NATION

PASSWORD

NSG Senate (OLD THREAD, DO NOT POST)

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Costa Alegria
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Alegria » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:07 pm

Wait, agreeable marriage age? Should there be like an age limit or something?
I AM THE RHYMENOCEROUS!
Member of the [under new management] in the NSG Senate

If You Lot Really Must Know...
Pro: Legalisation of Marijuana, LGBT rights, freedom of speech, freedom of press, democracy yadda yadda.
Con: Nationalism, authoritariansim, totalitarianism, omnipotent controlling religious beliefs, general stupidity.
Meh: Everything else that I can't be fucked giving an opinion about.

Vietnam
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vietnam » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:07 pm

Oneracon wrote:
Vietnam wrote:Seconded.

Soviet Canuckistan wrote:Thirded.

Costa Alegria wrote:Eh, I'll go third.

Edit: Fuck it, fourth.

I wish to ask the honourable Senators what exactly they are approving, as there was no motion up for approval at the time.

Your beautiful voice, Senator.
Join Tiandi!

Vietnam
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vietnam » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:08 pm

Costa Alegria wrote:Wait, agreeable marriage age? Should there be like an age limit or something?

Right now it's 16 with permission of parents/legal guardians, 18 without.
Join Tiandi!

Revolution Land
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Revolution Land » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:09 pm

Costa Alegria wrote:Wait, agreeable marriage age? Should there be like an age limit or something?

Consult clause 2
Proud Marxist and member of the Communist Party in the NationStates Senate

Costa Alegria
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Alegria » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:10 pm

Vietnam wrote:

Right now it's 16 with permission of parents/legal guardians, 18 without.

Wouldn't it be easier having just one age or am I really making an issue out of nothing.

Oneracon wrote:I wish to ask the honourable Senators what exactly they are approving, as there was no motion up for approval at the time.

Your delicious space brownies, sir.
I AM THE RHYMENOCEROUS!
Member of the [under new management] in the NSG Senate

If You Lot Really Must Know...
Pro: Legalisation of Marijuana, LGBT rights, freedom of speech, freedom of press, democracy yadda yadda.
Con: Nationalism, authoritariansim, totalitarianism, omnipotent controlling religious beliefs, general stupidity.
Meh: Everything else that I can't be fucked giving an opinion about.

Oneracon
Senator

Founded: Jul 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Oneracon » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:10 pm

Senator Revolution Land, may I ask your rationale behind the proposed clause 4?

I must admit that to me it seems rather redundant to define marriage and then end the act by stating that marriage is defined to be how we defined it.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.72
Oneracon IC Links
Factbook
Embassies

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power"
Pro:LGBTQ+ rights, basic income, secularism, gun control, internet freedom, civic nationalism, non-military national service, independent Scotland, antifa
Anti: Social conservatism, laissez-faire capitalism, NuAtheism, PETA, capital punishment, Putin, SWERF, TERF, GamerGate, "Alt-right" & neo-Nazism, Drumpf, ethnic nationalism, "anti-PC", pineapple on pizza

Your resident Canadian neutral good socdem graduate student.

*Here, queer, and not a prop for your right-wing nonsense.*

Revolution Land
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Revolution Land » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:13 pm

Oneracon wrote:Senator Revolution Land, may I ask your rationale behind the proposed clause 4?

I must admit that to me it seems rather redundant to define marriage and then end the act by stating that marriage is defined to be how we defined it.

Forgive me for not being clear.

I included Clause 4 in an attempt to allow all couples who hope to get married the ability to due so, without denial from any religious institutions or the like. The state, assuming this legislation is passed, will be the one who makes the definition for marriage. This is susceptible to change.\

Without it, some religious groups could block people from getting married. With it, t he state is the only one who officially recognizes marriages.
Last edited by Revolution Land on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oneracon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Oneracon » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:15 pm

Revolution Land wrote:
Oneracon wrote:Senator Revolution Land, may I ask your rationale behind the proposed clause 4?

I included Clause 4 in an attempt to allow all couples who hope to get married the ability to due so, without denial from any religious institutions or the like. The state, assuming this legislation is passed, will be the one who makes the definition for marriage. This is susceptible to change.\

Without it, some religious groups could block people from getting married. With it, t he state is the only one who officially recognizes marriages.

Thank you for your clarification.

In that case I fully support the amendment.

Are there any Senators who disagree?
Last edited by Oneracon on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Compass
Oneracon IC Links
Factbook
Embassies

Pro:LGBTQ+ rights, basic income, secularism, gun control, internet freedom, civic nationalism, non-military national service, independent Scotland, antifa
Anti: Social conservatism, laissez-faire capitalism, NuAtheism, PETA, capital punishment, Putin, SWERF, TERF, GamerGate, "Alt-right" & neo-Nazism, Drumpf, ethnic nationalism, "anti-PC", pineapple on pizza

Soviet Canuckistan
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Canuckistan » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:20 pm

Revolution Land wrote:

I motion to adopt said amendment to the proposal.
Economic Left/Right: -3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.49

Oneracon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Oneracon » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:20 pm

Soviet Canuckistan wrote:
Revolution Land wrote:

Seconded.
Compass
Oneracon IC Links
Factbook
Embassies

Vietnam
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vietnam » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:22 pm

In support.
Join Tiandi!

Chetssaland
Senator

Founded: May 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Chetssaland » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:22 pm

Oneracon wrote:
Soviet Canuckistan wrote:I motion to adopt said amendment to the proposal.

Seconded.

Fourthed (Since Arum said he agreed)

Evraim
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Evraim » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:25 pm

Revolution Land wrote:

The fact that we're in the process of passing a bill that already recognizes marriage as a government contract means that this amendment is unsubstantial and repetitive. Our actions and the text of the resolution imply that marriage is a secular institution legitimized by the state. Opposed.

Oneracon wrote:Thank you for your clarification.

In that case I fully support the amendment.

Are there any Senators who disagree?

Yes. It's not a salient concern.
Last edited by Evraim on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vietnam
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vietnam » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:26 pm

Costa Alegria wrote:
Vietnam wrote:Right now it's 16 with permission of parents/legal guardians, 18 without.

Wouldn't it be easier having just one age or am I really making an issue out of nothing.

Oneracon wrote:I wish to ask the honourable Senators what exactly they are approving, as there was no motion up for approval at the time.

Your delicious space brownies, sir.

No idea, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it.
Join Tiandi!

Crata
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Crata » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:47 pm

Oneracon wrote:
Seconded.

Agreed to.

The amendment proposed by Revolution Land has been passed.

I am introducing a friendly amendment, making the conditional clause 4 the operational clause 2.

The proposed Act now reads:

Marriage Freedom Act

Urgency: High

Drafted by: Regnum Dominae, Sibirsky, Napkiraly, Vietnam

The government of our yet to be named nation:

For the purposes of this bill, DEFINES:
(1) "Marriage" as a contract between two or more persons of marriageable age, who have all given informed consent,
(2) "Marriageable age" as 18 years old and above, as well as 16 years old and above on condition of informed consent from the legal guardians of all involved parties,
(3) "Informed consent" as acceptance of this contract out of one's own free will, free of pressure from other parties, and with knowledge of the terms of the contract,

AFFIRMS:
that the race, ethnicity, gender, nationality, citizenship, religious or political background and/or number of the involved parties shall not be a factor in the recognition by the government of a marriage, or of the legal benefits that are given to the persons involved in a marriage;

FURTHER AFFIRMS THAT:
"Marriage" will herein remain a "contract between two or more consenting persons of marriageable age" by law and all other definitions of said marriage will not be recognized by the state unless further legislation is acted upon.

-- Changed through amendments by Crata, Revolution Land and Regnum Dominae (Friendly Amendment)

We are now debating on the Act as a whole, unless any further amendments are on the floor.
The Federal Republic of Crata / Bundesrepublik Crata

Current Administrative Associate of Noctur

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:52 pm

Chetssaland wrote:
Evraim wrote:I recognize the validity of your assertions, Senator. I was challenging the entire premise of our colleague's argument.

Do you apply the same standard to all marriages which might produce offspring with genetic abnormalities - and often at a much higher rate than incestuous marriages?

Such as?

Such as carriers for genetic diseases producing offspring.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:53 pm

Oneracon wrote:May I motion a compromise?

This act will not explicitly allow or deny incestual marriages, and the issue of said marriages will be amended to this act or decided upon in a future act.

Perhaps an act proposed by Senators Vietnam or Evraim.

Two acts on marriage?

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:55 pm

Soviet Canuckistan wrote:
Revolution Land wrote:

Seconded. I don't think they use thirded or fourthed.
Last edited by Geilinor on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Revolution Land
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Revolution Land » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Crata wrote:
Oneracon wrote:
Seconded.

Agreed to.

I am introducing a friendly amendment, making the conditional clause 4 the operational clause 2.

Marriage Freedom Act

(1) "Marriage" as a contract between two or more persons of marriageable age, who have all given informed consent,
(2) "Marriageable age" as 18 years old and above, as well as 16 years old and above on condition of informed consent from the legal guardians of all involved parties,
(3) "Informed consent" as acceptance of this contract out of one's own free will, free of pressure from other parties, and with knowledge of the terms of the contract,

AFFIRMS:
that the race, ethnicity, gender, nationality, citizenship, religious or political background and/or number of the involved parties shall not be a factor in the recognition by the government of a marriage, or of the legal benefits that are given to the persons involved in a marriage;

FURTHER AFFIRMS THAT:
"Marriage" will herein remain a "contract between two or more consenting persons of marriageable age" by law and all other definitions of said marriage will not be recognized by the state unless further legislation is acted upon.

-- Changed through amendments by Crata, Revolution Land and Regnum Dominae (Friendly Amendment)

We are now debating on the Act as a whole, unless any further amendments are on the floor.

I move to close debate on this piece of legislation.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:57 pm

Revolution Land wrote:
Crata wrote:
Agreed to.

Marriage Freedom Act

AFFIRMS:

FURTHER AFFIRMS THAT:

I support this motion.

Crata
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Crata » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:58 pm

Honourable Senator Geilinor,

the second-degree amendment striking out ancestry has already been passed, as has the amendment concerning clause 4 by Revolution Land. As stated, we are now debating on the entire Act unless the friendly amendment made by me is challenged.

And yes, the Senate may pass two laws on marriage, as long as they do not conflict each other.

Crata
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Crata » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:59 pm

Revolution Land wrote:

Third.

OOC: Do we have to wait for the OP to open voting phase?

Bernese Oberland
Attaché

Founded: Nov 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Bernese Oberland » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:01 pm

Costa Alegria wrote:
Vietnam wrote:Right now it's 16 with permission of parents/legal guardians, 18 without.

Easier? Of course. And, as I've said, allowing children to marry is both an act of perversion and incompetence on the authors' parts.

I would support this proposal if clauses one and two were amended to prohibit more than two individuals and anyone below the age of majority from marrying, respectively.
"Unus pro omnibus, omnes pro uno"

Vietnam
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vietnam » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:04 pm

Bernese Oberland wrote:
Costa Alegria wrote:

Easier? Of course. And, as I've said, allowing children to marry is both an act of perversion and incompetence on the authors' parts.

I would support this proposal if clauses one and two were amended to prohibit more than two individuals and anyone below the age of majority from marrying, respectively.

How different is an 18-year old from a 17 years and 364 days old person? And what is your argument for prohibiting polygamy?
Last edited by Vietnam on Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join Tiandi!

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:05 pm

OK, incesteous marriages can be debated later. I support the act.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives