NATION

PASSWORD

World Cup 62 - The RP thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Zandistan
Attaché

Founded: Jul 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zandistan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:28 am

Elimination from the World Cup was the last thing on the Zandistani footballers’, and especially Flavio Domingo’s, minds. The losses, 2-1 to Pasarga and 3-0 to Octinstine, while not welcome, were always expected, playing higher-ranked teams on the road, and Zandistan never fully challenged for even a playoff spot to reach the World Cup. But the players were focused on the strife going on at home, with battles ongoing between the Zanditos and Zandistani forces led by sub-general Wallace, as well as making sure they finished off their qualifying campaign with a win at home in Coastal Zandar against Backyard Sports. And on Domingo’s mind was an entirely different matter. He, the team’s captain and star player, had been absent for nine straight matches, in which the team had gone 3-0-6, and he knew with his presence they could have no doubt performed stronger.

Sadly for Flavio, though he desired to make it to the final qualifying match, there was no possibility of him playing. When he had woken up from the tranquilization, he was in a very small room, a lit torch high on a stone wall and a little cot underneath him. He called for the nearest person, who entered. Flavio questioned him, “Why do you have me here? Why do you not let me go?”
“Sir, I wanted to. I like you on the soccer field much more than in here. I like your goals. You have brought us much great joy in hard time, repeatedly.”
“Um, well… thank you so much, I’m glad to help when I can. But why can I not go to my team?”
“Your…it’s your leg, sir. It’s crushed. They think you might not walk. Ever.”
“Wh…Why? How? What happened?”
“You…don’t you remember? Run over by a car, then landed square on the broken segment when you jumped out of bed to escape. The bones are shattered, but our main doctor is here to help you. He may be your biggest fan.”
“That explains the cast then. But can I at least join my team, even on the bench? They need me, and I need them!”
“I would let you go, sir. But the head doctor says you need medical care, from him only. He says he can help you, help revive you. There’s an easy way out, take the hall down the left and you’ll find a door…hidden in the stones, actually. It’s hard to find, but it’ll take you right to the cars.”
“Ah, thanks, but who exactly is this doctor?”
“He is…the priest as well. Iumao’hi Sander.”
“You’re telling me that I’m inside of Vuihi Temple right now?”
“You didn’t know that?”
“Well…no. I’ve only had about twenty minutes of consciousness the whole time I’ve been here.”
“Ah, well yes. Anyway, did you want to go to the central chapel, sir? They could help you there I believe.”
“Sure, let’s go,” Flavio consented. The man walked out of the room, and his footsteps trailed off down the stone hall. “Hey, come back!” Flavio shouted.
“You hurry up, man!”
“I need help walking there,” he grumbled.
“Oh, right!” The still-anonymous aide came back, and the two men walked to the temple together, Flavio making sure to note the path in need of escape. Upon arrival into the central chapel, they chanted the prayers together with the priest Sander.

Zandito fu’mao
Zandito fu’mao
kama igaho
igaho vuiho tomou

Other prayers were recited as well, when a crashing noise was heard from the outer areas of the stone temple. The words stopped abruptly. All the men rushed out of the room, grabbing guns and other weaponry and scattering to hiding points throughout the temple. Flavio Domingo was alone in the room. He said one last prayer, then set out hop-crawling on his one good leg and two hands to try to find the exit, by which he could reach his teammates.

~~~

General Zanderstrom had wasted no time. He arrived on the military docks of Krumping Bay, and did his best to ignore the smoke and smell coming from the factory sector of the metropolis. His troops were all there, and he rallied them, giving a rousing speech, ending in the words, “Let’s bring them the ZanderStorm!” They all yelled with fervor, and then two hundred of the most elite troops piled into jeeps to lead the force toward Vuihi Temple. The remaining men would follow behind, providing backup and reinforcements, and also to fight outside the temple, in the forest and countryside, if Wallace also had a large force behind him. But the General dearly hoped he could make it to the temple before Wallace took it over and burned it. Were that to happen, there would be no possible reconciliation of the Zanditos and Zandistanis. Zanderstrom was now not only fighting for himself and to put down the insubordination of his aide, he was also fighting to keep his country intact.
Last edited by Zandistan on Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
CHAMPIONS: Baptism of Fire 48

Northern Sunrise Islands
Minister

Founded: May 05, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Northern Sunrise Islands » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:57 am

Before the match against Mashiki, the coach of the Marills, Lynette Bourbon, was laughing proudly. None of the players understood it at first, but then she called everyone up because she had something to announce.

- So, I believe you all are wondering the reason of my happiness. Well, let me explain it to you fastly.

The coach poke up a small letter she recieved and started to say what was on the little letter and reveal the reason of happiness.

Northern Sunrise Islands Football Confederation
Marill Av. 1300, Mardi

Madam Bourbon, even though your chosen national team has been disappointing a little of our hopes and expectations, we have to tell you that we enjoyed that your team got a pre-invitation to the Cup of Harmony following this tournament.

It seems that even though your team has been playing strangely and not following the normal rules, it meet a certain criteria and may be participating of it. We know that you and our Marills are probably up for this wonderful chance, but I do ask you to, please, try to return playing to the basics. If you don't stop with that, we are considering to replace you and offer you a job at the Street Football national team instead.

President of the Confederation,
Mark Jones

The team started to celebrate, but with an exception. Nagatomo, considered the mastermind on the strange football style of playing that the Marills were enforcing lately, got legitimately angry for hearing that her style of playing was not good for the Confederation's eyes.

- WHAT? That's unbelievable. UNBELIEVABLE. We are already eliminated from the World Cup for crying out loud, we could just go on and continue to mock whatever opponents we have left!

Mateus patted her back, trying to calm her down.

- Orders are orders, Namine. Also, it's good to know that at least they don't want to slice our heads out like a crazy dictatorship or something.

Nagatomo seemed to not be able to calm down.

- But that's bollocks and you know it!

Bonapart said mockingly to Carvalho, still in enjoyment for their pre-invitation.

- Woo Woo Woo, You Know It, Monsieur!

Eventually, the team calmed Nagatomo down, or at least to the point that she showed up for the match against Mashiki. The team tried to act decently and play normal football but lost to Mashiki. Nagatomo opened up the score in the first half, at the mark of 35 minutes, 1-0. However, in the second half, Papovski and Papovska scored, in the fifth and twentieth minutes, leading the match 1-2.
Tails... Watch out, you're gonna crash, aaaaah!
Project +90 | Sunrise's Sportwires (shared with Dainer) | PokéCard ~ Label Guide
Champion: WC 75 and 76, U-15 WC 4 and 6, DBC 29 and 41
Now known as Kita-Hinode

Apox
Minister

Founded: Jun 30, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Apox » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:22 am

Apox trash Slembana in record victory

The Apoxian team is flying higher than ever after a record 8-0 beating of Slembana on the penultimate matchday of the Qualifying Campaign for the 62nd World Cup. Our team came out with confidence against a Slembanan side that fell apart early on in the game, and were unable to come back.

Our 8 goals came courtesy of Dravid Scott who scored his second hat-trick of the qualifying campaign, Will Fich who netted two, and Marlon Vetta who got a brace of goals as well. The final goal was an own-goal by Norris Rawlinson which was really a kick in the face for a demoralised Slembanan team.

Slembana, understandably are rather upset by the whole ordeal, and although we are incredibly pleased with the result, we offer our condolences to the Slembanan people, who are now languishing in 5th place.

Now, our attentions must turn to the next game, against Nopspri, which is a game I cannot see us losing. Aguazul in second place will face Slembana, and if Slembana can managed a shock vicotry or even a draw, and we manage to beat the Nopspri side which we beat comfortably last time, then maybe, just mybe we are still in with a chance of a play-off place. Even so, we have over-acheived once again this cycle, and highlights must be breaking our team record twice, and then recording wins over the higher ranked Thatius and Aguazul.

And we've been invited to the Cup of Harmony, should Aguazul win next week against Slembana, so hopefully we might to well there with an improved ranking to go with.
The History of Modern NSSports internationalpost.apx (Newswire) The Apoxian Compendium
Winners: Campionato Esportiva IV, V & XVI, World T20 Championships VI, Imperial Chap Olympiad
Runners-up: CoH 58, World T20 Championships V, Campionato Esportiva XII
Third: Campionato Esportiva XIII
Fourth: Campionato Esportiva VII & XV
Baptism of Fire 50, Cup of Harmony 56, World Cup 69, World Cup 73, World Cup 82
Friendly Cups 2 & 6, World T20 Championships II, Campionato Esportiva IV, VIII, XII & XXIII, GCF Season 4, 8 & 10

Warkus
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 21, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Warkus » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:33 am

Ultimate Glory
Part XVII

"Got 'yer stuff packed?"

"Yeah, man. All ready."

"You sure? We don't want to be losing pillows here."

"I'm sure. It's been a pretty interesting run, hasn't it?"

"Yeah, I guess. Not exactly our best, but very interesting."

"Group 14 was a clusterfrig, and Baz Mat sure climbed the ranks."

"Hey, now, Group 14 still is a big deal. So's our group."

"I suppose, but you tend to lose interest in these things when you're not involved."

"Yeah, I see where you're coming from with that."

"We've got a new adventure coming up, though. Vos says we've been in contact with some CoH guys or something."

"I never understand their criteria. RP? They never explain what it is, and I can never find out..."

"You're right..."

"It's that voice again."

"I hear it too, damn."
Last edited by Warkus on Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Host of the 11th International Basketball Championship

High Heels
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby High Heels » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:33 am

ArcoSport
By Lubomir Spike

All of a sudden everyone wants to see us. There's been a healthy interest all along in mostly-unavailable tickets to our itty-bitty stadium on the 13th floor. But all of a sudden requests for media credentials have gone through the roof. The last round of results in Group 5 have created a doozy of a final set of matches.

FSSO are through comfortably, dominating the group as I daresay most expected. But the playoff spot is very much up for grabs. Three teams could nab it: Phoenigetuzstha and Free South Califas on 26 points each, and West Angola on 25. West Angola host Free South Califas this round. And we host Phoenigeuzstha, a squad that we lost to by one goal away in our earlier meeting. (Yes, I know we could have said that about FSSO shortly before they whomped up on us 5-0. Humor me.) So we could be spoilers, and certainly the media in the three concerned nations have great interest in our match.

By the way, we did win for the fourth time in qualifying, 2-1 away over Charruterra. Melody Mule scored twice for the Foxes, and only the concession of a late penalty broke up the clean sheet.

Thank you all for your responses to my call for a mixed national team. They're running about 55/45 in favor of a mixed eleven, with most of the rest favoring the current arrangement for its promotional value. That's a fair point, but winning teams are worth far more for publicity than novelties. And one other thing about novelties is that sooner or later they're not novel any more.

Kaisa Cuban chewed her lip. Nothing back from Jaded yet. I know, I know, we've both been busy. At least he'll understand busy, lots of guys haven't. Patience, girl. And she took up her pen and began to write . . .

From the journal of 20-year-old starting keeper Kaisa Cuban:

So why am I so concerned about this guy when we SO got off on the wrong foot, make that heel, like we did? Am I just tired of being lonely in a fishbowl? I'm around lots of guys, all the time. At school when I'm there, in the FĈB, traveling the world for the Champions' Cup and World Cup qualifying, there's lots of potential out there.

Why him?

Maybe if I focus on playing it'll help. We're way out of contention. But we have a chance to make ourselves heard one more time, yes we do. Then it's off to Charleston for one more Zion Financial match against Mapletish, after that who knows? Just play one match at a time. And when he calls, or doesn't, then take time to think about it all.
Champions of the 23rd Di Bradini Cup!
Second: Di Bradini Cup 22. Third: Baptism of Fire 49.
Quarterfinalists: Cup of Harmony 55.
Diagram of the Arcology

Sicoutimont
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sicoutimont » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:43 am

Songs from the World Cup

Hey dude, don't feel so sad
Just because we did not qualify
Remember that there is always next year,
Or maybe, the Cup of Harmony

Hey dude, don't feel so bad,
Giroux scored, lots of goals
In our group, there were some good teams,
We'll qualify next year

And any time you think Denis should be,
Fired, the team carried a nation, on its shoulders
For don't you know that we are only 108th
Not a very big player on the world stage

Hey dude, don't wait around
There is always, the Cup of Harmony,
But failing that, there is always next year
When we can try, to qualify

Na, na na na na na na, nana na na, Hey dude
Na, na na na na na na, nana na na, Hey dude
Na, na na na na na na , nana na na , Giroux scored
Na, na na na na na na , nana na na, Hey dude
Democratic Green Republic of Sicoutimont
Population: 110,500,000 | Capital: Lac-Drouin | Language: Sicoutian | Country Code: SIC

Under the wise leadership of Chairman Alphonse Pomeroy we will brighten our future!

Andossa Se Mitrin Vega
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Andossa Se Mitrin Vega » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:29 am

We all play this game of football because we truly love it. We live it. We breathe it. For what other reason would we trade the warm blankets of a soft bead for a bone chilling 5 am run? For what reason would we trade the dry comfort of a cheery living room for the rain soaked tortures of a foggy training pitch? For what other reason do we shift all else in our lives to the back burner? There is no other that can command our soul as this game does.

We live and die with every match. With every whistle. With every touch of the ball. The smell of the grass. The noise of the crowd. Even the burn of muscles pushed beyond their normal limits. These are the things we cherish. We desire. And yes, they are the things we cannot live without.

Our souls hold their breaths for weeks, even months at times, just to live for 90 minutes on some forgotten day the rest of the world sees as ordinary. Mundane. But we know the truth of things, for here in the world we live in these are the only days that have meaning. They are the only days that count towards our true existence. They are the only days that count for any worthwhile meaning in our lives. They are the only days that truly count as to why we simply are.

And then every once in a while events conspire to make that one day mean so much more it already is. Every once in a while we are privileged to be a part of something much more grand than even we can imagine. Call it a whim of Fate. A gift from the Gods. An alignment of stars. Call it whatever you wish, but we know the truth. It is that rare moment when the purity of the game spills out into our world in a very real and palpable manner. These are the moments we pray to take part in. To strive in. To be victorious in. These are the moments that define us as more than just footballers. These are the moments that chisel the very essence of Champions.

Today is one of those rare days. For reasons others would not understand, this is one of those days that one could wait a lifetime for and never find. You would look at this day and wonder why I give it such high standing. The only answer I could give is that would be why you sit in the stands while I take the pitch. You would say that a single match against Ko-oren is no special thing. In and of itself you would be right. But that is not all that has aligned to make this day such a wondrous one.

To understand the glory of this day one must understand that the match with Ko-oren is just the first of a linked trio of events that combine forces to create the glory of this day. This initial battle of strengths and wills simply will serve to set the stage for much, much more. Two other national teams await their turns in this moment. Geisenfried and The Archregimancy. Each faces the same challenge we have been handed - To prove their worth on the pitch. Three matches to be played with just one position at the top of the table to be assured inclusion onto World Cup 62. And just one spot below that where those who fail can seek redemption.

And that is why this day is so much more than the ones before it have been. That is why this day holds the purity of a Championship Moment. This is one of those days we truly live for. Today is where we can rise up and be more than just who we are. Today is the day we can fail in our efforts and watch our dreams crumble to ash and be carried off on the wind.

Now comes the time to give our souls to this moment and see where it will lead us.
Champions: AORBC II (Women's Champs); AOHC IV; Cup of Harmony 44, 49, & 54; Baptism of Iron VBrevity Challenge Cup 3
2nd Place: WC64
3rd Place: WC59; WC61WC65
WC Quarterfinals- 53,58,60
Qualified for WC Proper - 27,28,29,30,53,54,56,58,59,60,61,63,64,65
Host: Draggonnii Inviyatii; BoF 17 ; World Bowl XII; BoF43 (with K&P);World Cup 58 (with QPeMA)World Cup 61 (with Valanora)

AO is, as they say, THE PLACE.
Those of you whom we consider friends and respect here on NS are welcome to join us on FB. Simply TG me and We will set it in motion.

New Montreal States
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby New Montreal States » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:07 am

ED: The below was written before Ossidiacqua's most recent RP

Previous episodes of Fred Nguyen's attempt to become the best center midfielder in the multiverse:

1: Fred Nguyen Does Something Remarkable
2: Fred Nguyen Speaks at his First International Press Conference
New Montreal Presse-Journal Devoir: Nguyen scores, picks up assist as Paladins pick up vital 4-1 road win at Ossidiacqua
3: Fred Nguyen Discovers Social Media
VBC coverage of Paladins football: Nguyen scores, connects with Morand on free kick in 2-0 bounceback win against Audioslavia.
4. Fred Nguyen Sells Out

5. Now the story of a wealthy midfielder who wanted shwarma, and the one fan who had no choice but to ruin it for him. It's Fred Nguyen.

Gilbert Desrosiers did not ask for much, and did not get it. He was the morning manager at a donut shop along The Boulevard in the gritty, blue-collar suburb of Westmount. By day he served fried batter to sullen factory workers grumbling their way to the pig iron mills and eighteen-wheeler parts factories and assembly lines whose smokestacks dominated the faubourg.1 In the evening he came home, lit up a bong and watched sports. He watched NM Patriotes make their way to the playoffs year in and year out; he watched famed New Antioch Emeralds center fielder Réné Chenier hit 40 home runs, steal 40 bases and rob opponents of a half-dozen home runs every year five years in a row, and now he was watching the Paladins round into the homestretch near the top of the group. Ossidiacqua was visiting New Montreal tonight; Desrosiers would be at his lucky barstool down at The Brass Rail two blocks down from his house. But around lunchtime he'd been a great distance from Westmount, eating with an old friend from high school who he hadn't heard from in well over a decade. They had gone down vastly different paths since graduating, though, and the differences in wealth and social standing had made lunch a very awkward affair. For Desrosiers it had also been much, much more than he personally cared to pay for lunch. He walked down Avenue Laviolette towards the Métro very quickly, just wanting to get back to his apartment, lie down on the couch, let his mind drift towards the game and let the healing from this morning's fiasco begin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both the Paladins and the Philemon Mariners continually bombarded Fred Nguyen with healthy eating information. Both organizations employed nutritionists, who regularly issued pamphlets of "recommended" recipes and color printouts of the latest discoveries in nutritional science to the players in their charge. One of the "fixers" employed by the Mariners to help the players take care of business in an unfamiliar city had a list of available "health-oriented" personal chefs ready for any player who was willing to shell out for one. Nguyen had never gone that far, but he took the nutritionists' advice 166 hours per week.

Smart people reading this immediately wondered what he did with the other two hours of the week. Those two hours, paradoxically on the mornings right before his matchdays, were spent downing a plate of beef shwarma and onion rings at Ephraim's (Ephraim Mansour, proprietor) on Avenue Laviolette not too far from where Nguyen had grown up. At age 16, Fred Nguyen had ordered shwarma and onion rings from Ephraim's, and then gone out and scored a hat trick for his high school team. Ever since that weekend, Nguyen had come back for more before every single match he's played where he's been in New Montreal and had the free time to make the trek over. Today, he brought Sam Flowers, who's slowly replacing Donald Taylor at RMF, with him to get some delicious, delicious shwarma.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nguyen and Flowers walk into the restaurant and are promptly greeted by Ephraim Mansour, the proprietor. One of Mansour's employees rings them up while Mansour begins slicing off chunks of shwarma and slathers a pair of sesame-seed rolls with spicy hummus.

Desrosiers, walking down Avenue Laviolette, catches a glimpse of two young, extremely fit men ducking into a shwarma shop. Prompted by the odor of spiced meat slowly cooking on a rotisserie, Desrosiers peeks into the show window and notices that the two men looking vague familiar.

Ngyuen and Flowers lean along the mostly empty counter of Ephraim's restautant. Ephraim is recounting the stories he's heard about alleged assassination attempts on one of Ossidiacqua's assistant coaches.

Desrosiers abruptly pivots ninety degrees, turning off the sidewalk and barging into the restaurant. Nobody notices until he walks right past the cashier and starts wheedling Nguyen for an autograph. Nguyen is surprised and doesn't know what to say; Desrosiers takes it the wrong way and assumes that Nguyen is too big to give him the time of day. A scene ensues. People on the street start staring, and some of them recognize Fred and Sam. Ephraim hustles them out the back of his restaurant and into a restaurant-supply truck driven by his cousin Boutros. By the time they arrive at the stadium, their shwarmas are cold and their clothes smelled like mediterranean cuisine. Fred wondered if he'd ever be able to have lunch there again.

The crazy rumors Ephraim had told him about that airship full of Ossidiacquan assassins really hit home with Fred Nguyen after the incident. He felt that he, too, was going to spend the rest of his life surrounded by strangers in blimps following him intently from a distance. The only difference: being incessantly surrounded by cameras would only make Fred wish he was was dead.

1If you think that sounds bad, try walking outside at night in Outremont.
WBC 26 champions!
4th place finishers, World Cup 11; 2nd place finishers World Cup 31; Cup of Harmony 53 winners
Co-hosts of World Cup 28 and Cup of Harmony 16 with The Archregimancy; co-hosts of World Cup 64 and Cup of Harmony 54 with Wight; co-hosts of Cup of Harmony 50 with Vilita

Aguazul
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 06, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Aguazul » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:53 am

(OOC to Hrrick's Bar people: do people want Oliva to be killed off in a Strasser role, or am I just as well having him leave eventually? Also, does someone want to use Coke, either have him make a revolutionary scene and get defenestrated for his troubles, or decide there are more important uses of his time and leave to support someone else's radical cause? Let me know by TG...it might not all play out for a while yet, but then again, I might be wrapping up my series soon.)

Coke and Claudia had reconciled, to a point, though the air was still tense between them. Metaphorically speaking. Literally, Coke had skipped the bar for a change, muttering something about "other business" that a certain part of Claudia was only too happy to let him get on with.

So she watched the TV, waiting for the highlights of Aguazul versus Legalese. They were announced with a somewhat low quality graphic display and jingle, just as every other highlight reel did on the channel, and, for a change, a belch.

Mayor Oliva was a large man, who had put several drinks away without ill effect. Well, sort of. He could be belligerent and uninhibited while he was drinking. It just wasn't clear whether that was a consequence of alcohol or a consequence of "working in Aguazul's military."

"Here we go," he drooled, as the clips began.

"A high scoring game," said the announcer with a straight face (in whatever language the channel displayed), "in keeping with Legalese's attacking tendencies."

But it was Aguazul's attacking tendencies which controlled the first half. Juan Mario Pedroso scored on a chip shot, and then Merlín Salomón passed to Ramón Galindo for another goal. When Legalese got anything together, which wasn't often, Aguazul's defense took their time, not immediately smothering the attack but carefully retaking control.

Then, a blip of the pixels later, into the second half with no time to worry about momentum being lost. And of course, it had. Monte Kelshimer wove through the midfield, picking his way past Celia Rimoldi and then sending off a long shot to get the visitors on the scoreboard. Jimmy Jay, who had been sluggish early on, kept his cool, and dropped back to play alongside Garry Maharry. But when Gascon Amatrian threatened to trap Kelvin Bassford offsides, the latter immediately backpedaled, sending a short pass to Jay, who converted it to equalize.

Oliva made a fist as if to punch the bar in disgust, but as he was lowering it, saw the demerits of such an approach, and quickly grabbed his drink with his other hand so that it wouldn't spill, then quaffed a large gulp of it before replacing it.

Then suddenly the screen was showing Marianela Anaya, who hadn't been in the game for that long, but the substitution hadn't been important enough to show. It was zoomed in too far to get a sense of Aguazul's worried pace, but that didn't matter. She passed to Benavides, who cut past Phil Livingston, and scored.

Three to two. Nothing more to show, but just in case, they put up a final score graphic anyway.

Oliva exhaled. "Wow! I'll forgive him any amount of ranting at the ball, for that."

"And Anaya?" Claudia heard herself ask. In Spanish, of course.

Oliva glanced down at her. "Brilliant pass, that was."

"Right. But you don't...I'd heard rumors about her, is all."

"What kind?"

"Blén have been...dealing with weird bandwagon hoppers, right? Hard to get the news all the way out here."

Oliva nodded. "What're you doing here to begin with?"

"Took a detour on the way between some of the fifth division routes. Blackacre's quite a distance from the...territories west of Aguazul proper, this isn't a bad place to stop over once in a while."

"Yeah. Well. They say Anaya's just pandering to the new crowd, trying to speak in codes so that their commie fans will have something to cheer."

"But you don't think so?"

"No. She's just a footballer, she's not bright enough to come up with some secret code, the government would crack it."

"You think they're competent enough to do whatever they set out to do?" Claudia tightened the grip on her glass. Maybe she had been drinking too much.

"Course they are! What's wrong with you?"

"Well, besides the obvious," she shrugged, gesturing down at the wheelchair.

"Huh?" he said, taking another swig and finishing his glass.

"Nothing, just, trying to lighten the mood."

"It's all right," he said. "Aguazul won, we're still in contention. That's what matters now, huh?"

"Yeah," she said. "I...Anaya just got me thinking, is all. I played center midfield, you know, before the accident."

"Did you?"

"In the midfield, number seven, Claudia Hernaaaaandez," she said quietly. "I was...mixed family, in Blackacre I mean, I didn't have that double surname thing or a second given name or anything too exciting like that. But I could...I could daydream, what the announcers would say, that much."

"We've all been there."
La República del Aguazul

Astograth: Epée
Astograth: No idea where the tilde goes there
Val|WI: accent
Astograth: Tilde.
Val|WI: Tilde is this one: ~
Astograth: That's squiggly line

Akbarabad
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Akbarabad » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:27 am

Tiger Eaters still on course to qualify despite shock defeat.

(Akbarabad Press, AP): An entirely unexpected 3-1 away loss to unheralded, already eliminated 19th Century Beards has cut down Akbarabad's lead at the top over the Bumblebees to just a scant point with a game to go. While it would be an unprecedented choke, to lose out on an automatic spot from this position, it still seems like an unlikely proposition for now.

This is partly due tour respective opponents for the last round. While the Bumblebees face third place and yet to be eliminated Iturributa, who they have already failed to beat before, the Tiger Eaters have the much easier task of hosting bottom side Swyftlandre. While victory would confirm qualification for the Tiger Eaters, we can also qualify automatically if TBI stumble badly in their game. We shouldn't need them to tumble however, as quite frankly beating a team like Swyftlandre at home is well within our powers and should not present much of a challenge at all.

Boring Paradise
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 01, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Boring Paradise » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:31 am

Paradisian Cup
After MD13 Fare Well

Group 16
The Sylvanaes Queendom (7) MD1 (H) 4-2
Stachland (45) MD2 (A) 3-1
Osarius (57) MD3 (H) 1-3
Gaveo (306) MD4 (A) 0-2
Leorudo (141) MD5 (H) 1-4
Earo (252) MD6 (A) 1-3
Kaldorium (332) MD7 (H) 0-4

The Sylvanaes Queendom (7) MD8 (A) 5-0
Stachland (45) MD9 (H) 6-1
Osarius (57) MD10 (A) 3-0
Gaveo (306) MD11 (H) 0-2
Leorudo (141) MD12 (A) 0-1
Earo (252) MD13 (H) 0-1
Kaldorium (332) MD14 (A)

Post Qual: Free South Califas (A) and Sicoutimont (H)

Group 16 Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
1 The Sylvanaes Queendom 13 11 0 2 34 15 19 33
2 Osarius 13 10 0 3 28 16 12 30
3 Stachland 13 8 2 3 40 15 25 26
4 Boring Paradise 13 8 0 5 24 24 0 24
5 Earo 13 4 3 6 13 20 -7 15
6 Leorudo 13 4 2 7 15 17 -2 14
7 Kaldorium 13 1 3 9 10 32 -22 6
8 Gaveo 13 1 0 12 10 35 -25 3

Goal Scorers with Friendlies:
Raiyaan Malik - 14
Sameer Jamkim - 12
Hishaam Ali - 6
Robbie Patterson - 2
Kevin Harris - 1

Good Bye to Boring Paradise's 12 year old team, having no chance to reach the play-off. It is a fare well to any of our chances. The best now is to get third where Stachland will need to lose and us to win our next match to overtake Stachland. The best we can officially do is getting into Cup of Harmony for a first time. Raiyaan Malik has kept the team together and scored 14 goals and then Sameer Jaklim scoring 12 goals.
The Paradisian Empire contains the Center, Boring Paradise, and the loyal countries that have sworn allegiance.

Best Places
U-15 World Cup 7 Runners-Up
WWISC 2 Runners Up
U-15 Chamionship (3rd Place)
Friendly Cup X (3rd Place)
Hosted
Internation FireStorm Cup II,III
Friendly Cup X

Karditan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Karditan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:39 am

Havr slowly pulled to a stop outside his grandmother's house. The gate to the driveway was manually operated, so he had to get out and jiggle the old, rusty lock open. The old metal hinges squealed in protest as he slowly pushed the open, one side at a time, trying to remember the last time he had a tetanus shot. Some dark clouds had started to gather overhead. Unlike in the City, where a could of smog kept almost all other weather at bay, out here in the suburbs dark clouds signified what they meant to the rest of the world; rain.

"The day I forget my umbrella." Havr sighed and kicked the right gate one last time to get it all the way open. "Of course." He hopped back into the car and began to maneuvre it in. Easier said than done with the boat of a Bruk his grandmother owned; it didn't help that the road she lived on was rather narrow. He had to flip into reverse a few times just so the door doesn't scrape along the gate. Another motorist drove up while he was still only halfway to the proper orientation. Thankfully, the driver was a patient young woman who apparently understood his plight. Unfortunately, the guy who drove up behind her was not as patient.

*HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK* "MOVE IT, YA GODDAMN IDIOT!" It didn't help the third driver's mood when a motorcyclist rounded all of them and kept going. "OH, YOU THINK YOU'RE SO HOT, DON'T YA? WHY DON'T YA GET A CAR LIKE A REAL MAN!?"

The young woman had apparently had enough of this man. She rolled down her window and yelled, "WHY DON'T YOU SHUT THE HELL UP, ASSHOLE? WE GOT PLACES TO BE, TOO, YA KNOW. GET YOUR HEAD OUTTA YOUR ASS AND WAIT A FUCKING MINUTE."

The third driver reluctantly rolled up his window and harumphed as he settled back into his seat. Havr's grandmother turned to him. "I like her."

"Almost done..." Havr gave the wheel one last twist and the Bruk was suddenly quite well situated on the driveway. He pulled a little further in and gave his grandmother a kiss goodbye. The other drivers continued on their way, none of them likely to ever see each other again. The drizzle started to fall after his grandmother had gone inside and he was yanking the gate closed. If he thought the hinges whined opening the door, this was beyond comprehension. The old man who lived across the road opened his front door ready to angrily swing around his cane, but calmed when he noticed it was just Havr helping out Ulra. They exchanged pleasantries for a minute before the old man returned to his chowder. Havr finished locking the gate and went around to the back yard to retrieve his car. The engine sputtered to life after a few attempts (it doesn't like water). The rain intensified as he pulled onto the road and he had trouble keeping above 15mph, which is probably for the best when considering the weather and the poor state of the roadway. The bits and pieces of green that spotted the Moscolt suburbs slowly gave way to the cement jungle as he drove on and on, the modest houses of kind old ladies turning to small, dank and decaying apartment buildings inhabited by lowlifes and thugs. Havr fell into a bit of a driving daze, steering a course through roads he had walked his entire life and hypnotized by the rhythmic beat of the rain on the roof. He was snapped out of it by gunshots. Now, gunshots are not exactly a rare sound in any part of Moscolt and are usually nothing to worry about unless they are particularly close. Havr immediately spotted the flashes going off down the very road he had subconsiously turned onto.

"Shit. That sounds like Hazmaks. Only Korzado's thugs use those." Hazmaks were a kind of submachinegun heavily associated with mafia activity, trademarked by the distinctive rumble their momentum-driven firing mechanism makes. Havr swereved into a nearby alley, relying on the other advantage of his lemon: it breaks incredibly well, even in rain. He reached to the backseat for his Kintakov, a high-capacity accuracy-oriented semi-automatic battle rifle. He swung around the corner of the building, keeping low and hiding behind a stairway that bridged a front door to the sidewalk. Peeking over, he could spot the flashing of police lights in the distance accompanied by the flashes of what appeared to be handguns. "Damn. Shootout with the police. The cops are screwed." He clicked the safety off and rested the rifle on the handle of the stairwell, taking aim at the dark figures, trying his best to ignore the rain.
Champions: -n/a-
Runner-up: BoF 46; WBXX
Qualified for WC63
Hosted: WBXX; WBXL
<Audio> I'm singling out Karditan for reasons that should be fucking obvious after the past twelve months
<Karditan> Sssshh, some people haven't caught onto our man love, Audio.
<Audio> I'm drunk, I'll express my manlove for whomever I damned well please
<Karditan> And now, for a stirring rendition of the Equestrian States national anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmVWvOC_2HU
<Audio> why did I even click on that?
<Nephara> why did I expect that to be
<Audio> what was I expecting?
<Nephara> anything other than it was
Nephara clears internet history

West Angola
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby West Angola » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:47 am

Following the upset draw by Union Isle, the team returned to Namibe, their qualifying hopes all but gone. Phillip Garren spoke to no one save for a short post-match speech in which he reminded the team that anything could happen on the road and they were still going to the Cup of Harmony, and had gone straight up to his room and locked the door after they arrived at the team hotel. King Parrish had traveled to Union Isle with the team, and had observed Garren throughout. He had seen the depths of despair his friend was in, even worse than he’d looked after the car accident had cut his career short. They needed to talk, and Parrish had gone up to the room despite the advice of the team, who had all told him to leave Phillip alone and let him cool off a little first.

Now, standing in front of the door, Parrish hesitated. He’d never seen Garren well and truly angry, but sometimes the people who were like that were the worst. A tense internal struggle took place before friendship won out, and Parrish knocked lightly, “Phillip?”

“Go away. I’m busy.”

“Phil, you’ve got to let me in. We need to talk, and you can’t shut everyone out again.”

“Why not? It worked before, I’m completely happy alone, no friends to betray me, coaches to get killed, or women to torture me.”

“What?”

“Never mind. Go away; I’m not really presentable right now.”

“Phil, we’ve been friends for a long time, you need to let me in. If you shut me and everyone else out, you’ll spiral back down the way you did before. C’mon Phil, let me in.”

There was a pause, then Garrenn replied, “Door’s open.”

Parrish turned the knob, and walked into the worst scene of devastation he’d seen since Benguela. Pictures were smashed, lamps had been thrown against the wall, the bathroom door was off its hinges and halfway across the room, the air conditioning unit had a large dent in it, and several holes were scattered around the wall. Stepping gingerly over what had once been a telephone, Parrish saw Garren sitting on the bed, staring at the floor with a trophy in his hands. Parrish recognized it, it was the West Angolan Victory League trophy the two of them had won the year before Baptism of Fire 45. Walking over, he took the trophy from Garren’s limp hand and tilted his face up, “You okay?”

“Not really. I know we could have won that game, and the one before it. It was my fault, my stupid stupid fault-“

“Stop it. You always want to blame yourself for everything, but not this time. Larssen missed shots, he’ll tell you that if you ask him, and McDaniels and Thorpe nullified a couple of goals by being offsides. You guys are a team Phil, and you win and lose as such. It is not completely your fault, understand?”

Garren nodded, and Parrish smiled. “Good, have you eaten anything?”

“No, I thought of calling room service, but you saw what I did to the phone.”

“Alright, let’s go, I know a great little restaurant about a mile from here. Good food and no questions.”

“Sounds perfect.” Parrish and Garren got up and headed to the restaurant, which did indeed have excellent food. No one questioned why the king and the head coach of the football team were eating dinner without the security personnel that usually accompanied them, and the two enjoyed a rare peaceful meal.

While they were eating, Parrish asked Garren about what he'd said earlier. "What did you mean about 'women tormenting you?'"

"I was talking about Margaret."

"Margaret?"

"The Goddess of Random Numbers. She started appearing in my dreams during World Cup 59, and she's never gone away. She dangled qualification in front of me during World Cup 60, then snatched it away through Licentiapacisterra. I haven't gotten a good night's sleep since you were elected."

Garren told Luke about his midnight hauntings, and seemed to grow more calm as he spoke. Parrish was glad of this, it meant Garren was maybe ready to open up to others again, better than the touch-and-go moments of depression in the hotel room. When they had both finished their meals, Parrish paid the bill and the two caught a taxi back to the hotel.

Wishing to conceal their identities, Parrish asked the driver to drop them off a block from the hotel, and the two walked the rest of the way. As they walked, Parrish grilled Garren about their qualifying chances.

"Do we even have a shot?"

"Not really, we need Phoenigetuzstha to lose to High Heels, which won't likely happen, and we need to beat Free South Califas, which is more likely. A win over FSC would leave us in at least third, which will keep up from getting hammered when the new rankings come out."

"I see, well that's always... Phillip look!"

They had reached the team hotel. Garren looked up and thought his heart was going to stop.

The hotel was burning.
Economic Left/Right: -4.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.95
Fourth Place: Cup of Harmony 59; Runner-Up: Cup of Harmony 55; Champion: Cup of Harmony 57

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:21 am

Wight wrote:
Scene Twelve
CASANEGRO

The Norwegian Blue Café, Marroq, Coalition-Occupied Barbary Salé. The owner Signor Alfa-Romeo, a large, jovial and dapper fellow in white linens and a local fashion favourite, the red fez, is waiting for his friend Hrrick. The bar is crowded with a less affluent clientele than you would expect to find at the Café Ursien, poorer foreigners and refugees mixing with a number of the local retired or fugitive corsairs – a rough crowd, kept on impeccable behaviour by the charm of the owner. Licentian rebels who've run up tabs too big to cope with at Hrrick's come here, along with Tryiennite waifs and strays who claim to be in search of the World Cup and have found themselves lost because 'nobody told them the way'. Music rings out, local berber exotica, frenetic wind instruments and percussions, not quite the urbane style of Serm and his sultry piano riffs.

Inscrutable Hrrick enters the café and greets Alfa-Romeo at his table.

“Unfortunate about that chap Garter, Hrrick – a friend of yours, wasn't he?”

“Hhrrrm, not so much.”

“They got him at the hospital, so they're saying in the souqs. He left behind quite a prize, they tell me.”

“Maybeso. How's business at the Norwegian Blue?”

Alfa-Romeo smiles as Hrrick changes the subject. “Fine, but I want to buy your bar, Hrrick.”

“It's not for sale.”

“Haven't heard my offer.”

“It's not for sale at any price.”

“What do you want for Serm?”

“Hrrrm. I don't buy or sell Bears.”

“Too bad, that's Marroq's leading commodity. In refugees alone, we can make a fortune. Suppose you work with me through the black market?”

Hrrick stands, the business concluded. “Suppose you hrrrun your business and let me hrrrun mine.”

“My dear Hrrick when will you realise that in this multiverse today isolationism is no longer a practical policy?”

Hrrick keeps a wary eye on his surroundings as he walks away from the 'Norwegian Blue'. He isn't entirely sure that he'd trust Alfa-Romeo not to have a back-up plan for obtaining the Café Ursien that, despite the fellow's show of friendliness, could be bad for Hrrick's own health... and Marroq has long been a city where "life is cheap, and death is cheaper"...

(Meanwhile, elsewhere in the city _ )

In a narrow street about half a mile from Hrrick’s place, Lieutenant Deux-Chevaux and some of his men (who are carrying their rifles un-slung) turn the corner from a side-road and block the path of the tourist[?] who had been talking to Viktor earlier. The man turns to look behind him, and sees two more policemen step out from an alleyway, cutting off any potential line of retreat in that direction that he might have been considering.

“Your papers, m’sieur?” requests Deux-Chevaux.

“Usually the International Herald-Sentinel, but sometimes the New Amsterdam Times instead’: Why?” He sees that Deux-Chevaux is not only not amused by this deliberate misunderstanding but is un-snapping the cover of his pistol’s holster. With a sigh, and moving slowly in the hope that this will be safer than faster action as it should be less likely for anybody else to think that he’s going for a gun to try shooting his way out of the confrontation, the man carefully pulls back the lapels of his jacket and withdraws his passport which he hands to the lieutenant.
“Oh, you mean these papers?”

“Thank you, m’seur.”
Deux-Chevaux leafs through the booklet, copying the main details into his notebook and mentioning the points that seem most important to him out loud as he does so.
“M’seur Burger, names christian are ‘James’ and ‘Wellington’…
“Citizen of
Transoceana
“Occupation: Charity Worker…
“Visas for entry into… lots of different nations, several of which have quite recently had wars or internal disputes in progress. Not the case for the country that you stopped off in for a few days on your way here, British Minorca, though.
“Purpose of visit here: Tourism.
“H’mm. Very well, Mr Burger, you can continue on your way.”

Deux-Chevaux hands back the passport, and then leads his men around the tourist and along the street in the direction of the Coalition forces’ main headquarters. As they pass another alleyway one of the policemen calls out in surprise and brings his rifle to his shoulder ready to fire, but then halts.
“They’ve gone.”

“Who?”

“Reffs, sir, three of them, right here in the city: They were lurking as though they meant to attack, but they all ran off when they saw me ready to fight.”

“I see. Well, not much chance of us alone catching them in that maze of alleys.”
Deux-Chevaux takes a rather anachronistic-looking cellphone from a pouch on his belt, and makes a call. Within minutes trucks of armed police are heading out from their barracks, some to join the lieutenant’s patrol but most to other parts of the city instead, with the Commandant’s orders ringing in their ears:

“ Round up the usual suspects!”

OOC
The courier from another Resistance group who spoke with Victor Lazlo in Casablanca was called ‘Berger’.
Can any of you correctly identify my reason for giving 'Burger' the forenames 'James Wellington'?
The charity for which ‘Burger’ works here is ‘Missions of Mercy’ (‘MoM’), the same one that’s flying supplies to the Reffs in Armed Bears’ RP.
Transoceana is a British dominion occupying large parts of North America in a timeline where the American Revolution never took place. It trades extensively with Godwinnia (the first nation that I created, my original ‘main nation’) and St Edmund (the latter’s first ‘NS-UN puppet’.)
British Minorca is another of my old puppets, from the same timeline as Transoceana. How many of you already knew that Minorca was actually a British colony for parts of the 18th century AD in RL?
Last edited by Bears Armed on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Wight
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2011
New York Times Democracy

WC-62 MD-13

Postby Wight » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:24 am

Last edited by Wight on Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
::: WIGHT :::
BECAUSE REASONS

New Montreal States
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Montreal States » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:31 am

MULTIPLE DEATHS DARKEN NMS QUALIFICATION

Grossly incompetent assassins put a damper on dominant NMS return to the Finals

NEW MONTREAL - The on-field death of Alessio Cardinale during last night's match from what the New Montreal Coroner has pronounced to be "cardiac arrest, induced by a poisoned crossbow bolt," was an extraordinary tragedy.

It was not, however, the most extraordinary thing about the match.

With play on the field stopped as the medics tried unsuccessfully to revive Cardinale and players and coaches from both nations tried to come to terms with what had just happened, New Montreal police and NMS Military Police units briefly locked down the Paladin Dome and began hunting for the crossbow-wielding assassin. Sgts. Réné Chenier and Julien Baker asked a concourse food vendor if she had seen anyone suspicious go by. Chenier and Baker became suspicious when the man identified himself as "Tomaso" despite wearing a nametag with the caption "Hi, I'm Steve!" Baker then noticed a crossbow-shaped bulge under the back of the man's workshirt, at which point the man ducked under the counter. He was quickly tackled and subdued by the two officers; Steve Weatherspoon, the employee responsible for that particular food stand, was found behind the food stand unconscious and without his workshirt.

While Chenier and Baker were marching "Tomaso" down the concourse, the prisoner was struck by another crossbow bolt and collapsed into the arms of the arresting officers while the fans on the concourse either hit the floor or started running away in a panic. As the runners got further away from the scene, a terrified silence fell on the people left; a silence that was eventually broken by what witnesses described as "an unbelievably loud and long fart" lasting almost thirty seconds and originating from a large trash can next to a passage leading back to the stands. As Chenier and Baker converged on the trash can, service weapons out, the second assassin leapt out of the trash can and sprinted for the stairs to ground level. The assassin made good time all the way back down to the ground, only to trip over a bootlace that had come undone during his dash down the stairs and go tumbling down the last few stairs. Adrenaline put the assassin back on his feet for a few seconds, only for his left knee to complete give way under him and send him crashing back to the concrete floor. As police were closing in, a third assassin emerged from a nearby men's room, shouted "Sorry, bro!" and jammed a knife into the heart of his hobbled comrade. He then made his way through the turnstiles and out in the Paladin Dome parking lots. By this point, however, the Dome was surrounded by police, who surrounded and subdued the third assassin.

As they were dragging the third assassin into the back of a police van, he too was hit in his chest by a crossbow bolt. Police quickly spotted the fourth assassin, who was firing from the back of a pickup truck being driving by an accomplice. That accomplice quickly took off, but was driving a manual transmission for the first time and failed to brake properly, stalling his truck and sending it spinning into the path of an incoming SWAT truck. Both the crossbowman and the driver were killed on impact.

In a statement to the press, New Montreal Police Commissioner Luc Bédard said "we'll let you know just what the hell happened right after we figure it out for ourselves." All the bodies have been taken into police custody. Cardinale's body was send back to his family after the coroner's examination. Commissioner Bédard also encouraged his Ossidiacquan counterparts to get in contact with him immediately, for a joint investigation of Cardinale's murder.
WBC 26 champions!
4th place finishers, World Cup 11; 2nd place finishers World Cup 31; Cup of Harmony 53 winners
Co-hosts of World Cup 28 and Cup of Harmony 16 with The Archregimancy; co-hosts of World Cup 64 and Cup of Harmony 54 with Wight; co-hosts of Cup of Harmony 50 with Vilita

Antoletia
Envoy

Founded: Nov 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Antoletia » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:39 pm

Albastru City Gazette

Everyone knew that it was a long shot for the Ants to come back and once again have a half that put them in second place in the Group. Things looked even bleaker after three losses in a row to start the second half, and a tie in their most recent game put Cassadaigua 1 point to many ahead of the Ants. A win against the Sanian Confederacy would have kept them in it, but in the end it was futile to think anyone would help them on the final matchday to pass Cassadaigua and a quick and painless death is much better than a long drawn out punch to the heart. The Ants once again got close, but the cigar was just out of their reach.

The two games to get to the final matchday suggested a fire in the Ants, but in the end the flames died out as they could not back up a home win, tieing at the Sanian Confederacy for the second time in the teams history. Two goals away would not be up. The week before the Ants valiantly defeated Yelvodia 3-1, with the only opposition goal being a late garbage time goal, well after the teams had basically fully decided the day.
World Cup Qualifications - World Cup 58, World Cup 66, World Cup 67, World Cup 69 (Quarter-Finals)

The Babbage Islands
Senator

Founded: Mar 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Babbage Islands » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:40 pm

Captain Donald Robert Wild, OB, BCG (Ret.)

I'm back. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

The kind people at Jane Valentine LLC have offered a joint platform to a number of their published authors and essayists, among whom I have long enjoyed being numbered, in hopes of establishing an electronic centre synergised with their book and magazine trades and ultimately competing with other grid content providers like Chronowire and Grokworks.

Fancy verbiage aside, I'm their sport guy.

It's been a while since I've written regularly about sport, going back to the days of the widely-circulated Th3 Big Thr33 with Tad McKnight and Phyllis Reeves, now Phyllis Babcock. Here I write alone, although we'll all be asked to do speciality coordination from time to time. Save for coordinated projects I have free rein to sample the world of sport, much as Tad and Phyl and I once did.

And sample I will. Although the association football World Cup qualifying has reached a critical stage, with our Bumblebees in a position to be anything from auto-qualified to out on their behinds after the next match, I expect to talk of many sports. The national korfball team, for instance, are into the finals of a major international event in Shadowbourne. And our cricketers are newly-crowned world T20 champions after an impressive run in Apox. Grand Prix auto racing will return to our shores late in the season, and I do look forward to returning to a certain oddly-named tower-nation surrounded by Paripana for more of my beloved modern pentathlon.

But today the story is the football Bumblebees, 9-3-1 after 13 of 14 qualifying rounds and just one point behind Akbarabad after the latter were shockingly defeated in round 13. Yet Iturributa stand three points back of our athletes, and we play them in Cardston after having drawn our earlier matchup. Inveterate scenario lovers will drool over the possibilities.

Should the Bumblebees win, they autoqualify if the Tiger Eaters lose or draw. This is not expected, as Akbarabad face a bottom side. More likely we win, they win, and we face a one-game play-in to make the World Cup field. A Babbage draw leads to the same results, save that a Tiger Eater draw sees them autoqualify. Should we draw and they lose, we wind up on equal points and autoqualify based on tiebreak.

But if we lose we are out of the World Cup for the first time in 35 years, as we will then be on equal points with Iturributa and thanks to the earlier draw they will win the head-to-head tiebreak.

It's the most hazardous situation in team sport, needing only a draw to advance but where a loss is catastrophic. The tendency is to play not to lose . . . but that is losing play.

Fortunately, neither Arna-Maggra o Wirrenne nor Ava Gillespie will have truck with that nonsense. Still better is the news from Camwood, where the 3-1 Bumblebees win showed a squad finally playing up to their rank of fourth in the world. Coll Brodie's free kick to Courtney Keisler for the first goal was a prime example of set piece execution. Noemi Alba's spectacular sliding tackle, ball recovery, and outlet pass to a streaking Emily Howell for goal number two was the play of the night, unless you give that honour to Kaitlyn Miller's rejection of a Camwood penalty kick to keep the match at two-nil. And that was the first half. Valentine Armstrong added a third goal in the last forty-five, and Saturnino nonetheless emerged as man of the match on a night when the whole squad sparkled.

If this eleven show up to the U.F.O., they'll emerge with no worse than a play-in to make the Cup and might with (a lot of!) help auto-qualify. But if the squad that played Lewisland take the pitch instead there could be long faces all round the islands afterward. Iturributa are not to be taken lightly.

My feeling is that these battle-tested Bees will be formidable indeed in the Cup. Either Cup. And they should have 60 million or so Babbagians behind them in their quest for the bigger show.
Last edited by The Babbage Islands on Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NS World Cup: Runner-up 55/59; Third place 50/52/58/62/63; Host 49/54/60.
Founding member, Global Cricket Federation; 2x Twenty20 world champions.
FactbookRedballer scorinator for test cricket
Community football scorinator and CFC v2.1 (rules)

Taeshan
Senator

Founded: Aug 11, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Taeshan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:57 pm

X Island Inquirer

And then there was one. One final obstacle keeping the Purple Knights of Taeshan from a playoff. One final game against Baz Mat, one final chance for them to be surpassed by the upstart Khytenna team. One final bullet to ring around the world. The would be giant killers arrive for the game in only a days time. The brand new stadium in Mt Ceabring is ready. The Staircase to Heaven will host its first game, and its the biggest game of the year for the Knights. A win, or a tie and they have a playoff for the World Cup. A chance at glory once again. They in the new stadium the clouds look to be of god himself, glory in god in highest. The Knights may very well become Gods if they qualify to this world cup. They are already heroes among men. They may become legends if they qualifying once again.

First though they have to get through this final game, and as we all know a one of playoff is no gimme. Twice in the past the Knights have managed to win playoffs after qualifiers. A stunning victory over a much better Civil Citizenry national team saw them through to World Cup 59. They qualified through to World Cup 61 with a stunning victory over Yesopalitha last go round. Now the Knights must prepare once again for the sports greatest equalizer. 90 minutes, with everything to play for. 90 minutes to decide the fate of not only themselves, but a whole people who believe in them. A whole people that have taken on soccer recently more than a fire takes on wood. A blind draw will be made after the final matchday. Unseeded which could hurt the Knights as a possible higher seed.

Very intriguing matchups could be had in the playoffs, for the Knights and for many others. They could see Cassadaigua, a team they stunned in the last World Cup finals, former world Champions in the form of Aguazul, they could also face their familiar foes in fellow men of the purple, Starblaydia, they could very well see their final groupmate from the finals Pasarga, or the team they helped lock out of qualifying a year ago in Sagossa. And they could also see great rivals Jeruselem in a game that would mean more than many of their meetings throughout history. In the end a lot of good games will decide the fates of many teams, a lot of good matchups will be seen in the coming months, and in the end the best will win. Hopefully the Knights are among the best.
Champions - Copa Rushmori 22, Cup of Harmony 35, Di Bradini Cup 19, World Baseball Classic 13, Gridiron World Championships (World Bowl 0), World Bowl 34, World Lacrosse Championship 2

World Cup Qualifications-41, 44, 46, 59, 61(RoS), 62(Quarterfinals), 63 (RoS), 64 (Quarterfinals), 83, 84 (RoS), 85, 87

Hosts-Cup of Harmony 55, Copa Rushmori 14, Sporting World Cup 10,
Quidditch World Cup 10, World Cup of Hockey 41, World Cup 87

Falconwhereveryouare
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Falconwhereveryouare » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:04 pm

The Eagle's Eye
Now with fact-checkers!
SPORTS
¡Ay, Caramba!

By Otis Birmingham

Now that is how it's done. Away at a higher ranked team? No need to panic. No need to desperately go for goals or desperately focus on defense. Just find your opponent's weakest point, and blast it to pieces. But I'm getting ahead of myself. The important thing is the win over Western Cuba puts us just one point behind Cosumar in the standings, in an uneasy third. It's practically impossible for us to swipe the playoff spot, as it would require Cosumar dropping points to Bordurian; not exceedinly likely. Especially since the Cosumarans just barely missed out on stealing points from The Holy Empire, losing by the impressive score of 5-4 AND Bordurian lost to Cevalo Nacio, letting the ponies leap out of the basement of the group. Even if we're likely not to pass Cosumar, the last matchday is still paramount: we have a chance at revenge against the Arcadian Islands, after the embarassment of dropping three extremely important points to them on Matchday 8.

The match in Western Cuba was a marvel of footballing strategy. Many teams look at Western Cuba and think the most important thing to do is contain the offense. With Edgardo Mendoza, Tito Moreno, and three dangerous wingers in Ricardo Calderón, Konstantin Yevtushenko, and Tom Dawson, I suppose you can't really blame that assumption. But it's simply not possible to contain such a dominant offense effectively for an hour and a half. Jack Laughton knew this going in from his previous experiences with Western Cuba and decided to try a risky new manuever: abandoning the Falcons' traditional 3-3-1-3 formation for a 3-4-3, benching Leon McClain in favor of Umber Lumber's dynamo Îtem Dan Pacés. The plan was to smash the weak point of Western Cuba's 4-2-4 formation by chocking off the midfield. By breaking the field distinctly into two halves, Laughton severly reduced the effectivess of the famous Western Cuban offense. The Falcons were well-connected and kept the ball flowing throughout the game while the Cubans had immense trouble advancing the ball. The best example was the play that would lead to the first goal of the match: Esteban Sanchez corralled a loose ball in the Cuban half after a botched pass off the foot of Key, but found himself with nowhere to go. Key was directly in front of him ready to make up for the slip and get the ball back, Kouzmanoff and Baez were in the way of a pass up to Perez, and Dan Pacés was not only keeping up with but making De Santa look slow. With no choice in progressing the ball, he just smashed it upfield and hoped for the best. It almost worked when Mendoza ran to recieve the booming kick, but Halth got in the way and headed it back towards the Cuban half. Baez was there to get it and immediately passed it up to Dan Pacés, who was still running circles around De Santa. Dan Pacés bounded towards the goal like a cheetah, the Cuban defense scrambling to stop him. They did. But not before he blasted a shot off, which slammed into the net above Santos' outstretched hand.

Moreno had an excellent chance later in the game when Stowe handled a pass badly and let the ball bounce away. Moreno was there to take advantage, charging past Stowe and firing his hardest to trying and bring home the equalizer. Thankfully, Lann made an incredible effort to keep it out, practically clawing the ball out of the goal. He couldn't keep a grip on it after the save, but that was mooted thanks to Liean being right there to pump play back to the midfield. Kouzmanoff got the ball and passed it up to Key, who one-timed it to Dan Pacés who spun past Perez and passed it up to Baez. Baez turned on the ball and shoveled it up to Marrero, who did what he does best at Nestingham FC, serving up a what appeared to be a wide shot that would end up being headed into the goal by Dempsy. Normally, a 2-0 deficit at home might be seen as overcomable; but with the strangle hold the Falcons had on the midfield, Dempsy's score pretty much put the game out of reach.

Falconwhereveryouare - 2
Dan Pacés, 32'
Dempsy, 64'

Western Cuba - 0

Yelvoldia
Attaché

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yelvoldia » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:32 pm

"We drew, Bob."

"I know, John. It was against bloody unranked Mantwenic."

"That's bullshit. If we can't even beat a fucking unranked team, then who the fuck can we beat?"

"No-one, that's who! We're total shite."

"True, true."

"Those fucking badgers are affecting our performances."

"I may be your mate, but if you say that one more time, I am honestly going to the metro from my house to your house, across the city, and I will kick you in the nuts."

"That's bloody illegal. The police will lock you up."

"Who cares about the fucking police?"

"Never mind. The game was terrible. We were awful. At least McLeod scored."

"McLeod's fucking amazing."

"Correctamundo, mate. Who do we have in our next game?"

"Anollasia."

"Give our diabolical performances, I would expect a loss."

"Me too. Bye John."

"Bye Bob."
Atlantian Oceania is THE PLACE
Puppet of Slembana

Kandorith
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2009
Capitalizt

Postby Kandorith » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:38 pm

Emperor sacks entire Association

Fans outraged

-Xien Takahashi, Xiǎngzhóu Daily

Disastrous, an outrage and humiliating, according to His Imperial Highness, the Emperor.

After watching most of the matches and the team failing to impress the Emperor called a halt to it. The entire staff of the Kandorese Football Association is to be on the street next week. The Emperor commented on recent losses and claimed that some losses were inevitable but the performance of this World Cup squad was, below anything he could name. (Or we could write according to our profanity censorship rules)

During a press conference head coach Shinji Huanjio made the following announcement:

"I know we have failed both nation and fans, we have failed our mission and our entire training program. I have hereby decided to drop all my activities at the Football Association. Furthermore have I and my staff been informed that we all have to pack our bags or so to say, as the Emperor decided to abolish the entire association to make place for a more modern system. With a heavy heart I can only say to the Kandorese people and the Kandorese national team and league, I am sorry I have failed you."

With that announcement the coach left the room with a hanging head and made place for the KFA to announce their resignations. The Kandorese Football Association will be reformed though, with a different name, logo and complete new staff, assigned by the emperor and national clubs themselves.

The fans will be returning home with a record not to be glad about, an amazing 41 goal difference in the negative, a performance which will scar the nation's football for months, perhaps years to come, a very, very painful memory of a very painful World Cup campaign.
Last edited by Kandorith on Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Great Empire of Kanyori | 大宮来国 | Arashi Kanyori Yokoku

Overview | Constitution | Anthem | Imperial Anthem | Armed Forces | Foreign Affairs | Emperor

Hikari Kyoyu Headlines:
BREAKING NEWS: LDP wins elections in landslide though Yoshiro Murakami will not return as prime minister they stated. | Latest technology showcased at the Empress Masumi Stadium as the January Tech Summit starts for the weekend | CDP claims LDP stole the election and will take legal steps against the election results

The Archregimancy
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 01, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Archregimancy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:44 pm

Another day in the life of the OCHE-ASDER
(Orthodox Church of the Holy Empire - Archregimancy Synod Department for External Relations)

Letter 1

To: The Editor, Sport Novari of Kinitaria

Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your frank and forthright views over Fr. Melchizedek's refereeing of your nation's match against The Javahe Islands by sending us a copy of your newspaper. We have reviewed the official World Cup Committee match report, and while we agree that four red cards may seem excessive to many observers, by your own admission, both sets of players engaged in physical violence against each other, with many punches thrown. Under the circumstances, Fr. Melchizedek likely had little choice, and is to be commended for keeping any form of control over the match. Did not the Prophet Ezekiel state that the Lord commands us to "Give up your violence and oppression and do what is just and right"?

We also note that neutral reports in your own nation describe your newspaper as "a scurrilous rag whose tenuous relationship to the truth is about as reliable as an iceberg's relationship to a supernova", so forgive us if we have not given your report the close attention you may feel it warrants.

Yours in Christ

The Monastic Football Association +

Letter 2

To: The Geisenfried Football Association

Dear Sirs,
Thank you for the kind offer of building a new Orthodox church in your nation should we intentionally fail to defeat Bacon Strips in the final qualification matchday.

It is indeed a kind and generous offer.

However, we would refer you to several Biblical passages that would appear to indicate that the acceptance of open bribes runs counter to God's will:

Exodus 23:8
Do not accept a bribe, for a bribe blinds those who see and twists the words of the innocent.

Deuteronomy 16:19
Do not pervert justice or show partiality. Do not accept a bribe, for a bribe blinds the eyes of the wise and twists the words of the innocent.

Job 15:34
For the company of the godless will be barren, and fire will consume the tents of those who love bribes.

Job 36:18
Be careful that no one entices you by riches; do not let a large bribe turn you aside.

Proverbs 15:27
The greedy bring ruin to their households, but the one who hates bribes will live.

Proverbs 17:23
The wicked accept bribes in secret to pervert the course of justice.

Ecclesiastes 7:7
Extortion turns a wise person into a fool, and a bribe corrupts the heart.

Under the circumstances, we must - with a heavy heart - decline your offer, well-intentioned though it might be.

Yours in Christ

Letter 3

To: "Mr Vegan Big"

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your recent letter stating that you will give us "all the riches our hearts desire" should we "throw the match against them Bacon Strips".

You are writing anonymously, so we regrettably have no means by which to judge your intent and honesty, or whether you actually are whom you claim to be (and not, say, a reporter from Kinitaria's Sport Novari attempting to cause a scandal in a fit of pique), but it will nonetheless likely come a disappointment to discover that we have only left this brief note under the 'third rock on the left' in the specified park.

We would note only two things:

1) We attain all the riches our hearts desire by living a life of constant prayer, dedicated to theosis with the Triune God.

2) We are unsure how a match may be 'thrown' given it is an intangible concept, and not something that can be picked up.

Yours in Christ,

Phoenigetuzstha
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Phoenigetuzstha » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:48 pm

Phoenigetuzstha Draw with FSSO - But Their Work is STILL not Finished

Phoenigetuzstha recorded an impressive 1-1 away draw against the FSSO/Eura (#whychangeyourname) at the Didoan Foundation Stadium, a full crowd saw at the match. Going into the game, Phoenigetuzstha knew they needed something from the game, and despite the FSSO, who'd all but qualified for the final tournament, seeming like the clear favourites, Phoenigetuzstha were determined to show everyone just how good they were. We must remember that on the 2 previous occasions that Phoenigetuzstha did only lose by a 1 goal margin (1-0 & 4-3 in the CoH and previous leg of this years qualifying). West Angola and Free South Califas were also in the mix, and they had to put all they had into their penultimate games, as they faced each-other on the last matchday.

Phoenigetuzstha started the game, but it immediately began to go the FSSO's way, the visitors having the majority of chances in the first 20 minutes. But seemingly realising what was at stake, they did kick their bum's into gear, but only after Persa Ryans scored from a free-kick just outside the box on the 33rd minute. The response was almost immediate, Saulaces Opsitin scoring from a cross, the assister being Pharnajom Sakauron. The game seemed to be gradually swinging back into the FSSO's favour as it went on, the tiring Phoenigetz defence being gradually sliced open by carefully planned Euran attacks. Luckily, the whistle blew in time for Phoenigetuzstha to celebrate the point against a mighty and worthy foe.

In the other games, Union Isle shocked West Angola, a 0-0 draw. West Angola's campaign seems to be slowly falling apart from their strong start. They play Free South Califas, somewhat of a 'bogey' team for Phoenigetuzstha, who recorded a slim 1-0 victory over Birolika. However insignificant that may seem, it actually sees them tie with Phoenigetuzstha on points, while West Angola slump to 4th. So, as it stands, the top of the group looks like this:
  Group 5                               Pld   W   D   L   GF   GA   GD   Pts 
1 The FSSO 13 10 2 1 35 11 24 32
2 Phoenigetuzstha 13 8 2 3 35 16 19 26
3 Free South Califas 13 8 2 3 29 15 14 26
4 West Angola 13 8 1 4 20 13 7 25

Phoenigetuzstha will play lowly High-Heels on the final matchday, were, if victory is attained that wouldn't be enough, as Free South Califas have a better record against Phoenigetuzstha. West Angola must win or draw for Phoenigetuzstha to have a chance at advancing, or they must hope for a Phoenigetz draw or loss, and win for them to advance.
WHF5: 1st (24 points)
WHF6: 15th (7 points)
WHF7: 7th (24 points)
WHF8: 5th (29 points)
WHF9: 13th (13 points)
WHF10: 4th (31 points)
WV20: 6th (75 points)
WV21: 9th (72 points)
WV22: 4th (135 points)
WV23: 10th (76 points)

Alasdair I Frosticus
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Alasdair I Frosticus » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:20 pm

OOC - I'll be adapting several famous (and more obscure) stories and epics from RL - some historical, some modern - to tell the story of the Holy Empire in WC62 as if taken from excerpts of an academic paper on the subject. First person to send me a TG correctly identifying the original source each match day can have their country as the source of the next inscription/epic used; you may specify some RP details about the site/period/etc relating to the inscription.

OOC 2 - It didn't take long for Karditan to identify The American Crisis by Thomas Paine (he actually identified 'The Crisis' by 'Thomas Payne' - but close enough)

ORDINARY REALITY HISTORY
A Journal of the Imperial Institute of Mundy Studies

Dreamed Realm Figures in Mundy Myth
A Case Study of Juan Tzimisces and World Cup 62

Zoe Argyro
Department of Mundy Studies
The Imperial University

Matchday 13 - Cosumar

The penultimate qualification match against Cosumar was the single most astonishing Holy Empire match in qualification. For 80 minutes Cosumar - for whom a victory would have secured a playoff place - played the match of their lives, and with 10 minutes left were leading 4-2. Yet when Imperial substitute Constantine Phocaso-Lascaruso scored with only 9 minutes left with his first touch of the game to make it 4-3, Cosumar seemed to suffer from an attack of nerves that led to their total footballing collapse. When Philanthropenuso scored two minutes into time added on to make it 5-4 to the Holy Empire, Tzimisces and Di Bradini had apparently managed their squad to one of the more remarkable turnarounds in World Cup 62 qualification.

It may therefore come as a surprise to discover that this epic match has not itself inspired a considerable amount of mythic bleed in Ordinary Reality. Indeed, the most clearcut example fails to mention the Holy Empire, Juan Tzimisces or even Simeone Di Bradini once! This example comes from Cosumar's fellow Atlantian Oceania nation Kinitaria, which may explain the focus on Cosumar rather than the Empire, even though the document dates several centuries (in Atlantian Oceania time) before the match it so clearly refers to.

The document in question comes from a series of four essays titled The Crisis in Kinitaria, written by at least two different anonymous authors, during the Kinitar revolution of 3309 CE [Kinitar dating] that deposed King Temur V and ushered in the Kinitar Republic. They remain some of the most stirring calls to arms in Kinitaria's history, though the references to Cosumar and football in the first essay perhaps seem curiously out of place until the principle of mythic bleed is acknowledged.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us: that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated. Thus, if a football team should be losing 4-2 to Cosumar with only 10 minutes left to play, and should achieve a 5-4 victory when the final whistle blows, how highly valued shall that dearest of victories be esteemed!

Whether the revolution against the monarchy of King Temur was declared too soon, or delayed too long, I will not now enter into as an argument; my own simple opinion is, that had it been eight months earlier, it would have been much better. We did not make a proper use of last winter, neither could we, while we were in a dependent state. However, the fault, if it were one, was all our own; we have none to blame but ourselves. But no great deal is lost yet. All that the monarchists have been doing for this month past, is rather a ravage than a suppression of our just rebellion, and which time and a little resolution will soon recover.

I have as little superstition in me as any man living, but my secret opinion has ever been, and still is, that God Almighty will not give up a people to military destruction, or leave them unsupportedly to perish, who have so earnestly and so repeatedly sought to avoid the calamities of war, by every decent method which wisdom could invent. Neither have I so much of the infidel in me, as to suppose that He has relinquished the government of the world, and given us up to the care of devils; and as I do not, I cannot see on what grounds the king of Kinitaria can look up to heaven for help against us: a common murderer, a highwayman, or a house-breaker, has as good a pretence as he.

'Tis surprising to see how rapidly a panic will sometimes run through a country. All nations and ages have been subject to them. Kinitaria has trembled like an ague at the report of a pirate fleet of flat-bottomed boats from across the Secocia Sea; while the national football team of Cosumar - as noted earlier - is known for total panic and moral collapse in the last 10 minutes of matches they seem destined to win. Yet panics, in some cases, have their uses; they produce as much good as hurt. Their duration is always short; the mind soon grows through them, and acquires a firmer habit than before. But their peculiar advantage is, that they are the touchstones of sincerity and hypocrisy, and bring things and men to light, which might otherwise have lain forever undiscovered. In fact, they have the same effect on secret traitors, which an imaginary apparition would have upon a private murderer. They sift out the hidden thoughts of man, and hold them up in public to the world. Many a disguised defender of king Temur V has lately shown his head, that shall penitentially solemnize with curses the day on which our revolutionary armies arrived in Mi'ato!

The actual essay is somewhat longer, but the above excerpt both serves to get across the tone of the entirety of the piece, and contains the two specific references to World Cup 62's matchday 13 that are most relevant to the present paper.
Last edited by Alasdair I Frosticus on Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports