NATION

PASSWORD

Noctur Press Association [CLOSED, NOCTUR ONLY]

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:53 pm

SILVIU ORDERS MISSILE STRIKE ON SEGLAND
SEGLANDIC PARLIAMENT DESTROYED IN RETALIATION FOR EMBASSY BOMBING

March 13 LET 48 Last updated 15:48 Exegrad Standard Time
ImageImageImageImage

BREAKING NEWS
President Keldon Silviu has ordered Radiatian warships stationed in the Gulf of Conpatraia and the Oriens Ocean to launch BGM-201 Kommando cruise missiles against the Seglandic Parliament Building and the headquarters of the Seglandic Secret Intelligence Service (SSIS) in downtown Ryutsvaag.
The Radiatian Federation has launched a cruise missile strike on the Seglandic capital
of Ryutsvaag

Around 30 Kommando missiles were fired from the destroyer RFS Efficiency which was stationed west of Segland in the Oriens Ocean, and the cruiser RFS Weidmann which was located in the Gulf of Conpatraia near Vernon Isle, Detectatia. Early accounts suggest the mission was successful, and that both buildings have been completely destroyed. The civilian death toll remains unknown at this stage.

President Silviu announced the mission in a televised statement to the nation, and said that he ordered the attack after R-SOD presented him with "compelling evidence" that the recent bombing of the Radiatian embassy in Ryutsvaag was not the work of a terrorist group, but had been sanctioned by the Seglandic government.

"An attack on one Radiatian is an attack on all Radiatians," He said. "The Radiatian Federation will not hesitate to protect our people, to deter aggression and to retaliate for the brutal, state-sanctioned murder, of innocent Radiatian citizens."

Silviu's address was notably forceful and stern, with the normally mild-mannered Silviu having nothing but harsh words for the Seglandic regime. "The Seglandic Republic is a nation known to commit state-sanctioned acts of terror against its own citizens, including children, a nation where those who dissent from the government are brutally killed or tortured and a nation which harbours and protects terrorist groups who would seek to dismantle and destroy the Radiatian way of life. But the fact that these tyrants, not content with killing their own citizens, sought to kill ours is particularly loathsome."

The order was given last night, after Attorney General Maynard Yordanov and R-SOD CEO Yulian Bentley presented the President with their formal reports. The entire operation was carried out in secret, with Radiatian allies Detectatia and Conpatraia - both located near Segland - alerted only shortly before the attacks were launched. The strike was a unilateral action, with the Radiatian Federation acting alone.

The missiles struck late at night - between 1am and 2am Ryutsvaag time (4pm - 5pm Xerconia time) - because Silviu wanted to minimise the possible deaths of innocent civilians. Although sources within the Federal Ministry of Defence initially expected the parliament building to be empty at the time of the strike, unconfirmed reports have emerged that it may have still been in session when the missiles reached their targets.

The Seglandic regime has repeatedly denied its involvement in acts of terrorism against Radiatia or its own citizens, despite evidence to the contrary. There has not yet been an official statement from Segland, although the Fortress believes that Chancellor Jean Beluy-Chaveux was not located near the site of the attack, and most likely survived.

Defence Minister Leon Peyton said that the aim of the mission was "not to assassinate the leaders of the Seglandic Republic, but to destroy the two buildings where the plans to destroy the Radiatian embassy were hatched, and to remove Segland's ability to continue using them."

Witnesses in Ryutsvaag reported seeing smoke and what appeared to be a huge blaze rising from the sites of the attack. State-run media in Segland reported the attacks as terrorist attacks, and attributed them to the Order of Unification - the same group that the Seglandic regime attempted to use as scapegoats for the embassy bombing.

Reports from the country town of Kleetsnijkaterburg suggest that Segland may have attempted to retaliate against Radiatia, or attempted to fire ABMs at the incoming missiles.

R-SOD have not yet revealed the specific evidence used to uncover the plot, although leaked information and "friends in Segland" were cited as possible sources. Although the sources remain classified, an R-SOD spokesperson says that they are "absolutely certain that the plot to destroy the Radiatian embassy in Ryutsvaag was directed by the Seglandic government, at its highest levels."

41 people were killed when a bomb was detonated in the Radiatian embassy compound, including Ambassador Stjepan Meinhardt. Foreign Affairs Minister Stanley MacFarlane said that an investigation into the incident remains underway, with questions still remaining regarding how the embassy was infiltrated and what steps need to be taken to ensure such an attack is not repeated.

The action is the first major Radiatian military operation to be conducted during Silviu's Presidency, and the first major military operation since LET 42, when Soden Larssen deployed troops to Tierra Azure. It is the first unilateral military action to be taken by the Radiatian Federation since Derro Vahnsehn's controversial invasion of Naras in LET 27.

Parliamentary leaders from both parties supported Silviu's action. Liberal-Conservative Presidential nominee Kärtsy Nepula called the President on the campaign trail to give his support. "Political differences aside, I believe you have done the right thing and I support it. If I can help, let me know." He reportedly told the President.

Although Premier Nepula remains ahead in the polls, the strike - taken just days before Radiatians vote in the Presidential election - has seen Silviu's support rise dramatically, with campaign manager Zak Feodosiy saying the President "is back in the game". Silviu is now polling ahead in key swing states Xegfause and Garotch, while Nepula's lead in Bahamatsu has also eroded. Although polls all week have predicted that Nepula will win with 53% of the popular vote and 249 electoral votes, new polls have him 1 electoral college vote short of victory, with 24 undecided E.C. votes in Bahamatsu and Mus.(See Election News, Below)

The attack was initiated at 16:22 Xerconia Standard Time by the destroyer RFS Efficiency in the Oriens Ocean, and the cruiser RFS Weidmann in the Gulf of Conpatraia. According to sources within the Radiatian Federal Sea Force, both ships conducted the mission while loudspeakers pierced the silent night sea with the music of Seglandic death metal band "Fuck This Shit", who were recently executed by the regime for 'treason'.

30 BGM-201 Kommando missiles were fired. The missiles cost just under 1 million Tsenyens each, and fly around 30m off the ground. They usually navigate by GPS co-ordinates which are stored in onboard computers and can be reprogrammed mid-flight by commanders. Each missile is capable of carrying more than 400kg of explosives during their two hour flight to Ryutsvaag.

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Oleksiy Romanov said that a detailed assessment of the damage was not immediately available. However he stated that "aerial photographs and other preliminary information suggests that this mission was a success."

The FMoD has made clear that it has no plans for further military action, but has warned Segland not to retaliate. Romanov said the RFSF had moved several naval ships closer to Segland so that the Radiatian Federation could respond to any Seglandic retaliation. The President has placed the military on "Code Orange" - the highest military alert level since the Krebolian Civil War - "until such time as Segland apologises for the embassy bombing and agrees not to retaliate against the Federation."

Commander-General Romanov and Minister Peyton both said that the goal of the mission was "not to destroy the Seglandic Republic, but to warn it against the consequences of attacking the Radiatian Federation and to punish it for its actions".

Indeed, President Silviu made clear that the missile strike was not just a warning to Segland, but a warning to the international community, as Radiatia flexes its giant military muscles for the first time in a decade and asserts its dominance in the region.

"The Radiatian Federation is not interested in building an empire, or ruling the world through force. We maintain the largest defence forces in Noctur to maintain peace, to protect our federation and to protect our way of life. So any adversary should ask themselves very carefully about the consequences of attacking the Radiatian Federation.

"Let this be a lesson to all such regimes. If you attack Radiatia, Radiatia will come to get you.

"Retribution will be swift, it will be severe and above all... it will be efficient."

- RPNN

"My fellow Radiatians,

"This evening I want to talk to you about a state-sanctioned act of terrorism, committed by the Seglandic Republic against the Radiatian Federation, and the actions that we have just taken to respond.

"Two days ago, we received word that a terrorist group, comprised of religious fundamentalists, murdered 41 innocent Radiatian citizens by destroying our embassy in the city of Ryutsvaag, Segland. My administration swore that we would find and retaliate against the culprits and we have done just that.

"Intensive investigations by Radiatian Special Operations Division, the Federal Police Agency and sources within Segland that we cannot name for security purposes have presented me with compelling evidence that the Order of Unification was not responsible for the attack on our embassy, as first supposed, but that the attack was ordered by officials within the upper echelons of the Seglandic regime itself.

"This should not come as a surprise. The Seglandic Republic is a nation known to commit state-sanctioned acts of terror against its own citizens, including children, a nation where those who dissent from the government are brutally killed or tortured and a nation which harbours and protects terrorist groups who would seek to dismantle and destroy the Radiatian way of life. But the fact that these tyrants, not content with killing their own citizens, sought to kill ours is particularly loathsome.

"An attack on one Radiatian is an attack on all Radiatians. The Radiatian Federation, under my administration, will not hesitate to protect our people, to deter aggression and to retaliate for the brutal, state-sanctioned murder, of innocent Radiatian citizens.

"Segland assumed that Radiatia would not discover its covert acts of atrocity, and it assumed that we would remain passive if we did. They were wrong on both counts. For as long as I am in this office, I will not waiver in my resolve to protect the citizens of this nation from the forces of evil. For let us make no mistakes - this is a matter of good versus evil.

"In order to affirm the expectation of civilised behaviour among nations, as opposed to the barbarism of the current regime, and in order to deter Segland or any other aggressor from engaging in the wanton slaughter of Radiatian citizens or its own, I have determined that it is necessary for the Radiatian Federation to strike back.

"Therefore, last night, I ordered our armed forces to launch a cruise missile strike on the headquarters of the Seglandic Secret Intelligence Service and the Parliament Building in Ryutsvaag, where the plot was hatched. The mission was begun at 16:22 Xerconia Standard Time and completed around an hour ago, striking at 2am local time. By all accounts, the mission was a success and the targets have been eliminated.

"I have spoken to Parliamentary leaders as well as our allies in Noctur, with a view to exposing Segland's crimes against Radiatia, and its crimes against humanity. The target of our attack was the Seglandic government, and it is our aim that the people of Segland shall one day be free from tyranny. In this operation, we have made every effort to minimise the loss of innocent life.

"I warn Segland that if it attempts to retaliate, the Radiatian Federation will revoke its right to exist. I have ordered the Radiatian Federal Sea Force closer to Segland in anticipation of any attack. The nation will remain on a Code Orange alert until such time as Segland apologises for the embassy bombing and agrees not to retaliate against the Federation.

"To the men and women in our armed forces, our intelligence services and our law enforcement agencies, I salute you. You have the gratitude of a nation and of all those who value individualism, efficiency, freedom, democracy and all those who stand opposed to tyranny, oppression, brutality and barbarism. It is an honour to be your commander-in-chief.

"I swore an oath to protect this nation from evil, and I promised to take action against those who threatened our way of life. Today I have done just that.

"And let us make no mistakes in the message that we seek to send to Segland, and to the international community.

"The Radiatian Federation is not interested in building an empire, or ruling the world through force. We maintain the largest defence forces in Noctur to maintain peace, to protect our federation and our way of life. So any adversary should ask themselves very carefully about the consequences of attacking the Radiatian Federation.

"I speak on behalf of the Radiatian people when I say we seek to lead by example, not by might. We seek only to eat burgers on the prairies, drive cars through our endless highways or make our own fortunes. We do not seek to subjugate, to control or to attack.

"But our might exists so that our way of life can exist and there will be no hesitation should any aggressor be so foolish as to cross paths with our federation.

"Let this be a lesson to all such regimes. If you attack Radiatia, Radiatia will come to get you.

"Retribution will be swift, it will be severe and above all... it will be efficient.

"Radiatia Prevails."

pitythefool (Erica, Amentra)
2 HOURS AGO
BREAKING NEWS:

Keldon Silviu has balls.
342 likes

Xessy9981 (Musk, Vatfer)
1 HOURS AGO
omg my boyfriend is an officer on the RFS Waidmann! When he gets home, when they come back to port, I am gonna spread my legs and take him around the world.... !
279 likes

Arnold (Midgard City, Midgard)
1 HOURS AGO
Apparently when the missiles came the Seggers were debating forced lobotomies. Along came our missiles and now they all got lobotomies courtesy of Radiatia! lol IRONY!
412 likes

Election News:

POPULAR VOTE:
Kärtsy Nepula: 52%
Keldon Silviu: 49%
Other: 5%

ELECTORAL COLLEGE:
Kärtsy Nepula: 241
Keldon Silviu: 218
Undecided: 24
242 needed to win

BATTLEGROUND STATES:
Alayenia: (51.3% Nepula/ 48.7% Silviu)
Xegfause (52.1% Silviu/ 47.9% Nepula)
Bahamatsu (50% Nepula/ 50% Silviu)
Garotch (51% SIlviu/ 49% Nepula)
Mus (50% Silviu/ 50% Nepula)
Jingyurin (54% Silviu/ 46% Nepula)

In Other News:

• Social Democratic National Convention Begins
  • Silviu's approval ratings soar - but the polls still favour Premier Nepula
  • Negasi and Ivanov go head to head in Vice Presidential debate

© LET 48 Radiatian People's News Network, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
RPNN is not responsible for the content of external sites.

Mobile Site | Advertise With Us | Ad Choices | Terms of Use | Privacy | Cookies | About the RPNN | RPNN Help | Accessibility Help | Contact Us
Last edited by Radiatia on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aazeronia
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aazeronia » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:50 am

ANN

Radiatians Strike Back

"Radiatia endorses missile strike on Segland."

AAZERON - Last night, between 0100 and 0200 Ryutsvaag Time, a couple of Radiatian warships launched upwards to around 30 missiles into the nation of Segland. Reports state that it is still currently unknown how many civilian deaths there are at present.

This attack was in response to a number of terrorist attacks committed in Segland, mostly aimed at Radiatians. While initially believed to be the work of terrorist organization, which are on the rise in Noctur, evidence later suggest that it may of, in fact, been the Seglandic government itself that endorsed such attacks upon Radiatians.

Upon hearing such news, an emergency session of the Aazeronian legislature was called to debate the merits of such an attack, but also to see if any action was to be taken. Chancellor Myrja presided over this special session. After several hours of lively debate and several factors taken into account, Chancellor Myrja released this official statement about the incident, a copy of which will be sent to the Radiatian government and the Seglandic government:
Here follows what shall be the official stance of the Aazeronian Union as a whole regarding the incident last night involving both Segland and Radiatia: The attack last night was not totally on the part of Radiatia and it's leader Keldon Silviu. While we do not necessarily support this action, we do understand why this decision was made. In all honesty, had it been Aazeronian peoples being murdered in Segland, Aazeronia would of retaliated much as Radiatia has done.

While recent domestic events have put Radiatian-Aazeronian relations to a strain, we would like to assure the Radiatians that Aazeronia has absolutely no intentions of crossing or provoking them into open conflict, and will continue to remain staunch allies and supporters of the Federation. Aazeronia knows the value of our friends in Radiatia and we will stick by them.

With regards to Segland, Aazeronia cannot tolerate government sanctioned terrorism. Terrorism on civilians living in ones own borders is a deplorable thing. While there will be no military action directed towards Segland at this time, counter-terrorism forces will be on high alert in Aazeronia and will be making sure that such forms of terrorism do not spread to other nations.

While it is clear what the Aazeronian government stance on the incident is, the citizenry are having mixed views. The majority are calling for no intervention all together, with the deaths of brothers and sisters in the Merrina Conflict fresh on the minds of Aazeronians. A minority however says there should some sanctions or even actions taken against the Radiatian Federation, luckily those are few and far between.

In other news...
  • Nepula winning my small majority in Radiatian elections
  • Right vs. Left: Aazeronia beginning to show signs of polarization?
  • Reality TV show An Aazeronian in Radiatia expected to go off air end of this season
Monarch: Alexander VIII / Chancellor: Matthias Vaalian, Lord Farcroft / Minister of Foreign Affairs: Tomas Velgible / Minister of Foreign Trade: Gregor Halfthousin
RP population: 265 million
Armed Forces: Imperial Aazeronian Army(200,000), Imperial Aazeronian Armada(205,000), Imperial Aazeronian Air Fleet(355,000), Aazeronian Expeditionary Force(250,000), Black Phoenix Division(100,000), Aazeronian Humanitarian Corp(130,000)
Proud Member of:
Current Conflicts:
None

The Paradise of Light and Shadow
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Paradise of Light and Shadow » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:16 pm

Freedom of Press in the Paradise!

Crylist Xpress reporting in!

Citizen Sandor reports in the first ever Crylist Xpress article---

A mere three days ago the honorable and serene leader of the Paradise of Light and Shadow, Belisof Triminatov VIII quietly announced that non government regulated press would be allowed to thrive in the country. When immediately set upon by frantic reporters seemingly spawned out of thin air Triminatov retreated into his villa saying "No comment, no comment. Damn your eyes gutter trash! No comment!"

The honorable and just Lord of the Paradise of Light and Shadow, Belisof Triminatov VIII

After almost 72 hours the hardworking citizens at the Crylist Xpress has managed to set up offices in the second warehouse off 6th Emerald Street and get all that dreary official paperwork new businesses are drowned under finished. The Crylist Xpress will be following the politics of the realm as well as local and nationwide news, sports, celebrities, international relationships with the other countries of Noctur and more! In the opening months of the Xpress readers around the world can expect one or two articles a week and they can sure that if the Xpress isn't writing about it, then it isn't important!

Getting back to the topic at hand, the people of the Paradise receiving the freedom of press is a landmark moment in Paradisan history. This is because Belisof declared that no future ruler can dispute this law unless it is repealed by a 3/5ths vote in both the House of Order and the House of Disparity. This is a rare event as rulers of the Light and Shadow have a historical tendency to change their minds (and the laws) often and don't usually trust the Houses (elected by the commoners for the commoners) with any sort of real political power. The future is bright for the rights of the press and the people of the Paradise!

Long live the Paradise of Light and Shadow!
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:33 am

KÄRTSY VS. KELDON:
  • CANDIDATES SPAR ON FOREIGN POLICY IN SOLE PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE
  • MIXED REACTION TO DEBATE UNLIKELY TO IMPACT POLLS

March 14 LET 48 Last updated 19:35 Exegrad Standard Time
ImageImageImageImage

JENIAH, XEGFAUSE
President Keldon Silviu has forcefully attacked Liberal-Conservative Presidential challenger Kärtsy Nepula, in the only live and televised Presidential debate of the campaign.

Political commentators were unable to deliver a final verdict on the performances of the two candidates, with Garrick Schröder of the Xerconia Daily Herald stating that he felt "Silviu won the foreign policy debate, but Nepula won on domestic policy."

Most analysts expect the debate will have little impact on the polls, with Premier Nepula now expected to cruise to victory. Despite a brief rise in his approval ratings following the missile attack on Segland, President Silviu has barely been able to gain approval ratings of more than 50%.

Radiatians appear to have blamed the President for the Exegrad Stockmarket Crash, which occurred under his watch and have pointed to perceived failures such as high taxes, a failed attempt at deficit spending, a rise in crime rates, the federal government shut down saga and a sense that the President is "completely out of touch with your average Radiatian Joe McFrump".

"I think that history is going to look back on the Silviu Administration, and on Keldon Silviu, as being a tragic figure - someone with so much potential, that just wasn't able to reach it," Said Dr. Boris Kahler, a political scientist from the University of Saku.

Kärtsy Nepula, by contrast, seems to fit in well with most Radiatians and despite his Elduran roots seems equally at home watching football in Jingyurin, feeding yaks on a ranch in New Vashura, or in a room full of yuppies in Exegrad.

The Premier of Eldura is seen by many as the man who succeeded where Silviu failed - who brought justice to the perpetrators of the Kriga Bombing where Silviu would have only jailed them, and as a man who has a plan to fight crime and terrorism whereas Silviu only has his "warped liberal idealism". Nepula is seen as a normal man, a local man, waging a war against the 'dreaded fed' along with Radiatia's enemies, and along with running mate Alexander Ivanov even seems to have a plan for fixing Radiatia's broken economy.

However despite his widespread appeal, Nepula was unable to land any knockout blows to the Social Democratic President during the debate. An instant poll taken after the debate suggested that 51% of viewers felt that Silviu was the outright winner.

The debate was held in the small city of Jeniah, Xegfause - chosen as both one of the electoral race's key swing states as well as being a "decent cross section of an ordinary Radiatian town".

Surprisingly, terrorism was the hot button issue throughout the debate, with the economy taking a back seat throughout most of the debate - despite the urgency of Radiatia's economic situation.

Silviu began the debate by hitting hard at Premier Nepula, accusing his opponent's foreign policy of being "reckless" and attempting to portray him as too unbalanced and too much of a warmonger to be a successful Commander-in-Chief.

"Three days ago I ordered a cruise missile strike against Ryutsvaag in order to punish Segland for being complicit in terrorist activities," Said Silviu. "If it had been a President Nepula giving the order instead of me, right now we would be locked in a costly and deadly war in Segland, and we would risk provoking Tuthina or even Poldania into a total war scenario."

Premier Nepula stated that he felt the President's foreign policy was "weak" and that the President had done too little to combat global terrorism, and done too little toward fulfilling Radiatia's supposed role as the "Sheriff of Noctur".

"The President has kowtowed to too many evil regimes and for too long," Said Nepula. "In a worst case scenario, Radiatia could overpower Tuthina. We could overpower Poldania, or even Ossoria, if need be. Now I would hope that we never would have to engage in such a situation, but the President seems to fear our enemies. Our would ensure our enemies fear us.

Nepula called for Radiatia's foreign policy to move from one of "containment" to one of "confrontation".

"For too long Silviu, despite promising the opposite four years ago, has tried to contain brutal regimes, and has taken a stance of 'leave them alone so they leave us alone'. I propose that we should aim not to contain evil, but to defeat it. We cannot say to millions of people living in the grip of tyranny 'good luck, you're on your own'. Not when we have the means to prevent this from happening.

"Silviu has left dictators and evil regimes in more powerful positions. I plan to leave the people of the world in a more powerful position by overthrowing despots when and where possible."

Silviu dismissed Nepula's claims as being 'divorced from reality'.

"Premier Nepula's foreign policy seems to be to mimic the movies - shoot now and ask questions later." He quipped.

Silviu also accused Nepula of flip-flopping on foreign policy. "One minute he's referring to Robert Cesare as an inspiration, the next minute he's calling Poldania as a potential enemy."

Both men seemed hesitant to discuss the ongoing crisis in Merrina, although they appeared to agree that Radiatian military intervention would be inappropriate.

The conversation also turned to Radiatia's relationship with longtime ally Aazeronia, which has come under strain recently due to fears that Aazeronia is engaging in unfair trading practices as well as concerns that the new King, Alexander VIII, holds imperialistic ambitions.

Premier Nepula stated that "Aazeronia is still a friend, but we need to talk very frankly to them about the future of our free trade agreement, or there won't be a future for our free trade agreement."

Silviu called Nepula's claims "nonsense" and affirmed that Aazeronia and Radiatia's alliance remains as close as they were when the two nations first established formal diplomatic ties in LET 29.

"It's bad enough that you want to engage in reckless attacks against our enemies," Said Silviu, reprimanding his opponent. "But now you want to engage in reckless attacks against our friend?"

Silviu attacked Nepula's calls for higher tariffs as being "the economics of yesteryear" and accused the Liberal-Conservative of being "a plainstainer out of touch with the modern world".

Nepula struck back at Silviu, pointing out that immigration rates have soared to an all time high under during Silviu's Presidency, with ex-pats returning home in droves while foreigners from third world countries have also arrived in the federation seeking work.

"Mr. President, you say you want to create more jobs, but what's the point in doing that if you're going to let a bunch of foreigners come along and take them all?" He said.

Nepula also attacked the President on law and order, with crime rates across the nation having risen to their highest levels in more than 20 years.

"The last time this happened we had a left-wing government then as well," Said Nepula. "I can't help but feel that these factors may be related."

Silviu struck back by reminding the Premier that according to Nepula's own policy platform, 'the federal government has little place in law and order'.

"The Demodand Administration and the Larssen Administration were both responsible for devolving powers, including law enforcement, back to state and local governments," Said the President. "So I fail to see why Premier Nepula wants to blame the Chief Executive of the federal government for the failings of state governments - the very same ones he professes to be more efficient than the federal government."

Silviu was also able to call Nepula out during a debate on the role of the federal government, when Silviu pointed out that Eldura - Nepula's home state - has received more federal funding per capita than any other state in the Radiatian Federation.

"If you don't want federal funding, feel free to pay us back any time you want, Premier."

Nepula accused Silviu of 'constantly trying to blame his predecessors' for his mistakes.

"He keeps saying 'Soden Larssen caused the recession', 'Kurt Demodand caused crime rates to rise'. Well, Soden Larssen has been dead for five years and Kurt Demodand hasn't been in office since LET 30. I think President Silviu needs to find someone new to blame. Perhaps buying a mirror would be a good first step."

The debate ended with the two families on stage together - both mentioning the symbolic importance of an Elduran candidate and the son of Traiyan Silviu standing together.

"More than 30 years ago, people in the Nepula family attempted to wage a war against a country which was at the time run by someone in the Silviu family," Said the President.

"We can stand here today, political differences aside, but united as one nation, one people, with one purpose which is to perfect our federation and our republic." Said Nepula.

This will be the last time the candidates meet before the election, with polls opening on Saturday March 16th. So far over a million early votes have already been cast.

- RPNN

Quick Comparison of Policies:
Issue:Keldon Silviu:Kärtsy NepulaSupport:
Economy:More investment in public works and social programmesAcross the board tax cuts, curtailing stimulus programme51% Silviu
Law and Order:Concentrate on social factors leading to crime, opposition to death penaltyPro-death penalty, supports wire-tapping and police surveillanceNepula 53%
Foreign policy:Moderate interventionism with a view towards containmentStrong interventionism with a goal of ending the regimes of tyrantsSilviu 52%
Trade:Pro free-tradeOpposed to free trade50/50
Environment:Believes Radiatia needs to combat climate change and cut back on emissionsBelieves climate change is a myth and that environmental regulations will hurt industryNepula 51%
Role of the Federal GovernmentSupports large federal government programmesOpposes federal programmes and calls for more power to the statesNepula 54%
Education:For federal funding to educationOpposed to federally funded education programmesNepula 51%
Welfare:Supports federal funding for old age pensions, unemployment welfare and people with disabilitiesOpposes all forms of social welfare, believes it to be a matter for the statesSilviu 51%
Healthcare:Supports universal healthcare via federally funded FHSOpposes socialised medicineSilviu 51%
Immigration:Supports better treatment for immigrants and looser restrictionsCalls for tougher restrictions on immigrationNepula 53%

"This election is not about where we've been, but about where we are going. It is about electing a leader who has the vision for this country and for the way that we will lead the world.

"I have focussed initially on the three R's - Relief, Recovery and Reform as we pick up the pieces of our failed experiment with laissez faire economics. Premier Nepula thinks that less regulations are the way to create more jobs. Not only is our market already too unregulated - and hence why we saw such an economic collapse - but these regulations affect the quality of life for our workers, at a time when our workers need protection.

"Recovery will not come overnight, nor will it come with a Federal Parliament hell bent on obstruction. But slowly but surely we must look past today and to tomorrow, wherein I propose to focus on the three E's - the Economy, Education and the Environment.

"I will continue to fight until Radiatia goes from having the worst education system in Noctur, to having the best. For it education that will equip our future entrepreneurs and job creators, for the people who will solve the problems of today and tomorrow and it is education which will equip Radiatians to efficiency live a life of individualism, driven only by their own aspirations.

"We must work together to achieve the shared goal of individual freedom.

"As your Commander-in-Chief I will maintain the strongest military in Noctur. It is not through the size of our military that our strength lies, as Premier Nepula will have us believe, but it is through being always vigilant, going after those who threaten us but also knowing when to lay down our arms and fight our wars with words. Premier Nepula wants to boost the number of troops to levels not necessary in peacetime. I want to boost the amount of money that we pay to our professional armed servicemen and women, who have earned every cent of what we give them.

"This is the Radiatian century. Where we go, the world follows, and our leadership cannot be blind to the problems of today, nor can it be short-sighted as to the challenges of tomorrow. Therefore I urge you to give me your vote, to allow me to serve another four years in order to bring this vision to fruition.

"I will continue to fight and defend and protect the nation, and our exceptional role in the world and to ensure that the Radiatian Federation continues to be the greatest nation in Noctur and in the world.

"Radiatia prevails."

"My fellow Radiatians,

"I as much as any of you regret that we have just experienced four years of failure, of broken promises and of misplaced hope and trust.

"With all respect to President Silviu, four years of failure and inefficiency is just not acceptable in a nation such as ours, not when the international community, and the community of these 37 states and republics, depends so heavily on the actions of our chief executive. Our role in the world is crucial, and our mission is exceptional. The Radiatian Federation is a nation like no other before us, and no other who shall ever come after us.

"We are the ones who defeat evil, who overthrow tyrants, the Sheriff of Noctur and defenders of humanity. We are beacon of individualism in the darkness of oppression and of efficiency in a world of barbarianism.

"With your vote, a new day can dawn in Radiatia, in Noctur, in the world. The Liberal-Conservative Party traces our roots to the same great leaders who brought the nation out of communism - not to downplay the role of the first President Silviu - and we are the ones the nation turns to again and again and again when we realise that we cannot trust or rely upon the dangerous and wanton idealism of our liberal-left friends in the Social Democratic Union.

"With your vote we can take Level 101 and make Radiatia efficient again. We can end the regime of big government, and return power to the states. I don't trust the feds, and neither do you. I want a country run by ordinary, hard-working, day-dwelling Radiatians, not bureaucrats in Xerconia.

"I want a country where what you earned is yours, not given to people who believe they are entitled to something for nothing.

"I want a country where we can lead the world by example, where we can be the envy of the world.

"Now is a time for strong leadership. Now is a time not for the three R's or the three E's but the three J's - Jobs, Justice and 'Juvenation. We will bring jobs back to our federation. We will bring justice and the rule of law to those enemies, foreign or domestic, who threaten our peace. And we will make our nation young again, rejuvenating it and starting afresh with a new purpose and a new mission.

"My friends, all I ask is for your vote for myself and my friend Senator Ivanov, so that I can be the next President of the Radiatian Federation and together we can journey into a future of endless possibility.

"Thank you, and glory to Radiatia."

McRock (Makanko, Chongluntz)
3 HOURS AGO
Bit rich of Kärtsy Nepula to call Silviu out on immigration, considering he hasn't even been a Radiatian citizen himself for more than 10 years.
109 likes

Jamie (Mundy, Saku)
2 HOURS AGO
Anyone who still supports Silviu obviously doesn't have a clue what's going on in our country. Silviu isn't a bad person, but he is a bad President.
202 likes

Radiatian65 (Valar, Asgard)
2 HOURS AGO
I'm disappointed that no one has talked about the real issues facing Radiatians - the economy, and jobs. The debate was a disappointment because neither of them seem to give a shit. Personally I'll still be voting Nepula/Ivanov, simply because Ivanov seems to care whereas Silviu and Negasi, well, they had their chance and they failed.
217 likes

Election News:

POPULAR VOTE:
Kärtsy Nepula: 51%
Keldon Silviu: 48%
Other: 7%

ELECTORAL COLLEGE:
Keldon Silviu: 218
Undecided: 24
242 needed to win

BATTLEGROUND STATES:
Alayenia: (51.2% Nepula/ 48.8% Silviu)
Xegfause (52.2% Silviu/ 47.8% Nepula)
Bahamatsu (50% Nepula/ 50% Silviu)
Garotch (51.3% SIlviu/ 48.7% Nepula)
Mus (50% Silviu/ 50% Nepula)
Jingyurin (54% Silviu/ 46% Nepula)

In Other News:

• Paradise of Light and Shadow finally lifts restrictions on free press
  • The world reacts to missile attack on Ryutsvaag
  • Radiatians love Nepula, the world still loves Silviu

Mobile Site | Advertise With Us | Ad Choices | Terms of Use | Privacy | Cookies | About the RPNN | RPNN Help | Accessibility Help | Contact Us
Last edited by Radiatia on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:44 am, edited 4 times in total.

Nui-ta
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nui-ta » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:17 am

Ashes to Ashes
Missing Ashes Found Desecrated

ILOP responded today to two blasphemous calls over the missing ashes of Evan Isaci and Emperor Vincentius III.

At 5:30 this morning, at a fountain just outside the home of Ultimus Renton, the remains of Evan Isaci (which had been missing for a week) were found dumped inside. Graffiti on the fountain read "Still Better Than Renton".

Later, at 6:00, the remains of Emperor Vincentius were found strewn near the royal courtyard. More graffiti was found: "Rule More Like Him and You Won't End Up Like Him".

Three individuals are in custody. ILOP has not released their names at this time, but has stated that the persons were identified via fingerprints and camera, and that all three have prior histories. All are being charged with four counts of felony vandalism and one count of treason. Felony vandalism is punishable by 5 years in prison per count, and treason punishable by either penal exile or death.

Both bodies have been collected as best as possible, with the Isaci and di-Amori families both moving to rebury the dead as quickly as possible.

"It is a shame to say these people were demanding respect for the old leadership," said Sophine Rajut (nee Isaci), "how can you demand respect for a person by disrespecting them?"

"It's understandable to think that someone doesn't agree with my ruling style," Emperor Rowan stated in a formal reply to the incident, "but throwing my grandfather's ashes into the street is no way to demand my respect or attention, nor is throwing the ashes of Evan Isaci a respectable way to demand change from Prime Minister Renton or a respectable way to pay tribute to the late Prime Minister Isaci".

After the discovery of the missing ashes last week, the body of another recently deceased leader, Trenta i-Harendo, was moved abruptly from a public grave. The family has since stated that her ashes have been scattered to prevent vandalism.

This incident comes in the wake of calls for expanded executive control to the monarchy, and acts of terrorism in Nui-ta and beyond.

-NNN

In Other News
  • New Evidence in Kaurizil Bombing
  • Radiatian Embassy in Segland Bombed --- Silviu Orders Missile Strike in Retaliation
  • Zanzeanic Ruins Found on Mainland: Nui-ta Claims Small Zone for Research
  • Nui-ta at Code Yellow in Response to Attacks on Homeland and Radiatia
Someone cares? Okay then. Economic Left/Right: -2.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.85

INFP-T personality, quite heavy on the I,P, and T.

Segland
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Segland » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:00 pm

The Daily Summit
Trustworthy. Reliable. Superb.

Image Comment (69)
Image Recommend (69)
Image E-mail
Image Share
Image Print
Image Reprints & permissions

Radiatians Responsible for Terrorist Attack

RYUTSVAAG, F.D.

The superpower of Noctur has destroyed two Seglanic government buildings.

The Radiatian Federation has claimed responsibility for the attacks that destroyed the Parliament complex and the SSIS headquarters. It is unsurprising that the Radiatians would commit this atrocity without completely convincing evidence that the earlier embassy bombing was the responsibility of the Seglandic government. Reports also state that the attack was in fact a cruise missile attack, not a bombing.

More importantly, it has been confirmed that the National Assembly was still in session at the time of the attack due to a filibuster, and all 86 assembly members present were killed. That leaves only 14 assembly members alive who were lucky to have not been present. Karl van Hooft, the Nationalist candidate for chancellor, was not there.

The Constitution states that if a majority of the Assembly is killed, the Chancellor and Premier are given complete control over the nation until normal operations can resume within Parliament. This is the first time something of this scale has ever occurred, and a state of emergency was immediately declared by the Chancellor.

Following the Radiatian president's announcement, Jean Beluy-Chaveux gave a statement on television:

I address you, my fellow Seglanders, in the immediate aftermath of a dramatic revelation by the Radiatian Federation. Their tyrannic and delusional leader, Keldon Silviu, had the nerve to announce that it was the fault of the Radiatians for ruthlessly destroying our Parliament Building along with the headquarters of the SSIS. Not only this, but he somehow didn't realize that the National Assembly was still in session, and all of them were wiped out! Never has any nation even vaguely threatened to decimate our very government in this sadistic manner, but Silviu went right along with it. I promise you that this damage will be rebuilt, and the Radiatians will be repaid for their sinister actions against us. We are reminded once again by the depths of their depravity and immorality. They indulge in gluttony brought about by Greasy Joe's and his tantalizing greasy grease burgers, and they brainwash their own citizens into believing that Segland is a bad country! Yet they still find time to launch missiles at an innocent and good nations such as ourselves when they could actually be making a difference in the world. They expect us to apologize for an attack that we never supported! It is for this that the Radiatians will be punished, and they will be punished greatly by the might of the Seglandic Republic.

This leaves Seglanders wondering if the Chancellor intends to take military action against Radiatia, although it is unlikely that he would make such a risky move.

Not much more is known about the missile attack, but we will release information as we collect it.

In Other News:
  • Chancellor elections on March 16
  • 2 shot dead in Linksdam mall
  • What is in store for the future of Merrina?
The Seglandic Republic | Segelcynn Gemænewela | 色各兰共和国
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere." - Seamus Heaney

Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby The Paradise of Light and Shadow » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:33 pm

Crylist Xpress
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Lord of External Affairs sacked!

"The strong survive, the rest should do us all a favor and die off"

Lord of External Affairs, Tommen Riech was released from public service after several videos of him berating the government and other Lords of the state surfaced. The tapes featuring Riech were quickly confiscated by Internal Affairs from local miner Joshuwa C. Lanes. Joshuwa commented

"Well I was jus' walkin' home from the mines an' I found these old timey lookin' tapes on the walkway. I took 'em home and as soon as I heard the venom coming out of that godless man's mouth, I jus' knew I had to turn 'im in"

Former Lord Tommen Riech was appointed by Belisof Triminatov personally just over sixteen years ago after his ascent to the Pale Throne following the death of his grandfather Masaef Triminatov. When appointed to the position, Tommen promised to perpetuate the decades long isolationism policy the country has been adhering to since living memory. Reich remains in government custody and has been unable to be reached for comment.

Tommen Riech shortly after being arrested

Analysts predict Belisof's great granddaughter Marshal Triminatov to replace Riech as Lord of External Affairs. Marshall has been known to be a stalwart supporter of international friendship, cooperation, and trade and, if appointed, could be expected to end the decades long isolationist policy that has, in the opinion of this office, slowly strangling the country as the world grows up around the Paradise. Marshal was contacted and commented

"The world looks upon the Paradise and only sees a nation run by "lords" content with hiding from the world while drowning in their own corruption. I aim to change that opinion and foster relationships that will make the Paradise a contender on the regional scale"

When questioned on the recent terrorist activities in the region Marshal denounced acts of terrorism committed by the modern countries of Noctor

Terrorism is a cravens tool, only used when might or courage is found wanting. If appointed everyone can be damn sure the Paradise will not support any sort of terrorism regardless of circumstances or reason.

It seems like an age of innovation and change has come upon the Paradise of Light and Shadow. One can only be excited and I for one, cannot wait to report new tidings to the glorious people of this blessed land. All voices encounter Light and lead to Shadow! --Allan Stray, Crylist Xpress

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Last edited by The Paradise of Light and Shadow on Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Detectatia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Detectatia » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:29 pm

BREAKING NEWS

6 KILLED IN ASSAULT ON ARMORED COURIER, MONEY GOES TO POOR
DOES DETECTATIA HAVE A RUTHLESS "ROBIN HOOD?"

Updated at 1:01pm Detectatian Western Time

Image of suspect taken by eyewitness. Warning: Contains
image of destruction and some blood. (OOC: Ignore the fire)
A photo taken by eyewitness of suspect. Courtesy Kern Hoffstod.

AYAND, AYAND--Tragedy struck only a few hours ago as six armed guards for an armored courier truck were killed by an unknown assailant.

At approximately 8:00am in a lower income neighborhood in the northeastern area of Ayand City, in what was repeatedly described by eyewitnesses as "almost something a superhero would do," an unidentified attacker, described as wearing a green hoodie and jeans, assaulted an armored car using primarily a crossbow, but also a longbow and arrows. Police say that from the damage to the vehicle, at least the first bolt used by the attacker was incendiary or explosive in nature, as the bolt caused the truck to roll over on its side.

It was reported that following the rollover the guards who survived the bolt exited the vehicle and began to fire upon the assailant. However, a second assaulter reportedly emerged and began firing back at the guards. In the end all six of the guards were slain--2 as a result of the rollover/explosion of the first bolt, and 4 in the ensuing firefight.

The attacker then climbed the wreckage of the truck, seemingly guarding it as the assistant emptied the back of the truck, seemingly to take the valuables.

However, bystanders report being "confused," and "shocked," by what occurred next--the assistant to the attacker then began throwing the bundles of money and jewels to people on the sidewalks before the pair ran down a nearby alley.

The Ayand-based courier company who owned the truck, ExpeDial, released a statement stating that, although it could not identify, as per privacy policies, the client who made use of the company's services, it could identify the estimated value of all valuables being transported in the truck: a total value of approximately DN 850,000.

Because the suspect in this case did not take any substantial amount of money, but instead gave it out to those within the poor neighborhood the crime was committed in, questions have arisen as to whether this may be the work of a kind of vigilante similar to Robin Hood--taking valuables of the wealthy for the benefit of those who are impoverished.

Some people we at DBN have been interviewing seem to reflect a more positive view of the assailant: "Of course, he ended up killing six people, and that's tragic. But he stole from the rich--obviously--and gave to the needy. That in and of itself--the dedication to the poor--is admirable," said one 20 year old college student living in the area.

Others see the idea of a Hood-esque vigilantism to be "completely ignorant to property rights--you own something, it's yours. Being poor gets you no favors," said one bystander, a 40 year old from the southern coast of Ayand City. "It's just despicable, is what it is, not even counting the murders he committed."

Ayand Police say that at this time the crime is still in its very early preliminary investigation, and little has, as of yet, been confirmed regarding the case--including the suspect's motive.

In Other News:
  • Opinion: Is Radiatia the Next Jingoistic Power?
  • What We Stand to Gain and Lose if the LCP Wins
  • Controversy in Nui-ta as Remains of Isaci and Vincentius Are Lost

COMMENTS

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN TEMPORARILY DISABLED.
DETECTATIA CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION PER MY GREAT RETCON PROJECT OF 2016

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:20 am

FOUR MORE YEARS FOR KELDON SILVIU
GREATEST POLITICAL COMEBACK IN RADIATIAN HISTORY

March 17th LET 48 Last updated 04:37 Exegrad Standard Time
ImageImageImageImage

XIAN, VATFER
If Traiyan Silviu is God in Radiatia, then Keldon Silviu is undoubtedly Jesus - haven risen from the political dead to claim a second term in Radiatia's top job, with one of the narrowest victory margins ever seen in modern Radiatian history.
Electoral College:
Keldon Silviu: 242
Popular Vote:
Keldon Silviu: 48%
Kärtsy Nepula: 48%
Other: 4%
Senate:
Liberal-Conservative Party: 39
Social Democratic Union: 35
Federal Assembly:
Liberal-Conservative Party: 209
Social Democratic Union: 200

An electoral college map of the Radiatian Federation showing the states won by Silviu (red) and Nepula (blue)

In what has been described as an 'upset' of historic proportions, President Keldon Silviu has defied the odds to become the victor of the single closest election in Radiatian history.

It was an eleventh hour victory in the state of Mus that saw the Social Democratic President climb over the top, to beat his Liberal-Conservative challenger by a single electoral vote. Silviu won the state by a margin of less than 1000 votes, and even more significantly, won the nationwide popular vote with a margin of only 612 votes.
SENATE:
Liberal-Conservative Party: 39
Social Democratic Union: 35

FEDERAL ASSEMBLY:
Liberal-Conservative Party: 209
Social Democratic Union: 200

"Tonight's results only go to show something we've been saying all along -" Said the President in his victory speech to a crowd of shocked and elated supporters. "Every vote does count!"

Premier Nepula condeded defeat gracefully, giving a brief statement that he did not contest the result of the election and "disappointed though I am, I wish President Silviu well over the next four years". Nepula did not give a concession speech, with aides instead telling supporters camped out in the bitter Elduran cold to go home. At least one case of suicide has been reported, which was believed to be triggered by the election result.

"I.... wanted... Premier... Nepula... to... win!" Cried one LCP supporter, an inconsolable 18 year old girl from Eldura.

"Traiyan Silviu brought down the RPSU. Keldon Silviu wants to rebuild it," Said another disappointed Nepula supporter, as those camped outside dropped their signs and shuffled away from the former Palace of the Thrane in Kuell, Eldura.

For the Social Democratic Union, the mood was the opposite.

"My wife woke me up to tell me that Silviu had won," Said Garland Peyton - son of Defence Minister Leon Peyton and a campaigner for the SDU. "I thought she was pulling a cruel joke. I'd gone to bed depressed, certain that after Nepula gained 241 votes we had lost. I don't believe in god, but I'm starting to see why some people do. It was a miracle."

Miracle or not, President Silviu will still have to spend at least the next two years of his final term dealing with a gridlocked parliament. While the Social Democratic Union made some gains in both houses, after their harrowing defeat in the LET 46 mid-term elections, the Liberal Conservative Party has retained control of the Federal Parliament.

Analyst Boris Kahler believes that despite everything, Silviu's re-election will give him the upper hand.

"He doesn't have to face another election, and he knows it. If the LCP try to pull something like a government shutdown on him again, it reflects on them, not him, because his job is safe. So Silviu now has more elbow room in negotiating with them."

Reactions around the world have been mixed, although for the most part Silviu appears to be the more popular candidate among the international community. Former President, and current Leader of the Opposition Andrew Roneril, of Detectatia, came out in support of the President despite being politically the opposite to him in many regards.

Neither Kärtsy Nepula nor Keldon Silviu was able to gain a clear majority in the nationwide popular vote, with both only on around 48% each. 4% of the vote was dedicated to third party candidates, although no third party candidate was on the ballot in every state, thus making them of no real threat to Silviu or Nepula throughout the night.

Voter turnout was not as high as in LET 44, with only 50.2% of eligible voters turning out for this election.

President Silviu will be re-inaugurated on April 1st.

ANALYSIS: MIRACLE OR MISCALCULATION?

BY DR. BORIS KAHLER
Across the country today, while 45,715,427 Radiatians wake up celebrating the President's unexpected victory, 45,714,815 Radiatians are waking up wondering why what looked like an inevitable victory was snatched from their grasp at the last minute.

There's no doubting or denying that this was a close fought and unpredictable election. As a seasoned political analyst, I cannot honestly say that was able to predict Silviu's re-election, though nor did I say that Nepula's victory was for certain.

What I can do is look back, with the numbers I have, and explain why Silviu won and why it was such a narrow victory.

The first lot of metrics we have to look at is the country in its default state. The Liberal Conservative Party are always the party with the natural advantage. Communism is long finished, and today's Radiatia is fundamentally a centre-right leaning country - individualism and individual responsibility aren't just political ideas, they're embedded in our culture, in the fabric of who we are as a nation. Efficiency, though the SDU try to claim otherwise, could also be claimed by the right as one of their values.

The LCP also have the advantage of having the most states - this is the second election where the Liberal-Conservative nominee has carried more states than the Social Democratic candidate, and though they lost both elections, this is still mostly an advantage for them. The conservative northern states, the farmers in the west, the industrialists and capitalists in the south - all of these groups comprise the Liberal-Conservative coalition.

The Social Democrats, on the other hand, have a more dynamic coalition - the factory workers, the teachers, the youth and the racial minorities. And before this election Keldon Silviu added one more very important group to this coalition - the elderly. The Social Democratic coalition is urban by nature - the soot covered workers in big smokey cities, teachers, doctors and students in suburbia, and now the elderly in their suburban rest homes. As such, though the number of states likely to go red is lower, the population of these states is higher, giving them a slight advantage in the electoral college.

Therefore tonight the question was not about what went red or blue, but about where.

Tonight the coalitions worked like clockwork. In spite of all the hype, only three states have changed hands since LET 44. Mus and Jingyurin have gone from blue to red, while Alayenia went from red to blue. In Alayenia, the capitalists and industrialists of Exegrad, perhaps reeling under Silviu's economic reforms, managed to out-muscle the educated middle classes of western Alayenia and overall the state turned blue, and with it giving Nepula a massive chunk of electoral votes.

In Jingyurin, Silviu won simply due to the absence of Gregori Fyoderov. The only reason it went blue in LET 44 was because it was a local running for President, if not it was and is normally a red state. Mus was the most crucial - if Silviu hadn't reformed immigration in his first term, there's a good chance that the group of minorities and women in the state would not have been able to win for him those crucial 16 electoral votes at the eleventh hour.

But there's one more factor at play here and that is this - Kärtsy Nepula did very well in the popular vote, making people believe that he had a good chance of winning the whole thing. In LET 44, Silviu won 53% of the vote. This time both candidates won only 48%, and it was only 612 votes that separated them. While Radiatia's system is designed to be indirect as a safeguard against mob rule, winning the popular vote certainly doesn't hurt.

The problem is that Premier Nepula, throughout the whole campaign, energised his base - but only his base. And thus, though the LCP turned out more or less in force to vote (many had stayed at home last time, fearing they couldn't compete with the son of the great Traiyan Silviu), it was Silviu who held the sway over independent voters. That's why before the election we all thought Bahamatsu, a red state, was going to go blue - because Nepula's supporters were loud, while Silviu's were silent. A similar story could be seen in Garotch and Xegfause too.

Kärtsy Nepula took the party pretty far to the right - he wasn't an extremist, but he was certainly within reaching distance of being the next Derro Vahnsehn. Silviu took his party to the centre, and even though some of his socially liberal policies have been met with scepticism or even vitriol, economically he's still not as hard left as his opponents like to think, and was it underestimating this fact that caused Nepula's campaign to fall down.

The Social Democrats did not steal the election from the "born to rule" Liberal Conservatives. It was not a miracle or a freak accident that Silviu won re-election. It was not a fluke, nor was it gained on the back of the fact that Keldon is a Silviu.

President Keldon Silviu won the election fair and square, he had more people vote for him, more popular support, and at the end of the day - a better and more well-oiled campaign machine.

Four more years it is.

- RPNN

David (Uerku, Saku)
2 HOURS AGO
The LCP fucked up everything by deregulating to dangerous extremes, then they shut down the federal government, offered the same stuff that got us in this mess and a guy with a foreign policy as bad as Derro Vahnsehn's?

Radiatian voters might be apathetic, but they're not stupid. Hell yeah for Keldon Silviu!
208 likes

Jillywills (Hyuganburg, Clode)
2 HOURS AGO
Silviu wants to keep Radiatians poor because poor people = more Social Democrats. Will the SDU still blame Larssen when Silviu's second term is over and people are still poor?
190 likes

Bobit (Dastor, Diatara)
1 HOUR AGO
Stupid SocialIST DUMBOcrats, Keldon Silviu is a COMMUNISM!!!!
19 likes

In Other News:

• Karl van Hooft becomes new Chancellor of Segland; regime still deny responsibility for embassy bombing
  • Foreign Affairs Minister Stanley MacFarlane to appear before Senate committee regarding embassy bombing
  • Shedding some light on the Paradise of Light and Shadow

Last edited by Radiatia on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby The Paradise of Light and Shadow » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:49 pm

Crylist Xpress

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Coup in the Paradise!?

"Long live the King!"

This morning at 10:00 AM reporters gathered in front of Belisof Triminatov's villa buzzing with anticipation. The workers twittered and exchanged small talk their eyes never leaving the small podium on the raised platform ahead of them. At 10:20 a man not one of us here at the Crylist Xpress have seen before approached the podium and cleared his throat. He announced that, at that moment from here on forth, that he, Jason Barristan was King of the Paradise of Light and Shadow. He announced that he overthrew Belisof Triminatov late the night before and took his place at the Pale Throne. The Paradise of Light and Shadow is now, it seems, a monarchy as all the members of the Triminatov family have vanished and both the House of Disparity and Order approved King Jason and quietly disbanded.

Elections have been postponed and the major posts of the government have been filled by Barristan family members. Troops seemingly under the command of King Jason look nervously over the border to Vashura. It seems that the new government is not sure how the people of Vashura will react. Tommen Reich, the former Lord of External Affairs, has been released from prison and has received an official pardon and installed in King Jason's personal council. In the coming months, one can expect an increase in military presence as well as the government reaching out to the main countries of Noctur for official recognition.
King Jason spoke of opening the borders to immigrants of all kinds and international friendships with nations all over Noctur. King Barristan said he would lower the taxes and legalize private enterprise. He went on like this for another twenty minutes and when he stopped, each major member of the new government knelt in front of him and publicly declared their undying fealty and loyalty to the new crown. He then commanded the crowd to kneel and also pledge their service. With not much other choice everyone, including myself, knelt and muttered the words of fealty. King Barristan returned to the podium and, with emotion, pledged the the Paradise will also, someday, expand its borders and become a power to be reckoned with in Noctur. He legalized the state regulated sale and distribution of arms right there on the spot and announced the creation of the Royal Army, Navy, Airforce, and Special Forces. With that, he drew his saber, flourished it, and stalked away into the safety of the former Triminatov manor.

What does this mean for you, common Paradisan citizen? This means that you do not get to vote, though the men elected in our former administration has almost no power to do anything anyways. This means that there are jobs opening up in both the arms industry and the armed forces of the Paradise. Foreign diplomats and multilingual persons are needed for the sudden internationalist policy announced by the King. Resisting the new government will be met with presumably lethal force, but why would one resist? The Triminatov line were indecisive, cruel, and sometimes crazy. The new Barristan line does not have anywhere to go but here and they are sure to improve the Paradise and take us to heights seen never before.

We, the people of the Paradise of Light and Shadow, say that we will no longer live under the oppressive Triminatov dynasty. We, the people say, no! We, the people say that we will support a new man with dreams to take the Paradise where no man has ever taken it before. We, the people say long live King Jason Barristan!

And with that, the Barristan family has taken control of the Paradise and secured a future for the sons and daughters of the land of Light and Shadow.

Long live the Paradise of Light and Shadow! Long live the King, Jason Barristan! --Reporter Joshua Strang

Segland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Segland » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:08 pm

The Daily Summit

Image Comment (69)
Image Recommend (69)
Image E-mail
Image Share
Image Print

Karl van Hooft Sworn Into Office

RYUTSVAAG, F.D.

Karl van Hooft has been elected the 31st Chancellor of the Seglandic Republic.

On the night of March 16, it was announced that Karl van Hooft had won the chancellery by a longshot. Six governors voted in favor of him, two governors voted in favor of Nigel Reston, and there were two abstentions. Most sources predicted van Hooft and the Nationalist Party to claim another victory in the elections, considering every chancellor has been a member of the Nationalist Party since M.A. Kruger in 1950.

Karl van Hooft gained 64% of the popular vote, Nigel Reston gained 34%, and the other 2% went to third party candidates, notably the Cultural Front. In every state, a majority voted for van Hooft.

Chancellor van Hooft is anti-Radiatian just like his predecessor, and he says that there will be no official diplomatic relations with the Radiatian Federation during his term. He also asks the world to condemn Radiatia for destroying government buildings and killing innocent politicians who had no affiliation with the embassy bombing. Van Hooft continues to deny any Seglandic involvement in the recent string of terrorist attacks.

As for the National Assembly, many new assembly members have been elected due to the fact that over 70 former members were killed in the missile attack. The Nationalist Party maintains a majority in the Assembly. Two formerly Nationalist seats were taken by the New Conservative Party. The Assembly will be meeting in the Old Capitol until the Parliament Complex can be rebuilt.

Several new ministers were appointed to the Cabinet by the Chancellor. They are listed below:

Minister of Foreign Affairs - J.W. Folse
Minister of Education - Godfried Krantz
Minister of Science - Pier Eerkens
Minister of the Exchequer - Aart Marco de Vroom

Gubernatorial elections are set to begin next month.

Mass Deportation of Radiatians to Commence

RYUTSVAAG, F.D.

BREAKING NEWS
Chancellor Karl van Hooft has ordered the immediate deportation of all Radiatian foreign nationals.

The Chancellor has ordered that all Radiatian foreign nationals in Segland be deported to Radiatia effective immediately. The true reason for this is unknown, although the Chancellor assures us that it is for the safety and protection of the Radiatians.

Following this act, all Radiatians are also banned from entering the country. The State Security Agency threatens that anyone who resists the order will be shot.

Van Hooft also states that any retaliation by the Radiatian Federation itself will be seen as an act of war. He demands the co-operation of the Radiatian government and asks that they do not interfere with the deportation process.

The government promises to release more information about this as the process commences.

In Other News:
  • Governor elections begin next month
  • J.W. Folse terminates any remaining relations with Radiatia
  • Black miners trapped in cave collapse
Last edited by Segland on Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere." - Seamus Heaney

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:45 am

EDITORIAL: WHY DO THEY HATE US?
EXAMINING THE RISE OF ANTI-RADIATIANISM

March 17th LET 48 Last updated 22:06 Exegrad Standard Time
ImageImageImageImage

EDITORIAL
The political fallout from the recent cruise missile strikes on Segland has exposed once and for all the rise of anti-Radiatianism throughout Noctur. Josephine Brinkerhoff of the Exegrad Times explains why the world seems to hate Radiatia.

RADIATIA - FUCK NO? Anti-Radiatianism is on the rise, with the world beginning to reject Radiatian values

When you think of Radiatia, certain things spring to mind - endless deserts, or plains or arctic wastelands, a land of excess where everything's big - from the landmass, to the burgers, to the boobs, to the average citizen's girth. Politically we think of the country that has been the defender of human rights and democracy for the last 30 years, the champions of individualism, the nation of slaves that overthrew their communist masters.

Unfortunately, Radiatians are all but completely alone in their views regarding the Great Northern Land's role in history and in the world. Radiatia likes to think of itself as a nation trying to do good to atone for its evil ways in the past. But it wasn't until a recent trip to Ankh Morpork in ArghNeedAName where I slowly got a taste of how the world really sees the Radiatian Federation.

Although it's the Radiatians who are stereotyped as rude and unfriendly, generally if you're in a taxi or on a bus, you make small talk with the person next to you, and try and find out where they're from and where they're going. In Ankh Morpork this didn't happen. Indeed on the way to the hotel from the airport, the taxi driver rolled his eyes and tutted when I told him I'd just arrived from Exegrad.

"Oh great. Another Radiatian here to lecture me about how everything's so much bigger and more 'efficient' up north," He muttered.

I tried to make conversation, but eventually I gave up - he did not want to talk to me. "Sorry mate, but I've talked to too many Radiatians today. One more conversation with your lot and I swear I'm gonna top myself."

I was puzzled throughout my trip. Visibly empty restaurants turned me away, and in the rare event that I did manage to strike up a conversation with a friendly ArghNeedANamer, it was only so they could tell me everything they didn't like about Radiatia.

"You're backsliding away from democracy," Said one man. "And your education system leaves a lot to be desired. I learned in kindergarten what Radiatians learn at university."

In a way, he wasn't wrong, at least about our education system. Because while it's true that we lack in literacy, numeracy and geography, there's also a problem with the way that even the best Radiatian schools are teaching history.

Most ArghNeedANamers know something that Radiatians don't - which is that for the better part of 40 years, they all lived in fear that the Radiatian People's Socialist Union was going to drop an atomic bomb on them, or invade in the midst of winter. ArghNeedANamic textbooks have pages dedicated to the genocides and atrocities committed by the communist regime - and the fascist regime before that.

In Radiatian textbooks, years of horror have been reduced to a few sentences - 'Radiatia was communist for many years, until a man named Traiyan Silviu and the Radiatian people overthrew their tyrannical masters.'

There's no mention of the RPSU's atomic attack on Rivenka, or of constant threats against its neighbours, or of the more than ten million people brutally murdered for reasons as ridiculous as following a religion to simply having too much money. Radiatian history books ignore the harsh rhetoric not unlike the rhetoric we hear today - Radiatia is civilisation, the world is barbarism, and we will bring civilisation to the barbarians.

Or as the rest of the world reads it: Radiatia wants to rule the world.

So while to a Radiatian, taking a tough stand against tyrants and dictators may seem fresh, even noble - to our friends and immediate neighbours, they've heard it all before. It's just the same rhetoric to defend slightly different values. It's now "Individualism and Efficiency" instead of "Equality and Efficiency".

When President Silviu ordered a cruise missile strike on Segland in retaliation for the Radiatian embassy bombing, Noctur became sharply divided between those supporting the Radiatian Federation, and those opposed. The governments of ArghNeedAName, Aazeronia, Nui-ta and Detectatia for the most part rose to our defence - they are after all our closest allies.

But though the governments of our close allies - who, incidentally, are all democratic nations - voiced their support for their "Great Ally" Radiatia, in order to save political face lest they ever need Radiatia to defend them, that support does not extend to the citizenry of said nations.

Since the fall of communism Anti-Radiatianism has existed, just as "Radiatianism" has spread. Radiatia has been accused of imperialism on a daily basis since at least LET 30 - Greasy Joe's is seen as if though it is the work of the devil and foreign parents scold their children for listening to Radiatian music and watching Radiatian TV.

But for our allies at least, this undercurrent of anti-Radiatian isn't because of jealousy, or even because they oppose Radiatia taking military action to defend itself. The reason for such anti-Radiatianism among our allies is because our allies remember what we've forgotten - that is, what it was like to live in fear of that huge nation which occupies the northern part or Terra Occidens.

For our allies this undercurrent ranges from snobbishness in ArghNeedAName, to accusations of jingoism in Detectatia and Aazeronia and even going so far as to ferment into the occasional protest in Nui-ta.

It makes sense that Tuthina, with its barbaric regime and belief that 'national sovereignty does not exist' would oppose Radiatia. Radiatia seeks to contain Tuthina's influence, and should do so for the good of mankind. In Segland, anti-Radiatianism led to the bombing of our embassy, after the Radiatian Federation called them out on human rights abuses.

But what to most Radiatians doesn't make sense is why Crata would condemn Radiatia for defending itself, or why the DBN in Detectatia would call Radiatia "jingoistic" for responding to the murder of its own citizens.

The reason for these latter responses is due to fears stemming from the fact that the new, democratic Radiatia, has adopted rhetoric that serves as a chilling reminder of the communist regime and the threat posed by it.

While there have been calls that Radiatians should be better educated about our communist past, as a way of understanding why the world harbours a grudge against us, the Federal Minister of Education, Agnes Dragomirov, stated that she did not believe doing so was necessary.

"The Radiatian People's Socialist Union is a completely different country. Most of us weren't alive back then. Why should we be made to apologise for the actions of another regime, just because that's where our antecedents happened to live?"

Foreign policy experts also reject the claim that Radiatia was, is or ever will be a major threat.

"The RPSU never invaded another country," Says Nash Schreck (SDU - Mus 3rd District), the Deputy Chairman of the Federal Assembly's Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade Committee. "It could have and it never did. Radiatia has enough land. Radiatia has enough money.

"The people who fear us obviously don't understand our mindset. We don't want to rule the world, we have a world within a world right here. All we want is to be left alone by the rest of the world."

For all the accusations of imperialism and jingoism, Radiatia has not been in a major war for more than ten years. Unlike several of the nations making claims against us, we stayed out of the Merrinan conflict. Not since the federation was in its infancy have we launched an unprovoked attack against another nation, and Radiatia has in recent years done its best to adhere to and uphold international law.

Yet until Radiatians start to understand the world, and the world starts to understand Radiatia, it seems that citizens of Noctur's most powerful country will remain in the dark as to why the world we try so hard to be a good neighbour to seems to hate us.

- The Exegrad Times

HackeySack (Goldstadt, Detzertscha)
4 HOURS AGO
Absolutely spot on. I was lucky enough to be educated in Nui-ta, and yeah there are some massive gaps in our history books. But I do think there is blame on both sides - the rest of the world seems to overreact to everything Radiatia does.
312 likes

Emily (Das Engel, Amentra)
2 HOURS AGO
Yeah yeah they all hate Radiatia and then they come here to take our jobs because they know we're the only country where they have a chance of making any money. Rest of the world is overrun by violence, crime and poverty.
23 likes

Fond of Tacos (Venya, Tuvea)
1 HOUR AGO
Radiatia is the nation that's bringing Noctur together - because everyone in Noctur is united by the fact that for some odd reason they all hate us!
291 likes

In Other News:

• MacFarlane: "Radiatians in Segland ignored travel warnings and must take responsibility"
  • Dangerous rhetoric from Paradise of Light and Shadow after Jason Barristan rises to power in a coup d'état
  • The world reacts to Silviu's re-election

Last edited by Radiatia on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adwest
Envoy

Founded: May 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Adwest » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:35 am

Adwest News Today
Your source of up-to-date information from the Kingdom of Adwest

King Tristan Durnador II slams Radiatian attack on Segland, says attack was "baseless and politically-motivated"

King Durnador II, always an outspoken
individual, has today condemned the
attack on Segland by Radiatia
In the midst of rising tensions between two states within the region, the Radiatian Federation and the Republic of Segland, King Tristan Durnador II has today chosen to speak his mind in public regarding the recent missile strike ordered by Radiatian president Keldon Silviu on what he considers an ally-by-treaty of Adwest, Segland.

The 60-year old Adwestian sovereign announced in a 6-minute public broadcast earlier today his condemnation of Radiatia's actions. This came as a surprise for most of the public as the King, however outspoken he was, preferred to relegate all his views through his Ministers, specifically Minister of Foreign Affairs Charles Winchester. The Foreign Minister himself was quite surprised, as his majesty had ordered him just last night to congratulate the victor of Radiatia's elections, the same man who ordered the missile strike, Keldon Silviu.

"I do not understand why the King would do this...sudden declaration all of a sudden. Previously, he was positive about Mr. Silviu but now, he seems to have lost it, lost his positive views on the man, and presumably, Radiatia. I do hope this will not be a strain to the relations shared by the Radiatian Federation and the Kingdom of Adwest." was the response that came from Minister Winchester in an interview a few hours ago, when we asked of why the monarch has chosen to voice his opinion.

Minister Winchester has also said that the views expressed by the sovereign are his and his views alone, and are not the opinion of the whole of the Kingdom of Adwest. Nonetheless, we have found out that the majority of the population supported the monarch's decision and had applauded him for taking a stand to defend Segland.

After our interview with Minister Winchester, we tried to contact his majesty and we were lucky to get an insider look at the sovereign's mind. He said to us that the reason for his condemnation was that the attack was "baseless" and "politically-motivated". When asked why, his majesty replied;

The investigations of the Radiatian military regarding Segland's alleged bombing of their embassy is just a ruse, a justification to attack a long-time ally of ours. Their findings were absolutely unfounded and purely biased, and it is my belief that this show of strength had a deeper message to it; it was a move to deter potential economic and political adversaries, it was a move to repulse such states from stealing the spotlight, it was a move to assert their influence throughout the region.

It is unknown if his majesty will be ordering troops to support Segland in the case that war does break out, though foreign policy analysts have stated that a war is unlikely, due to the fact that Segland can easily be crushed by Radiatia and their allies and that Radiatia is not capable of going to war for fear of losing potential markets or areas of influence.

Other news today:
  • Small, republican movements springing up in rural areas
  • Royal Family "does not support the views of the King"
  • Minister Winchester congratulates Paradise of Light and Shadow for new monarchy, seeks closer cooperation
Last edited by Adwest on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Grand Kingdom of Adwest
Aristocratic Warmonger | Imperialist Counterrevolutionary | Reactionary Absolutist

Also the guy who once controlled Falsea | Join me in Eternity!
Views of this nation are not personal unless otherwise stated

Ossoria
Envoy

Founded: Sep 10, 2008
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ossoria » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:08 pm

Ossorian News Service
The latest news and information from the High Kingdom

High Queen "Strongly Condemns" Seglandic Republic
Declares Support for Radiatia, Affirms National Right to Self-Defense

In the wake of mounting tensions between the Seglandic Republic and the Radiatian Federation, High Queen Tara Silven has issued a statement outlining a series of decrees outlining the Ossorian position on the affair.

"The Seglantic attack and subsequent destruction of a Radiatian Embassy is a blatant violation of international decency and a flagrant and unprovoked act of barefaced aggression," she said. "Such a vile and reprehensible act cannot and should not be allowed to pass unanswered. To allow such behavior would be a clear invitation to any nation or subversive element with even the illusion of grievance to strike without fear of retaliation."

"Such abject barbarism cannot be allowed to stand unopposed, and the High Kingdom will not countenance such uncivilized behavior from a party that dresses itself in the trappings of nationhood."

Over the course of her statement, the High Queen issued several decrees to be effective immediately.

Seglandic-flagged ships traveling inside the Ossorian Exclusive Economic Zone are being intercepted and boarded by Ossorian patrol vessels and thoroughly inspected for violations of Ossorian maritime law and safety practices. All Seglandic-held accounts have been frozen and trade has been severely restricted by new regulations put in place by the Ministry of Commerce. In addition, half of the Seglandic Embassy staff have been flagged as personae non gratae and expelled from the country.

In contrast, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has been directed to actively aid Radiatian citizens by aiding them in leaving the country, granting asylum in Ossorian diplomatic outposts, and accelerating the process of granting visas. Additionally, the Ossorian Ambassador to Radiatia has been directed to offer whatever reasonable assistance the Federation may require of the High Kingdom.

The Ministry of Defense has also been ordered to increase military readiness to deter any potential retaliation from the Seglantic Republic.

"In the end, the surest defense of a nation lies in the certainty that any overt threat against it will be met with force," she said. "Though we do not consider it likely, it would be the height of folly to not prepare ourselves for whatever action these volatile and unpredictable thugs may instigate."

In Other News:
  • New Royal Navy deployments see the ORS Justitia, ORS Conrí and the 4th Fleet put to sea ahead of schedule
  • Ministry of Foreign Affairs issues a special recall non-essential personnel from Seglantic postings
  • Ossorian subjects are cautioned against travel to Segland and those already present advised to leave immediately
Last edited by Ossoria on Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The High Kingdom of Ossoria
High Queen Tara Silven

Segland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Segland » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:10 pm

The Daily Summit

Image Comment (69)
Image Recommend (69)
Image E-mail
Image Share
Image Print

Threats Made Against Ossoria

RYUTSVAAG, F.D.

The Chancellor has threatened the Ossorians after their condemnation of the Republic.

Recently, the High Queen of Ossoria made it known to the world that she condemned the Seglandic Republic and its alleged attack on the Radiatian embassy.

Chancellor van Hooft took this as an opportunity to do several things. His first action was to appear on national television and declare a state of emergency in light of recent anti-Seglandic rhetoric from several nations in Noctur. This grants him almost dictatorial powers over the Republic.

His second action was to threaten the High Kingdom of Ossoria. They committed several anti-Seglandic acts, primarily economic sanctions. These are the words of the Chancellor:

"I ask the High Kingdom of Ossoria to immediately cease and desist in its blatant acts of aggression against the Seglandic Republic. If you do not comply within 48 hours, I will have to send a naval force to make you reconsider your choices."

The last part of his threat was seemingly directed at the High Queen, Tara Silven.

The Chancellor's ultimatum has been met with mixed results from the Seglandic populace. Silas Roy, a member of the New Conservative Party, said, "I totally disagree with this. If Nigel Reston had been elected Chancellor, we would be binding up our wounds with the other nations of Noctur, not provoking them into war."

However, Ruben Antuma disagreed, saying, "Anything that will further our great nation is fine by me. It's letting everyone else know that you don't screw with Segland."

Pimp Stallion, a local rapper, said, "Yo, I wanna pop a cap in our gov's racist ass. Now, lemme get back to sippin' on my sizzurp..."

The military is mobilizing in anticipation of Ossoria's rejection of the warning set in place by Van Hooft.

In Other News:
  • Travel ban has been put on Radiatia and Ossoria
  • Chancellor thanks Adwest for their support
  • Black miners rescued from dangerous cave collapse

OOC: Pimp Stallion's quote is courtesy of Radiatia.
Last edited by Segland on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby The Paradise of Light and Shadow » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:12 pm

Crylist Xpress

The best and the brightest

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Barristan condemns Ossoria, applauds Segland

King Barristan has condemned Ossoria and demands they immediately stand down
Hours after Segland issued threats to the nation of Ossoria, King Jason Barristan condemned the Queen for her "blatant acts of aggression against the people of Segland." He announced that he intends for the Paradise to support politically, and possibly militarily, Segland in the coming weeks.

King Barristan went on to say that the Paradisan Navy was mobilizing and would soon be ready to stand by their new friends. He praised Chancellor van Hooft for his tenacity and nationalism.
If every leader was like the Chancellor the world would be enjoying another golden age of peace and wealth- King Barriston

Several Barristan family member has several choice words to share with the press.

Prince Robert Barristan- "My lord father has made the correct decision, as always. Hail, new friends of Segland!

Mrs. Mayberry Barristan- "My son is an idiot, always sticking his big nose where it doesn't belong. You would have thought I raised him better than this"

Queen Savannah Barristan- "I'm not really sure what to think of this. I'm sure that my hubbykins knows what he is doing. He is a very smart man after all" <3 (EDITORS NOTE: The Queen demanded that her quote be published and a heart inserted at the end of it)

The people of the Paradise await eagerly for what seems to be the event of the decade.

Other News

- Yakkum, a Radiatian delicacy, has been banned by the National Food Organization and classified as a dangerous substance
- Vacationers can no longer go to Ossoria, as travel has been restricted
- Princess Myrcie gets drunk and knocks over a baby carriage
- Triminatov family confirmed alive, for now
Last edited by The Paradise of Light and Shadow on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Conpatraia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Conpatraia » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:21 pm

OOC: PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE AMERICAN FLAG PIN IN HIS LAPEL

March 19
O País Xornal
O País Newspaper

Keeping the Peace

Secretary Ferreiro makes his stake in the growing tensions around Noctur

Secretary of State Martín Ferreiro plans to travel to various nations around the region to plan a peace conference.

MIDRÁS, CONPATRAIA — Today, Secretary Martín Ferreiro announced a series of trips around Noctur in an effort to keep the growing tensions in the region from escalating to all-out war. Trips mentioned included Radiatia, Adwest, Poldania, Ossoria, and possibly to the Paradise of Light and Shadow.

"Never before in my diplomatic career have I seen such a drastic escalation of aggression as what has occurred in the past few days," said the Secretary in his statement, "Following terrorist attacks in Segland and disparaging actions taken by and statements from other nations, the President and I felt it was necessary for Conpatraia to get involved, lest, God forbid, war were to break out."

This foreign trip comes during a spat of words between Radiatia, Segland, the Paradise of Light and Shadow, Adwest, and Ossoria, following a terrorist attack on the Radiatian embassy in Segland's capital of Ryutsvaag.

Earlier this week, Radiatia launched a missile attack on the Seglandic Parliament in response to what the Radiatian government described as state-sponsored terrorism. Segland responded by accusing the Radiatians themselves of imposing terrorism on their nation through the aforementioned missile attack.

In the midst of all this (plus a Radiatian election which saw Keldon Silviu reelected), The Paradise of Light and Shadow's government was overthrown in a coup d'état which installed an anti-Radiatian government in the northern island nation. Meanwhile in Segland, a new chancellor was chosen in Karl van Hooft who then immediately ordered Radiatian nationals out of his country.

At that point, Adwest and Ossoria entered the fray on the side of Segland and the new Paradise government; and Radiatia, respectively. The King of Adwest, Tristan Durnador II, condemned the Radiatian missile attack. Ossoria came to Radiatia's defense and condemned Segland, prompting the Seglandic government to threaten hostile action against Ossoria.

More details on the peace conference to be revealed as the situation develops.

Nui-ta
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nui-ta » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:32 pm

Opinion: Do Nui-tans Really Hate Radiatia?
A Response to A Radiatian Finding

By Jamal Kozair, Opinion Reporter for the Kaurizil Herald

Contrary to what most people think abroad, Radiatian culture is increasingly becoming better accepted in Nui-ta. Most Radiatian readers will probably scoff when I say this, and they have good reason to --- but do we as Nui-tans really hate Radiatia?

A recent article on the NPA caught my attention last week: the rise of Anti-Radiatian Sentiment. The reporter writing the article spoke venomously on how hated her nation was abroad, even among the populaces of allied nations such as ArghNeedAName and Nui-ta.

Now I will admit that she had some points right.

For one, of course our government would be quick to stand up to Radiatia's defense in consideration to the missile strike on Segland. Furthermore, yes (although I hate to admit it), the fact that Radiatia is an indispensable part of Nui-ta's defense plan has a lot to do with it. Left or right on the political spectrum, only the truly stupidest of Nui-tans believe that breaking ties with Radiatia will do us more good than harm. Let's just clarify that right now. Without Radiatia, we'd be a war zone and a hell of a lot poorer than we are at this moment. We'd be far less advanced and our standing within Noctur would be non-existent.

But here's what I wondered: did the writer of the Radiatian article actually stop to consider Nui-tan cultural values? It's common knowledge that Nui-ta and Radiatia differ on many aspects of culture, but not on strong shows of defense. It's a common Stalari tenet that when wronged, one strikes back --- not for vengeance but to put the aggressor in his or her place. It's one thing to be a bully, but there are times when we need to tell those who are troubling us to back off.

The Radiatian government was justified in striking a nation that had bombed its embassy. For Segland to bomb the Radiatian embassy shows that Segland has no respect towards Radiatians or the diplomatic relationship between Radiatia and Segland. In this author's opinion, there are a lot of things wrong with Segland, but I digress. If that had happened to Nui-ta, we'd be demanding retaliation.

For the record, a recent poll conducted by the NNN shows that while only 26% of Nui-tans disagreed with Radiatian handling of the situation, and out of that number, 74% didn't think Radiatia was harsh enough.

That just goes to show you that Nui-tan society has little against the current actions of the Radiatian government.

But what about the supposed Noctur-wide sentiment that Radiatians are a bunch of morbidly obese, ineducated, racist, sexist, immoral bastards?

I will admit that about 10 years ago, that stereotype was all too rampant in Nui-ta. Although I'm hardly an authority on the subject, I am sad to say that Radiatians are still subjected to that stereotype on the Eastern Continent.

But as far as Nui-ta goes, the social view of Radiatians has changed.

A few years ago, the Radiatian ambassador to Nui-ta was made a Monsignour for his work, a title which Mr. Ivers has graciously accepted and honored. His daughter attends an A-track school in Nui-ta. His family is happy and intact. He's not obese. Does this really look like Greasy Joe to anyone?

Still not impressed?

On the popular Nui-tan children's shows Pop Star and Adventures in Bogsland, there are characters that enforce POSITIVE stereotypes of Radiatians.

Pop Star being a show aimed more at females ages 10-15, it features a gaggle of girls in a random A-track school. One of the children is Radiatian, a character named Lena Ulhert. Lena is pretty, slim, well-groomed, athletic, and does decently in school. She does have an accent, but as far as I can see, this is not portrayed against her.

Adventures in Bogland takes place in a fantasy realm and therefore doesn't have a Radiatian character persay, but there is a character in the little band of adventurers named Pip who is extremely good with tools. Now Pip IS a little porky, but he has blonde hair, pale skin, and blue slanted eyes. He also speaks English and has casually stated a couple of times that he misses his home in "Layenia".

Oh, and he's apparently one of the most popular characters on the show...

Radiatian music, contrary to the statement in the article, IS okay for Nui-tan teenagers to listen too most of the time without parents complaining. Younger children are still generally told not to listen to it, but Nui-tan parents are stricter. That doesn't mean we hate Radiatians...you think Radiatian music is the only music I don't allow my five-year-old son to listen to?

As for Radiatian TV...I can't understand it. No, I mean I literally can't understand the language and therefore don't really take my time on it. There are a few movies I'll watch with my teenaged daughter (gasp) from Alayenia which are actually in English. But the lack of Radiatian TV in Nui-ta has more to do with the fact that WE CAN'T UNDERSTAND A WORD.

I call religious discrimination on the Greasy Joe's thing. Stalari religion bans the consumption of anything from an animal that isn't meat, fat, or blood. The secret sauce on most burgers violates this rule, and 70% of Nui-tans are suddenly unable to eat Greasy Joe's. That does not mean we hate Radiatia --- it means that the company should do to Nui-ta what they did with Penguinmark and tweak the sandwiches a little so Nui-tans will be able to eat them.

They did this with Penguinmark: made a sandwich with a fish between two pieces of bread, which most penguins enjoyed.

There are many Radiatians who live and work in Nui-ta. Their children attend our schools and play with our kids. There are some incidents of discrimination, sadly, but these incidents are socially frowned upon and the perpetrators end up in an ILOP jail cell somewhere.

The Rise of Anti-Radiatianism?

As far as my country, I think not.

In Other News
  • Kaurizil Terrorist Suspects Apprehended
  • Evan Isaci Posthumously Has a Grandson?
  • Rising Terrorism in Nui-ta: What Could Another Attack Mean?
Someone cares? Okay then. Economic Left/Right: -2.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.85

INFP-T personality, quite heavy on the I,P, and T.

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:19 pm

PRESIDENT SILVIU GRANTS HIS FIRST PRESIDENTIAL PARDON
'ADMINISTRATIVE ERROR' SEES MINISTER OF HEALTH CHARGED WITH ESPIONAGE

March 19th LET 48 Last updated 18:26 Exegrad Standard Time
ImageImageImageImage

XERCONIA, FCT
President Keldon Silviu has today given his first full Presidential pardon, after Health Minister Gregory Snezhava was 'accidentally' charged with espionage.
Health Minister Gregory Snezhava has been formally
pardoned after it was revealed he was not actually a
Radiatian citizen

Minister Snezhava was arrested by the FPA last week after a routine background check revealed that he was not a Radiatian citizen, and as such had been serving in the federal cabinet illegally for the last four years.

The Minister - who also served for four years as bankbencher for the Workers Party - claims that he was born in Radia in LET 5.

"I thought there had to have been a mistake. I went to school in Radiatia, Radiatian is the only language I speak, I served for two years in the RFA and I've never travelled abroad," He said, back at work in his office on Level 77 of the Executive Tower in Federation Square. "And yet I had these creeps from R-SOD and the FPA telling me I was being arrested for being a foreign spy."

After a 24 hour investigation, it emerged that Gregory Snezhava - who believed he had born in the border town of Grimshaw, Radia - had actually been born on the ArghNeedANamic side of the border, in the province of Kindare.

Having never travelled abroad, Snezhava had never needed to obtain a birth certificate or passport, and had risen through the Radiatian political system based on his old military ID, which was considered valid at the time.

Officials from the Federal Police Agency said that they would have alerted the President of this fact during Minister Snezhava's confirmation hearing four years ago "except unfortunately someone misplaced form B-6-21 and then the printer ran out of ink and we couldn't get clearance to sign form F-51B due to Regulation 5116 which meant we had no ink, no paper and no one to countersign form 7F-18."

Minister Snezhava said he was 'surprised' about his ordeal and to hear of his ArghNeedANamic origins.

"I feel sort of ashamed that I've been a citizen of ArghNeedAName all my life and I've never been to Ankh Morpork, never learned to speak English, never learned the national anthem and really don't know anything at all about my home country."

Although the FPA agreed that the Minister had made a 'perfectly valid mistake', he was still charged with espionage and was liable to receive deportation, a stiff prison sentence or even the death penalty.

"The law's the law," Said one bureaucrat at the FPA. "We don't let murderers off because they 'made a mistake', why should this guy be treated differently?"

However, he was spared when President Keldon Silviu issued him with a full Presidential pardon, and went on to grant him full Radiatian citizenship by executive order.

"He's an efficient Minister, and a good man," Said the President before jocularly adding "Besides, he's Minister of Health! Most of our doctors are foreigners - he'll get on with them like a house on fire."

- RPNN

George George George of the Jungle (Xarenia, Garotch)
2 HOURS AGO
Pretty concerning if you ask me. How many people from, say, Tuthina are in the Federal Assembly right now and pretending to be from Chongluntz? This is pretty sloppy work by R-SOD and the FPA.
32 likes

Jacob (Onzune, Alayenia)
2 HOURS AGO
Haha, that's actually quite funny. My wife was the same - she thought she was born in Alayenia, was actually born in Sitherland. They probably have the same problem down there.
17 likes

DEFENDER OF DESTINY (Agora, Diifgrao)
2 HOUR AGO
THIS IS FCUKING INACCEPIBLE!!! KLEDON SLIVU IS SALEING US OFF TO THE FORENORS!!!! THIS IS DISGUSTING THIS DISGUSTING FOREN SPY SHOED BE SHOTT!!!!!!!1!!
1 likes

In Other News:

• CODE ORANGE: Is Noctur on the brink of a major war?
  • King of Adwest voices his support for state-sponsored terrorism; Radiatia condemns Adwest
  • Spotlight on Ossoria: Radiatia's new friend?
  • RFS Yerkal Nathus Carrier Strike Group deployed to northern Oriens Ocean, near Vashura

Adwest
Envoy

Founded: May 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Adwest » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:51 am

Adwest News Today
Your source for up-to-date information from the Kingdom of Adwest

Diplomatic relations with Radiatia and Ossoria are cut, as Adwest foreign policy shifts towards ideological allies

"The King has spoken, escalation is inevitable"
-- Minister Winchester"

Following the recent condemnations of the Radiatian Federation and the "political maneuvering" of the High Kingdom of Ossoria, King Tristan Durnador II has formally ordered the full closure of bilateral relations that Adwest shares with the aforementioned nations. Though no longer available, the King's wife, Queen Beatrice Durnador, has stated that his majesty will be resting for awhile after the fiery declaration and leaving the rest of the work towards the Royal Council of Lords.

The move to cut ties had garnered massive support from the populace, and recent polls say that support for the monarchy is at an all-time high. Civilians and the military alike are voicing ardent support to the new policy and are willing to march off into war in support of his majesty's epiphany that Adwestian politics can never be truly democratic, and that coexistence with such states is undesirable.

In a press conference held today, minister Charles Winchester declared the measures that his majesty had personally instructed him to undertake regarding the shutdown of diplomacy, as follows:

It is with a heavy heart that the Kingdom of Adwest do hereby declare the termination of all diplomatic relations with the Radiatian Federation and the High Kingdom of Ossoria, following their unprecedented attacks towards not only two allies of the Kingdom, the Seglandic Republic and the Monarchy of the Paradise of Light and Shadow, but also towards Adwest. In light of this, all Radiatian and Ossorian nationals residing within the Kingdom's borders are to be stripped of their legal documents and must be taken home by authorities from their nations within the week or risk being detained, until hostilities towards Segland, Light and Shadow, and Adwest cease. Furthermore, all Radiatian and Ossorian diplomatic officials are to be ejected within 24 hours, and the Adwestian ambassadors-at-large toward Radiatia and Ossoria are to be recalled back to the homeland.

If the Radiatian Federation and the High Kingdom of Ossoria refuse to cease their meddling and aggressive acts towards the Seglandic Republic and in the event that a further escalation of tensions yields into war, then let it be known that the Kingdom of Adwest shall stand by the side of our ally until the last man.

The Minister of War, Lord William Banks, had released an order to put the Royal Armed Forces of Adwest on high alert, and this includes the mobilization of a Royal Fleet into international waters, to prevent a preemptive strike on the Kingdom's borders. Minister Banks has stated that "the army is ready to move out anytime, if worse comes to worse".

Furthermore, the Minister of Labor and Commerce, Margaret Davis, had placed trade embargoes upon Radiatia and Ossoria. Rumors are also spreading that the his majesty had ordered Adwest's privateer fleet to shoot down any vessels, military or otherwise, from these two states once within Adwestian borders.

The future of the Kingdom of Adwest and regional stability is obscure, and we are not sure if more negative implications will arise from the "power-playing" of these two blocks. But one thing is certain; Adwest has forged the chains of friendship towards what Noctur considers as "hostile states".

Other news today:
  • Minister Winchester "open" to talks proposed by Conpatraian Secretary of State Martin Ferreiro
  • King Durnador II fatally ill?
  • Order of Margaret Sophia I awarded to last living member of dissolved Council of Nobles, Baron Harold Talbot
Last edited by Adwest on Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Grand Kingdom of Adwest
Aristocratic Warmonger | Imperialist Counterrevolutionary | Reactionary Absolutist

Also the guy who once controlled Falsea | Join me in Eternity!
Views of this nation are not personal unless otherwise stated

ArghNeedAName
Minister

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby ArghNeedAName » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:49 am

PRIME MINISTER: "THE LAST THING WE WANT IS A WAR"
Robinson and Barton affirm support for Radiatia and criticise Segland's actions

Prime Minister Mark Robinson has warned that a series of diplomatic crises in Noctur could escalate into a war if the "Gang of Three" (Segland, Adwest and the "Paradise" of Light and Shadow) do not stop their threats against Radiatia and Ossoria. The first sign that the spat could esalate into a military conflict came when the new Chancellor of Segland, Karl van Hooft, threatened to move the country's navy force towards Ossoria within a matter of days unless they back down and reverse their sanctions. Such a provocation could start a war that draws other countries in; as Robinson explained, "these actions have a tendancy to snowball into something serious."

The Prime Minister has warned that if ships were to enter Ossoria's sovereign terrority, "it would be a military provocation against Ossoria, by any definition". "I cannot understand what the new government of Segland is trying to achieve. You cannot force another nation to like you or to trade with you. Starting a war is not going to change this. This is a baffling and dangerous display of poor judgement."

Although the United Provinces has not severed any diplomatic relations with either three countries, its embassy in Segland was vacated soon after the attack on the Radiatian embassy, out of fears that a similar attack woud follow on the ArghNeedANamic embassy. The government has implemented economic sanctions and travel warnings against Segland and L&S.

The Prime Minister maintains that "We support and stand by our Radiatian allies here amid the growing crisis, and we'd also like to praise Ossoria for their courageous actions in the face of Segland's cowardly threats. We also believe that the whole affair could be diffused relatively easily if a conference was to be held and we thank Conpatraia for taking the initiative in proposing one. The last thing we want is a war." Foreign Minister Michael Barton said that he was "hopeful that, with a little work, the problem can be sorted out."

The Gang of Three consists of three countries ruled by nationalist governments. None are democracies:
  • Segland is a republic in which the majority of the population are black, but only the white minority is allowed to vote or have any say in the running of the country. Although their political scene does tolerate an opposition in the form of a more modeate white nationalist party (who have never won a national election to date), opposition to the Apartheid regime itself has been regularly suppressed. The newly-elected Chancellor Karl van Hooft took the Radiatian missile strike as an excuse to declare a State of Emergency and assume even more powers.
  • Adwest is a monarchy ruled by King Tristan Durnador II. There are no elections, but the monarch does not govern the country on his own and nobles and crown-appointed ministers carry out much of the day-to-day work. Prior to Radiatia's missile strike on Segland, the government's views on Radiatia were overall relatively neutral. Barton argues that out of the Gang of Three, "Adwest is the nation which is most likely to seek peace."
  • The Paradise of Light and Shadow, which may perhaps not quite live up to its name, has for much of its history been a reclusive kingdom which was gradually establishing some democracy and ties with the outer world under the previous Triminatov dynasty. The recent coup by Jason Barristan against the Triminatov dynasty has reversed many of these positive developments, establishing a centralised nationalist and anti-Radiatian regime which has aligned itself firmly with the region's troublemakers.

In other news:
  • Polls: Reformists trailing in Skundland but regaining ground in Kixas
  • Labour to debate fixed election dates at upcoming conference
  • Baker announces cuts to police budget
Last edited by ArghNeedAName on Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
President: Malcolm Whitacre
Prime Minister: Mark Robinson
Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs: Michael Barton
1 (Ignore) - 2 (Grumble) - 3 (Threaten) - 4 (Invade) - 5 (Lose)
United Provinces of ArghNeedAName (Note the change!)
Adjective: ArghNeedANamic; Demonym: ArghNeedANamer
Wiki Page Constitution Glossary Hansard
RP Population: 104 million
Embassy program now still open!
Interested in creating a parliamentary diagram? View my guide here!

Tuthina
Senator

Founded: Jun 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tuthina » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:14 am

9th day of the 2nd month
4th year of Syuubun
3,325th Year of the Imperial Calendar

The Empire Calls for De-escalation

Following the recent intensification of situation in the Oriens Ocean, especially between Radiatia and Segland, the central government has officially called for the de-escalation of the situation, worrying that the continued conflict between nations might destabilise the region at large.

A joint meeting between the Ministry of Rites, the Asihara clan, and the representative of the nation of Crata was held yesterday. While originally a conflict between Radiatia and Segland only, the recent declarations and actions between Segland and Ossoria showed that it had escalated into a region-wide incident, with possible signs of open conflict between the navel force of the nations in regard.

The Ministry of Rites, after the meeting had concluded, stated that it was an insightful discussion with both the native and foreign representatives. The nation of Crata, despite not being a monarchy, was famous for being a very pacifist nation with warm, if not tight, diplomatic relations with other nations in the eastern continent. Its commitment towards non-violence was considered commendable by both its people and many nobles within the empire alike, especially after its adherence towards such principle during the conflict in Merrina, where volunteers from the Imperial Cult entered through its land.

Both the imperial government and Asihara clan believed that the peaceful initiative of such an unique nation displayed a possible solution to the current situation that would be beneficial to both the empire and the region at large. Lord Motonobu of the Asihara clan, after another meeting within the clan, stated that a conflict in the Oriens Ocean would be "undesirable for all", especially for nations that were still recovering from the recent economic hardship triggered by the Radiatian market crash.

In order to prevent it from happening, a joint declaration between the empire and Crata, as it was called overseas, was made today by both governments. In the declaration, it called for a region-wide de-escalation of the current situation, especially between those who had used, or claimed to use, military force. Similar to our nation, it believed that the diplomatic complications within can be resolved by a friendly summit between nations to discuss the results of the incident. In order to demonstrate the will for the empire to spread peace among the nations with real actions, the government had pledged to pay for all spendings of the summit and the arriving delegates should it became realised.

The Radiatian-Seglandic conflicts began with an alleged civilian-oriented attack against the Radiatian representative in Segland. Believing that it was backed by the Seglandic government, Radiatia ordered a strike against the Seglandic court and several government institutions. Nations within Noctur were soon divided into two camps, one supporting Radiatia and the other supporting Segland. This republican conflict escalated as the Ossorian monarchy condemned Segland, which responded with possible military deployment to provide a diplomatic leverage. Both the empire and Crata had not taken a firm side in either camp as of now.
Last edited by Tuthina on Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Call me Reno.
14:54:02 <Lykens> Explain your definition of Reno.

11:47 <Swilatia> Good god, copy+paste is no way to build a country!

03:08 <Democratic Koyro> NSG senate is a glaring example of why no one in NSG should ever have a position of authority
Rated as Class A: Environmental Utopia by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Human Rights Haven (7/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Partially Free (4/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Post-Industrial Nation (48 000 thousands of metric tons of carbon annually) by Syleruian Carbon Output Index
Rated as Category B by Edenist Travel Advisory Guide

Ossoria
Envoy

Founded: Sep 10, 2008
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ossoria » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:59 am

Ossorian News Service
The latest news and information from the High Kingdom

High Queen Rejects Seglandic Ultimatum
Royal Navy mobilizes as war looms

High Queen Tara Silven gave a rare balcony speech concerning the recent escalation in the ongoing confrontation between the Seglandic Republic, the Kingdom of Adwest and the High Kingdom.

"The Seglandic Chancellor has taken exception to our recent policy initiatives concerning Seglandic assets within Ossorian jurisdictions, calling them 'blatant acts of aggression'. As though this uncouth drivel is not enough, he has issued an ultimatum, threatening to send a naval force to our islands should we not reverse our course. This is nothing less than a clear and present threat to our sovereignty, our culture, and our nation as a whole; such a threat is unequivocally intolerable."

The High Queen went on to note that the policies described by Segland as being aggressive were only effective within Ossorian territory. All others were supportive in nature and not directed at Segland.

"The High Kingdom has not and will never consent to allow another nation to dictate how we run our own country. And as such, there is only one course of action that our opposition has given to us. As such, I do completely and wholeheartedly reject this abhorrent and insulting ultimatum. Ossoria will never suffer another to govern us."

The High Queen's speech was met with thunderous chanting of the phrase "Osrai go brách" ("Ossoria forever") from the assembled citizenry.

An hour after her speech, the Dáil Osraí announced the passage of a motion to declare that any Adwest or Seglandic ships entering within 50 nautical miles of Ossoria's EEZ territory would be deemed hostile and subject to the use of "the full might and fury of the Ossorian Royal Navy". The motion was signed by the High Queen immediately upon its receipt.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has sent word to the governments of ArghNeedAName, Tuthina, Crata, and Conpatraia that while war with Segland and her allies is obviously not preferable, "the High Kingdom will not back down from such a clear threat to her sacred sovereignty" and has declined to attend any peace negotiations until Segland withdraws its ultimatum and the Chancellor issues a formal apology.

All Adwestian and Seglandic diplomatic staff have been flagged personae non gratae and expelled from the country. All Ossorian diplomatic posts in both nations have been evacuated.

In Other News
  • The Ministry of Defense has recalled all active-duty personnel and select reserve personnel to assume their posts in preparation for hostilities
  • The ORS Cerball and ORS Conrí are reported as patrolling "along the inside of the EEZ boundary" and have had their escorts increased
  • The majority of Ossorians favor war with Segland in light of "continued barbaric behavior"
Last edited by Ossoria on Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The High Kingdom of Ossoria
High Queen Tara Silven

Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby The Paradise of Light and Shadow » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:16 pm

Crylist Xpress

The Best and the Brightest

Radiatia condemned, Barristan appeals to Noctur

King Jason condemns Silviu and calls for the immediate withdrawal of naval strike force

Yesterday, in response to King Barristan denouncing Ossoria and applauding Segland, Radiatia has moved the RFS Yerkal Nathus Carrier Strike Force to the coast of Vashura. In response to this thinly veiled threat and show of power, King Jason issued another round of denouncements for both Radiatia and Ossoria.
Radiatia tries to cow us by show of force, in hopes to frighten us into submission. Not only that, the Radiatian President does not recognize the current government in the Paradise as legitimate! This is unacceptable and now all of Noctur knows that if the presidential pig of Radiatia, Silviu does not get what he wants then the guns come out in earnest -King Jason Barristan

King Barristan called for both the removal of the Radiatian strike force from the northern Orien Ocean and demands the Paradise's neighbors, Vashura to cut any diplomatic ties to Radiatia and to join the Paradise in denouncing their actions. King Barristan also has issued an official request for any honorable nations of Noctur to join the Paradise in their opposition to the recent Ossorian and Radiatian actions. He also asked that military restrictions be put on the nation of Radiatia so that, in the future, they would be unable to bully small nations such as Nui-ta, Penguinmark and ArghNeedAName. We pulled aside several citizens for their opinion on the matter.

"I agree that Radiatia needs to have a leash put on it and I think now is the time for Noctur to band together and cripple the giant that is Silviu" -Dr. Tina Gresnow

"I think the Paradise just needs to butt out of world politics and do what we do best, keeping to ourselves" - Chuck McCrakken

"Beware! The clash of nations is near and it heralds the end of time and space as we know it! Give your blood to the Reaper Who Glides and we might survive the plague of war to come!" - Mad Hermit Xavier

The destroyer, The Hellaphont and the carrier Triminatov Blade has been deployed to just off the shore of the Paradise and the King warns that any unauthorized armed vessel entering Paradisan territory shall be warned once and ordered to leave, and then fired upon.

"Radiatia thinks they are the big boy in a world filled with little kids, confides Prince Robert, maybe someday Noctur can show them just how wrong they are"

-Daniel Hochshiemer

Other News
- Travel to Radiatia is restricted as of yesterday
- Barristan appeals to Tuthina for aid
- Hippies protest the recent banning of yakkum in the Paradise
-

Segland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Segland » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:09 pm

The Daily Summit

Image Comment (69)
Image Recommend (69)
Image E-mail
Image Share
Image Print

WAR WITH OSSORIA IMMINENT

RYUTSVAAG, F.D.

The Seglandic Republic has taken military action against the High Kingdom of Ossoria.

Not to the surprise of most Seglanders, the Chancellor held an emergency convention of both the National Assembly and the House of Governors. After several hours of fierce debating between the Nationalist Party and the New Conservative Party, a consensus was reached: military action must be taken against Ossoria.

Therefore, only a few hours ago, the 1st Fleet of Ryutsvaag in its entirety was deployed to the islands of Ossoria.

Chancellor van Hooft ignored warnings from other nations as well as suggestions of a peace conference, and he refuses to send a diplomat to said conference if it occurs. The Chancellor has already been labeled as a dictator by several nations, although he maintains that everything he has done so far only has the purpose of protecting Seglandic interests.

He warned that if the fleet is fired upon by Ossorian ships, or any other nation's ships, it will be interpreted as an act of war, and the fleet will return fire without hesitation.

The Chancellor implores the other nations of Noctur to join the Seglandic Republic and take action against the petty regime that is the High Kingdom of Ossoria.

"I gave them the peaceful solution," said the Chancellor, in reference to Ossoria. "Conflict is their choice, and it is the result of them wanting to preserve their pride instead of preserving the stability of Noctur."

Van Hooft also gives his utmost thanks to both the king of Adwest as well as the Paradise of Light and Shadow for their support in this crisis, the latter being a new-found ally.

Military exercises on the Seglandic-Poldanian border have been ceased, not wanting to take any chances with provoking other nations into war as well.

In Other News:
  • Premier Reston refuses to support deployment of naval fleet
  • Tensions rising in the Negrostans
  • OPINION: Could this crisis turn into a major war?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information