NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Repeal Patient's Rights Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:20 pm

Defwa wrote:
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:This entire discussion is asinine.

Your apparent surprise at this is surprising

More wishful thinking, really. Maybe, if I look up at the sky and try real hard, I can make other ambassadors think before they speak.

Then I look at my own delegation's record on that and laugh.

...it passes the time. That and whiskey. :)
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:08 pm

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
Defwa wrote:Your apparent surprise at this is surprising

More wishful thinking, really. Maybe, if I look up at the sky and try real hard, I can make other ambassadors think before they speak.

Then I look at my own delegation's record on that and laugh.

...it passes the time. That and whiskey. :)

"Who's passing whiskey? Pass some over here! Unless treating the building aneurism with booze counts as a medical procedure, in which case it's unreasonable to expect you to be able to handle that."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:01 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Who's passing whiskey? Pass some over here! Unless treating the building aneurism with booze counts as a medical procedure, in which case it's unreasonable to expect you to be able to handle that."

I think if it were a medical procedure this pack of lushes would've made a shining beacon of open and responsive government by now; new proposals would be carried in by spell-checking bluebirds who only poop on repealed legislation, and defenestrations would become a silly amusement, judged like figure skating, rather than a grim necessity.

Steph opens the satchel that passes for her "briefcase" and roots around in it with both hands for a few seconds, then comes up with a small bottle.

Until that intern comes back with the porta-bar, this is all I got. And no ice, either. But hey.

Steph breaks the purple wax on the bottle of Laker's Lark and removes the cap. Takes a swig and passes it over.

Little more pretentious than I usually go for, but bourbon's bourbon.

So: now that this is also on the table, does the author care to address the comments made? Or just sit and have a drink?
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Old Hope
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Old Hope » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:12 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Who's passing whiskey? Pass some over here! Unless treating the building aneurism with booze counts as a medical procedure, in which case it's unreasonable to expect you to be able to handle that."

I think if it were a medical procedure this pack of lushes would've made a shining beacon of open and responsive government by now; new proposals would be carried in by spell-checking bluebirds who only poop on repealed legislation, and defenestrations would become a silly amusement, judged like figure skating, rather than a grim necessity.

Steph opens the satchel that passes for her "briefcase" and roots around in it with both hands for a few seconds, then comes up with a small bottle.

Until that intern comes back with the porta-bar, this is all I got. And no ice, either. But hey.

Steph breaks the purple wax on the bottle of Laker's Lark and removes the cap. Takes a swig and passes it over.

Little more pretentious than I usually go for, but bourbon's bourbon.

So: now that this is also on the table, does the author care to address the comments made? Or just sit and have a drink?

I have nearly no time for this right now, so... later.
Imperium Anglorum wrote:The format wars are a waste of time.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:44 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:defenestrations would become a silly amusement, judged like figure skating

Happens sometimes.

^_^
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:35 am

Old Hope wrote:I have nearly no time for this right now, so... later.

"I have a better idea: give up and preserve what little political credibility you have left. Every single point you've made on this has been refuted. With absurd ease. This has no chance."
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:51 pm

Louisistan wrote:
Jackonia wrote:I think that before trying to treat a patient, there needs to be Scientific collaboration in order to develop a vaccine.
Ambassador, you do realise that not all illnesses are curable by a vaccine?

Now, I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one one TV, but I'm fairly certain that zero illnesses are curable by vaccine. Vaccines are used to prevent a person from getting the illness in the first place, not as a treatment for one.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Louisistan
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Louisistan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:41 am

Flibbleites wrote:
Louisistan wrote:Ambassador, you do realise that not all illnesses are curable by a vaccine?

Now, I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one one TV, but I'm fairly certain that zero illnesses are curable by vaccine. Vaccines are used to prevent a person from getting the illness in the first place, not as a treatment for one.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Indeed.
Knight of TITO

Divitaen
Senator

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Divitaen » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:07 am

Is there a prominent example of any recognized emergency healthcare technique that worsens the spread of an infectious disease?
Hillary Clinton 2016! Stronger Together!
EU Referendum: Vote Leave = Project Hate #VoteRemain!
Economic Right/Left: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.15
Foreign Policy Non-interventionist/Neo-conservative: -10.00
Cultural Liberal/Conservative: -10.00
Social Democrat:
Cosmopolitan/Nationalistic - 38%
Secular/Fundamentalist - 50%
Visionary/Reactionary - 56%
Anarchistic/Authoritarian - 24%
Communistic/Capitalistic - 58%
Pacifist/Militarist - 39%
Ecological/Anthropocentric - 55%

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:07 am

Divitaen wrote:Is there a prominent example of any recognized emergency healthcare technique that worsens the spread of an infectious disease?

Probably poorly employed techniques by improperly trained healthcare workers?

In all seriousness, replacing PRA is on my eventual to-do list, but the "issues" listed within this repeal text are overblown if not completely wrong. I cannot support this repeal at this time.

-Adele Hale
WA Ambassador for Mousebumples
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Divitaen
Senator

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Divitaen » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:19 am

Mousebumples wrote:
Divitaen wrote:Is there a prominent example of any recognized emergency healthcare technique that worsens the spread of an infectious disease?

Probably poorly employed techniques by improperly trained healthcare workers?

In all seriousness, replacing PRA is on my eventual to-do list, but the "issues" listed within this repeal text are overblown if not completely wrong. I cannot support this repeal at this time.

-Adele Hale

That's.....strange. I can understand that nations would want to allow patients the choice to refuse even life-saving medical treatment, and there should be legislation protecting that right to patient autonomy, but don't most medical boards ban dangerous or debilitating medical treatments? I mean, from a "do no harm" perspective dangerous medical practices tend to be unlicensed right, so doesn't that make this repeal moot?
Hillary Clinton 2016! Stronger Together!
EU Referendum: Vote Leave = Project Hate #VoteRemain!
Economic Right/Left: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.15
Foreign Policy Non-interventionist/Neo-conservative: -10.00
Cultural Liberal/Conservative: -10.00
Social Democrat:
Cosmopolitan/Nationalistic - 38%
Secular/Fundamentalist - 50%
Visionary/Reactionary - 56%
Anarchistic/Authoritarian - 24%
Communistic/Capitalistic - 58%
Pacifist/Militarist - 39%
Ecological/Anthropocentric - 55%

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:24 am

Divitaen wrote:
Mousebumples wrote:Probably poorly employed techniques by improperly trained healthcare workers?

-Adele Hale

That's.....strange. I can understand that nations would want to allow patients the choice to refuse even life-saving medical treatment, and there should be legislation protecting that right to patient autonomy, but don't most medical boards ban dangerous or debilitating medical treatments? I mean, from a "do no harm" perspective dangerous medical practices tend to be unlicensed right, so doesn't that make this repeal moot?

"I imagine not every nation has such an oath for their medical professionals."

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:42 am

"Even with PRA / Medical Research Ethics Act, there's still definitely scope for more international law on medical ethics."

~ Daisy Chinmusic
Secretary General of the Increasingly Desperate Campaign To Pass Literally Any Resolution In The New Health Category

Iron Felix
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Iron Felix » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:19 pm

Flibbleites wrote:
Louisistan wrote:Ambassador, you do realise that not all illnesses are curable by a vaccine?

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Felix Dzerzhinsky stops what he is doing, walks over and heartily slaps Bob Flibble on the back.

"Welcome back my friend!"
Vanguard of the Yeldan Worker's Revolution

Iron Felix
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Iron Felix » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:30 pm

Mousebumples wrote:In all seriousness, replacing PRA is on my eventual to-do list,

There was a time when I might have supported a repeal/replace of PRA, even though I have never quite understood your reasons for wanting to do so. However, my thoughts on this matter have evolved somewhat over the past year or so, and now I would quite forcefully oppose such an effort.

Felix Edmundovich Dzerzhinsky
Chairman, Yeldan Committee for State Security
Vanguard of the Yeldan Worker's Revolution

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly