NATION

PASSWORD

Two Proposals advocating for a international language

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Second Moon Rising
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Second Moon Rising » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:52 pm

The Second Moon Rising is against this idea.

... If only because this delegate already had to learn the language of "English" to be an effective member of the World Assembly. "English" seems to serve well enough already.
The Riser delegate stands at just over six and a half feet tall and bears a vaguely humanoid shape. All other features are obscured by layers upon layers of elaborate robes and veils in varying patterns and weaves of silver, the hands are covered with meticulously wrapped strips of cloth so that only the tips of short nails are exposed, and even the voice is ambiguous. The plate on the Riser delegate's desk bears the Romanization "M'yullouand'inthouahuynn y yht Shoa Vouaniya A'alayoulin Luath'louad". Stuck to that, there is a large blue Post-it note with elegant handwriting that reads "Do not bother to try and pronounce this one's title. This one is simply the Riser delegate.".

States of Glory WA Office
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:00 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
States of Glory WA Office wrote:Fairburn: I do believe that you're right for the wrong reasons, Lord Colonel His Grace Cyril Parsons, 1st Duke of Geneva, 1st Earl Parsons of Eastminster, 8th Viscount Parsons of Eastminster, 1st Baron Markenshire of Concilium, Knight of the Garter, Grand Cross of St Michael and St George, Privy Councillor, Member of Parliament for Those-Across-the-Seas; Proconsul Decimus; Permanent Representative to the World Assembly. It should be in the accusative form, but on the basis that it is the object of the sentence, not that it is the subject.

"Ambassadors, it belongs to the Nominative case, being the agent of the finite word "solum", and, being of the female gender in that it relates to lingua, a feminine word, would receive the singular ending -a."

Fairburn: 'Lingua bona' is the agent of 'solum'. The 'lingua bona' is performing the verb 'est' to the noun-adjective combination 'linguam mortuam'. Now, if you don't shut up, someone here is going to be 'mortuum' and it isn't going to be me.

Neville: Does that not count as a threat?

Fairburn: Cui, Nevillus? Bello?

OOC: OK, seriously, does the word 'est' in Latin make a noun accusative? I could honestly see an argument either way.
Ambassador: Neville Lynn Robert
Assistant: Harold "The Clown" Johnson
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:22 pm

States of Glory WA Office wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Ambassadors, it belongs to the Nominative case, being the agent of the finite word "solum", and, being of the female gender in that it relates to lingua, a feminine word, would receive the singular ending -a."

Fairburn: 'Lingua bona' is the agent of 'solum'. The 'lingua bona' is performing the verb 'est' to the noun-adjective combination 'linguam mortuam'. Now, if you don't shut up, someone here is going to be 'mortuum' and it isn't going to be me.

OOC: OK, seriously, does the word 'est' in Latin make a noun accusative? I could honestly see an argument either way.

OOC: never in my experience, but I was a poor Latin student. It's inflectional, while English is positional, and I never managed to reconcile that in my brain. My Latin always looked very...well, American. Got on well with their philosophy, though.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:31 pm

States of Glory WA Office wrote:...OOC: OK, seriously, does the word 'est' in Latin make a noun accusative? I could honestly see an argument either way.

No.

Deus magnus est, puella scita est, saxum calidum est. Edit: that last is useless, of course, being 2decl neut, but whatever...

Edit 2: see below for response to the *actual* question. Damn my substandard reading comprehension!

Stercus, alea iacta est, canes!

Medea praecantatrix est. Napoleon pumilus fuit. Pirata audax erat, sed postea senex erat.
Last edited by Sierra Lyricalia on Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Storyia
Civil Servant

Founded: Sep 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Storyia » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:03 pm

The delegation from The People's Republic of Storyia object to the avocation of an international language. It seems to be an unnecessary burden to a member states to have to implement education standards for citizens, of their respective states, to be proficient at another language. It is suffice to say that delegates and ambassadors to member nations would obviously be educated in said languages. It would be irrelevant, redundant, and costly for member nations to adopt a international language.
Last edited by Storyia on Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:23 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
States of Glory WA Office wrote:Fairburn: 'Lingua bona' is the agent of 'solum'. The 'lingua bona' is performing the verb 'est' to the noun-adjective combination 'linguam mortuam'. Now, if you don't shut up, someone here is going to be 'mortuum' and it isn't going to be me.

OOC: never in my experience, but I was a poor Latin student. It's inflectional, while English is positional, and I never managed to reconcile that in my brain. My Latin always looked very...well, American. Got on well with their philosophy, though.

OOC: How can Latin look American? 'tabernam hostorum intravi. Biggus Maccus consumpsi.'

I've also realised that I haven't expressed my opinion on the two proposals. I'm against both of them. The universal translators do a good enough job.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:11 pm

States of Glory WA Office wrote:OOC: How can Latin look American? 'tabernam hostorum intravi. Biggus Maccus consumpsi.'

For example, using SVO instead of SOV.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:25 pm

States of Glory WA Office wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:OOC: never in my experience, but I was a poor Latin student. It's inflectional, while English is positional, and I never managed to reconcile that in my brain. My Latin always looked very...well, American. Got on well with their philosophy, though.

OOC: How can Latin look American? 'tabernam hostorum intravi. Biggus Maccus consumpsi.'

I've also realised that I haven't expressed my opinion on the two proposals. I'm against both of them. The universal translators do a good enough job.

OOC: Word order is basically meaningless in Latin. You can shake up a paragraph and let the nouns and verbs fall where they will, so long as the connectors are ordered properly, everything will basically work out. That's actually no small amount of Latin poetry.

On the other hand, I always wrote like an American. Noun Verbed Adjectivally. Noun Adjective Verb Preposition Noun. My German is pretty much the same way, which is really difficult to work around. As I recall, German wants any verbs after your first at the end of your sentence, where I would place them relevant to their subject.

Thus, translators, which is why I also cannot support this ICly or OOCly.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:20 am

Tinfect wrote:"The Imperium sees no reason to teach foreign languages within our borders, nor would we allow such a thing to take place were there reason. This proposal that you seek to garner support for, provides no justification whatsoever for its mandates, and fails to explain why this 'Esperanto' nonsense is chosen above... whatever this language the World Assembly mandates is called; 'Inglish', or somesuch gibbering. In any case, the Imperium will not see the language of our people displaced by some foreign nonsense."

Our nation has many multilingual citizens, since there are many careers that can require either your people know the other language or the other nation knows yours. It's always better your people know other languages instead of other people's learning your language.

Of course, we would take offence at the WA trying to force us to teach a new language just to assist inept nations who give no thought to their nations effective operation.
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:08 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
States of Glory WA Office wrote:OOC: How can Latin look American? 'tabernam hostorum intravi. Biggus Maccus consumpsi.'

For example, using SVO instead of SOV.

OOC: Huh. While I was aware that students in the US tend to place the genitive above the accusative when learning cases (which, when considering how important the genitive case is in Latin, makes a lot of sense), I was not aware that they tended to use an SVO construction. It does mirror English more, but as someone who's had to translate SOV passages, SVO Latin does look a little alien.

Elke and Elba
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:11 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Madsons: What is this Esperanto bullshit? Never heard of it. It's patently obvious to me that anyone who doesn't speak Latin is a barbarian.

Alethea pops in.
"Ah Knabo, zis Esperanto thing is interesting! But alas, is not useful. You need to learn vortoj after vortoj. La knabo sinjoron NewYorkState probably doesn't know Esperanto himself, but I do a bit! I know training people to speak Esperanto may seem like something that can be done rapido, but oni diras, it's not worth changing the entire forest just to make things a little better - which probably have little benefits thereafter."

OOC: I gave up learning Esperanto about a month in. I realised that a universal language isn't a good thing here nor in real life, and forcing people to converse and accept a language as superior in a inherent fashion often times means giving up culture and things that can only be expressed in a certain language (ie sisu in Finnish, or hiraeth in Welsh). While Swahili is often spoken as a trade language in markets and market towns, they do not erode the value of their own mother tongues at home. Esperanto may, and that alone isn't a good thing for real life.

There are certain Esperanto words that have been used in my IC response - ie knabo is brother, vortoj is words, la knabo sinjoron NewYorkState is the brother Mr. NewYorkState, rapido is fast and oni diras is people say/it is said. I already forgot most of the grammar rules. Not useful in real world - I'd rather learn the hundred-times harder Icelandic or Faroese and their culture than just an artificial vessel for communication, and despite a L2 speaker number of two million there's not really many to talk to in Esperanto anyway, and there are issues about the Esperanto movement being hijacked by certain individuals, but that's another topic for General :)
Represented permanently at the World Assembly by Benjamin Olafsen, and on an ad-hoc basis by Alethea Norrland and rarely Gaia Pao and Gabriel Dzichpol.
OOCly retired from the GA/SC for something called 'real life'.
Author of GA#288 and SC#148.
Ratateague wrote:NationStates seems to hate the Geneva Convention. I've lost count in how many times someone has tried to introduce something like it. Why they don't like it is a mystery to me. Probably a lot of jingoist wingnuts.
Ardchoille wrote:When you consider that (violet) once changed the colour of the whole game for one player ... you can understand how seriously NS takes its players.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:04 am

OOC: Allegedly, on Earth-RL nowadays, Klingon has more speakers than Esperanto does!

^_^
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:13 am

Bears Armed wrote:OOC: Allegedly, on Earth-RL nowadays, Klingon has more speakers than Esperanto does!

^_^

I strongly doubt that.
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
The Blaatschapen wrote:I'll still graze the forums with my presence
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:15 am

Bears Armed wrote:OOC: Allegedly, on Earth-RL nowadays, Klingon has more speakers than Esperanto does!

^_^

OOC:Maj! Hoch chargh tlhIngan wo'! Q'plah!

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:39 am

Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:41 am

Almonaster Nuevo wrote:

^_^

I strongly doubt that.

OOC: About 20-30 fluent Klingon speakers, about 10,000 fluent Esperanto speakers. But being fluent in Klingon is a bit hard due to the vocabulary being futuristic to say it mildly.
Last edited by Araraukar on Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Libertarianopolis
Civilian

Founded: Sep 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarianopolis » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:53 pm

All this is is a restraint. Enforcing a universal language would bring disadvantages to those aspiring to be political leaders or business professionals. You should not challenge human liberty. Making a specific language necessary for business and politics is an attack on liberty.

The Free People of Libertarianopolois strongly oppose this restricting and unnecessary regulation.

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:56 am

I think that English serves well enough,for trade, but maybe a specific language for better communications?
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:35 am

Noahs Second Country wrote:I think that English serves well enough,for trade, but maybe a specific language for better communications?

"Why? Why bother creating a specific language at all? What is so wrong with the use of translators and retaining the unique cultural facets of using a native tongue? Why do you want to kill cultural diversity?"

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly