NATION

PASSWORD

The Europeia Times - Presidential Election Special

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Whiskum
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 10, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Whiskum » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:26 am

Carta wrote:
Klaus Devestatorie wrote:Remind me again when Europeia suddenly started having issues with dictatorships in general?

It's time to elect the next Emperor of the LKE. :P

The LKE is not remotely a dictatorship and the Emperor is not the LKE's head of government.

The LKE has a democratic government, with elections both for the Prime Minister and the legislature, underpinned by a constitutional monarchy.
Last edited by Whiskum on Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emperor Emeritus of The Land of Kings and Emperors
King Emeritus of Norwood, Basileus Emeritus of Polis, etc.

Prince of Jomsborg, of Balder

Archduke, of The New Inquisition
Viscount, of Great Britain and Ireland
Honoured Citizen of Europeia
Emperor of the LKE
LKE Prime Minister
LKE Chief of the Imperial General Staff

Crown Prince of TNI
Commander of TNI Armed Forces
Director General of TNI Intelligence

Vice Delegate and Crown Prince of Balder
Balder Statsminister
Balder Chief of Defence

GB&I Home Secretary
GB&I First Sea Lord

Chief Justice of Europeia

Member, Imperial Military Council, UIAF
Supreme Allied Commander, SRATO

WA Delegate of The Rejected Realms

The Europeia Times
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Europeia Times » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:29 am

The Europeia Times makes its return in the coming days - look for Issue #2 soon!
Last edited by The Europeia Times on Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Europeia Times, Issue #2, out now!

The Europeia Times
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby The Europeia Times » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:26 am

The following is a private media production and is in no way associated with or sanctioned by the government of Europeia

Issue #2
19 April 2014

Private vs. Public Media Comes to the Forefront in Europeia
by The Europeia Times Staff

Europeia has erupted recently in a debate over the merits of private versus public media outlets. Beginning with calls from private media mogul Elias Greyjoy to highlight more regularly-updated outlets over the government-owned Europeian Broadcasting Corporation (EBC), the debate has been fanned by Senator Greyjoy's discussions on allowing Europeian WFE dispatches to be determined by the citizenry. The debate over the sporadic posting activity of the EBC has come into question in the past as well.

The tipping point, however, came when another Europeian private media outlet, The Zenyan, published a private message sent by Senator Greyjoy to the papers proprietor, among other private media owners, calling for a "union or lobby, even, containing the most active members of the Europeian private media sector." Alongside publishing a screenshot of said message, The Zenyan went on to put forth a brash attack on Senator Greyjoy, claiming that "his motives lie in gaining influence and power" and "that [all] this organization will be used for is Elias' interests and to further his war against the EBC." The article goes on to further discredit Senator Greyjoy, claiming "most of [his] proposed ideas in the Senate would directly benefit [him] and [his] newspaper."

The response has, predictably, been polarizing. President Anumia has remained staunchly in the camp that private media should not be highlighted in regional dispatches, stating "I don't see why the Government should be promoting private material." Senator Greyjoy has argued that the inconsistent updates to the EBC as well as questionable content in the past would be better shelved in favor of more active discussions and regular-updated pieces, especially in encouraging more private media posting as well as attracting non-forum users to join the forum. Newly-approved Minister of Communications, which has purview over the Europeian Broadcasting Corporation, Rachel Anumia has been caught in the firefight, inheriting a media outlet that had fallen into a state of disrepair due to lack of consistency, while still retaining her own private media outlet, The Globe, in Europeia.

It appears that, for the time being, the battle for private media to be highlighted in the same manner as the government-run media outlets is lost. The region, as a whole, is confident that the appointment of Rachel Anumia to Minister of Communications will both improve the quality and consistency of the EBC, and hopefully rectify the argument in the process.

Constitutional Changes in Balder; More on the Way?
by Cormac Anumia-Somerset

On 9 March, the citizens of Balder overwhelmingly ratified a new Basic Law to adopt a dual executive. The State and Government Act, passed by the Riksdag (Parliament) on 6 March before being presented to the entire citizenry, establishes an elected Monarch to serve as WA Delegate and Head of State for six month terms and an elected Statsminister to serve as Head of Government for three month terms. In an address to the region on 11 March, King North East Somerset hailed his proposed constitutional change as a system that has been "tried and tested by several extremely successful and active regions across the game" and noted that "it's good to be part of such an opportunity."

The King also announced that Fuzzy, who previously served in the Riksraadet (Cabinet) and Royal Council (Security Council) of Balder, has been appointed the first Statsminister. The first election for Statsminister will begin on 5 May.

Other citizens of Balder are also enthusiastic. "Well I think it is a very good change," said Riksdag Speaker 34625197. "I've been a strong supporter of it. The actual balance of power between Monarch and Statsminster is based on a system that has proven effective in many real countries, and has served them well. And I think it makes the Monarch a more unifying figure in the region rather than political."

Former Queen Rachel Somerset notes that "hopefully it leads to more activity in the government. It splits the executive and will allow for more people to have a hand in running the region. As well it allows for one more position for people to vie for."

Severisen, new to Balder but Minister of Military Affairs and Security Council member in sister Sinker Osiris, also views the change positively. "It seems like a good idea. I'd like to see how it pans out. I think any time you take some power from one and put it in the hands of someone else, it’s not necesarily a bad thing." He added: "I'd like to read more of the rationale behind it though."

Dual executives have met with mixed success in the interregional community. Constitutional monarchies have proven quite successful in many user-created regions such as The Land of Kings and Emperors, The New Inquisition, United Kingdom, Albion, and Wintreath, among others. On the other hand, dual executives have proven contentious and problematic in game-created regions in the past when those systems were adopted by Feeders such as The North Pacific, The South Pacific, and The West Pacific -- though it has been many years since such a system has been attempted in a Feeder or Sinker.

King North East Somerset also announced in his address to the region that he will push for a return to an elected Riksdag, arguing that a directly democratic Riksdag has led to legislative stagnation and inactivity. The citizenry of Balder previously ratified the Representation for the Realm Act (November 2014) that opened the Riksdag's membership to any citizen of Balder. "I think we can all agree the amendments to the Riksdag to move away from an elected representative system have been an almost unmitigated failure," the King said. Nonetheless, several citizens did not agree, arguing that inactivity has been a broader regional problem that has not been exclusive to the Riksdag. Legislation to return to an elected legislature has not yet been introduced into the Riksdag and it is uncertain how much support such legislation would receive.

Great Architecture Project Lack for Partners
by Elias Greyjoy

In his first official speech to Europeia since January, President Anumia announced, among a multitude of topics, that his Great Architecture Project has garnered only one region as a participant since the inception of the program last October. This announcement comes on the heels of multiple citizens calling for updates on the GAP, fueled in large part by an Op-Ed by Elias Greyjoy criticizing the Anumia administrations on their lack of foreign updates or communication with the citizenry. President Anumia announced that, in addition to one region, The Beach, signing a Construction Partnership Agreement, negotiations are currently underway with two additional regions who have not been named, and that he is confident one of those two is solidly on board.

The future of the Great Architecture Project has been brought into question in Europeia over the lack of progress made up to this point. The President has stated that many months were put into the planning and layout of the Great Architecture project, saying "[M]y conception of this plan was in fact that we would spend a fair bit of time just planning it...That was meant to go for a while - the vast majority of the first term, at least." Those on the fence about the project, including Senator Cormac Anumia-Somerset, have expressed their concerns about the longevity of the project in a post-Anumia Presidency, stating "I'm still personally not ready to call the program a failure...but if it isn't off the ground and obviously flourishing by the end of this term I'm concerned it's going to be scrapped as unworkable by the next President with quite a bit of justification. And if it's scrapped, nobody is going to pursue anything similar anytime soon."

President Anumia is confident that things will be swifter and smoother in the future now that the details of the Construction Partnership Agreement are laid out and that a successful case has already been made with one region. He states "In short, yes there have been some slow points - usually relating to activity concerns though, not any actual failure (frankly I'm pleasantly surprised - we have hit essentially zero roadblocks thus far) - but the bulk of the time period was essentially planned-but-underestimated...my goal and commitment is to get a partner region for every current Architect before the end of this term." Currently, there are four active Architects, not including the President or Minister of Foreign Cultivation, so we can expect to see at least one more region as a Great Architecture Partner before the term ends.

Douria Debate Decided
by Elias Greyjoy

It's finally settled - The Dourian Embassy garners a Security Council badge of the red and black variety. After multiple proposals have been bounced through the Security Council, totaling six Condemnation drafts (one self-submitted), two Commendation drafts, and one joke draft (a Condemnation), The Dourian Embassy has finally been Condemned by Security Council Resolution #140, written by SkyDip (Elias Greyjoy).

Well known as a General Assembly author, Douria later gained infamy for their part in the coup of Osiris and subsequent transfer of power to Gatesville in what was probably the Gameplay event of 2013. Douria was unseated by rightfully-elected Delegate Cormac Stark Somerset, but refused to relinquish the Delegacy. Douria subsequently transferred control of their nation to Gatesville forces, notably JAL and Nevadar, who then purged more than 2,000 from Osiris. Douria later said that the coup was done for simple amusement and to inflict long-term damage on the region.

More recently, Douria was again in the spotlight in conjunction with The Brotherhood of Malice when they produced a fake Liberation of St Abbaddon in an attempt to display the defender tendencies of the Security Council and approving or voting members of the WA. The measure was a rousing success, and passed easily, setting up the Brotherhood of Malice to casually exit St Abbaddon without further trespasses, thus leaving the region vulnerable without the inability to protect itself via password. Douria later authored a repeal of the Liberation, clogging the queue with pseudo-proposals and then having them all pulled once their repeal had met quorum.

Though not included in the text of the Condemnation, Douria again was involved a spat with former WA member Auralia. Auralia had recently gotten a repeal of GAR#2 to vote, and it was on it's way to passing, when the proposal was removed by moderators. Afterwards, Douria assumed control of this proposal draft and got it to vote but then campaigned against it, hoping to make Auralia look foolish in exercising a personal vendetta against Auralia. This triggered a multitude of responses, including a WA-wide telegram campaign to expose Douria's duplicity.

It might not have been quite the debate as some other proposals, but the Douria saga has been an entertaining one nonetheless.

Auralia Makes a Return to the WA?
by The Europeia Times Staff

Auralia, a proficient General Assembly author holding 12 passed resolutions to their name, might be on the rebound after a disgraceful exit from the WA. After writing and submitting a self-Commendation and then getting caught with two simultaneous WA nations, both Auralia and the puppet nation were banned from the World Assembly. Being such a stellar General Assembly mind, it was hard to believe that Auralia's retirement from NationStates would last long. Now, it seems as that Auralia may indeed be making a return.

As first brought to the attention of the Europeia Times by Hakio, a frequent General Assembly patron, speculation has begun swirling that Railana may be the newest incarnation of Auralia. Hakio points out the similarities in signature style for Auralia and Railana, each reading as:

Martin Russell
Chief Ambassador, Auralian Mission to the World Assembly

Joseph Fulton
Chief Ambassador, Railanan Mission to the World Assembly

Furthermore, Hakio points out that Railana - exchanging the 'n' for a 'u' results in an anagram for 'Auralia,' in addition to Railana taking up projects that Auralia had started on previous occasions. There has been no confirmation from either Auralia or Railana regarding the possible link, but many in the General Assembly seem to have adopted the reasoning that the two nations are operated by the same controlling interests.

Darwinish Brentsylvania
Senator

Founded: Aug 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Darwinish Brentsylvania » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:40 am

Douria got a condemnation after the dozen times originally tried? That had to be a well written proposal.

SkyDip
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby SkyDip » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:47 am

Darwinish Brentsylvania wrote:Douria got a condemnation after the dozen times originally tried? That had to be a well written proposal.

That's the number of drafts I found. Some weren't submitted, but yeah, it's been a lot.
Elias Thaddeus Greyjoy, WA Ambassador of SkyDip
Read my Guide to the Security Council, a comprehensive collection of history, tactics, and tips for the Security Council!

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:SkyDip's actions have, ultimately, destroyed the World Assembly.

Eist wrote:Yea... If you are just going to casually dismiss SkyDip's advice, you are probably not going to get very far at all.

Sedgistan wrote:SkyDip is trying to help, and is giving sound advice. I'd suggestion listening to him, as he has experience of writing (and advising others with) legal proposals.

Frisbeeteria wrote:What Skydip said. This bitchfest is an embarrassment to the Security Council.

Darwinish Brentsylvania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Darwinish Brentsylvania » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:29 pm

SkyDip wrote:
Darwinish Brentsylvania wrote:Douria got a condemnation after the dozen times originally tried? That had to be a well written proposal.

That's the number of drafts I found. Some weren't submitted, but yeah, it's been a lot.

It's worked after countless proposals and 10 months, wow.

Applebania
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 17, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Applebania » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:51 pm

Tano wrote:
Venico wrote:So much hype over Laz and not even a single comment about my interview. Le sigh ;w; Back into the shadows of unknown and obscurity I go.

You asked for it :P

"I also wanted to found this region based on the bond that Koth and I share. I know I can trust him with anything in this game. We've known each other since nearly elementary school and that sort of established bond helps us through this game immensely. I want everyone to share that experience. Friendship, bonding, and fun."

You really seem like you have a special bond. Reeeal special. Some might say....super special.

*pulls out Koth/Venico fanfictions and starts reading them*

NS fanfics would be the best worst fanfics ever.
AKA Karlsefni
Citizen of the Rejected Realms
Sergeant of the Rejected Realms Army

The Grim Reaper
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grim Reaper » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:57 pm

Applebania wrote:
Tano wrote:You asked for it :P

"I also wanted to found this region based on the bond that Koth and I share. I know I can trust him with anything in this game. We've known each other since nearly elementary school and that sort of established bond helps us through this game immensely. I want everyone to share that experience. Friendship, bonding, and fun."

You really seem like you have a special bond. Reeeal special. Some might say....super special.

*pulls out Koth/Venico fanfictions and starts reading them*

I wrote one for TSP.
If I can't play bass, I don't want to be part of your revolution.
Melbourne, Australia

A & Ω

Is "not a blood diamond" a high enough bar for a wedding ring? Artificial gemstones are better-looking, more ethical, and made out of PURE SCIENCE™.

Kringalia
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 03, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kringalia » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:52 pm

Oh god, your fanfic was that craziest thing ever. You should've written another one for the latest election! :P
Chief Justice of the South Pacific
Delegate of the South Pacific (Apr - Dec 2014)

Interviewed Max Barry | Tuesday Couper | Commended by WASC #422

The Grim Reaper
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grim Reaper » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:15 am

Kringalia wrote:Oh god, your fanfic was that craziest thing ever. You should've written another one for the latest election! :P

I was going to :P but it fell on a really bad week in terms of finding any time at all.
If I can't play bass, I don't want to be part of your revolution.
Melbourne, Australia

A & Ω

Is "not a blood diamond" a high enough bar for a wedding ring? Artificial gemstones are better-looking, more ethical, and made out of PURE SCIENCE™.

Applebania
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 17, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Applebania » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:47 am

The Grim Reaper wrote:
Applebania wrote:

I wrote one for TSP.

Can I please have a link?
AKA Karlsefni
Citizen of the Rejected Realms
Sergeant of the Rejected Realms Army

Kringalia
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 03, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kringalia » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:42 am

We lost it when we post our previous forum. If Grim doesn't have it save somewhere though, I could search our forum backups?
Chief Justice of the South Pacific
Delegate of the South Pacific (Apr - Dec 2014)

Interviewed Max Barry | Tuesday Couper | Commended by WASC #422

TomoziDynasty
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby TomoziDynasty » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:08 pm

Gatesville's overthrowing of the WA will happen :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Gatesville Inc Ministry of Defense
Name: Tomozi
Imperial Navy Rear Admiral
Imperial Ace
Honor Guardsman
Gatesville inc

The Leningrad Union
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Leningrad Union » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:21 pm

TomoziDynasty wrote:Gatesville's overthrowing of the WA will happen :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Good luck with that.
I founded Madrigal and Confederacy of Allied States. However, I have given up my power in both. I reside in Iraq currently. Come join me!

Parody of typical NSG sig:

NSG's resident Liberal Gay Atheist because there's totally no other liberals, gays or atheists here!
Impeach GP, Legalize RP, NSG 2016!
Mallorea and Riva should resign
*Insert some uneducated statement about how I support a stupid ideology that I heard about in my middle school social studies class*
*Insert some typical liberal and/or edgy statement about Gaza and/or Ukraine*

some popular TETer wrote:Leningrad iz kewl

some dude that agreed with me on a debate wrote:Just listen to Leningrad!

TomoziDynasty
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby TomoziDynasty » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:40 pm

The Leningrad Union wrote:
TomoziDynasty wrote:Gatesville's overthrowing of the WA will happen :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Good luck with that.

Thank you :clap:
Imperial Ace
Honor Guardsman
Gatesville inc

The Leningrad Union
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Leningrad Union » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:41 pm

TomoziDynasty wrote:
The Leningrad Union wrote:Good luck with that.

Thank you :clap:

I used to be in Gatesville in July :p
I founded Madrigal and Confederacy of Allied States. However, I have given up my power in both. I reside in Iraq currently. Come join me!

NSG's resident Liberal Gay Atheist because there's totally no other liberals, gays or atheists here!
*Insert some uneducated statement about how I support a stupid ideology that I heard about in my middle school social studies class*

TomoziDynasty
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby TomoziDynasty » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:51 pm

TomoziDynasty wrote:Thank you :clap:

I used to be in Gatesville in July :p

Why leave?
Imperial Ace
Honor Guardsman
Gatesville inc

The Leningrad Union
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Leningrad Union » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:55 pm

TomoziDynasty wrote:
The Leningrad Union wrote:I used to be in Gatesville in July :p

Why leave?

I joined my friend's region.

Darwinish Brentsylvania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Darwinish Brentsylvania » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:56 pm

TomoziDynasty wrote:Why leave?

Then you formed your own region.

TomoziDynasty
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby TomoziDynasty » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:59 pm

TomoziDynasty wrote:Why leave?

Hopefully tgat was a great decision
Imperial Ace
Honor Guardsman
Gatesville inc

TomoziDynasty
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby TomoziDynasty » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:03 pm

That
Imperial Ace
Honor Guardsman
Gatesville inc

SkyDip
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby SkyDip » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:18 pm

...who are you?
Read my Guide to the Security Council, a comprehensive collection of history, tactics, and tips for the Security Council!

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:SkyDip's actions have, ultimately, destroyed the World Assembly.

Eist wrote:Yea... If you are just going to casually dismiss SkyDip's advice, you are probably not going to get very far at all.

Sedgistan wrote:SkyDip is trying to help, and is giving sound advice. I'd suggestion listening to him, as he has experience of writing (and advising others with) legal proposals.

Frisbeeteria wrote:What Skydip said. This bitchfest is an embarrassment to the Security Council.

Scissoro
Envoy

Founded: Mar 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Scissoro » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:21 pm

Issue added to the archives.
The Global Syndicate A Dynamic, Fast Paced Region

SkyDip
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby SkyDip » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:28 pm

Scissoro wrote:Issue added to the archives.

Em, ok.

The Europeia Times
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby The Europeia Times » Sat May 24, 2014 7:43 am

Image courtesy of Kraketopia

Kraketopia, Pope Lexus X Blast Drecq, Elias Greyjoy in Polls, 25-16, To Take the Europeian Presidency

After three consecutive terms of Anumian Presidencies, Europeia elected it's first different President since October 2013, former Senator and Minister of Foreign Affairs Kraketopia. Having only joined Europeia in October of 2013 as well, Kraketopia is one of the youngest faces in recent memory to capture the Presidency, beating out long-time Senate Speaker and former Vice President Drecq in the process.

Kraketopia, running on a campaign that promised increased communication from the executive to the citizenry, as well as creating a new department to create government-sanctioned dispatches and a revitalization of the Europeian Republican Navy. Both candidates were criticized by prominent media outlets in Europeia for their lack of Foreign Affairs vision, with Pharaoh Ravenclaw of Osiris commenting that he did not recall meeting Kraketopia even in his time as Minister of Foreign Affairs. Former President Common-Sense Politics, in analyzing the Presidential berate between Kraketopia/Drecq, had the following to say:
That's right folks. There is no preeminent challenge for Europeia internationally. In fact, there aren't even any specific challenges to be identified by these candidates. They couldn't even bother to make something up! The bulk of these answers are totally absent of substance but there are a couple phrases of note.

At no point in this debate did either of the candidates...debate the other. At no point in time did either candidate challenge the other. At no point in time did either candidate demonstrate that they have the chops to play in the big leagues and Elias not being available for a showdown with Lexus was probably to their benefit as I expect they would have show us how seasoned veterans play ball around here, only underscoring that perception. There you have it, the most boring debate anywhere, ever.

While some are critical of, specifically, the Foreign Affairs credo that the new President or his competition brought to the table, many Europeians are excited for a regime change and a new, if uninspired, direction.

The Europeia Times would like to congratulate President Kraketopia and Vice President Pope Lexus X on their victory.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay