NATION

PASSWORD

NSG Senate (OLD THREAD, DO NOT POST)

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:53 pm

Chestaan wrote:
Old Tyrannia wrote:I believe that we should move to bring the new bill to the floor. It seems evident to me that the voting on the National Taxation bill is concluded.

I oppose this, we must let the current vote end.

HOW LONG?
NSG's Resident Constitutional Executive Monarchist!
We Monarchists Stand With The Morals Of The Past, As We Hatch Impossible Treasons Against The Present.

They Have No Voice; So I will Speak For Them. The Right To Life Is Fundamental To All Humans Regardless Of How Developed They Are. Pro-Woman. Pro-Child. Pro-Life.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

Wolfmanne
Senator

Founded: Mar 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Wolfmanne » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:54 pm

Chestaan wrote:
Old Tyrannia wrote:I believe that we should move to bring the new bill to the floor. It seems evident to me that the voting on the National Taxation bill is concluded.

Agreed. Only under 50 people have voted, or 1/3 and there is potential for more voters. I say we keep the National Taxation bill.
Cicero thinks I'm Rome's Helen of Troy and Octavian thinks he'll get his money, the stupid fools.

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:55 pm

How about we open a second chamber?
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:55 pm

Very well. I withdraw the motion to bring the Bill for the Establishment of a National Head of State to the floor until voting on the National Taxation Act has passed.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:58 pm

Old Tyrannia wrote:Honourable Senators, I believe that the vote is clearly in favour of the National Tax Act, and therefore that we should close the vote and move to discuss the next item of legislation, the Bill for the Establishment of a National Head of State.

Bill for the Establishment of a National Head of State

Urgency: High | Drafted by: Old Tyrannia and Finium | Co-sponsors: Camelza, Great Nepal, Gordano and Lysandus, Old Tyrannia, Finium, Vazdania

When, in the course of national events, it becomes necessary to establish an executive officer to act in the stead of the people as the representative of their interests in foreign realms, to act as their protector and to enact the policies of their duly elected representatives, this body has seen fit to establish the title of His or Her Majesty the King or Queen, and invest in this person the sovereignty of our state, as the living embodiment of the nation and first servant of its people.

The Sovereign shall be empowered to provide for the calling forth of the armed forces and will be entrusted with all the powers of the commander in chief of the armed forces.

The Sovereign shall be empowered to veto any act of the Senate not achieving a two-thirds majority, which shall then be reviewed by the Senate.

The Sovereign shall be empowered to act in behalf of the people in foreign realms and to receive and treat with foreign envoys.

The Sovereign shall be empowered to appoint envoys to foreign realms and organizations with the approval of the senate.

The Sovereign shall be empowered to enforce actions of the senate with appropriate force.

The Sovereign shall be empowered to abdicate at such a time that he finds himself unable to carry out his duties.

The Sovereign shall be empowered to select a designated heir, who shall be allowed to use the title of Crown Prince or Princess, and shall be formally adopted by the reigning sovereign so that the next monarch is in theory the son or daughter of the preceding monarch.

The Sovereign shall be styled as "His/Her Majesty" and addressed as "Your Majesty", and henceforth as "Sire/Highness", and his designated heir should be styled "His/Her Highness", and addressed as "Your Highness", and henceforth as "Sir/Madame".

Upon the death of the Sovereign, His or Her Majesty's successor must be elected by a plurality of the fully convened Senate.

By convention, the Senate shall elect as monarch the previous monarch's designated heir and adoptive son/daughter, however each Party may if it wishes nominate an alternative candidate and the Senate may choose to elect an alternative candidate and thus establish a new royal house and dynasty if it believes the designated heir to the throne is unsuitable.

Following the presentation of the candidates, the Senate shall recess for a proper period to consider the candidates at the end of which, each senator will be given the opportunity to cast his or her vote in favour of any of the candidates.

The Senate reserves the right to proclaim a ruling monarch unfit to rule and therefore force his or her immediate and involuntary abdication and begin a new election for the next monarch. Such a motion requires a majority of two thirds or more in the Senate.

This bill is now IN QUEUE for voting. At vote now: The Taxation Bill
We Monarchists Stand With The Morals Of The Past, As We Hatch Impossible Treasons Against The Present.

They Have No Voice; So I will Speak For Them. The Right To Life Is Fundamental To All Humans Regardless Of How Developed They Are. Pro-Woman. Pro-Child. Pro-Life.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

Priory Academy USSR
Senator

Founded: May 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Priory Academy USSR » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:58 pm

Wolfmanne wrote:
Chestaan wrote:

Agreed. Only under 50 people have voted, or 1/3 and there is potential for more voters. I say we keep the National Taxation bill.

There are a lot of inactive members, to be fair. We really need a clean out of who's active and who isn't.
Call me what you will. Some people prefer 'Idiot'
Economic Compass
Left -7.00
Libertarian -2.67

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:58 pm

Old Tyrannia wrote:Very well. I withdraw the motion to bring the Bill for the Establishment of a National Head of State to the floor until voting on the National Taxation Act has passed.

It's In Queue

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:00 pm

Having been fifthed, I bring an alternative executive bill, the Republican Executive Act, to the queue
Trotskylvania wrote:
Republican Executive Act
Strength: Strong | Drafted by: Trotskylvania, Wolfmanne

Resolved: Since there is no tradition of monarchy here in our nation, it is pointless to establish one. Rather, we would consider it much more fruitful to establish the NSG State as a pluralist, democratic republic, and to that end we proposes establishing an executive that shall take into account the necessity of coalition building.

Be it enacted by the Senate of NSG, a constitutional bill to establish the executive offices of state:

I. The executive power of the NSG state shall be vested in a President and a Council of Ministers
- A. The President shall be the Head of State, elected by the Senate in a two-round system, in which the top two candidates from the first round shall be voted one.
- B. The President shall serve a term of two months, renewable once.
- C. The President may be removed by the Senate for official misconduct or disability by a vote of 2/3rds of the Senate.
- D. Upon the death of the President, the Senate shall elect a new president to a new 2 month term.
- E. The President shall have the following powers:
- - 1. Remand/veto a bill to the Senate if it's unconstitutional and call for revisions (may only do this once), with a full explanation.
- - 2. Declaring a state of war, if in full agreement with the Senate.
- - 3. Making and receiving state visits, on behalf of the Prime Minister.
- - 4. Ratification of international treaties, upon approval of the Senate.
- - 5. He must formally recognise the Prime Minister and his Cabinet, as elected by the Senate.
- - 6. Act as Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces and exercises his role by order of the Senate.

II. The Council of Ministers shall consist of a Prime Minister, and Ministers of the various executive departments.
- A. The Prime Minister shall be appointed by the President upon election by the Senate, and shall hold office with the confidence of the Senate.
- B. The Prime Minister shall appoint all other Ministers with the confidence of parliament, and shall have the power to dismiss them.
- C. The Prime Minister shall be head of government

III. Any person serving as a Senator shall be eligible to hold executive office.
- A. Ministers shall old office for a term not exceeding one month. One month after the previous election, the Senate shall hold elections for the members of the Council of Ministers, but neither sitting Ministers nor previous Ministers shall be barred from election.
- B. The President and executive Ministers shall maintain their privileges as Senators while holding office.

IV. The Council of Ministers shall enforce the laws ratified by the Senate.
- A. Ministers shall hold executive powers according to their portfolio as established by law.

V. If at any time the Council of Ministers loses the confidence of the Senate, they must resign immediately, holding office only until new executive officers can be elected.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:00 pm

I wonder if we should create multiple chambers to allow multiple bills going through at once...

Also, this NSG senate stuff is really clogging up F7. Maybe we should petition for our own subforum?
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:01 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:Having been fifthed, I bring an alternative executive bill, the Republican Executive Act, to the queue
Trotskylvania wrote:
Republican Executive Act
Strength: Strong | Drafted by: Trotskylvania, Wolfmanne

Resolved: Since there is no tradition of monarchy here in our nation, it is pointless to establish one. Rather, we would consider it much more fruitful to establish the NSG State as a pluralist, democratic republic, and to that end we proposes establishing an executive that shall take into account the necessity of coalition building.

Be it enacted by the Senate of NSG, a constitutional bill to establish the executive offices of state:

I. The executive power of the NSG state shall be vested in a President and a Council of Ministers
- A. The President shall be the Head of State, elected by the Senate in a two-round system, in which the top two candidates from the first round shall be voted one.
- B. The President shall serve a term of two months, renewable once.
- C. The President may be removed by the Senate for official misconduct or disability by a vote of 2/3rds of the Senate.
- D. Upon the death of the President, the Senate shall elect a new president to a new 2 month term.
- E. The President shall have the following powers:
- - 1. Remand/veto a bill to the Senate if it's unconstitutional and call for revisions (may only do this once), with a full explanation.
- - 2. Declaring a state of war, if in full agreement with the Senate.
- - 3. Making and receiving state visits, on behalf of the Prime Minister.
- - 4. Ratification of international treaties, upon approval of the Senate.
- - 5. He must formally recognise the Prime Minister and his Cabinet, as elected by the Senate.
- - 6. Act as Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces and exercises his role by order of the Senate.

II. The Council of Ministers shall consist of a Prime Minister, and Ministers of the various executive departments.
- A. The Prime Minister shall be appointed by the President upon election by the Senate, and shall hold office with the confidence of the Senate.
- B. The Prime Minister shall appoint all other Ministers with the confidence of parliament, and shall have the power to dismiss them.
- C. The Prime Minister shall be head of government

III. Any person serving as a Senator shall be eligible to hold executive office.
- A. Ministers shall old office for a term not exceeding one month. One month after the previous election, the Senate shall hold elections for the members of the Council of Ministers, but neither sitting Ministers nor previous Ministers shall be barred from election.
- B. The President and executive Ministers shall maintain their privileges as Senators while holding office.

IV. The Council of Ministers shall enforce the laws ratified by the Senate.
- A. Ministers shall hold executive powers according to their portfolio as established by law.

V. If at any time the Council of Ministers loses the confidence of the Senate, they must resign immediately, holding office only until new executive officers can be elected.

This bill is now IN QUEUE for voting. It's position is #2.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

Cosara
Senator

Founded: Nov 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosara » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:01 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:I wonder if we should create multiple chambers to allow multiple bills going through at once...

Also, this NSG senate stuff is really clogging up F7. Maybe we should petition for our own subforum?

Doubt the'll do it, but we can try.
"Do not lose hope; St. Joseph also had moments of doubt. but he never lost faith and was able to overcome them in the certainty that God never abandons us." -Pope Francis

"We are never defeated unless we give up on god." -Ronald Reagan

Silent Majority
Minister

Founded: Jun 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Silent Majority » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:01 pm

What happens if we pass both the Monarchist and Republican bills?
“It is the ultimate irony of history that radical individualism serves as the ideological justification of the unconstrained power of what the large majority of individuals experience as a vast anonymous power, which, without any democratic public control, regulates their lives.”
― Slavoj Žižek

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:01 pm

Cosara wrote:
Regnum Dominae wrote:I wonder if we should create multiple chambers to allow multiple bills going through at once...

Doubt the'll do it, but we can try.

The mods would laugh in our faces.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Wolfmanne
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Wolfmanne » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:02 pm

Double agreed. I also suggest, in the interest of our nation, that the debate for Republic and Monarchy, plus the voting, should happen at the same time.
Last edited by Wolfmanne on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cicero thinks I'm Rome's Helen of Troy and Octavian thinks he'll get his money, the stupid fools.

Cosara
Senator

Founded: Nov 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosara » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:02 pm

Vazdania wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:Having been fifthed, I bring an alternative executive bill, the Republican Executive Act, to the queue

This bill is now IN QUEUE for voting. It's position is #2.

What if they both pass? Which bill becomes the one we go with? :blink:
"Do not lose hope; St. Joseph also had moments of doubt. but he never lost faith and was able to overcome them in the certainty that God never abandons us." -Pope Francis

"We are never defeated unless we give up on god." -Ronald Reagan

Ziegenhain
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ziegenhain » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:02 pm

Cosara wrote:
Vazdania wrote:This bill is now IN QUEUE for voting. It's position is #2.

The Monarchist one of course.
wew lad

Factbook: Greater Ziegenian Reich
OOC Dispatch: Here

<Koyro> Putin's immortality is fueled by Obama's tears
<Unolia> Others argue that leagues like the Unolian Handball System, which operates on no subsidization at all and operating so much in the black that Nevanmaa won't let it marry whites, is shining example of Capitalism at work.

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:03 pm

Silent Majority wrote:What happens if we pass both the Monarchist and Republican bills?

Secession. We now have two rival nations on NS, which might actually be an ideal solution...
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:03 pm

Wolfmanne wrote:

Double agreed. I also suggest, in the interest of our nation, that the debate for Republic and Monarchy, plus the voting, should happen at the same time.

I don't know if that is In order or not :unsure:

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

Camelza
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Camelza » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:03 pm

Silent Majority wrote:What happens if we pass both the Monarchist and Republican bills?

Bonapartist dictatorship!

Priory Academy USSR
Senator

Founded: May 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Priory Academy USSR » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:03 pm

Wolfmanne wrote:

Indeed. I suggest that instead of voting Yes/No, the vote be changed to Republic/Monarchy or abstaining once the Tax Bill has passed.
Call me what you will. Some people prefer 'Idiot'
Economic Compass
Left -7.00
Libertarian -2.67

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:03 pm

Wolfmanne wrote:

Seconded. We should make the voting options "I vote for the Republican bill", "I vote for the Monarchist bill", or "I vote for neither".

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:03 pm

Cosara wrote:
Vazdania wrote:This bill is now IN QUEUE for voting. It's position is #2.

Order says the first one that is passed, however, that doesn't mean that someone could recall and replace via a bill.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

Chestaan
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chestaan » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:04 pm

Wolfmanne wrote:

Second (if I'm allowed do so at this stage.)
Council Communist
TG me if you want to chat, especially about economics, you can never have enough discussions on economics.Especially game theory :)
Economic Left/Right: -9.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.62

Getting the Guillotine

Wolfmanne
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Wolfmanne » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:04 pm

Ziegenhain wrote:
Cosara wrote:What if they both pass? Which bill becomes the one we go with? :blink:

The Monarchist one of course.

The Republican one, since we're second. We'll just tell them to add a clause saying that the Monarchist one is redundant. Of course, it could simpler we debate and conduct the voting for both of them at the same time.

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:04 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:
Wolfmanne wrote:Double agreed. I also suggest, in the interest of our nation, that the debate for Republic and Monarchy, plus the voting, should happen at the same time.

Seconded. We should make the voting options "I vote for the Republican bill", "I vote for the Monarchist bill", or "I vote for neither".

That is out of order.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives