a good job insulating our economy from outside dangers, but though healthy we can't expect it to grow much. There is potential here."

Kevan stopped Edward there. "So what would you do?"

"Push for an increased presence along the Aegir Archipelago. Begin offshore oil and natural gas mining and refining, and push for commerce agreements in Eastern Aurora. Seahold, Valyria, Regnum Albion and Afalia all represent solid investments, I believe, with good potential for export businesses. Perhaps even all other nations in the region."

"All but one," Dominic Blackledge said then. His voice was low and speculative. "There is one state we get enough chaff and stories on to demonstrate a perceptible hindrance."

"Norvenia?" Admiral Nigel Gibson asked.

Dominic nodded. "The report your DMI and the MIIO collaborated on, it made reference to a number of political economic doctrines the Norvenian government has instituted to unilaterally legislate on what is the 'international' community and what constitutes legitimacy. It appears to act more as a pretext-in-waiting for economic or conventional conflict, though that may remain to be seen. The fact we do not submit to the chaos of universal democracy may be one such excuse they would use to perpetrate a political campaign."

An interesting observation if true, Kevan considered. Given the deep frowns of half of the Privy Council, ironically including the elected portions, Dominic had just given them all the more to think about. Might this necessitate postponing a decision while more intelligence was gathered?

Kevan could not contain a smile. "It would be quite a claim to deny the diversity of this Government. The King's Champion is a Legitimist, Brutus is a Septemberist, Dominic is a Republican, Valerie is an elected Nationalist and I myself am a Socialist. There is only one Monarchist, Edward – and he is mad!" The ministers and service members of the Council all shared in the laughter, including Edward who took his ribbing with a grin.

"I suppose it would be too much to explain what an organic democracy is to a state run by a mob," Lancing quipped.

Minister Paul Hacker cocked his head to one side. "Mob-rule governments are carried on the whims of the lowest common constituency, they haven't the mindset for responsible government. 'Confidence from below, authority from above.'"

"Very good. But let's drive on, shall we?" Kevan's smile slackened slightly.

He leaned forward, casting his gaze on the assembled officers and minister. Finally his gaze fell on Vice Minister Galina Mikhailovich Denisova. "My niece did not inform me she would be missing a meeting of the Privy Council. I trust all is well, Vice Minister Denisova? This is quite unlike her."

"Her Highness was struck with the flu before our scheduled flight from Novo-Aleksandriya," Denisova said, attempting to conceal a tone of being uncomfortable.

"Ah, I see. I was not aware she had left Old Afallon, let alone returned to Novyrus. When she feels better, the Princess must come visit. My daughters miss her. You will let her know I send her my best?" Kevan suspected many of the Novyrusites owed their primary loyalties to his niece. She was the last in their imperial dynasty, as it were. But Denisova had attended this council before and was a competent individual. In reply, the Vice Minister nodded, though almost reluctantly.

"Excellent. Edward, Nigel, bring me more information on Eastern Aurora and Norvenia. That leaves us free to generate an appropriate measure of action." Kevan nodded to each intelligence head.

His Majesty leaned back in the chair, and glanced around to his other ministers and officers.
"Any new business?"
Last edited by Blackledge on Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Blackledge
Ambassador

Postby Blackledge » Wed May 07, 2014 9:05 am

Standing alone in her uncle's private planning chamber, she held her head high and stared out of one of the windows. There was a view of the courtyard before the main doors. Cousin Michael stood down there, speaking with several of his friends, looking clever in his cadet grey uniform. The sound of the door opening took her somewhat by surprise. She tossed her golden hair and looked over her right shoulder. Next to the door were the Realm and State flags, a constant reminder of her heritage.

My kingdom, my birthright. The grief of what had been denied me ate at my mother worse than the cancer that took her life. What would my father, scion of an ancient house of warrior royalty, think to see me living so placid a life. What would they think of me being summoned as a common minister of the Realm?

The soft light in the office cast shadows on her Uncle's fair complexion. He had the family's aquiline nose and cold blue eyes. In fact, he so resembled the photographs of her father that for an instant she felt at a loss for words. His smile seemed genuine, though she knew some predators assumed pleasing features. She smile in return, and turned to face him.

The King approached and embraced her, if only for an instant, before turning to the drinks cabinet. She saw him retrieve two glasses, and begin mixing something. "Do you understand, Sylvia, why I have asked you here? After we discuss this, I will have to decide whether or not you be replaced as Minister of Novyrus. Do you accept this?"

Sylvia did not blink, but calmly replied. "Yes, Uncle."

Kevan handed her one of the glasses, motioning for her to take a drink as he did so himself. "You have recently missed a high number of meetings of the Privy Council. Although your appointed deputy is a very qualified individual, I personally do not find this acceptable. For the Realm to function smoothly, we must have participation and understanding at all levels of government. Even if, on a personal level, members of the Privy Council do not find each other agreeable." The King paused, and for a moment Sylvia felt as if he were glimpsing into her soul. "We both know you're a very intelligent young lady. You know your duties. Talk to me as your uncle, the head of this family, not as the king. What's your explanation?"

Sylvia felt a lump in her stomach, but refused to give up anything. "It is nothing beyond what it appears. I'm flattered that you believe me to be so intelligent, but I'm quite young to be serving in the positions I am. Sometimes I fall behind in my work, and sometimes the stresses wear me down, making me ill..."

Her uncle studied her as he moved to take a seat at his huge desk. "It is a lot of work, I admit. But it's well within your capabilities. I wonder if you're taking it seriously enough. Your public itinerary mentions quite a few trips, from Novyrus to here to the Nodic territories. The strength to govern is in your blood. I was only your age when I was forced to take the throne. I executed a military campaign that brought an end to the Nodic Wars."

Stifling a mocking laugh, Sylvia stood silent. That wasn't the only thing you executed. Maybe you took the throne swiftly enough, but that did not rest well with everyone, especially my mother's people. You may think I forget but I still remember that night when I was ten years old. The purge you performed, no doubt at the urging of your Edward Northcott. I was a abed in the former Tsarist palace of Novyrus when the soldiers came. Some of them, including Uncle Rudolf, still wore their Guards dress blues with armour and kit, no doubt quickly roused from the quarters they had been given. Uncle Rudolf carried me to the waiting helicopter, and I saw the bodies of my stepfather's men littered about the halls and grounds. My mother and I were carried into captivity here and I was 21 before I saw Novyrus again.

Her silence did not provoke too much of a reaction from Kevan. He took a sip from his drink, and still seemed to be studying her as he spoke, "I understand things have not always gone for you as you would like. I think I understand loss in a similar way as you, Sylvia. We hashed this argument out countless times when you were a teenager here in the palace."

Sylvia looked at her drink and set it down, sitting near him. "If you want to go down this road... When King Curtis died, you held off on being crowned. The common story is that you did it out of respect for my grandfather, that you didn't want to be king. If you were satisfied not being king, why didn't you take the regency?"

She dismissed his attempt to reply with a wave of one hand. "You tasted the authority and decided you did want that crown and that throne."
If her uncle was angry at her interrupting him, something that was probably not common, he hid it. He smiled slightly, but it was still a smile. What is in his mind? Mother told me how things really happened. Is he proud of it?

"I think the answer is the very reason we're having this discussion. You'd never understand without living then, and even now it's hard to remember, but the Four Powers Alliance had us boxed in. Being king is not what some people think it to be. You value your independence, Sylvia, I know you do."

Sylvia scoffed. "You'd say you're doing me a favour?"

"Frankly, beloved niece, if only governing Novyrus leaves you ill, reigning over the whole of the Realm would not sit well with your stomach." He sounded almost amused.

Blushing, she accepted the rebuke with a sheepish grin by way of acknowledgement.

Her uncle nodded. "If I thought to trap you, I'd have arranged a marriage for you long ago, maybe even to your cousin Michael. You would rule as diarchs and get to spend the rest of your lives playing mother and father to hundreds of millions of subjects. Do you ever wonder why I haven't pressured you to marry? Why I let you pick your own schools, let you take your mother's place as Minister of Novyrus? It wasn't because I wanted you out of the way. You have a nature that would feel trapped as Queen." Kevan sighed. "I was the second son, never meant to be king. I thought about escaping the responsibility more than once after Robert died, but... Duty is as much a part of our blood as our noses."

Sylvia rested one of her hands on her uncle's. ""I think I understand what you're saying." She met his stare. "I stand by my explanation, however. But I will say I promise to endeavor to improve. My attendance will not be in question again."

The King seemed grateful at her response, and her heart leaped. In that instant, she knew that she'd found some weakness she could use against him. You claim your devotion to duty is why you couldn't quit the throne. You say it is in our blood. Then you should realize that as I share that blood trait, I could never quit my birthright.

Kevan's face had contorted into a frown. His change of subject surprised her, but she did not interrupt as he spoke. "Just as I could never force you to marry, I dread forcing Michael to. But he is still with that girl, you know the one."

This frightens you? Your heir marrying beneath his station? "I remember her. Bethan Vickers, daughter to some judge from the eastern coast. Not a bad family..."

The King shook his head slowly. "No, they're not a bad family at all. Good people, I have even met them before. But Michael cannot marry her. So long as he remains single, it is a political tool that may benefit the Realm."

Sylvia observed as her uncle set his glass aside and pushed it away lightly. "You are correct in that. Just as my parent's marriage bound their nations and gave you the troops you would need to end the wars, a union with Michael could accomplish any number of things. The same is true for Winfred, Melissa, and myself."

Her uncle nodded wearily. "We all have our duties." Suddenly he reached out and touch her hand in his, a powerful grip but without force or harm. "What the All-Father intended when he left you without siblings I can never guess, but you were as close to Melissa as sisters growing up. You love her." Somewhat taken aback, Sylvia's response was soft. "Of course, uncle."

His cold eyes bore into her. "That's the love I knew for Robert, and what I give on to you. You could stay here, Sylvia. I value your input. Your trips, meetings, whatever anger you still possess over me, it doesn't have to be like this. You could stay here, visit with Melissa and Elsa, work in a ministry here, choose who you want to marry." In his words she felt him feeling out her motives. How much did he think he knew? The damnable Northcott and his MIIO were undoubtedly still watching her people.

Syliva shook her head. "As you say, we all have our duties. Mine is to my mother's people, and the Realm. I should be going." When next we meet, I shall remember your kindness. Not that it can change the outcome.

Waving goodbye to Geoff and Kipp, Prince Michael turned back to enter the palace. It had been interesting encountering the two old men, Geoff and Kipp were employees of the Royal Family that had tended the gardens of the palace for years. Though not the only gardeners, they were two of the longest employed and known. Michael thought back to all the times he had seen Geoff fussing over the roses, or Kipp organizing how the hedges may be trimmed according to the Queen's wishes. Both men were widowers, having wed twins decades ago.

Michael chuckled to himself, remembering the times Melissa had conscripted the the two men into her garden tea parties with the her other friends. Geoff's flower knowledge captivated the girls, and Kipp could tell a story like no other. It always took the Queen to get Melissa to let the gardeners get back to their work. Well, not always their mother, Michael recalled. Cousin Sylvia had often been the ringleader of the girls in the palace.

He adjusted his cadet grey jacket and approached the doors of the Great Entrance Hall. The Guardsmen on duty went to positions of attention, but the doors were already open. It was a common practice in good weather, as ministers of state and palace employees came and went.
The Guard captain on duty gave an impromptu salute. "My Prince, it is good to see you again."

"And you, Captain Jackson. I trust all is well?" Michael returned the salute. "Spring cleaning already?"

"Yes, Highness. It's been an organized mess the last few days. Her Majesty is making preparations for the Court season." Captain Jackson, dark haired and on the short side for a Guardsman, gestured to the Hall where servants were working on ladders to dust and clean every corner.

Michael nodded. "I better be finding my father. Good day to you, Captain."

"And you, Highness."

At a brisk pace, the prince retraced the corridors and stairways of his childhood, greeting those he knew along the way. He paused to exchange words with the chamberlain, Simon York. Tall, fussy and precise, Simon also acted as Minister of Protocol for ceremonial and social occasions. It was Simon who had to make apologies and be on his way, since many palace duties remained.

In the antechamber to the corridor that hosted the rooms of the Royal Family he saw a number of men and women, some uniformed, waiting patiently. From their appearances and accents it wasn't difficult to realize that while some were Afallonian born and bred, many were Novyrusites.

The desk beside the double-door entrance was occupied by a middle-aged lady, Ms Watson. Although age threatened to creep up on her, she was still quite beautiful and Michael found himself slightly intimidated by her fair beauty, as he always had. She recognized him and smiled, motioning for a Guardsman to open the doors. The entourage of Novyrusites stirred slightly, and he noticed a few stare as he passed.

At the door to his father's planning chamber, he paused. The Guardsmen recognized him but did not open the door immediately. As he approached, the captain on duty stepped forward. "His Majesty is in a meeting, Highness. He asked not to be disturbed."

"Ah, I understand. Can you-" he began, but the heavy bronze doors swung open, and Michael found himself staring face to face with Sylvia. Fair and beautiful, she caught him off-guard, but he recovered. "Sylvia!" He enveloped her with a hug, which she returned.

She smiled at him, but her eyes seemed pale and cold. Ice eyes, like Father, he thought. "Cousin Michael, it is good to see you're well. Your father and I were just discussing you. I would love to stay and chat, but as I'm sure you noticed I am being waited on. Another time, Cale." Sylvia curtsied and strode off, tall and confident.

Michael hesitated out of a bit of confusion, and nodded as Sylvia walked away. "Another time, Sylvia." Shaking his head he turned and entered the planning chamber, pausing at the sound of the heavy doors swinging shut behind him.

"Father."

Kevan Blackledge glanced up from his computer. "Michael. I am glad you could make it." He stood up and stepped around the large desk, crossing the room to give Michael a brief embrace. "Your timing is interesting."

Gesturing to the corridor, Michael raised his eyebrows, "So I noticed. Sylvia hasn't visited in months. What was the occasion?"

"Business. But let's not discuss that. Your posting, you've learned what it is. Thoughts?" Kevan strode to where a map of the Nodic territories was pinned the wall. It was clearly an older map, still showing the former nations and boundaries from 25 years previous.

Michael swallowed. "What should I be thinking? Occupation duty with the 11th Armoured's mechanized infantry instead of seeing combat on the frontier somewhere. I want to be stationed where I can see some action!" He tried not to snarl his last statement, but failed.

It was Kevan's turn to raise an eyebrow. "You want to be fighting bandits and would-be rebels in Chandigarh or something?"

"Damned right, Father. You don't need troops in that part of Nod. By the All-Father, my troop of Youth Scouts could defend that area."

Michael thought for a moment, then thrust his finger at a map of Aurora conveniently placed on a table near the wall. "Stenmark. That's where you need me. The news says we've discussed massive oil reserves there, and nearby powers are starting to jockey for positions of control. I trained to fight, that's where the fight will come."

His father smiled, but shook his head.

At that, Michael felt confused. "Where is Lancing? Or Uncle Rudolf? Usually they're moving about in the palace, or in this room."

The King narrowed his cold, blue eyes. "In the past it may have been a very common thing to send one's heir out to the frontier and hope a fight started so he could prove himself. Not so anymore. Lancing Weathers is by now in Regnum Albion, initiating the first part of an agreement that I hope will secure our interests in that area. Your Uncle is returning from Valyria, having hopefully accomplished something similar."

Kevan's eyes focused beyond the map. "Nod is... Well, we're leaving Nod. Most of it. Within a year the local governments will have total control and all our assets will be withdrawn. This will be your only tour in Nod. And it is necessary because it is a part of your heritage to see what we did there. Why we've spent two decades there."

Turning back to his son, the King locked eyes. "Focus on your final examinations, and do your duty as a subaltern. You have your whole life to rotate through Chandigarh, Suthesia and all the other hot-spots."

Michael chewed his lower lip. "Was it you who approved Dorsey Cleburne's assignment to the 13th Hattiesburg? Rumor has it he was invited to the Kirklin Dragoons."

His father hesitated, maybe a bit surprised by the question. "Young Cleburne requested the assignment. I think he's eager to see the territories. You will be happy to know your old friend, Kilgore I think his name is, from Scouts is in the Hattiesburg Regiment."

"Kilgore? Dorsey will be glad to hear that." Michael smiled and felt his mood improve.

Kevan walked over and straightened the epaulet on Michael's left shoulder. "We still have one matter to discuss, son. I know your friends are down in the city waiting for you, and so is she."

Michael noticed the look of concern wash over his father's face. Bethan, again.

The prince looked up. "As long as I keep to my duties, what I do in my private time is no one's concern but mine."

Kevan shook his head. "You're a member of the Royal Family, and soon to be a serving officer in the Armed Forces of the Crown. You have no private time." Easing his tone to make it sound more even, his father continued: "You're my eldest son and I love you, Michael. But I am also your king and you need to obey me."

Michael's eyes narrowed, unconsciously mimicking the face his father made when concentrating. Of course I must. Do what's best for everyone, but me and Bethan. "Do you think I'll get her pregnant or something before I leave?"

Kevan threw back his head and. "I'm not so heartless that I'd try to order you not to be intimate with her. I know that in your hearts you wed each other a decade ago. If I order anything otherwise, I would probably just be encouraging you two. Go ahead, have a child with her. The child will be looked after. But whatever you do, do not marry her. Marriage is a tool of politics at our level, not love."

The King looked down onto his son's face. "When I wed your mother, I did so to secure Colleton's loyalty to the Realm, which was at risk of being undermined. I love your mother and respect her as a partner in marriage. Respect will take a relationship much further than simple youthful feelings."

A small smile tugged at the corners of the Prince's mouth. "I'll take what you said under consideration."

"Consider it an order from your commander-in-chief, Michael."

Kevan straightened up and retrieved his suit jacket. "Make sure you find your mother before you leave for the city. She'll be cross if you leave without saying hello."
Last edited by Blackledge on Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Blackledge
Ambassador

Postby Blackledge » Sat May 17, 2014 11:46 am

Royal Hotel Bern, City of Laurel

The ceiling fan spun lazily overhead, and Michael focused on one blade in particular. It felt like time slowed down if he watched only the one casually make its revolution. Even though the building had air conditioning, the was a pleasant routine in trying to feel every second more slowly. Laying across him, Bethan stirred. Her head was on his chest, her ear over his heart. Yes, Michael considered, every second was worth it. He brought his hand from her hair and down her back, feeling his fingertips brush against her velvety skin. She shivered involuntarily and giggled. Listening to his heartbeat, eyes closed, Bethan smiled.

"I think we're expected, Michael," she said throatily. "Unless you plan on ordering in..." Her eyes still closed, she stretched out with her right hand and took his left.

Michael closed his eyes once, forgetting about the revolutions of the ceiling fan, and began to sit up. "Right as usual. Can't leave them waiting."
"Especially when they came to see you. What time is it?" Bethan asked, picking herself up and crossing the room to her suitcase. Michael pointed to the clock on the table-stand and she made a face at him. They both laughed.

It took only a moment for them to each dress, helping each other as they went. Bethan wore a blue-and-white striped dress, with a slight V-neck that hinted at her bosom. Her chestnut hair was pulled back enough to allow for a small ponytail, but left her bangs in place. She noticed Michael watching her as she finished her hair and smiled. Blushing, however absurd it may have been to do so, he turned back to retrieve his jacket. It was a simply cut cadet grey frock coat, the last piece of his cadet dinner uniform. It held no rank devices, only the insignia of the Nagelring on the shoulder boards.

Finishing just before Bethan, he walked to the door of their room and held it open. "Miss, if you're ready..." He said grinning. With a faux-irritated expression she lightly punched him on the arm as she stepped by. Arm in arm they took the stairs down, whispering and laughing all the way. No one in the hotel paid them any attention. It was not unheard of for young soldiers - or in this case, cadets - and their girls to book a night or two. With training or overseas pay accumulated, who wouldn't want to treat their loved one to a stay at the nicest hotel in the capital?

The Royal Hotel Bern was, as far as Michael knew, the only one to bear a plaque of the Royal Family's sigil. Even for the small and simple room he had booked, the price was so great that even a single night's stay provided the guest with something of bragging rights. More importantly the staff had a famous, or infamous, policy of discretion, within the boundaries of law, of course.. A doorman or maid that told stories quickly found themself unemployed, and unable to find work at any similar establishment of quality. Not that the place wasn't crawling with "rat catchers" from MI5, Michael without bitterness. Any locale members of the High Council or a ministry may frequent had to be secure.

At the entrance the doorman, a surprisingly tall and fit man in his 50's, opened the door and tipped his hat as Michael and Bethan exited. With experienced subtlety, Michael slipped the man a ten-pound note. Doyle, the doorman, flashed an all-white grin. "Good day to you, Mr and Mrs Jackson." Turning left down the sidewalk, Michael kept Bethan on his left and the street to his right.

"And to you, Doyle!" Bethan called out as they walked on. The doorman tipped his hat again, before turning to focus on new guests. In the late afternoon sun the two strolled along the busy streets of Laurel, hand in hand. By the position of the sun and the brisk pace most people were now making, no doubt to head home and have supper, it was truly more early evening now. With broad avenues and few towers, they had a clear view of the sky. In the distance to the north Michael observed Mount Blackledge and the palace. Bethan glanced at the windows of the shops they passed, commenting a little on dresses she saw or restaurants that seemed nice. But it was the things left unsaid that were loudest. Michael concentrated on path in front of him, noticing from time to time she would turn away from the shops, look up at him and smile. He gave her hand a gentle squeeze.

Wolcott Square was transforming as they passed through it. The carts and public speakers were moving off, and the evening entertainment was setting up. A large portable ice rink was being brought in, while a string quartet established themselves at the base of Admiral Comyn's statue. Beneath other statues or near fountains were children playing, couples enjoying the evening air, two men in Air Force uniforms sat on a bench making sweeping arm gestures as they spoke to each other, and an artist sketching the scene. Across the Square was the Grand Eahl, and opposite it on the far side was the Royal Art Exhibition Gallery. To the east was the high arch of Fleet Gate. With somewhat a misleading name, Fleet Gate was a vast structure that housed government offices, including some Royal Navy departments.

When Bethan paused to pass an errant football back to some children with a firm kick, Michael quickly turned to a floral cart and lay a half-pound coin on its surface. He retrieved an orange rose and saw her looking around. Swiftly he approached, and though unable to take her by surprise he still surprised her with the flower. She smiled and nudged him. "This is why you wanted to walk?"

"And because I enjoy Wolcott Square in the evening."

"Come on," she said playfully. "I'm not the one that has to answer to Dorsey."

In truth, their destination was not much further away. The Meduseld, the warrior's mead hall, was probably the most famous club among servicemen in all the Armed Forces. It was also the only club not on a military installation that allowed patrons in uniform to drink. As such it was a popular spot for greying general officer and wet-nosed subaltern alike. In recent years it had opened up some to allow cadets near graduation to enter. Michael would never pretend to be an architect, but the design of the Meduseld reminded him of Gothic structures, with vaulted ceilings and spires.

Approaching it, Michael took the lead and guided her through the grand entrance. No one had obstructed them from entering. The doormen knew the types to look out for, and he and Bethan did not fit the description. Besides, once inside there were enough Sons of Woden to throw any troublemaker out on his ass.

The entrance hall was long, dimly lit and seemed cramped if judged by the outside size of the building. The interior was a stark contrast to its outward appearance, walled with logs and lit by braziers. At the final doorway, you realized that was not all the interior of the Meduseld was. Although the theme of an ancient mead hall was kept, on one side there was still a very modern dance floor and section for bands. Done in sections, the ground floor had long tables for communal activities, areas with smaller tables, and bars enough to pass the mead, ale and other drinks that flowed freely. In the center there was a grand staircase of oak that led to the second floor. On that floor was where the privileged met. No mere fresh faces could gain access. Only those decorated for valor or with a high enough grade of the Wound Badge were allowed.
For tonight, Michael ignored Valhalla and found his way to his friends. There they were, already drinking, laughing and sharing stories. Landon Izod spotted him first and called out. In an instant he was exchanging embraces and slapping old friends on the back, while Bethan, more restrained, exchanged compliments with the girls his friends had brought. Some had shown up stag, but were nonetheless gentlemen with Bethan, whom they knew.

"Dorsey," Michael exclaimed, as clasped hands with the last man, clad in a cadet grey uniform of a similar cut, "it's been too long."

Dorsey Cleburne snorted. "We were wondering if you'd ever make it. Held off getting food as long as we could." He shot a look to Bethan. "Cale here still like in the afternoon, eh?"

Bethan blushed, but didn't haver. "Isn't knowing priorities a military virtue?" she asked sweetly.
Everyone laughed, and Angus Campbell, usually soft-spoken, clapped Dorsey on the back. "She's better looking than you, after all, Dorsey..." Dorsey shoved Campbell off, but joined in the laughter.

Michael ordered a new round of Rollo's Tripel Ale for the table, and a waitress dressed as a shield maiden of the past took their food orders. There were no menus for food. You knew what you wanted, and the chef could prepare it, or not. Bethan took a half pint, and both ordered venison steaks and cranberries.

Catching up with friends felt good, and Michael mentally cursed himself for so often being of habit to forget to write or phone people. Phelan Kilgore had graduated officer's training last year and was already with the 11th Armoured. His girlfriend Erin Holmes was now living on base overseas with him, and got along with Bethan. Robert Chandler, bespectacled and precise, was doing national service in a non-military role. It fell to his serving girlfriend to get him into Meduseld, a fact he was being teased for. He had taken a job with the Ministry of Ways and Means, and seemed to be enjoying it. Eugene Nagle and Kevin Rushe were going to the University of Armistead for engineering and politics, respectfully, but serving in the reserves. Izod was enlisted, already a sergeant. He seemed proud of the three chevrons newly won on his uniform. Angus Campbell was also enlisted, but only a corporal. Niall Nickleby had joined the Royal Navy, but wasn't talkative about what he was doing. No one pushed it.

Finally together, the ale and mead flowed. With a leg of turkey in one hand, Izod tried to demonstrate how a colonial troop had tried to throw a hand grenade in training, all without dripping grease on his butternut service uniform. Erin almost shot ale from her nose at his exaggerated clumsiness. But when Izod slipped backwards and pumped into man from another table, it seemed a fight might brew. Michael and Dorsey quickly lept over to Izod's sides and disarmed the moment. Not long afterwards Dorsey was putting a new mug of ale in the bumped man's hands and Izod had made himself a new friend.

Nagle, tanned and dark haired for an Afallonian, and his girlfriend together told a story about how they met at a market. However cliched reaching for the last jar of olives at the same time may have sounded, every lady at the table sighed at the sweetness of it. Phelan Kilgore smiled deviously, saying, "I can guess the next thing he grabbed at." He was promptly barraged with crushed-up napkins and a bread roll.
The night was just what he thought it would be. Good drinking, good food, and company he'd long missed. They swapped stories and arm wrestled, making bets on the latter. Michael counted himself out after Angus damn near broke his arm (or it felt like it).

Turning to say something to Bethan, Michael noticed she was deep in conversation with Kevin Rushe's date. Sophia, he remembered. A fellow student at the university, no doubt in politics as well. Without trying to listen in he could hear they were discussing matters in East Aurora. Not wanting to get involved, he took a hearty pull from his drink and started to say something to Phelan, but the words were drowned out. Like a wave in the ocean, voices began to pick up and join in a song.

"Saolré ag cogadh!" Angus Campbell called out. In an instant every man in uniform in earshot, Michael included, had crawled on top of the table and were standing as they sang the lyrics.

From dawn to dawn they're fighting, Die where they stand
The fog of war lies thick, When armies scorch the land.
When all of Nod's burning, What can be done?
They've been to war a decade...

"Two more to come!" Dorsey, Phelan, Angus and the others toasted at the end of the lyrics, played hauntingly slow with cello and viola. Michael emptied his mug along and called for a refill. In a way, Michael thought the ballad a callous way to remember the last war. But the attitude of embracing death as a natural end to any warrior was still common. From the looks on many of the older men around, veterans all of them, the ballad was a sign of their time. May our future be brighter, he thought. But there was no guarantee. When Kevan had ascended the throne people had assumed maybe the wars would wind down. His campaigns in Greggor and Elgarve had change been successful, but the wars hadn't ended. It was enough to make some philosophical and wonder if war was mankind's eternal condition. So if war was not going away, why not embrace it and live well until the final ragged breath?

Perhaps reading his mind, the tone shifted from a song of war to something more romantic, but equally thought-provoking. However anachronistic a piano may have appeared in a club meant to imitate the look of an ancient mead house, the man playing it dispelled any concerns. White-haired and diminutive, he was a wizard with the key. The singer, a younger man than the pianist, exchanged grins with his partner as he began. It was introspective, but inspired.

Without waiting, Michael reached out and took Bethan's hand. Smiling her dimpled smile, she actually took the lead to the dance floor. Slowly in each others arms, they moved with the music, feeling it touch to their very beings. Robert and Erin, Kevin and Sophia, and more, the floor felt crowded, as if everyone were dancing together.

Put aside your sad unhappy endings, turn away from the world that's gone and turned its back on you
Who knows what tomorrow is beginning? All I really know is that I want to be with you.
For all we'll ever have, may be what we share tonight.
The future's promised to no one, so stay with me in paradise.
Time is like a river flowing, winding down through all our memories,
Making islands of the happiness we've known.
Down to the sea of life and loving, watering our days and all the seeds that we have sown.
For all we'll ever have, may be what we share tonight.
Yes all we'll ever have, may be what we share tonight.

At that last refrain, he felt Bethan press up against him. "Let's leave," she said simply, her voice choked. His eyes felt blurred by the smoke in the air, from the cooking and pipes, and he wasn't sure what time it even was anymore. Time seemed to cease to exist in Meduseld.

"Come on." Hand in hand they traced their path back out to the table. Dorsey had a waitress on his lap, but from the noise Michael could not hear what his friend seemed to be saying. Even with a fine blonde in front of him, Dorsey's looked up as they passed by. Michael gestured with his head to show they were leaving. Dorsey stuck out his hand, and they clasped forearms. He knew his friend would tell the others why he'd left.

Laurel slept quietly, orderly for an imperial capital. The trolley service still operated, however near-empty. Opting to ride instead of walk, Michael led Bethan onto one of the trolleys. The driver tipped his hat as they got on. Taking a seat near the front, he put his arm around her and leaned back. His head was spinning slightly.

Sleepily, she said, "It won't be long."

"Until?" Michael knew what she meant. He didn't know why he acted like it was a question.

Bethan gazed up at him with her bright blue eyes before turning to look outside. "You go back to the Nagelring, graduate, and leave for your duty station. For a year." Her fingers found his and squeezed gently.
He didn't say anything.

"I spoke with Erin. It would be possible, if you want... I could come with you to Malos. They have an Eahl." Her words were everything he knew she'd say. What he wanted her to say. But was it fair to her?

Michael shifted slightly in his seat. "I'll look it over when I get there. I will only be a junior officer, so things could take a few weeks. But I promise." Living with her wasn't marrying her. His father couldn't say his orders were disobeyed.
They'd always promised to go an adventure together. Maybe this was the chance. The fresh air cleared his head. The trolley dropped them at the corner to the Royal Hotel Bern. Strolling up together, he felt the times were changing.

"How are your brothers?" He asked.

She looked up with a smile and gave him a shove. "Following your dumb example."

The morning came too quickly.

Malos
Nodic March, Occupied Territories

His mind wandered back to graduation, only a day prior. He had stood against the wall of the graduation hall, with a faint smile on his lips as he watched other members of his class, wearing the same smart, cadet gray uniforms with sky-blue trim, guiding their families and guests through introductions with other people's proud kith and kin. It was funny to see how classmates changed when family and friends from outside came to visit. The academy's little world and its social order dissolved as the real world comes pouring in.
But for all his concerns he felt himself start to drift off, and the memories of yesterday became his present.

Maxwell Ewell crossed the hall, taking Michael's hand and giving it a strong pump. "We did it, Cale." Michael laughed and grabbed at Maxwell's left sleeve. A golden wolf's tail surrounded a laurel wreath was embroidered. Both men smiled and clapped each other on the back.
"The Guards Light Division. No other for you, Maxwell." Michael was proud of his friend.

With a bit flourish, Maxwell gestured to a older couple that had been right behind him. "Cale, cheil. I'd loch tae introduce ye tae mah parents. Neas an' Una. Mum, dad, thes is mah friend Michael."

Michael turned from Maxwell and extended his hand. "It's an honour. Your son is a great friend of mine." Neas Ewell wore a dark suit, clearly new, and Una wore a dark blue gown that complemented her husband's own outfit.

Una Ewell smiled politely. "Michael?" she said hesitantly, waiting for Maxwell to supply his roommate's surname.

Hiding his laugh with a cough, Maxwell held up one hand. "Mum, Dad, thes is mah roommate, Prince Michael Robert Blackledge..."

Michale saw Una Ewell start to stiffen and to drop into a curtsy. He leaned forward, gently putting a hand on her shoulder. "Please, it's not necessary." He tried not to blush, pointing to a gold cord looped around Maxwell's left shoulder. "This is for those of us fortunate enough to be in the top five percent of our class. Here, I am among equals and wish to be treated no differently than my friends."

Nias Ewell suddenly took Michaels hand and shook it again. "We're jist embarrassed we didn't recognize ye. Seein' a photograph an' meetin' royalty in bodie... huir uv a different. I'm mair surprised Maxweel ne'er said anythin'." He gave his son a reproachful stare.
"Forgive him. No doubt he didn't want to be one of those who write home and brag that they're my best friend or something." Michael smiled. "I owe your son very much for helping me with my mathmatics."

Maxwell shrugged. "Cooldn't lit ye struggle. As tae th' roommate business, thaur ur plenty ay classmates haur 'at will tak' credit fur 'at anyway."
As if summoned, an all too familiar voice piped up. "Mother, Father, I wish to present to you Prince Michael Robert Blackledge. Michael, these are my parents, Charles and Marie Hinchcliffe."

Michael assumed a public smile and nonetheless cordial tone. "I am pleased to meet you." With a straight back and stiff nod, he acknowledged Henry Hinchcliffe's family. Charles Hinchcliffe gave a bow as his wife curtsied. "Henry has told us much about you, Highness."

With a nod, Michael acknowledged that. "I'm sure he has, Mister Hinchcliffe. It was a pleasure meeting you. I hope you enjoy the graduation." Michael held his smile long enough for the Hinchcliffes to realize they had been dismissed, then it melted into a more genuine expression as he turned back to the Ewells.

Maxwell chuckled softly while Henry and his parents withdrew. "Ye hink auld Henry mentioned hoo ye took apart his forces in trainin' maneuvers?"
Michael shared his roommates chuckle, until noticing Maxwell had straightened up. "Swatch alife, cale. Spooks." Ewell inclined his head at the entrance.

Entering the hall were men, and women, moving alone or as dates. They smiled cordially and drifted through the crowd with seeming purposelessness, but their wary eyes continuously scanned the room.
Noticing the puzzled expressions on Maxwell's parents, Michael said, "No worries, operatives. This many means my parents cannot be too far behind."

"Weel, it was braw meetin' ye, Michael." Nias Ewell turn to his son. "Let's gie th' prince some space."

Michael held up a hand to give them pause. "Please, you don't have to." Una Ewell shook her head slightly. "Highness, we ur jist Skyean shepherds. Nae a body special..."

"No, you're the parents of one of closest friends. You raised the man I trained with. It would be an honour to introduce you." From the buzz in the room, his parents had arrived.

Queen Olivia entered first, on the arm of the academy's commandant. In a conservatively cut blue gown, with blonde hair up, she looked far youthful than her years would suggest. Behind her, escorting the commandant's wife, came King Kevan. Tall and regal, he wore the midnight-blue uniform of the Guards with a colonel's three stars on his shoulder tabs. The king, his cold blue eyes bright, exuded a confidence that crackled through the gathering like static electricity.

King and Queen released themselves from the commandant and his wife, and made their way over to where Michael stood. They never missed anything.

Michael opened his arms and took his mother in a warm embrace. "Hello, Mother," he said, happy to see her again. She deftly stepped aside as father and son pulled each other into a backslapping hug.
Michael turned to the Ewells. "Father, Mother, it's my honour to introduce Subaltern Maxwell Ewell, and his parents Nias and Una Ewell." To Maxwell's parents he said, "May I introduce, their Majesty's King Kevan and Queen Olivia."

Kevan immediately Una's hand. "If what Michael says is true, we owe your son quite a bit. I will remember his friendship to my son." Una smiled, but the significance of the moment held her tongue.

Maxwell snapped a smart salute to the King, which Kevan returned equally crisply before shaking the subaltern's hand. The informal curtain of bodyguards that drifted between the royal family and the rest of the party allowed them to converse in peace, and Olivia quickly won Una over after complimenting her self-made dress. Soon, each accepted a glass of champagne from a waiter's silver tray.

Conversation in the room died as King Kevan turned to the crowd and lifted his glass high. "I would like to offer a toast to our assembled son, brothers, friends and companions." With pride in his eyes, he glanced at Michael and Maxwell, then faced the crowd again. "They are the future of our Fatherland and of the Realm, and we are blessed that so able a group is ready to fulfill such a mighty responsibility."

Softly, so only Michael could hear, Kevan leaned in and said, "Maybe I was wrong. Bethan should be here, son."

When Michael sipped the champagne, he awoke with a start. A survey of his surroundings an instant later reminded him where he was, as did Dorsey Cleburne's snoring. Michael nudged his friend with an elbow to get him to stop. Dorsey had argued for the window seat on their flight, yet he'd fallen asleep almost immediately. Only a six hour trip and Dorsey couldn't stay awake. On the other hand, Michael had difficulty sleeping. Not that there wasn't a large collection of music and films on the seat monitor in front of him.

When he'd learned of the scheduled flight, he had assumed it would be on a military transport. Instead he had a comfortable and expensive seat on AirFrith. Apparently it wasn't uncommon these days of peace. Looking over Dorsey he caught a view of the terrain as they approached to land. It looked like dry grasslands.
Over the intercom the pilot announced they were making their final approach. As if on cue, Dorsey awoke easily and looked about. "There already?"

Once on the ground, the two subalterns took to gathering their baggage. Dressed in the appropriate travel attire, their butternut service uniforms with sidecaps, they were in a pool of similar-looking young men making their way to buses, taxis and other transportation. Malos airport was a hub for all occupation forces, Michael remembered. No one had told them how to get to the headquarters to report. No doubt part of some test, he assumed.

But no sooner had he made that assumption than smooth rumble of a Light Patrol Vehicle greeted them at the air port's pick-up lane. The four-doored LPV was affectionately nicknamed the 'Corgi' to set it apart from its larger and better armored brethren. This one was painted a desert variant of DPC, and leaning against the passenger-side front door was a corporal smoking a cigarette. Scrawny and half-sunburnt, the corporal wore a desert DPC uniform with the sleeves rolled up, and topped off with a boonie hat of the same pattern.

Upon seeing them he straightened up and put the cigarette out. "Sir, sir," he said saluting each of them in turn. "I was sent to give you a lift back to base. Corporal Richard Smith." He sounded very relaxed. Michael wondered what sort of unit it was.

Dorsey responded first, "Very good, corporal. Give us a hand with the bags." What he lacked in stance, the corporal made up for with energy. In record time the Corgi was packed and the three men piled in to drive off. Corporal Smith drove, while Michael took the front passenger's seat. Dorsey took a rear seat without complaint, briefly commenting on the ceiling hatch for the emplacement an S79B machine gun usually occupied.

As they drove, the corporal pointed out places of interest and talked about the base. To Michael, the man's silence on the unit was thunderous. Oh to be sure he spoke volumes about the 11th Armored and the 13th Hattiesburg Regimental Combat Team overall, but not the company itself. At the primary entrance to Malos Training Area was a reinforced checkpoint flanked by two deactivated L2 main battle tanks. "Relics from the last war," Smith chuckled. "Not a scratch on what we have now."

Smith guided the Corgi through the security checkpoint, and into the base. At the center was a giant clocktower. "Built after the occupation began," he pointed out. It was commonly used for fresh arrivals to orient themselves if lost on base. There was a recreation hall for the battalion, and a dining facility. To hear the corporal tell it, he'd never eaten so well before.

"And this here," Smith said as he pulled up to a three-storied yellow structure, "is 13th RCT's headquarters. The battalion headquarters operate in offices here too, and the companies wherever their commanders delegate. Captain Lennox usually uses a barracks office for company work. But he's in here today."

The area in front of the RCT HQ was clean and well kept. A younger soldier, probably a fresh private, pushed a broom on the sidewalk in front of it. No doubt a punishment for something, Michael guessed.

Corporal Smith led them in, even pausing to hold the doors. Inside was a reception area, with a soldier sitting behind a desk delegated to direct new arrivals. Surprisingly, the RCT commander's office was on the top floor. "He likes to make late arrivals do shuffles up and down the stairs," Smith explained, with obvious experience. It was a new feeling, being part of the real thing and not just a cadet in training. The officers and other ranks in the headquarters were courteous and matter-of-fact, and the two subalterns followed their guide to the top floor.

Instead of being in his officer, however, their new regimental commander seemed to be holding a conference in the hall. Dark-haired, weathered-looking and mustachioed, Colonel Andrew Miller also didn't seem to miss a beat. He caught them entering the corridor, briefly gave them a nod as if to say, 'Don't move,' and continued speaking to the two staff officers he was addressing. After finishing whatever he was discussing, one of the officers handed the colonel a couple small and flat boxes. He gave one a clap on the shoulder and sent them on their way. Then he approached.

As taught, Michael and Dorsey snapped crisp, open-palmed salutes once the colonel was near. He returned the salutes, briefly acknowledging the corporal with a simple glance.
Speaking first, Michael called out, "Subaltern Michael Blackledge and Subaltern Dorsey Cleburne reporting for duty, sir."

"At ease, boys," Colonel Miller calmly said. "Welcome to the Hattiesburg Regimental Combat Team, the finest instrument of the 11th Armoured Division. You have your orders?"

"Yes, sir." Dorsey replied. "Report to the regimental commander first."

Colonel Miller nodded. "And you've done so. I heard good things about both of you, which is why I requested you as officer replacements. Your probationary status as subalterns is over, I already signed the order before you arrived. Congratulations." In his hands were the two small boxes Michael had noticed earlier. The colonel held them out, and each subaltern took one. Opening them they discovered the single bars of a second leftenant.

The colonel shook their hands and saluted them in turn. "Put these to good use, and go report to your company commander now. He should be downstairs. I expect great things from both of you. Dismissed."

"Sir!" The second leftenants again saluted, and Colonel Miller replied in kind. Just as swiftly as he'd approached, he turned away and was shouting for someone on some other task. Michael and Dorsey exchanged suppressed smiles before following the corporal again, this time downstairs. On the far side of a first floor corridor they found the impromptu headquarters for their new unit. One of the doors was open, and Corporal Smith tapped on it.

"I've got them, sir," the corporal said wearily.
From within answered a cool voice. "Good, you're dismissed, Smith. Report back to your section. And you two, get in here." Smith left without another word, and Michael and Dorsey filed in. The man before them was sitting at a round table, a look of disinterest plastered on his face. Lean with thinning hair, Captain Edwin Lennox did not appear interested at much.

Before they could salute him, Lennox held up a hand. "None of that, the work day is almost over anyway." Michael stopped himself from frowning, but evidently Dorsey did not. Lennox saw, "Are you a wind-up soldier where you feel the need to salute every five minutes, Leftenant Cleburne? In front of the men, that's fine. When just us officers, relax a bit."

It was then the captain stood up and did approach them, shaking their hands in turn. "Baker Company, my company, has been short on officers a while. So let me say my bit and then we'll be good. Leftenant Blackledge, none of that 'Highness' stuff here. You're a serving officer in the Armed Forces of the Crown. That it is your father's crown makes no difference in regards to your performance. If you don't like that, say something right now and we'll see you sent elsewhere, no questions asked."

Michael then couldn't hide his smile. "Honestly, captain, that's all I want."

Lennox nodded. "Good. Cleburne, frown less. You'll start looking like me." He laughed, and Michael could now see the man had probably been testing them. "Here's where are right now. Cleburne, you'll take over Second Platoon. Blackledge, you'll take Third Platoon. Leftenant Hawke, who is running the men through PT right now, is acting executive officer and First Platoon commander. Smith took the Corgi so we'll walk out to our company area. Any questions?"

"No, sir," Michael and Dorsey replied in unison.

Captain Lennox smiled thinly. "Well let's go then."
Last edited by Blackledge on Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Blackledge
Ambassador

Postby Blackledge » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:04 am

Malos
Nodic March, Occupied Territories

After several weeks of company, battalion and regimental-level training, Michael felt he had a true handle on his position now. In hindsight he realized a part of him had mistakenly assumed things would be easier once he was commissioned. A real officer, with proper authority, drills and duties. Perhaps in some regards it was, but Michael knew he was more exhausted just from this last three-week field training exercise than he'd ever been at the Nagelring. Colonel Miller was a fair but hard task-driver. Companies routinely engaged in forced marches - "Well what if your IFV's are disabled?" the colonel would remark - operated on little sleep, and cross-trained tasks. It all made sense, of course. But still, somehow he had believed occupation duty would be slower.

Not that he'd ever admit or say as much to his men. My men, he thought with some affection. In only nine weeks he had grown to know them, especially his NCOs, and understand their capabilities and ambitions. Particularly Staff Sergeant C. Edward Mathis, his platoon sergeant. Mathis was a consummate professional, a career man of short stature who nonetheless commanded great respect from the troops. Years of cadet training, involving a large amount of cross-training with regulars brought in as cadre, had prepared Michael for his officer-NCO relationship in command. It didn't bug him to know that in truth the platoon was more Mathis' child than his own; a junior officer was meant to learn and grow, and depend on his senior NCO for guidance. However an officer must also ensure the NCO realizes that the platoon is still technically under that officer's command, and not be cut-out nor challenged in a fashion that could damage discipline. It was, Michael knew, a working relationship all modern armies had been developing and building on since the great changes of officer and NCO positions at the beginning of the industrialized age of war.

The unit had been undergoing reorganization and refitting when he and Dorsey arrived, and it wasn't long before they were greeting new faces themselves. Leftenant Hawke had left only days after their own arrival, to be replaced by a certain First Leftenant Webster Twofeathers. The new company executive officer was what some still termed a colonial, hailing from the distant Dominion of Colleton. Twofeathers was tall and thin, with dark hair and a reddish tone and admitted to being part of the indigenous Chickchaw tribe. He was friendly, refrained from drinking, and seemed pleasantly surprised to discover who one of his fellow officers was. Along with Leftenant Twofeathers was a fellow officer, Subaltern Kermit Collins. Unlike fellow officers in Baker Company, Collins was not an academy graduate but had trained as a reserve officer and decided to go active. On the short side, fair and blonde, Collins seemed Twofeather's opposite in most respects. As a result, Michael was pleased to see he brought different experiences to the table.

With Baker Company at full strength, things should have been easier. Kermit Collins had taken over the First Platoon, and First Sergeant Horatio Lincoln had return from a senior non-commissioned school in Afallon. Still, it did not take long to realize things were necessarily going to be smoother.

At breakfast in the mess, Michael worked over biscuits with bacon and scrambled eggs and raspberry preserves, washing it down with tea. Our first breakfast under a roof in three weeks, he thought again. Individual Ration Packs were all well and good, but nothing beat fresh food.

Around him sat the rest of the company's officers, with other tables being occupied by the myriad officers from other companies and battalions. Elsewhere the NCOs ate in their own mess, and the enlisted in a separate mess hall. Michael knew the younger troopers were even more happy to be back 'in civilization' with fresh food. He recalled overhearing a private first-class, Withers, telling a buddy, "If I have to eat one more IRP, I'm gonna errrp myself" and smiled at the memory.

"Food can't be all as good as that, Michael," Leftenant Webster Twofeathers quipped, noticing Michael's smile and answering with a half-grin of his own. "Same such-and-such they were feeding us before we left." The other officers at the table chuckled at that, save for Captain Lennox.

The company commander inclined his head towards Michael. "Methinks our Leftenant Blackledge," he said laying the slightest emphasis on the surname, "is all too happy to be in air conditioning and clean again. Life in the field isn't for everyone." He cast a sidelong glance at Michael.

Not this again. What Michael had at first taken for a lax personality had quickly proven itself to be something of a spiteful one while training in the field. Captain Edwin Lennox knew his duty, sure enough, but on the personal level had proven to be antagonistic and almost resentful of his new crop of officers, Michael in particular. If it was a grudge against his family or simply stressed with being saddled with a prince, he was unsure.

"You'll never make me believe that, Edwin," Twofeathers said. "Michael here showed he knows the game. Even I know the Nagelring doesn't mint soft officers."

Captain Lennox seemed to soften for a moment, perhaps reconsidering his words. He spooned some beans up and nodded, as if to agree. Michael felt the mood lighten some. "I was recalling what one of my men said as we returned last night, sir." He recounted it to Lennox and the others, and everyone shared in a good light laugh. Almost like a switch had been flipped, Edwin Lennox now seemed as congenial as he did with his officers when in the presence of their NCOs. The change concerned Michael, but he didn't think to comment on it.

Dorsey and Kermit, who had been discussing football, suddenly slowed in their conversation. Kermit Collins' eyes seemed transfixed, and Dorsey let out a low whistle that only his fellows could hear. "Well what have we here?" Dorsey asked softly.

Discreetly, Webster Twofeathers and Edwin Lennox looked over their shoulders towards the entrance. It was much easier for Michael to get a glimpse of, seated facing the doors as he was. Just entering was a young lady, slight and shapely, with golden hair and wearing a green sundress. After a quick glance, Captain Lennox turned around and went back to eating. "You lads don't want to be caught staring."

He wasn't kidding. Right after her came the RCT commander, Colonel Miller, and other officers of his staff. "Slow down, sugar," half the men heard the Colonel say after the young lady who seemed to have outpaced her escorts.

Twofeathers shifted back to look at the other officers. "A bit young for the Colonel, isn't she?" He whispered with a conspiratorial grin.

Lennox snorted. "Webster, you'll want to be watching yourself. That's the Colonel's daughter. I don't need to say more, do I?" Despite his tone belied his serious appearance. Dorsey focused on his meal, and prodded Kermit with his elbow to do the same.

Michael turned back to his own meal, and joined in the conversation over who stood the best chance for the Championship. Sancshire was favoured, as usual. In his peripherals he noticed figures approach his left. He swung his gaze over and recognized the Colonel and his entourage. Colonel Miller smiled down at Baker Company's officers. "Edwin, I heard good things about Baker during the exercises."

Lennox pushed his chair back and stood up. "Thank you, Colonel. I owe much of it to my new platoon commanders." Michael noticed the captain made no mention of the company's executive officer. If the Colonel did, he did not comment. Colonel Miller did look over to Michael, though.

"Leftenant, I believe I have you to thank for receiving a personal invitation to the Silver Jubilee. It's an honour for His Majesty to do so," Miller said with what seemed honest humility. Michael's brain raced; he had forgotten all about the Silver Jubilee in the midst of training. No doubt the invitation was Father's work... or even Northcott's. Caught up in his thoughts he missed part of what the Colonel was saying. "... and I can think of no better detachment to represent our regiment in the Grand Review than your company, Captain Lennox. Congratulations."

"Thank you, sir," Lennox replied, unable to hide his surprise at the honour. The Colonel smiled.

"Dad, are you going to introduce me?" The Colonel's daughter asked with a shining smile. With a start Colonel Miller seemingly remembered she was hovering beside him. "Of course. Gentlemen, this is my daughter Victoria. She will be accompanying me to the review." In turn the Colonel allowed each officer to introduce himself, starting with Captain Lennox. Victoria's eyes widened slightly when Michael introduced himself, but she was quiet until the ceremony was done.

"Prince Michael?" She asked turning to her father. "The prince is under your command?" Miller nodded once.

"It's so nice to meet you, Highness," she said softly, and in a tone that instantly set her father to clearing his throat, while Captain Lennox shot Michael a look.

He had to clear this up. "Victoria, it is a pleasure. But here, I'm simply Leftenant Blackledge. I look forward to seeing you again," he said neutrally but with a friendly tone. She was short, but undeniably pretty. She smiled at his correction and nodded.

Colonel Miller took that opportunity to conclude the stop and wish Baker Company's officers well, before he and his entourage continued on their way. Victoria Miller gave him once last glance as they did so. When they were gone he felt relief, but he also felt the eyes of his fellows on him. Dorsey's face held a mix of concern and mirth, while Webster and Kermit tried to act jokingly nonchalant. Edwin Lennox sent Michael a strong look while he mouthed, "Be careful." In training there was a tune that served as a cautionary tale about a colonel's daughter having eyes for you. Not what I need right now.

After breakfast they returned to their company area to tend to duties. The majority of the enlisted had been granted liberty for the day, so the officers mostly had the area to themselves to go over paperwork. As he did so, Michael thought back to the last conversation he'd had with Bethan. Yes, she'd wanted to come live at Malos, but things weren't that simple, nor easy going through the chain of command. She had grown anxious, and then thoughtful. If he was spending his time for the good of the realm, is only being an acolyte of the Faith an adequate use of hers?

She was clever, no doubt of that. And determined. While he'd spent time at the Nagelring, Bethan had attended both courses to join the Faith and begun a classic and accounting education at a small woman's college in Laurel. As all such schools offer, she had taken a Women's Reserve Officers' Training Course. When she was accepted into the Drywarate he had assumed any interest in things martial had left her. She would be safe in Laurel while he spend some time in garrison overseas. Or so he had assumed.

Ever eager to share in an adventure, when last they spoke she told him of her plan. With an Honour's degree and time in Reserve training, she was eligible for the Royal Navy's Accelerated Officers' Selection Course. Sixteen weeks of hell, it was said. He had been surprised initially, but remembered she'd grown up along the coast sailing and swimming. Bethan had seemed even slightly defiant, as if daring him to tell her not to do it. He had not. Encouraging her had instead brought her to tears over the phone. They swore to see each other again, soon. Part of him wondered why they had ever let themselves be separated, but the answer always returned and he thought back to the day of his grandfather's funeral. Duty and honour.

Leftenant Michael Blackledge turned back to the reports on his desk. There was still a lot of work to do.
Last edited by Blackledge on Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Blackledge
Ambassador

Postby Blackledge » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:55 pm

Caer Meath, Dunagall
Westlief March, Kingdom of Blackledge

The murmuring of the rain against the room's window in the BOQ, the Bachelor Officer Quarters, set his mind to wandering. It had only been a year since grandfather's funeral. Michael racked his mind with the memory, unable to forget it. Setting grandfather to rest, the sight of his family, the memory of Bethan, the people who would one day look to him to rule...

He sat up in bed, the burden of his thoughts making him uncomfortable. Nine months he had been in command of a platoon of His Majesty's Armed Forces. Starting out in occupied Malos, the entire regiment had now found its way home to casual duty in Old Afallon. The occupation was over, the war now truly a memory of a generation ago. Now he and his lads - the idea of men twice his age being his lads almost made him smile - trained in the familiar dirt of home, parading through the villages of their own.

Looking at the tussled blankets on his simple mattress, the memory of the last bed he had shared at a simple Bed and Breakfast causing him to wrestle with his feelings. Starting a relationship with a superior officer's daughter was beyond stupid, even for someone with royal connections. Vicky was compassionate, interesting, and most of all: here. Michael thought of Bethan, now a consumed in her own career as a flight officer in the navy. Her messages, less frequent than his own, were short and simple. She never had felt the need to say more than what was necessary.

With deliberate force of thought he slipped on his physical training uniform, slipping out his door into the dark morning. The rain had stopped. His feet found their way along to the field, where his fellow officers had preceded him. The company was falling in, First Sergeant Lincoln guiding the enlisted into place.

"Company, atten-shun!" The senior NCO growled out. Captain Lennox took his place and soon the well-oiled machine of morning PT chugged along.

Stretches, jumping jacks, crunches, sprinting, it all took the mind off anything else. Michael pushed his body to outdo any of his enlisted. The oft-quoted expression of an officer leading by example was doubly true for a prince. By the end he was panting and exhausted, but his mind was clear.

Breakfast was as familiar, biscuits and gravy with tea to wash it down. Michael spoke but a little to his fellow officers, Leftenants Kermit Collins and Dorsey Cleburne dominating the table with their talk of football. The two had become fast friends since Malos. Captain Edwin Lennox and Leftenant Webster Twofeathers kept their own council, not excluding their platoon commanders but definitely having a professional connection of their own.

"What's wrong, Cale? You're silent as a private under inspection." Dorsey meant it to be lighthearted, but the prince felt his face shut down. Only Dorsey knew of his indiscretions.

Collins swallowed some tea and chuckled. "Probably upset I outdid him in push-ups, again."

Faking a punch, Michael forced a grin. "Nah, Kermit, just sick and tired of having to let you look good." Collins rolled his eyes and Dorsey laughed.

But his friend wouldn't let up. Dorsey leaned in. "What is it, Michael? The company has a light day in classes. You're not bored, are you?"

Despite himself, Michael answered, "Just anxious. Since we got back from Malos three months ago..." He laughed emptily. "I suppose I just thought we'd be on the Chandigari frontier fighting bandits or hot dropping on guerrillas in Suthesia."

Both leftenants opposite him exchanged looks. "You hungry for glory or something, Cale?" Dorsey sounded surprised. "This is the best duty we've had since we got in. Nod was awful." Diminutive Kermit Collins bobbed his head in agreement.

Voice dropping to a whisper, Dorsey narrowed his eyes. "I know what's eating you." Michael felt himself starting to make a face until his friend continued: "You need to learn the good news."

The young prince felt his confusion apparent on his face. "What news?"

It was then Captain Lennox piped in, the table hardly large enough to hide discussion. The big company commander had a half-smug grin. "You seemed antsy lately, leftenant, so I'd save the news for later. Big-mouth here only found out this morning. Colonel Miller says we've been tapped as possible replacements for operations in Gandhara."

Michael spooned up a bit of his breakfast, concealing his own shock. Captain Lennox didn't hide his joy at releasing the news. "It goes no further than this table for now, but gentlemen," Lennox slammed his hand on the table, "we may finally be getting our chance."

Castle Crary, Sancaster
Susanglian March, Kingdom of Blackledge

Last Harvest dinner at Crary Castle proceeded with a stately air, with plenty of time for the many guests to enjoy each course and each others company. To celebrate the death of the harvest season, when the veil was thinnest between the life of summer and the death of winter, a feast worthy of ancient kings had been set out. Laid out across thick, oak tables were exotic fruits, delectable garden vegetables grown around Castle Crary itself, and salads of pale greens and dried nuts. Platters with hams, wild fowl, local fish cooked black accompanied the them. Fine wine flowed like a veritable river, poured freely and enjoyed by all. Among the tables moved accomplished servants, experts in their services and ensuring the dinner went without issue.

Hanging from the walls were tapestries and cloth-works showing the brown bear of the Orloffs and silver wolf of the Blackledge combatant. Presiding at the head of the table Grand Duchess Sylvia Annabelle Orloff-Blackledge sat, taking in the sight. A delicious lobster bisque had been brought in and her guests were savoring it, as was she. Her guests, be they noble or common, serviceman or civilian, chatted amicably. More than the elite of Sancshire was represented, with businessmen from New Teyssier, nobles from Westlief, and even friends from childhood present. A number of barons, thegns and knights were in attendance, as were legators of the High Council and vocators of the Estates. Conversation ranged from the latest war games by the fleet to speculations about the High Council and Estates. Sylvia had always found it stimulating to mix with such interesting people. It reminded her of similar occasions at the Royal palace in her childhood. She smiled.

"Be wary, Highness," Julius Caine said, pausing in his conversation with his wife. "You’re smiling, and tomorrow the news will say that you prefer the company of we vocators to that of the Royal Court." Sylvia laughed gently and raised her glass to Vocator Caine. She respected the grey-haired vocator, who carried his seventy years with the strength and grace of the former field marshal he was.

"I could not help but enjoy your company, Lord Caine. It pleases me you accepted my invitation," she said evenly, smiling all the while. In truth she was just as pleased at the message his presence would send; he had chosen to spend Last Harvest with her than in the capital. As shadow speaker of the Assembly, Vocator Julius Caine's opinion held great weight. While the nobility, (and to a lesser extent business) was represented in the High Council, it was the Assembly where the common voting citizen made his voice heard. An overwhelming majority of vocators were veterans and so their decisions helped influence the armed forces.

"You honour me, Highness," the grey-haired shadow speaker for the Assembly said. "With all you've done."

Sylvia raised her glass high again. "To the good will and kindness of Estates."The toast echoed down the length of the table as everyone raised his or her glass, saluting Sylvia and the vocators present. She clinked glasses with neighbors at the table, enjoying the mood.

"Better our company than the treatment your cousin has received," a vocator from down the table rasped, not hiding his bitterness. "Assigned to an occupation unit and then brought home. No glory in that, Highness." There were more than a few grunts of agreement.

Julius Caine cleared his throat, then looked at Sylvia. "What do you think of that, Highness? Your cousin in Crown Prince. Doesn't he deserve a chance to make his name?"

She knew the shadow speaker for the assembly meant no disrespect being so blunt. Men from Afallon typically were, and were used to wanting their voices to be heard. Bringing up her cousin was secretly a touchy point, but outwardly she made no sign of her discontent with the current situation. Better that she be thought of as the princess disinherited unjustly rather than a jealous rival for power.

Several conversations broke off as people waited for her reply. "I'm sure the Duke of Carrach will have his chance for glory sooner rather than later. His assignment to the Hattiesburg Regiment is no sign of disfavor from His Majesty or Marshal Dominic. I have faith my dear Cousin Michael will prove himself as brave as his father when the time comes." The words felt like acid.

More war, nothing but war. Spared from the worst of the two Great Wars and even the Last Nodic War, in her mind too many Afallonians maintained a belief in the greatness of conflict. Proving manhood and giving cause to a military class. She concealed her disgust even as she made connections in the class to build as a base of support. When the time came, military action would be her last choice. It was a new era of humanity that needed something more than antiquated notions of martial valor.

Sylvia looked to her cousin, who had recently graduated and intrigued her by accepting her invitation. "What do you think, Winfred?" As a former cadet from the Royal Academy of Martial Sciences, maybe his answer would be more along what the vocators wanted to hear.

Auburn of hair and green of eyes, Winfred looked every inch a member of the Royal Family. "I do not doubt my brother will get an opportunity for battle, but he did choose the garrison-bound Hattiesburg boys himself." He shrugged. "Perhaps he did not want a line unit yet." With a flourish Winfred raised his glass and sipped, looking at Sylvia. His own unit in the 3rd Guards was due for a rotation to Suthesia and combat.

"A line unit!" The Earl of Teyssier laughed. "We've battled nothing but Mohammedan fanatics and marxist guerrillas for so long, I wonder if anyone has a notion of how to fight a wider war anymore. Young Prince Winfred, I feel if any of you want a real fight you may have to hop a border somewhere and start a fresh one." Laughter swept the table, and the earl wheezed along. Having lost a leg in battle, he was no stranger to such a life. How he kept such an attitude eluded Sylvia, but she smiled along with everyone else.

Winfred bowed his head at the earl's point. All the while servants had begun cleaning up bowls and glasses and setting out aperitif. "It does remain a fact," Julius Caine picked up the topic, "that our army hasn't had a chance to fight a proper foe in some time. Your father, Highness, and his father were proven soldiers. Warrior-kings as much as your forebears. To see his heirs saddled as parade soldiers... How can we expect able an able commander-in-chief who has never commanded-in-field? No offense, Highness."

"None taken, vocator." Winfred's face concealed any annoyance, though the young officer probably agreed.

Sylvia tapped her hand on the table. "If I may, military adventures are the least of our worries. Our government should be focusing more on education, social nets and expanding suffrage. In this day and age we still can't give everyone a college education. Can you believe this, Vocator Caine?" She lifted her glass but did not drink.

The vocator shifted in his seat. "You raise some interesting points, Highness," he said to Sylvia, "but the issues are complex. We in the assembly deal with them every day. Why, the technical colleges your great-grandfather began-"

"Are insufficient," Sylvia finished for him. "Two dozen now for how many tens of millions of people? College should not be a luxury for the wealthy but an opportunity for all." Women were definitively underrepresented, not that a vocator would care.

Julius Cain considered her with a glance. "How, Highness? There simply is no money in the budget." He shook his head in disbelief. "Why waste the time of so many people when there are jobs that need doing? Our secondary schools are sufficient."

Clearing his throat, Winfred joined in. "They'd have to slash the budget somewhere, Sylvia. Where? The military?" Her younger cousin seemed incredulous at the idea, and Sylvia found herself wondering for a moment why he had even shown up. But the sparkle in his eye made her pause and consider.

"As you yourself stated, Vocator Caine, we have no real modern enemies. Why continue to support an overwhelming military budget when we could bring education to millions of freeholders throughout the Realm? More administrators, more people eligible for civil service, more informed voters." The last point brought Julius Caine's head up.

"Informed voters?"

"Of course," she replied. "With my ideas of petitioning the High Council for expanding suffrage, more voters would be available. These voters would remember the members of the assembly that supported such a state-funded education act. The mutually beneficial nature of creating such a voting base would ensure you become speaker, I imagine. Of course," she giggled lightly, playing it off as an idle fancy, "this is all hypothetical."

"My lady," Julius Caine said, obviously taking the idea for one of his own, "Your intelligence as always humbles me. I'd never considered the advantages the realm could gain from an expanded post-secondary education system." He looked around, noticing the other vocators heeding his words, following his lead. Such an idea was hardly original, but the technical colleges had sidelined much post-secondary expansion for years. Reopening the discussion would be a good first step.

"Julius, please. You'll make me blush." Sylvia smiled, her face aglow. The servants brought the pie, and she glanced at her slice. She dismissed the idea of eating more than a single bite; she was after bigger things than mere desserts.
Last edited by Blackledge on Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Blackledge
Ambassador

Postby Blackledge » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:12 pm

Near Gandhara, Northern Frontier Province
Blackledgic Raj of Chandigarh

The helicopter's rotors beat the air overhead, setting the normally clear blue sky into a dark blur as the HRC-111 banked over the plateau. With the ramp down the sound of the rotors mixed with the throbbing pulse of the engine. Leftenant Michael Blackledge glanced out an adjacent window at the colourful plateau beneath them. Even after almost a year in this country it was a beautiful sight to behold. It was far greener than he'd ever expected it to be before arriving. In his mind's eye the land had been a stereotypical desert, hot and empty and an eyesore filled with death. Studying the flower-filled fields and azure steady river below, he realized once more how shortsighted his assumptions had been. Northern Chandigarh was hard country, but with beauty of its own.

While in the past he may have been concerned about appearing a goldbricker, with calm confidence he shifted his gaze away from the window and back to the interior. Issues he used to worry about had become utter non-issues. He was in command, and by now knew his men well. But at the back of his mind, despite all he'd experienced and learned, appearances were to be maintained. Third Platoon, his platoon, were mostly looking about or sleeping, exhausted after an extended patrol through the foothills. When they had finally made it to the retrieval point and seen the helicopters, Michael had caught the whispers. Their camp at the forward base might be the back of beyond, but it was civilization compared to life in the hills. From the mud and straw homes they'd encountered it was as if time had stood still in this part of the world.

The young prince rubbed the back of one gloved hand against his cheek, brushing auburn sideburns. Like almost all the men in his company, and indeed the regiment, he'd acquired trimmed facial hair on rotation.

"We've got Vicey in sight, leftenant," the pilot radioed in, Michael's headset crackling with the message. FOB Vicey a was good distance away from Gandhara, an island of relative safety in a sea of green fields, dusty roads, and craggy rock formations. The simply named Northern Frontier Province appeared half desert and half farmland.

Michael suppressed a smile, "Roger. Good ride, over." The pilot responded by means a of thumbs up sticking out of the cockpit. A few of the troopers saw this, and grins and weary cheers spread about. Third Platoon was crammed into the Nightshade helicopter, every seat filled with men or standing everywhere else. Sitting just before the extended ramp was a crewman handling a machine gun. The prince saw the crewman hold a hand to the headset on his ear, and began preparing for a landing.

"Job's not done 'till we're off the bird, leftenant," quipped a voice beside him, belong to his platoon sergeant. Staff Sergeant C. Edward Mathis gave him a bump on the shoulder with one fist reassuringly. All had gone as planned for once.

"That's an affirmative, staff sergeant," Michael replied with confidence that kept any relief out of his tone. "It was an interesting trip."

At that the platoon sergeant gave a firm nod. "That police station we passed by, those fellows work quickly." The NCO's dismissive tone belied his mirthful grin. The prince recalled it: a small police HQ in what seemed the middle of nowhere but was really a village of prominence. On their first patrol through months ago he had been called in by one of his sergeants to give the interior of the station a look over. Suspecting the worst he was instead surprised to see portraits hanging over the clerk's desk. One each of his father, mother and himself. But they were very old, his parents more than two decades younger and himself a babe. No one had identified him as royalty to the police, but Michael couldn't help but ask about the portraits.

The local chief of police had been too pleased to explain. "Those are our King and Queen," he'd said in a way that gave capitalized the titles. "By Allah's will, on this earth. They send you to help us. The King is a great general, and our Queen a great golden beauty. One day their son will rule as sons do, and we will obey." Whether the man was being sincere or not was difficult to discern, so Michael had commented on the age of the portraits, to which the chief had seemed frustrated by.

"We are sent these by the capital. They have not sent more," he said, apologetically. He seemed embarrassed by the inefficiency. So when Prince Michael marched through his platoon this last time, he was surprised to see new portraits above the desk. None was older than a couple years, himself in the official graduation photograph at the Nagelring. Even his siblings were present now.

Noticing his observation, the chief had seemed smug. "You honoured me with your test, my prince. They are here, the pictures. New from the capital." The old man has insisted on shaking hands, pressing his forehead to the prince's hand. After exchanging pleasantries Michael had moved the platoon on.

One hand on his weapon, a too-dusty bullpup rifle, Michael reached out to plant a hand on his platoon sergeant's shoulder. Hefting himself up while Staff Sergeant Mathis blinked tired eyes and steadied him, the leftenant made careful steps to the cockpit. Up ahead were real barracks, hot showers and fresh food. The copilot didn't spare him a look, focused as he was, and the pilot gave a brief nod of acknowledgement while tending to his task. Ahead on either side were two more Nightshades, and he knew another followed. The entire company had gone out, and by the All-Father everyone was coming home. Taking a deep breath in through his nose, Michael felt his chest swell with a mix of relief and pride. It had been a smooth operation, and their last before the rotation out of the province. No more casualties for now. Time to recover.

As the helicopters banked in for landings on their respective pads, Michael braced himself and thought back to his initial impressions. The locals called this land Sarhad, and it had been far from his idea of a secure part of the land he would one day inherit. Colonel Miller had been frank in their first briefing: the northern border in this area was porous. Mohammedans came in and out from the tribal, backwards land on the northern border, at their own pace. Zareeristan was a harder place than this, and the source of a good many local troubles. But decentralised and mountainous as it was there was little that could be done to stabilize it. Further east along the mutual border the land grew into a mass of mountains the natives called the Spine of the World. A piece of it extended into northeast Chandigarh but the whole of it was peaceful as often as not. Here was the trouble, here the hostiles. The Colonel had even suggested that the border here was left as it was on purpose: training country. They had not outside sources of support so there was little real threat, and the heartland and wealth of the Raj lay far to the south. Here troops could be rotated in a battalion or regiment at a time and gain precious on-the-job experience. Michael's stomach felt queasy at the thought of such a grand experiment that had just involved him, but the theory wasn't too far off if true.

Touching down, the aircraft shook and even over the rotors Michael could hear Staff Sergeant Mathis roaring at the platoon. With the ramp dropped they filed off at the double quick, Michael took his place with his platoon sergeant getting the men out. On the ground the company quickly organised and the acting company commander gathered his platoon leaders. The Prince's boots kicked up dust as he jogged over to the circle, his heavy kit weighing him down.

He was second to arrive, and Captain Webster Twofeathers gave a friendly smile but was otherwise all business. Leftenant Kermit Collins was already waiting, the shorter man huffing and puffing under the weight of his own pack as he gave the others a thumbs up. With a casual saunter, his rifle at the low ready, Dorsey Cleburne approached with their newest companion, the tall and red-faced AJ McConnell, in tow. The Second and Weapons platoon commanders, respectively, made quick hellos and looked to their captain. Twofeathers checked his notepad for a moment until the First Sergeant Lincoln arrived. With everyone necessary, the captain finally spoke.

"First off, good job Baker Company. Solid cover on the retrieval site, good patrol, safe ride home. Cheers all around." Collins nodded, Cleburne waited, and McConnell seemed to hang on each word. Only Horatio Lincoln pursed his lips and seemed to take it all as routine.

Twofeathers continued, "We'll be heading in for battalion debrief, you know the drill. Have platoon and squad NCOs sort your troopers out, get everyone dusted off and hydrated. Company will form at 1600, then break for supper. You all will tend to your platoons as necessary. I've word battalion will be having a major briefing for tomorrow, so be prepared for that. No one knocks off yet, eh? First Sergeant?" He looked to the company NCO.

Horatio Lincoln, a rawboned man with cold, bloodshot eyes, nodded. "Captain's got it all. I'd like a word with platoon sergeants after supper, but the boys were all around adequate." Lincoln seemed to squeeze that last word out, usually unwilling to give even subtle praise. "Ready to move the company, sir."

Captain Twofeathers looked each of his officers in the eye and stashed his notepad. "Then let's get to it. Michael? Walk with me." The two men fell in step together and marched towards the duty shack. Twofeathers took his shades off and slipped them onto a loop on his vest. "You did well, leftenant," the Colleton-born officer said. "When Lennox was injured so soon after we arrived in-country, it was not an easy thing to step into his shoes so suddenly. I mean you train for it..."

Michael nodded. Lennox had been two days promoted major when an explosive device hit the vehicle he was in. No-one was killed, thank the All-Father, but the major had been sent home. Twofeathers himself had just made captain and stepped into the company command role perhaps nervously, which surprised Michael, but expertly. Making the prince his acting executive officer quickly, and integrating their new weapons support platoon, Twofeathers had led the company to a well-run tour of duty. No deaths, and only a few men wounded.

"The company couldn't have done it without you, Web." Michael thought of something else to say, but it seemed simple honesty flowed easiest. Webster Twofeathers smiled easily and changed the subject. "You know we're going home, right?" The prince nodded. "So," Webster continued, "any major news you can tell your commander, and friend, about?"

Blushing, Michael gave a dismissive snort. "What, you saw the Yule Ball in a magazine?" His only out-of-country leave had come around the Winter Solstice, and had been a brief two weeks back in Laurel.

His company commander bobbed his head up and down, smiling slyly. "Not like it was a secret. I saw the picture of you with that clavelord and his daughter. Should I be expecting an invitation, leftenant?" Web's teasing actually helped with the pressure. Royal marriages were no little thing, and as the weight of military service was eased with the end of a rotation, a new weight took its place.

"Well, I don't think it's as much as that." Michael chuckled, trying to play it off. On leave his father had insisted he attend the palace's Yule Ball, where he was introduced to old familiars in the form of nobility and people of consequence, and others he knew less of. A good many of the far north's Clave Lords, the chieftains of the clans and literal keys to holding that land, had attended with much of their families. With the Royal family's historic ties to those lords Michael had met a share of them before, but that had been years before. Coming face to face with Kimball MacElhar, clad in suit jacket and a kilt of his clan's tartan, was a mixed surprise. The clean-shaven, thin but muscly lord had been a constant sight in his youth, helping to train him for the Nagelring even, but was also a hard and eccentric man. Earl of the Marches and Marquess of Ferniehirst, MacElhar also commanded a lot of loyalty from the other clavelords.

MacElhar had thrown royal protocol aside, giving the prince a firm handshake before embracing him in a bear hug. As Michael thought his back might be broken, the bald clavelord released him with a broad grin across his pale face. In a heartbeat he was introduced to Cora, eldest daughter of Lord MacElhar. She had grown, sprouted really, in the years since he'd last seen her. Seventeen now, brown haired with eyes so green they caught and held Michael's attention.

"Cora?" He'd managed to ask. Last time he'd seen her she was fourteen and spending the summer with his youngest sister Elsa. Even in a blue gown, with her clan's tartan worn as a shoulder cloak, Cora was unmistakably fit, her bare shoulders even seeming toned. "My prince," she'd replied with a roll to her R's and a curtsy.

For the rest of the night she'd been on his arm at MacElhar's insistence and the king's encouragement. They'd share a first dance, and then stood together as the press was allowed to take a number of photographs. Through it all she'd smiled, but acted aloof. Despite it all that act had only made him more curious, and at the end of the night she'd let him hold her hand but not allowed him to kiss it. When her family departed Cora had joked with him, and then told him she might want to see him again. Perhaps.

His mind brought back to the now, Michael looked at his company commander and shook his head. "His Majesty may plan things for me, but I haven't let them occupy my mind while we're here and I won't let it worry me until we're home."

"So... no feather in the future?" Captain Twofeathers said, alluding to the traditional method of proposal. He slung his rifle and grabbed the door to the shack, stepping in first. The young leftenant grabbed at the door and followed the captain in.

"No comment." Michael shrugged and Twofeathers left it at that, as they were now entering a group of other officers as well. Whatever his father had planned for him, Michael considered, he'd find out soon enough. An arranged marriage? In this age? Suddenly he felt he might miss this empty country, though the memory of Cora teased at him. The prince wondered how soon the flight home would be, and who he might discover waiting at home.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates