NATION

PASSWORD

The (Semi-) Myth Of Political Correctness

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:57 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Forster Keys wrote:Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from criticism.

Exactly my point.

I thought I'd sum it up for you. :p
The blue sky above beckons us to take our freedom, to paint our path across its vastness. Across a million blades of grass, through the roars of our elation and a thousand thundering hooves, we begin our reply.

Solaray
Senator

Founded: Jun 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Solaray » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:58 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Solaray wrote:Political correctness is alright until you start getting sued for saying "Merry Christmas". (Or similar instances)

Who gets sued for saying "Merry Christmas"?

I've heard of instances where employers will say Merry Christmas to a non-Christian employee, and proceed to be sued over it. On the flip side, I've also heard of people losing their job for saying it. Another example is making it illegal to put any form of Christmas decorations in the public streets, but that's a different matter.
Sig closed for construction.

Est. completion date: Summer 2054

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:58 pm

Forster Keys wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Exactly my point.

I thought I'd sum it up for you. :p

My thanks.

Quintium
Negotiator

Founded: May 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Quintium » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:58 pm

And I'm not saying it does. What I am saying, though, is that societies should be more tolerant - a buzz word, forgive me - of opinions that fall outside what that society considers 'clean' or 'normal'. You shouldn't be afraid to criticise a point of view, but it would be better if you'd refrain from simply ignoring it, ridiculing the person who brought it up and staying safe inside your bubble.
I'm a melancholic, bipedal, 1/128th Native Batavian polyhistor. My preferred pronouns are "his majesty"/"his majesty".

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:59 pm

Solaray wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

I've heard of instances where employers will say Merry Christmas to a non-Christian employee, and proceed to be sued over it. On the flip side, I've also heard of people losing their job for saying it. Another example is making it illegal to put any form of Christmas decorations in the public streets, but that's a different matter.

Heard of it?

Do you have links? Examples that I can look at? Anything that isn't the equivalent of "My nephew's best friend's drinking buddy told me..."?

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:00 pm

Quintium wrote:

And I'm not saying it does. What I am saying, though, is that societies should be more tolerant - a buzz word, forgive me - of opinions that fall outside what that society considers 'clean' or 'normal'. You shouldn't be afraid to criticise a point of view, but it would be better if you'd refrain from simply ignoring it, ridiculing the person who brought it up and staying safe inside your bubble.

Why? Doesn't free speech also include ignoring opinions one finds ridiculous, or ridiculing the person who brought it up?

Terra Sector Union
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Sector Union » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:00 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Solaray wrote:Political correctness is alright until you start getting sued for saying "Merry Christmas". (Or similar instances)

Probably a non-christian worker that works in a business where Merry Christmas signs are all over the workplace. I don't even mind the PC term "Happy Holidays" but "Happy Winter Solstice" is laughable.
Last edited by Terra Sector Union on Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For so long, Mankind has been plagued by division. Division by culture, creed, skin color, religion and nationality. These very divisions have been the cause of most human conflicts. But in the age of globalism, we can finally have that chance to implement a world government where all human beings are seen as equals. Isn't that what everyone wants? World peace? I do. You should support that too. It may not end all conflicts, but the reductions of Man on Man violence will be at an all time low when the entire planet gets administered by one governing body.

Strobe Talbot. wrote:n the next century (now), nations as we know it will be obsolete; all states will recognize a single global authority and realize national sovereignty wasn’t such a great deal after all.

Solaray
Senator

Founded: Jun 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Solaray » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:01 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Solaray wrote:I've heard of instances where employers will say Merry Christmas to a non-Christian employee, and proceed to be sued over it. On the flip side, I've also heard of people losing their job for saying it. Another example is making it illegal to put any form of Christmas decorations in the public streets, but that's a different matter.

Heard of it?

Do you have links? Examples that I can look at? Anything that isn't the equivalent of "My nephew's best friend's drinking buddy told me..."?

I'm having trouble finding some, so it very well may have been false. But I do know that some businesses put a sort of "Happy Holidays, or else" policy in effect, to avoid controversy, but since that's their business, it's their right to do so.
Last edited by Solaray on Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sig closed for construction.

Est. completion date: Summer 2054

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

The UK in Exile
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby The UK in Exile » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:01 pm

Quintium wrote:

many ideas are minority and unpopular for a reason and those holding them do so in the face all contravening evidence and reason. In such circumstance ignoring or ridiculing is the only way of ending a conversation that is in no way intended to be a debate. As some dead dude once said: "a fanatic is someone who won't change his mind and won't change the subject." In which case he can't blame everyone for laughing at him till he shuts up.
Last edited by The UK in Exile on Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We fought for the public good and would have enfranchised the people and secured the welfare of the whole groaning creation, if the nation had not more delighted in servitude than in freedom"

"My actions are as noble as my thoughts, That never relish’d of a base descent.I came unto your court for honour’s cause, And not to be a rebel to her state; And he that otherwise accounts of me, This sword shall prove he’s honour’s enemy."

"Wählte Ungnade, wo Gehorsam nicht Ehre brachte."
DEFCON 0 - not at war
DEFCON 1 - at war "go to red alert!" "are you absolutely sure sir? it does mean changing the lightbulb."

Quintium
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Quintium » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:04 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:Why? Doesn't free speech also include ignoring opinions one finds ridiculous, or ridiculing the person who brought it up?

In a way. And I'm not saying we should ban any of that. However, it's toxic to public debate and it prevents ideas - some of them very useful - from being heard. When the intellectual caste an entire society scoffs at your ideas, ridicules you and uses social pressure to shut you up, it's very difficult to get an idea in even if it is pretty obviously useful. Orwell, for example, was ostracised and some of his works weren't published because he had criticised the Soviet Union under Stalin and, in a way, under Lenin. He was ridiculed, ostracised and basically refused a platform to honestly discuss his ideas because - and that's where political correctness comes in - the people he wanted to discuss those ideas with were afraid of what the Russian government would think.

It's all a form of fear, really. The perception is that the group is under threat if the individual keeps talking about his 'dangerous' ideas, so those ideas are widely denounced as stupid and a tight lid is kept on the author so that the group can distance itself from the individual.
Last edited by Quintium on Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a melancholic, bipedal, 1/128th Native Batavian polyhistor. My preferred pronouns are "his majesty"/"his majesty".

Priory Academy USSR
Senator

Founded: May 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Priory Academy USSR » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:06 pm

Terra Sector Union wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Probably a non-christian worker that works in a business where Merry Christmas signs are all over the workplace. I don't even mind the PC term "Happy Holidays" but "Happy Winter Solstice" is laughable.

Happy Holidays isn't PC, it's appeasing Pastafarians.
Call me what you will. Some people prefer 'Idiot'
Economic Compass
Left -7.00
Libertarian -2.67

Quintium
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Quintium » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:07 pm

Terra Sector Union wrote:Probably a non-christian worker that works in a business where Merry Christmas signs are all over the workplace. I don't even mind the PC term "Happy Holidays" but "Happy Winter Solstice" is laughable.

Actually, Winter Solstice is a pagan festival so it could be considered offensive to everyone but a tiny minority in some European countries.

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:08 pm

Solaray wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Heard of it?

I'm having trouble finding some, so it very well may have been false. But I do know that some businesses put a sort of "Happy Holidays, or else" policy in effect, to avoid controversy, but since that's their business, it's their right to do so.

Well, I assume many stores implement such a policy to appeal to more customers.
Quintium wrote:

I make it a personal policy not to ignore an idea until I've heard it. If I simply ignore or ridicule something without apparently considering it, it's because I've either heard it before and considered it or I considered it and it was ridiculous enough that I could decide faster than one might want.
piss

Quintium
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Quintium » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:14 pm

Here's an example of political correctness in the wider sense of the word. A whistleblower talks to his boss about the widespread fraud he has seen in the workplace. He's told: "Don't ever mention that again, you pessimist, or you might bring down the company. All is going well, and that's that." Political correctness, I think, is not just refusing to hear certain opinions - it is, in a more general sense, a reaction out of fear. Fear, that something you've been taught is right and with which you feel comfortable turns out to be wrong. Fear, that your life might change for the worse if some things come to light. Blissful ignorance over an uncomfortable truth, basically.

The UK in Exile
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby The UK in Exile » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:16 pm

Quintium wrote:Here's an example of political correctness in the wider sense of the word. A whistleblower talks to his boss about the widespread fraud he has seen in the workplace. He's told: "Don't ever mention that again, you pessimist, or you might bring down the company. All is going well, and that's that." Political correctness, I think, is not just refusing to hear certain opinions - it is, in a more general sense, a reaction out of fear. Fear, that something you've been taught is right and with which you feel comfortable turns out to be wrong. Fear, that your life might change for the worse if some things come to light. Blissful ignorance over an uncomfortable truth, basically.

Except, generally, society has a pretty low opinion of fraud and a pretty high opinion of people who uncover it.

So that's a very bad example.
"We fought for the public good and would have enfranchised the people and secured the welfare of the whole groaning creation, if the nation had not more delighted in servitude than in freedom"

"My actions are as noble as my thoughts, That never relish’d of a base descent.I came unto your court for honour’s cause, And not to be a rebel to her state; And he that otherwise accounts of me, This sword shall prove he’s honour’s enemy."

"Wählte Ungnade, wo Gehorsam nicht Ehre brachte."
DEFCON 0 - not at war
DEFCON 1 - at war "go to red alert!" "are you absolutely sure sir? it does mean changing the lightbulb."

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:19 pm

Except, you know, that doesn't happen.
LITERALLY UNLIKE ANY OTHER RP REGION & DON'T REPORT THIS SIG
█████████████████▌TIANDI ____________██____██
_______███▌MAP _______________██_____██_████████
█████████████████▌WIKI _______██______██___██____██
_______████ DISCORD ________██████___██____██______█

____████__████ SIGNUP _________██___████___██____
__████_______████_____________██______██__________██
████____________████_______█████████___███████████

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:24 pm

Quintium wrote:

I endeavour not to.
The blue sky above beckons us to take our freedom, to paint our path across its vastness. Across a million blades of grass, through the roars of our elation and a thousand thundering hooves, we begin our reply.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:48 pm

Quintium wrote:Here's an example of political correctness in the wider sense of the word. A whistleblower talks to his boss about the widespread fraud he has seen in the workplace. He's told: "Don't ever mention that again, you pessimist, or you might bring down the company. All is going well, and that's that." Political correctness, I think, is not just refusing to hear certain opinions - it is, in a more general sense, a reaction out of fear. Fear, that something you've been taught is right and with which you feel comfortable turns out to be wrong. Fear, that your life might change for the worse if some things come to light. Blissful ignorance over an uncomfortable truth, basically.

That's not political correctness by any definition that I've ever heard for the term. That's the silencing of whistleblowers, and there's specific legislation out there to protect people who do that (often opposed, interestingly enough, by the same party that has the greater number of people complaining about "political correctness"). How in the world does that even begin to relate to people being called out for stating controversial opinions, whether such opinions are credible or not?

I'll answer my own question: It doesn't. You're talking about something entirely different. You're attempting to change the definition of what's being discussed to a broader topic that doesn't actually apply on any reasonable level, and it's an insult to the intelligence of every single other person taking part in this conversation.

Lithosano
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Lithosano » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:54 pm

Quintium wrote:
Terra Sector Union wrote:Probably a non-christian worker that works in a business where Merry Christmas signs are all over the workplace. I don't even mind the PC term "Happy Holidays" but "Happy Winter Solstice" is laughable.

Actually, Winter Solstice is a pagan festival so it could be considered offensive to everyone but a tiny minority in some European countries.

Actually the winter solstice is the solstice that occurs during the winter months, and a solstice is an astronomical event. Not only should that not offend anyone (any more than a full moon should offend someone), damn near every culture marks the solstice in some form or another.

Get your facts straight.
Learn Things AND Feed the Hungry!
Pro: Social Democracy, Humanism, Equality, Roosevelt, Free science, US Dollar Coin, Renewable and Nuclear Energy
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.77
Cosmopolitan Social Democrat
Gay Male

Gylias
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 19, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gylias » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:55 pm

I find it hilarious how some conservatives whine about political correctness when they practice quite a bit of it, and so much of their complaints basically boil down to "WAAH WHY AM I BEING CALLED OUT FOR BEING RUDE I WANT TO BE NASTY TO PEOPLE WITHOUT CONSEQUENCES".
Last edited by Gylias on Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:05 pm

Terra Sector Union wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

I am almost certain nobody has ever advocated "Happy Winter Solstice". Just because of all the other holidays splattered all over the place. New Year's, for example, even if you claim that all the other holidays are secretly the Solstice.
piss

Trolldonia
Envoy

Founded: Jul 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Trolldonia » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:25 pm

"Political correctness" does not exist as we know it. What the right tends to call "political correctness" is actually properly called anti-racism, anti-sexism, anti-bigotry or anti-whatever nasty thing is being opposed. Sounds a lot better that way, doesn't it? :roll:

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: The (Semi-) Myth Of Political Correctness

Postby Alien Space Bats » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:26 pm

Quintium wrote:My signature has a very sensible point on political correctness. The subjects for political correctness may have changed since the early 1940s, but the ways in which it is generally carried out have not. It's not so much overt government censorship - which is a shame, because then people couldn't deny it - but rather a sickening, deceptive form of self-censorship by those genuinely afraid of offending someone or something they're afraid to offend.

Let's be honest with ourselves: Conservative carpring about political correctness is largely an effort to avoid getting called out for being racist, sexist, or homophobic. It's as if Conservative America is telling the rest of us, "Look, if I want to call a black man 'nigger', a woman 'slut', and a gay man 'faggot", that's not my problem — it's yours. Grow a pair, accept my right to offend you, AND DON'T TALK BACK."

Thus, my response to criticism of "political correctness": If you want to be a racist, sexist, homophobic, or religious bigot, go ahead — shoot off your mouth. Use whatever hateful language and vile epithets you want; that IS indeed your right.

But don't whine when I rhetorically tear you a bloody new asshole, calling you out for your small-minded hatefulness and unsuitability as even a poor facsimile of a human being. If you're going to reserve the right to be insensitive to others around you, then I'm going to reserve the right to make your asshattery abundantly clear to the world, and ride you off into the sunset like a broken quarterhorse until you can't stand the sound of my voice in your ear.

Because if you insist on exercising your God-given right to bring discomfort and misery to the loves of others, then I'm going to make it my Karmic mission to bring discomfort and misery to yours. First Amendment, bitches.
Last edited by Alien Space Bats on Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

Slooshas Crossing
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Slooshas Crossing » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:57 pm

Alien Space Bats wrote:
Quintium wrote:My signature has a very sensible point on political correctness. The subjects for political correctness may have changed since the early 1940s, but the ways in which it is generally carried out have not. It's not so much overt government censorship - which is a shame, because then people couldn't deny it - but rather a sickening, deceptive form of self-censorship by those genuinely afraid of offending someone or something they're afraid to offend.

Let's be honest with ourselves: Conservative carpring about political correctness is largely an effort to avoid getting called out for being racist, sexist, or homophobic. It's as if Conservative America is telling the rest of us, "Look, if I want to call a black man 'nigger', a woman 'slut', and a gay man 'faggot", that's not my problem — it's yours. Grow a pair, accept my right to offend you, AND DON'T TALK BACK."

Thus, my response to criticism of "political correctness": If you want to be a racist, sexist, homophobic, or religious bigot, go ahead — shoot off your mouth. Use whatever hateful language and vile epithets you want; that IS indeed your right.

But don't whine when I rhetorically tear you a bloody new asshole, calling you out for your small-minded hatefulness and unsuitability as even a poor facsimile of a human being. If you're going to reserve the right to be insensitive to others around you, then I'm going to reserve the right to make your asshattery abundantly clear to the world, and ride you off into the sunset like a broken quarterhorse until you can't stand the sound of my voice in your ear.

Because if you insist on exercising your God-given right to bring discomfort and misery to the loves of others, then I'm going to make it my Karmic mission to bring discomfort and misery to yours. First Amendment, bitches.

This post sorely needs a dropped mic at the end.
Why undermine the dominance of our race, our gunships, our heritage & our legacy? Why fight the “natural” (oh, weaselly word!) order of things? Why? Because of this: one fine day, a purely predatory world shall consume itself. Yes, the devil shall take the hindmost until the foremost is the hindmost. In an individual, selfishness uglifies the soul. For the human species, selfishness is extinction.

sunt lacrimae rerum

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:59 pm

Frisivisia wrote:Yeah, political correctness is for black pussy liberal nigger-faggots, and don't you get offended.

Fixed for the reference
password scrambled

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General