NATION

PASSWORD

[QUICK DRAFT to submit][+] Right to Religion

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Elke and Elba
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

[QUICK DRAFT to submit][+] Right to Religion

Postby Elke and Elba » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:05 am

APPLAUDING previous efforts to seek equality for people of different religion(s), however,

NOTING that this World Assembly has not yet ascertained the right of people to believe in religion(s) or their right to worship,

The World Assembly,

MANDATES all member states to acknowledge their inhabitants' right to religion, and;

FURTHER MANDATES all member states to acknowledge their inhabitants' right to worship so long it does not infringe on the rights of others,

PERMITS member states to implement policies which devolves greater freedom to its inhabitants, and;

CLARIFIES that this resolution does not infringe under member states' rights to do so.

APPLAUDING previous efforts to seek equality for people of different religion(s), however,

NOTING that this World Assembly has not yet ascertained the right of people to believe in religion(s) or their right to worship,

The World Assembly,

MANDATES all member states to acknowledge their inhabitants' right to religion, and;

FURTHER MANDATES all member states to acknowledge their inhabitants' right to worship so long it does not infringe on the rights of others,

PROHIBITS member states from banning religion or the practice of religion in their area of jurisdiction,

PERMITS member states to implement policies which devolves greater freedom to its inhabitants, and;

CLARIFIES that this resolution does not infringe under member states' rights to do so.

The further mandate clause ensures you don't have people going around burning the houses of others and claiming "it's a worship practice".

As for CoCR, it only ensures that a certain group of people isn't targeted. However, it does not ensure the right to religion (ie they can ban religion, and still is following & adhering to CoCR.)
Last edited by Elke and Elba on Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Represented permanently at the World Assembly by Benjamin Olafsen, and on an ad-hoc basis by Alethea Norrland and rarely Gaia Pao and Gabriel Dzichpol.
OOCly retired from the GA/SC for something called 'real life'.
Author of GA#288 and SC#148.
Ratateague wrote:NationStates seems to hate the Geneva Convention. I've lost count in how many times someone has tried to introduce something like it. Why they don't like it is a mystery to me. Probably a lot of jingoist wingnuts.
Ardchoille wrote:When you consider that (violet) once changed the colour of the whole game for one player ... you can understand how seriously NS takes its players.

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:18 am

"I definitely agree this should be a 'quick draft'. After all, this isn't a complex subject with any need for any sort of nuance or subtlety."

~ Ambassador to the WA Inky Fungschlammer

Elke and Elba
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:23 am

The Dark Star Republic wrote:"I definitely agree this should be a 'quick draft'. After all, this isn't a complex subject with any need for any sort of nuance or subtlety."

It is wonderous that Inky has nothing particularly hurting to say about this draft?

OOC: I'm tired of waiting for a response for the War Conduct Project, so I must as well go and find areas where it isn't covered, and just need a simple resolution to plug the gap. I realised that everyone have to have a race, sex or whatsoever but religion is an optional, opt-in, not really inborn thing.
Represented permanently at the World Assembly by Benjamin Olafsen, and on an ad-hoc basis by Alethea Norrland and rarely Gaia Pao and Gabriel Dzichpol.
Ratateague wrote:NationStates seems to hate the Geneva Convention. I've lost count in how many times someone has tried to introduce something like it. Why they don't like it is a mystery to me. Probably a lot of jingoist wingnuts.
Ardchoille wrote:When you consider that (violet) once changed the colour of the whole game for one player ... you can understand how seriously NS takes its players.

Elke and Elba
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:15 am

Anyway, aiming for submission in 24h. This doesn't really need nuance, as Inky has rightly pointed out.

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:22 am

The Ambassador frowns, and checks the readings on a device on his desk.

"Anyway, why don't you start by considering what this is actually about: to hold religious beliefs, to engage in religious practices, or to be a member of an organized religion? In all three cases, I wonder whether some kind of definition is needed. The most obvious way to discriminate against a religion is to simply declare that it is not a religion at all."

Draica
Senator

Founded: Feb 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Draica » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:25 am

Ambassador Tung puts his head down before rising to speak to this.

"While freedom of Religion is in Draica's constitution, there are cults who praise the sun gods and abduct and kill children in Draica. Our Government has been recently blasting bullets into their bodies. Draica refuses to accept them or their death cult. Opposed."
Draica is a Federal Republic nation ran by conservatives and Libertarians! If you ever wanna rp a state visit, a war, a debate with one of my leaders or a conservative/libertarian philosopher, or just wanna tg me in general(I like TGs) drop me a TG!
Allies: Pantorrum, Korgenstin, Zebraltar, Kiribati-Tarawa, Democratic Sabha. Idoa, Allaena, Lledia.
Enemies: Arkania 5, any communist nation, Drakorvanyia.
Wars:

The Draican-Arkanian war: On-going

The Waldensian-Draican-Kiribati Cold War: Won. Dissolution of Communist Government in Waldensia

The Draican-Die erworbenen Namen war: Draica successfully defended, retaliation called off.

Hayabusan WA Mission
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Hayabusan WA Mission » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:46 am

Draica wrote:Ambassador Tung puts his head down before rising to speak to this.

"While freedom of Religion is in Draica's constitution, there are cults who praise the sun gods and abduct and kill children in Draica. Our Government has been recently blasting bullets into their bodies. Draica refuses to accept them or their death cult. Opposed."

"Seconded. We have cults like these as well, and it really is a nuisance to have them around and scaring our society, and a terrible crime to have them take children and sacrifice innocent, random people. These people need to be eliminated, and this act would enable cults to practice their twisted rituals and terrorize the people, but this time, they would be protected by the law. I am opposed to this resolution."
From the desk of,
WA Ambassador Ryan Abdullah of Hayabusa

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:50 am

Draica wrote:"While freedom of Religion is in Draica's constitution, there are cults who praise the sun gods and abduct and kill children in Draica. Our Government has been recently blasting bullets into their bodies. Draica refuses to accept them or their death cult. Opposed."

:palm: Umm, Ambassador Tung... did you read the part that says:
FURTHER MANDATES all member states to acknowledge their inhabitants' right to worship so long it does not infringe on the rights of others
?

Or are we to take it that you do not acknowledge a right of children to not be abducted and killed?
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Starkmoor
Envoy

Founded: Mar 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Starkmoor » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:54 am

Opposed. Marx himself contended that religion is the opiate of the masses and we adhere to this 100%. The People's Republic officially discourages religion.

Despite our ongoing efforts, we still have dangerous cults operating in underdeveloped parts of the country who are causing disorder and scaring the populace. Some of them even recruit young children and commit group suicides, all technically voluntary activities that the People's Republic would be prohibited from stopping if this resolution should pass.
Last edited by Starkmoor on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Standing up for Koba and still standing tall!
PRO: Drones, surveillance, basic income, safety net, atheism, separation of church and state, cloudy days, unions, Stalin, concealed carry, 80s & 90s R&B music
ANTI: Organized religion, fundamentalism, Trotsky, college tuition, Juggalos/Juggalettes, gun control, militia types, crime, poverty, selfishness, inequality, rioters/looters, cop-haters.
Political Compass: Left -10.00, Authoritarian 6.21

ALMF
Minister

Founded: Jun 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby ALMF » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:01 am

Elke and Elba wrote:
*snip*

PROHIBITS member states from banning religion or the practice of religion in their area of jurisdiction,

*snip

Thees two contradict each-other. The epistemology "faith" and supernatural existential claims INHERENTLY infringe on the rights of nonbelievers and followers of other sects for that matter.
a left social libertarian (all on a scale 0-10 with a direction: 0 centrist 10 extreme)
Left over right: 5.99
Libertarian over authoritarian: 4.2,
non-interventionist over neo-con: 5.14
Cultural liberal over cultural conservative: 7.6

You are a cosmopolitan Social Democrat. 16 percent of the test participators are in the same category and 5 percent are more extremist than you.

ALMF
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby ALMF » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:05 am

Starkmoor wrote:Opposed. Marx himself contended that religion is the opiate of the masses and we adhere to this 100%. The People's Republic officially discourages religion.

Despite our ongoing efforts, we still have dangerous cults operating in underdeveloped parts of the country who are causing disorder and scaring the populace. Some of them even recruit young children and commit group suicides, all technically voluntary activities that the People's Republic would be prohibited from stopping if this resolution should pass.

Ironically enough, He didn't. Let me give you the quote in contexts.
The foundation of irreligious criticism is: Man makes religion, religion does not make man. Religion is, indeed, the self-consciousness and self-esteem of man who has either not yet won through to himself, or has already lost himself again. But man is no abstract being squatting outside the world. Man is the world of man – state, society. This state and this society produce religion, which is an inverted consciousness of the world, because they are an inverted world. Religion is the general theory of this world, its encyclopaedic compendium, its logic in popular form, its spiritual point d’honneur, its enthusiasm, its moral sanction, its solemn complement, and its universal basis of consolation and justification. It is the fantastic realization of the human essence since the human essence has not acquired any true reality. The struggle against religion is, therefore, indirectly the struggle against that world whose spiritual aroma is religion.
Religious suffering is, at one and the same time, the expression of real suffering and a protest against real suffering. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people.
The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is the demand for their real happiness. To call on them to give up their illusions about their condition is to call on them to give up a condition that requires illusions. The criticism of religion is, therefore, in embryo, the criticism of that vale of tears of which religion is the halo.
Criticism has plucked the imaginary flowers on the chain not in order that man shall continue to bear that chain without fantasy or consolation, but so that he shall throw off the chain and pluck the living flower. The criticism of religion disillusions man, so that he will think, act, and fashion his reality like a man who has discarded his illusions and regained his senses, so that he will move around himself as his own true Sun. Religion is only the illusory Sun which revolves around man as long as he does not revolve around himself.
a left social libertarian (all on a scale 0-10 with a direction: 0 centrist 10 extreme)

You are a cosmopolitan Social Democrat. 16 percent of the test participators are in the same category and 5 percent are more extremist than you.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:08 am

ALMF wrote:Thees two contradict each-other. The epistemology "faith" and supernatural existential claims INHERENTLY infringe on the rights of nonbelievers and followers of other sects for that matter.

In order to make that charge stick, Ambassador, you'd have to believe that freedom of speech INHERENTLY infringes on the right of anyone who disagrees with the speech in question! How can such an absurd notion lead to good governance?
Ambassador Pro Tem
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Antonomasia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Antonomasia » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:12 am

We have been directed by the Antonomasia Government to fully oppose this resolution by all available means. The Antonomasia people do not feel that people have a right to delusions.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:15 am

ALMF wrote:/snip/

I dunno who this wordy-ass fella is that you're all talking about, but here's what I say in response: the surest way to entice someone to investigate and embrace something interesting is to forbid it. Religion is like any other drug: prohibition is not only abhorrent, it doesn't even goddamn work. And its side effects are worse than the alleged disease it fails to cure.
Ambassador Pro Tem
Illustrious Bum #279

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:16 am

I do wonder why the Ambassador has such an obsession with quick submissions. What ever happened to resolution writing being a marathon not a sprint? Is there much point in the Ambassador even using this chamber anyone, one must ask oneself.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

ALMF
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby ALMF » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:19 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
ALMF wrote:Thees two contradict each-other. The epistemology "faith" and supernatural existential claims INHERENTLY infringe on the rights of nonbelievers and followers of other sects for that matter.

In order to make that charge stick, Ambassador, you'd have to believe that freedom of speech INHERENTLY infringes on the right of anyone who disagrees with the speech in question! How can such an absurd notion lead to good governance?

Not at all, we merely have a reasonableness stander on free speech. This stranded was implemented when a holy water inclusion in city water lead to 80% kill rate in the old capitile. This occurred 2 schisms, and 4 millennium, agoe but it still holds as a major presedent.

Antonomasia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Antonomasia » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:21 am

Sanctaria wrote:I do wonder why the Ambassador has such an obsession with quick submissions. What ever happened to resolution writing being a marathon not a sprint? Is there much point in the Ambassador even using this chamber anyone, one must ask oneself.

I agree this Ambassador has a plethora of drafts currently in the works. It is perplexing how we can trust that the adequate time and energy will devoted to ensuring a sound resolution is drafted before presentation for quorum

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:25 am

ALMF wrote:Not at all, we merely have a reasonableness stander on free speech. This stranded was implemented when a holy water inclusion in city water lead to 80% kill rate in the old capitile. This occurred 2 schisms, and 4 millennium, agoe but it still holds as a major presedent.

Oh yeah, because holding a belief in one's head is basically the same thing as committing mass murder by poisoning a municipal water supply.

Vin glances over to Ambassador Fungschlammer's desk. How 'bout it, Ambassador? Any reading yet?
Ambassador Pro Tem
Illustrious Bum #279

ALMF
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby ALMF » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:29 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
ALMF wrote:Not at all, we merely have a reasonableness stander on free speech. This stranded was implemented when a holy water inclusion in city water lead to 80% kill rate in the old capitile. This occurred 2 schisms, and 4 millennium, agoe but it still holds as a major presedent.

Oh yeah, because holding a belief in one's head is basically the same thing as committing mass murder by poisoning a municipal water supply.

Vin glances over to Ambassador Fungschlammer's desk. How 'bout it, Ambassador? Any reading yet?

To accept that faith is an acceptable basses for action is to risk the accidental mass poisoning of entire cities.

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:31 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:

"Woah!

"Ahem. I have to agree with the sentiment of Ambassador Carson. There is presently a queue of two resolutions, another looking like making quorum. There would be no point rushing this to vote anyway - even if it weren't for the fact it is obviously in need of substantial discussion."

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:35 am

Resolution #30: Freedom of Expression
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:41 am

ALMF wrote:To accept that faith is an acceptable basses for action is to risk the accidental mass poisoning of entire cities.

But do you have thought police, or do you simply prohibit overt acts of murder and crime the way every nation does? To accept that faith is not an acceptable basis for action is to risk the intentional descent into a witch-hunting, Secular-Inquisition-run police state. It's not like you can force someone to stop believing something, barring massive involuntary psychiatric treatments; and if such treatments are commonly given to religious persons in your country, I have to sympathize more with your terrorists than with your government!
Ambassador Pro Tem
Illustrious Bum #279

Rotwood
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Rotwood » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:03 pm

Jericho pours over the existing legislation "Sorry, but we have to oppose this. There is layers upon layers of existing legislation which would cover this already. FoE and CoCR are just two such examples."
Ambassadors Jericho Reigns and Felicia Honeysworth, The Discordant Harmony of Rotwood
Taleta Ouin Vyda - Decide Your Fate
Rotan Swear Jar Tally: 28 Pax
Economic Left/Right: -4.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:18 pm

Kryozerkia wrote:Resolution #30: Freedom of Expression

I believe there is already language in this proposal that is not duplicative of GAR #30: that resolution simply makes it illegal for member nations to stifle the expression of religious views. In other words, it's a protection of free speech, with particular citations of various subjects of protected speech, which must include descriptions of religious belief. Meanwhile, GAR #35 (CoCR) only prohibits discrimination on the basis of religion; it doesn't confer a positive right to worship.

This resolution would require member nations to allow all those forms of actual worship (ceremonies, rites, etc. - actual religious practice) that do not harm others. I read this resolution as, for example, requiring the relaxation of anti-drug laws where consenting adult members of a given denomination would use an otherwise illegal drug as part of their sacred rites. Thus this goes beyond the protections established in GAR #30 and #35, and should be viewed as a resolution in its own right.
Ambassador Pro Tem
Illustrious Bum #279

Lemonacia
Envoy

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lemonacia » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:09 pm

Supported. While we discourage religion in Lemonacia, almost all of my citizens, including myself, actively pursue spirituality in some form, usually through meditation or creative works.

If someone wishes to explore their spirituality through religion, I would not stand in their way.

However, if they began to infringe the rights of others in any manner... steps would be taken. Unofficial steps. Taken in steel toe-capped boots.

One criticism, however; I'd like to see some mandates within your draft that give people the right to refuse religion.

We have many extremely pious member states, and while I certainly would not say this is a bad thing, I would say that forcing someone to follow a religion is a bad thing.

Perhaps name this "Religious Rights" instead and cover things more broadly?
Last edited by Lemonacia on Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador Graham Wakefield.
Representitive of the peaceful republic of Lemonacia.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly