NATION

PASSWORD

Holy Grail Found????

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Ventaura
Attaché

Founded: Jan 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Holy Grail Found????

Postby Ventaura » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:07 pm

Historians claim they found the long lost holy grail in Spain, the goblet Christians claim Jesus drank from at the last supper. Could this be the holy grail?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/0 ... 72155.html

Divair2
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair2 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:09 pm

No.

Ventaura
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Ventaura » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:10 pm

Divair2 wrote:No.

Could you please elaborate as to why you think not?

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:10 pm

Most historians agree that the holy grail is mere legend.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.62
Political Stuff I Wrote
Why Pinochet and Allende were both terrible
The UKIP: A Bad Choice for Britain
Why South Africa is in a sorry state, and how it can be fixed.
Massive List of My OOC Pros and Cons
Hey, Putin! Leave Ukraine Alone!

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:11 pm

Given the grail is simply to ornate for a leader of common men to drink from I am inclined to agree.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:12 pm

He chose... poorly.
Great Sage, Equal of Heaven.

Untaroicht
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Untaroicht » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:13 pm

It's the Huffington Post so I call bullshit, it's like a liberal FOX news >_>
NSG's NEW (un)official resident survivalist/doomsday prepper - BURY YOUR SILVER!

Cill Airne
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cill Airne » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:13 pm

I feel as though Christ, who shunned wealth to the greatest extent of my knowledge, and was also a carpenter by trade, would likely of not used a cup like that.
Anglican
Avid reader

To dare is to lose one’s footing momentarily. Not to dare is to lose oneself.

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:14 pm

Untaroicht wrote:It's the Huffington Post so I call bullshit, it's like a liberal FOX news >_>

I'm extremely disappointed that the huff post would post an article like this, but they're not as big of bullshitters as Fox. Plus, they're not very liberal.
Last edited by The Scientific States on Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

Bolkania
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Bolkania » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:14 pm

I thought this was Shof for a moment. :p

Regardless, I will be more excited it you can find a living sample of the rare Magical Rainbow Unicorn.

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:14 pm

Untaroicht wrote:It's the Huffington Post so I call bullshit, it's like a liberal FOX news >_>

Huffington post...liberal?

Please tell me you are joking?
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Ventaura
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Ventaura » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:15 pm

The Scientific States wrote:

I'm extremely disappointed that the huff post would post an article like this, but they're not as big of bullshitters as Fox. Plus, they're not very liberal.

Or MSNBC...

Lyras
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 26, 2004
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lyras » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:16 pm

Jesus, regardless of the source you choose from, was not a wealthy man, and was very conscious to stay that way, and not be taken in by the hypocrisy of the religious establishment of the era.

Thus, a heavily ornamented golden chalice would not have been used by he and his far-from-rich disciples at the event in question.

If it WAS so decorated, chances are actually pretty good that the New Testament would have harped on about it, and connected it to the grandeur of God somehow.

It was a cup. Maybe vaguely bowl-like, that's quite reasonable. Probably made of ceramic, though possibly wooden. Certainly not gold, or in any way precious in any earthly sense.
Mokastana: Then Lyras happened.

Allanea: Wanting to avoid fighting Lyras' fuck-huge military is also a reasonable IC consideration

TPF: Who is stupid enough to attack a Lyran convoy?

Sumer: Honestly, I'd rather face Doom's military with Doom having a 3-1 advantage over me, than take a 1-1 fight with a well-supplied Lyran tank unit.

Kinsgard: RL Lyras is like a real life video game character.

Ieperithem: Eighty four. Eighty four percent of their terrifyingly massive GDP goes directly into their military. And they actually know how to manage it. It's safe to say there isn't a single nation that could feasibly stand against them if they wanted it to die.
Yikes. Just... Yikes.

Lyran Arms - Lambda Financial - Foreign Holdings - Tracker - Photo - OOC sentiments

Lolloh
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Lolloh » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:16 pm

Well, they've posted a story about how your kid could've been Hitler in a past life, so... :unsure:
15, Social Democrat, Brony
Population is 135 million, plus 3 million in the colonies
National Army: 400,000 active (500,000 reserve)
Air Force: 100,000 active (200,000 reserve)
Navy: 200,000 active (400,000 reserve)
National Guard: 270,000 (all reserve)
Police Corps: 320,000 (paramilitary)
TOTAL: 2,400,000 (5.2/1000 active,17.8/1000 total)

My Embassy Program
Rainbow Dash is the best Mane 6, so join the Dashery

-The Trade Federation-
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby -The Trade Federation- » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:16 pm

Yeah right.

Jesus was humble, so he wouldn't have a richly decorated cup fit for a noble. Unless there are actual archeological proof (Or non-bullsheit proof to sit on in general), I won't believe it.
A dominant heterosexual 15-year old male with Asperger's Syndrome that is a self-proclaimed airship history expert and loves mashed potatoes ! Yes girls, I am...alone ? Yeah, alone. I'm also a Smurf lover. A smurf lover, you ask yourself ? It's like a brony, but Smurfs.

Since I seem to get a lot of random telegrams, telegram me, I love telegrams and I'm single, so why the hell not ?

The Grim Reaper
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grim Reaper » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:16 pm

Benuty wrote:

Given the grail is simply to ornate for a leader of common men to drink from I am inclined to agree.

It was presented as a holy relic to a Spanish King - my knowledge in the area is pretty damn trivial, but it might be plausible that the ornate trim and the like was added later to what looks like a polished wooden base.

Then again, I don't know enough to say whether the polished wooden base itself would have been typical of a common period chalice.
If I can't play bass, I don't want to be part of your revolution.
Melbourne, Australia

A & Ω

Is "not a blood diamond" a high enough bar for a wedding ring? Artificial gemstones are better-looking, more ethical, and made out of PURE SCIENCE™.

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:16 pm

Ventaura wrote:

Or MSNBC...

MSNBC isn't very biased(although I'll admit that they lean liberal at times), but this isn't the thread for that.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:16 pm

Ventaura wrote:Historians claim they found the long lost holy grail in Spain, the goblet Christians claim Jesus drank from at the last supper. Could this be the holy grail?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/0 ... 72155.html

There is no way that would be the Holy Grail. That Jewel encrusted gold monstrosity would not have been the drinking vessel of use by a poor son of a carpender while eating in the borrowed rooms of some random Judean inn. If one were to find anything that could be a Holy Grail it would look more like this:

Such heroic nonsense!

New Emmerian Coalition
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Emmerian Coalition » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:16 pm

From a Christian Perspective;

Jesus would not have used a 'holy grail' like that. His would have been simple, and very possibly made by himself, he was a carpenter after all.
Current Location: Gone Rogue @ DZ02 Steeleport

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General