NATION

PASSWORD

Freedom of Sexuality Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
New Horensian Kingdom
Attaché

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Freedom of Sexuality Act

Postby New Horensian Kingdom » Thu May 28, 2015 1:47 pm

Due to the failure of the original FoSA to gain 96 approvals, I have decided to resubmit FoSA, with several changes in wording as well as correcting a mistake I found.

The link to the current proposal: http://www.nationstates.net/page=UN_vie ... 1432845759

The text:

RECOGNISING the need for a law to protect sexual privacy following the repeal of the Sexual Privacy Act,

CONSIDER the following proposal:

Article 1

(A)No state shall abridge on the sexual privacy of their citizens, provided the acts involved are consensual and not incestuous or involve non-human animals.

(B)A state may pass its own legislation to protect sexual activity, if consensual, involving non-human animals or incest if it chooses to for one or both. A state may also pass its own legislation to ban such activities, one or both.

(C)Each state must pass all the necessary legislation and make all the necessary changes to keep in line with this bill.

Article 2

(A)A sexual act is to be defined as any act between two or more individuals which involve the stimulation of sexual organs.

(B)Consent is to be defined as giving full agreement to any sexual acts by and to the participants involved, unless the consent is granted by force, coercion, mistaken identity, deception, or by one with a debilitating mental illness.

(C)Each state can create an age of consent, which is to be defined as when an individual can consent to sexual activity. If a state fails to choose an age of consent, the age of majority is to become the age of consent. If a state has neither of these ages, an individual will reach both ages at the age of puberty.

(D)Individuals under the age of consent may only engage in sexual acts with other individuals under the age of consent or just above, provided the age gap is no more than 4 years apart.

(E)Puberty is to be defined as the period of development during which physical growth and sexual maturation occurs.

Article 3

(A)No nation may criminalize or regulate sexual acts between consenting individuals, as long as the individuals are not related to each other and/or do not involve animals, when practiced in the privacy of one's home, or at the very least, away from public exposure.

(B)All nations are to enact legislation punishing all forms of non-consensual or invalid consensual sexual activity, regardless of the genders or sexes of the persons involved, and to treat all offenders and victims equally under these laws, regardless of the genders or sexes of these persons.

(C)No nation may pass laws that criminalize consensual sexual acts between two or more individuals of differing ranks in businesses or the military. Punishments are to be solely left to the organizations affected, and the legal system must not get involved unless it is determined that the acts performed were non-consensual or of dubious or invalid consent.

(D)Incest is to be defined as sexual acts between siblings, between parents and children, between first and second cousins, and between any grandparents (and great-grandparents and so on) and their direct descendants. This applies regardless of how these individuals are related (biological, in-law, or adopted).

(E)Non-human animals are to be defined as any animal that is not of the species Homo sapiens, or doesn't possess sapience, which is to be defined as the ability to possess human-like wisdom and abilities, including but not limited to speaking in a coherent language, acting with judgment, and the ability to possess intelligence.

Article 4

(A)No nation may pass differing ages of consent depending on gender, sex, or a sexual act.

(B)No nation may define consent in a way that denies that capability to heterosexual or cisgender individuals, nor to any individual that identifies with an LGBT+ identity.

EDIT: I have decided that this thread will remain the center of the Freedom of Sexuality Act as well as any changes and resubmissions that will be made. Check back for more updates coming soon!
Last edited by New Horensian Kingdom on Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vote for me in the WA elections!

https://www.nationstates.net/page=election

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu May 28, 2015 1:48 pm

(A)No state shall abridge on the sexual privacy of their citizens, provided the acts involved are consensual and not incestuous or involve non-human animals.

"What about the non-human members of this Assembly?"

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Thu May 28, 2015 5:21 pm

ProTip: Post here before submission so other players and authors can offer advice or suggestions. I don't really see much point in sifting through the text and offering questions or suggestions since there's no potential for editing the proposal text after it's submitted.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri May 29, 2015 3:50 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:

You read that clause as allowing the state to infringe on the sexual privacy of its citizens if the acts involved involve non-human animals? Well, that's one interpretation...
However, looking at the grammar & punctuation used there, I think that it could also be read legitimately as meaning just that if the acts involve non-human animals then the states' power to "abridge the sexual privacy of their citizens" in the cases of non-consensual actions or incest doesn't apply...
:roll:
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri May 29, 2015 5:30 am

Bears Armed wrote:

You read that clause as allowing the state to infringe on the sexual privacy of its citizens if the acts involved involve non-human animals? Well, that's one interpretation...
However, looking at the grammar & punctuation used there, I think that it could also be read legitimately as meaning just that if the acts involve non-human animals then the states' power to "abridge the sexual privacy of their citizens" in the cases of non-consensual actions or incest doesn't apply...

OOC: Sorry, I'm just not seeing it that way. It looks like an attempt to allow states to outlaw beastiality, with is fine, but fails to consider sapient nonhumans in the WA.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Fri May 29, 2015 6:24 am

Bears Armed wrote:You read that clause as allowing the state to infringe on the sexual privacy of its citizens if the acts involved involve non-human animals? Well, that's one interpretation...

OOC: Sorry, I'm just not seeing it that way. It looks like an attempt to allow states to outlaw beastiality, with is fine, but fails to consider sapient nonhumans in the WA.

OOC: Depends where you interpret the imaginary semicolons and stuff that separates the phrases. I can totally see both interpretations. Consider.

You see this:

(A)No state shall abridge on the sexual privacy of their citizens, provided the acts involved are: consensual, and not <incestuous or involve non-human animals.>

But it's also possible to read:

(A)No state shall abridge on the sexual privacy of their citizens, provided the acts involved: <are consensual and not incestuous>; or involve non-human animals.

Good punctuation saves lives. :lol:
Last edited by Sierra Lyricalia on Sun May 31, 2015 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

New Horensian Kingdom
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby New Horensian Kingdom » Fri May 29, 2015 11:59 am

Bears Armed wrote:You read that clause as allowing the state to infringe on the sexual privacy of its citizens if the acts involved involve non-human animals? Well, that's one interpretation...

Funny you should mention non-human sapient animals. Here is the resolution's definition of non-human animals:

(E)Non-human animals are to be defined as any animal that is not of the species Homo sapiens, or (<<<EMPHASIS ON THAT WORD) doesn't possess sapience, which is to be defined as the ability to possess human-like wisdom and abilities, including but not limited to speaking in a coherent language, acting with judgment, and the ability to possess intelligence.

The bolded section is intended to let human-like animals engage in sexual relations with humans and vice-versa, since technically, they are human animals.

OOC: The closest example I can think of off the top of my head of a human animal not of the species Homo sapiens would be the ponies/griffons/donkeys/etc. from MLP:FiM. They all are very human-like and would fall under this law if they actually existed in NS, if some nation already doesn't have them exist for the sake of RP.
Last edited by New Horensian Kingdom on Fri May 29, 2015 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Sun May 31, 2015 8:44 pm

You, um, appear to have submitted this, despite the likelihood of some nation interpreting one of the main clauses in the manner outlined above (let's call that "shooting the moon," shall we?) - that is, banning incest and non-consensual sex, UNLESS the perpetrators go all the way to crazytown and include a badger or a Clydesdale or something. The World Assembly has a strong metaphysical overlap with the general internet, the most important part of that being that Rule 34 tends to apply to both. This resolution will continue that long tradition.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Elke and Elba
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Sun May 31, 2015 10:25 pm

New Horensian Kingdom wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:OOC: Sorry, I'm just not seeing it that way. It looks like an attempt to allow states to outlaw beastiality, with is fine, but fails to consider sapient nonhumans in the WA.

Funny you should mention non-human sapient animals. Here is the resolution's definition of non-human animals:

(E)Non-human animals are to be defined as any animal that is not of the species Homo sapiens, or (<<<EMPHASIS ON THAT WORD) doesn't possess sapience, which is to be defined as the ability to possess human-like wisdom and abilities, including but not limited to speaking in a coherent language, acting with judgment, and the ability to possess intelligence.

The bolded section is intended to let human-like animals engage in sexual relations with humans and vice-versa, since technically, they are human animals.

OOC: The closest example I can think of off the top of my head of a human animal not of the species Homo sapiens would be the ponies/griffons/donkeys/etc. from MLP:FiM. They all are very human-like and would fall under this law if they actually existed in NS, if some nation already doesn't have them exist for the sake of RP.

Would it have been easier to change it to 'non-sapient beings'?

Unfortunately I do think this is DoA, anyway. There are issues that haven't been resolved and yet fasttracked for the proposal board.
Represented permanently at the World Assembly by Benjamin Olafsen, and on an ad-hoc basis by Alethea Norrland and rarely Gaia Pao and Gabriel Dzichpol.
OOCly retired from the GA/SC for something called 'real life'.
Author of GA#288 and SC#148.
Ratateague wrote:NationStates seems to hate the Geneva Convention. I've lost count in how many times someone has tried to introduce something like it. Why they don't like it is a mystery to me. Probably a lot of jingoist wingnuts.
Ardchoille wrote:When you consider that (violet) once changed the colour of the whole game for one player ... you can understand how seriously NS takes its players.

New Horensian Kingdom
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby New Horensian Kingdom » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:05 pm

Here is the resubmitted proposal, with edits in regards to sapience taken into account, which was a concern for the past submissions: http://www.nationstates.net/page=UN_vie ... 1433192634

Text:
RECOGNISING the need for a law to protect sexual privacy following the repeal of the Sexual Privacy Act,
Article 1

(A)No state shall abridge on the sexual privacy of their citizens, provided the acts involved are consensual and not incestuous and/or involve non-sapient animals.

(B)A state may pass its own legislation to protect sexual activity, if consensual, involving non-human animals or incest if it chooses to for one or both. A state may also pass its own legislation to ban such activities, one or both.

(C)Each state must pass all the necessary legislation and make all the necessary changes to keep in line with this bill.

Article 2

(A)A sexual act is to be defined as any act between two or more individuals which involve the stimulation of sexual organs.

(B)Consent is to be defined as giving full agreement to any sexual acts by and to the participants involved, unless the consent is granted by force, coercion, mistaken identity, deception, or by one with a debilitating mental illness.

(C)Each state can create an age of consent, which is to be defined as when an individual can consent to sexual activity. If a state fails to choose an age of consent, the age of majority is to become the age of consent. If a state has neither of these ages, an individual will reach both ages at the age of puberty.

(D)Individuals under the age of consent may only engage in sexual acts with other individuals under the age of consent or just above, provided the age gap is no more than 4 years apart.

(E)Puberty is to be defined as the period of development during which physical growth and sexual maturation occurs.

Article 3

(A)No nation may criminalize or regulate sexual acts between consenting individuals, as long as the individuals are not related to each other and/or do not involve animals, when practiced in the privacy of one's home, or at the very least, away from public exposure.

(B)All nations are to enact legislation punishing all forms of non-consensual or invalid consensual sexual activity, regardless of the genders or sexes of the persons involved, and to treat all offenders and victims equally under these laws, regardless of the genders or sexes of these persons.

(C)No nation may pass laws that criminalize consensual sexual acts between two or more individuals of differing ranks in businesses or the military. Punishments are to be solely left to the organizations affected, and the legal system must not get involved unless it is determined that the acts performed were non-consensual or of dubious or invalid consent.

(D)Incest is to be defined as sexual acts between siblings, between parents and children, between first and second cousins, and between any grandparents (and great-grandparents and so on) and their direct descendants. This applies regardless of how these individuals are related (biological, in-law, or adopted).

(E)Non-sapient animals are to be defined as any animal that does not possess sapience, which is to be defined as the ability to possess human-like wisdom and abilities, including but not limited to speaking in a coherent language, acting with judgment, and the ability to possess intelligence.

Article 4

(A)No nation may pass differing ages of consent depending on gender, sex, or a sexual act.

(B)No nation may define consent in a way that denies that capability to heterosexual or cisgender individuals, nor to any individual that identifies with an LGBT+ identity.

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:22 pm

New Horensian Kingdom wrote:Here is the resubmitted proposal, with edits in regards to sapience taken into account, which was a concern for the past submissions: http://www.nationstates.net/page=UN_vie ... 1433192634

Text:
Article 1

(A)No state shall abridge on the sexual privacy of their citizens, provided the acts involved are consensual and not incestuous and/or involve non-sapient animals.

Article 2

Article 3

(E)Non-sapient animals are to be defined as any animal that does not possess sapience, which is to be defined as the ability to possess human-like wisdom and abilities, including but not limited to speaking in a coherent language, acting with judgment, and the ability to possess intelligence.

Article 4

"As has been stated before, ambassador, one should post the Proposal here to garner people's opinions BEFORE you submit it to the WA. That is, if you really want to get this thing to the floor for a full debate."
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR 2 - 0 WSH | COL 1 - 1 WPG | VGK 2 - 0 DAL || NBA: NOLA (8) 0 - 2 OKC (1)
NCAA MBB: Tulane 22-19 | LSU 26-16 || NCAA WSB: LSU 35-11

New Horensian Kingdom
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby New Horensian Kingdom » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:56 pm

Submitted again!

Article 1

Article 2

Article 3

Article 4

Link: http://www.nationstates.net/page=UN_vie ... 1434401729

Pennswald
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Pennswald » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:26 pm

I perceive you have a passion for this issue, however, your resolution needs work.

I respectfully submit the following for consideration when this fails to achieve quorum again:
  • Non-human or non-sapient? Choose one and stick to it.
  • Better yet, achieve clarity by eliminating the "non-sapient" option. The ability to give consent implies sapience.
  • Clean up the organization. The article divisions don't make much sense to me. It would be better to group the definitions into a preliminary section.
  • It is better to define terms before using them in a clause.
  • Once you submit, you can't update. Hammer out the text and build consensus in the forum first.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly