NATION

PASSWORD

NSG Senate Chamber [NSG Senate] - Version 4

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Pesda
Minister

Founded: Jun 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Pesda » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:11 am

The Nihilistic view wrote:
Pesda wrote:"We should not follow the law, because other people don't follow the law."

I'm sensing a strawman here. Cos the above was not what I was saying.

If I understand correctly your argument is that we should ignore international law. So correctly if I'm wrong, but you were definitly saying "We should not follow the law." You also said, to support you argument, "For powerful nations it [the law] can just be ignored." Which, I think, is the same as "because other people don't follow the law."
So explain to me, how were you not saying "We should not follow the law, because other people don't follow the law."?
St George of England wrote:
Pesda wrote:Alchohol has a funny taste
So does semen.
Professional Leaders wrote:
Neo-Sincostan wrote:Nah mate I live in Scotland. Or, as I dislike relating it to, the UK.
thats cool i like ireland
Interstellar Britannia wrote:And indeed, cavemen are fully capable of writing books. Have you heard of the Communist Manifesto perchance?
Green Ham wrote:
Pesda wrote:Making someone happy.

I advise lubricant if that's your objective. Or spit.
Kheil HaAvir wrote:i sleep with a poster above
Welsh speaking Plaid Cymru and SNP supporter.
Left -5.75 Lib -6.05
Why I voted for Plaid Cymru
Now a student... In England

Deputy Director of the NIB
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Deputy Director of the NIB » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:15 am

Pesda wrote:

If I understand correctly your argument is that we should ignore international law. So correctly if I'm wrong, but you were definitly saying "We should not follow the law." You also said, to support you argument, "For powerful nations it [the law] can just be ignored." Which, I think, is the same as "because other people don't follow the law."
So explain to me, how were you not saying "We should not follow the law, because other people don't follow the law."?

Yep just as I thought, a strawman and leap of logic. You need to read what I said not what you want to hear.
Current Deputy Director: Lord Johnson.

New Bierstaat
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Bierstaat » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:19 am

Pesda wrote:

Mike Kerry and his friends were in a car joyriding on M-25/27 NB near downtown. Going nearly 150 km/hr on the motorway, he passed by a speed trap. When the police got him pulled over a few miles down the road, he rolled down his window and yelled, "OTHER PEOPLE SPEED TOO, DAMNIT!"
POLITICAL COMPASS
Economic +2.75
Social +1.28

Thomas Jefferson wrote:I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.

Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Deputy Director of the NIB » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:22 am

New Bierstaat wrote:
Pesda wrote:If I understand correctly your argument is that we should ignore international law. So correctly if I'm wrong, but you were definitly saying "We should not follow the law." You also said, to support you argument, "For powerful nations it [the law] can just be ignored." Which, I think, is the same as "because other people don't follow the law."

Mike Kerry and his friends were in a car joyriding on M-25/27 NB near downtown. Going nearly 150 km/hr on the motorway, he passed by a speed trap. When the police got him pulled over a few miles down the road, he rolled down his window and yelled, "OTHER PEOPLE SPEED TOO, DAMNIT!"

The Officer who happened to be of the NIB said. "Look it's not the speeding, it's because your using inferior km/h. Alright? I will let you off this time but in future you must use mph when speeding in future ok?"
Last edited by Deputy Director of the NIB on Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pesda
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Pesda » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:24 am

Deputy Director of the NIB wrote:
Pesda wrote:If I understand correctly your argument is that we should ignore international law. So correctly if I'm wrong, but you were definitly saying "We should not follow the law." You also said, to support you argument, "For powerful nations it [the law] can just be ignored." Which, I think, is the same as "because other people don't follow the law."

Yep just as I thought, a strawman and leap of logic. You need to read what I said not what you want to hear.

I quoted exatcly what you said.
Are you not suggesting that we should be prepared to ignore international law?
If that is what you're suggesting, part of your justification for this is "For powerful nations it [the law] can just be ignored." Correct or not?
So please do explain to me how that is different to saying "We should not follow the law, because other people don't follow the law."

You can't just call it a strawman without explaining how.
So does semen.
Neo-Sincostan wrote:Nah mate I live in Scotland. Or, as I dislike relating it to, the UK.
Interstellar Britannia wrote:And indeed, cavemen are fully capable of writing books. Have you heard of the Communist Manifesto perchance?
Green Ham wrote:

Left -5.75 Lib -6.05

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:24 am

New Bierstaat wrote:Mike Kerry and his friends were in a car joyriding on M-25/27 NB near downtown. Going nearly 150 km/hr on the motorway, he passed by a speed trap. When the police got him pulled over a few miles down the road, he rolled down his window and yelled, "OTHER PEOPLE SPEED TOO, DAMNIT!"

The Officer who happened to be of the NIB said. "Look it's not the speeding, it's because your using inferior km/h. Alright? I will let you off this time but in future you must use mph when speeding in future ok?"

[OOC: That guy is so getting fired.]
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Pesda
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Pesda » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:26 am

New Bierstaat wrote:

Ah, but powerful people can ignore the speed limit, remember. Only if they're powerful.
So does semen.
Green Ham wrote:

Left -5.75 Lib -6.05

Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Deputy Director of the NIB » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:27 am

Pesda wrote:

I quoted exatcly what you said.
Are you not suggesting that we should be prepared to ignore international law?
If that is what you're suggesting, part of your justification for this is "For powerful nations it [the law] can just be ignored." Correct or not?
So please do explain to me how that is different to saying "We should not follow the law, because other people don't follow the law."

You can't just call it a strawman without explaining how.

Seriously you can't work out going from me saying "nations only follow international law when it suits them." to "We should not follow it because others don't." is a stawman?

That is some leap of logic, god help you.

Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Deputy Director of the NIB » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:29 am

Where did I say "We should not follow the law, because other people don't follow the law." if you're so confident you quoted what I said?
Last edited by Deputy Director of the NIB on Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Deputy Director of the NIB » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:31 am

Ainin wrote:

[OOC: That guy is so getting fired.]

He then handed the driver a card. "My name is A.Ainin and my number is on the card if you have any questions."

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:33 am

Ainin wrote:[OOC: That guy is so getting fired.]

He then handed the driver a card. "My name is A.Ainin and my number is on the card if you have any questions."

[OOC: That guy is so getting canned for impersonating the NIB director]
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Deputy Director of the NIB » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:37 am

Ainin wrote:

[OOC: That guy is so getting canned for impersonating the NIB director]

The NIB man with a large mop of blonde hair drove off.

The Neo-Confederate States of America
Attaché

Founded: Jan 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Neo-Confederate States of America » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:40 am

- Chemical Safety Act ABSTAIN
- Repeal the Alcohol Pricing Act AYE
♚ Proud Member of The Partido Tradicionalista!♚
El Partido Tradicionalista!
American, Christian, 15, Heterosexual, Proud Rightist
Senator Anton Vrijstaat in NSGS.
ن In Solidarity with Middle Eastern Christians ن
Neo-Conservative: 11% Nationalistic, 47% Fundamentalist, 27% Reactionary, 10% Authoritarian, 60% Capitalist, 56% Militaristic, 62% Anthropocentric
Economic Left/Right: 7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.54

_[' ]_
(-_Q)
︻╦╤─── Put this in your sig
[█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃▃▃▃ if you're a
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂ Capitalist/Conservative/Libertarian
I█████████████████]
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤

R.I.P Nevanmaa.
Founded, Fri Jun 29 2012 - Unjustly deleted, Sun Apr 6 2014

R.I.P Viritica.
Founded, Fri Nov 25 2011 - Unjustly deleted, Wed Aug 6 2014

Pesda
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Pesda » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:48 am

International law really is a load of crap. It's only law for small nations who are bullied into following it if they decided not to follow it voluntarily. For powerful nations it can just be ignored. Secondly you can't really call it law when not everybody is signed up for the same set of rules, it's really just another level of bilateral agreements between nations that agree to sign the same thing. Anyway whether it's morally right or wrong it's legal according to Russian law. We both know International law is meaningless, to be used as justification when it suits and ignored when it does not.

Right, when it read this, it looked like you were suggesting that we should be prepared to ignore international law. The following quotes look like that to me.
International law really is a load of crap.

We both know International law is meaningless,

If you're saying that international law is meaningless and pointless, then it looked to me as if you implied that we not pay any attention to it. That may have been a mistake.

If you are not suggesting that we ignore international law, then this is a case of me reading it wrong. If that is the case, then I am at fault and I offer my apology.

If you are suggesting we ignore international law, that brings me to the second point. The following quote says that powerful nations can ignore international law, which is the same as "other people don't follow the law."
For powerful nations it can just be ignored.

If your point was to suggest we ignore international law, the above would seem like a justification for that. Hence, "because."

However, it seems I was wrong to read "it's crap," and "it's meaningless" as "it's to be ignored." If so, then I accept the blame to be on me.
So does semen.
Green Ham wrote:

Left -5.75 Lib -6.05

Dendart
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dendart » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:02 am

*senator Charles enters the chamber* "I would like to make a motion closing the vote on the current bills"
Senator George Durand
The Civic Union, fighting for you.
Economic Left/Right: 7.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.03
http://www.breitbart.com

New Bierstaat
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Bierstaat » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:13 am

New Bierstaat wrote:Mike Kerry and his friends were in a car joyriding on M-25/27 NB near downtown. Going nearly 150 km/hr on the motorway, he passed by a speed trap. When the police got him pulled over a few miles down the road, he rolled down his window and yelled, "OTHER PEOPLE SPEED TOO, DAMNIT!"

"Boris!" said Kerry, astonished to see the Deputy Director of the NIB. "I'll be sure to do that next time. Thanks for letting me off."

Kerry drove up the shoulder, got up to expressway speed, and merged in with traffic at 60 miles per hour.
POLITICAL COMPASS
Economic +2.75
Social +1.28

Thomas Jefferson wrote:I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 20, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:53 am

Okay, let's try this again. I would like to submit this under Domestic Development.

Re-Innovation of the Broadcasting Act

Urgency: High| Author(s): Zurkerx| Category: Domestic Development

Co-sponsors: The Liberated Territories [LPA], Skeckoa [LPA], McKleigh [LPA], Panmerica [LPA], New Zepuha [ALM]

RECOGNIZING that the Aurentina Television Network Revision Act was passed to sustain the Aurentisë Televisënetwörk.

UNDERSTANDING that the Second Amendment to the Broadcasting Act was passed due to concern of bias advertisement from private companies.

CONCERN that the Second Amendment to the Broadcasting Act significantly cuts funds from the Aurentisë Televisënetwörk.

BELIEVING that less of a burden will not only be put on the Citizens of Aurentina, but the Aurentine Government as well.

REALIZING that the Aurentisë Televisënetwörk can survive through other means of funding.

HEREBY ENACTS the following clauses:

Clause 1- Aurentisë Televisënetwörk will no longer be supported by the Aurentine Government to keep it funded.

Clause 2- The Second Amendment to the Broadcasting Act is hereby null and void in its entirely.

Clause 3- The Aurentisë Televisënetwörk shall become a Commercial Broadcaster.

Clause 4- The Aurentina Television Network Revision Act will still be in affect until the first day of 2016.

THE FOLLOWING is defined:

- A Commercial Broadcaster is a broadcaster by corporate media that broadcasts private television programs and radio programming.

Funding will proceed as the following:

-The Aurentisë Televisënetwörk shall be funded by grants from charities or individuals.

-The Aurentisë Televisënetwörk shall be funded by paid advertisers as well.

IN THE EVENT that the Aurentisë Televisënetwörk has loses on their financial report, the Aurentina Government can underwrite the losses.

-The Aurentina Government cannot underwrite anything else in the Aurentisë Televisënetwörk.

-Underwriting will occur on December 31 of every year, IF there are any loses in the financial report.

THIS BILL shall take affect on January 1, 2016.
Last edited by Zurkerx on Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
A Golden Civic: The New Pragmatic Libertarian
My Words: Indeed, Indubitably & Malarkey
Retired Admin in NSGS and NS Parliament

Accountant, Author, History Buff, Political Junkie
“Has ambition so eclipsed principle?” ~ Mitt Romney
"Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value." ~ Albert Einstein
"Trust, but verify." ~ Ronald Reagan

Arenden
Civilian

Founded: Mar 03, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Arenden » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:24 am

This is an official statement of the Independentist Front of Arenden.

Any military mobilization will be regarded as a hostile act towards the people of Arenden.

There is no other way of avoiding a war between the IFA and Aurentina other than for Aurentina to immediately recognise the independence of Arenden.

Only then will we accept to seek common ground for international agreements, as long as they will take the independence of Arenden as a certain and undeniable reality.

Should this not happen, we are ready to engage in a military confrontation to defend our rights of self-determination.

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:26 am

Arenden wrote:(Image)

This is an official statement of the Independentist Front of Arenden.

Any military mobilization will be regarded as a hostile act towards the people of Arenden.

There is no other way of avoiding a war between the IFA and Aurentina other than for Aurentina to immediately recognise the independence of Arenden.

Only then will we accept to seek common ground for international agreements, as long as they will take the independence of Arenden as a certain and undeniable reality.

Should this not happen, we are ready to engage in a military confrontation to defend our rights of self-determination.

Yo bro, make a new thread for this and stop spamming the Chamber.

Mediciano
Envoy

Founded: Mar 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mediciano » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:30 pm

OOC: The Arenden guy had also better actually do something if he wants the government to respond because, until we hear otherwise, these are just stupid letters written by a madman and mailed to the chamber.

Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Deputy Director of the NIB » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:32 pm

Mediciano wrote:OOC: The Arenden guy had also better actually do something if he wants the government to respond because, until we hear otherwise, these are just stupid letters written by a madman and mailed to the chamber.

Solution, if we bomb the place back to the stone age we won't get anymore letters.

Mediciano
Envoy

Founded: Mar 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mediciano » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:34 pm

Mediciano wrote:OOC: The Arenden guy had also better actually do something if he wants the government to respond because, until we hear otherwise, these are just stupid letters written by a madman and mailed to the chamber.

Solution, if we bomb the place back to the stone age we won't get anymore letters.

That operation's classified...

Resora
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Resora » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:32 pm

CSA: abstain
RAPA: aye
The history of progress is written in the blood of men and women who have dared to espouse an unpopular cause.

Member of the Free Communists (District 108)
Left/Right: -10.00
Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.45
Alternate Test
Political Views

Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Deputy Director of the NIB » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:19 pm

Closing voting now.

Phocidaea
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Phocidaea » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:44 pm

Not only is this highly illegal, but my house is in there!
Call me Phoca.
Senator [Unknown] of the Liberal Democrats in NSG Senate.
Je suis Charlie: Because your feels don't justify murder.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives