NATION

PASSWORD

World Korfball Classic III (Discussion)

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Sideburn
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Sideburn » Sat May 25, 2013 10:52 pm

The... scorination is basically the point.

I'll maybe have a bid up in a couple days if there aren't any others by then.
The old ways were best!

Original nation behind Nephara. New Sideburn now symbolises an ideal, rather than a nation.

Saintland
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saintland » Sun May 26, 2013 4:48 am

I'll get a bid up today with my Free Republics puppet, but I'd prefer if somebody would volunteer to scorinate my group and any knockout round games involving my team.

Since the "nation" that I entered obviously cannot host home games, their home games (if any) will take place in Free Republics.
Why I left NS Sports
NS Sports Results | Saintland Press | Commentaries on the WA's resolutions 7-22-14 update: Complete through #125 |
World Baseball Classic 27 co-host | World Bowl XXII host | World Cup of Hockey 23 host | Various Rankings | King Paulus XV Memorial Games
Official Name: Regnvm Sanctvsterra
Official Name in English: Kingdom of Saintland
Monarch: King Paulus XVI
Demonym: Sanctii
Trigram: SNT

Free Republics
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Republics » Sun May 26, 2013 5:34 am

A Republican Bid for the 3rd World Korfball Classic

Format

The format would be 4 groups of 4 with a double round-robin, home and away. Home games for Feministvs Sanctvsterra would be hosted in the Federation of Free Republics. Top 2 per group would advance to an AFL (Australian football)-style tournament. Preferably, a 3rd party would scorinate Feministvs Sanctvsterra's group and tournament games.

Tiebreakers

Ties will be settled by head-to-head record, followed by head-to-head point differential and then overall point differential. If still tied, a playoff will be used to settle the tie.

Scorination & RP Bonuses

Scorination will be done with Xkoranate, using the korfball function. No rankings will be used. RP bonuses will be cumulative, out of 1 point per day, entered into Xkoranate as rankings. The maximum rank will be set to 1.0 or the maximum bonus earned up to that point, whichever is larger. An additional RP bonus of a half point will be awarded for rosters. RP bonuses for any possible tiebreaker playoff will not be cumulative.

Hosting Experience

I previously hosted the Saintland Triple Crown to completion on my main account.

IC reasons for bidding

Nicholls Enterprises owns the Nicholls Enterprises Arena in the city of Baseton and they are looking for events to hold at their arena. They heard about the World Korfball Classic in the pages of Sporting World. Apparently, the defending world champions were unable to host home games because their home nation, a remote island to the north of the Federation run by religious extremists, was looking to arrest them on sight. The Nicholls family were not happy that their own Republic had recently elected Christian extremists, causing their son Veleik to flee the country to attend a school abroad. They decided to offer to host Feministvs Sanctvsterra's "home" games and to bid for the World Korfball Classic, even though the sport was not played in the FFR. It was worthwhile just to send a message to the tyrants that ran Saintland and their arena wasn't being used for anything anyway. The local basketball team had just finished their season, finishing last in the league yet again. The Nicholls family never made bad investments, but Nicholls Enterprises Arena definitely appeared to be a money pit.

I welcome any questions or comments about the bid, which was admittedly rushed so I probably forgot something important.
Last edited by Free Republics on Sun May 26, 2013 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why I left NS Sports
World Cup 85 Champions
1st: DBC 28, X Winter Olympics, Independents Cup 4, CoH 66, WBC 46, World Bowl XXXVIII, World Cup 85
2nd: World Cup 68, DBC 27, U15WC 8, UWCFA Gold Cup I, BoI 15, 2nd Imperial Chap Olympiad, NSCF 11
Host: World Cups 68 & 81, CoH 58, Games of XIII Olympiad, X Winter Olympics, World Bowls XXII, XXXI & XXXVIII, WBCs 42 & 46, RUWC 25
Current Senior Consul: Nova Hellstrom-Hancock (Golden Age)
Current Junior Consul: Samuel Izmailov (Nat-Gre)
Demonym: Republican
Trigram: FFR
Official Nation Name: Federation of Free Republics
Stop Biden: Vote Trump!

Sicoutimont
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sicoutimont » Sun May 26, 2013 6:06 am

Sicoutimont Host Bid for World Korfball Classic III

The Host

Sicoutimont is a calm and large nation in southern Rushmore. Korfball isn't the most popular sport in the nation, but with a sports-obsessed population, this tournament will be extremely popular. Sicoutimont has previously hosted the 12th Baptism of Fire, recently Beach Cup VIII, and a large domestic club system: 16-45 teams spanning the sports of football, gridiron, hockey, handball and baseball. In addition to this, the Campeonto Rushmori Juvenil Sub-17 was hosted here, and these were all done with the help of xkoranate and NSFS 3.0.

Format
16 teams are signed up for the competition. We will use 4 groups of 4 teams. A single round robin group stage (3 matchdays) will be played. The top 2 teams in each group will make the quarterfinals. In the playoffs, the format will be A1vC2, A2vC1, B1vD2, and B2vD1. The winners will then play-off. The quarterfinals will be a best-of-1 series, the semifinals best-of-3, the finals and third place playoff a best-of-3 as well. If Sicoutimont reaches the playoff stages, third party scorination will be requested. All matches will be played at different stadiums around Sicoutimont, the 8 that will be required released if Sicoutimont should be elected host.

Tie-Breakers
Standings will be sorted like this: Points, H2H Points, Goal Differential, then Goals For. 3 points will be awarded for a win, 1 for a draw, and obviously, 0 points for a loss.

Scorination
Xkoranate's korfball option will be used to scorinate the tournament. Since there are no WKC rankings, none will be used. RP bonus will be cumulative, with the possibility to earn up to 1 point per day in roleplay bonuses. 0.25 points will be for a poor quality post, 0.5 for an average post, 0.75 for a good post, and 1.0 for a very good post. 0.5 points will be given for a roster post. Quality will be judged over quantity when judging roleplays. I hope to cut-off each day at hours between 4-5 eastern standard time, with scores hopefully coming soon after the cut-off.

That's all, folks. If you have any questions at all, please post them in this thread or send me a telegram. I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks, and good luck to my bidding counterpart Free Republics/Saintland!
Last edited by Sicoutimont on Sun May 26, 2013 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Democratic Green Republic of Sicoutimont
Population: 110,500,000 | Capital: Lac-Drouin | Language: Sicoutian | Country Code: SIC

Under the wise leadership of Chairman Alphonse Pomeroy we will brighten our future!

Shadowbourne
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowbourne » Sun May 26, 2013 8:44 am

Just a quick question for Sicoutimont: why does goals scored come before goal differential in the tiebreakers?

EDIT: Also, to answer IPA's question, xkoranate is currently unavailable for mobile devices such as iOS or Android. Right now, its only available on Mac and Windows, and maybe Linux, although I'm not sure. It would be pretty difficult to scorinate a tournament on a phone or even a tablet anyways, since there would be a lot of window switching required and it would be a pain to transfer the results from the scorinator to a post.
Last edited by Shadowbourne on Sun May 26, 2013 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Demonym: Bournean || Trigramme: SDB || Population: 147,129,762 || Telephone Code: +817 || TLD: .sdb

3rd Place: WKC IV
2nd Place:
None
1st Place: None
NSTracker | Embassy Program | Factbook
This nation represents 75% of my real-life views.

Sicoutimont
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Sicoutimont » Sun May 26, 2013 9:11 am

Shadowbourne wrote:Just a quick question for Sicoutimont: why does goals scored come before goal differential in the tiebreakers?

EDIT: Also, to answer IPA's question, xkoranate is currently unavailable for mobile devices such as iOS or Android. Right now, its only available on Mac and Windows, and maybe Linux, although I'm not sure. It would be pretty difficult to scorinate a tournament on a phone or even a tablet anyways, since there would be a lot of window switching required and it would be a pain to transfer the results from the scorinator to a post.

Did I put that? Sorry, must have been my sleep-deprived state haha. GD should come before GF, I'll edit that into my bid right now. Thanks for noticing.
Population: 110,500,000 | Capital: Lac-Drouin | Language: Sicoutian | Country Code: SIC

Under the wise leadership of Chairman Alphonse Pomeroy we will brighten our future!

Some Village
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Some Village » Sun May 26, 2013 12:36 pm

Two good bids, if you ask me and best of luck to both.

Two small questions to Saintland/FR/FS:
Why the double round robin in the first round?
If there is an additional match for the numbers 5 to 8, how will that work out in RP bonus? Will it not be added or should the winning teams in the first round (automatic to semi-finals) RP without game? But I really like the idea behind the AFL-style tournament (maybe it is even applicable to the WC of Football qualifications, to think a bity out of the box here).

Two small questions to Sicoutimont:
Why only best-of-three in semi's and finals and not in the quarterfinals? Or even better formulated: why also in the semi's and not only in the finals?
Similar to a question to Saintland, how will RP bonus of an optional third semi-final be handled?

But, as said, both sound solid!
Cycling: host of the Island Tours & the WToC
Rugby: participant in the AVRU & host RWC XXI
Swamp Soccer: fourth place in the last World Championship
Korfball: victor of the World Korfball Classic III, second of the WKC IV (KPB: 2th)
Olympics: medals: four. Not too bad for a micronation.

Member of Astyria
Confirmed Puppet: Buyan
Population: 254

Shadowbourne
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowbourne » Sun May 26, 2013 2:56 pm

Sicoutimont wrote:Did I put that? Sorry, must have been my sleep-deprived state haha. GD should come before GF, I'll edit that into my bid right now. Thanks for noticing.

Alright, that makes more sense.

Thanks for the quick response.

Demonym: Bournean || Trigramme: SDB || Population: 147,129,762 || Telephone Code: +817 || TLD: .sdb

2nd Place:
None

Saintland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Saintland » Sun May 26, 2013 7:26 pm

Some Village wrote:Two small questions to Saintland/FR/FS:
Why the double round robin in the first round?

Your questions are very good questions, as they are about the main area of difference between my bid and Sicoutimont's bid. There are some minor differences with tiebreakers, but I think both bids are very similar in regards to RP bonuses and both bids use the same scorinator. I am confident that Sicoutimont would also be a good host.

My bid uses 4 groups of 4, so a single round robin would be 3 match days in group stage. I think that is too short. The scorinator can produce fluke results on any given day (for example "Margaret Lies" DNFing in a prep race during the Triple Crown and being eliminated despite being a top-ranked horse from the nation that had the largest RP bonus). A group stage of just 3 days magnifies the impact of those, if they happen, an I would prefer the other R (RP) be more important in determining who advances.

If there is an additional match for the numbers 5 to 8, how will that work out in RP bonus? Will it not be added or should the winning teams in the first round (automatic to semi-finals) RP without game? But I really like the idea behind the AFL-style tournament (maybe it is even applicable to the WC of Football qualifications, to think a bity out of the box here).

There is an additional match for the losers from 1-4 (group winners) and the winners from 5-8 (group runners-up). The group winners that win on the first day get a bye to the semis. I will double the semis bonus for the 2 that earn the bye and any RPs during the bye day will count toward the semis, so they will each have the opportunity to earn a bonus out of 6 for RPing (plus the .5 bonus for a roster) for the semis. If multiple RPs are posted by the same nation within the same day, I will count them as a single RP for the purpose of determining bonus.

I feel that group winners should be rewarded for winning their group, so the opportunity to earn a bye straight to the semis or, at worst, get a second chance to advance the following day.
Why I left NS Sports
NS Sports Results | Saintland Press | Commentaries on the WA's resolutions 7-22-14 update: Complete through #125 |
World Baseball Classic 27 co-host | World Bowl XXII host | World Cup of Hockey 23 host | Various Rankings | King Paulus XV Memorial Games

Sicoutimont
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Sicoutimont » Mon May 27, 2013 3:50 am

Some Village wrote:Two small questions to Sicoutimont:
Why only best-of-three in semi's and finals and not in the quarterfinals? Or even better formulated: why also in the semi's and not only in the finals?
Similar to a question to Saintland, how will RP bonus of an optional third semi-final be handled?

To answer your first question, best-of-three in the semi's and finals was decided on because I feel that once you get into the playoffs, anything can happen, and when it comes down to the best four teams remaining according to Margaret, with no rank, it gives a good chance for a well-roleplaying team to avoid a fluke that could be caused by a random result at this stage in the tournament. I chose not to have best-of-3 in the quarterfinals because of a reason similar to your other question. To answer said question, the RP bonus for the possible third semi-final will be handled like this: the teams that may not have had to play will have their semis bonus doubled so that they can earn the same as a team that got an extra opportunity to roleplay. Of course, if both series go the distance, this won't be needed.

Shadowbourne
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowbourne » Wed May 29, 2013 12:40 pm

Alright, host voting will now begin. Anyone who has signed up and is not Saintland or Sicoutimont is eligible to vote.

Your options are listed below.

A) Award the World Korfball Classic to Free Republics (Bid)
B) Award the World Korfball Classic to Sicoutimont (Bid)
C) Reopen host bidding
D) Officially abstain

Please TG your votes to me by 8 o'clock PM EST.

2nd Place:
None

Shadowbourne
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowbourne » Fri May 31, 2013 4:38 pm

Voting Results

A) Award the World Korfball Classic to Free Republics - 2 votes
B) Award the World Korfball Classic to Sicoutimont - 1 vote
C) Reopen host bidding - 1 vote
D) Officially abstain - 1 vote

Commiserations to Sicoutimont, and congratulations to Saintland on winning the vote. The tournament is now in your hands- good luck!

2nd Place:
None

Saintland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Saintland » Fri May 31, 2013 5:25 pm

Shadowbourne wrote:Voting Results

A) Award the World Korfball Classic to Free Republics - 2 votes
B) Award the World Korfball Classic to Sicoutimont - 1 vote
C) Reopen host bidding - 1 vote
D) Officially abstain - 1 vote

Commiserations to Sicoutimont, and congratulations to Saintland on winning the vote. The tournament is now in your hands- good luck!

I'm somewhat surprised that I won the vote, but I hope to have the thread and the draw up tonight after I finish the WBC RP I'm currently working on, with the first matchday likely occurring on Wednesday to give everybody time to post a roster and an RP. Once the group draw is up, I'm willing to accept offers for 3rd party scorination for Feministvs Sanctvsterra's group and any matches should they advance. If no offers of 3rd party scorination are forthcoming, I will scorinate Feministvs Sanctvsterra matches.
Why I left NS Sports

Free Republics
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Republics » Fri May 31, 2013 7:32 pm

I hope there are no objections to borrowing the generic World Korfball Classic logo, since I have no graphical design abilities whatsoever. The everything thread is up.

If I forgot to include something in the everything thread that should be in there, let me know, either via this thread or by TG (to either Free Republics or Saintland).
Why I left NS Sports
World Cup 85 Champions
1st: DBC 28, X Winter Olympics, Independents Cup 4, CoH 66, WBC 46, World Bowl XXXVIII, World Cup 85
2nd: World Cup 68, DBC 27, U15WC 8, UWCFA Gold Cup I, BoI 15, 2nd Imperial Chap Olympiad, NSCF 11
Host: World Cups 68 & 81, CoH 58, Games of XIII Olympiad, X Winter Olympics, World Bowls XXII, XXXI & XXXVIII, WBCs 42 & 46, RUWC 25

New Polynesia
Attaché

Founded: May 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Polynesia » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:18 pm

How do I sign up again?

Some Village
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Some Village » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:33 pm

New Polynesia wrote:How do I sign up again?

I'm afraid you're too late for the World Korfball Classic III, New Polynesia, as the tournament is already going on. Try and look for threads with "sign-ups open" or something along that fashion, those are tournaments which are accepting participants. Good luck!
Korfball: victor of the World Korfball Classic III, second of the WKC IV (KPB: 2th)

Member of Astyria

Sicoutimont
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Sicoutimont » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:36 pm

Cutoff will probably be a little earlier today, around 4:00-4:15, because I have something to attend to at the usual cutoff time. Thanks.

Sicoutimont
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Sicoutimont » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:15 am

I'll be going out today, so the cutoff might be delayed 15-30 minutes. Thanks for understanding, Group 3 members.

Vaugania
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vaugania » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:19 pm

I apologize for the lack of RPing and I regret to say that I won't be able to get any in. I have been very busy lately and barely have any time to write anything and I am using what little time I have on WCoH XXI.
My most favoritest picture ever | Sports Achievements | Poltical Test... just as I suspected
Population: 120,000,000
President: Kris Strong
Active Military: 2,000,000
Military Reserves: 6,500,000 (mandatory reserve service from 18-21)
VAUGANIA
RUSHMORE FOREVER
Just call me Vaug. Or not if that's how you roll.

Free Republics
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Republics » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:23 pm

To make up for my lack of RPing and my failure to post the promised additional information about Free Republics, I have produced a set of Rankings based off a modified KPB formula (using the qualifying formula of *4 for most recent, *2 for 2nd most recent and *1 for 3rd most recent). Overtime wins were counted as draws. Teams that earned a second round bye in WKC3 had their games played (10) reduced by 1. Teams that closed out a series early in WKC2 had their games played (17) reduced by 1 for every unnecessary game of the series. All teams that participated in WKC1 had a 6 in the games played column. I will post the Spreadsheet (a .ods file) if it is requested.

1. New Sideburn 12.78
2. Feministvs Sanctvsterra 12.53
3. Some Village 12.00
4. The Serbian Empire 8.52
5. Kriegiersien 7.55
6. Shadowbourne 6.57
7. Sicoutimont 6.00
8. The Royal Kingdom of Quebec 4.78
9. The Babbage Islands 3.93
10. Indo-Pasif Archipelago 3.60
11. New Iskander 3.25
12. St Lucoa 2.80
13. Schmiegelland 2.52
14. German Zerabithea 2.40
14. Slembana 2.40
16. Lycrabon 2.00
17. Vaugania 1.93
18. Kingdom of Phoenixia 1.83
19. Sudagiu 1.20
20. Grandterre 0.71
20. Tanah Burung 0.71
20. The Paradystopi Lymryk Islands 0.71
23. Free Swiss States 0.40
24. Bloodbath Generation 0.00
24. Free South Califras 0.00
24. Lymantatia 0.00
24. The Bloodied Soul 0.00
Last edited by Free Republics on Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why I left NS Sports
World Cup 85 Champions

Some Village
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Some Village » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:01 pm

Well, that went better than expected. Commiserations to New Sideburn, Kriegiersien and Feministvs and thanks for the hosting, Free Republics!

Member of Astyria

New Sideburn
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Sideburn » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:10 pm

We are steadily becoming the Audioslavia of Korfball.

Oh, well, congratulations on a deserved 1st place finish for Some Village! (PS: We'll 'ave you next time, you bastards, you just wait.)
The old ways were best!

Original nation behind Nephara. New Sideburn now symbolises an ideal, rather than a nation.

Kriegiersien
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 07, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kriegiersien » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:49 am

A terrible fate, like beeing the second richest man of the world and dying with only 120 year of an heart attack. While having sex. So sad.

Take your meadals and choke on it....cough

Cong..Congr...atulations to all winners. *gnarl*

Well don....Welllllll do....you made it.

Thx for the hosting, Free Republics. Curse you for some of the last dice throws (yeah, I know, it's Mouseclicking and typing in letters and numbers that led the software make up the numbers).

Now to Korfball.

I am not sure, but has anyone here an idea about how this sport is played?
I don't, because Korfball here is an exotic sport, in the region I live we have few Korbball team (still exotic and only played by girls) and beeing able to watch a Korfballmatch is pretty hard, even in times of internet.

Anyway, I think I learned some thinks.

- It should be pretty hard to play this sport physical. The implied amount of brutality shouldn't be possible.
- I am pretty sure now, there are no penalty throws as punishment for Dribbling.
- Scoring from about 22 m shouldn't be allowed, as you can only score in the attack zone, as far as I understand. Then again it could haven been 22 feet.

And of course, you can bend and change rules.

See you next time. I hope for revenge. Terrible, bloody revenge.
Winner: Championnat du monde de bandy, NS Arena Bowl, Sepak Takraw World Cup I, World Cup of Masters II

Olympic Medals:
VIII Summer Orean: 2-6-10
IX Summer Zube Kytler Bay City: 6-4-15
X Summer Centralis & Nassau Bay 7-5-12
XI Summer Aeropag 0-2-4
XII Summer Novonaya & Provinsk 9-1-7
XIII Summer Republica 13-16-16
XIV Summer Orean/Istria 22-16-18
XV Summer Terranean Coast/Bunjil 18-19-18
XVI Summer Prescott Twin Cities 11-24-25

IX Winter Olympics Arcon: 2-5-3
X Winter Baseton 1-2-2
XI Winter Prescott 3-8-7
XII Winter Prescott 1-4-5
XIII Winter Prescott 4-5-4
XIV Winter Neverend & Yeaddin 6-9-7
XV Winter Clayquot 2-2-8
XVI Winter City Centre 5-4-2
XVII Winter 1-2-1
Overall 113-124-164

Some Village
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Some Village » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:59 am

I'll be fair, I didn't have the slightest clue. I want to thank wikipedia for part of the inspiration.

Didn't had a clue on the physical side of it either, but I think both New Sideburn & Atlanta Johnson would be able to play hungry hungry hippo's in a physical way, so I kind of went along with that.

And it were feet. Definitely.
You can't score from the defense zone? How about that.

Member of Astyria

San Jose Guayabal
Minister

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby San Jose Guayabal » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:57 pm

I want to make an official bid proposal for SJG.

Space reserved for data.
Not so active as before - Hail Alianza FC! - Football is my drug, Alianza FC my dealer!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports