NATION

PASSWORD

Games of the VI Olympiad - RP thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Civil Citizenry
Minister

Founded: Dec 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Civil Citizenry » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:10 pm

Rapport d'Olympique Rushmori

Rapport d'Olympique Rushmori est un site à jour quotidienne que Civil Citizenry et le reste de Rushmore des Jeux olympiques de Lasft - en français. Le site web est créé et géré par trois Citiz qui sont nativement Cotdelapomais et dont la langue principale est le français. Toutefois, les articles qui sont écrits par des non-français haut-parleurs (qui constituent la majorité des articles) sont disponibles en anglais.

Nous avons interviewé tennis athlète d'Olympique Citiz Ihihir Kavevon et Kagdaz Tamara Raskolnikova.

ROR: It is such an honor to have the women's singles Olympic gold and silver medalists here today, Ihihir and Tamara. Ihihir, let's start with you. There's been so much attention around you since you won the gold; you appeared on Grilled Brie for 3, and you were even interviewed by Zwangzugian commentator Stan. Have the last few days been sort of a whirlwind for you?
IK: Yeah, it's been just crazy. Being in Lasft, you know, it's like the entire world has set up shop here, and once I won that gold everyone wanted to hear from me. But for the most part, it's been a lot of fun - I've tried to stay in the moment and go with the flow. Like, with Stan, obviously he's a funny, quirky guy, so I tried to stay light on my feet and crack some jokes back at him. With Grilled Brie for 3, there's a lot of dysfunction and just overall craziness, and I was able to adapt to the scenery there, too. I'm having a blast with it all.

ROR: Tamara, it's been quite a few days for you as well. Kagdazka and Pazhujebu certainly isn't known for its tennis, yet you made an astounding run to the Olympic final and even took Ihihir to five sets. How have you been dealing with all the attention?
TR: Pretty well, yeah. I still find it hard to believe that I got that far, and even challenged Ihihir to really win the match. But I think I've been able to keep a pretty cool head, while also taking advantage of the marketing opportunities. Like I said on Grilled Brie for 3, I'm starting my own perfume line, Cerulean Topspin, which I think is going to be pretty popular since it has the Raskolnikova name attached to it. And you know, I've just been soaking in the awesomeness of winning the silver medal and really elevating Kagdazka to a pretty good tennis country.

ROR: Ihihir, when you girls were on Grilled Brie for 3 Tamara asked you to join her in the industry of perfume-making. Have you thought more about that since then?
IK: Yeah, and as enticing as that is, I've decided to say no for now. I really want to take this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to help Citiz tennis grow even more than it has already since we won the World Team Tennis Cup. I'm not going to retire, but I'll be heading back to my hometown of Brooken [a wealthy Comesby suburb] to create a new tennis academy there. It's going to focus mostly on juniors, and I hope that it will become one of the country's leading tennis schools. Tamara has even generously donated a lot of money to help get the school off the ground, so - and I'm sharing this for the first time - it will be called the Kavevon-Raskolnikova Academy.
TR: Really?! That's so sweet, Ihihir, thank you so much.
IK: No, thank you for the donation. Your name deserves to adorn the school with mine.

ROR: That sounds wonderful, I'm sure Civil Citizenry can't wait to hear more about this new academy. Ihihir, what did you do first after you won the gold medal match?
IK: Well, I walked into the locker room, got a couple of huge hugs from my mom and dad, and then I texted my little brother, who couldn't make the match because of college finals (he's a junior). He texted me back, "CONGRATS!!! That tamara is FAAV lol". So I asked him what FAAV is, and he said, "Fit As Ana Vudovic!" Apparently, it's the hottest slang word across the country ever since Ana decided to do that topless photo shoot in Mytannion.
TR: Those Mytanars are real hooligans, aren't they?
IK: That's what I said! I totally agree.

ROR: One last question, for Tamara: Obviously, the silver medal is probably the greatest accomplishment of your career, but where do you see yourself heading over the next few years?
TR: I've been considering joining the ITA, and I'll need to consult with some people before I make a final decision on that, but it certainly has a lot to offer. I'm also pursuing my side love, fashion, with that perfume line, and more is in the works. I think I'm just going to try and continue playing at this level of tennis, and we'll see what opportunities present themselves and if I can seize them when I need to.
The Independent Conglomerate of Civil Citizenry
Demonym: Citiz || Population: 36,000,000 || Trigramme: CVC || Located: Rushmore || Information: Wikipage · Sports Newswire · Bartewick News Service
"Worst Tweet of the election season:
'Because of the hurricane, I am extending my 5 million dollar offer for President Obama's favorite charity until 12PM on Thursday.' - Donald Trump"

Stachland
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 12, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Stachland » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:39 am

Something had done it. All of a sudden, Stachland’s prospects for a good showing in these Olympic Games seemed very good. Just one silver medal and one bronze medal to show for five days of competition—and now, on the sixth day, the Stachlanders had earned two silvers and a bronze.

It wasn’t quite enough for Rivan Sadow, of course. While the chairperson of the Stachlandic National Olympic Committee was ecstatic over the brilliant performances of gymnasts Anton King and Sharon Weaver and swimmer Luke Hershey on Monday, he would only feel truly accomplished if his delegation achieved a gold medal. He was certain they would. It was only a matter of time.

He had already gotten an email from Majority Leader Shahal Areebuy congratulating his delegation on a successful day. The nation’s executive mentioned trying to get out to Cafundéu to witness the Olympics personally, though his schedule was significantly more crowded now than it was just a year ago, when he was newly elected.

The athletes themselves had a new sort of energy that they had lacked before. Explained Luke Hershey in an interview following his silver medal finish: “It makes me feel a lot better. We have proof of our ability to succeed—plenty of proof—so I think we’re really ready to get in there and show a lot of people what we can do.”

Rivan thought about the day’s events as he packed up his suitcase, preparing to return to Cafundéu to support his athletes. He had been needed in Stachland for administrative reasons, and was ecstatic to finally be able to return to witness the Olympic Games in person.

The big events of the day were in gymnastics and diving. Men’s pommel horse and floor and women’s vault would be decided today, and Stachland had athletes contending for all three. In diving, Wells Altair, twice a medalist at the Water World Championships, would attempt to take the title at the Olympic Games that he had won in the first Water World games nearly three years prior.

There were swimming events as well, Rivan realized, which Stachland had a chance in. So, all in all, today could be another great day for Stachland, just like yesterday was, if everything fell into place. Rivan hoped it did. A gold medal would be the perfect welcome after an excruciating six-hour flight.
POLITICAL COMPASS
Economic: -9.12 | Social: -8.41

ROLEPLAY STATISTICS
Population: 86 million | Modern Technology
One Gold, five Silver, and four Bronze medals at the First Water World Championships.
Group runners-up and Round of 8 at Cup of Harmony 47.
Currently hosting the World Air Hockey Championships.

BronyTale

Southern Cynocephali
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Southern Cynocephali » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:55 am

DAY SIX: CAST IN BRONZE

Centro Recreativo Canoa Furada
Canoeing

Men's C-1 Slalom semifinal
-1 Roland Romeyer (SCY) 83.32

Men's C-1 Slalom Final
- F.Run SFRun Total
1 Tomas Ujarvaa (MYT) 83.33 84.73 168.36 G
2 Austin Sinclair (COS) 86.58 83.82 170.40 S
3 Roland Romeyer (SCY) 88.57 83.32 171.89 B
Complexo Aquático Peixe-Boi
Swimming

Men's 100m Freestyle semifinal
3 Romain Rocchi (SCY) 47.65

Men's 100m Freestyle Final
1 Vinsent Ivere (VEK) 47.01 G
2 Luke Hershey (STL) 47.12 S
3 Romain Rocchi (SCY) 47.34 B

Medals! Our delegation can be proud of their efforts on day six as Southern Cynocephali earnt her first ever Olympic medals. Whilst they may only be bronze, they will surely sparkle like gold in the imagination of Cynocephalians everywhere.
Roland Romeyer entered Men's C-1 Slalom semifinal after a decent performance in the heats; but nothing would prepare us for his stunning fastest time in the semis. An error at an early gate cost Romeyer significant time in the final, and he could not recover despite paddling like a man possessed. His final time was one of the slowest, but his remarkable semi final time ensured he became the first ever medal winner for our nation.

Just hours later over at Complexo Aquático Peixe-Boi, and Romain Rocchi equalled the performance with his oar like arms; taking third fastest times in the semi and final of the men's 100m freestyle, earning our second bronze medal in the process. An emotional Rocchi accepted his medal with a look of extreme pride on his face.

Martin Correntin almost made it a third bronze in the men's 200m breaststroke; after sneaking into the final in eight after the semis, he pulled out his best performance of the Games so far, just finishing out of the medals in fourth.
Men's 200m Breaststroke semifinal
8 Martin Corentin (SCY) 2:09.43
Men's 200m Breaststroke Final
4 Martin Corentin (SCY) 2:08.90

Parque Dom Benjamin
Basketball
Southern Cynocephali 63–71 Magoris

Ginásio Monstro do Centro
Handball
Darmen 23–24 Southern Cynocephali

The men's basketball and handball teams were in action today, with a tight win for the latter over Darmen at Ginásio Monstro do Centro. Almost at the bottom of the group, the handball team will now need a miracle to take their Games past the group stage, and should now concentrate on the experience of playing at the biggest sporting tournament in the world. The basketball team went down in a tight match to Magoris, and now sit second in their group. Hopefully this first defeat is just a minor hiccup and the team can return to winning form in order to keep their dreams alive.
UFC - Universidade Federal Cafundelense
Rowing

Men's Coxless Pairs qualification
3 Pierre Silva/Jeffrey Damour (SCY) 6:50.74 Q

Women's Coxless Pairs qualification
1 Jacquie Dossier/Belinda De Rye (SCY) 7:21.84 Q

With the rowing competition underway, our highly rated rowers did not disappoint. Both mens and womens coxless pairs qualified from their heats, in third and first places repectively. Our rowing team looks in good form across the board, and seem eager and confident of challenging the world rowing status quo. Up soon will also be our highly fancied women's coxless fours; the stunning quartet will have been turning heads around the Olympic village and can hopefully do the same in their races at the Universidade Federal Cafundelense.
Praia do Farofeiro
Beach Volleyball

Xordal Gërenebrob/Nenikupu Peraness (CVC) 21 22
Sophie Perrichon/Cindy Thomas (SCY) 16 20

Justine Ferond/Samantha Jaqueton (SCY) 18 14
Aline Lobos/Viviane Apolinário (CAF) 21 21

Praia do Farofeiro was not the place for a Cynocephalian to be on day six, as both our women's teams went down in straight sets. Ferond/Jacqueton were understandably beaten by the local duo of Lobos/Apolinário in a game which they looked the real deal, if only for brief moments. Perrichon/Thomas were disappointing against the Citiz duo of Gërenebrob/Peraness, going down with fight in a tight second set. Thomas and Perrichon were seen in angry discussion with an Olympic official after the match, reportedly complaining 'that the sand was not regulation'. No word has been received on the outcome of this undignified outburst, and it seems the pair may have escaped official sanctions for their ridiculous behaviour. Both women's pairs now find themselves falling off the pace and will find it hard to make the next rounds.
We're on the medal table! See? No, keep looking down. Keep going. There, see!

Ok, we have to admit we're certainly not
T46 Southern Cynocephali (SCY) 0 0 2 2
dominating the Olympic scene, but it is an effort with which both our delegation and supporters will be satisfied. Whatever happens from here is a bonus, and we can only hope that our athletes can continue to surprise with their performances.
Demonyms: Cynoceph (pref.), Cynocephalian, Cyno

Nation on NSWiki
SC Sportswire
APEX Tyres

New Montreal States
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

New Montreal Presse-Journal Devoir: 99% Guaranteed!

Postby New Montreal States » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:56 am

GUY DOUXSEIGNEUR BEST GYMNAST IN MULTIVERSE

Takes gold in men's overall gymnastics

:bow: :clap: :clap: :roll: :blush: :clap: :bow: :shock:

ABOVE: Lasft, Cafundéu - NMS fans react to Douxseigneur's 16.750 rings routine, which gave him a come-from-behind gold medal over Anton King in the Men's Gymnastics Individual finals

LASFT, Cafundéu - Guy Douxseigneur, of New Atwater, won the gold medal in the Men's Individual Gymnastics final, spearheaded by a 16.750 on the high rings and a 16.300 on the high bars.

These last two routines pushed him past Anton King of Stachland, who had taken an early lead while Douxseigneur had struggled through his first three routines, going as low as 14.975 on the vault.

Even after the high bars, King still had the upper hand on Douxseigneur going into the high rings. But King wasn't able to put Douxseigneur away, stumbling to a 14.875 on the rings and leaving Guy with a chance to pull ahead. And Douxseigneur emphatically seized that chance, posting the single highest individual event score of the finals to overtake King.

"Ambrose Bierce was right when he said that sports are a contest to see who is better at something of no value to anyone," said Douxseigneur, when asked for his thoughts about his triumph. "But, never having competed in sports himself, Bierce failed to grasp the value of proficiency in something of no value.

"By continually striving to perfect something of no value, to a wholly arbitrary standard with no intrinsic meaning, I have escaped the chains of the universe wrapped around my soul.

"The source of all human suffering is Man's innate longing for immortality in the face of his own all-too-present mortality. Attempting to leave an immortal legacy on this earth is futile, and everyone inherently knows this, yet compulsively struggles to leave a permanent legacy regardless. By renouncing the struggle for terrestrial immortality, through the entire focus of my mind and body on a series of physical exercises which will have been forgotten within weeks, I can try to escape the physical and mental bonds of the universe we dwell in.

"Only by making oneself completely irrelevant to the universe can one hope to escape it."

ANGELINE MACKENZIE DOMINATES C-1 SLALOM

Finishs first in semis and finals to capture gold

LASFT, Cafundéu - No, seriously, she's really, really good at paddling. "It's a good thing I managed to stay ahead of the other canoes," said Mackenzie. "If I had gotten in an accident, I'd have been in real trouble. I can't even swim."

NORTH-BOYKINS COLLECTS CYCLING SILVER

Completes journey from bicycle messenger to Olympic Hero

LASFT, Cafundéu - Keith North-Boykins, a former bicycle messenger in New Montreal, took the silver in the cycling road race today.

North-Boykins, previously a delivery biker for Saigon Expatriot Vietnamese Restaurant in the middle-class Pointe-Vaillancourt neighborhood, had never biked competitively until 2 years ago, when on the advice of his night-shift manager he entered a 30k road race through the suburbs of Duncanwood, St-Michel-du-Sud and Toitôt. He surprised everyone by winning comfortably and "hasn't look back since," said North-Boykins after descending from the podium.

"To be honest with you," he continued, "there were a couple of moments out there where I could smell spring rolls and beer phô, just like back in the day."
WBC 26 champions!
4th place finishers, World Cup 11; 2nd place finishers World Cup 31; Cup of Harmony 53 winners
Co-hosts of World Cup 28 and Cup of Harmony 16 with The Archregimancy; co-hosts of World Cup 64 and Cup of Harmony 54 with Wight; co-hosts of Cup of Harmony 50 with Vilita

Chenkorya
Senator

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chenkorya » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:56 am

Day 6 - "Just" one medal.

ChenkorSport, your favourite sports magazine, gives you fresh and nice coverage of the Sixth Summer Olympics in Lasft, Cafundéu.

LASFT, CAFUNDÉU - Day 6 in Lasft is finished, and there is one more medal, a silver one won by Kadriya Vandale in equestrian. This is our fifth medal at the moment, and our second silver. But as always, we're gonna start at the beginning of today.

Today started with the women's initial rounds of archery, the ranking rounds had already been. We had three archers participating here, Antonija Quick (or not so good best), Sioned Clarckson and Carlota Vela. Quick lost her match against Irene Paredes from Capitalizt SLANI with just one point difference, while Clarkson lost her match too, with just two points less as Tracy Ledford from Sarzonia. Vela lost her match with some more points difference as the others, she had 6 points less as her opponent Lia from the Iglesian Archipelago. So all the girls did not survived to the third round and are out in the race for a medal.

Second day was the basketball for men, and our team defeated Cassadaigua with 72-65. Our team is one of the worst of the group, but Cassadaigua is even worser so we won. The team of Timotej Aquino's reaction was enthousiastic: "Great, a new step to the top of the group!" We haven't got much faith in this quote of Aquino, but as long they still have hope it is... okay.

Next event with Chenkoryans was the men's time trial, cycling. We did not so good, our best and actually only result was Severianus Venczel placing 58th with 1:06:28. "This is one of my worst times every. I am extremely disappointed." The gold medal was for Lukas Selpert from CKF, silver was for North-Boykins from the New Montreal States and Bergnovinaia was the winner of bronze with Walter Doddy. The women's time trial was today too, and our best... and only result there came from Kortney Márton, finishing with 37:58.17. Gold was for Sorthern Northland's Rebecca Lihou and Melanie Mooney won the silver. Bronze was for Krytenian Maureen Tomassen.

No medals, but better results were for us at the 3m Springboard, diving. Julius Pinheiro and Kaede Akkermans finished sixth with 420.61. Pinheiro: "Nice results, but could have been better. I mean... sixth is no medal, no?" Akkermans and Pinheiro were actually not really contenders for the victory, so they finished higher as expected. The gold medal was for Ruiz and Loera from Sargossa, silver was for Sanderson and Fields from Cosumar and Shofercia was owner of bronze with Surfer and Green.

Then we are at the equestrian event. A few qualifying parts were already finished the days before, and our Kadriya Vandale did good, with qualifying to the individual final at the second place. In the final there was one little fault by Vandale but it was too less to make her finished lower then third place: after a succesful final Vandale finished second, winning Chenkorya's second silver medal after the swimming medal of Li, Admundsen, Traviss and Li. "I am proud to be the second best equestrian athlete of the world, but I am so proud on my horse, that's the most important thing. He will be the king if he comes home in Stephani. This were the best days of my life, and I met such great people, for example Latasha Alejandra from Vulshain, a good friend of me now. Together we will stay here to watch other events and go ride in the woods and nature of Cafundéu. That is also a great advantage of the Olympics: you meet new people from all over the world."

Fencing had Daria Andrews in the finals, but she didn't came further as the first round of it, defeated by Giovanna Zampoli from OSR, who eventually didn't came further as the next round. Andrews: "This is already a much better result as the previous event, but I expected more from this. Next time better luck. A pity." More fencing events later.

Our female hockey team lost from Civil Citizenry today. Three from Chenkies against six from the Citiz wasn't enough to win the match. But the girls won their previous match, so they are still in the race for qualifying, currently being at the third place. Goals made by Wirt, Krebs and Havener. Havener: "I made a goal and Sofiya and Krimhilde did too and we gave everything but to be honest, they were too strong. I must be honest and then I see that we were too weak. Well, we try to win next match."

Handball is a more succesful team sport for us. The "Chicken Wings", the nickname of the Chenkoryan handball team for totally no reason, won their first match against our friends from Albertasby. We didn't expected the Chicken Wings to be defeated by the so called "Rocks" from Albertasby. "The Rocks weren't really rocking us, it was peanuts for us to win the match against Albertasby. Nothing against Albertasby, the Albertasbians are awesome people, but not good in sports." says the attractive Bertram Abbascia. The Chicken Wings are at the second place at the moment, under Civil Citizenry, but CC already played two matches, the Chicken Wings just one.

Today the rowing started, one of the nicest sports to look at. Our coxed eights men finished fifth in their heat, two places lower then what was required to qualify. Jason Proudfoot: "Yeah, this is shit." Mantwenic finished first in our heat, Carpathia and Ruthenia second with Michael VII in third place. At the Men's Single Sculls Ivan Fairbairn finished third in his heat, what was enough to qualify for the repechage round. In the repechage round he finished second, good enough to qualify for the final. We'll see more of Fairbarin later. At the Men;s Quadraple Sculls our team, existing out of Fairbairn, Horn, Mcneil and Voigt, finished first in their heat, what gave them a place in the final and a chance for a medal. Fairbairn about both his results: "Well, this is great, let's continue so good!" At the Women's Single Sculls Veronika Winogrodzki finished fourth in her group, what was just enough to qualify for the repechage round, but there she stranded at the fifth place.

Sailer Martin McCune promised us to finish in the top 10 this race of the Heavyweight Dinghy, but he could not make it true. He finished 15th out of 33, still not in the top 10. "Sorry, that was my mistake. I have to think better about my promises, man!"

The volleybal women's were defeated by two strangers from the New Montreal States. "I never heard of them!" is the surprised reply of Eurwen Doubek. "And they just defeated us... Strange, man!"

Bride Tholberg is still second at the golf, with Lëpalön Dergolo of Civil Citizenry at the first place, just one point difference. "Great, maybe I can still get number one, and that would be finally a medal for Chenkorya. What!? We already have a medal? Didn't knew that... Not even in golf? Strange. It doesn't count at the medal table? They didn't told me that!"

That was ChenkorSport for today, tomorrow more coverage from Lasft, with hopefully one or more extra medals! We are currently ranked 21th in the medal tally, one place lower as yesterday, with 1-2-2. Liventia is at one with 5-4-0, Cafundéu second with 4-5-4 and Krytenia and Vekaiyu together at place three with 4-2-4. See you tomorrow!

Akbarabad
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Akbarabad » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:12 am

Flammable idiot fails to win Badminton gold.

(Akbarabad Press, AP): There was a small semblance of justice on day 6 of the games with Sorthern Badminton player "He's on fire" P'yŏng Yong-Ik failing to defend his unearned gold medal from Outineau. Yong-Ik, who had cheated himself to gold on that occasion, was up to his tricks once again, but although his underhanded tactics helped him knock out "The Greatest Badminton Player in the World" earlier, his luck finally ran out in the Final. In case he wants to 'celebrate' his medal by once again lighting himself on fire, we suggest that he do it outside the Olympic Village, in location far away from any fire brigade. We won't object or stop him this time.

In other news, Akbarabad won only a solitary silver medal on day 6 through Fencer Mehnaz Alam in the Women's Épée. Due to a terrible draw, Mehnaz had to face the top Akbarabadi fencer Rumana Parveen as early as the fourth round , and although she won, she ultimately could not carry on to a gold medal. The unfortunate draw deprived us of another bite of the cherry, but statistically it really shouldn't happen again. Hopefully, we have better luck in the Judo events which were not held on the day, but are presumably rescheduled for day 7. The delay should serve our judokas well.

The Kytler Peninsulae
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 26, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Kytler Peninsulae » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:19 am

"Well, let's face it, our weightlifting performance has been ridiculously good," remarked a sports journalist at the Bay City Herald. Two gold medals, one silver, and three bronze medals in one sport. This compared to the grand non-total of one medal for all the other sports combined - although admittedly, it was a shock gold medal in cycling, and in the prestigious men's road race no less.

"And we still have Te Te Huia..."

"And his brother Taki!"

"Yeah, and Taki. Who's the big brother out of those two anyway?"

"I think Taki said he's the big brother and Te is the bigger brother. Anyway, all that, and Rewa Lapasa in the women's unlimited-weight category too. The pressure on her must be ridiculous - she's seen all her team-mates stack up the medals, and none of them got to fly the Kytlerian flag in the opening ceremony..."

"Very true - and I think she's going to crumble, I'm afraid. She's not mentally tough enough, she doesn't look ready, she's been too busy being a role model for some ridiculous multi-cultural ideal..."

"What about Allora Vidiri?"

"Total fluke - nobody performed well in that weight category and she lucked out. I think the boxers and triathletes are going to get the other medals for us. And Viola Harris. Oh, I'd love... LOVE... Viola Harris to get a gold for us..."

"Stop beating around the bush and admit that you're lusting after Viola Harris and you think Rewa Lapasa is ugly because she's a large aboriginal woman!"

"How dare you accuse me of being a racist misogynist?"

"Jack, Jack..."

"What?"

Silence.

"Because you are one."

A pause.

"Crap..."

Jack didn't know how to react. His colleague, Tyler, did. He walked away, recalled Jack's inflammatory prior articles about Lapasa and other non-white Kytlerian sportspeople, remembered the misogynistic work culture and hysterical editorials of the Herald as a whole, and started writing a speculative letter of application to the left-leaning Zube Daily Times. He stopped dead halfway through tidying up his CV, as he heard shouting from the other end of the sports desk.

"TARIC'S OUT! COME ON! GET IN THERE ZAPA!"

Tyler's heart sank. That was the skeet shooting final. It had gone to a four-way shoot-off for the minor medals, after Gaspin Paternovsk had secured gold for Kazerjan; Taric was the first to blink, missing his fourth shot. If one more fell before Vincenzo Zapatelli, the far-right icon who was wanted on multiple criminal charges - including illegal handling of a gun in a public place - would be joining the pantheon of Kytlerian Olympic heroes.

Tyler's a patriot. No question about it. And he'd been cheering the Kytlerian athletes furiously throughout this week. But not this one. Not now. To be a patriot, he reckoned, meant not lauding violent law-breakers with extremist politics as national heroes.

Seven rounds done. Nobody out. Zapatelli started the round. Hit. Cheers on the desk. Dean Murray of Osarius next. He hit. Andrei Metkiy of Shofercia. He was shaking. He was crumbling. Every jitter was being egged on.

"HE'S GONE! HE'S GONE! ZAPA'S GOT A MEDAL! TRY ARRESTING HIM NOW, YOU LIBERAL PANSIES!"

Tyler walked off in disgust and returned to writing his application, in between writing a preview of the Kytlerian Lacrosse League.
Last edited by The Kytler Peninsulae on Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Out of international isolation and... winning things? Huh?

Host: World Lacrosse Championship 13, Baptism of Iron X, 7th World Championships of Babbage Rules Football, and Games of the IX Olympiad.

Won: World Lacrosse Championship 13, Elephant Chess Cup 7, and Memorial Cup. Also top of the medals table at the Games of the IX Olympiad (24 gold, 63 total medals).
World Lacrosse Championship 12 and World Bowl 47 quarter-finalists, World Bowl XV and World Baseball Classic 20 octo-finalists
28 medals, 10 gold, at Games of the VI Olympiad (13th in medal table)
7 medals, 5 gold, at VII Olympic Winter Games (7th in medal table)
26 medals, 10 gold, at Games of the VIII Olympiad (9th in medal table)

Cafundeu
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Cafundeu » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:28 am

This cutoff is for day 7
Monopolists' Sport Achievements:
World Cup Committee President (WCs 55-57)
Cup of Harmony 27 and 48 Champions; World Cup 44 runner-ups

AOCAF 33, DBC 15/17/18 Champions; BoF 19(WC32) runner-ups; Oxen Cup 1/8 Champions; WGPC9 Champions
DBC 16; OFC6; AOCAF27/30 runner-ups; Q-Cup 2 and Women's World Cup 11 Champions

Olympics: Host of V Winter Olympics and VI Summer Olympics - III Summer Olympics: best overall performance
Hosted: WWC8; BoF21 (WC34); BoF30 (WC43); BoF37 (WC50); CoH31; CoH36
HOST OF WORLD CUP 36, WORLD CUP 42, WORLD CUP 48, WORLD CUP 52 AND WORLD CUP 57

Carasatoga
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Carasatoga » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:06 am

EDIT: OOC: Aww, I miss the cutoff. Oh well.

Brandy ran to Harvey's room after he had departed the changing rooms and returned to the suites in order to console he, his brother, and his entire team. They had just lost in the men's relay, badly. She saw him in one of the common rooms and hugged him hard, pounding into him and winding the strong swimmer.
"Oh, Harve! I'm so sorry!" She started crying and so he kissed the top of her head.
"It's fine Brandy. This just wasn't our year, we're all young and we can come back next year."
"But still," she pleaded, "you guys worked so hard..." She buried her head back into his chest.
"Brandy? What's the matter?" Cole had walked into the room and seen Brandy upset. At his voice she leaped off of Harvey and tackled the younger brother.
"Oh Cole! I'm so sorry!" Harvey then started to laugh and walked over to pry her off of his sibling.
"That's enough there, Mitchells." He carried her to the couch and sat her down.
"All right. I'm okay." She perked up some and wiped the tears from her eyes.
Cole started laughing, "Sorry our loss impacted you so much."
"Oh shut up guys." and now Brandy started chuckling along.
"Don't get worked up, B." Harvey sat down and began to pat her on the back, he was so strong though that it was more like a slam on the back and Brandy went forward violently each time he did it.
"Thanks!" she said quickly while snatching up his arm, stopping him from trying to kill her again by comforting her.
"He's right Brandy, you just have to focus on yourself now, not us. You're events will be here soon, and you need to win us a medal." Cole smiled at his long time friend and she stopped crying all together and smiled back.
"You're right. I'll do my best." Her eyes began to mist again.
Harvey then rolled his eyes. "Okay, soap opera is over, turn the channel. Hey, Kenz." McKenzie Mathews walked up to the group and nudged Cole with his shoulder.
"Hey guys, ready to go, Cole?"
"Yea, let's go." Cole and McKenzie turned around to leave.
"Hey, where you guys going?" Brandy was curious as to where they headed, some would say Brandy was nosy... well most would say that... everyone would say that.
Cole answered, "Oh, just to eat. I need a shoulder to cry on too." Cole sighed and then laughed as Kenz punched his arm.
"Well, we could come." Brandy was actually hungry, and needed something to cheer her up.
"Oh, no. You guys just chill here. Harvey needs some alone time with her after the crushing of his Olympic dreams." Cole smiled as his brother gave him the Carasatogan finger, too vulgar to describe.
"Alright, then. See you guys later." Brandy leaned back onto Harvey and they started talking, and then soon after arguing.
Cole and McKenzie had already gone by then and as they were walking down the hall Kenz nudged Cole with his elbow. "Nice save with the whole 'Harvey needs alone time'. After today, I just really need some alone time too... with you." Cole blushed as walked away towards the opposite wall of the hallway.
"Stop. You're embarrassing me."Both laughed and then came together hard, almost knocking Cole over.
They continued walking down the hall until Kenz spoke again, "So, when should we tell everyone?"
"Tell everyone what?" Cole wasn't very good at lying.
"Asshole. Tell everyone that we're engaged."
Cole looked at his best friend and lover and fiance. "After the games. We have to be there to support Brandy now, plus it would be too hectic to say anything right now, I mean they don't even know we're going out let alone engaged. I can't wait though." He smiled and then as the two exited the building they clasped hands, not caring what the other athletes thought, only that they were in love and that they were damn hungry...
Last edited by Carasatoga on Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Carasatoga Authority Republic
Demonym: Carasatogan || Population: 32,526,307 || Trigramme: CRG || Located: Rushmore

Champions: U-18 IBC 1, Women's Soccer World Cup I
Runners-Up: Volleyball World Expo I, II & VI, West Guiana Softball Invite II
3rd Place: World Softball Classic, Saugeais Baseball Tournament, Volleyball World Expo III & IV, Beaver Cup, Lake Moritz Curling Gloriakos
Hosted: IBC IX, Volleyball World Expo I, II, III & VI, World Indoor Soccer Championship 1, U-18 IBC 1, Lake Moritz Curling Gloriakos

Rankings:
Football: NR Basketball: 26 Baseball: 50 Beach Soccer: 54 Ice Hockey: NR
Indoor Soccer: 10 Lacrosse: 46 Soccer: NR Softball: 3 Volleyball: 3

Kernansquillec
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kernansquillec » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:40 am

THE DAILY KERNANSQUILLECAN

23rd August

2 DAYS AND 2 GOLDS
Kernansquillec is doing very well at it's first Olympic games. First of all was Abigail Edwards who won bronze in the shooting on the second Day. And then on Day 4 Ella Kaur pulled off a great performance to reach the final of the women's judo 52kg which she lost but still took the silver medal, Kernansquillec's second of the games.

But if the performances here were something special and created some real celebrations in the Kernansquillecan sporting community what was to come was even better. First it was Zak O'Neill in the men's table tennis. He had done very well to reach the semi-finals of the tournament and rushed into a 3-1 lead needing only one more game to reach the Olympic final. But his opponant, Vanse Sokolowva, hit back to bring it to three all. A nervous final set saw Zak win the game 4-3 and reach the final where he would face Andy Barcali who had easialy got into the final 4-0.

It started very poorly for O'Neill who lost the first two games 11-9 & 12-10. He got the 3rd game 11-8 but was yet again outclassed in the fourth which he lost 11-5. It looked as if it was all over and Kernansquillec's hopes of a gold medal would have to be completed by someone else. However those Kernansquillecan who stayed on the TV couveridge to see the game out had a majectic performance to admire. O'Neill didn't give up, he took the fifth 11-7, and the sixth 11-8. It would yet again go down to the final game. By now nearly everyone watching TV at that time went on the KBC 2 to see the final game. And Zak O'Neill just edged it to win 11-9 and win Kernansquillec's first ever Olympic Gold Medal.

A truely fantastic performance started celebrations across the nation and may well have inspired the men's 4x200m freestyle relay team who went into the final as under-dogs. Not many people would have bet on them taking a medal. So went Sam Hope, Hamilton Sciverit, Moore Senneville and Roslyn Viens won the event in a time of 7:03.36 it took everyone by surprise. One commentator from Delaclava described their victory as "a miracle".

Kernansquillec are currantly 15th in the medals table. A gold medal could see them jump to 9th. Liventia are top at the moment with 5 golds and 4 silvers.

5 men now have their names in the history books winning Kernansquillec's first ever gold medals. Will the ladies give us Kernansquillec's first female gold medalist tommorow? Can the men win even more medals? So far it's been great to watch and let's hope it keeps on going and getting better.

HEARTBREAK FOR LAURETTE
Laurette Brochu had qualified for the equestrian eventing final after some great performances in the qualification rounds. Despite being Kernansquillec's second seed she had outclassed Edward Price Kernansquillec's top seed throught out the Olympic games. And in the final she finished in the position no one ever wants to finish in: 4th. She was just 0.4 off of the bronze medal after a brave effort on her behalf.

She might not have won the medal today and sealed her place in the history books, but this experiance will hopefully help her in the futur and she'll be back at the next Olympic games to try and finaly finish on the podium.

TEAM SPORTS ROUND-UP

FOOTBALL
Kernansquillec's men team won their second group game against Sargossa 2-0 with Kai Holmes scoring both goals. They currantly top Group 5 with a 100%. They have yet to concead a goal.
The women's team were however unable to win their second match as they draw 1-1 with group leaders Jasĭyun. They are only ahead of the Green Girls on goals scored. 17 year old forward Charlotte Davies scored the goal in the 24th before the Kers conceaded late on in the 76th.

HANDBALL
Kernansquillec's men won their group opener 32-21 against Euskirribakondara. But they couldn't manage a second win as they draw 24-24 with Taeshan. The Green and Whites still top the Group on GD but could be overtaken by Cafundéu who have a game in hand.
Kernansquillec's ladies continued their 100% start as they edged out Iglesian Archipelago 28-24. They top Group 2 two points clear of hosts Cafundéu.

FIELD HOCKEY
Kernansquillec's men won their opener in style beating Ferkas 3-0. The Ladies however did even better than that, running out 8-2 winners over Stachland on MD1. On the second day the men weren't in action but are still in second place with a game in hand. The Ladies continued their winning record with a high scoring affair over Stuffed Taxidermists with a 5-3 victory. They top their Group.

BASKETBALL
Kernansquillec's men lost their first game 81-71 to Franklim. But they hit back in their second match against Hanafordlandia with a 92-65 victory. They're 3rd overal.
The Ladies won their second game 88-56 over Jasĭyun to maintain their 100% record. Their second behind Mytannion on point differance.

RUGBY SEVENS
Kernansquillec's ladies won their third in a row to top Group 4. They won a tight affair 19-17 against Civil Citizenry. The men's team who won the Rugby Union World Cup have yet to start.

SOFTBALL
Kernansquillec's female team has one win and a defeat after two games. They lost 2-1 against Civil Citizenry yesterday and are in third place.

GAELIC FOOTBALL
The men's team have two wins from two games after their latest win. They beat Jasĭyun 32-9 and top their group. However the women's team have had the opposite start with two strait defeats, the latest a 18-15 defeat to the Olympic hosts.
Winners of the 17th Rugby Union World Cup
Domestic Newswire ~ Football: 66th ~ UICA: 44th ~ Handball: 3rd
WANT A KIT? K KITS CAN HELP

Runners-up at Copa Rushmori XXI and at the XIV Handball World Cup
3rd Place at the WSWC I
4th Place at the 42nd Baptism of Fire & 19th Di Bradini Cup
Qualified for the 57th, 73rd and 74th World Cups

Thatius
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Thatius » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:37 pm

What a day! Thatius accomplishes more, but no medal yet

Lasft, Cafundeu

A beacon of hope was raised today by the Thatian athletes participating in the VI Summer Olympics in Lasft, Cafundeu. Truly remarkable, considering these might be the best results so far. 26 athletes of Thatius participated in seven events, with two people qualifying for another round. So let's start with football, shall we?

Not much in that category, to be honest. The Women's Team tied with Natatnat Island. From local reporters, that match was a boring game, filled with only three attempts at goal by the Thatians.

Now we turn to sailing, where two competitors, Joanna Friedmann and Robin Soderlan raced to gain the best place possible. Friedmann managed 30th and 34th places in her two first races in the Women's Sailboard Event, while Soderlan was disqualified. An official inquiry is still in the process by the Thatian National Olympic Committee on why Mr. Soderlan was disqualified from the event. He was ranked at the end of the day as number 15, thanks to the disqualification. Sailing referees said that it was due to Soderlan's dinghy hitting another competitor's boat, and therefore his opponent lost some ground. Hopefully the issue will be resolved soon, but that might be the end of any hope of a medal for Robin Soderlan.

Water Polo was next. The Women's Team beat out fellow ally, Ithadi, 11-7. It's sad to see that we had to compete against a brother-nation, but glad to see that we beat them all the same. This marks the third time of these Sixth Olympics that Ithadites and Thatians had to place each other.

In the wide world of swimming, six Thatian Olympic swimmers competed in today's races. Twins Lyle and Kyle Shoemaker placed 25th and 47th place, respectively, in the Men's 200m Backstroke competition. Both Lyle and Kyle are very active when it comes to competing each other, but it is clear that Lyle bested Kyle today. In women's swimming, we had the 200m Breaststroke, in which Mary Piers and Jenny Wood both swam in. Wood placed an abysmal 73rd, but Piers actually qualified for the next round as she placed 14th!!! Soon after the 200m Breaststroke event, the 100m Freestyle took place. Olga Koravo and Vania Kingman swam in the race, and only Olga had successful results. Koravo placed 13th and Ms. Kingman placed 86th. Koravo as well qualified for the next stage.

Looking towards the future, Thatius is excited. Today marked the first time that a swimmer made it past the swimming heats into the next round. While this may not seem like much, Thatians have been waiting their turn in line for a long time. It may happen that Koravo or Piers might end up with a medal, or it may not. They made it to the next stage, which is the best news we've heard in a long time. We are looking forward to the Women's 200m Breaststroke and the 100m Freestyle races.

Mesoland
Senator

Founded: Feb 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mesoland » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:58 pm

Quick Sports Roundup, MBC News

"And I'm here in Lasft, Cafundeu, for the VI Olympiad, and, I am sorry to report, we are without success once again today. Kaspar Kugel failed to qualify for the 200m Mens Backstroke, finishing in 29th. In Judo, we had no success either, with neither of our competitors progressing further than the Quarter Finals. Mesoland are now in a sorry 38th Place on the medal table. New Montreal States now leads the table after bagging a few more medals, to up their tally to 15 medals. This is Jerome Makanzala, signing off, from Lasft"

OOC: Sorry, I didn't have time to do much today. Back to usual, full broadcast tomorrow, but then, for a week starting Thursday, I'm away, and it'll probably only be a short broadcast like this each day.

The Kytler Peninsulae
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 26, 2011

Postby The Kytler Peninsulae » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:03 pm

CAN I SAY I TOLD YOU SO, TOLD YOU SO, TOLD YOU SO
CAN I SAY I TOLD YOU SO, LAPASA WOULD BE A LOSER?

On and on the sound echoed through the newsroom of the Bay City Herald. Rewa Lapasa, who led after the snatch, dropped the bar on her first clean and jerk attempt, recoiled away in agony, and was forced to withdraw with a knee injury. Pantheria Chandrašakir went on to secure a first gold medal of the Games for Kagdazka and Pazhujebu, and the aboriginal woman who struck a blow for gender and racial equality in The Kytler Peninsulae was returning home in agony.

"The bitch deserved it," one of the journalists said, before quoting the two slanderous articles on her that had been written earlier in the week. "That Sterling Cunningham, see? He was ready. He didn't believe the hype. He's made of stern stuff, made of the right stock..."

Tyler gasped openly.

"...and he trained hard and got himself in position. Rewa clearly di..."

"She led after the snatch!" Tyler insisted. "And even if she'd just made that lift and not got another one, she'd have ended up with the silver medal!"

"But she didn't, that's the whole point! And she didn't because she was stuck up being this representative for a community who couldn't get a nation together. We've got this damn nation together in ten years flat, that's WE - you, me, the other good white folks of this nation, and the violent darkies are taking the damn credit!"

Tyler just walked off.

"And you're a loser too, you liberal tosspot. What the hell are you doing working here? How the hell did you get this job? Huh?"

Tyler kept walking, refusing to take the bait.

"See, you don't know yourself."

He headed to the senior management team's offices, for two things. Firstly, to volunteer for extra time this evening, to cover the baseball. Secondly, to report what he saw as harassment at work.

-----

Lapasa may have been denied by injury, but there was still triumph in the Cassino Bons Investimentos as Sterling Cunningham took gold in the men's 105kg category to take the Kytlerian weightlifting tally to a staggering seven. He took the gold after Jean-Paul Cloutier of New Montreal States failed at his final lift in the clean and jerk; he settled for bronze, while his compatriot Félix Legros, who led after the snatch, won silver.

The Kytlerians also picked up only their third medal outside of the Cassino Bons Investimentos today, and have completed the set of colours in non-weightlifting events as Rolf Faraday took silver in a thrilling men's K-1 slalom final. Faraday was fourth after the first run, but matched the second run of Soter Bergara of Astograth to maintain the provisional lead, before Alain Blachon of Southern Cynocephali produced a disappointing second run to guarantee Faraday a medal. Then a missed gate from Barry Tuncyi of Krytenia - who was attempting to overturn a gap of a full second to Kelssek's John Barton - secured at least silver. Barton, however, needed only produce an error-free run to defend that lead - he could afford a time as slow as 86.03 to take the gold. Two men had gone quicker than that in the first run and not even qualified for the second.

Barton missed the fourth gate, and suddenly the two-second penalty made it possible that Faraday would snatch an astonishing gold. It was not to be, however; Barton nailed the rest of the run to come through with an adjusted time of 85.85, defeating Faraday by less than two-tenths of a second.

Faraday, his silver medal safely secured, was jocular about how gold was almost gifted to him: "I wish he'd just done an 83.3 again and not made me think I might have it - he teased me!" Sylvia Côté missed out in the women's K-1 slalom, eliminated before the final run with a ninth-place finish; however, she was "delighted" at Faraday's medal. "He absolutely deserves it - he's been fantastic in training and he got it right on the day."

The other standout performances were in the aquatics centre, not something that could have been said all week about the Kytlerians. They hadn't, however, had Cathy Nadroga competing yet, and the 20-year-old former gymnast took fourth spot in the springboard qualification round. "I still have the [forward] three-and-a-half [somersault with] pike saved up for the final," Cathy promised reporters. "I think a medal is very possible."

Meanwhile, in the bigger pool, Murman Memmersheim finally made a semi-final, with the tied-11th best time in the 200m individual medley. "This is the level I knew I was capable of achieving," he said afterwards. "Let's hope I can find another level tomorrow. I know I am due to."

Disappointment in the velodrome, though, as a team led by Freyja Þórðardóttir failed to progress through the women's team sprint qualification. Their time of 48.444 was around half a second off the qualifying mark, and almost a full second behind the best time, set by the team from Zwangzug. Rumours that they used time dilation technology to their advantage by making the clock run 1.6% slower have been denied by officials; were they true, their "real" time would have been 48.302, putting them eleventh and allowing Kernansquillec to qualify instead. No protests were launched by the Kernansquillec team, who are not believed to have heard of the time dilation practice in any event.

In other news: Vincent Williams is three shots off the lead after the first round of the men's singles golf demonstration event at a Clube Coluna Social layout that is being described as "the most brutal golf course you will ever see"; the softball team beat North Chicanan 4-2, all the runs coming in the first inning; Kay Schlesinger's 55.15 was a personal best in the women's 100m freestyle, but both she and Allana Makuba (55.05) were a full second off the qualifying pace; the chef de mission for the Kytlerian team, Illokors Luders, has admitted that his team "could have been even bigger and better", and that the plan is for "possibly 400 entries" for the seventh Summer Games, with rowing and sailing seen as the focus of development efforts; while Cathy Nadroga stood out for the right reasons in the diving, Ma'ai Beeke definitely didn't in the men's springboard preliminaries, blowing his final dive to finish 52nd and immediately below his unheralded compatriot Alejandro Maia; the women's basketball team went to a 2-1 record following a surprise 71-67 defeat of Civil Citizenry in a thrilling see-saw battle that saw the lead change hands thirteen times.
Out of international isolation and... winning things? Huh?

Host: World Lacrosse Championship 13, Baptism of Iron X, 7th World Championships of Babbage Rules Football, and Games of the IX Olympiad.

Won: World Lacrosse Championship 13, Elephant Chess Cup 7, and Memorial Cup. Also top of the medals table at the Games of the IX Olympiad (24 gold, 63 total medals).
World Lacrosse Championship 12 and World Bowl 47 quarter-finalists, World Bowl XV and World Baseball Classic 20 octo-finalists
28 medals, 10 gold, at Games of the VI Olympiad (13th in medal table)
7 medals, 5 gold, at VII Olympic Winter Games (7th in medal table)
26 medals, 10 gold, at Games of the VIII Olympiad (9th in medal table)

Sargossa
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 08, 2009
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Sargossa » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:11 pm

"Ladies and gentlemen this is your captain speaking. We would ask you to return to your seats as we begin our final descent into Lasft."

On board the Sargossan government jet ministerial staff obediently took their seats.

"You did let them know we were coming?" Domingo Orbina, a former professional boxer, turned successful business, turned politician, was three days into his tenure as Minister of Sport and he was less than impressed at the nation's Olympic performance so far. So he'd commended a jet, pointed it at Atlantian Oceania and was looking forward to yelling at someone.

"Perhaps he'll meet us at the airport?"

"Oh he'd better."

"Where is he?"

Ricardo Aranda shuffled nervously in front of the stern gaze of the Minister. "Unfortunately something pressing kept Señor Ortega at the Olympic village."

"And what exactly was this something pressing that kept Señor Ortega at the Olympic village?"

"About 400lbs. Sir."

The silence seemed to stretch on forever as Aranda felt a growing unpleasant sense that he'd just seriously crossed the line. That was until the big ex-fighter leant back and let out a huge guffaw.

"I like you Aranda. You have balls. You may yet be spared. Now I think we'll check out this village Ortega seems to enjoy so much. Lead on."

The small motorcade sped through the Cafundelense countryside. Leaving the city of Lasft behind as they heading towards the Olympic Village.

"Three medals Ricardo. Three. Not good enough. That's level with Mytannion. That's behind Civil Citizenry. These are peasant nations Ricardo. People's who were hurling around their own faeces while we were building great cities and conquering the waves. The Citiz even speak French. French! And still we trail them. The boss is not impressed and neither am I. Something is wrong Ricardo and you're going to tell me exactly what it is."

The pool area of the Sargossan delegation's hotel resembled same lost city, with golden colonnades and glistening waterfalls and all kinds of exotic flora. On a lilo in the centre of the pool, like some great surfaced whale, floated the President of Sargossa's Olympic Association. Luís Ortega had yet to drag his vast bulk anywhere near one of the actual venues. He liked the hotel. And he was in charge.

"Ortega!"

And just like that his reverie was shattered, his spiced rum hit the water with a plop.

"Wha...who?"

Suddenly Ortega was aware of a number of suited figures at the pool's edge. He recognised his underling Ricardo Aranda but the rest were new to him. A massive figure with arms like tree trunks stood in the centre. He clicked his fingers and was handed an ornate wooden box. He opened it and carefully withdrew a metallic object from inside.

Ortega was dimly aware of a scream from the other side of the pool but all other thoughts leaked from his mind as he found himself staring down the silenced barrel of an ornate pistol.

Despite the silencer the shots still seemed abominably loud as Orbina unloaded two rounds into the lilo. He couldn't help but smile as he watched the flailing fatso sink below the water.

"In case you've missed the subtle symbolism Mr President, you have been fired. You and your entire executive committee. Austerity messages? With the funding you've been given? Forged passports? Endless submitting the same list of competitors? You signed up athletes for events that don't even exist you massive, lazy tit. My friend Ricardo here is in charge now."

"And me?" Ex-OAS President Luís Ortega managed to splutter.

"You, you soggy fool, you'll be returning to Sargossa. In a diplomatic bag."
Last edited by Sargossa on Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Champions: Cup of Harmony 41 / Di Bradini Cup 13 / Copa Rushmori V / Copa Rushmori XIV / Copa Rushmori XX / Copa Rushmori XXXVIII / Copa Rushmori XXXIX
Sargossa at the Olympics

" . . . those dictatorship-loving thundertwats . . ."

Khabarovsk Krai
Envoy

Founded: Aug 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Khabarovsk Krai » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:30 pm

Day 7 Roundup

We have a Medal!

After 6 medal-less days, Khabarovsk Krai finally won a medal and it came from an unexpected source - Judo. For that and more news, here is the daily round-up show.

Cycling - Men's Team Pursuit qualification
at Velódromo Calçadão

The Team-Pursuit team put in a valiant effort, but alas it was not enough and they only managed a 27th place finish.
27 Lovell/Strijker/Hartung/Reeve (KKR)         4:03.953

Cycling - Men's Team Sprint qualification
at Velódromo Calçadão

A strong performance by the Sprinters meant Khabarovsk Krai only missed out of qualification by 2 places.
10 van Diermen/Heutinck/Lamoureux (KKR)      43.772

Cycling - Women's Team Sprint qualification
at Velódromo Calçadão

A superb ride saw the Womens Team go one step further than the mens. They qualified 2nd fastest overall which suggests they have a bonified chance of a medal come the final if they put in a repeat performance that is as good.
2 Pettersson/Numminen/Sulander (KKR)             47.708

Judo - Men's 73kg
at Dojo do Zé

Teodros Fidru defied all his critics back home by winning a silver medal in the Mens 73kg Judo. By winning 4 fights against world class opposition, he finally justifed his selection choice and silenced doubters who questioned his commitment. In the first round, he defeated Dé Silva Tanaka of Cafundéu by waza-ari and followed this up with an ippon victory over Tiequan Zhao of Usubaki. A 3rd round victoy came against Memphis Kennedy of Carasatoga again via ippon but it was far from straight forward as both fighters suffered a clash of heads mid-way through the bout which required treatment. In the semi-final, Teodros managed a waza-ari against Sam Jay of Greenjungle to guarentee a medal and a final place. Alas though, it was not to be and in the final Fidru was defeated by ippon by Thomas Flitchtman of Shofercia.

Teodros Fidru (KKR) def. Dé Silva Tanaka (CAF)
Tiequan Zhao (USU) def. by Teodros Fidru (KKR)
Teodros Fidru (KKR) def. Memphis Kennedy (CRG)
Teodros Fidru (KKR) def. Sam Jay (GRE)
Thomas Flitchtman (SHO) def. Teodros Fidru (KKR)

Judo - Women's 57kg

Confidence was high after Fidru's success but Milla Walsh crashed out in the first round thanks to an ippon defeat to Sabiha Rahman of Akbarabad.
Milla Walsh (KKR) def. by Sabiha Rahman (AKB)

Rowing - Men's Lightweight Double Sculls heats
at UFC - Universidade Federal Cafundelense

A strong late surge saw Zachary Porter and Lincoln Cardwell qualify in second place behind a Liventian duo which puts them in pole position to win a medal if they can repeat their performance in the semi-finals and final.
2 Zachary Porter/Lincoln Cardwell (KKR)         6:17.37 Q

Rowing - Men's Coxless Fours heats

The Men's Coxless Fours qualified from the heats with a assured 2nd place finish as they saw off teams from North Chicanan and Carpathia and Ruthenia.
2 Denham/Mackenzie/Robson/Sexton (KKR)                          5:58.35 Q

Rowing - Women's Double Sculls heats

In the Womens Double Sculls Lisandra Ijsselstein and Gloria Romani qualified by the skin of their teeth to grab a semi-final appearance. They fought off a late comeback from Doxireds Lolagar and Fotu Padelsava of Civil Citizenry to grab 3rd place
3 Lisandra Ijsselstein/Gloria Romani (KKR)      7:07.12 Q

Swimming - Women's 100m Freestyle heats
at Complexo Aquático Peixe-Boi

Zoe Ramaciotti qualified by the skin of her teeth for the semi-finals of the Women's 100m Freestyle heats in the 16th and final place. If she wants to push for a medal though, she will have to improve her time considerably as competition in the pool is extremely fierce.
16 Zoe Ramaciotti (KKR)                54.04
88 Kira Patino (KKR) 56.99

Swimming - Women's 200m Breaststroke heats

A strong, assured swim saw Piper Michell qualify in 9th place to progress to the Women's 200m Breaststroke heats. We rate her as somewhat a dark horse because she has the athleticism and skills needed to get a medal but whether she is mentally tough enough to accept this responsiblity is another thing.
9 Piper Michell (KKR)             2:24.78
78 Mary Paine (KKR) 2:35.31

Swimming - Women's 4x200m Freestyle heats

Khabarovsk Krai qualified from the Women's 4x200m Freestyle heats in 6th place which gives up hope of a medal chance. If they can shave 3/10s of a second from there time then they would be of the same level as the team from Capitalizt SLANI that qualified first and look like the team to beat
6 Rutledge/Conyers/Brett/Blackwood (KKR)               7:53.18

Lacrosse - Men's matchday three
at Condomínio Zona de Teste

A draw with Delaclava saw Khabarovsk Krai 2nd overall on goal difference in the Mens Lacrosse. Emeterio Benavidez scored 3 goals in what was an extremly entertaining game.
Carasatoga (CRG) 5–12 Taeshan (TAE)
Kernansquillec (KER) 14–10 Bucknia (BCK)
Delaclava (DEL) 7–7 Khabarovsk Krai (KKR)

Pld W D L GF GA GD
1 Delaclava 3 2 1 0 29 18 +11
2 Khabarovsk Krai 3 2 1 0 31 26 +5
3 Taeshan 3 2 0 1 29 24 +5
4 Bucknia 3 1 0 2 35 36 −1
5 Kernansquillec 3 1 0 2 23 29 −6
6 Carasatoga 3 0 0 3 31 45 −14

Lacrosse - Women's matchday three
at Condomínio Zona de Teste
A thrilling encounter at the Condomínio Zona de Teste saw Khabarovsk Krai defeat Landau Institute 18-15. Georgia Slijkhuis scored 5 times and Afuluenu Nwachukwu 4 times as Khabarovsk Krai survived a second half comeback to win the game.
Landau Institute (LID) 15–18 Khabarovsk Krai (KKR)
Altimarus (USA) 4–10 Kernansquillec (KER)

Pld W D L GF GA GD
1 Kelssek 2 1 1 0 24 14 +10
2 Khabarovsk Krai 2 1 1 0 27 24 +3
3 Kernansquillec 3 2 0 1 29 27 +2
4 Landau Institute 3 1 0 2 29 34 −5
5 Altimarus 2 0 0 2 6 16 −10

The Kiaser Colonies
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kiaser Colonies » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:58 pm

7 is not a lucky number after all. Day 7: No medals. Days without medals: 7. The slow day with only 2 events that The Kiaser Colonies entered means that there was no chance of a medal. Jennifer Cole was disappointing in the 100m freestyle heats and finished in 68th place. At this stage I was losing the will to live until I saw the womens football match day 3 when they recorded a 2-1 win against Southern Cynocephali. The team were outstanding and dominated the match. In the 9th minute They had already scored a goal to my joy. The second goal came with only 3 minutes to go and gave us a 2-0 lead. With seconds to spare, Southern Cynocephali retained a goal to pull some dignity back. This performance gives me some hope that we will be able to acquire a medal in this sport. As I said before now it is all down to the team sports and the athletics to receive a medal.

New Montreal States 0–1 Stuffed Taxidermists
Southern Cynocephali 1–2 The Kiaser Colonies

Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
1 Stuffed Taxidermists 2 2 0 0 4 2 +2 6
2 The Kiaser Colonies 3 2 0 1 4 3 +1 6
3 New Montreal States 3 1 1 1 3 2 +1 4
4 Southern Cynocephali 2 0 1 1 2 3 −1 1
5 Logria 2 0 0 2 2 5 −3 0
Winner of Rugby World Cup 18 and R7WC 2.
Host of Rugby League World Cup XVII

Hosted: Domestic leagues, Rugby League World Cup XVII

Advanced passed groups/qualifiers: Rugby World Cup 17 (Quarter-finals), Copa Rushmori VI, Rugby World Cup 18, R7WC 2, Beach Cup 13, 9th GCF World Twenty20, Rugby League World Cup XVII (Quarter-finals)

3rd Copa Rushmori VI, Beach Cup 13
2nd None
1st Rugby World Cup 18, Rugby 7's World Cup 2, gold medal men's doubles badminton at one iteration of the Olympics.

Australian and proud!

Krytenia
Senator

Founded: Apr 22, 2004

Postby Krytenia » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:13 pm

"I revel in the nonsense; it's why I'm in Anaia."
Capital: Emberton ⍟ RP Population: ~180,000,000 ⍟ Trigram: KRY ⍟ iTLD: .kt ⍟ Demonym: Krytenian, Krytie (inf.)
Languages: English (de jure), Spanish, French, Welsh (regional)

Hosts: Cup of Harmony 7, AOCAF 1, Cup of Harmony 15, World Cup 24, AOCAF 13, World Cup 29, AOCAF 17, AOCAF 23, World Cup 40, Cup of Harmony 32, Baptism of Fire 32, AOCAF 27, Baptism of Fire 36, World Cup 50, Baptism of Fire 40, Cup of Harmony 64, AOCAF 48, World Cup 75, AOCAF 40, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 2
Champions: AOCAF 52, Cup of Harmony 78, CAFA 6
Runner-Up: AOCAF 7, World Cup 58, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 1
Creator, AOCAF & Cygnus Cup - Host, VI Winter Olympics (Ashton) & VII Summer Olympics (Emberton)

Vulshain
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vulshain » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:26 pm

Vulshainian Olympic News

Day 7: There is Hope...Tomorrow!

Hello everyone! This is Yermolai Vadimaron for VCNMN's Vulshainian Olympic News reporting live from Lasft, Cafundeu!

While Vulshain did not win any medals today, many are looking forward to tomorrow, as the events held today proved that Vulshain has several chances to win some medals.

While both Velimir Bernard and Janika Balázs both lost in the Men's 3m Springboard qualification rounds, Vulshain's Gold Sisters, Rebekka and Alania Reinhilde both qualified. In a display of excellent sportsmanship, Rebekka Reinhilde gave Xa Susinaristre of Vekaiyu a hug and a kiss to congratulate her for a job well done. "Xa was a very skilled diver out there. I look forward to competing with her tomorrow." Both the Reinhilde sisters won earlier in the Olympics Vulshain's first Summer Olympics gold medal in the Women’s Synchronized 3m Springboard.

In fencing, Vulshain has a huge chance to go onto the finals, thanks to both Con Persakis and Bernd Gottfried Ulrich who did an outstanding job in their matches against the fencers from Sibirsky, Euskirribakondara, Altimarus, and Bergnovinaia in the Men's Foil event. "Yes! Oh yes! We are going to the final rounds!" The excitment created by their stunning success can clearly be noticed by Con's shouting. Bernd added, "This is good! We now have a chance. However, we are still going to practice and train hard before tomorrow. This is very important to not only us and fellow athletes, but also our beloved Vulshain."

In the Women's Coxed Eights heats, Vulshain came in eighth place. Ouch. Another disappointment was in the Men's Sailboarding event. Vilhelmas Danielius injuried his back while training prior to coming to this year's Summer Olympics, but insisted on playing anyhow. "I'm no quitter." He came in 31st. Several of his competitors have suggested that he sit the next race out, as they noticed that he was clearly in pain.

Meanwhile, in Women's Sailboarding, Helena Czesława, who has won first place twice in both Water World Championships in Sailboarding hosted by Civil Citizenry, came in fifth place. "I don't mind fifth. To me, winning isn't the important thing. What is important to me however, is that I played fair and at my best. I believe that I did that today. I think that's what is wrong with my fellow athletes: everyone is more concerned about and focused on winning instead of giving it their all and just having fun. Sure winning is fine, but I think all my fellow Vulshainians need to calm down and just relax, and not be so stressed out. Look at Yolanda Schuk of Mytannion: she was very relaxed and calm. I've even invited her to do some sailboarding for fun. She is extremely talented, and it has been a honor to compete with her."

And now: SWIMMING!

Vulshain's swimmers are very determined, and Johannes Verileyokawa clearly showed that when he came in the Men's 200m Backstroke when he came in 8[th] place during the heats. "It was a very tough race. I have to give Ilo Yeskuviye and Nestor Dinov a lot of praise: they're good." Both the swimmer from Vekaiyu and the swimmer from Savski Venac displayed amazing skills today. "I'm going to have to push myself if I have any hope of beating them," the 20-year old vulpine swimmer added.

In the Men's 200m Medley heats, both Klaus Falkstein and Nikodem Zinoviy didn't quite make it to the next round. "It's okay. There's always next time. Gives us a chance to train harder," Nikodem commented on today's swim. He did congratulate the other swimmers, especially Aleki Voslenastre of Vekaiyu and Cailean MacGabhann of Kelssek.

And in the Women's 100m Freestyle heats, both Canxami Nokastre and Annemarie Thuemerley have both qualified! Both of them were filled with joy at having qualified. However, Canxami's friend from Vekaiyu, Ikrisia Sulevire, did not. Seeing her friend upset, Canxami immediately took time out to comfort her fellow swimmer, going so far as to go out to dinner with her Vekaiyun friend later this evening. "We are very best and close friends, and while we are from different countries, well, I guess you could say that we are almost like sisters." Canxami has even invited Sulevire to visit her in Vulshain. "She is very dear to me."

And in the Women's 200m Breaststroke heats, Keena Stavetra qualified. She was not available for questions as she had to continue practicing for her event's finals. She is very dedicated to making her nation proud. She did have one comment to say, "I want to be the best there is, and I know that I can do better than 12th place."

Tomorrow, we have the semifinals and finals of the Men's 200m Backstroke, Women's 100m Freestyle semifinals, and Women's 200m Breaststroke, as well as the final rounds of the Men's Foil. And the first rounds of the Men's Individual Archery matches start tomorrow as well. We were able to talk to Adelbert Helfried, one of the archers representing Vulshain tomorrow while he was taking a break after hitting five bullseyes in a row. "I'm looking forward tomorrow. I have practiced very hard and trained day and night to get here. Even if I don't win tomorrow, it was an honor to compete here at the Olympics."

And it seems that some of Vulshain's athletes aren't waiting around till the last minute. Nicholi Watse Kaspar will be competing in the Men's Parallel Bars the following day, and he's already practicing! "There's always a time to practice," he commented. And Nicholi wasn't the only practicing early. Nadja Evren is practicing for the first Women's Sabre matches being held this Thursday, too.

This has been Yermolai Vadimaron for VCNMN coming live from Lasft, Cafundeu, and wishing all of Vulshain's athletes who are competing tomorrow good luck!

Taeshan
Senator

Founded: Aug 11, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Taeshan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:46 pm

Ah we won two medals....BITCHES
Champions - Copa Rushmori 22, Cup of Harmony 35, Di Bradini Cup 19, World Baseball Classic 13, Gridiron World Championships (World Bowl 0), World Bowl 34, World Lacrosse Championship 2

World Cup Qualifications-41, 44, 46, 59, 61(RoS), 62(Quarterfinals), 63 (RoS), 64 (Quarterfinals), 83, 84 (RoS), 85, 87

Hosts-Cup of Harmony 55, Copa Rushmori 14, Sporting World Cup 10,
Quidditch World Cup 10, World Cup of Hockey 41, World Cup 87

Todd McCloud
Senator

Founded: Oct 11, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Todd McCloud » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:20 pm

Skilusi Nails Bronze in Gymnastics
Reporting for V3 News Services, Rin Slakori

CAFUNDEU - Stapen Skilusi has earned bronze in the men's pommel horse event with a score of 15.725, presumably missing a perfect score due to a minor slip early in the routine. Skilusi has amassed one gold, two silver, and one bronze in his two years of Olympic competition.

"I'd like to be our nation's flag bearer one day," he said after he was asked about his recent successes in Olympic contention. When asked of his 'secret' to strong performances, he replied, "I don't even think I'm up there when I do it. I just think of jets flying through rings. I never understood why. My old coach told me to concentrate on other things when I do my routine, and it's definitely helped me."

Later in the day, two young swimming phenoms from Vekaiyu managed to advance passed their heats and into semifinal rounds scheduled for tomorrow's events. The first, Ilo Yeskuviye from Sinliesa, dominated the majority of his competition in both of his events, placing third in the 200m medley and backstroke events. Later on, Ikrisia Sulevire advanced to the semifinals of the 200m breaststroke event by being the last athlete to qualify, then went on to finish second in heats along with Yva Noveli, Isassi, and Sipari in the relay event.

Sayli Koveseru also placed for Vekaiyu. All athletes will be looking to improve upon Vekaiyu's performance in what has become a very important day in Olympic contention for the nation.

"We'll see," was all Yeskuviye said after being asked if he had all talents necessary to continue Vekaiyu's winning ways.

Vekaiyu's water polo teams continued to dominate their competition as well. The women's team still has yet to lose one game in the history of Vekaiyun Olympic competition, and they continued their streak with a decisive victory over Taeshan by a score of 13-5. The men's team continued to improve upon last Olympic's performance by defeating Stachland with a score of 11-5. Both teams look to advance from their respective divisions, and the women's team continues its quest to defend the gold medal earned during the Fifth Summer Olympics.
"Your uniform doesn't seem to fit. You're much too alive in it."

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi
"The worst prison would be a closed heart." - Pope John Paul II

Euskirribakondara
Minister

Founded: Jul 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Euskirribakondara » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:20 pm

Euskirribakondara is celebrating for the seventh time. We continue with the good results, one medal EVERY day! Congratulations EOC!

We achieved our first medal in Gymnastics, a very cherished sport in Euskirribakondara!

The seventh olympic medal, the third silver, and the first gymnastics medal was awarded today to Euskirribakondara. Kamo Tarrastabiloa, the second best gymnast in Euskirribakondara, achieved the 2nd position with a score of 15.900 (the gold medalist was awarded 16.000); in the event of Men's Pommel Horse.

A statue of him was inaugurated today in his hometown, Andarragaríana, in the mountainous zone of Euskirribakondara.

The king is attempting to break his record of four days dancing. Right now, he has been dancing for two days..... all the time!
Last edited by Euskirribakondara on Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Euskirribakondara: Prosperity In Diversity
Political Compass: -7.38 (EC), -6.21 (SO)

WHF and WorldVision, Entries and Results
32nd World Hit Festival Winner

Euskirribakondara
Minister

Founded: Jul 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Olimpikiren Tantxa - Tue 23 Aug - 8th Show

Postby Euskirribakondara » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:21 pm

Olimpikiren Tantxa
Broadcast from EUSK1, the main TV channel of Euskirribakondara
Armán VONOK and Ulía NESTEGARRIDIA welcome to the eighth broadcast of the program that shows what's going on with the Euskirribakondarian Olympic Team. It is broadcasted in english, so it can appeal to a broader audience.

They are back in the set, they look very happy; but everything is really organized (how weird!).

ARMÁN = EUSK1 told us not to party here :(
ULÍA = But anyway, here we are! Welcome to Olimpikiren Tantxa!
ARMÁN = It was day 7.... and as we predicted yesterday, we have a medal in Gymnastics!
ULÍA = Kamo Tarrastabiloa filled our expectations! He won a silver!
ARMÁN = A wonderful silver!
ULÍA = 15.900 was his score, whilst the gold went to a guy with 16.000
ARMÁN = Nice!

ULÍA = Perfect, that's medals for many sports!
ARMÁN = Yes.... happiness all around!
ULÍA = Three days: that's the record of the king!
ARMÁN = Dancing? Huh!? Quite a lot!
ULÍA = Well..... Tela Besugatestúa arrived to Quarterfinals on Archery. Still, it's good!
ARMÁN = Obviously!
ULÍA = Acela Dostiarra finished 8th (last) on the final!
ARMÁN = On team pursuit they didn't qualify... they got the 12th place (Kotelo/Jeskaltadú/Rosero/Zol)
ULÍA = But on Team Sprint, both teams classified for the final (men and wmen) Almeida/Jeskaltadú/Rosero and Horgokarripaldea/Jones/Narinhauregi
ARMÁN = Well, Leandro Sabaraín (in Dressage) got the 13th place, so he'll be in the final!
ULÍA = On Fencing we were defeated.
ARMÁN = And on Gymnastics, men's floor, Hoan Parlo Tertzoperrau finished 6th.
ULÍA = On Judo we were defeated, on both events.
ARMÁN = Rowing, as we said, would be the surprise, because Kunaiki/Sarpiutaldi/Siluta/Xolkoa qualified for Women's Lightweight Fours.
ULÍA = And Martin Doberxani/Armin Tagrisian qualified for Lightweight Double Sculls.
ARMÁN = On Swimming we didn't classify for anything.
ULÍA = And on Volleyball, we won over Vekaiyu! YAY!
ARMÁN = Well, the weird thing today was the disqualification of Etxeberri/Gartzia/Monkada/Supurmedako on women's 4x200m Freestyle. It seems that Gartzia didn't showed up.
ULÍA = Let's hope it was for being sick. :mad:
ARMÁN = And there's nothing much to say about this day.
ULÍA = Well, that's all.
ARMÁN = And talking about Day 8....
ULÍA = Our hopes are on
Ernesto Almeida
Ambrosio Jeskaltadú
Manoel Rosero
Nalús Horgokarripaldea
Katlyn Jones
Vania Narinhauregi

ULÍA = They are the cyclists that will try to win medals in the team sprint.
ARMÁN = Good luck to them!
ULÍA = And good night to you!

(Image fades away and the normal programming of EUSK1 begins)
Last edited by Euskirribakondara on Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Euskirribakondara: Prosperity In Diversity
Political Compass: -7.38 (EC), -6.21 (SO)

WHF and WorldVision, Entries and Results
32nd World Hit Festival Winner

Usubaki
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Usubaki » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:53 pm

Tiequan was crushed.He lost after he won in the first round.
How could he had something like that allowed to happen.
He was angry.Angry at his enemy,angry at himself.
What now ?Going back to Usubaki in shame?No way..
The other teammembers tried to encourage him,but it didnt worked.
He also lost in the repechage.Shame.Thats the only thing he felt.
How.
Last edited by Usubaki on Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Founded: Oct 19, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:00 pm

"So how are you? Er, congratulations."

"Thanks! Er, sorry, but have we met?"

"Oh probably somewhere in the shuffle. I'm Rachel Pald."

"Oh hey. Kenji Akiyama, I, uh, guess you know me," he blushed.

"Yeah. You were at the last Olympics too, right?"

"That's right, yeah."

"How does this compare? I guess I don't know what to compare it to."

"Um. You know, I...I personally feel a lot more confident, actually, about how I've prepared. And being used to the track. So, in some sense, there's a lot more pressure for me because I know I can make the top four. So I really want to try for a medal now."

He's talking all about himself, about what his teams have done, thought Rachel. Not judging him negatively, but just noting that he didn't seem like the type to give generic advice. "That makes sense, yeah. Can you do me a favor?"

"Sorry, but how long is this gonna take? I need to get some sleep tonight."

"Oh obviously! Just a quick thing," she said, loading the document--she'd finally been able to get June to e-mail it to her. "Have you seen this before?"

He looked through, laughing slightly. "Cafundelense taxes? Time dilation? Nope. Not me."

I didn't think so. "Okay. Thanks. And hey, good luck tomorrow."

"Thanks," said Kenji, and got some sleep.

"Um, hi," said June. "Congratulations."

"First in the qualifiers doesn't mean anything," giggled Susanne, "ask the Quodites."

"The...Quodites? Aren't they not here?"

"Never mind. Sorry. Thanks."

"You're welcome. Uh...so." What had Rachel said? "How does...this...compare to last time?"

"This time I'm the mature one. Ha! I don't know, the others are pretty cool so far."

"Yeah. Um. Did you, uh..." Rachel's making way too much of this. Although if someone didn't want to be known, they could always lie.

She trailed off. But trailing off after the words "Did you," under the circumstances, was a mistake. Susanne took a moment, processed that, and then tensed up. "No! Bleep you all, I'm a defending gold medalist! And with the government involved, there's no way I'm putting a toe out of line. We can come in first without bleeping help!" And with that, she stormed off.

June blinked.

"...so you're saying you didn't get her to answer the question at all?"

"Er, no," said June. "We kind of got side-tracked."

"Side-tracked? Is that supposed to be a pun?"

"No."

Rachel sighed. She, too, had gotten the e-mail, and so had Cici--the best she could tell of it, people were getting them once they started to compete.

Cici knocked at the door. "Hey, were we gonna go practice?"

"Oh yeah," said Rachel. "See you around, June."

"...Deridoy just the second Zwangzugian to get the chance to defend a gold medal, the first being Rockard obviously, so the pressure's definitely on. And speaking of being second, here's Austin Fauden, second in the men's golf after one day."

"Tied for second."

"Right. Uh, so you had a pretty consistent beginning and then got a little more erratic towards the end."

"Yes."

"Do you want to say anything more?"

"Not particularly. If you ask me a question I'll probably answer it, but if you don't, I'm not here to just give my athletic second to your opinion."

"Right. Okay. So, now that you've seen the course, expecting to improve tomorrow?"

"Not particularly, no. I mean most people are below me in the tables, so they'll have more opportunities to improve relative to me."

"But ending with an eag--oh, never mind. Good luck, Austin, and keep on that medal pace!"

"No such thing. This is just a demonstration event."

"...Right."
Factbook
IRC humor, (self-referential)
My issues
...using the lens of athletics to illustrate national culture, provide humor, interweave international affairs, and even incorporate mathematical theory...
WARNING: by construing meaning from this sequence of symbols, you have given implicit consent to the theory that words have noncircular semantic value and can be used to encode information about an external universe. Proceed with caution.

Usubaki
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Usubaki » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:02 pm

Tiequan Zhao fails to deliver,goes out after Repechage.

Today is a sad day for athletes in whole Usubaki:
Tiequan Zhao,the hope in Judo,won the first round,but got crushed in the next and lost in the repechage.
Zhao,a Korean-Japanese fighter,hasnt shown up for interviews yet.
Still,he can claim a good victory in impressive fashion by slamming out his opponent.
Zhaos family doesnt wanted to respond yet.
Stay tuned for news.
Last edited by Usubaki on Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports