NATION

PASSWORD

International Basketball Championships IX (RP/Roster/Scores)

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:38 pm

Aurelia Golden Coliseum, Milita, Carasatoga:

The waiting is over and once more two rivals will clash.

Sarzonia and Qazox will meet for the second consecutive time in the IBC championship.

One team has been there so often, they should just name the trophy after Henry West.

One team came so close to glory, but fell short. Will redemption come about?

The top two ranked teams in the world, the 2 'underdogs" in the semifinals, the last two left.

One final meeting between two nations that have all but been enemies.

Only one team will take home the 9th International Basketball Championship.

Will it be a team of Stars, or a bunch of Raving Idiots?

Either way, History will be made in Carasatoga.
Wikipage/Qazox National Football Team
Qualified for World Cups 31, 33, 35-50, 54-59, 61, 62. Runners-up: CoH 52
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 22, 2004
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sarzonia » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:37 pm

After the Sarzonian national basketball team had a chance to process the aftermath of their comeback 84-80 win in Game 3 against Cassadaigua to clinch their seventh consecutive trip to the International Basketball Championships IX finals, the Stars began to show some of their customary intensity.

Almost no sooner than the Stars began to arrive in their hotel rooms after the match did they begin to don those dour, intense looks they are often known to have. There was a normal intensity level whenever they got set to play a final series, but then, there was a higher level of focus.

To figure out why, all you had to do was mention the opponent.

Them. They Who Shall Not Be Named. The Raving Idiots were smart enough to knock out a previously undefeated side in two straight matches, giving them the all important Christmas Day and Boxing Day rest days while the Stars had a match against top seed and fellow previously undefeated Cassadaigua.

Much has been made about Frank Johnson, the so-called homeless bum who has guided the Raving Idiots to this point in the championship. They Who Shall Not Be Named have confounded their country's experts and some basketball purists with their 14-1 record a cycle after losing to the Stars in the final.

Yeah, and some of it might even be complimentary.

"The results speak for themselves," said Sarzonia Coach Henry West, who will guide the Stars to the finals once again. West has managed to take the Stars into the finals each time the team has competed in the IBC. The only two times the Stars have not been in the IBC was during The Great Isolation, when Sarzonia was not sending anyone out of the country.

West said he wasn't thinking about the potential end to his career, but Dagan power forward Amber Reardon may well have been doing the thinking for him. She mentioned several times in her blogs prior to and during the series between the Pink and Black and the Navy and Silver that West had announced his intent to retire after the finals. Win or lose, West would not be prowling the sidelines again.

"Our focus is on winning a championship. Nothing more, nothing less," West said.

There is very clearly history to consider. If Sarzonia were to win the IBC title in this last go-round for West, it would mark the fourth championship in seven tries for West and his team. It would also mean the Stars would become the first team to win three consecutive championships and would further distance themselves as the greatest basketball playing nation in the world.

"The Starblaydia of international basketball," one pundit exclaimed when looking at Sarzonia's record. Another one shook her head, saying that would be disrespectful to the Stars.

"We might as well say that Starblaydia are the Sarzonia of international football at this rate," she said.

Reardon also said in her blog that she strongly disagreed with an opinion expressed by Sarzonian basketball analyst Paul Clayton, who said Sarzonia's dominance in basketball is "almost in Valanora territory in football." Reardon wrote, "The Stars’ dominance exceeds the aforementioned Vanorian terrirory," she wrote, just prior to noting West's retirement, then describing him as "a legend."

Perhaps West is, but he also would point out the stellar IBC career of shooting guard Chris Draden, who has played a major role in every IBC final the Stars have played in.

If there are any naysayers left to cast doubt on the Sarzonian basketball programme, they do have one statistic they can point to: A relatively mediocre 10-7 record in finals matches. Consecutive sweeps at the hands of Newmanistan and Sibirsky dropped Sarzonia's record to 4-6 in finals matches. Of course, the Stars had only one title in four tries at the time.

Of course, the sense of urgency the Stars are feeling extends beyond trying to send West out a winner. Several players have said privately that this would be their last International Basketball Championships, with point guard Brandon Collins sounding the most cryptic.

"All good things come to an end," he said. "This is the time to remember, it will not last forever. These are the days to hold onto, but we won't although we'll want to. This is the time, but times are going to change."

[OOC 1: Anyone (besides Delaclava if he's even reading this) who gets the song quote I had Collins give wins a cyber cookie.

OOC 2: I think naming the trophy after Henry West is a great idea. Of course, I might be biased. Anyone want to discuss it in the OOC thread?]
First WCC Grand Slam Champion
NSWC Hall of Fame Inductee (post-World Cup 25)
Former WLC President. He/him/his.

Our trophy case and other honours; Our hosting history

Cassadaigua
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 19, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Cassadaigua » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:32 am

Amber’s Space

Our rooms were quiet last night. There were no words that could be said that would make us feel better about things. We have, after all, been eliminated by the same team, at the same stage of the tournament, as we were in the last Classic. We’re a team that’s young enough overall for many if not most to be back for another chance, but it won’t be the same. The media tells us its time to prepare for Valladares, but we’re done. There’s no sugar coating that, peeps. We’re done. I thank all of you for your wonderful support throughout the tournament. We’ll show up against Valladares and just have fun. We’ll be home soon.

I know that for Henry West, this is just a step towards his goal and there is still much more he needs to do to win a championship. But for a moment at least, I hope he enjoyed the sincerity of our post-game handshakes with him. The man is a legend and while he will go down as winning titles for Sarzonia, he has won titles for the great game of basketball as well. As a basketball player, I salute you for all you have done, Henry West. If it couldn't be us that knocked you out, then it should be no one. Especially not a bunch of Raving Idiots.

As for us; This fate is like a cold beach on a winter afternoon. But we'll hold on to our dreams of a title close like the summer sun. All warm for the vision of the days to come.
NS Sports’ only World Cup, World Bowl, World Cup of Hockey, World Baseball Classic and International Basketball Championships winner!

(Motorsports, college basketball, and volleyball, too)

Specific Titles: World Cup 50, 51; WBC 14, 16, 19, 50 & 58; WB 8, 22, & 40; WCOH 11 & 39; IBC 13.
Also: CR 40 & 43; CoH 39; Swamp Soccer 4, RTC WC 18 & 19; WVE 6; NSCAA 3, 5 & 9; NSSCRA 7
Runner Up: CoH 40, CR 37, 38 & 41; WB 21, WcoH 8, IBC 12, WBC 13, 15, 47 & 48, DBC 21.
WC Qualified for: 45, 46, 49-61, 67, 79 (DNP WC 69-77), 81-90, 92.
XIII Summer Olympiad: 2nd Most Medals
Hosted: WC 54, 67, 84 & 88; CoH 57 & 73, BoF 47, CR 30, WB 16, WBC 18, 26, 40, 45 & 50, NSCAA, NSCH 1; WLC 7, 30 & 33.

Carasatoga
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Carasatoga » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:16 pm

RP Cutoff!
The Carasatoga Authority Republic
Demonym: Carasatogan || Population: 32,526,307 || Trigramme: CRG || Located: Rushmore

Champions: U-18 IBC 1, Women's Soccer World Cup I
Runners-Up: Volleyball World Expo I, II & VI, West Guiana Softball Invite II
3rd Place: World Softball Classic, Saugeais Baseball Tournament, Volleyball World Expo III & IV, Beaver Cup, Lake Moritz Curling Gloriakos
Hosted: IBC IX, Volleyball World Expo I, II, III & VI, World Indoor Soccer Championship 1, U-18 IBC 1, Lake Moritz Curling Gloriakos

Rankings:
Football: NR Basketball: 26 Baseball: 50 Beach Soccer: 54 Ice Hockey: NR
Indoor Soccer: 10 Lacrosse: 46 Soccer: NR Softball: 3 Volleyball: 3

Carasatoga
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Carasatoga » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:36 pm

Finals Match 1 Score
Qazox 66
Sarzonia 101

Consolation Match 1 Score
Cassadaigua 70
Valladares 66

BotR Semifinals	Score
Sibirsky 103
Altimarus 69

Mangolana 66
Civil Citizenry 86

Wednesday, December 28- MD20
Final Match 2
Sarzonia v Qazox (Sarzonia leads series 1-0)
Consolation Match 2
Valladares v Cassadaigua (Cassadaigua leads series 1-0)
BotR Final Match 1
Sibirsky v Civil Citizenry @ Tide Stadium
BotR Consolation
Mangolana v Altimarus @ Tide Stadium
Thursday, December 29- MD21
Final Match 3
Qazox v Sarzonia
Consolation Match 3 (if needed)
BotR Final Match 2
Civil Citizenry v Sibirsky @ Tide Stadium
Friday, December 30- MD22
Final Match 4 (if needed)
BotR Final Match 3 (if needed)
Saturday, December 31- MD23
Final Match 5 (if needed)

Stadia
Best of the Rest Tournament:
Tide Stadium, Newport
Capacity: 9,600

Olympic Stadium, Queenstown
Capacity: 10,000

Finals/Consolation:
Aurelia Golden Coliseum, Milita
Capacity: 35,000 (Basketball court in place of volleyball court)

Scores will be late again tomorrow.
Demonym: Carasatogan || Population: 32,526,307 || Trigramme: CRG || Located: Rushmore

3rd Place: World Softball Classic, Saugeais Baseball Tournament, Volleyball World Expo III & IV, Beaver Cup, Lake Moritz Curling Gloriakos
Hosted: IBC IX, Volleyball World Expo I, II, III & VI, World Indoor Soccer Championship 1, U-18 IBC 1, Lake Moritz Curling Gloriakos

Rankings:

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Postby Sarzonia » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:11 pm

It's almost as if the Sarzonian national basketball team has set out to make a statement in the last two opening matches of their last two series in the ninth International Basketball Championships.

Except for the first half of Game 1 of their quarterfinal series against Yesopalitha, the Stars have demolished their opponents in either Game 1 of a series or in a lone playoff match up (their Round of 16 victory over Sibirsky). They continued that trend against They Who Shall Not Be Named, riding a tournament high 45 points from Chris Draden and a 20 point, 18 rebound effort from Cole Schooler to a dominating 101-66 victory in Game 1 of the IBC Finals in Aurelia Golden Coliseum in Milita, Carasatoga.

The team's intensity prior to the opening tip was so extreme that Coach Henry West admitted afterward that he briefly toyed with the idea of calling timeout shortly after the opening tap, which was won by the Stars. They won pretty much everything else about the match, too, starting the match on a 22-4 run that threatened to empty the arena of all but Stars supporters and the biggest basketball junkies in the multiverse.

"In all my years of basketball, I don't know if I can count on more than one hand the number of times a team I've coached has been that focused," West said. "We looked like we were out for blood."

Sarzonia built a 24-point lead after one quarter, then stretched it to 30 by halftime. Draden refused his coach's request to sit out the remainder of the match on three separate occasions and ended up logging 36 minutes. He hit on 18-of-33 from the field, including four-of-six from three-point range. He was also 5-for-5 from the free throw line.

"It's no secret we can't stand them," Draden said. "I wanted to go out and show the basketball world that whether we go away sometime in the future or not, we want to go out with a championship for Coach West." Not to mention atonement for Draden's relatively dismal performances in the last two matches of the semifinals against Cassadaigua.

Draden scored a total of 10 points in Game 3 after a 13-point effort in Game 2. However, Draden was able to build on momentum gained from scoring the final eight points of Game 3, which turned a certain defeat into an dramatic victory and left the Dagan players stunned.

Sarzonia (15-2) extended their lead to 34 points after the third quarter, during which West emptied his bench, except for a replacement for Draden. Schooler logged 29 minutes and capped off his night by hitting a rare three-pointer at the top of the key with 8:36 remaining in the fourth quarter.

By then, Draden could have played centre against the Raving Idiots and it wouldn't have mattered. They Who Shall Not Be Named fell to 14-2 with the shellacking, and the team played as if each member was missing an arm the way They Who Shall Not Be Named Coach Frank Johnson is. Mike Jordan led the Raving Idiots with 12 points on four-for-14 shooting. No other Raving Idiots player scored more than 11.

West reiterated his stance that Game 1 of a series was vital, even though he conceded that a best-of-five series didn't carry the same urgency that a best-of-three series did.

"In a best-of-three, if you lose the first match, you're already facing elimination," he said. "Two bad nights in a row and you're done. In a best-of-five format, you can recover from a loss in Game 1, but you still face some pressure."

One thing the Stars didn't seem to face in this match was fatigue. Some prognosticators could point to the fact the Stars had to play Game 3 against Cassadaigua the night before as a disadvantage compared to the well-rested Raving Idiots, who were off since they completed a two-game sweep of Valladares. The Stars played as if they had plenty of rest, while The Raving Idiots looked like they had too much Christmas dinner.

"Coach West didn't make us go through a full practice after last night," Schooler said. "We just did film study and then a walk through today. We felt as though that gave us enough rest."

Everyone in the locker room acknowledged that rest prior to Game 1 may have been the only rest this Stars team will get. Unlike the result of Game 1 of the semifinal series against Cassadaigua, a 26-point victory for the fourth seeded Stars, no one in the locker room would comment on the potential psychological effect of losing Game 1 by 35 points.

"We need to be ready to take their best shot," West said. "They'll be primed for revenge and they'll have some wounded pride."

"They will play desperate," Draden said. "We've got to be ready to exceed their intensity once again."

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:52 pm

It got ugly early and for once, the Raving Idiots could not muster even a sniff of a comeback, losing 101-66 in Game one of the Finals against Sarzonia. Coach Henry West, whom many think the IBC championship trophy should be named after, was kind enough to dump the bench late in the 3rd quarter, but unless West himself was the only one on the floor, Qazox wasn't going to cut into the deficit. Once again, the gap in talent between the two teams isn't that great, but Henry West is one of the best coaches in the world, as the Stars were more ready for this game than Qazox was. Perhaps it was a bit of rust, as Qazox hadn't had to play an extra game to get here, but the performance tonight showed that if Qazox is ever going to win the IBC title, they cannot afford to have any games like this one in the future.

SAR  36 24 25 26 101
QZX 12 18 17 19 66

Qazox starting 5:
Reggie Mata- 11 points, 6 assists, 3 rebounds, 2 steals
David Palmer- 11 points, 4 assists, 2 steals, 2 rebounds
Roger Malden- 11 points, 6 rebounds, 2 steals
Mike Jordan- 12 points, 6 rebounds, 2 blocks, 1 steal
Ian Dean- 11 points, 7 rebounds, 2 blocks
Regina Heinz- 4 points, 1 steal
Saul Horowitz: 6 points, 1 assist, 1 rebound
Attendence: 35,413 (101.2% capacity)
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Postby Sarzonia » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:28 pm

[OOC: The opinions expressed here are solely those of this very ungrateful character. They do not reflect my views on this tournament or its host, who is doing an admirable job, especially given the circumstances with which he had to take over.]

Oh great, just what I always fucking wanted.

I didn't go to J-school in fucking Somerset to get sent to the dregs of the sporting world, but here I am. I guess while I wait to eventually get Travis West's beat at The Woodstock Daily Mail and cover the national team, I get stuck reporting on the toilet bowl, er, I mean the Best Of The Rest tournament here at this little dump in Newport.

Guess I'm not such a young fucking stud after all. I'm just a hopeless dud who only gets the crap assignments. C'mon, at least throw me a bone and let me cover the lacrosse team or something cool. But no, I get to report on the teams who get to shout out "we're number 7" or some stupid shit like that.

If you've gotten this far and you're wondering who the fuck I am, so do I sometimes. Anyway, my name is Jimmy Barclay, and I just graduated six months ago from Portland City College's journalism program, which my mothers were told was one of the more prestigious in the country. I earned solid marks, ending up with a 3.6 out of 4 and I had a six-month internship at the Woodstock bureau of The Portland Press-Herald that led me to get some solid contacts.

I couldn't get a job at either of the two newspapers of record in Sarzonia, so I'm working for The Carthage Clarion. Oh well, it could be worse. After all, I could be in Newmanistan trying to deal with their ugly ass hookers or in Quintessence of Dust watching that sorry excuse for porn they got. Or I could deal with Cassadaigua and that matriarchal society. I mean, seriously, men have to fight for equality over there. Can you fucking believe it?

Look, it's not like I have to be in Sarzonia to cover something or even that I have to cover a Sarzonian team. I'd be perfectly happy if I got that job at the Catherina bureau of The Portland Press-Herald. It's not like Delaclava is all that different from Sarzonia. In fact, I don't even think it's very different at all. The only things that I remember being different is they drive on the right side of the road and they don't have the death penalty. Oh, and I could smoke as much weed as I can get my hands on. I have several friends in Catherina. I'd have a blast.

Oh well, since I'm stuck here reporting on the Best of the Rest Tournament, I suppose I should report on what we have right now. Sibirsky, whom the Stars knocked out in the Round of 16, will face Civil Citizenry in the finals of the Best of the Rest Tournament. The Citiz finished third in the previous International Basketball Championships and hosted them. Sibirsky beat us in IBC 6 and we beat them in IBC 7, but they didn't send a team in IBC 8 due to a strike. That absence seems to have hurt the Capitalizt, who lost their group to a newcomer country whom we beat in the quarterfinals.

As for the Best of the Rest consolation tournament, Altimarus will face Mangolana in a single consolation match. Whoever wins that match will claim seventh place. The Citiz and the Capitalizt will battle it out for fifth. Meanwhile, Cassadaigua crushed the living shit out of Valladares, giving the former undefeated team their third straight loss. I sure hope the Best of the Rest final is a sweep so I can at least get in the arena to see something. Although the Stars are facing They Who Shall Not Be Named, I almost want to see that series go the full five and then we pull it out.

Meanwhile, I've got to deal with this fucking awful assignment. Yah me. Maybe I should have taken Mom's and Mom's advice and become a banker. At least then they wouldn't send me to this fucking hellhole with a $25 per diem. I can't even get a good Chicken Woodstock for that price around here. Come to think of it, I can't get a good anything to eat around here for this per diem. I had to ask Uncle Kevin to wire me $200 so I could eat a decent meal.

Maybe Mom #2 was right after all. Maybe I should learn to cook. At least there are some cheap frozen meals at the local convenience store and at least I can eat some of that slop they call food in the media rooms. Though I hear from my buddy Chris Astor that the stuff they serve in Aurelia Golden Coliseum is fucking sweet. I guess they pulled out all the stops for Sarzonian and that other team's media. Meanwhile, we get the leftovers.

FML.

Carasatoga
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Carasatoga » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:13 pm

RP Cutoff! Sarzonia, I thought it was funny. Newport is an island city actually across the bay from Milita, but it isn't really that large, around 22,000 people, and it doesn't have much there except for the university and a couple pro teams.

Rankings:

Carasatoga
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Carasatoga » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:29 pm

Finals Match 2 Score
Sarzonia 81
Qazox 73

Consolation Match 2 Score
Valladares 73
Cassadaigua 68

BotR Finals Match 1 Score
Sibirsky 76
Civil Citizenry 89

BotR Consolation Score
Mangolana 89
Altimarus 73

Thursday, December 29- MD21
Final Match 3
Qazox v Sarzonia (Sarzonia leads series 2-0)
Consolation Match 3
Cassadaigua v Valladares (Series tied 1-1)
BotR Final Match 2
Civil Citizenry v Sibirsky @ Tide Stadium (Civil Citizenry leads series 1-0)
Final Match 4 (if needed)
BotR Final Match 3 (if needed)
Final Match 5 (if needed)

Stadia
Tide Stadium, Newport

Olympic Stadium, Queenstown
Capacity: 10,000

Finals/Consolation:
Aurelia Golden Coliseum, Milita
Capacity: 35,000 (Basketball court in place of volleyball court)

Rankings:

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:34 pm

It wasn't as bad as game 1, but once again Qazox fell behind early to Sarzonia and now trail the best of 5 series 2-0, meaning Qazox has to do something that has never been done ever. Which is to beat Sarzonia 3 times in a row. Chris Draden followed up has 45 point outburst in Game 1 with 32 points tonight to lead the way for the Stars.

With their backs against the wall, the Raving Idiots need to come out firing on all cylinders in Game 3 to have any chance to get back into the series. But given historical trends, the Stars and Henry West will go out champions in a sweep.

SAR  20 21 22 18 81
QZX 17 20 15 21 73

Qazox starting 5:
Reggie Mata- 9 points, 7 assists, 4 rebounds, 3 steals
David Palmer- 12 points, 4 assists, 3 steals, 4 rebounds
Roger Malden- 16 points, 5 rebounds, 1 steal
Mike Jordan- 22 points, 9 rebounds, 3 blocks
Ian Dean- 14 points, 10 rebounds, 4 blocks
Attendence: 35,000 (100.0% capacity)
Last edited by Qazox on Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Postby Sarzonia » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:58 pm

Tonight's Game 2 might have been much closer than Game 1, but the end result was still the same.

Sarzonia defeated They Who Shall Not Be Named and took a commanding two games to none series lead against the Raving Idiots, leaving their opponents in the difficult position of having to win three consecutive matches against a team that hasn't lost three matches in a row in its history.

As he so often does, Chris Draden led the way for the Stars, scoring a game-high 32 points. His opponent Mike Jordan scored 22, but with Draden dropping a total of 77 points in the first two matches of this series, it's clear who has won the individual match up. For his part, however, Draden brushed off the talk of individual accomplishments.

"This is a team game," Draden said. "None of us would be here without a complete effort on the parts of everyone on this team. It takes a full roster of guys to do the things we've done."

It took a full roster for Sarzonia (16-2) to assert itself in this one. Draden drew two quick fouls in the first quarter and actually sat for long stretches of the half. He ended the half with six points, while point guard Brandon Collins stepped into the fray and scored 21 points while dishing 10 assists. Unlike previous interviews in which Collins sounded more poetic, he was direct this time.

"We needed someone to step in with Chris in foul trouble," Collins said. "I decided that it would be me tonight."

The rest seemed to give Draden some fresh legs in the second half, as he poured in 18 of his 26 second half points in the third quarter. He was all over the court, scoring from three-point range, slashing the lane for lay ups and stealing passes to lead to breakaway dunks.

"The last two matches, Chris has been playing at another level," said Coach Henry West, who for the fifth time in seven trips to the finals has his team one win away from hoisting the championship trophy. Only once have the Stars failed to win in that situation, when the Stars lost the fourth International Basketball Championships final to Newmanistan.

As it stands now, the Stars have the chance to become not only the first team in IBC history to win three straight titles and four overall, they also have the opportunity to become the only team in IBC history to have never lost three straight matches. Media from They Who Shall Not Be Named have pointed out in each of the past two finals that the Stars have never lost three straight matches in their history. That fact wasn't lost on West, but he said the Stars could not rest on their laurels.

"That team is not a team we can play with anything less than our most focused effort," West said. "They didn't get to 14-3 for nothing." Even the fact that the Raving Idiots came into the finals with a 14-1 record didn't keep West from emphasising that the Stars still had unfinished business.

"There's a first time for just about everything," West said. "And that team is just too good for us to stop giving everything we have."

When asked if the fact that a victory tomorrow night would mark the final match of West's career would change anything about his approach, the veteran coach shook his head.

"Whether it's my first match or my last, our approach is always the same," West said. "We have a job to do, and we will have a job to do until they tell us our job's done. And that won't be until we can hoist that trophy high in the air."

THe Henry West Trophy?

"Let's not start that, OK?" West said, fidgeting uncomfortably as the question was being asked. "Let's let history decide that."

Carasatoga
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Carasatoga » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:11 pm

RP Cutoff brought to you by 9 Energy! Will Sarzonia make history, or will Qazox???

Rankings:

Carasatoga
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Carasatoga » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:40 pm

Finals Match 3 Score
Qazox 72
Sarzonia 73

Consolation Match 3 Score
Cassadaigua 82
Valladares 59

BotR Finals Match 2 Score
Civil Citizenry 90
Sibirsky 101

BotR Final Match 3
Sibirsky v Civil Citizenry (Series tied 1-1) @ Tide Stadium
Closing ceremonies and New Years Eve celebration for participants at The Aureli Convention Center and Hotel in South Beach, Carasatoga.

Stadia
Tide Stadium, Newport

Closing Ceremonies:
The Aureli Convention Center and Hotel, South Beach

Congratulations Sarzonia on winning the IBC IX! Also, Great job to Qazox and Cassadaigua!

Rankings:

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:55 pm

Hats off to the Stars and Henry West, as they won their 3rd straight title and beat us twice in a row in the finals. Qazox and the Stars had a classic Game 3, but alas, Chris Draden, who nailed the game-winner with 3.8 seconds left; was just too much for the Raving Idiots. Draden had 31 points tonight, giving him 108 points (36.0 ppg) in the series.

So another IBC has come and gone, and the title remains in Sarzonian hands. But if the rumors are true, that this will be the last IBC Sarzonia will participate in, then the 10th edition should be a scrum for the ages as there are many teams that will battle it out for the title.

QZX  18 20 15 19  72
SAR 20 18 17 18 73

Qazox starting 5:
Reggie Mata- 6 points, 8 assists, 3 rebounds, 5 steals
David Palmer- 10 points, 4 assists, 2 steals, 3 rebounds
Roger Malden- 16 points, 6 rebounds, 1 steal
Mike Jordan- 24 points, 11 rebounds, 3 blocks
Ian Dean- 17 points, 7 rebounds, 2 blocks
Attendence: 35,000 (100.0% capacity)
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Postby Sarzonia » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:09 pm

The scene was very much the same as any championship clinching final, but in some ways it was very, very different.

The Sarzonian national basketball team earned another dramatic victory in the third game of the finals, completing a three-match sweep of They Who Shall Not Be Named with a 73-72 victory that gave the Stars their third straight title and allowed Coach Henry West to end his coaching career with his fourth title overall.

The final buzzer brought Stars players streaming onto the court in a massive pile as they celebrated a championship that certainly ranks among the most special in the storied history of Sarzonian sporting competitors. The difference lay in West’s reaction. Assistant coach Matt Walton shook the hand of Raving Idiots Coach Frank Johnson while West sobbed.

“It’s really over,” he said. “It was just a flood of emotions, knowing that this is the last time I’ll get to coach this team. It’s definitely happy because of how well this team played all throughout this tournament, but it’s going to be hard because I enjoy this bunch of players very much.”

The victory brought Sarzonia not just a place in history in basketball. Experts could make the case that this Stars team was the most dominant in any sport. Some of the biggest dynasties in other sports had moments when they faded from the spotlight. AOCAF's recently dominant Pacitalia was just eliminated in the group stages. A Valanora side who once dominated the World Cup has fallen short of their heyday.

Not so these Stars. The worst finish in Sarzonian basketball history were two-match sweeps in the finals of the fifth and sixth IBCs. The Stars have established such a stranglehold on the top rank that they may even hold on to it if they don't send a team to the next one.

The Stars have had a chance at the game’s ultimate prize seven times out of nine overall tournaments. The only two times Sarzonia hasn't competed for the finals were the first two tournaments when Sarzonia did not send a team. Sarzonia lost only to Newmanistan (twice) and Sibirsky. They have an overall record of 13-7 in finals matches.

Chris Draden pumped in 31 points on 13-of-19 shooting to clinch most valuable player honours with a total of 108 points in the three matches (36 points per game). He was the only Stars player who did not join the dogpile. He hugged West when the retiring coach finally had a chance to smile about the team’s accomplishments.

“Coach has been such an important part of our success,” Draden said. “I can’t imagine going to war with anyone else as the coach.”

Even Walton, who would likely be the heir apparent if the Stars were to continue their basketball programme, agreed.

“If I were named coach of this team, it would be very difficult to step into the giant shadow Henry cast,” he said. “I have learned so much, but there are certain things only he can pull off. I can’t explain it. He just has a special knack with this team.”

When historians look to place this team in the context of great teams of the past, the IBC VII champion Stars may have had a better record at 19-2, but this team is best known for throwing some haymakers for knockout punches against some of the best teams the world has to offer.

“They may have been a four seed, but they had all the swagger of a team that won three titles,” said basketball analyst Paul Clayton. “There are several teams here that could have won the championship if Sarzonia weren’t playing. But you put the Stars in this bracket and they didn’t have a chance. Not this time.”

One undercurrent for this tournament's team was the false start for the tournament when original hosts Mytannion unilaterally withdrew Sarzonia from the tournament. The decision drew a massive international outcry and led several nations to announce their intention to withdraw from the tournament. Mytannion eventually withdrew as hosts, leading to Carasatoga taking over hosting duties.

“Yeah, that would be accurate,” Draden said when asked if the title was a rejoinder to Mytannion organisers. “They were scared to have us compete. They knew we could bring this home.” Draden held the trophy in front of him.

“In your face, bitches!” he shouted.

Looking ahead to IBC X, the favourites seem to be third place winners Cassadaigua or two-time defending finalists Qazox. Or perhaps hotshot debutantes Yesopalitha will grab the mantle? Or will Sibirsky recover their form from IBC VI and regain the title?

But that is a topic for another day. For right now, the Stars jet is about to set its course for the team’s ultimate destination. It might be a ride off into the sunset, or into the mists of a now dead nation. But for one more night, at least, the Stars will be able to celebrate their place in history as the best team basketball has ever seen.

This Sarzonian team definitely will go down in history just before it becomes a part of history.

Carasatoga
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Carasatoga » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:40 pm

RP Cutoff for the final match of the IBC IX in Carasatoga. Thanks to everyone for allowing on me, and counting on me to pick up the tournament after Mytannion's decision. I hope it was a great tournament and for the next one I hope I can perform better (as a team).

Rankings:

Carasatoga
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Carasatoga » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:46 pm

BotR Finals Match 3 Score
Sibirsky 75
Civil Citizenry 59

Closing ceremonies and New Years Eve celebration for participants at The Aureli Convention Center and Hotel in South Beach, Carasatoga.

Stadia
Closing Ceremonies:
The Aureli Convention Center and Hotel, South Beach

Rankings:

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports